Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there was to be a new Brexit referendum then LAB voters wou

SystemSystem Posts: 11,730
edited September 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there was to be a new Brexit referendum then LAB voters would be overwhelmingly for REMAIN

Lots of talk at the LAB conference today of a second Brexit referendum. This comes amidst new GQRR polling that suggests more support for the idea including 70% of LAB voters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    It seems to me that the main things Corbyn and McDonnell are interested in in the EU are workers' rights and more or less free immigration. They don't need to stay in the EU to get either of those.

Staying in the EU is however a brake on their ability to carry out many of their economic policies.

So I suspect that any agreement to stay in the Single Market for a bit is purely tactical, to ensure that they keep enough voters appalled at the Tory approach to Brexit on board and thus win the next election.

I would expect them to ditch EU constraints as soon as possible thereafer. So a vote for a Corbyn/McDonnell led Labour party is a vote for hard Brexit, with all that that implies for economic and political policy within the UK.

Of course, the Tories are unable to criticise this because they too seem to be going for a hard Brexit unless whatever grown ups are left there (are there any?) are willing to change course.

Hard times ahead.....

Oh.... and first!
This discussion has been closed.