Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson the David Miliband de nos jours?

Comments

• Options

Sky reporting Theresa May's speech in Florence will be attended by Boris, Hammond and Davis

The spotlight on TM today turns to her address at the United Nations over terrorism and in particular the role of facebook, twitter and social media in publication of terror information. She will share the address with Macron and the Italian PM.

She is putting herself on the global stage and it sets up her for her Florence speech

Whether you are a remainer, leaver or re-leaver (like myself) this has to be the biggest moment so far in Brexit

Nah the biggest moment so far in Brexit was Mrs May called an election to increase the majority bequeathed to her by David Cameron to crush the saboteurs, and well lost that majority.
    We are beyond that now - Friday is a big moment - indeed it could decide not only the shape of Brexit but also TM's future
    We are still living with that now, Mrs May doesn't have a future, it is a case of when she goes not if.
    No argument with that but you need to move on - TM will negotiate Brexit - after that a successor will need to be found
    You yourself have listed all the wickedness of Corbyn, and Mrs May made a net loss of seats against him.

How do you think she's going to manage to deal with the EU if she made a net loss again Corbyn?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2017
    O/T

Surprisingly difficult to find a bar open at midnight in Seattle on a Tuesday night. I did finally find one after about 20 minutes of walking around the city centre.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60878-d463485-Reviews-Palace_Kitchen-Seattle_Washington.html
  • Options

Mr. Flashman (deceased), Leeds fans have long been renowned for their subtle and intellectual prognostications. [As an aside, most of the replies are actually praising the Leeds fans].

Dr. Foxinsox, Corbyn's a dangerous anti-British idiot. I hope we don't live to see the smoking ruin he would inflict upon this country.

Mr. Thompson, but do you think a vote will go ahead?

Looking at the strangle hold momentum and the hard left are acquiring the next election, with Corbyn leading, will be very different and will come under a lot more scrutiny. This Country will not elect a marxist anti UK party.
    Corbyn is not anti English, or anti UK, but rather represents a different strand of Englishness. He comes from a long tradition of English radicalism, with roots in the Levellers, the Tolpuddle Martyrs, the Peterloo massacre, the Chartists, the Labour party, the ILP, CND, the Bennites and many others.

The Tories do not own Englishness.
    Corbyn sided with the IRA, entertains terrorist groups and models his economics on Venezeula, that well known thriving democracy in South America. He will not be PM
    I think that he is highly likely to be PM. Those scares did not work in June, and will not again.

There is a hell of a storm building, and hurricaine Jezza will obliterate the Tories.
    "The next financial crisis is coming. Corbyn in combination with Brexit would pretty much guarantee it"

Telegraph business opinion headline this morning.
  • Options

Sky reporting Theresa May's speech in Florence will be attended by Boris, Hammond and Davis

The spotlight on TM today turns to her address at the United Nations over terrorism and in particular the role of facebook, twitter and social media in publication of terror information. She will share the address with Macron and the Italian PM.

She is putting herself on the global stage and it sets up her for her Florence speech

Whether you are a remainer, leaver or re-leaver (like myself) this has to be the biggest moment so far in Brexit

Nah the biggest moment so far in Brexit was Mrs May called an election to increase the majority bequeathed to her by David Cameron to crush the saboteurs, and well lost that majority.
    We are beyond that now - Friday is a big moment - indeed it could decide not only the shape of Brexit but also TM's future
    We are still living with that now, Mrs May doesn't have a future, it is a case of when she goes not if.
    No argument with that but you need to move on - TM will negotiate Brexit - after that a successor will need to be found
    You yourself have listed all the wickedness of Corbyn, and Mrs May made a net loss of seats against him.

How do you think she's going to manage to deal with the EU if she made a net loss again Corbyn?
    Watch this space
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995

I note Boris Johnson (Oxon) is quoting Dr Johnson (Oxon) in reference to his relationship with the Cabinet and PM (Oxon).....interesting tip on Jo Johnson (Oxon).....

We're all doomed

Theresa May’s Brexit supremo Olly Robbins is a former Soviet sympathiser who opposed capitalism, praised Soviet leaders and lamented the demise of Communist Russia, Guido can reveal.

As as a student at Hertford College, Oxford in the nineties, “Red Robbins” wrote an article in praise of Soviet Russia for the Oxford Reform Club magazine. In a rewriting of history that would have made Seumas Milne blush, the PM’s new star Number 10 hire wrote:

“The Russian state has endured more than any other major nation in the twentieth century, and has achieved more too… I would never disagree that some of the deeds done in the name of communism were evil, but it is as well to look at the era’s aims and achievements. First among these were the aims of free and fair education, housing and healthcare. These were also the main planks of the post-war consensus here in Britain, and could hardly be described as evil. What is more, they were achieved. More Russians can read than Britons, there are almost no homeless people in Moscow, unlike London… Another achievement was the making of a state, a world power indeed, and one that its people could be proud of. The Soviet leaders changed Russia from a backward peasant autocracy, despised by the West, into a technological giant at whom the world cowered in fear for half a century.”
    Red Robbins then lamented the fall of the Soviet Union as meaning there is no longer an alternative to the real baddie: capitalism.

https://order-order.com/2017/09/19/red-robbins-mays-brexit-supremo-is-soviet-sympathiser-who-opposed-capitalism/
    A lot of nineteen year-olds in my youth could have written something like that. Somewhat surprising that a 19-year old in the 90’s did, admittedly.
    And some of it’s true, although the way that the Soviet Union got there was often appalling and inexcusable.
    And TBF, in the 90’s there were probably fewer homeless people in Moscow than London.
  • Options
    Dubliner said:

Pong said:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/19/investing/norway-pension-fund-trillion-dollars/index.html

Why didn't we do this with our oil wealth?

Our state pension could have been, like, actually funded.

Because Mrs. T needed the money to reduce personal tax?

It would have been better to invest in infrastructure for the future.

Selling off the family silver comes to mind. We should have told Sid. (If anyone else can remember that campaign!)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017

Watch this space
    We've been watching this space for the past year.

It's been a mixture of nothing happening and bad things happening.
  • Options
    TSE - all these Boris threads..... it's hurting. A pound-shop IDS these days.

I won't mention footie....
  • Options
    Pong said:

Watch this space

Well maybe good things are on the horizon - just watch this space
  • Options

I note Boris Johnson (Oxon) is quoting Dr Johnson (Oxon) in reference to his relationship with the Cabinet and PM (Oxon).....interesting tip on Jo Johnson (Oxon).....

We're all doomed

Theresa May’s Brexit supremo Olly Robbins is a former Soviet sympathiser who opposed capitalism, praised Soviet leaders and lamented the demise of Communist Russia, Guido can reveal.

As as a student at Hertford College, Oxford in the nineties, “Red Robbins” wrote an article in praise of Soviet Russia for the Oxford Reform Club magazine. In a rewriting of history that would have made Seumas Milne blush, the PM’s new star Number 10 hire wrote:

“The Russian state has endured more than any other major nation in the twentieth century, and has achieved more too… I would never disagree that some of the deeds done in the name of communism were evil, but it is as well to look at the era’s aims and achievements. First among these were the aims of free and fair education, housing and healthcare. These were also the main planks of the post-war consensus here in Britain, and could hardly be described as evil. What is more, they were achieved. More Russians can read than Britons, there are almost no homeless people in Moscow, unlike London… Another achievement was the making of a state, a world power indeed, and one that its people could be proud of. The Soviet leaders changed Russia from a backward peasant autocracy, despised by the West, into a technological giant at whom the world cowered in fear for half a century.”
    Red Robbins then lamented the fall of the Soviet Union as meaning there is no longer an alternative to the real baddie: capitalism.

https://order-order.com/2017/09/19/red-robbins-mays-brexit-supremo-is-soviet-sympathiser-who-opposed-capitalism/
    A lot of nineteen year-olds in my youth could have written something like that. Somewhat surprising that a 19-year old in the 90’s did, admittedly.
    And some of it’s true, although the way that the Soviet Union got there was often appalling and inexcusable.
    And TBF, in the 90’s there were probably fewer homeless people in Moscow than London.
    As 19 year old, I hated communism, still do.

Probably responsible for the most deaths in human history, up there will religion.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    edited September 2017

I'm not worried about the football, soon we'll start converting our chances and win every match 7-3.

As for poundshop IDS, I've got a thread up where I used that exact term about JRM.
  • Options

We're all doomed

Probably responsible for the most deaths in human history, up there will religion.
    But your 19’s were a long time after mine!
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if TM receives unanimous cabinet approval for her speech at her cabinet meeting tomorrow. Seems Boris and Hammond are on board and will be with her in Florence
  • Options

Pong said:

Watch this space

Jam tomorrow, eh!
  • Options

Pong said:

Watch this space

Jam tomorrow, eh!
    We all need to be a bit more positive - too much doom and gloom
  • Options

We're all doomed

Aye, but like Olly Robbins I went to uni in the 90s, he should have known better.
  • Options

I'm not worried about the football, soon we'll start converting our chances and win every match 7-3.

As for poundshop IDS, I've got a thread up where I used that exact term about JRM.
    I think he’s more of a vintage emporium John Redwood.
  • Options

We're all doomed

Aye, but like Olly Robbins I went to uni in the 90s, he should have known better.
    That was why I said that it was surprising he wrote it then. I was at a Uni in the 90’s but it was very much a later-life top-up. I also taught at one occasionally.
  • Options

Pong said:

Watch this space

Jam tomorrow, eh!
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

You clearly dont appreciate the seriousness of the situation!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Over the next twenty or thirty years there is a strong possibility that the EU and UK will be ploughing different furrows and traveling different directions.

In social policy, economic policy, and in international relations it is possible to imagine a significant divergence between EU and UK policies, actions and ideologies.

In terms of the development, wealth, social well being and stability of the UK and EU over the next twenty or thirty years I wonder which will adopt the better route to prosper most, suffer least and enjoy the better internal harmony.
  • Options

Oh. Apt for both in terms of my level of support for either. JRM slightly more tolerable but we are talking Burgon ratings.
  • Options

Pong said:

Watch this space

Jam tomorrow, eh!

I most certainly do recognise the seriousness of the situation but we all need to adopt a more optimistic attitude whether justified or not.
  • Options

Pong said:

Watch this space

Jam tomorrow, eh!

I most certainly do recognise the seriousness of the situation but we all need to adopt a more optimistic attitude whether justified or not.
    And the band played on.
  • Options
    https://www.cato-unbound.org/2017/09/18/sam-bowman/brexits-dangers

Right now we are about as rich, per person, as France. With the right economic reforms we could be perhaps as rich as Germany. After Brexit, our long-term living standards are likely to trend towards Italy’s. Italy is a fine country, but it’s not what I want Britain to be – especially without the weather.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    edited September 2017

Oh. Apt for both in terms of my level of support for either. JRM slightly more tolerable but we are talking Burgon ratings.
    Don't diss Burgon, he could win me a lot of money.

• Options

Pong said:

Watch this space

Jam tomorrow, eh!

And the band played on.
    You may have a surprise in store
  • Options

Yes, it was a terrible night for the iceberg, smashed into a million pieces by The RMS Titanic.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

"The next financial crisis is coming. Corbyn in combination with Brexit would pretty much guarantee it"

Exactly why I have spent the last year "Brexit prepping". Another month or so and I should be as Brexit-proof as I can manage.
  • Options

Exactly why I have spent the last year "Brexit prepping". Another month or so and I should be as Brexit-proof as I can manage.
    If they don't get their act together soon on customs union transition I may start stockpiling food the way things are looking...
  • Options

Yes, it was a terrible night for the iceberg, smashed into a million pieces by The RMS Titanic.
    You are so negative - pleased I am more positive
  • Options
    philiph said:

Over the next twenty or thirty years there is a strong possibility that the EU and UK will be ploughing different furrows and traveling different directions.

In social policy, economic policy, and in international relations it is possible to imagine a significant divergence between EU and UK policies, actions and ideologies.

In terms of the development, wealth, social well being and stability of the UK and EU over the next twenty or thirty years I wonder which will adopt the better route to prosper most, suffer least and enjoy the better internal harmony.

Ask Sunil to post his trademark posting, and the answer is staring back at you.
  • Options

Right now we are about as rich, per person, as France. With the right economic reforms we could be perhaps as rich as Germany. After Brexit, our long-term living standards are likely to trend towards Italy’s. Italy is a fine country, but it’s not what I want Britain to be – especially without the weather.

Supposition, assumption, prediction, expectation and extrapolation of possible future events seen through the bias of the writer leads us to be 'likely to' with regard to Italy and 'could be' with regard to Germany in different circumstances.

In short another presentation of fiction that adds sweet nothing to the sum total of our wisdom or knowledge.

Both sides do it. It is pointless and meaningless to have competing fictions to discard.
  • Options

I'm not sure it sustained that much damage.
  • Options
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

As a homeowner with a inflation protected income I imagine you have a lot more to be positive about than someone working, seeing real term reductions in their income and paying off a mortgage.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mr. Flashman (deceased), Leeds fans have long been renowned for their subtle and intellectual prognostications. [As an aside, most of the replies are actually praising the Leeds fans].

Dr. Foxinsox, Corbyn's a dangerous anti-British idiot. I hope we don't live to see the smoking ruin he would inflict upon this country.

Looking at the strangle hold momentum and the hard left are acquiring the next election, with Corbyn leading, will be very different and will come under a lot more scrutiny. This Country will not elect a marxist anti UK party.
    Corbyn is not anti English, or anti UK, but rather represents a different strand of Englishness. He comes from a long tradition of English radicalism, with roots in the Levellers, the Tolpuddle Martyrs, the Peterloo massacre, the Chartists, the Labour party, the ILP, CND, the Bennites and many others.

Corbyn sided with the IRA, entertains terrorist groups and models his economics on Venezeula, that well known thriving democracy in South America. He will not be PM
    I think that he is highly likely to be PM. Those scares did not work in June, and will not again.

There is a hell of a storm building, and hurricaine Jezza will obliterate the Tories.

So they accept he will be PM...

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

If they don't get their act together soon on customs union transition I may start stockpiling food the way things are looking...
    :)

Perhaps Friday will bring the resolution we all need!
  • Options
    "Here is a small list of the stuff in ports we need to have sorted in March 2019 if we are to walk away from a negotiation:

We would need to buy actual space in ports for immigration officers, customs facilities and sanitary checks to make sure imported food meets whatever standards we set. Dover should be humming - soon, at least - with bulldozers and cement mixers as we prepare for a new world with an independent customs policy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41271028
  • Options

Its remarkable how prescient everyone is. Firstly there was no way Corbyn could become PM, Tory landslide guaranteed. Now there is no way Tories can win next election, PM Corbyn guaranteed.

Its silly, there's no guarantees until the votes are cast. If the last few years should have taught us anything is that we won't know who forms the next government until 10pm on the next election day - and even then the exit poll could be wrong.
  • Options

At one time I ran a small-ish business. We ran into difficulties and everything which could possibly go wrong did.

Makes me suspicious about optimism!
  • Options

Its remarkable how prescient everyone is. Firstly there was no way Corbyn could become PM, Tory landslide guaranteed. Now there is no way Tories can win next election, PM Corbyn guaranteed.

Its silly, there's no guarantees until the votes are cast. If the last few years should have taught us anything is that we won't know who forms the next government until 10pm on the next election day - and even then the exit poll could be wrong.
    :+1:

Too much can change in next four years for anyone to have any idea.
  • Options
    Boris intervened to make sure May didn't cave to the EU and give them everything they want with nothing in return.

Good lad.
  • Options

:)

Perhaps Friday will bring the resolution we all need!
    Yeh right. More like Waiting for Godot.
  • Options

Dan Hannan's article on the same site sums up brilliantly why so many previously-Remain backers like myself switched last year to push Leave over the line.

In 2015, David Cameron announced that he was looking for a new deal with the EU, and that there would be a renegotiation followed by a membership referendum. Had the renegotiation resulted in any significant repatriation of power, he would have won the referendum. All he needed was to come back with some competence returned, and to say, “Look, I have set the precedent. Powers can pass downwards as well as upwards. We won’t be drawn into a United States of Europe.”

In the event, though, he came away with empty hands. Perhaps he asked for the wrong things, or perhaps the other leaders never took the threat of a “Leave” vote seriously. Whatever the explanation, the effect on British public opinion was immediate. “If that is how Brussels treats its second largest financial contributor before we vote,” people said, “how will it treat us if we vote to stay?”

https://www.cato-unbound.org/2017/09/11/daniel-hannan/brexit-explained
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

As a homeowner with a inflation protected income I imagine you have a lot more to be positive about than someone working, seeing real term reductions in their income and paying off a mortgage.
    I do have concern for working people but the idea we did not struggle when we worked with day to day spending is absurd. We had much higher interest rates and a weekly battle with budgets but we learnt to live within our means, and if we could not afford it we did not buy it.

Mind you, you have seen nothing yet if Corbyn gets near power.
  • Options

Dan Hannan's article on the same site sums up brilliantly why so many previously-Remain backers like myself switched last year to push Leave over the line.
    With the passage of time does that reason not seem superficial and self-defeating?
  • Options

In 2015, David Cameron announced that he was looking for a new deal with the EU, and that there would be a renegotiation followed by a membership referendum. Had the renegotiation resulted in any significant repatriation of power, he would have won the referendum. All he needed was to come back with some competence returned, and to say, “Look, I have set the precedent. Powers can pass downwards as well as upwards. We won’t be drawn into a United States of Europe.”

In the event, though, he came away with empty hands. Perhaps he asked for the wrong things, or perhaps the other leaders never took the threat of a “Leave” vote seriously. Whatever the explanation, the effect on British public opinion was immediate. “If that is how Brussels treats its second largest financial contributor before we vote,” people said, “how will it treat us if we vote to stay?”

Someone yesterday was posting that ‘he’d got a good deal for the City.

Oh, er.......
  • Options

With the passage of time does that reason not seem superficial and self-defeating?

No
  • Options
    philiph said:

I think the main factor is going to be the difference in numbers in importing unskilled people from the third world with a violent medieval ideology.

We seem to be neck and neck at the moment.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Get real! Your use of 'the UK' implies you are taking Northern Ireland with you on this adventure to the sunlit uplands. How in hell do you think this significant divergence is compatible with the Good Friday Agreement, or in maintaining the cohesion of the rest of the country?
  • Options

Boris intervened to make sure May didn't cave to the EU and give them everything they want with nothing in return.

Good lad.

So Boris won and TMay lost?
    The newspapers don't seem to be following that line.
  • Options

Oh, er.......
    People are just looking for an excuse to absolve themselves of responsibility for their own decisions so they cast the blame onto Cameron or Juncker or Merkel and say they were left with no choice.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

I agree with you. I think there will be a deal.

It's an exercise in damage limitation however. It's hard to do that optimistically when half the country pretend there's no damage to limit and if there is, it's the fault of the other party, and the other half of the country don't see why we should be limiting damage in the first place, even though we voted for it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Scott_P said:

@jessphillips: I'm watching The Thick of It again and Boris is Ben Swain.

Morning all,

Who does she think is Dan Miller?
    "Brushed Aluminium Cyber Prick" so can only be Milliband, D.
  • Options

Good lad.

Well if his aim was to ensure we didn't roll over to the EU then yes he did win.

If it was to get some decent headlines in the newspaper gossip columns then probably not, but who cares what they think?
  • Options

philiph said:

I think the main factor is going to be the difference in numbers in importing unskilled people from the third world with a violent medieval ideology.

I wasn’t aware that either Iraq or Syria were in the EU. Remaining or Leaving won’t make any difference to the 'importing (of) unskilled people from the third world with a violent medieval ideology.’
  • Options
    FF43 said:

It's an exercise in damage limitation however. It's hard to do that optimistically when half the country pretend there's no damage to limit and if there is, it's the fault of the other party, and the other half of the country don't see why we should be limiting damage in the first place, even though we voted for it.

Another reason why achieving long term consensus behind any kind of Brexit is impossible is that many of the most committed 'Remoaners' are on the right. The bad blood goes deep and the people who brought us to this place will not be forgiven.
  • Options
    There's what other people think of Boris Johnson, and then there's what Boris thinks of Boris. He may think he's going to win the Conservatives the UKIP vote that many thought they already had in the bag, which was the reason Theresa May, backed by advisers and at least most of her cabinet, called the election. He may also think he can wield the threat of doing a Heseltine. Could the £350 million be framed to parallel Westlands? Of course not, but he may think it could. He's deluded and the general impression of him is of an incompetent clown.

May's pick of such a fellow for a senior office of state was the worst such appointment I can remember. He had zero experience of national government, none even of shadowing the government in opposition, and no experience of foreign policy either. In a time like this!

Meanwhile the odds on the next Conservative leader coming from outside the top five have shortened to evens, based on midprices. But who could it be? Either it will be a stopgap, someone for whom the image boys can maintain an image of competence in some markets (Davis or Rudd, or I suppose, at a pinch, Hammond), or else a young, handsome and dashing Macron figure will emerge (come the moment, come the man) but I can't see who that might be. Mogg may be thinking of next time, not this time. I think he's aiming for a cabinet post, probably one of the business ones, or failing that, education.

The Conservatives are in real trouble, as big as in 1973-74, with no clear way out. They remain hopelessly divided over Europe, is the position. The government is a shambles.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Labour were more coherent and detailed at the GE than the Tories. Which is all the more remarkable considering they had zero notice of May's surprise election.

Detailed I'll grant you - they issued a long list of unaffordable commitments offering free owls to every group they could think of. But 'coherent'??? Come off it.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    That guy ran an investment bank?
  • Options

philiph said:

I wasn’t aware that either Iraq or Syria were in the EU. Remaining or Leaving won’t make any difference to the 'importing (of) unskilled people from the third world with a violent medieval ideology.’
    Correct it won't make much difference.

There's more important matters at stake than the bloody EU and Brexit.
  • Options

If the next Lehmans event is even one order of magnitude bigger than the 2008 one, that's exactly what people in Britain in particular may need to do, given that the Channel won't exactly be the most resilient of Europe's trade routes in those conditions.
  • Options

philiph said:

Get real! Your use of 'the UK' implies you are taking Northern Ireland with you on this adventure to the sunlit uplands. How in hell do you think this significant divergence is compatible with the Good Friday Agreement, or in maintaining the cohesion of the rest of the country?
    I don;t think most hardcore Brexiteers give a shit about NornIron so don't care about practicalities. "The Republic WILL have to leave the EU because we say so. Or they can have the 6 counties back as we have no interest in maintaining the union"

Its the lack of detail that baffles me about the hard Brexit argument. "We'll trade with the WTO from day 1 and be better off" they say. When you point to the economic political and practical barriers they are making no effort to recognise never mind overcome they screech on about patriotism.
  • Options

philiph said:

I don;t think most hardcore Brexiteers give a shit about NornIron so don't care about practicalities. "The Republic WILL have to leave the EU because we say so. Or they can have the 6 counties back as we have no interest in maintaining the union"

Its the lack of detail that baffles me about the hard Brexit argument. "We'll trade with the WTO from day 1 and be better off" they say. When you point to the economic political and practical barriers they are making no effort to recognise never mind overcome they screech on about patriotism.
    Hang on it was the people that sold us into the EU in the first place that said it was just a common market and no need to worry about anything else.

Now we're trying to leave they are telling us that it's almost impossible for millions of reasons other than the thing we agreed to join.

Just as well we're leaving now as it would be even more "impossible" in a decade.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354

JonathanD said:

I do have concern for working people but the idea we did not struggle when we worked with day to day spending is absurd. We had much higher interest rates and a weekly battle with budgets but we learnt to live within our means, and if we could not afford it we did not buy it.

Mind you, you have seen nothing yet if Corbyn gets near power.
    And if Corbyn gets in power, you know who will be responsible? Tory Brexiteers. They wanted a revolution to impose their ideology on the country, but tigers hve a funny habit of bucking you off - and for many people the appalling nature of Corbyn being PM is outweighed by Boris and Theresa's cod nationalism. Forced to choose between to governments pursuing insanity, the one that isn't deliberately unpleasant is preferable.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

philiph said:

There is nothing in the GFA that commits the United Kingdom to remaining part of the EU.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    Boris won the London mayoralty (twice) an achievement neither Milliband has pulled off...
  • Options

Good lad.

Well, I'm certainly lost.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

When I bought my first house, in 1981, it cost £20k, about 4 times my then salary as a new graduate. An identical house a few doors away is now on the market at £630k - more than 20 times an average new graduate salary.

And this has come about largely through government policies - relaxing constraints on lending, removing controls on private sector rents, encouraging short-term, insecure tenancies, and failing to ensure that the supply of housing kept pace with increased population.

Buying a house is far, far more difficult for young people today than it was for my generation. And we wonder why they are angry.
  • Options

Hang on it was the people that sold us into the EU in the first place that said it was just a common market and no need to worry about anything else.

Lies, lies, lies.

It was always clear what we were joining and why, going back to the original debates in the early 60s when Macmillan first applied.
  • Options

"Here is a small list of the stuff in ports we need to have sorted in March 2019 if we are to walk away from a negotiation:

We would need to buy actual space in ports for immigration officers, customs facilities and sanitary checks to make sure imported food meets whatever standards we set. Dover should be humming - soon, at least - with bulldozers and cement mixers as we prepare for a new world with an independent customs policy."

I don't get that. Why would we not simply continue doing nothing in terms of such checks? it's not as though Brexit suddenly causes a massive bout of salmonella in Spanish tomatoes.
  • Options

Most people are not classical liberals, but nor have they ever been. Most people who supported Brexit are, however, on the Right.

However, it is a poor argument in favour of the EU that it prohibits a member State from pursuing left wing economic policies. I disagree with left wing economic policies, but if a country elects a government that wishes to implement them, then that vote should be respected.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

FF43 said:

Another reason why achieving long term consensus behind any kind of Brexit is impossible is that many of the most committed 'Remoaners' are on the right. The bad blood goes deep and the people who brought us to this place will not be forgiven.
    "Remoaner" dooms the project. It alienates those that need to be won over to gain a consensus.
  • Options
    NonreglaNonregla Posts: 35
    edited September 2017

philiph said:

Yes, it's ridiculous. As if WTO is a known fallback that would define clear terms of trade between Britain and rEU if there's no agreement, or "deal" to use transatlantic Trumpy tabloidese.

Brexiteers are sounding for all the world like SNPers. The country has a right to this, that and the other is the message conveyed. Well it doesn't.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

We're still talking about the Titanic. The iceberg is just a footnote in history...
  • Options

Now we're trying to leave they are telling us that it's almost impossible for millions of reasons other than the thing we agreed to join.

Just as well we're leaving now as it would be even more "impossible" in a decade.

Thats nice. Demonstrates my point exactly - answer the various "we can't" and "that's impossible" questions with rhetoric.

We either stay in the single market or we trade via the WTO. The fantasy special deal for the UK - even if there is one - will take years to agree and we have just months. And the physical practicalities of WTO can't be done in months either - HMRC's new computer system going live 6 weeks before we leave can cope with just 60% of transactions and they say they'd need 5 years for a bigger one plus the physical infrastructure. And thats ignoring the elephant in the room which is the intra-Irish border. We can't leave the single market and maintain an open border. But we have to maintain an open border.

So give me some specific answers to the specific problems. Because at the moment brexit has turned into fantasy island bullshit. And thats me speaking as someone who voted to leave. Because the Norway option - join EFTA, stay in the EEA - is the obvious solution.
  • Options

Perhaps you can name a dispute the UK has been in that Corbyn has come out on our side rather than our enemies.

He didn't side with us against the Soviets, on the Falklands or IRA and it wouldn't surprise me if he supports giving Gibraltar to the Spanish.
  • Options

Thats nice. Demonstrates my point exactly - answer the various "we can't" and "that's impossible" questions with rhetoric.

We either stay in the single market or we trade via the WTO. The fantasy special deal for the UK - even if there is one - will take years to agree and we have just months. And the physical practicalities of WTO can't be done in months either - HMRC's new computer system going live 6 weeks before we leave can cope with just 60% of transactions and they say they'd need 5 years for a bigger one plus the physical infrastructure. And thats ignoring the elephant in the room which is the intra-Irish border. We can't leave the single market and maintain an open border. But we have to maintain an open border.

So give me some specific answers to the specific problems. Because at the moment brexit has turned into fantasy island bullshit. And thats me speaking as someone who voted to leave. Because the Norway option - join EFTA, stay in the EEA - is the obvious solution.
    Er...it's not my ridiculous deadline of 2 years to leave that makes this impossible, it's the deadline of your beloved EU.

You know the organisation that idiots like you signed us up for against the wishes of the MAJORITY of the country. Now the people have decided you are bleating about the difficult situation that you helped create.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Labour were more coherent and detailed at the GE than the Tories. Which is all the more remarkable considering they had zero notice of May's surprise election.

Detailed I'll grant you - they issued a long list of unaffordable commitments offering free owls to every group they could think of. But 'coherent'??? Come off it.
    That was not the IFS assessment. CCHQ, we were told, was surprised by the lack of free owls in Labour's manifesto. Is the new spin that Labour lied and bribed its way to within a whisker of Number 10, in the belief that by the time of the next election, the details will have been forgotten? I can see it is tempting for CCHQ to denigrate Labour but surely the bigger risk is they end up fooling themselves.
  • Options

Perhaps you can name a dispute the UK has been in that Corbyn has come out on our side rather than our enemies.

He didn't side with us against the Soviets, on the Falklands or IRA and it wouldn't surprise me if he supports giving Gibraltar to the Spanish.
    You're assuming what you're trying to prove, by the way you use "us". What dispute with the USSR are you referring to? In the most recent conflict that Britain and that country were both directly involved in, they were allies.

Where were you when successive governments, both Conservative and Labour, decided to okay and keep foreign military bases here, including foreign nuclear bases, without asking Parliament?
  • Options

JonathanD said:

When I bought my first house, in 1981, it cost £20k, about 4 times my then salary as a new graduate. An identical house a few doors away is now on the market at £630k - more than 20 times an average new graduate salary.

And this has come about largely through government policies - relaxing constraints on lending, removing controls on private sector rents, encouraging short-term, insecure tenancies, and failing to ensure that the supply of housing kept pace with increased population.

Buying a house is far, far more difficult for young people today than it was for my generation. And we wonder why they are angry.
    That depends on where you live. Outside London and the South East (where in places, prices are indeed ludicrous) housing has become more affordable relative to income, than it was 10 years ago.
  • Options
    Nonregla said:

You're assuming what you're trying to prove, by the way you use "us". What dispute with the USSR are you referring to? In the most recent conflict that Britain and that country were both directly involved in, they were allies.

Where were you when successive governments, both Conservative and Labour, decided to okay and keep foreign military bases here, including foreign nuclear bases, without asking Parliament?
    By "us" I imagine he means the large majority of the population who supported NATO membership, and viewed the Soviet Union with alarm.
  • Options

I don't get that. Why would we not simply continue doing nothing in terms of such checks? it's not as though Brexit suddenly causes a massive bout of salmonella in Spanish tomatoes.
    It's taking back control. We either have the same or similar standards, negotiated by an FTA, as the EU, or we don't. If we don't, the EU are going to have to check any import to see it meets their standards and comes from us rather than another country we've got an agreement with - or at the very least do some kind of random testing. Imports aren't the problem, exports are. They won't allow any loosening of checks as it would put a gaping whole in the entire principle of the single market. Hence why the more sensible Brexiteers aren't claiming we'd get away with it. They're mad in their other delusions, but less mad in that.
  • Options

We either stay in the single market or we trade via the WTO. The fantasy special deal for the UK - even if there is one - will take years to agree and we have just months. And the physical practicalities of WTO can't be done in months either - HMRC's new computer system going live 6 weeks before we leave can cope with just 60% of transactions and they say they'd need 5 years for a bigger one plus the physical infrastructure.

Wow. I didn't know any of that. It looks like the country's short and curlies are up for grabs! Some fortunes could be made, as they were during both Black Wednesday and Iceland.

• Options

Er...it's not my ridiculous deadline of 2 years to leave that makes this impossible, it's the deadline of your beloved EU.
    Did you even read to the point where RochdalePioneers said s/he voted to leave?
  • Options

You know the organisation that idiots like you signed us up for against the wishes of the MAJORITY of the country. Now the people have decided you are bleating about the difficult situation that you helped create.
    Leavers like you have created this catastrophe.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited September 2017
    Everything now hinges on Therea's speech in Florence. She needs to set out her vision as EEA Swiss Model Lite Plus Plus (or whatver it is) - i.e. the very antithesis of the Ultra Hard Brexit Boris has set his store by. Boris must be utterly humiliated and the rest of his Hard Leave cabal ground into the dust. I want to hear screams of 'Treachery' when Theresa makes her speech. I want to see Leavers attack and vilify her in the same way they did to Heath and Cameron. I want to see Farage fume. Only by doing this can Theresa hope to survive.
  • Options
    Nonregla said:

I assume you mean American bases, part of the deal that kept them in NATO and us being steam rollered by the Soviets. Yeah I was here supporting the defense of the country.

Can you think of an example? I'm really happy to be proved wrong over this.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I think the whole Johnson thing in the last week has been the creation of the media and chattering class trying to make news where there was none.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Yeah nothing to do with the people who signed us into an organisation that the British people don't want that is almost impossible to get out of.

It's the leavers that are sorting out your crappy mess, which you now have the cheek to gloat about.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2017

That was not the IFS assessment. CCHQ, we were told, was surprised by the lack of free owls in Labour's manifesto. Is the new spin that Labour lied and bribed its way to within a whisker of Number 10, in the belief that by the time of the next election, the details will have been forgotten? I can see it is tempting for CCHQ to denigrate Labour but surely the bigger risk is they end up fooling themselves.

Labour said they would spend something like an extra £48bn a year just in current spending, plus unspecified countless billions on 'investment', plus further dozens or hundreds of billions of nationalisations, plus Corbyn's off-the-cuff writing off of £100bn of student loans, plus a series of measures guaranteed to reduce economic activity, There were freebies for everyone - pensioners, students, public sector workers - except, oddly enough, the poorest.. And. most fantastically of all, all this was supposed to be delivered without increasing taxes on anyone earning less than £85K.

That combination was the biggest fantasy any major party has put forward in modern times, which is saying quite a lot.
  • Options

MJW said:

Yeah nothing to do with the people who signed us into an organisation that the British people don't want that is almost impossible to get out of.

It's the leavers that are sorting out your crappy mess, which you now have the cheek to gloat about.
    How old are you and what compels you to post tendentious lies on the internet?
  • Options

One thing I never understood was why pb Tories used to bang on about France as if it were some economic hellhole to which Ed Miliband would condemn our green and pleasant land were he elected, when on most measures, France's economy was roughly the same size as Britain's. It is not as if returning British tourists crossed the Channel with limbs hanging off or even tales of shortages in French supermarkets
  • Options

Everything now hinges on Therea's speech in Florence. She needs to set out her vision as EEA Swiss Model Lite Plus Plus (or whatver it is) - i.e. the very antithesis of the Ultra Hard Brexit Boris has set his store by. Boris must be utterly humiliated and the rest of his Hard Leave cabal ground into the dust. I want to hear screams of 'Treachery' when Theresa makes her speech. I want to see Leavers attack and vilify her in the same way they did to Heath and Cameron. I want to see Farage fume. Only by doing this can Theresa hope to survive.

I think the infinite improbability drive would need to be involved for this to happen.
  • Options

MJW said:

How old are you and what compels you to post tendentious lies on the internet?
    What are you on about?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited September 2017

Oh, er.......
    He did. Plus on no ever closer union.

Hannan is a twat. A patronising one at that because his appeal lies in him thinking that no one bar him understands what he is talking about. He is talking bollocks.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Monbiot piles into Merkel, her bullying of the EU and the industrial lobby which controls her

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/19/world-leading-eco-vandal-angela-merkel-german-environmental

"The worst instance was in 2013, when, after five years of negotiations, other European governments had finally agreed a new fuel economy standard for cars: they would produce an average of no more than 95g of CO2 per km by 2020. Merkel moved in to close the whole thing down.

She is alleged to have threatened the then president of the European council, Irish taoiseach Enda Kenny, with the cancellation of Ireland’s bailout funds. She told the Netherlands and Hungary the German car plants in their countries would be closed.

She struck a filthy deal with David Cameron, offering to frustrate European banking regulations if he helped her to block the fuel regulations. Through these brutal strategies, she managed to derail the agreement. The €700,000 donation her party then received from the major shareholders in BMW does not suggest they were unhappy with what she had achieved."
  • Options

I shall be delighted if she does as you suggest but nothing in her previous record suggests that she has either the ability or the courage required to challenge her party on this.
This discussion has been closed.