Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the Corbynite candidate might not win the Scottish Labour

2»

Comments

• Options

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Serious question - Why are Conservatives such horrible people?

Osborne's latest rant that he won't rest until Theresa May is "cut up in pieces in his freezer" is just the latest in a long line of seriously bitter and angry Tories that we've seen over the years (Heath, Hezza, Fatch, etc.)

I mean sure Labour and Lib-Dems have their fall out but can anybody seriously think of a leading Labour and Lib-Dem MP or former MP that would make such a violently malevolent comment about an enemy as Osborne's about May?

Ali Campbell maybe? But not many others...

They Tories are a nasty, nasty bunch aren't they?

Corbyn on Blair???
    Of course not. Corbyn wouldn't even say he wished Blair (or indeed May or even Farage) would have a sleepless night: he thinks it's inappropriate to wish ill on anyone (I've heard him shut up an anti-Trump crowd by saying there's good in everyone), and a distraction from persuading people on the issues.

Lots of Labour MPs would be less restrained about rivals, though Osborne's remark (though presumably supposed to be a joke) does stand out. Danczuk is the closest parallel I can think of, when he was a Labour MP. But most Tories wouldn't go that far either.
    Osborne seems to be one of those people whose life would just seem empty, were it not for the hate and spite he directs to those he believes have wronged him.
    He was treated very shittily by Theresa.
    I think he was much the same to Theresa when they were colleagues
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Osborne's latest rant that he won't rest until Theresa May is "cut up in pieces in his freezer" is just the latest in a long line of seriously bitter and angry Tories that we've seen over the years (Heath, Hezza, Fatch, etc.)

I mean sure Labour and Lib-Dems have their fall out but can anybody seriously think of a leading Labour and Lib-Dem MP or former MP that would make such a violently malevolent comment about an enemy as Osborne's about May?

Corbyn on Blair???
    Of course not. Corbyn wouldn't even say he wished Blair (or indeed May or even Farage) would have a sleepless night: he thinks it's inappropriate to wish ill on anyone (I've heard him shut up an anti-Trump crowd by saying there's good in everyone), and a distraction from persuading people on the issues.

Lots of Labour MPs would be less restrained about rivals, though Osborne's remark (though presumably supposed to be a joke) does stand out. Danczuk is the closest parallel I can think of, when he was a Labour MP. But most Tories wouldn't go that far either.
    Osborne seems to be one of those people whose life would just seem empty, were it not for the hate and spite he directs to those he believes have wronged him.
    Rats in a sack..
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,675
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

In the first week of champions league fixtures English clubs currently have a goal difference of 18-2. Remarkable.

And for Scottish teams that stat is 0-5. :)
    Shhh. We don't want to talk about that.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,305

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn on Blair???

All evidence suggests that if he thought she was incompetent and way out of her depth he was right.

I suspect her lukewarm support for Cameron's campaign followed by her instantaneous conversion to hardcore leaver just twisted the knife.

At least with Osborne you knew where you were. May is all over the place, not waving but drowning.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn on Blair???

Rats in a sack..
    Like labour then
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,675
    £120m for Coutinho? Liverpool are absolutely crazy.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn on Blair???

All evidence suggests that if he thought she was incompetent and way out of her depth he was right.

I suspect her lukewarm support for Cameron's campaign followed by her instantaneous conversion to hardcore leaver just twisted the knife.

At least with Osborne you knew where you were. May is all over the place, not waving but drowning.
    More likely she became PM and he will never be PM
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

The "lifting" of the public sector pay cap looks dreadful politics. I imagine the Government thinks that public support for the Police, prison officers and possibly nurses will be such that everyone will think lifting the cap is a good idea even if it's not clear how the additional wage bill will be met.

The problem is other public sector workers such as firemen and other health workers and some local authority workers will argue that what's good for the Police should be good for them.

The FBU has already rejected a 2% pay deal - the public are likely to be fairly supportive of firefighters so that's one problem but other public workers will now think the Government's weakness will merit pushing for more money so we may well see local authority workers moving toward greater militancy.

The £140 million May pissed down the drain on a completely unnecessary election would cover the extra police wage bill almost 3 times over. Alternatively it would be enough for a £500 bonus for every nurse in the country. the Tories are incompetent over Brexit and incompetent over the nation's finances as well.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn on Blair???

More likely he will go down as the architect of electoral victories, while Theresa will not.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,666
    Chris_A said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

The "lifting" of the public sector pay cap looks dreadful politics. I imagine the Government thinks that public support for the Police, prison officers and possibly nurses will be such that everyone will think lifting the cap is a good idea even if it's not clear how the additional wage bill will be met.

The problem is other public sector workers such as firemen and other health workers and some local authority workers will argue that what's good for the Police should be good for them.

The FBU has already rejected a 2% pay deal - the public are likely to be fairly supportive of firefighters so that's one problem but other public workers will now think the Government's weakness will merit pushing for more money so we may well see local authority workers moving toward greater militancy.

The £140 million May pissed down the drain on a completely unnecessary election would cover the extra police wage bill almost 3 times over. Alternatively it would be enough for a £500 bonus for every nurse in the country. the Tories are incompetent over Brexit and incompetent over the nation's finances as well.
    I suppose it's the prerogative of the opposition to criticise the government for not cutting the deficit at the same time as not increasing everyone's pay.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

£120m for Coutinho? Liverpool are absolutely crazy.

You could buy a DUP MP for 5 years for that money ;)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn on Blair???

More likely he will go down as the architect of electoral victories, while Theresa will not.
    More likely a vindictive spoilt child
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

The Scottish political centre is to the left of the English and Welsh centre. For this reason I wouldn't read too much into the first result.

The majority of members are to the left, unfortunately the executive and a lot of clp members are to the right. Most LP members in Scotland have nothing to do with the organisation. If the members start supporting the Momentum recommended candidates, as they already have to the executive, then in the Scottish vernacular, "the Games a Bogie"
  • Options
    I apologise for the morning thread.

I really wish I didn't have to write such a thread, but I managed to use a subtle musical reference in as the headline and a Shakespeare reference in as well.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    eek said:

Jonathan Ashworth‏Verified account @JonAshworth 18m18 minutes ago
    More
    .@houseofcommons just unanimously approved @UKLabour motion to end NHS pay cap. Victory for campaigners

So exactly where is the money for pay rises going to come from?
    The same money tree where the £1 billion came from to buy DUP votes.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

eek said:

More
    .@houseofcommons just unanimously approved @UKLabour motion to end NHS pay cap. Victory for campaigners

Or more realistically each 1% rise across the board for public sector workers would cost about £1.5 billion. So an inflation matching rise of say 3% this year would cost £4.5 billion a year extra going forward. How much is HS2 supposed to be costing us? £50 billion?

Scrap HS2 and put the money to better use.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039

I really wish I didn't have to write such a thread, but I managed to use a subtle musical reference in as the headline and a Shakespeare reference in as well.

Morning thread trying to distract us from your nasty mate George Osborne proving himself to be a psycho? ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Morning thread trying to distract us from your nasty mate George Osborne proving himself to be a psycho? ;)
    He's just got the best interests of the Tory party and the country at heart.

If Mrs May can't stand the heat, she should get out of the kitchen.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039

GIN1138 said:

How can she get out of the kitchen when Osborne is going to have her cut up into pieces and placed into bags in his freezer... Presumably in his kitchen? :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

She'll certainly be avoiding heat if she ever ends up in George's kitchen it would seem.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

No he hasn't. He just has his own interests and revenge at heart. He cares nothing for either the party or the country.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,026
    edited September 2017
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

How can she get out of the kitchen when Osborne is going to have her cut up into pieces and placed into bags in his freezer... Presumably in his kitchen? :D
    The irony of it is some of Mrs May's team wanted to do worse to George Osborne and David Cameron, the bellends the surround and surrounded Mrs May thought they were so awesome up until 10pm June 8th.

It burns them they couldn't even win a majority when they were so contemptuous of Cameron and George.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

No he hasn't. He just has his own interests and revenge at heart. He cares nothing for either the party or the country.
    He had a legacy which he has trashed by his vindictive outpouring which say more about him as a spoilt child than a successful chancellor ( which is open to debate )
  • Options
    Yes that makes so much sense scrap a big infrastructure project that will increase GDP and provide much needed rail capacity and use it fund a few years extra funding in the wages bill. And what other capital spending projects due want to cancel next, get rid of what left of the roads programme, new schools and hospitals next. Capital investment should stand on it's own, but as Britains own dismal history has shown since the second world war, it's what we always cut first, We have the most congested roads and rail lines in Europe how much could we grow if we were not all stuck in traffic.
  • Options
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,682

GIN1138 said:

He was a very effective attack dog in both 2010 and 2015.

Mr Osborne very effectively placed the burden of the 2008 world financial crisis firmly on the shoulders of Brown, and by implication Labour. I suspect even today there are people convinced Brown collapsed Lehmann Brothers. That was George's genius. Mrs May at PMQs used that very theme today!

It was Mr Osborne, who so thoroughly trashed Milliband to the extent that he became a national laughing stock, rather than potential PM.

I grant you his work unravelled at the referendum, but in the words of Meatloaf, 'two out of three ain't bad'!

Mr Osborne may be an uncompromising bastard but he did your party proud!
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2017

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn on Blair???

Not quite as shittily perhaps as he treated the poorer elderly and disabled of this country needing social care and benefits.

There are people who you have sympathy for - and there are people like George Osborne.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,035
    In Government but not in power springs to mind.

GE2017 was a perfect result
  • Options
    Jezza and Labour grow in stature every day that TM remains PM
  • Options
    Wasn't aware of Kezias love life issues till today.

No wonder she got out quick
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

The irony of it is some of Mrs May's team wanted to do worse to George Osborne and David Cameron, the bellends the surround and surrounded Mrs May thought they were so awesome up until 10pm June 8th.

It burns them they couldn't even win a majority when they were so contemptuous of Cameron and George.
    If Cams n gids hadn't been so contemptible, no referendum or else a Remain win, no Brexit, no PM May, no GE 2017. The many worlds explanation of quantum physics posits that everything possible happens which is bloody irksome, because in the vast majority of time streams Remain must win and it is bad luck on these versions of ourselves to be stuck in this dead end.

I was thinking about that pair in comparison to Blair and Brown. Many similarities, but the key distinction is that Blair and Brown were adults.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,193
    eek said:

More

Cuts in defence spending are always quite easy from a political perspective. As long as it's not something militarily useless but of interest to the Daily Mail like the Red Arrows.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,682
    edited September 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

If Cams n gids hadn't been so contemptible, no referendum or else a Remain win, no Brexit, no PM May, no GE 2017. The many worlds explanation of quantum physics posits that everything possible happens which is bloody irksome, because in the vast majority of time streams Remain must win and it is bad luck on these versions of ourselves to be stuck in this dead end.

I was thinking about that pair in comparison to Blair and Brown. Many similarities, but the key distinction is that Blair and Brown were adults.
    My understanding is that Mr Osborne considered the referendum to be a very bad idea. The referendum was Project Cameron. Mr Osborne's campaign of fear was admittedly not a raging success.
  • Options

Yes that makes so much sense scrap a big infrastructure project that will increase GDP and provide much needed rail capacity and use it fund a few years extra funding in the wages bill. And what other capital spending projects due want to cancel next, get rid of what left of the roads programme, new schools and hospitals next. Capital investment should stand on it's own, but as Britains own dismal history has shown since the second world war, it's what we always cut first, We have the most congested roads and rail lines in Europe how much could we grow if we were not all stuck in traffic.

It will do neither. There are far better ways to do it more effectively at a fraction of the cost. HS2 will come to be viewed in the same way as Boris's garden bridge, a vanity project which delivers nothing and costs us dear.
  • Options

It will do neither. There are far better ways to do it more effectively at a fraction of the cost. HS2 will come to be viewed in the same way as Boris's garden bridge, a vanity project which delivers nothing and costs us dear.
    I'm sorry your wrong. There are no cheap alternatives to increasing capacity on the intercity rail network. We have already doubled passenger numbers on the existing network with relatively little spend. trains are reaching the limit they can be extended with mere platofrm extensions.

We squeak a bit more capacity here and there with more grade spearated junctions etc but all the cheap options are runnig out. All the lines out from London are needing billions in spending for just a few extra trains an hour. We have no reached the stage where ne need to build new lines.

There are hundreds of pages of reports spanning more than a decade. It all the points the same way. We need a new railway!! Upgrading the existing one is no longer possible.

For the amount needed to be spent and the limited of extra if capacity it would get you it is cheaper to build a new line.

You can keep on harumphing about white elephants but it does not change the facts. You keep on blathering about cheaper options but there are none. None that solve the problem are have not already been done or are scheduled to be done. Just accept that you have an irrational hatred of big flashy railway and use any old rbbish to discredit it.

The problem we have is we need to spend far more, on high speed lines, at least two morw corssrails and some tube lines in London, plus regional metro's for our big cities plus more motorways and bypasses.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,216

In Government but not in power springs to mind.

GE2017 was a perfect result

Indeed. JC is, in many ways, in power, but not in government. He is driving the agenda, on pay, tuition fees, housing and our relationship with Europe. Nothing the Tories offer will be enough (cf the pay "rise" for police and prisons). But equally, none of it will be his responsibility.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,451
    edited September 2017

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn on Blair???

He ran the 2010 campaign when the Tories got 306 seats, fewer than the 318 May got in 2017. Crosby ran the 2015 campaign
  • Options

Jezza and Labour grow in stature every day that TM remains PM

The Tories are unchanged from the general election with ICM this week, Labour only tied
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Charles said:

DavidL said:

I thought that Labour had contrived a meaningful vote on university fees which could actually stop the increase of £250 coming into effect. Is that not the case? Was it more gesture politics?

The Commons authorities (to general surprise) ruled that the motion, like the one on thre NHS pay cap, was non-binding, so the Tories are simply boycotting the motions and will ignore them.

It's called taking back democratic control. Or something.
    Aren't OpDay motions always non-binding? I don't think the opposition can propose spending measures can they anyway? Only amend government proposals
    I'm not up on the details, but a form of motion was selected which has up to now been thought to be binding, apparently, and is now ruled not to be binding.

In general it seems undesirable that the Government can ignore the will of Parliament, whatever the form that it's expressed - it's another indication of the weak position of a minority government, but they ought to need to find allies or accept the view of the majority, rather than just shrug it off.
    It is Catch 22.

If the vote were binding then the opposition would not win it.

It is only because it is non binding that they can win.
    The other part of the Opposition victory is that the Tory manifesto has been junked, and a fair chunk of Corbyn's manifesto taking place, such as the ditching of the public sector pay ceiling.

The more the Tories reverse their negatives from the last general election, the dementia tax, public sector pay etc the better for them. The problem last time was Corbyn neutralised Brexit by backing ending free movement and leaving the single market and was able to attack unpopular Tory policies like the above, next time the Tories want it to be the reverse and to go on the attack on things like Corbyn's plans to reverse the IHT cut
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

I thought that Labour had contrived a meaningful vote on university fees which could actually stop the increase of £250 coming into effect. Is that not the case? Was it more gesture politics?

The Commons authorities (to general surprise) ruled that the motion, like the one on thre NHS pay cap, was non-binding, so the Tories are simply boycotting the motions and will ignore them.

Aren't OpDay motions always non-binding? I don't think the opposition can propose spending measures can they anyway? Only amend government proposals
    I'm not up on the details, but a form of motion was selected which has up to now been thought to be binding, apparently, and is now ruled not to be binding.

In general it seems undesirable that the Government can ignore the will of Parliament, whatever the form that it's expressed - it's another indication of the weak position of a minority government, but they ought to need to find allies or accept the view of the majority, rather than just shrug it off.
    It is Catch 22.

The other part of the Opposition victory is that the Tory manifesto has been junked, and a fair chunk of Corbyn's manifesto taking place, such as the ditching of the public sector pay ceiling.

The more the Tories reverse their negatives from the last general election, the dementia tax, public sector pay etc the better for them. The problem last time was Corbyn neutralised Brexit by backing ending free movement and leaving the single market and was able to attack unpopular Tory policies like the above, next time the Tories want it to be the reverse
    It is all to play for. Corbyn keeps buggering on though. The more of his agenda the Tories adopt, the less the painting of him as a nutter works.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

It is Catch 22.

The more the Tories reverse their negatives from the last general election, the dementia tax, public sector pay etc the better for them. The problem last time was Corbyn neutralised Brexit by backing ending free movement and leaving the single market and was able to attack unpopular Tory policies like the above, next time the Tories want it to be the reverse
    It is all to play for. Corbyn keeps buggering on though. The more of his agenda the Tories adopt, the less the painting of him as a nutter works.
    They don't need to paint him as a nutter so much as neutralise his strengths and focus on his weaknesses, preferably under a more charismatic leader like Boris
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

It is Catch 22.

They don't need to paint him as a nutter so much as neutralise his strengths and focus on his weaknesses, preferably under a more charismatic leader like Boris
    Possibly true. Although the appeal of Boris north of Watford remains unproven. I bid you goodnight with that.
  • Options
    That was one policy that I'd support. Has any of her policies been kept ?
  • Options
    She will announce that UK "will not pay a penny".
  • Options

surbiton said:

eek said:

More

Or more realistically each 1% rise across the board for public sector workers would cost about £1.5 billion. So an inflation matching rise of say 3% this year would cost £4.5 billion a year extra going forward. How much is HS2 supposed to be costing us? £50 billion?

Scrap HS2 and put the money to better use.
    Inflation also brings in more VAT. Higher wages bring in more income taxes.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

She will announce that UK "will not pay a penny".
    Well, there's always hope.

A better option would be to offer to refer the Brexit Bill to independent arbitration at the ICJ in return for a trade deal. Suspect the EU would reject it, but it would at least bring us to the end of the line quickly and we can all get on with life.

My concern is that it will just be a load of waffle with no real proposals, just some conciliatory soundbites.
  • Options

No, you are wrong Richard. Your comparison with the Garden Bridge is particularly ridiculous = the Garden Bridge had no firm purpose aside from "gee, wouldn't it be great if...", and was pushed through by a handful of influential idiots.

The HS2 project is designed to fix an issue that is present, and is expected to get worse, and is backed by both Labour and the Conservatives. In the six or seven years since we first talked about this on here, passenger numbers have continued to grow, despite t'Internet and remote working. Unlike the Garden Bridge, HS2 is pushed by need.

In fact, HS2 is a government doing what governments should do - detecting a future problem and acting now, rather than kicking the issue into the long grass. I would have thought you would have approved.

"There are far better ways to do it more effectively at a fraction of the cost. "

No, there are not. In fact, that argument has become even more false since Network Rail's failures on recent major enhancement programs.
This discussion has been closed.