Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next out of the cabinet betting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,722
edited September 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next out of the cabinet betting

Earlier on this week The Times reported that

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Two Spartan "if" threads in succession.

*keeps powder dry*
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,088
    Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

This is not so much if, as when, surely ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

I started guest editing PB for five and half years ago, this stint and the last stint have been the hardest to come up with thread ideas.

There's a dearth of quality political betting markets, the major ones are Trump and May exit related threads, it really does limit the thread ideas.
  • Options
    South Korea and the US have been staunch allies for six decades.
    Trump now has them talking to Moscow...
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/Trump-Moon-in-miscommunication-over-weapons-purchases
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,531

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

I started guest editing PB for five and half years ago, this stint and the last stint have been the hardest to come up with thread ideas.

There's a dearth of quality political betting markets, the major ones are Trump and May exit related threads, it really does limit the thread ideas.
    Size of crowd this Saturday?
  • Options
    On topic, this market is gambling in its truest sense.

I'm not playing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

Size of crowd this Saturday?
    Alas I would have been there but Rick Astley is playing at The Manchester Arena this Saturday.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

Sorry not meant as a criticism, there's nothing happening when there's nothing happening. Kenya presidency could be interesting, but no market that I know of.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

A dearth of quality markets? When we have this one:

https://tinyurl.com/ycq4vvzl
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    FPT I think it's fair to say that Prince Charles is not popular in this parish.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

Sorry not meant as a criticism, there's nothing happening when there's nothing happening. Kenya presidency could be interesting, but no market that I know of.
    I know, I didn't take your words as criticism.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

Is the field down to 3?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

What is the definition for "permanent"?

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

I've not been able to take that market seriously since Alastair's review of the runners and riders.

Though my money's on Anne-Marie Waters and David Kurten.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

He's popular with me, then again I have republican tendencies, as my profile pic indicates.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

He'll be a fucking disaster.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Some mothers do 'ave 'em.
  • Options
    Again this looks like Mrs May is planning another snap election, probably in 2018.

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/905418893816193026
  • Options

Again this looks like Mrs May is planning another snap election, probably in 2018.

htts://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/905418893816193026

I've never regarded that thing Einstein didn't say, about doing the same thing and expecting a different result, all that highly, but sometimes it fits.
  • Options
    Shadsy has some interesting markets on the German election:

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/international/international/2017-german-federal-election/224912589/

We ought to take a closer look at these.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

He's popular with me, then again I have republican tendencies, as my profile pic indicates.
    He seems to be equally disliked by people on the right and left of the political spectrum.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

Is there a market for how many UKIP leadership elections between now and the end of 2018....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

He seems to be equally disliked by people on the right and left of the political spectrum.
    I'll never forget Bernie Grant given a staunch defence of the monarchy back in 1998.

I wonder what he would have made of Charles becoming King today.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,531
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Which means he's doing something right.
  • Options

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/international/international/2017-german-federal-election/224912589/

Would you fancy doing a thread on it, I don't feel confident on doing a thread on it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,255
    edited September 2017
    German industry preparing for a hard Brexit:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-germany-industry/german-industry-group-preparing-for-hard-brexit-idUSKCN1BH1L2

“Many people in Britain have hoped that they would get a special deal from Germany. We’ve been saying for a year that this is not going to happen,” said Markus Becker-Melching of the Association of German Banks, which is involved in the task force.

“We are working on the basis that there will be a hard Brexit,” he said. “The wheels are now set in motion to prepare for this.”
  • Options

Would you fancy doing a thread on it, I don't feel confident on doing a thread on it.
    I don't know too much about it - maybe Nick P or DoubleCarpet could be persuaded to write something?
  • Options

I don't know too much about it - maybe Nick P or DoubleCarpet could be persuaded to write something?
    I'll drop them an email later on today.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Which means he's doing something right.
    Sadly, it just means he's unpopular.
  • Options
    Charles said:
    As I noted yesterday, Oxford is stagnating, whilst Cambridge is soaring in the rankings.
  • Options

Charles said:
    As I noted yesterday, Oxford is stagnating, whilst Cambridge is soaring in the rankings.
    A bit like the SNP and Ruth Davidson?
  • Options

Charles said:

Oxford remains on top, whilst Cambridge is up and down like ....

• Options

Charles said:
    A bit like the SNP and Ruth Davidson?
    I like that analogy.
  • Options

Charles said:

Just compare their respective Nobel Laureates.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited September 2017
    Sean_F said:

I am not a monarchist, but if we have to have one, Charlie is fine !

I find it amusing that many monarchists want to jump straight to William.

So they like the monarchy but not the rules.
  • Options

Charles said:

Or compare their respective British PMs.

• Options

Charles said:

Or compare their respective British PMs.

The last three have been disasters according to many.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Life is hectic but I could have a go. If DC has time, I'm very happy to leave it to him!
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Bit short, given how fraught things are.
  • Options

Life is hectic but I could have a go. If DC has time, I'm very happy to leave it to him!
    I think DC is very busy too.
  • Options

Charles said:

Ah but Cambridge Colleges have only won University Challenge 10 times in its history whilst Oxford Colleges have notched up 16 series wins.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Slightly off topic but I suspect this is going to be true..

https://twitter.com/BoredElonMusk/status/905432672926711810
  • Options

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/905418893816193026

If that's not adding insult to injury, then it at the very least suggest she ought to be subject to a similar process....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited September 2017
    eek said:

Whilst I get the logic, past experience has shown that all these amazing advances in technology have not brought about the job losses we expected. Computerisation is the most obvious example. I think all we can do is wait and see what happens but I am not sure the changes will be as radical as some people seem to think.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,509

I'm embarrassed to admit I have a 1/25 bet on CDU getting most seats. Its a winner but I am really not sure why I bothered. I'll try not to spend the whole £2.50 profit at once.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I'll never forget Bernie Grant given a staunch defence of the monarchy back in 1998.

I wonder what he would have made of Charles becoming King today.
    Charles became King today? Wow. Operation London Bridge here we come.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    DavidL said:
    I think I'd rather have the field at Even money than one of those three still.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'm embarrassed to admit I have a 1/25 bet on CDU getting most seats. Its a winner but I am really not sure why I bothered. I'll try not to spend the whole £2.50 profit at once.
    I got on that early at 4/5 or something similar. Early birds catching worms etc etc.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:
    I think I'd rather have the field at Even money than one of those three still.
    You're probably right but a strong and stable government it isn't.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Actually I do have time to draft something on the German election - a one-hour gap between a Brussels meeting and my train home. I was looking to see the Betfair markets, bt apparently Betfair is illegal in Belgium (I get a big warning that the site I have attempted to access is contrary to Belgian law), so I'll need to add anything on those later!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

What about a Kim Jong Un exit market?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I got on that early at 4/5 or something similar. Early birds catching worms etc etc.
    The 6/1 for CDUCSU +FDP+ Green looks quite tempting. I think that is more likely than that.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.
  • Options

eek said:

Whilst I get the logic, past experience has shown that all these amazing advances in technology have not brought about the job losses we expected. Computerisation is the most obvious example. I think all we can do is wait and see what happens but I am not sure the changes will be as radical as some people seem to think.
    I agree but I think the changes are going to surprise people - law for instance is one where I expect things to change far more than lawyers expect...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Yes, Sky is pretty amateur

Most of the FTSE bosses I know are pretty phlegmatic folk (at least to me). I find it highly implausible that they would be "furious" at being asked to sign a silly letter
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

I agree but I think the changes are going to surprise people - law for instance is one where I expect things to change far more than lawyers expect...
    Apparently trade negotiators will be affected too. Where once Liam Fox could have hoped for a junket on the Royal yacht, in future we can just use a word processor with a copy-paste function.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

Publicity Shy Paddy Power have a Kim Jong-un exit market, as well as few other North Korean bets.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/donald-trump?ev_oc_grp_ids=4815769
  • Options

Charles said:

Ah but Cambridge Colleges have only won University Challenge 10 times in its history whilst Oxford Colleges have notched up 16 series wins.
    Say what you like about Oxford, it is definitely the very best university in the world situated in a city also called Oxford. #Harvard.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Ruth Davidson flexing her muscles again ... https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/905439843794264074
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.
    METHOD THAT KIM JONG-UN IS REMOVED FROM HIS ROLE AS SUPREME COMMANDER

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

Via Publicity Shy Paddy Power.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-germany-industry/german-industry-group-preparing-for-hard-brexit-idUSKCN1BH1L2

“Many people in Britain have hoped that they would get a special deal from Germany. We’ve been saying for a year that this is not going to happen,” said Markus Becker-Melching of the Association of German Banks, which is involved in the task force.

“We are working on the basis that there will be a hard Brexit,” he said. “The wheels are now set in motion to prepare for this.”

So the people who used to be our partners are now to be our competitors and are getting ready for the new situation. Any leavers want to explain why this is a good thing?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I heard recently that Steam (online gaming service) had a look at a map of all its customers globally. There's one dot in North Korea, in Pyongyang, apparently. This has led some people to believe Kim Jong-un genuinely has a Steam account.

Next time you're playing PUBG, you might just be up against the leader of North Korea. Assuming he's into Battlegrounds.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited September 2017
    @SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: FTSE-100 companies are being asked by Downing St to sign a letter supporting the Government's Brexit strategy

I think Brexiteers should boycott any firm that doesn't sign.

It'll give them a taste for what life under WTO rules will look like...
  • Options
    Mr. Recidivist, that's extremely simplistic. In the EU, Germany and France and so on weren't our special friends. Out of the EU, they don't become our enemies.

For decades we've been both allies and competitors. That's a natural and normal state of affairs. I'm sure there'll be a bit more emphasis on the competitive element because we've turned our backs on Catholicism the EU and their beloved, if daft, ideology, but that'll calm down.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

The way law is done has changed out of all recognition over the last 30 years. One of my first jobs, whilst still a student, was inputting the cash room data on to the firm's first computer. Urgent communications were sent by fax and no one was sure if that was legally binding or not. The staff, and there were so many compared with the modern office, had electronic typewriters with no memory so every mistake had to be changed by hand. Finding out what the current state of a complex statutory instrument could take the best part of a day and the Opinion of counsel was often sought because they were aware of unreported decisions in the last couple of years that had not been published yet.

Now secretaries are an endangered (and seriously undervalued) species. Databases mean the skill is narrowing down the relevant law to something manageable and the speed of correspondence is frequently exasperating. Much of the work, particularly in things like conveyancing, personal injury and debt collection has been deskilled. The job of a lawyer is more often that of managing unqualified staff than doing it themselves (advocates and barristers are thankfully an exception). Intelligent systems have yet to make much of a mark but no doubt they will. Change will continue but I don't see a quantum leap even vaguely comparable to the internet at the moment.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.
    with a chance of meatballs?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The way law is done has changed out of all recognition over the last 30 years. One of my first jobs, whilst still a student, was inputting the cash room data on to the firm's first computer. Urgent communications were sent by fax and no one was sure if that was legally binding or not. The staff, and there were so many compared with the modern office, had electronic typewriters with no memory so every mistake had to be changed by hand. Finding out what the current state of a complex statutory instrument could take the best part of a day and the Opinion of counsel was often sought because they were aware of unreported decisions in the last couple of years that had not been published yet.

Now secretaries are an endangered (and seriously undervalued) species. Databases mean the skill is narrowing down the relevant law to something manageable and the speed of correspondence is frequently exasperating. Much of the work, particularly in things like conveyancing, personal injury and debt collection has been deskilled. The job of a lawyer is more often that of managing unqualified staff than doing it themselves (advocates and barristers are thankfully an exception). Intelligent systems have yet to make much of a mark but no doubt they will. Change will continue but I don't see a quantum leap even vaguely comparable to the internet at the moment.

Unfortunately the size of the bills doesn't seem to have shrunk to reflect all this increased efficiency!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

Possibilities 2 and 3 will almost certainly include 1. Don't go signing him any life insurance.
  • Options

So the people who used to be our partners are now to be our competitors and are getting ready for the new situation. Any leavers want to explain why this is a good thing?
    I am not a Leaver, but I can explain why it is not the case: you are confusing countries with companies, and the political with the commercial.
  • Options

I think DC is very busy too.
    Surprising, he isn't PM anymore. ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

Possibilities 2 and 3 will almost certainly include 1. Don't go signing him any life insurance.
    Dead heat rules sound appropriate.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.
    with a chance of meatballs?
    Quite possibly. That was an inspired film, one of those children's films that adults can enjoy (well, me anyway).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

It is also unclear what would constitute convincing evidence that any of 1-3 had happened. If indeed one or more hasn't already happened and the country is being run by a military junta with a stable full of KJU ringers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I am not a Leaver, but I can explain why it is not the case: you are confusing countries with companies, and the political with the commercial.
    Nevertheless if you strip out the confusion, it does expose a misconception at the heart of Brexit. Brexiteers assumed (at least if we take their rhetoric at face value) that business would be on 'our side' against the unnecessary intrusion of politics into the process in the form of meddling bureaucrats in Brussels, and that this message would be delivered in no uncertain terms to Angela Merkel who would see us right.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Unfortunately the size of the bills doesn't seem to have shrunk to reflect all this increased efficiency!
    Maybe you use the wrong lawyers. The fee for buying or selling a house in Dundee is about the same as you paid in 1983. My old firm went into administration on Friday after 250 years. Times, they are a changing.
  • Options
    If storms this year reach "W" then the designated storm name is "Whitney". I suspect the namers might live to regret that one if it hits a certain city for a second time bordering the gulf of Mexico...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Maybe you use the wrong lawyers. The fee for buying or selling a house in Dundee is about the same as you paid in 1983. My old firm went into administration on Friday after 250 years. Times, they are a changing.
    Offers are binding in Scotland, ne ? I think I'd prefer that system over English law seeing as I'm buying and selling right now...
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

Indeed but as Tyrion commented of Joffrey: "We've had vicious kings and we've had idiot kings, but I don't know if we've ever been cursed with a vicious idiot for a king!"

Its hard to feel much sympathy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You were a Pagan Osbornite?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Offers are binding in Scotland, ne ? I think I'd prefer that system over English law seeing as I'm buying and selling right now...
    No I am afraid that is something else that's changed. It used to be that way but now missives are all too often finally concluded on the date of entry.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If storms this year reach "W" then the designated storm name is "Whitney". I suspect the namers might live to regret that one if it hits a certain city for a second time bordering the gulf of Mexico...

Seems a hell of a lot of damage for the sake of a bad pun.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

Indeed but as Tyrion commented of Joffrey: "We've had vicious kings and we've had idiot kings, but I don't know if we've ever been cursed with a vicious idiot for a king!"

Are we still talking about Prince Charles?
  • Options

The country isn't going to be flooded with African and Middle Eastern economic migrants?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

Nah, he's only one of those.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I suppose we shall soon find out how trade with Germany will go - Nissan announcing it intends to source in the UK, Aston Martin sourcing stuff from Japan, new missile development and fighter plane development UK in discussion with Japan too...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A surprising number of firms have gone out of business in recent years.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You were a Pagan Osbornite?
    I was a partner there for about 12 years.
  • Options
    PAW said:
    20k deaths a day sounds optimistic to be frank when we're talking about the potential of Seoul being leveled let alone the grim risk of Tokyo being nuked etc
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ever since lawyers were allowed limited liability...what a weird coincidence.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

*keeps powder dry*

It's a bit cloudy.

He Dies 1/10

Overthrown in a coup 5/1

He Resigns 8/1

lol
  • Options
    I'm re-reading Tacitus' Complete Works, and vicious idiots do make me think of Nero.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,691
    edited September 2017
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ever since lawyers were allowed limited liability...what a weird coincidence.
    I blame the alternative business structure.

When I was deciding to shortlist what courses I might study at university, someone told me, you know what firms don't go bust? Bookmakers and Lawyers, that's what you should study. Alas I was unable to find any bookmaking degrees.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

To be fair it is true that basic conveyancing costs have come down a lot. But anything to do with litigation or preparing commercial contracts doesn't seem to have got any cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.