Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » History suggests the Tories will see their share of the vot

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » History suggests the Tories will see their share of the vote decline in 2015

In recent weeks there’s been a positivity about the Tories’ chances of winning outright in 2015, Michael Gove was reported to be convinced of that, and over at Betfair, the implied probability of a Tory majority has been increasing in recent weeks (though there has been an easing back from the recent high point)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited August 2013
    First. I see you all trailing behind in my rear view mirror.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Tories need to gain 20 seats and hold the rest. Their performance in Eastleigh suggests gains will be very hard. Their performance in Corby suggests holding marginals will be harder.

It should not be hard for those backing a Tory majority to name the 20 seats the Tories are going to gain.

• Options
    If only UKIP did not exist Cam would be laughing....
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I think that's a very fair analysis, but with the very small sample it is possible for an unusual situation to change things.

A few patterns that I find interesting from the table.

In 1979, the Opposition vote increased by much more than the Government vote decreased - so the anti-Government vote coalesced around the Opposition.

In 2010 (and to a lesser extent 1997) the change of Government occurred principally due to a fall in the Government vote, and the anti-Government vote is fractured.

The challenge for the Conservatives is to somehow marshal an anti-Labour vote, but if anything it is the anti-Conservative vote that is becoming more concentrated.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Everything is bad news for the Tories.

I'm seriously thinking of paying £25 and joining them after the diet of threads about how they're doomed on here.

And I've never joined a party ever - I once gave £10 to the Libertarian Party 5yrs ago.
  • Options
    I'd place EdM below Foot in the Labour leader rankings. Labour are in for a very nasty shock come 2015 if they persist with Miliband.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,337
    The obvious difference in 2015 is that we have a Coalition government. It is quite possible that the government vote will fall (indeed this is almost certain) but that the tory vote rises. So if the Lib Dems fall by 7% and the tories gain 3% the overall fall will be 4%.

More to the point is that in my adult life we have had 2 changes of government (I was just too young to vote in 1979). 2 changes in 36 years. Are we really due another one already?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    From Guido and what looks like news making Comedy Res.

"Eccentric Conservative councillors are a vital source of silly season copy for any hack, evidently something not lost on BBC Sunday Politics team this week. Worth noting that they are spending licence fee payers’ cash on a ComRes poll of Tory councillors which even the staunchest Beeb defender would concede are designed to embarrass the party. The questions include:

- asking if they think “climate change is not happening”
    - whether “Immigration has had a negative impact on Britain”
    - whether “legalising gay marriage will cost my party more votes than it gains at the next Election”
    - whether they support a ban on the burkha
    - whether Cameron and Osborne are “arrogant”
    - whether they support an electoral pact with UKIP

Of course those taking part in the poll have every opportunity to answer otherwise, nonetheless it is certainly an interesting choice of question topics from the BBC. No doubt they will also be asking Labour councillors specifically-designed awkward questions in the name of impartiality… http://order-order.com/2013/08/22/beeb-tries-to-trip-up-tory-councillors/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The obvious difference in 2015 is that we have a Coalition government. It is quite possible that the government vote will fall (indeed this is almost certain) but that the tory vote rises. So if the Lib Dems fall by 7% and the tories gain 3% the overall fall will be 4%.

More to the point is that in my adult life we have had 2 changes of government (I was just too young to vote in 1979). 2 changes in 36 years. Are we really due another one already?

David I'm not saying that there definitely will be a change of government, just that history shows that the Tories will struggle to get an outright majority.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Plato said:

From Guido and what looks like news making Comedy Res.

"Eccentric Conservative councillors are a vital source of silly season copy for any hack, evidently something not lost on BBC Sunday Politics team this week. Worth noting that they are spending licence fee payers’ cash on a ComRes poll of Tory councillors which even the staunchest Beeb defender would concede are designed to embarrass the party. The questions include:

- asking if they think “climate change is not happening”
    - whether “Immigration has had a negative impact on Britain”
    - whether “legalising gay marriage will cost my party more votes than it gains at the next Election”
    - whether they support a ban on the burkha
    - whether Cameron and Osborne are “arrogant”
    - whether they support an electoral pact with UKIP

Of course those taking part in the poll have every opportunity to answer otherwise, nonetheless it is certainly an interesting choice of question topics from the BBC. No doubt they will also be asking Labour councillors specifically-designed awkward questions in the name of impartiality… http://order-order.com/2013/08/22/beeb-tries-to-trip-up-tory-councillors/

That is just fishing...
  • Options

DavidL said:

David I'm not saying that there definitely will be a change of government, just that history shows that the Tories will struggle to get an outright majority.

It is almost impossible to disagree with that. They just might get a little nearer though. I thought OGH's recommendation of a minority administration without a coalition was very interesting. The problem would be whether they could be prevented from introducing the boundary changes once again.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

DavidL said:

The question is will people see this govt as an anomaly in an otherwise untrammeled labour governing era or do we now (as per @DavidL's comment) see governments as things that take some time, say 7-10yrs at the minimum, to establish themselves so that they can do their thing.

I tend to think the latter although I agree it's complicated by the presence of a coalition.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Next election could be a weird one.

Miss Plato, I quite agree. Maybe we'll see one asking Lib Dems or Labour members if stopping climate change justifies increasing energy bills by £300 per annum, whether fuel duty should increase to promote the use of public transport, whether we should harmonise taxes with the EU, whether Trident should be scrapped, etc etc.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited August 2013
    And yet, as we were reminded by Andy_JS on the previous thread, the latest YouGov has the Conservatives down just 3 points from their 2010 vote share, which must be really quite unusually low for a mid-term drop, even without allowing for world economic conditions.

Who knows whether the particular aspect of recent history highlighted by TSE will repeat itself? The dynamics are different this time. All the same, a majority looks a big ask, given the disgraceful conspiracy by the LibDems and Labour to torpedo the completely uncontroversial measure to correct the fact that voters in Labour strongholds get a disproportionately large number of seats per voter.
  • Options

Miss Plato, I quite agree. Maybe we'll see one asking Lib Dems or Labour members if stopping climate change justifies increasing energy bills by £300 per annum, whether fuel duty should increase to promote the use of public transport, whether we should harmonise taxes with the EU, whether Trident should be scrapped, etc etc.

I haven't heard a mention on BBC Anything about their 12% of all prosecutions for Licence Fees. Maybe I've missed it - but I've heard no coverage of this at all.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,766
    edited August 2013
    It has to be admitted the Conservatives came mighty close to increasing their share in 1987 and 1992 which was quite an achievement given how controversial those parliamentary terms were.
  • Options
    O/T:

Play about to start at The Oval.

Betfair odds:

England: 7.5
    Australia: 2.7
    Draw: 1.7

http://www.betfair.com/sport#u=/sport/cricket/event?eventId=27027049
  • Options
    Miss Plato, there is no such story. If it were, IngSocNews would surely have reported it :p
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Interesting that only twice since 1959 has either the government or main opposition increased their share by more than 5 percentage points: Thatcher in 1979 and Blair in 1997.

If Miliband matched the best of those - Blair's 8.8% in 1997 - he'd only get Labour up to 38.5%.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    It's a pretty small sample, I wouldn't rush to the bookies just on this alone.
    Worth noting that for most of the decreases for the last 2 governments have been during a time when the opposition has been effectively unelectable.

The Tories between 79 and 97, and Labour between 97 and 2010 saw falls in their vote share but were still safe due to the useless nature of the opposition at the time.

Plus we're dealing with a stable coalition now, so the Tories could still remain stable or even increase their vote share with the Lib Dems taking the pain.

Oh and UKIP could hurt the blues too...

That said, overall i'm inclined to agree that the Tories are likely to see a drop in their share of the vote.
  • Options

I think the BBC will now have to get ComRes to poll Labour councillors on ;

Do you think Ed Miliband is doing a good job as Labour party leader ?

Do you support a referendum on EU membership ?

Are you affiliated to Unite ?

Do you think the last Labour government got its immigration policy wrong ?

Did you support Ed Balls' " light touch " towards the banking regulation ?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

If only UKIP did not exist Cam would be laughing....

.........But they do and Cammo will be crying in Sammo's bosom by the time this parliament ends.
  • Options

Miss Plato, there is no such story. If it were, IngSocNews would surely have reported it :p

I was stunned by that story. About 12 years ago now I did a fair bit of low level prosecution work in the District Court. Most courts would have the odd TV licence case up but I can't believe at that time it was even 1% of cases. Presumably it was 0% of cases in the Sheriff court which deal with more serious matters.

I wonder what their definition of prosecution is? Would a fixed penalty be a prosecution? Fixed penalties were much more limited when I was prosecuting than they are today.

Any which way it is indisputable that this is ridiculous and needs changed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Andy_JS said:

O/T:

Play about to start at The Oval.

Betfair odds:

England: 7.5
    Australia: 2.7
    Draw: 1.7

http://www.betfair.com/sport#u=/sport/cricket/event?eventId=27027049

Need Jimmy to rescue my position in the test.

• Options

... the fact that voters in Labour strongholds get a disproportionately large number of seats per voter.

I'd have thought that we had been through this so many times that someone like you wouldn't get it wrong.

The boundary changes would only have [partially, because based on old data] corrected for the tendency for Labour's inner-city seats to have fewer registered electors.

You know full well that the differential turnout means that Labour pile up fewer votes in safe seats, and that anti-Conservative tactical voting also reduces the number of Labour votes where they are third, thus appearing to give Labour more seats than their national vote total deserves, but simply because Labour voters modify their behaviour in reaction to their knowledge about the way in which FPTP operates.

If Conservative activists were not so keen on bussing their older supporters to the polls in their safe shire seats, but concentrated more of their effort on marginal constituencies, that would probably do more to "correct" for this anomaly than Cameron's shameful attempt to erect a trans-Tamar Parliamentary constituency. When the sun is shining it almost looks like the Amazon in places you know!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Need Jimmy to rescue my position in the test.

Feel really sorry for the new guys. How much more evidence do the ECB need that county cricket is a bankrupt anachronism that doesn't prepare players for the top level?

It's almost like they've got to learn a new sport.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Plato said:

I'm seriously thinking of paying £25 and joining them after the diet of threads about how they're doomed on here.

And I've never joined a party ever - I once gave £10 to the Libertarian Party 5yrs ago.

Of course you should join the Conservative Party . As one of the most partisan pro Conservative posters and apologists on here , I would think that they would be happy to pay your £ 25 membership fee for services rendered .
  • Options

Plato said:

Of course you should join the Conservative Party . As one of the most partisan pro Conservative posters and apologists on here , I would think that they would be happy to pay your £ 25 membership fee for services rendered .
    Your personal charm never fails to amaze me Mr Senior - what a credit you are to your party.
  • Options
    Anybody think UKIP or Con will put license fee reform in their manifestos???
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It is almost impossible to disagree with that. They just might get a little nearer though. I thought OGH's recommendation of a minority administration without a coalition was very interesting. The problem would be whether they could be prevented from introducing the boundary changes once again.

I thought the boundary changes had been postponed rather than voted down.

• Options
    taffys said:

IIRC I saw a Kipper saying they would last night.
  • Options
    taffys said:

No

Like the NHS, the BBC is one of those institutions that you would be a fool to mess with.
    I said it of the Tories and the NHS, they should have left well alone. Their entire detox strategy ruined by messing with it.

The BBC may well need a kick/modernisation/reorg/whatever, but not enough people demand it versus the number of people who see it as another institution that makes us British...
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, licence*. It only takes an S when used as a verb (like practice).

And the blues won't. They should, though.
  • Options
    Plato said:

taffys said:

Lord Pearson introduced a private members bill on BBC reforms last month.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/bbctrusteeelectionandlicencefee.html

If prosecution for non-payment of the BBC licence fee is that common, it should be a vote winer for UKIP. 'Better off with UKIP'.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I thought the boundary changes had been postponed rather than voted down.

And they could be postponed again if a majority in Parliament felt so minded.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    edited August 2013
    Will there ever again be good news for the Tories?

Labours lead with YouGov was just 3% this morning LOL but its still all terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible for the Tories here. Has Prof. King taken over and we haven't been told? ;)
  • Options

Plato said:

taffys said:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/bbctrusteeelectionandlicencefee.html

If prosecution for non-payment of the BBC licence fee is that common, it should be a vote winer for UKIP. 'Better off with UKIP'.
    The DT didn't lead with it and the BBC ignore the entire story for no reason. There is quite a body of opinion who really resent the TVL - and Kippers who get an even rougher ride than Tories are more open to it as a policy if the hundreds of tweets I've seen is any yardstick.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Those pesky judges getting in the way of Theresa May's glorious revolution where she will become our Benevolent Dictator for life.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Gin1138 wrote :

"Will there ever again be good news for the Tories?"

Ever day is a good news day for the Tories whilst Ed remains in post !!
  • Options
    Plato said:

Tories are more open to it as a policy if the hundreds of tweets I've seen is any yardstick.

Naturally Tories are more open to the idea, they're also more open to the idea of privatising the NHS. Both of which would be bloody stupid to include in a manifesto.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358
    edited August 2013

Plato said:

Tories are more open to it as a policy if the hundreds of tweets I've seen is any yardstick.

Naturally Tories are more open to the idea, they're also more open to the idea of privatising the NHS. Both of which would be bloody stupid to include in a manifesto.
    Remember it was the Tories wot introduced the real Poll Tax - they'll likely not want to abolish the TV Poll Tax, I mean Licence Fee, sorry!
  • Options

I could see it being useful in that labour and and libs would have to defend the status quo. Gargantuan salaries....huge payoffs.....Saville et all....hounding licence fee non-payers.....bias....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

taffys said:

No

Like the NHS, the BBC is one of those institutions that you would be a fool to mess with.
    I said it of the Tories and the NHS, they should have left well alone. Their entire detox strategy ruined by messing with it.

The BBC may well need a kick/modernisation/reorg/whatever, but not enough people demand it versus the number of people who see it as another institution that makes us British...
    You are quite wrong regarding the BBC in 2013. Many now view the BBC with suspicion and is actually disliked or despised by a large section of the population.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I'd have thought that we had been through this so many times that someone like you wouldn't get it wrong.

We have indeed been through zillions of times, and it is amazing that anyone by now hasn't understood the full extent of the disgrace.

The average size of Labour constituencies is 68,487 whereas the average size of Conservative constituencies is 72,418. This is partly due to fact that Labour performed much stronger than the Conservatives in Wales and Scotland where constituencies tend to be smaller than in England. (The average size of constituencies in Wales is 56,628 and in Scotland 65,475, whereas the average size in England is 71,858.) But even within England, the average size of Labour constituencies is 70,252 as compared to the average size of Conservative constituencies of 72,816.

It is a straightforward, incontrovertible fact that constituency sizes are biased towards Labour. The over-representation of Wales is just staggering - and that's even without considering the West Lothian aspect of the issue.

Nothing to do with better distribution of votes, nothing to do with differential turnout (those factors work IN ADDITION to the electoral bias, and of course no-one is complaining about them).

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/archives/18125
  • Options
    Because Mr Senior was so charming - I've paid my £25 and joined the Tories.

Feel free to include me as an official member of PB Tories - you only have yourselves to blame :^ )
  • Options
    The over-representation of Wales is just staggering

I've always wondered why there's ever been a need for legislation on this. Surely the electoral commission should be sorting it out. Isn't that what it is there for?
  • Options
    "As UK and European parliamentarians start to return from their long summer break, a nationwide poll of 11,211 over 50s, the largest of its kind, reveals a yearning for a referendum on the UK’s relationship with the EU, and some interesting regional variations."

http://www.saga.co.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2013/august/over-50s-demand-a-referendum-on-uks-relationship-with-the-eu.aspx
  • Options
    Plato said:

Feel free to include me as an official member of PB Tories - you only have yourselves to blame :^ )

Plato - first of the PB Mensch's :)

(only kidding!!!!)
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Plato said:

(only kidding!!!!)
    My facelift is in the post :^ )

For the price of two pizzas - it seemed like a good deal to keep Labour out.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Welcome, Plato!

Will you come to the excellent Conservative Policy Forum meetings we have (in very pleasant pubs in Mayfield and Wadhurst)? I can recommend them - details from Jeanette at the constituency office:

http://www.wealdenconservatives.com/

Of course the other big point of interest will be choosing the new candidate (and presumably MP) for the next election. I'm not sure what the cut-off date for new members will be, as the process hasn't formally started yet.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

taffys said:

No

You are quite wrong regarding the BBC in 2013. Many now view the BBC with suspicion and is actually disliked or despised by a large section of the population.
    has any polling actually been done that backs your theory up?

• Options

Plato said:

Welcome, Plato!

Will you come to the excellent Conservative Policy Forum meetings we have (in very pleasant pubs in Mayfield and Wadhurst)? I can recommend them - details from Jeanette at the constituency office:

Of course the other big point of interest will be choosing the new candidate (and presumably MP) for the next election. I'm not sure what the cut-off date for new members will be, as the process hasn't formally started yet.
    Will have a looksee - I've given up my car so not easy to get up that way.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    That's the constituency system. You either abolish it entirely, or keep it in a modified form, where national votes determine the overall result. Either AMS or PR^2.

PR^2 at least keeps everyone as a member of a small 1,2,3 seat constituency. A return in some ways to the system that operated for 600 years prior to 1885...
  • Options

Plato said:

(only kidding!!!!)
    Maybe the Labourites will call them Untermenschen?
  • Options

We have indeed been through zillions of times, and it is amazing that anyone by now hasn't understood the full extent of the disgrace.

The average size of Labour constituencies is 68,487 whereas the average size of Conservative constituencies is 72,418. This is partly due to fact that Labour performed much stronger than the Conservatives in Wales and Scotland where constituencies tend to be smaller than in England. (The average size of constituencies in Wales is 56,628 and in Scotland 65,475, whereas the average size in England is 71,858.) But even within England, the average size of Labour constituencies is 70,252 as compared to the average size of Conservative constituencies of 72,816.

It is a straightforward, incontrovertible fact that constituency sizes are biased towards Labour. The over-representation of Wales is just staggering - and that's even without considering the West Lothian aspect of the issue.

Nothing to do with better distribution of votes, nothing to do with differential turnout (those factors work IN ADDITION to the electoral bias, and of course no-one is complaining about them).

Mr Nabavi, you conflated voters with electors. The different size of the constituencies makes a modest difference compared to the other factors, and it mostly arises because of a tendency for the population to move from Labour constituencies to Conservative constituencies, and for boundary reviews to be slow and based on old data.

This is very far from being a disgrace.
  • Options

Plato said:

taffys said:

My daughter lives in Strabane. "Nobody" who is republican there buys a licence, it must be 40% non payment if she is correct. Watches Irish TV mainly as hates BBC Norn Iron. Would cause a right stink if they started prosecuting so all kept quiet. If they get away with it then everyone who has issues with the beeb should decide individually what is right for them.

• Options
    Plato said:

Not sure I can respect you quite as much, joining a party in a fit of pique rather than genuine conviction.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Watches Irish TV mainly as hates BBC Norn Iron.

Wow, I have a soft spot for RTE but to prefer it to the BBC is quite something (and RTE is part-funded by a licence fee too but not applicable in Northern Ireland in the same way that people in the Republic dont pay a fee to the BBC even though they can openly watch it for free).
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Cameron won't fundamentally change the BBC but what he should do is squeeze the Licence Fee further.

From 2011 to 2017 the BBC is cutting spending by 16% in real terms. But guess what - there has been almost no impact on any BBC services at all. Yes, they lost 50% of F1 but they've just added the FA Cup again from next year.

They are basically absorbing the whole 16% real terms cut without any discernable scaling back of any BBC operations. Of course that just demonstrates how massive the waste was.

Plus the Licence Fee deal done in late 2010 was before further cuts announced much more recently - eg to Government departments for 2015/16.

So if Cameron wins he must go for at least another 5 year Licence Fee freeze in nominal terms (ie 2017 to 2022). If he's feeling brave maybe go for a 1% nominal cut per year for those 5 years.

If he does this the BBC should, at long last, be forced to start making at least some cuts to its operations.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

Labour has both an efficiency and a bias advantage. It's efficiency advantage is it's own good fortune and not alot can, or should be done about it under FPTP. The bias towards them can, and of course should be eliminated though.
  • Options

Mr Nabavi, you conflated voters with electors. The different size of the constituencies makes a modest difference compared to the other factors, and it mostly arises because of a tendency for the population to move from Labour constituencies to Conservative constituencies, and for boundary reviews to be slow and based on old data.

Is there a 'tendency for the population to move from Labour constituencies to Conservative constituencies'? I wonder why that might be (* innocent face *)
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Well, if you really honestly think it's not a disgrace that an electorate of one million Welshmen get 17 or 18 seats, whereas an electorate of one million Englishmen get 14 seats, and that this type of distortion benefits one party in particular to the extent of quite possible changing the party which forms the government, then I must say I admire your capacity for partisan self-delusion.

Why stop there? If you made Surrey, Hampshire and Sussex into one big seat, you could guarantee Labour hegemony for ever.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour has both an efficiency and a bias advantage. It's efficiency advantage is it's own good fortune and not alot can, or should be done about it under FPTP. The bias towards them can, and of course should be eliminated though.

Precisely. No sane person could possibly disagree.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited August 2013
    The length of the discussion on the previous two threads about the ins and outs of paying maternity leave, claiming it back, hiring temps etc etc make me think it would be easier to just employ a bloke
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Neil said:

Watches Irish TV mainly as hates BBC Norn Iron.

Wow, I have a soft spot for RTE but to prefer it to the BBC is quite something (and RTE is part-funded by a licence fee too but not applicable in Northern Ireland in the same way that people in the Republic dont pay a fee to the BBC even though they can openly watch it for free).
    I prefer RTE to UK progs when back home, maybe it's the novelty factor but TG4 usually has some watchable stuff. Rasai na Gaillimhe was good fun shame they didn't show it over here.
  • Options

Why stop there? If you made Surrey, Hampshire and Sussex into one big seat, you could guarantee Labour hegemony for ever.
    You're starting to talk sense at last! ;)

The over-representation of Wales isnt a pro-Labour conspiracy. It's a long established feature of the system (so long established it predates the birth of Labour) and is seen in other countries too (eg the US Senate also gives smaller constituent states more representation than their population strictly deserves).

I can see why people would argue against it (and I would tend to agree with them I think) but it's not some sort of disgraceful outrage invented by the last Labour government to gerrymander the system in its own favour.

• Options

Plato said:

Welcome, Plato!

Will the new Income from Plato's membership allow you to re employ the Constituency Agent you made redundant in 2012 ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358
    edited August 2013
    If you'll forgive me for going into Avery mode, this what each of the English regions, Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland should get seat-wise if 650 seats were allocated across the whole Kingdom equally:

region/nation electorate seats average seats change
    now if equal
    EAST MIDLANDS 3342019 46 72653 48 2
    EASTERN 4276010 58 73724 61 3
    LONDON 5265564 73 72131 75 2
    NORTH EAST 1954707 29 67404 28 -1
    NORTH WEST 5250200 75 70003 75 0
    SOUTH EAST 6316817 84 75200 90 6
    SOUTH WEST 4012541 55 72955 57 2
    WEST MIDLAND 4078185 59 69122 58 -1
    YORKS/HUMBER 3822853 54 70794 54 0

ENGLAND 38318896 533 71554 546 13
    N. IRELAND 1169195 18 64955 17 -1
    SCOTLAND 3864413 59 65499 55 -4
    WALES 2245852 40 56146 32 -8

UK 45598356 650 70151 650 0
  • Options
    (eg the US Senate also gives smaller constituent states more representation than their population strictly deserves).

Does the US Senate also allow senators in the smaller states to vote on matters that do not affect their own constituents?
  • Options

Plato said:

Not sure I can respect you quite as much, joining a party in a fit of pique rather than genuine conviction.
    Oh my! Internet humour isn't transmitting to Australia today :^ )
  • Options

Plato said:

Welcome, Plato!

Will the new Income from Plato's membership allow you to re employ the Constituency Agent you made redundant in 2012 ?
    Because paying someone to ensure a Tory gets elected in Wealden is a really good use of resources!
  • Options
    Neil said:

I can see why people would argue against it (and I would tend to agree with them I think) but it's not some sort of disgraceful outrage invented by the last Labour government to gerrymander the system in its own favour.

I didn't say it was.

However, the fact still remains that they torpedoed the measure to correct it. That is the outrage.

Of course it's not just Wales - it's also the North East and, to an extent, Scotland. All, coincidentally (I'm not being cynical, I think it is coincidental!) Labour strongholds. No-one would much mind if the variations all cancelled out overall, but they don't.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    So Plato's IN!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

... But even within England, the average size of Labour constituencies is 70,252 as compared to the average size of Conservative constituencies of 72,816.

It is a straightforward, incontrovertible fact that constituency sizes are biased towards Labour. ...

The issue isn't differential turnout, it's differential registration. People in rural areas move less frequently and at any given moment are, I'd think (but I can't prove it offhand) significantly more likely to be registered. My guess is that the actual number of people who would be entitled to register who are living in urban constituencies is larger than in the average rural population. In really run-down areas where people move frequently, electoral registration is very low indeed despite councils' best efforts - people just don't see it as a priority. By contrast, if they live in Little Snoring for years, they do get round to it in the end.

There is a separate argument over whether the system should allow for this or whether we should say that people who don't get around to registering at once when they move deserve to be disenfranchised. But that doesn't justify your pronouncement that bias is a straightforward, incontrovertible fact. The system is something else: a traditionally British muddled compromise, somewhere between voting by population and voting by electorate..

That said, you might be right about Wales - I've not looked at that.
    MikeK said:

It depends what you mean by "many" - it's true in the sense of "many people vote UKIP", but the BBC remains Britain's most trusted news source by a large margin:
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/howwework/reports/pdf/bbc_report_trust_and_impartiality_report_may_2013.pdf&sa=U&ei=2icWUvaTE86AhAfj6oGoCA&ved=0CBQQFjAF&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNECtZ8KWzvx0ZAeguxxiIlhqIN9ug
  • Options
    edited August 2013

However, the fact still remains that they torpedoed the measure to correct it. That is the outrage.

They torpedoed a measure that did a number of things as well as correcting the Wales situation. They can legitimately argue they were more concerned with those other issues. If the Coalition had just come forward with a measure equivalent to the moves to cut the over-representation in Scotland then Labour may well have supported it. After all it was a Labour government that reduced Scotland's over-representation.
  • Options
    I think the seat sizes would be less of an issue if there were no devolution.

Wanting over-representation and a say in matters that do not affect your voters - that's too much surely.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    their share of the vote will not be going up and Labour’s won’t be decreasing

Quite so, as many of us have been saying for a long time.

So the question is, how much will Labour's share increase? If we generously put the Tory ceiling at 36%, a Labour share of 33% or so should put Ed Miliband in No 10.

Tory-Labour more or less level pegging, and Labour have a majority.

Though a lot at the margins depends on the behaviour of anti-Tory tacticals, the performance of the Lib Dems, and the UKIP / Tory dynamic, it still puts the "Miliband will not be PM" guff you read on here into perspective.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited August 2013
    Plato said:

Plato said:

Oh my! Internet humour isn't transmitting to Australia today :^ )
    It's fantastic news Plato. Well done.

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday morning 7am (don't be late, they don't like it when people are late) for the first round of 4,500 leaflets.

Then when you've done those (shouldn't take longer than a few hours) you can meet at 7pm Saturday eve at the Coach & Horses for some envelopes. Only 3,450 of those so should be done in a jiffy.

We'll let you know next week's schedule but the watchword is busy, busy, busy.... there's not a moment to lose....
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    RE constituencies. Personally I think constituency size should be based on population, registered to vote or not. Everyone deserves MP representation, voter or not.

Also, there should be more MPs. As population increases and issues become more complex, people should have more democratic representation rather than gradually getting less.

Hopefully Ed Miliband will address some of these kind of issues if / when he becomes PM.
  • Options
    Neil said:

They torpedoed a measure that did a number of things as well as correcting the Wales situation. They can legitimately argue they were more concerned with those other issues. If the Coalition had just come forward with a measure equivalent to the moves to cut the over-representation in Scotland then Labour may well have supported it. After all it was a Labour government that reduced Scotland's over-representation.
    Reducing the number of seats by 8 in Wales would almost certainly not have changed the distribution of seats between the parties . On the proposals for new constituencies Labour would have lost 4 of the 8 , Conservatives 3 and Plaid or Lib Dem 1 depending on the actual new constituencies .
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This might be of interest to those who are concerned about the BBC polling Tory councillors:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidance-polls-surveys-summary/

"Commissioning an opinion poll on politics or any matter of public policy involves a mandatory referral - in advance - to the Chief Adviser, Politics, for consultation and approval.

In most cases, there should also be consultation with the Head of Political Research for advice on appropriate companies, phrasing of questions, sample size and other technical issues. Consultation with either is also advisable when commissioning any opinion polls - especially on controversial issues.

Programme-makers should ask themselves searching questions before proposing the commissioning of an opinion poll. These might include:

•Are the results likely to tell me something new, or are they geared towards reinforcing something I think I already know?
    •If the results are unexpected, or indicate views which run contrary to other evidence gathered for my programme - what would I do? Adjust my narrative? Express scepticism in my own research? Decide it is a "rogue" and ignore it? (Not recommended);
    •How useful is a one-off snap-shot poll on this subject? Is there a way of demonstrating a trend, a movement in opinion? Or, are there other ways of achieving the same editorial objective?
    •What about the timing of the fieldwork? Are there other factors at work, other stories in the news, which may have a short-term impact on the results?
    •How appropriate is the subject matter for a BBC-commissioned opinion poll? Are respondents likely to have sufficient knowledge/interest for the results to be meaningful? How will the mere fact of asking these questions reflect on the BBC as a whole?"
  • Options
    Even with 650 seats, Wales ahould have eight less (See table upthread)
  • Options
    Loved this re Balcombe - Sussex Police are really quite funny on Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSDxxf0IEAE8hCy.jpg:large
  • Options
    @MarkSenior

Wasnt the proposal for Wales to lose 10 seats? No matter I think the point is largely the same (and the same as mine) anyway.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So Plato's IN!

Call me Darth from now on.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    edited August 2013

If you'll forgive me for going into Avery mode, this what each of the English regions, Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland should get seat-wise if 650 seats were allocated across the whole Kingdom equally:

That kind of seat distribution would have got the Tories over the winning line in 2010, or at least close enough to it for a minority government.
  • Options
    @MaxPB

Osborne is hiding his desire to shut down HS2 very well these days!!!
  • Options
    Neil said:

@MarkSenior

Wasnt the proposal for Wales to lose 10 seats? No matter I think the point is largely the same (and the same as mine) anyway.

Depends on whether the number of MP's is 600 or 650 . The effect is the same . With 10 seats fewer Labour would only lose 5 seats and Conservatives 4 .
  • Options
    If you don't follow this Twitter account - you're missing some treats

Tweets MPs Delete @deletedbyMPs
    DT @MichaelMcCannMP: @Goldie11Michael - Daly is a low-life toad, and your sarcasm is well placed. pltw.ps/1d5td5x
  • Options

region/nation electorate seats average seats change
    now if equal
    EAST MIDLANDS 3342019 46 72653 48 2
    EASTERN 4276010 58 73724 61 3
    LONDON 5265564 73 72131 75 2
    NORTH EAST 1954707 29 67404 28 -1
    NORTH WEST 5250200 75 70003 75 0
    SOUTH EAST 6316817 84 75200 90 6
    SOUTH WEST 4012541 55 72955 57 2
    WEST MIDLAND 4078185 59 69122 58 -1
    YORKS/HUMBER 3822853 54 70794 54 0

ENGLAND 38318896 533 71554 546 13
    N. IRELAND 1169195 18 64955 17 -1
    SCOTLAND 3864413 59 65499 55 -4
    WALES 2245852 40 56146 32 -8

UK 45598356 650 70151 650 0
    Scotland and Wales have 15% more seats than they're entitled to at present.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scotland and Wales have 15% more seats than they're entitled to at present.

Scotland and Wales may have 15% more seats than you would like them to have at present but they have exactly the number of seats they are entitled to.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

There is a separate argument over whether the system should allow for this or whether we should say that people who don't get around to registering at once when they move deserve to be disenfranchised.

Just so I don't miss an opportunity to moan about this, the view of the last Labour government was that people who move around across national boundaries deserve to be disenfranchised, in both the country they are a national of and the country they move to, whether they get around to registering or not.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, there are lies, damed lies and statistics. To put the opposite case, only once since WWII has a government lost power at the election after it came to office.

In fact, there's a pretty good record of governments doing well at their first attempt at re-election:

1950: Labour lose many seats but hold on to power, though not for all that long
    1955: The Conservatives increase their seats and majority
    1966: Labour increases their majority substantially, as well as vote share
    1974F: The Conservatives lose power, though only just and retain a plurality of the vote
    1974O: Labour increases its seats total, turning a minority government into one with (for a short time) a slender majority.
    1983: The Conservatives win a landslide in an election with a lot of churn but where the net effect is Lab to Alliance
    2001: Labour wins a second landslide, albeit fractionally smaller than their first.

To the extent that there is a golden rule, it's this: once the party in government's majority falls from one election result to the next, it won't increase again. In other words, the majority can go up in office (as on several occasions), but once it's peaked, it's downhill from there until opposition.

One other point to note: one factor for the declining shares of governments has been the growth of Others (including the Liberals / Alliance / Lib Dems). As such, to a small extent, it hasn't mattered if the absolute share has fallen a little from election to election as the bar needed to be reached to form a government has fallen by well over 10% since 1950.
  • Options

only once since WWII has a government lost power at the election after it came to office

They've usually had a majority to begin with though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, 1966 and October 1974 have something in common: the largest party in the previous Parliament had taken over the reins of Government at the previous election, but lacked an effective majority and sought a proper mandate. The Conservatives will be in this position in 2015.

/devil's advocate
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    The nasty party to become the Nastia party

News is coming through that the Conservatives are in negotiation to retain the services of Anastasia Fedorenchik for the 2015 General Election campaign.

The decision to approach the Russian follows a pattern of recruiting high profile election campaigners from outside the country, such as Lynton Crosby from Australia and Jim Messina, Obama's 2012 campaign winner from the United States.

Fedorenchik is currently press-secretary to "Nashi" the pro-Putin youth movement in Russia. Her expertise is in using visual media to project party leaders to female voters.

On Putin's last birthday (October 7th, 2012), she published a widely praised photo-tribute to Russia's President under the title "21 Reasons why Russian Girls Love Vladimir Putin".

Conservative Party strategists have been concerned about David Cameron's poor polling among the female voters and believe that Fedorenchik's more robust approach would help turn the tide.

Cosy date-night photos of Dave and Sam on holiday are expected to be replaced by Putin type macho action shoots. "Women like their leaders to be emotionally strong, to be defenders and providers", Anastasia said, "It is not a question of creating a fantasy but of using photography to reveal a leader's true character."

Fedorenchik pointed to an example of how this has been done in Russia: http://bit.ly/18MkVK9

The full 2012 birthday tribute to Putin can be viewed here: http://bit.ly/VGV9CH
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2013

Even with 650 seats, Wales ahould have eight less (See table upthread)

Indeed it should and I'd agree on the grounds of common sense and fairness even though it "devalues" the weight of my vote versus an "English" vote.

Beyond that obvious maths (well unless your name is Nick Clegg and you have a flounce) there is the inherent awkwardness of the good old West Lothian question, and it ain't going away any time soon. As is well known Scottish Westminster MP's are voting on matters that they don't have responsibility for back home and so to an extent are the Welsh (and even in Wales there are big chunks of real influence devolved - like the health service). Now N Ireland was a similar anomaly from 1922 - the 70's and had reduced MP's compared to its population as a result (12 v 19?), and in my view the system could stand a small quirk like that especially as effectively they were holding a mini election without UK parties involved (largely). The problem is unsustainable though when you throw in Wales and Scotland too and over 115 seats or 18% becomes an "anomaly". Ultimately you can properly federalise a la USA/Australia but of course that leaves England as a colossus of 85% of the whole by population (and growing as a proportion) and the "UK PM" not much more than Foreign Secretary. From a Labour perspective too England is a much tougher vote to win than the UK - even Howard won the popular vote in England in 2005 (I think).

It's as if Blair simply thought "we'll chuck the Scots a Devo bone as a sop for having put up with Maggie, that'll shut 'em up, let's move on" and sadly it all remains unresolved and festering slowly to flair up periodically.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Neil said:

Yes, and one of the things that it also did was to reduce the importance of "natural boundaries" when determining constituency boundaries.

I believe that the general use of natural boundaries in determining UK constituencies has done a lot to save us from gerrymandering, and throwing it out in order to make a net difference of a handful of seats seemed to me too much harm for too little good.

Now, I am in favour of relatively large multi-member STV seats. This would do a lot more to give each voter's vote an equal weight, as it would vastly reduce the number of no-hope/no-effort areas for each party.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    @AveryLP - They tried number 5 of the birthday tribute ideas before. It wasn't a great success, or at least not for William Hague.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

21 Reasons why Russian Girls Love Vladimir Putin

I'm sure they're exaggerating.
This discussion has been closed.