Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take the 8-1 William Hill hung parliament but no coalition

2»

Comments

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The picture of the children killed by gas attacks in Syria reveals the horrors that ruthless dictators are happy to use. But the world will investigate and stand by.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398691/Syria-Nerve-gas-attack-near-Damascus-kills-1-300-including-women-children.html
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Mick_Pork said:

Scott_P said:

Mick_Pork said:

The Falkirk fall-out continues

Who could possibly have seen that coming? :)

The PB Kinnocks told us a fight with Len was great news for Ed...
    I didn't. :)

The PB tories just saw the word "union" in the Falkirk story, foamed at the mouth about unions and Len for a while and were too dumb to realise it's actual implications.
    The Blairite dinosaurs are like the bloody night of the living dead.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Dow logs 6-day losing streak to close below 15000 after Fed minutes

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100977824

The markets will probably start to improve after I publish this on PB; they usually do. However its been a rough week for the Dow because investors and share holders are nervous at the Feds peculiar moves. Or is there a more radical change about to occur in sentiment?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    As a matter of interest, I am a fan of Spiked-Online. Its articles are provocative, but intelligent and often against received orthodoxy.

Some of the writers have interesting political histories, but the line is often more libertarian than Communist nowadays.
    tim said:

Floater said:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/dont_blame_mr_ed_for_labours_failings/13939#.UhUjbEby35S

Amusing, unless you are a Labour spinner.

"Far be it from me to leap to Miliband’s defence. He is indeed a hopeless excuse for a political leader, with no vision or charisma or connection to the public, as reflected in his dire poll ratings among Labour’s own voters."

Big fan of the Revolutioanry Communist Party and the reason they had to start Spiked are you?
    Or not aware.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    carl said:

Mick_Pork said:

Scott_P said:

Mick_Pork said:

The Falkirk fall-out continues

Who could possibly have seen that coming? :)

The PB Kinnocks told us a fight with Len was great news for Ed...
    I didn't. :)

The PB tories just saw the word "union" in the Falkirk story, foamed at the mouth about unions and Len for a while and were too dumb to realise it's actual implications.
    The Blairite dinosaurs are like the bloody night of the living dead.
    All we need is Reid and Blunkett to start weighing in. Oh that's right, they already have.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Financier, when the international community's response is given moral authority, or not, by a council that has veto-wielding members including China and Russia this is not very surprising.
  • Options
    A better option would be for the state rather than the employer to be responsible for paying maternity pay.

This is the case in some European countries, and removes the reason that so many small employers are potentially reluctant to take on women of fertile age.
    Financier said:

Another UKIP policy?

Employment law should be torn up to allow small firms to sack women workers who get pregnant, UKIP MEP Godfrey Bloom has suggested.

The Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire MEP said that owners of smaller businesses were too scared to hire women of childbearing age because of maternity and anti-discrimination laws.

Mr Bloom called for the tearing up of 'draconian' employment legislation which burdened small employers by giving women the right to take maternity leave and expect their jobs back.

He said there should be 'liberty of contract' which would see a woman replaced for a job if she had children.

'Young women would much rather have a job under liberty of contract than not be given a job because of the fears some employers might have', he told London's LBC radio.

He had argued that feminism had 'done no favours' for the 'sisterhood' and that maternity rights in employment law had been bad for women.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398985/Bongo-bongo-land-UKIP-politician-Godfrey-Bloom-says-companies-sack-pregnant-women.html#ixzz2cdcNznO8
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited August 2013
    @Carl

Tories always tell us that the long years of sustained growth and rising living standards under the last Government was "the wrong sort of growth", because it was an unsustainable debt-fuelled boom.

Now, Cameron and Osborne have tried to engineer an unsustainable debt-fuelled boom, it's good news?

Carl, I have an investment opportunity for you.

If you believe that increased borrowing is the best way of generating growth, why don't you empty your Porky Bank and invest the contents in Greek infrastructure development.

With your money in their hands, the Greeks might be able to renovate the Parthenon and convert it into a 5 star hotel to meet increased tourist demand for hotel beds in Athens.

No need to provide me with a cut on profits. My advice, on this occasion, is provided entirely free of charge.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    During a speech on welfare a few months ago, Ed Miliband repeatedly referred to Labour as the "party of work". "The clue is in the name", Miliband told the cameras, hoping, presumably, that voters would see Labour as the champions of working people, rather than idle ones.

The idea that Labour remains the party of the proletariat is partly the basis of Miliband’s so-called '35 per cent' strategy - the idea that a coalition of Labour’s core voters and disaffected Liberal Democrats can sweep Miliband to power in 2015 with just over a third of the vote (with no need to servilely seek the support of 'middle England'). Swathes of blue-collar working class voters, mainly in the north of England, will turn out to vote Labour in any election come what may, so the logic goes. It is the Labour Party, after all, and the "clue is in the name" - it is the party of labour, the working classes.

The problem is that increasingly it isn’t.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/08/working-class-voters-and-progressive-left-widening-chasm
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Foxinsox, an interesting solution, but should the state be spending taxpayers' money doing that for private companies?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited August 2013
    New to Spiked, but I enjoyed this ("What is the point of Ed Miliband?"):

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/10944#.UhUozpJchBA
  • Options
    The benefit for the state is increased female workforce participation, so the taxes paid in the longterm benefit the state.

At the moment maternity benefit is mandatory, and effectively a haphazard tax on employers of young women. Big employers such as my own NHS can absorb this as a cost, but smaller employers struggle to do so. My local pub nearly went under when the cook went off on maternity leave as the landlord could not viably pay the maternity pay, and also a replacement cook.

Mr. Foxinsox, an interesting solution, but should the state be spending taxpayers' money doing that for private companies?

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    SeanT said:

Has anyone else been to south east Sicily? I'm here doing a Times travel piece. And it's weird. Mafia cement works frowning at hidden baroque cities. A strange maudlin silence reigning over ruined villages. An air of almost post apocalyptic loneliness edged with intense antique beauty,

Mind you, I've only been here an hour.

Keep spending Murdoch's money.
  • Options
    David Miranda's application for interim relief against the Secretary of State for the Home Department will be heard by a Divisional Court of the Queen's Bench Division tomorrow at 10.30 am. The court will be constituted by Beatson LJ and Kenneth Parker J.
  • Options
    The issue isn't the cost of Maternity Pay. In most cases if an employer pays the minimum SMP they reclaim it from HMRC. If they pay more than the minimum they do so from the kindness of their hearts.

The real cost is finding cover while keeping a job open indefinitely. How can a small enterprise find someone for 6 or 12 months who is half as good as an experienced employee? It's a major problem and the State makes it more difficult with well-meaning legislation.

Having been a "boss" for over 30 years I would never again offer a job to a woman under 35. Even when they're not pregnant they're usually drunk, depressed or in love - all conditions inimical to a productive 35-hour week. There are plenty of returning mothers in the age range 40-60 who are intelligent, self-disciplined and grateful to be employed. I built my modest commercial empire on their sturdy backs and they shower me with gratitude.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    edited August 2013

David Miranda's application for interim relief against the Secretary of State for the Home Department will be heard by a Divisional Court of the Queen's Bench Division tomorrow at 10.30 am. The court will be constituted by Beatson LJ and Kenneth Parker J.

The time limit for holding onto his possessions must be very close to expiring anyway. IIRC they have to return stuff taken under Sch 7 within 7 days. It will be fascinating to see if they accept this or seek to hold onto the computer and memory sticks on some other basis.

I would be interested in your thoughts but this seems to me an extremely optimistic application at this stage. The only way I think they can win is by having Sch 7 declared non-compliant and I can't see any court doing that on an interim basis.

• Options
    Those with confidence in England to turn things around at The Oval can get 6.6 with Betfair:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/competition?id=2466384
  • Options

The real cost is finding cover while keeping a job open indefinitely. How can a small enterprise find someone for 6 or 12 months who is half as good as an experienced employee?

I'm getting confused now. It's hard to replace some-one on maternity leave but easy to replace some-one if you sacked them for being pregnant?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Daily Mail - Miliband should quit to save Labour': Blairite ex-energy minister says party can't afford to follow him 'lemming like' to defeat

"Ed Miliband should consider resigning for the sake of the Labour Party, a senior Blairite warned yesterday.

Former energy minister Brian Wilson said the Labour leader had a duty to 'look in the mirror and honestly answer the question: 'Will the electorate ever assent to me being Prime Minister?'

Mr Wilson, who held a number of senior roles under Tony Blair, said opinion poll findings on Mr Miliband's personal popularity were 'somewhere between dire and disappointing'."

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Scott_P said:

During a speech on welfare a few months ago, Ed Miliband repeatedly referred to Labour as the "party of work". "The clue is in the name", Miliband told the cameras, hoping, presumably, that voters would see Labour as the champions of working people, rather than idle ones.

The idea that Labour remains the party of the proletariat is partly the basis of Miliband’s so-called '35 per cent' strategy - the idea that a coalition of Labour’s core voters and disaffected Liberal Democrats can sweep Miliband to power in 2015 with just over a third of the vote (with no need to servilely seek the support of 'middle England'). Swathes of blue-collar working class voters, mainly in the north of England, will turn out to vote Labour in any election come what may, so the logic goes. It is the Labour Party, after all, and the "clue is in the name" - it is the party of labour, the working classes.

The problem is that increasingly it isn’t.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/08/working-class-voters-and-progressive-left-widening-chasmJust watched Mr Farage's speech from UKIP's SE conference this June. They're already recruiting candidates for the 2014 local elections!

http://youtu.be/ZJdyEB7aUQo?t=36m20s
  • Options
    I think his point is not that an employer should sack a pregnant employee, but rather discriminate against young women in the first place. Both are illegal under current employment law.

Personally, I do not do either when appointing within the NHS, but I am not paying their wages myself.

The real cost is finding cover while keeping a job open indefinitely. How can a small enterprise find someone for 6 or 12 months who is half as good as an experienced employee?

I'm getting confused now. It's hard to replace some-one on maternity leave but easy to replace some-one if you sacked them for being pregnant?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Having been a "boss" for over 30 years I would never again offer a job to a woman under 35. Even when they're not pregnant they're usually drunk, depressed or in love - all conditions inimical to a productive 35-hour week.

Wow. Just wow. The opinions people will openly admit to having (even if anonymously on the internet).
  • Options

They're already recruiting candidates for the 2014 local elections!

Well, yes, ideally target candidates should already be in place.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    edited August 2013
    SeanT said:

Has anyone else been to south east Sicily? I'm here doing a Times travel piece. And it's weird. Mafia cement works frowning at hidden baroque cities. A strange maudlin silence reigning over ruined villages. An air of almost post apocalyptic loneliness edged with intense antique beauty,

Mind you, I've only been here an hour.

No, but your readers may have travelled there vicariously in Inspector Montalbano:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Montalbano_(TV_series)

http://tinyurl.com/mzcp8yz
  • Options
    Neil said:

Having been a "boss" for over 30 years I would never again offer a job to a woman under 35. Even when they're not pregnant they're usually drunk, depressed or in love - all conditions inimical to a productive 35-hour week.

Wow. Just wow. The opinions people will openly admit to having (even if anonymously on the internet).
    I think Mr. Pinfold wants to be arrested.

Best ignore.

• Options
    FPT as I have been out teaching this evening.

You haven't responded to either of the points I made, I never said Greenwald had done anything to threaten security with his journalism (he hasn't, as far as I know), and I haven't excused, or condemned, the behaviour of the security services.

The difference between me and you is that you have jumped to conclusions because your irrational prejudice against Cameron infects your judgement, whereas I am sensible enough to realise that, since I don't have the faintest clue what the security services were looking for or why, I can't have an informed opinion on whether they were right to detain Miranda for a few hours.

Utterly wrong yet again Richard. At no point in any posting on this subject have I mentioned Cameron, nor any other member of the government. Nor have I implied that they are directly responsible for any of this.

All I have argued is that the government and its representatives are completely wrong to have done what they have done or to have allowed it to be done. I will go further now and say that May is the one member of the government who has behaved in a despicable manner by blindly supporting the security services when she was happily condemning Labour for these same laws before 2010.

And it doesn't matter if it was Miranda or anyone else. No one should have their right to silence removed, no one should be held without recourse to a lawyer and no one should be able to hold people without reasonable cause. It doesn't matter that it was Labour who introduced these laws (though I was one of the first on here to point that out) what matters is that the Government now have not repealed them and are trying to defend them when they are being misused.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Neil said:

Perhaps Gilbert is still aboard the SS Caliban (and not much up to a productive 35 hour week himself).

'Gilbert Pinfold is a middle-aged Catholic novelist teetering on the brink of a nervous breakdown. In an attempt to cure his nerves he doses himself liberally with bromide, chloral and crème de menthe. He books a passage on the SS Caliban, assuming it will be a nice break; however his crisis deepens and he slips into madness.'
  • Options
    The march of the makers gathers pace.

British manufacturers saw their order books grow by the most since August 2011 in the last month, according to the Confederation of British Industry's [CBI] survey results released this morning.

The net percentage of firms reporting total order books above normal is now at zero, versus -12% in July and expectations for a reading of -8%.

That came on the back of a significant rise in production levels, with the related gauge improving to 16% versus the 18% forecast by companies back in May. Firms believe output will increase at an even faster pace in the next three months (25%), which compares favourably against the long-run average (6%), the CBI adds.

The survey’s results also revealed that output prices over the next three months are expected to be flat (0%), the lowest since July 2012 (-3%), while levels of stocks of finished goods (15%) were broadly in line with their long-run average (14%).
    [digitallook.com]
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    OT This is rather fun - NBC advert for Premier League taking the mick out of themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6KeG_i8CWE8
  • Options
    tim said:

Floater said:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/dont_blame_mr_ed_for_labours_failings/13939#.UhUjbEby35S

Amusing, unless you are a Labour spinner.

"Far be it from me to leap to Miliband’s defence. He is indeed a hopeless excuse for a political leader, with no vision or charisma or connection to the public, as reflected in his dire poll ratings among Labour’s own voters."

Big fan of the Revolutioanry Communist Party and the reason they had to start Spiked are you?
    Or not aware.
    I am a big fan of Spiked and am fully aware of its foundation and the history of some of its main contributors.

As I remember from our last exchange about this on here, you were somewhat less than accurate in your description of the circumstances and results of the court case.
  • Options

I am not agreeing with Mr Pinfold's approach but I suppose his position is it is easier and more cost effective in the long run to recruit someone for a permanent post than it is for a 9 month temporary post. If the job involves any sort of extended pre-job training than you could find yourself spending half the maternity leave training up the temp only to see them gone once the new mother returned.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Tim Worstall is one of my favourites - this gets right to the point and so blindingly true

"It's a general failure of attempts to use politics to do things rather than markets. Just for the avoidance of doubt here I should point out that some things really do need to be done by politics. But the problem with doing so is that there is no kill switch.

It takes great effort to get government to do anything. And that great effort comes from the intertia of the system: meaning that it takes great effort to get something started and an equal amount of effort to get something stopped. This is in contrast to the market where yes, it takes great effort to get something working. But the system does contain that kill switch: bankruptcy. If something's not working then it doesn't take great effort to stop it. It just runs out of money and stops.

And that, I am afraid, is one of the reasons why politics is a bad way to get things done. Simply because they won't stop doing things even when it's obvious that they are the wrong things to be doing." http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/politics-government/but-this-is-the-basic-problem-with-government-doing-things
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Syria: Timing is everything.

From an Assad regime view, the alleged chemical weapons attack this morning makes no political sense. Militarily effective if casualty figures & likely exodus from the area are confirmed but politically odd. Both sides have played with small scale chemical warfare to strike both local fear & test international passivity, but this looks big.

Assad's forces run of success in late spring/early summer have come to a halt. They have undoubtedly got a better grip on strategic territory in the centre & had some decent results in the Golan but the war on the ground has reverted to grinding attrition, both sides making advances & having setbacks. Aleppo still hangs in the balance in an incredibly tight battle and a slight recent tilt to the rebels.

Assad is not yet dead, so why this attack now? If the allegations are verified, was it luck that the attack was as successful as it was? Miscalculation? The jury is still out. Perhaps something else made for such a ground clearance.

In Jordan the US appears to have let some of its chosen insurgents across the border. What 18 months ago was a US presence for observation & training is now a much more fortified command/control presence with an HQ that could take a heavy missile attack.

Jordanian & US contractor trained insurgents have been sent in before but this time it looks as if they have had substantial training and are being fully directed by the US & Jordanians. Expanded company formations have appeared, funded by the generous Saudis. Their effect in the Syria-Israel Golan border area has anecdotally been dramatic in what already was a waem zone, but no firm verification as yet. Perhaps significantly a number of Druze, strong in the area are amongst those forces. Other insurgents are still in Jordan. The established plan is to seize a zone in the South & establish a bridgehead leading to Damascus. A few thousand good, equipped fighters teaming up with local insurgents can tilt a provincial balance.

What next for the US? Signs of an increased activity, yes, but the US has hokey cokeyed before and a recent grey market request for 10s of thousands of Kalashnikov magazines by US sources might be co-incidental. There are stories that Team Obama is, again, coming to a decision point on what to do. Everything is in place if they want to press a button. If.

Today's incident in Damascus may just provide a useful cover, or push something that can't be avoided.

• Options
    Neil said:

It'll be interesting to see how the Greens do in Reading in 2014. They seem to be getting stronger year on year.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    The Standard has been pretty consistently pro-Government lately, so this may be an attempt to restore some balance:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-ed-miliband-is-better-than-his-critics-think-8778167.html
  • Options

Neil said:

It'll be interesting to see how the Greens do in Reading in 2014. They seem to be getting stronger year on year.

I cant see any obvious targets for them now that they have all the seats in Park ward. I think holding there will be the priority, there isnt another particularly obvious target ward for them to aim for now though in time that can be worked on if membership grows.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

I cant see any obvious targets for them now that they have all the seats in Park ward. I think holding there will be the priority, there isnt another particularly obvious target ward for them to aim for now though in time that can be worked on if membership grows.
    Isn't the target to displace the LDs in Reading?

• Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

The Lib Dems were only able to win one ward in Reading last time out as well.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Yes, but they used to win three.
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

So the target of beating the Lib Dems in Reading has been achieved (more votes than them last time!). But that's just a bit of fun. The real target should be to maximise representation there which means consolidating the ward won and building up another.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited August 2013
    @Neil - Never, ever, forget your overiding and pre-eminent loyalty to Rik Willis. Oh dear...sad, sad ghastly memories of the consequences of posting while pissed!
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

So the target of beating the Lib Dems in Reading has been achieved (more votes than them last time!). But that's just a bit of fun. The real target should be to maximise representation there which means consolidating the ward won and building up another.
    Fair enough. It's just there seems to be a negative correlation between the Greens and the LDs, so I'd assumed your goal would be to kill them off.

• Options
    @JohnO

Wing Commander Rik wasnt the only person to ever post here while drunk. Possibly suffered the worst consequences of anyone but certainly not alone in doing it!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

@JohnO

Wing Commander Rik wasnt the only person to ever post here while drunk. Possibly suffered the worst consequences of anyone but certainly not alone in doing it!

Indeedy...and wasn't it some scumbag LibDem who leaked it from pbc to the wider media?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited August 2013
    @neil

I'm trying to remember the name of the poster who was drunk one night and gave me a barrage of abuse all night long, after I had posted I had backed Ireland to beat Australia in the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
  • Options
    On topic, I'm on at 12/1.

The one to avoid is the UKIP one.

If there are enough UKIP MPs to partake in a coalition then the Tories will have had a disastrous night and we're into Labour landslide territory
  • Options
    Well, I've got a few bob on England winning at The Oval at about 8/1.

Just have to hope for a clatter of quick wickets tomorrow morning, and then England to score 600.
  • Options
    @JohnO

I'm thinking of the infamous DanF but I may have that wrong. Now there was a Lib Dem to make ColinW's Mum proud ;)

@TSE

You got everything you deserved. I got a hangover.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@JohnO

I'm thinking of the infamous DanF but I may have that wrong. Now there was a Lib Dem to make ColinW's Mum proud ;)

@TSE

You got everything you deserved. I got a hangover.

But we both made money on that match.

• Options
    @TSE

And much more importantly Ireland won!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

A better option would be for the state rather than the employer to be responsible for paying maternity pay.

An even better option would be the person getting pregnant supporting themselves - having made that lifestyle choice - and keeping taxpayers out of the equation entirely.

• Options
    @TSE

Tbf I think the Lib Dems have had their fill of Dan over the years too. I once heard a speaker from the Richmond Lib Dems describe his party wearily as "yes, the local party that gave you all Dan Falchikov".
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

An even better option would be the person getting pregnant supporting themselves - having made that lifestyle choice - and keeping taxpayers out of the equation entirely.

Can you not see some fairly obvious long-term problems that approach would store up?
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

Tbf I think the Lib Dems have had their fill of Dan over the years too. I once heard a speaker from the Richmond Lib Dems describe his party wearily as "yes, the local party that gave you all Dan Falchikov".

You have to wonder what Barnet conservatives say about Brian Coleman

• Options
    *** Bale saga ***

Tonight's reports that Arsenal will help fund RM buying Bale by taking Benzema to the Emirates for £40m risks being another Spurs last-minute let down...

Goners get a top striker and help fund the removal from WHL of the best player there in my lifetime.... how RM would fund the Bale buy was a key issue, now Arsenal might help them to!!!

Never underestimate the ways a Spurs fan can feel let down!
  • Options

Neil said:

@TSE

They're probably boasting about having finally chucked him out! Though they did keep on reselecting him :s
  • Options

Neil said:

He's not the only person who subscribes to that opinion.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

@TSE

They're probably boasting about having finally chucked him out! Though they did keep on reselecting him :s
    Perhaps he kept on providing them with Arsenal tickets via his special friend and that's why they kept on reselecting him.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Neil said:

He's not the only person who subscribes to that opinion.
    I'm sure there are one or two others but as most people are either women or have women in their lives that they love I dont think such outrageous sexism is all that common.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Can you not see some fairly obvious long-term problems that approach would store up?

Oh yes indeed - fostering personal responsibility.
    The Left traditionally see that as a Bad Thing as it breaks the dependency culture.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Neil said:

Oh yes indeed - fostering personal responsibility.
    The Left traditionally see that as a Bad Thing as it breaks the dependency culture.

I'm more thinking of coping with the rapidly ageing population profile your approach would give us. It wouldnt be easy. We could always opt for wholesale immigration I suppose.
  • Options
    Neil said:

I'm sure there are one or two others but as most people are either women or have women in their lives that they love I dont think such outrageous sexism is all that common.

I would suspect that bosses of both genders would be capable of making that judgement call as a business decision and then going home to a loving spouse. The two can be kept separate, you know. Stalin presumably loved Rachel.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Neil said:

I would suspect that bosses of both genders would be capable of making that judgement call as a business decision and then going home to a loving spouse. The two can be kept separate, you know. Stalin presumably loved Rachel.

Any boss who ran his or her business on the basis that women under 35 are generally incapable of doing a productive week's work is unlikely to be the kind of boss that kept their business afloat for very long. They'd be really, really, really thick.
  • Options
    @Neil Fine, that's a view. I disagree. Neither of us are going to change our minds. Cheers. Endex.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    @GeoffM you're going to need all those under 35 women on the front line when it all kicks off with spain :)
  • Options
    @dugarbandier

They'd probably be good for an hour or so a day in between being drunk, depressed or in love.

Have you been following the latest on our friend Pat McQuaid? A day after he described reports of his Swiss nomination being withdrawn as bullsh*t he discovered that his Swiss nomination was withdrawn. Now Pat has learnt at the feet of some of the cutest hoors Ireland ever produced but even he must realise his number is up now?
  • Options
    @dugarbandier Very true! When the Spanish invade, though, hopefully both sexes will refrain from the constant drinkin' and the shaggin' and the gettin'uptheduff for just long enough to fire back.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Neil said:

@dugarbandier

Have you been following the latest on our friend Pat McQuaid? A day after he described reports of his Swiss nomination being withdrawn as bullsh*t he discovered that his Swiss nomination was withdrawn. Now Pat has learnt at the feet of some of the cutest hoors Ireland ever produced but even he must realise his number is up now?

he won't go quietly tho will he? All the way to the end. Besides, he has some of the finest lawyers of hisnative morocco on his side...
  • Options
    At the YouGov casino, the numbers are:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 21st August - Con 34%, Lab 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%; APP -25

• Options
    YouGov

As the poll swings towards the Cons, so do the internals.

Thinking about the way the government is
    cutting spending to reduce the government's
    deficit, do you think this is...
    Good or bad for the economy?
    Good:40(0)
    Bad: 42(-6)

Being done fairly or unfairly?
    Fairly: 29(0)
    Unfairly: 56(-3)

Necessary or unnecessary?
    Necessary:56(0)
    Unnecessary:29(-2)

Too deep, too shallow or at about the right
    level?
    Too deep: 28(-3)
    Too shallow: 13(0)
    Right:29(0)

Being done too quickly, too slowly, or at about
    the right pace?
    Too quick:43(-2)
    Too slow:13(0)
    Right:29(0)

Having an impact on your own life, or not having
    an impact on your own life?
    Having: 57(-4)
    Not having:30(+1)

And who do you think is most to blame for the
    current spending cuts?
    The Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition:25(0)
    Last Labour Gov.: 36(+1)
    Both: 26(-3)

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    As Financier observes, the VI and internals tend to swing together - I'm wary of polls that show anyone doing either well or badly in both unless there's an obvious explanation, like major good or bad news. I've said the same when there was a puzzling sudden deterioriation in the Government's ratings.
This discussion has been closed.