Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could the CON leadership hopes of David Davis once again be th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could the CON leadership hopes of David Davis once again be thwarted by an old Etonian?

Chart: BetData

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2017
    FPT;
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

People have been raving about Ruth Davidson's essay this morning.

For those who have not seen it yet

https://unherd.com/2017/07/ctrl-alt-del-conservatives-must-reboot-capitalism/

Oh she's good. I am still nervous about the situation in Scotland but getting her to Westminster should be a priority.
    It's really well-written and she has some good ideas.

But if I'd read that and not looked at the author name - I would never have guessed it came from a Conservative politician - and indeed much of it is a critique of what the Conservatives currently are.
    And none the worse for that. She recognises and is comfortable with regulation to protect the weak from market exploitation and she is far more upfront about it than most politicians of any stripe. She recognises that there are major issues of inequality and generational fairness and that governments need to grapple with these too. She is unashamedly capitalist but recognises the necessary limitations if a capitalist society is to deliver for all. And she does not pretend that there are simplistic solutions.

It is a form of Conservatism I personally would be extremely comfortable with. It is so superior to May's "vision" harping back to grammar schools and fox hunting that it is indeed surprising it is from the same party.
    Honestly I think what's she's written is a lot closer to Labour/Lib Dems than the Tories.
    She is impressive though - so she might be able to move the party as a whole one day.
    One day.

The party - and membership - is way to the right of her. They can't see beyond their buy to let portfolios;

"It is time to review Osborne’s tax changes on buy-to-let landlords"

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2017/07/iain-duncan-smith-the-housing-crisis-demands-a-revolutionary-new-approach.html

^ That kind of logic makes sense in mainstream tory world.

This discussion has been closed.