Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON members’ polling with Davis ahead, plots to get TMay to qu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON members’ polling with Davis ahead, plots to get TMay to quit, and how the Great Repeal Bill could be scuppered

Exclusive: Tory grassroots figures call for Theresa May to consider quitting by Christmas https://t.co/2myHSMcoHT

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited July 2017
    First... and the question is: will Labour co-operate with the Lib Dems? They haven`t for the last twenty years.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2017
    Interesting survey by ESRC/Yougov

I wonder if they asked members for 2nd preferences or *are there any candidates you really couldn't vote for in a 2 way contest* type questions?

It can be difficult to judge how marmite certain MPs are among the grassroots. Figuring that out is probably the route to making money on the next con leader market.

Pong needs tables.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Apropro of nothing Just listened to a very entertaining Laura K from Brussels.......

It's not always easy to feel sorry for Mrs May but when you think that until last month the naughtiest thing she'd ever done was running through a cornfield naked and then 50 years later she went a tiny bit naughtier and had her first bet- albeit on an absolute certainty-and lost you start to wonder whether there's someone up there holding her to a higher standard than the rest of us.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    A very tired Laura K talking from Brussels. Very entertaining. Turn to 3hrs 41mins exactly which is where she starts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08yn9vx#play
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

Apropro of nothing Just listened to a very entertaining Laura K from Brussels.......

It's not always easy to feel sorry for Mrs May but when you think that until last month the naughtiest thing she'd ever done was running through a cornfield naked and then 50 years later she went a tiny bit naughtier and had her first bet- albeit on an absolute certainty-and lost you start to wonder whether there's someone up there holding her to a higher standard than the rest of us.

I don't think she was naked Roger, I think that's your fertile imagination....
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171

Roger said:

I don't think she was naked Roger, I think that's your fertile imagination....
    More febrile.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Roger said:

A very tired Laura K talking from Brussels. Very entertaining. Turn to 3hrs 41mins exactly which is where she starts.

Sounds like she’s got a bit of time off coming! Thought provoking about October, though!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Roger said:

Sounds like she’s got a bit of time off coming! Thought provoking about October, though!
    Brexit negotiations hamstrung by a lack of direction from Number 10 -- "the hole in the doughnut".

October sees the Conservative Party conference, of course, as well as Barnier's assessment of Brexit.

For leadership betting, what are the parallels with Mrs Thatcher's downfall? From very vague memory, Mrs Thatcher came out of conference looking strong but John Major was prime minister by the end of November.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

It'd be odd if both contenders in the 2005 Conservative leadership contest ended up getting the job.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Roger said:

Brexit negotiations hamstrung by a lack of direction from Number 10 -- "the hole in the doughnut".

October sees the Conservative Party conference, of course, as well as Barnier's assessment of Brexit.

For leadership betting, what are the parallels with Mrs Thatcher's downfall? From very vague memory, Mrs Thatcher came out of conference looking strong but John Major was prime minister by the end of November.
    IDS got a prolonged ovation and was gone in six weeks.
  • Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48

I cannot see Theresa May still being PM by the end of this year. It was difficult enough with a small Tory majority. Now relying on DUP support, during a difficult period in Northern Ireland and all of the challenges at Westminster, will just make it impossible.

In the Autumn, TM will face difficulty with lack of any real progress with Brexit, Westminster possibly taking direct control for N.Ireland, a Budget that will fail to satisfy very many and a Government regularly losing votes in Parliament.

Not convinced that David Davis will be able to unite the Tories, as he will probably still have spreadsheet Phil as Chancellor. Given challenges ahead with people wanting more spending, the economy slowing and not much room for extra borrowing, then i would think the Tories really need new faces at the top. Why not look to the backbenches for fresh talent, rather than a tired looking cabinet, who are going to look older as each day passes ?

For a laugh, here is a video that explains Brexit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarieAnnUK/status/889003470128381954/video/1
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Totally O/t, but I find the Boots/morning after pill story one of deja vue.
    In my youth Boots did not sell condoms; the late Lady Trent, wife of Lord Trent, son of the founder did not ‘approve’. It was not until some time after her death that the company started to sell condoms.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2017
    Richard_H said:

I cannot see Theresa May still being PM by the end of this year. It was difficult enough with a small Tory majority. Now relying on DUP support, during a difficult period in Northern Ireland and all of the challenges at Westminster, will just make it impossible.

In the Autumn, TM will face difficulty with lack of any real progress with Brexit, Westminster possibly taking direct control for N.Ireland, a Budget that will fail to satisfy very many and a Government regularly losing votes in Parliament.

Not convinced that David Davis will be able to unite the Tories, as he will probably still have spreadsheet Phil as Chancellor. Given challenges ahead with people wanting more spending, the economy slowing and not much room for extra borrowing, then i would think the Tories really need new faces at the top. Why not look to the backbenches for fresh talent, rather than a tired looking cabinet, who are going to look older as each day passes ?

You describe a chicken and egg situation. A 'new face' is not going to be suddenly catapulted from obscurity into No. 10. What is needed is for the party to identify possible new candidates and then for there to be an extensive reshuffle to bring these people into prominent positions. I cannot see how toppling TM will achieve anything other than the installing of a rather tired retread.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    We appear to be faced with the prospect of the Government collapsing during the Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Richard_H said:

You describe a chicken and egg situation. A 'new face' is not going to be suddenly catapulted from obscurity into No. 10. What is needed is for the party to identify possible new candidates and then for there to be an extensive reshuffle to bring these people into prominent positions. I cannot see how toppling TM will achieve anything other than the installing of a rather tired retread.
    Catch 22 perhaps? Theresa May is too weak to reshuffle the Cabinet -- and forget about the 1922 Committee's support because any minister with more than a dozen followers is too powerful. But -- and this is where the Catch 22 part lies -- because she is so weak, Theresa May benefits from this paralysis: none of the obvious leadership rivals is very attractive, and she can only weaken her grip on power by promoting new, fresh-faced rivals. As you say, there is no point toppling the PM merely to install "a rather tired retread".
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    The week after Tory conference appears to be building up to be critical. A lot hangs on her speech this year.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    I still agree with Nick's analysis of this the other day. TM is in an extremely invidious position but I really don't see how this government moves from the present status quo to a new one. The minority status of the Tories and the modest level of support that the DUP can provide means that there is no room for manoeuvre- no one can be discarded or ignored. This is a far weaker arrangement than the Lib Dems were able to provide in the coalition.

I think what we will continue to see is a cabinet working closely together with a nominal PM who ultimately can make few, if any, decisions on her own. There may come a point where she is not willing to live with that but I think her sense of duty will result in this impasse going on for some time. It is also possible that if those in the cabinet start manoeuvring so that teamwork becomes impossible then the government simply falls. Davis, for one, is stupid enough to cause this.
  • Options
    Rawnsley this morning making similar points on Brexit to LK in the radio piece linked below:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/23/we-cannot-prepare-to-leave-europe-until-we-know-where-we-are-going

"If the past few months have served any purpose, it has been to educate members of the government in the perilous complexities of this enterprise. The insouciance with which the Outers sold Brexit is beginning to give way to a belated recognition of the scale of the enterprise and the calamitous consequences of botching it."

"The greatest terror for the Tories is what could happen to the economy – and with it their future as a party – if Britain ends up in the kamikaze scenario of tumbling out of the EU without any agreement about the future relationship...The slow learners in the cabinet have finally grasped that Britain will require a smoothed departure if there is to be any hope of avoiding a shock Brexit...but this resolves one argument only to ignite several others. How long should Britain sit in the departure lounge?"

"Let us suppose that the outlines of the divorce settlement can be agreed and in a way that doesn’t collapse this fragile and fissile government. Then the EU27 would be willing to talk about a transitional arrangement. With this caveat. The EU can only negotiate a transition if Britain is clear about where it wants to end up."
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Any hopes of "brass plate" solutions to Brexit are not going wash with firms having to meet EU and local substance requirements i.e. lots of senior bodies on the ground :

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/eu-regulator-sets-out-rules-on-brexit-relocations-20170713
  • Options
    calum said:

Any hopes of "brass plate" solutions to Brexit are not going wash with firms having to meet EU and local substance requirements i.e. lots of senior bodies on the ground :

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/eu-regulator-sets-out-rules-on-brexit-relocations-20170713

The London housing market has surely peaked.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    IanB2 said:

calum said:

Yes, I predicted a crash on here recently. Crash might be too strong but nothing goes upwards forever
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited July 2017
    IanB2 said:

The EU can only negotiate a transition if Britain is clear about where it wants to end up."

I wonder if this is true. Assume for the sake of argument that the British are still faffing around cluelessly 6 months from now, isn't a transitional arrangement pending who-knows-what the easiest way for everyone to get through it? The transitional arrangement would be exactly the same as the status quo, except that Britain wouldn't have a vote on anything. That would be scheduled to last 2 years, then replaced with a permanent, properly brexitty agreement when the British got their shit together, which they were totally going to do, really soon, definitely not much longer. In the event that the British failed to come through with this, they'd simply keep extending for another 2 years.

I know the EU side are generally saying they want to get the whole thing over with but I don't really see them disagreeing to this.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

Rawnsley this morning making similar points on Brexit to LK in the radio piece linked below:

The slow learners in the cabinet have finally grasped that Britain will require a smoothed departure if there is to be any hope of avoiding a shock Brexit...but this resolves one argument only to ignite several others. How long should Britain sit in the departure lounge?"

I wonder how long it will take the slow learners on PB to catch up...

The problem this poses for Kremlinologists is that it should also finally put to bed the nonsense that Tezza "can stay until Brexit is delivered" (which will take many, many years), and "Brexit will be done in 2019"
  • Options

Assume for the sake of argument that the British are still faffing around cluelessly 6 months from now, isn't a transitional arrangement pending who-knows-what the easiest way for everyone to get through it? The transitional arrangement would be exactly the same as the status quo, except that Britain wouldn't have a vote on anything.

At which point the argument becomes "are we not better off with a vote?"

Pretty much what was said during the referendum. It was Leavers who argued against exactly this...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited July 2017
    calum said:

"The British debate tends to neglect an important fact. There can be no transitional arrangement without the consent of the EU27. Michel Barnier, the point man for the commission at the Brexit talks, currently has no mandate from EU leaders to negotiate a transition. He would have to go back to them before he could engage on the subject. Many of the EU27 are sympathetic to the idea, as they are also astonished that Britain has been late to see the need for this, but their agreement would come with big qualifications attached.

The first obstacle is that the EU27 won’t even talk about the long-term relationship until “sufficient progress” has been made on the terms of the divorce. Two of the fiercest areas of contention are money and custody. After two trips by Mr Davis to Brussels last week, there is no agreement in sight on the future rights of EU citizens in the UK and Britons living in the EU27. A working paper released by the negotiators reveals outstanding and fundamental disagreements on 14 “red” issues. As for the bill for departure, the two sides have yet to agree on a methodology for negotiating that number, never mind getting down to wrangling out the maths."
  • Options
    So, Gove, Fox and possibly, Johnson [ whose opinion actually does not matter ] are now transitionists. What next ?

Have you noticed UKIP is gradually going up in the polls ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

So, Gove, Fox and possibly, Johnson [ whose opinion actually does not matter ] are now transitionists. What next ?

Last I saw it had rocketed to around 3%
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

The slow learners in the cabinet have finally grasped that Britain will require a smoothed departure if there is to be any hope of avoiding a shock Brexit...but this resolves one argument only to ignite several others. How long should Britain sit in the departure lounge?"

The problem this poses for Kremlinologists is that it should also finally put to bed the nonsense that Tezza "can stay until Brexit is delivered" (which will take many, many years), and "Brexit will be done in 2019"
    Tezza will be gone by November.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

calum said:

Yes, I predicted a crash on here recently. Crash might be too strong but nothing goes upwards forever
    It is already "rebalancing".
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Scott_P said:

Assume for the sake of argument that the British are still faffing around cluelessly 6 months from now, isn't a transitional arrangement pending who-knows-what the easiest way for everyone to get through it? The transitional arrangement would be exactly the same as the status quo, except that Britain wouldn't have a vote on anything.

Pretty much what was said during the referendum. It was Leavers who argued against exactly this...
    A new vote sounds sensible to you and me, but getting there has different institutional hurdles, the biggest one being getting it past the Conservative parliamentary party without being strung upside-down from a lamp-post.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

IanB2 said:

calum said:

Yeah it has to, London is completely different to rest of the UK but the market always finds its price.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Speaking metaphorically,TMay increasingly reminds me of Terry Downes,the English boxer,who kept on fighting despite some awful punishment.Interview after interview,his speech was more slurred,his nose more in direct line with his noise,awful cuts,swelling and bruises around the eyes, and his concentration was so bad,he needed 3 goes to remember what his name was.I reckon May will fight on,I think,til next year,but ,like Terry Downes,she won't be a pretty sight.You can only dodge and weave for so long before the final big punch lands and she is no Muhammed Ali.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The EU can only negotiate a transition if Britain is clear about where it wants to end up."

I wonder if this is true. Assume for the sake of argument that the British are still faffing around cluelessly 6 months from now, isn't a transitional arrangement pending who-knows-what the easiest way for everyone to get through it? The transitional arrangement would be exactly the same as the status quo, except that Britain wouldn't have a vote on anything. That would be scheduled to last 2 years, then replaced with a permanent, properly brexitty agreement when the British got their shit together, which they were totally going to do, really soon, definitely not much longer. In the event that the British failed to come through with this, they'd simply keep extending for another 2 years.

I know the EU side are generally saying they want to get the whole thing over with but I don't really see them disagreeing to this.
    I wondered about that bit myself, as my instinct was that a half way house ought to be negotiable before all the final detail is sorted out.

It also provides the possibility at least to repent at leisure.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004

Scott_P said:

A new vote sounds sensible to you and me, but getting there has different institutional hurdles, the biggest one being getting it past the Conservative parliamentary party without being strung upside-down from a lamp-post.
    1. JC becomes PM before Brexit concludes. Seems more likely than not.
    2. He collapses the parallel universes of his Brexit policies into a singularity by resetting the negotiation then returning from Brussels and saying the EU will let us stay but he will be allowed to nationalise WHSmith,etc..
    3. He handily wins the resultant "Jezerendum" and the UK stays in the EU but you have to fill in a form and wait 6 months to buy a copy of The Ice Twins at Heathrow T5.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

Roger said:

All those big boys not able to do anything unless St Theresa gives them word by word instructions. We really do have our top team in action.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

Like you, Surbiton, I am of the gone-by-November persuasion. (I'm actually part of pre-Conference sub-group, but let's not quibble).

I'll be standing next to you to be counted when we're proved right or wrong.
  • Options

We appear to be faced with the prospect of the Government collapsing during the Brexit negotiations.

OKC, it collapsed at the election and has been missing ever since. Rudderless ship.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    surbiton said:

Latest UKIP poll figures

Ipsos Mori 3% minus 1
    Yougov 2% minus 2
    ICM 3% N/C

So No
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I have said from the start we will just have status quo , except no vote and just have to follow what EU order and we will pay more for it.
  • Options

surbiton said:

The only poll that matters is by Survation. Fieldwork 14-15 July. UKIP 6%. 3% of it from the Tories.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

The only poll that matters is by Survation. Fieldwork 14-15 July. UKIP 6%. 3% of it from the Tories.
    ? Labour was down 4, the LibDems up 1 to 8%, and the Tories unchanged ?
  • Options

surbiton said:

IanB2 said:

calum said:

Yeah it has to, London is completely different to rest of the UK but the market always finds its price.
    Bubbles always burst !
  • Options

And that's a problem.

Even if the slow learners in the cabinet are on board, the headbangers on the backbenches are not

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/888719799508811776
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Do you think this is a good thing?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

Like you, Surbiton, I am of the gone-by-November persuasion. (I'm actually part of pre-Conference sub-group, but let's not quibble).

I'll be standing next to you to be counted when we're proved right or wrong.
    For the Tory party as a whole, changing this year makes little sense (even the talk is unhelpful), which is why the members and many backbenchers are so irritated.

The problem is that time is running out for both Davis and Johnson to finish their careers by fulfilling their ambition, both because of their age and growing desire for a generational handover, and because they are both tied to Brexit which will slowly sink their chances. For neither of them is becoming PM in such circumstances otherwise likely to end well.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Morning sexy people.

Is most of this stuff made up by the newspapers? I thought all our lovely MP's were on holiday now?

• Options
    A week ago Fox was asked about the transitional period and said something along the lines of months not years. Very obvious that he now doesn't want to answer the question and is starting to hint at a two year period and the length being unimportant #Marr
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    IanB2 said:

A week ago Fox was asked about the transitional period and said something along the lines of months not years. Very obvious that he now doesn't want to answer the question and is starting to hint at a two year period and the length being unimportant #Marr

I think it'll be two years transition with a leaver taking over from Tessa in 2019 to ensure there's no back-sliding in 2021.
  • Options
    The greater authority that Corbyn is able to project in interview since the GE is remarkable.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    edited July 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:

2. He collapses the parallel universes of his Brexit policies into a singularity by resetting the negotiation then returning from Brussels and saying the EU will let us stay but he will be allowed to nationalise WHSmith,etc..
    3. He handily wins the resultant "Jezerendum" and the UK stays in the EU but you have to fill in a form and wait 6 months to buy a copy of The Ice Twins at Heathrow T5.
    +1 for coming up with Jezerendum™
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    calum said:

This is only to be expected. Banks are normally expected to keep sufficient capital in each of their subsidiaries (which is why HSBC needs so much capital to operate). The EU allowed much greater fungibility between countries: if you had excess capital in your German subsidiary, you were allowed to run with less capital in your Italian one.

That's unlikely to be allowed by either us or the EU in future: we won't allow an Italian bank to operate in the UK with insufficient capital because it has capital in Rome; they won't allow a British bank to operate in the EU with all its capital in London.
  • Options
    EU turning the regulatory screw !

" Concerns are mounting that funds domiciled in Ireland and Luxembourg could be restricted in their ability to delegate key investment decisions to staff based outside the EU following guidance issued by Europe’s main markets watchdog "

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/esmas-brexit-guidance-sparks-fund-delegation-fears-20170714
  • Options
    Seems to me that this BBC pay issue is going to end with many more 'stars' working Dimbleby-style under dodgy company contractual deals, which will do nothing for transparency or the gender gap. Corbyn was effectively pushing them in that direction just now.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    surbiton said:

I think UKIP members have gone back to their cardigans, DIY and dogging.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, indeed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Seems to me that this BBC pay issue is going to end with many more 'stars' working Dimbleby-style under dodgy company contractual deals, which will do nothing for transparency or the gender gap. Corbyn was effectively pushing them in that direction just now.

Probably, although now you mention it, the BBC and government were pushing them that way years ago. The issue also opens up wider questions, like how come no-one in HR spotted the gender gap -- what are they there for? More interesting is the question of what people are paid for -- to what extent is Fred paid the standard rate for reading a script and how much extra is because Fred has charisma or authority or is a star?

We were reassured that the new Dr Who would get the same money as the outgoing Dr Who but Capaldi has a shelf full of awards including an Oscar: should that not count for something (maybe not if not for acting) or is the money just for learning and delivering an hour's worth of script?

And when did gender replace sex? Where is Jacob Rees-Mogg when you need him?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    England win toss and decide to bat against India at Lords:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/40035680
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Left wing newspapers and commentators trying to stir up trouble for a Conservative Prime Minister with stories of plots against her.

Is the Pope Catholic?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Morning sexy people.

Is most of this stuff made up by the newspapers? I thought all our lovely MP's were on holiday now?

Morning Gin, they are permanently on holiday, Westminster is like an all inclusive holiday club. They spend their time troughing at public expense, only busy places are the subsidised bars and restaurants. Best they have to do is run now and again when the bell goes to vote , and a few poor sods ( a very few ) get short straw to go to debates.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    New Conservative MP, Kemi Badenoch, quotes Woody Allen in her maiden speech.

Politics is like sex "If it's not messy you are not doing it right."

Impressive.

See Guido's extract.

Edit. Perhaps it should be Politics is like gender - works as well.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The greater authority that Corbyn is able to project in interview since the GE is remarkable.

He still sounds like the same tw** he was before the election
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    IanB2 said:

Probably.

But, also expect to see some highly paid people become even better paid, in the name of equality.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

surbiton said:

I don't have a cardigan so I assume I can't join?
  • Options
    edited July 2017

IanB2 said:

Transition is a misnomer. What's important to the UK right now is continuity. Transition is where you go from A to B in a planned way. Over the period you have gradually less A and more B. Continuity is where you hang onto as much of A as possible for as long as possible. That's what the Cabinet have agreed. They are kicking the can down the road. It doesn't mean they will never get to B, but they don't want to deal with it right now.

Would the EU agree? There are reasons why they might. They would appreciate having the UK on their side, however reluctantly. OTOH it means them doing the opposite of what they say they will do. They need to take a firmer line on membership benefits and obligations than they did with Norway and Switzerland, so that membership has a clear advantage over leaving. Probably they will give the can a kick as well
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

More disinterest than authority I thought.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    surbiton said:

calum said:

"The British debate tends to neglect an important fact. There can be no transitional arrangement without the consent of the EU27. Michel Barnier, the point man for the commission at the Brexit talks, currently has no mandate from EU leaders to negotiate a transition. He would have to go back to them before he could engage on the subject. Many of the EU27 are sympathetic to the idea, as they are also astonished that Britain has been late to see the need for this, but their agreement would come with big qualifications attached.

The first obstacle is that the EU27 won’t even talk about the long-term relationship until “sufficient progress” has been made on the terms of the divorce. Two of the fiercest areas of contention are money and custody. After two trips by Mr Davis to Brussels last week, there is no agreement in sight on the future rights of EU citizens in the UK and Britons living in the EU27. A working paper released by the negotiators reveals outstanding and fundamental disagreements on 14 “red” issues. As for the bill for departure, the two sides have yet to agree on a methodology for negotiating that number, never mind getting down to wrangling out the maths."
    Would be nice if someone started blaming their side as well as ours.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Cardigans, DIY and dogging.

A great title for a manifesto.
  • Options
    Mr. F, they should cut male salaries and use the savings to buy back F1 rights.
  • Options
    calum said:

EU turning the regulatory screw !

" Concerns are mounting that funds domiciled in Ireland and Luxembourg could be restricted in their ability to delegate key investment decisions to staff based outside the EU following guidance issued by Europe’s main markets watchdog "

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/esmas-brexit-guidance-sparks-fund-delegation-fears-20170714

Anti tax avoidance steps will put a stop to asset managers wanting to be based in Luxembourg and Ireland.
  • Options

It's a nice idea, but hell will freeze over first.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I have said from the start we will just have status quo , except no vote and just have to follow what EU order and we will pay more for it.

Brexit is undeliverable as promised, which is what makes it interesting. They have to do something because there was a vote about it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think it'll be two years transition with a leaver taking over from Tessa in 2019 to ensure there's no back-sliding in 2021.

Chortle

You still think there will be prominent leavers in 2019...

Bless.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Brexit is undeliverable as promised, which is what makes it interesting. They have to do something because there was a vote about it.

If only someone had said that earlier.

Oh, wait...
  • Options

surbiton said:

calum said:

Would be nice if someone started blaming their side as well as ours.
    The entire UK Leave strategy is based on that: blame them. Why can't they support what we want ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

calum said:

Not until interest rates (long term and short term) start to rise significantly.
  • Options
    Mr. F, indeed.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

I particularly liked the bit where he mansplained that when he said he "would deal with" student debt, he didn't know how big it was, and once he found out he meant he wouldn't deal with it.

You can't buy that sort of authority.
  • Options
    We are still learning what Theresa May is like.

It could be that she is very resilient, has bounce back ability, and able to show she can inspire the nation next time round.

But she could also be a quitter.
  • Options

It could be that she is very resilient, has bounce back ability, and able to show she can inspire the nation next time round.

Both Jeremy Corbyn and Arlene Foster have shown that politicians who cling on like limpets can recover from bad results.

My biggest doubt about Theresa May is that I have no idea why she wants to be PM.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's a nice idea, but hell will freeze over first.
    The high salaries are mostly legacy issues from long standing and aging BBC employees. Just retire them off by not renewing their contracts. Better too for making the BBC more viewable/listenable for the younger generations.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

I don't have a cardigan so I assume I can't join?
    Two out of three is sufficient.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Both Jeremy Corbyn and Arlene Foster have shown that politicians who cling on like limpets can recover from bad results.

My biggest doubt about Theresa May is that I have no idea why she wants to be PM.
    Isn’t she a “Cameron”? Thought 'she’d be rather good at it’!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Her upbringing gave her a sense of duty.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Her upbringing gave her a sense of duty.
    Yes. Like the Captain of the Titanic.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    rcs1000 said:

calum said:

This is only to be expected. Banks are normally expected to keep sufficient capital in each of their subsidiaries (which is why HSBC needs so much capital to operate). The EU allowed much greater fungibility between countries: if you had excess capital in your German subsidiary, you were allowed to run with less capital in your Italian one.

That's unlikely to be allowed by either us or the EU in future: we won't allow an Italian bank to operate in the UK with insufficient capital because it has capital in Rome; they won't allow a British bank to operate in the EU with all its capital in London.

Having a subsidiary in each country market gives banks a better chance of building a competitive position in a country than just having a branch. People know branches are transitory not permanent. So any small cost of having some extra capital to have a subsidiary rather than a branch is offset by the extra competitiveness.

Better still to take over a local country brank with a local name to help become a major player. HSBC missed a trick when it took over Midland Bank and then dropped the brand name for HSBC.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Having just listened again to the entertaining (if you're not a Tory or a Brexiteer) piece by Laura K I thought I'd look up the Liz Truss cheese clip that she says is a favourite among Tory MPs when all about them is turning to dust........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXL7dzlEUYQ
  • Options
    F1: via Twitter, read that Wolff reckons so long as both drivers are in the title fight, Mercedes won't interfere.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Cripes, someone should him about the deficit. https://twitter.com/jackwdoyle/status/889045805239332864
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2017

Sean_F said:

Isn’t she a “Cameron”? Thought 'she’d be rather good at it’!
    Actually Cameron had a clear idea about what he thought pm was about. He saw it as being CEO of a big company that needed stabilising and trusted his management to get on with the job. Not exactly revolutionary vision but probably the best approach at that given time.

All reports of may is she is a control freak and does exactly the opposite.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2017
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Cripes, someone should him about the deficit. https://twitter.com/jackwdoyle/status/889045805239332864

Thick as pig shit....

BBC let him get away with lying...

Jeremy Corbyn: I never said we would write off student debt
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40696974
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Just seen this from This Week. I think 'utter bollocks' is applicable...

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/888004848095969280
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

surbiton said:

And a total of 15 votes in last weeks local elections.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    IanB2 said:

Sounds like the Cabinet have taken a collective decision that there will be a transition and Fox is stuck with collective responsibility.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:

+1 for coming up with Jezerendum™
    Agreed, I intend to use it freely off-site as if I invented it :smile:
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

? Labour was down 4, the LibDems up 1 to 8%, and the Tories unchanged ?
    Lol - over to you surby.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,724

They used to say the role of Astrologists was to give Economists a good name, though that is now much disputed....
  • Options

Looks about right to me.
    Every so often astrology is going to get it ‘sort of’ right, just as a 100-1 shot is going to come in occasionally.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

malcolmg said:

+1 Brexit in a nutshell!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Probably.

But, also expect to see some highly paid people become even better paid, in the name of equality.
    Indeed - and just as ordinary folk can see a much more sensible approach involving a 'levelling down approach.
This discussion has been closed.