Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In Tory leadership races the assassin rarely becomes the repla

13»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Funny how Bobajob hasn't tried to come back under a new name...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    calum said:
    I wonder when one of these stories will crystallise into an 'oh shit' moment for the Brexiteers.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,728

Shrewd move by Dr Fox - excellent expectations management. The dream of a glorious post-EU sunny upland has faded, so we're now being groomed to hunker down and accept our lot. It was never on the side of any bus, but I suspect this was the Leavers' motive all along - a kind of cleansing of the national psyche through suffering and hardship. We've been pampered enough.
    Brexit is being pushed through on barely majority support. Given the way it was sold at the referendum, some of that support is shallow. It is therefore important to make Brexit look inevitable. It may not be good, but it's going ahead.
  • Options

calum said:
    I wonder when one of these stories will crystallise into an 'oh shit' moment for the Brexiteers.
    Yes all those Leave voting northern pensioners must be fretting over investment bankers in London having to move to Frankfurt to keep their jobs.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Shrewd move by Dr Fox - excellent expectations management. The dream of a glorious post-EU sunny upland has faded, so we're now being groomed to hunker down and accept our lot. It was never on the side of any bus, but I suspect this was the Leavers' motive all along - a kind of cleansing of the national psyche through suffering and hardship. We've been pampered enough.
    Brexit is being pushed through on barely majority support. Given the way it was sold at the referendum, some of that support is shallow. It is therefore important to make Brexit look inevitable. It may not be good, but it's going ahead.
    If they push ahead and it goes down to the wire without a deal agreed I genuinely expect to see a major Kiev-style pro-EU protest in central London.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. 43, some of the support for the EU was also shallow. Some of the votes for Corbyn's Labour was on the basis people thought the Conservatives would easily get a majority.
  • Options

FF43 said:

If they push ahead and it goes down to the wire without a deal agreed I genuinely expect to see a major Kiev-style pro-EU protest in central London.
    A deal will be agreed IMO. The problem for those who want a rethink is that Brexit probably won't be disastrous enough. If it were, we would be be activating for re-entry, regardless of the referendum result. Brexit is a chronic condition like diabetes rather than an acute condition like a heart attack. You can live with chronic conditions.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

A deal will be agreed IMO. The problem for those who want a rethink is that Brexit probably won't be disastrous enough. If it were, we would be be activating for re-entry, regardless of the referendum result. Brexit is a chronic condition like diabetes rather than an acute condition like a heart attack. You can live with chronic conditions.
    You're assuming that the pro-Brexit elite could live with the failure implied by a mediocre outcome for the UK beside a strong EU. I think their mindset when it comes down it is 'Brexit or bust', and if it looks like bust, they'll switch sides, even if they themselves would find that inconceivable at present.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T

Just bought a couple of Samsung A5's as replacements for my wife and my aging HTC One M8's. Having a bit of a wobble - have I made a good choice? Any thoughts from anyone?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

rkrkrk said:

The BBC salaries issue looks like another example of the right wing press not being as powerful as it thought it was.

I really think in the long-run this could be good for the BBC.
    Much harder for the right-wing press to criticise and distort when it's all out in the open.

And I think the BBC will find they don't struggle to hold onto talent as much they might think and/or that much of the talent is actually replaceable.
    It isn't all out in the open though, far from it. Given how much over the odds they pay for radio presenters, if anything I expect a rush of applications.
    Is the BBC paying over the odds for radio presenters? Radio ought to be the easiest place to establish market value., especially where there is a single DJ or presenter. Audience figures are published every month, and there is a large commercial sector.

Chris Evans gets the largest radio audience in the country. He has more listeners than the sainted Terry Wogan had in the same slot. Why should we be surprised that he also commands the most money?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

calum said:

Fundamentalism is not persuadable.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487

I'm becoming more Pro-Brexit by the day.

It is the only way to ensure proper austerity on the country, Brexit will ensure we live within our means, I'm sick and tired of subsidising the plebs.
  • Options
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

The BBC salaries issue looks like another example of the right wing press not being as powerful as it thought it was.

Much harder for the right-wing press to criticise and distort when it's all out in the open.

And I think the BBC will find they don't struggle to hold onto talent as much they might think and/or that much of the talent is actually replaceable.
    It isn't all out in the open though, far from it. Given how much over the odds they pay for radio presenters, if anything I expect a rush of applications.
    Is the BBC paying over the odds for radio presenters? Radio ought to be the easiest place to establish market value., especially where there is a single DJ or presenter. Audience figures are published every month, and there is a large commercial sector.

Chris Evans gets the largest radio audience in the country. He has more listeners than the sainted Terry Wogan had in the same slot. Why should we be surprised that he also commands the most money?
    Part of me thinks the BBC should be training and promoting its own talent rather than buying established presenters on big contracts. The shows are the institutions not their stars. Although I think Lineker is over paid I guess he is at least home grown talent in that respect.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Except it is based on no facts what so ever...
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    By a bloke funded by the EU....
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

FF43 said:

The Kiev protestors also sought to overturn a democratic election too!

We have seen plenty of these very white very middle class Islington and Camden type dominated protests already in London on the EU - and it's made no difference. Perhaps people else where are just a bit tired of being lectured to by then about what's right and in their best interests by the likes of them

And why should the Tories care about the views of a city - inner London - that has essentially abandoned them. Their votes are elsewhere now - and Tory voters are solidly pro Brexit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,639
    Fourth largest economy under Blair; fifth under Cameron; sixth under May...
  • Options
    isam said:

Rings true

twitter.com/standardnews/status/887980406724857856

I blame brexit...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    isam said:
    If a stranger started smiling at me on the Tube I'd be concerned.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

Mr. 43, some of the support for the EU was also shallow. Some of the votes for Corbyn's Labour was on the basis people thought the Conservatives would easily get a majority.

I think that's an incredibly dangerous and naïve mind set for Conservatives to occupy. "Corbyn did well because some of our supporters didn't want us to do too well" - it's too easy and convenient and above all wrong. People just don't act that way.

On that basis, you could argue some people who would have voted Labour in 1997 voted Conservative because they didn't want Blair to have a big majority - it's absurd.

May failed to give sufficient reason for people to vote FOR the Conservatives. In the end, it came down to "trust me" and "I'm not Jeremy Corbyn". Trouble was, a lot of people didn't and others didn't care.

• Options

By a bloke funded by the EU....
    I though it read quite neutrally. If you can point me towards a similarly detailed analysis of a "No Deal" outcome by an author who meets your funding criteria, I'd be happy to read it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

calum said:

Fundamentalism is not persuadable.

Hence the EU's exorbitant "divorce" bill.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

calum said:
    DB CEO's final observation !

“We will assume a reasonable worst outcome,” Cryan said. “The worst is always likely to be worse than people can imagine.”
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

12th under Corbyn, 2024.
  • Options

isam said:
    Proves the point I think!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    isam said:

isam said:
    Proves the point I think!
    To be fair, I don't scowl either.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Nigelb said:

12th under Corbyn, 2024.
    You are clearly an optimist....
  • Options
    Mr, Stodge, my point was that you can't (in the referendum) say some votes effectively have less weight because people were soft supporters, and that the same logic also means you can't do that for Corbyn. Votes all count the same, and now Corbyn starts from a higher base.

[NB some people were soft supporters either way in the referendum, and the above motivation may also be true, but what counts is the result. Soft support has the same voting power as a 100% backer].
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Nigelb said:

The biggest until Lord North buggered it up.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Nigelb said:

Well what did you expect from an Oxford educated guy?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options

Undoubtedly. There is no consensus one way or the other. The problems for Brexit are that it is controversial, it will be painful and it was sold on a fundamentally false prospectus. Those promoting it can't either wish the pain away nor deny their original promises. So they fall back on, well it's going to happen - that's all you need to know.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Nigelb said:

I think China had the biggest economy in the late eighteenth century.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    GeoffM said:

Nigelb said:

". In the early twentieth century a revisionism emphasized his strengths in administering the Treasury, handling the House of Commons, and in defending the Church of England."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BethRigby: Barnier: sees "no alternative" to #ECJ overseeing citizens rights in the UK > big stumbles at the first (rather fundamental) hurdle #Brexit
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    brendan16 said:

FF43 said:

The Kiev protestors also sought to overturn a democratic election too!

We have seen plenty of these very white very middle class Islington and Camden type dominated protests already in London on the EU - and it's made no difference. Perhaps people else where are just a bit tired of being lectured to by then about what's right and in their best interests by the likes of them

And why should the Tories care about the views of a city - inner London - that has essentially abandoned them. Their votes are elsewhere now - and Tory voters are solidly pro Brexit.
    A quarter of Tory voters tell pollsters they think it is wrong to leave the EU.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @thistlejohn: Barnier says progress at #Brexit talks has been possible in areas where UK has a clear position - ie no homework on Brexit bill, no mark
  • Options
    So Mrs May is doing worse than post Iraq Blair.
  • Options

Mr, Stodge, my point was that you can't (in the referendum) say some votes effectively have less weight because people were soft supporters, and that the same logic also means you can't do that for Corbyn. Votes all count the same, and now Corbyn starts from a higher base.

[NB some people were soft supporters either way in the referendum, and the above motivation may also be true, but what counts is the result. Soft support has the same voting power as a 100% backer].

That's true of all elections in all honesty. A "tactical" vote carries as much weight as a vote from a Party member. That's democracy but elections are about absolutes and referenda even more so.

From the YouGov info a few days ago, both Conservative and Labour vote bases are made up of a significant minority who are simply either anti-the other party and/or anti-the other party's leader (and for those who claim replacing Corbyn would be the answer, I suspect those opposed to Corbyn now would quickly find a reason to be opposed to his successor).

That's how politics works. I suspect there are Labour and Conservative voters who don't like Corbyn and May respectively but still voted for the party.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:
    No, there are markets for "next leader" in other parties and we all know Vince is a caretaker leader so I don't feel trolled or insulted and as I never bet with the Magic Sign, not that bothered.

Evens for Jo Swinson isn't the worst price you'll ever see.

• Options
    Ipsos MORI figures

The headline voting figures for this month show little change from last month’s election result, with the parties neck-and-neck; Labour is on 42 per cent, up one point, the Conservatives 41 per cent, down two points, and Liberal Democrats nine per cent, up nearly two points.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-scores-higher-than-theresa-may-for-the-first-time-in-approval-ratings-poll-a3592111.html
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Barnier presents no legal justification for the money he demands, and not even a total (so he can cut and come again with new demands in years to come). Barnier says the UK is not taking him seriously...
  • Options
    Mr. P, then no deal, alas.

We cannot have a foreign court over and above British laws for acts and individuals within the United Kingdom. It's an outrageous attempt of judicial colonialism.
  • Options
    Interesting dynamics from the Barnier/Davis press conference. Barnier very assertive about controlling the agenda and pushing the pace. Davis in bargaining mode.
  • Options

We cannot have a foreign court over and above British laws for acts and individuals within the United Kingdom. It's an outrageous attempt of judicial colonialism.

Hypocrite.

https://www.jcpc.uk/
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, no.

If countries subject to that court wished to change the situation I would support that. Nations ought to be free to determine their own future.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Really? An Illuminati / Freemason / Lizard People conspiracy?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:
    Really? An Illuminati / Freemason / Lizard People conspiracy?
    Don't mess with the classics.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    calum said:
    Well of course, that's why we're negotating. Any side presenting as the other is the sole party causing difficulty is lying, since the whole point is we cannot agree on certain things and need to hash it out, and in that scenario both sides will present the other as being patently unreasonable. I'm prepared to accept one side, including ours, may be the more unreasonable, depending on the issues, but we're tangoing here, and they're playing the game too.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Hypocrite.

https://www.jcpc.uk/
    There are important differences:

1. Countries can end the jurisdiction of the Privy Council whenever they wish (as Jamaica has recently done).

2. The Privy Council is interpreting the law of the nation that submits to its jurisdiction. It isn't trying to impose English law on the nation in question.

3. The Privy Council is not asserting that English nationals in the country in question are subject to a different set of laws to the locals.
  • Options

It's a problem. The circle that needs squaring:

1. No extraterritorial reach of a court that that is outside the jurisdiction.
    2. Conformity of law and interpretation across the territory the deal applies to.
    3. As the remaining, bigger and already multilateral partner, the EU will not change the way it does things and will remain subject to the ECJ.

The UK problem is that it can reject point number 1 but it doesn't have an alternative that addresses points 2 and 3.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004

Mr. Eagles, no.

If countries subject to that court wished to change the situation I would support that. Nations ought to be free to determine their own future.

Do you think the UK should withdraw from the ICJ?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

2. Conformity of law and interpretation across the territory the deal applies to.
    3. As the remaining, bigger and already multilateral partner, the EU will not change the way it does things and will remain subject to the ECJ.

The UK problem is that it can reject point number 1 but it doesn't have an alternative that addresses points 2 and 3.
    I can think of a very realistic alternative.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Mr. Eagles, no.

Do you think the UK should withdraw from the ICJ?
    I do, but I accept that you're not asking me.
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, is the ICJ seeking to give more rights to non-Britons than Britons, and to override UK law within the UK?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Interesting dynamics from the Barnier/Davis press conference. Barnier very assertive about controlling the agenda and pushing the pace. Davis in bargaining mode.

The basic problem is that the UK does not have settled positions on a number of key issues. That's because it cannot get them as the Cabinet and the wider Conservative party is split on so many issues. Thus, we are largely dependent on the EU coming up with proposals. If they don't, or if these proposals are unacceptable, then things stall - and all the time the clock is ticking down. It really is no way to run a negotiation.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,228
    isam said:

rkrkrk said:

Part of me thinks the BBC should be training and promoting its own talent rather than buying established presenters on big contracts. The shows are the institutions not their stars. Although I think Lineker is over paid I guess he is at least home grown talent in that respect.
    It strikes me that even when they do promote BBC trained staff as soon as they are given a profile their salary goes through the roof. I am thinking Matt Baker, Victoria Derbyshire, Alex Jones and Dan Walker.

Whoever negotiates these contracts should be fired as they are not exactly buttoning down value deals.

Even if one can justify some of the top talent earning astronomical money, and I can think of few who deserve it, paying some of these autocue reading non-entities hundreds of thousands of pounds a year is a joke!

• Options
    Mr. Pete, people care less about negotiating good deals when the money the firm gets is guaranteed and it isn't their own money.

I'd probably have much higher betting stakes if the taxpayer threw £3bn a year at me :p

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

I am guessing not addressing the point at all, don't be concerned about the lack of any deal and let a ship containing nuclear waste drift vaguely in the direction of Antwerp and hope the wind doesn't change direction?
  • Options

Mr. Ace, is the ICJ seeking to give more rights to non-Britons than Britons, and to override UK law within the UK?

Or, put another way, the EU27 is seeking to maintain the current rights enjoyed by EU27 citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU27; the British government is seeking to reduce the rights of EU27 citizens in the UK and those enjoyed by British citizens in the EU27.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    FF43 said:

I see no difficulty with the UK guaranteeing that any legislative changes that it makes will apply equally to British nationals and EU nationals.

But, there is no way that the government can guarantee that it will never change the law in ways that may conflict with EU laws.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    FF43 said:

GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

I am guessing not addressing the point at all, don't be concerned about the lack of any deal and let a ship containing nuclear waste drift vaguely in the direction of Antwerp and hope the wind doesn't change direction?
    Good point - I hadn't taken the wind direction in to account.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    When Jacob Rees-Mogg is 13-2 3rd favourite,it tells you just how poor a field the next Tory leadership contest is.I'm on at 25-1 for Damian Green,not the 70-1 Mike advised,but I wonder if he isn't too close to TMay to win support.There's nothing to say you can't bet on more than 1 horse in each race and at these good double-figure prices,there's nothing to stop you Dutching on 2,3 or 4.
    I'm having a quarter point on someone from the current generation where,despite clearly being in the shadow of his far more famous brother,he has been quietly impressing on the gallops.Jo Johnson is 100-1 with 2 books.Maybe worth a small punt.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

I see no difficulty with the UK guaranteeing that any legislative changes that it makes will apply equally to British nationals and EU nationals.

But, there is no way that the government can guarantee that it will never change the law in ways that may conflict with EU laws.
    On citizen rights, I think that's mostly correct*. Incidentally the UK proposal doesn't guarantee the same rights to UK and resident EU citizens. If it did, I think the UK would be able to deal with the edge cases more effectively.

* It's worth pointing out that citizenship rules have changed in the past but previous rights have always been grandfathered and never altered as far as I know. It's reasonable to have the expectation that the same applies here.
This discussion has been closed.