Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tony Blair: Must we love him or loathe him? Don Brind says No

2»

Comments

• Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Taxes are very high in the Netherlands, most of them will choose Britain.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Why would they have limits on dual nationality? I have UK/USA dual nationality and neither government has a problem with it. I was born and raised in the UK of British parents - it's a large part of who I am. I have spent most of my adult life in the USA, so that is also a large part of who I am. The only drawback is the huge cost of a UK passport renewal compared to a US one - it's over twice the price.

This sounds more like an anti-brexit reflex by the Dutch government.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,840
    edited July 2017
    Tim_B said:

Why would they have limits on dual nationality? I have UK/USA dual nationality and neither government has a problem with it.
    Twenty years or so ago the US government did - a UK friend on applying for US nationality asked the British Embassy in Washington if he'd have to give up his UK passport; 'Why? Are you going to tell them you have a UK passport? We certainly aren't!"

It's a mixed bag in Europe:

In general terms those permitting dual nationality are : Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany ( but only with other EU countries ) Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland.

Those countries who do not : Austria, Estonia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland & Slovakia.

http://www.mcgillandco.co.uk/Blog/2017/6/6/which-eu-countries-allow-for-dual-citizenship
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,204
    I was just rereading Anthony Well's superlative What is Gordon Banks Had Played?, and was amused by the penultimate entry:

Sir,

While I cannot deny the importance of British trade with the United States, nor ignore the benefits of decreasing trade barriers. However these benefits accrue to all participants and it should be an easy matter to negotiate such matters alone, there is no need to gild the lily with the adoption of supranational bodies. We can trade with the USA and Canada without membership of NAFTA; one can trade with a country without having to share the same bathwater.

While NAFTA in its present form may seem to pose no threat, British entry would be a first chip in our sovereignty, and a country can no more be a bit sovereign than one can be a bit pregnant. Either a country is sovereign, or it is not. Those matters that are unaminous today, will be majoritarian tomorrow. What is today voluntary will tomorrow be compulsory. Should Britain make the error of entering NAFTA she will be drawn ever closer into the mire, a tiny island alongside her giant and voracious protector. I have no doubts in predicting the end of Britain as an independent state within twenty years should she make the historic error of selling her independence for economic benefit.

J. ENOCH POWELL, AVONDALE, ZIMBABWE
  • Options
    Dunkirk is getting rave reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017/

And unlike most entries in the blockbuster genre is coming in comfortably under two hours (107 minutes) - I still laugh at Titanic's marketing as a run time of '2 hours 74 minutes'.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,204

And unlike most entries in the blockbuster genre is coming in comfortably under two hours (107 minutes) - I still laugh at Titanic's marketing as a run time of '2 hours 74 minutes'.....

I wish they hadn't changed the ending mind: having the British troops break out and drive for Berlin is a complete fabrication.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I wish they hadn't changed the ending mind: having the British troops break out and drive for Berlin is a complete fabrication.
    That was the American troops who were on the beachhead......
  • Options
    Culture Wars in North Britain:

Tunnock’s has put itself on a collision course with fervent Scottish nationalists again after adding a Union flag to its packaging.

The Lanarkshire-based confectionery maker is stamping its caramel wafer wrappers with the British ensign in a bid to appeal to the Japanese market.

The move to play down the brand’s Scottish roots is unlikely to go down well with some.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/470713/tunnocks-adds-union-flag-to-wrappers-to-appeal-to-the-japanese/
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    Looks like the Republican health bill has failed once again. What an absolute joke of a party.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-essential-washington-updates-two-more-republican-senators-oppose-1500340343-htmlstory.html
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    FPT: Looks like the Republican health bill has failed once again. What an absolute joke of a party.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-essential-washington-updates-two-more-republican-senators-oppose-1500340343-htmlstory.html
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,574
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    Cyclefree said:

This - "I didn’t need convincing that Brexit is a looming disaster but it was a joy to hear the case made so impressively." - exemplifies what too many on the Remain side, even those who voted Remain, still don't get.

Very few people who can argue impressively why Brexit will be a disaster are equally able to make an impressive and convincing case for the EU, its direction of travel and why this is and will continue to be good for Britain.

If you don't have a positive case to make, you will - eventually - lose to those who do have such a positive case.

The Brexiteers and Corbyn had a positive case, however daft it may seem to many and whatever doubts many had about the most prominent Breexiteers and Corbyn himself. Remain and May were defensive, took their case for granted and thought that pointing out the obvious deficiencies of their opponents would be enough. Telling people to be fearful is not a case, is not attractive and is not successful, as we have seen.

"If you don't have a positive case to make, you will - eventually - lose to those who do have such a positive case."

The EU referendum showed that it's impossible to make a positive case for the EU as the europhobes will just shout you down. On two occasions I tried to point out that the EU had done good, in one small area where I had knowledge and backup information, and each time people on here just threw muck. One person admitted to not even reading the supporting information.

This is one reason why I fear Brexit will not go well: many hardcore europhobes cannot listen
    to anything that's contrary to their world view.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    :
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    calum said:

:

:)
This discussion has been closed.