Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Hunt is clearly on manoeuvres and he’s also 100/1 to be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Hunt is clearly on manoeuvres and he’s also 100/1 to be next Tory leader

Jeremy Hunt snapped flashing briefing notes that warn hard Brexit means doctors 'fleeing' UKhttps://t.co/UwKamIiiVz pic.twitter.com/oOdhm2f4qq

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    edited July 2017
    Thirst
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Second
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Third (after Vanilla ate my post)

FTP

Roger said:

Roger said:

A thought.

Could it be that May is bluffing; pretending to be BREXY while trying to make it fail?

Take the strange case of of Dr Liam Fox.

Would you give a GP with his history the tricky job of TRADE MINISTER if you actually wanted it to succeed?

......Liam Fox who lost his job for taking a chum on official trips for the FOREIGN office?

.......Liam Fox whose expenses overclaim was the largest in the Shadw Cabinet? Isn't this rather like giving a FOX the key to the hen-house?

Brexit is one scandal away from collapse. Perhaps she's smarter than she looks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Fox

Yes, the appointment of Liam was an odd one. With his smouldering good looks and pop-babe past, I can only think that Theresa's intention was to add a bit of sexiness to the Brexit proceedings. Perhaps having the glamorous doctor in place, gallivanting around the globe securing his trade deals with Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Ghana, was considered Brexit's answer to Poldark.
    Why Ghana? I don't think he's running a medical mission
    The Ghana deal was the jewel in the crown of post-Brexit settlements. Bicycles made of bamboo on the streets of London was one of the many advantages hailed by Boris:

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/UK-to-push-for-free-trade-deal-with-Ghana-510661
    A trade deal with Ghana would be excellent. That county has made a number of very positive reforms over the last decade, and could be an example to the African continent in what can be achieved with the right governance. We should certainly support that by being the first Western country to genuinely deliver trade justice to African economies, at least the ones moving in the right direction. Achieving free access to a major Western economy would be highly beneficial for them and could be the 21st Century's answer to the 1807 Slave Trade Act. Where we start, may others follow.
    Ghana? A trade deal with Ghana is going to make up for Brexit?

Seriously? Ghana?
    I don't know how CornishJohn manages to keep a straight face.
    Easy enough online ....

Next week, a trade deal with Kiribati will be announced which will be the first step in ensuring that the Sun Never Sets on The British Empire (Mk.2)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,560
    The last year was a horrible nightmare, I've woken up and Dave is still Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/882211218047606785
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,771
    There is so much manoeuvring going on they must bump into each other all the time.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Just imagine if the moderator makes an unfortunate slip of the tongue in a Leader's Debate on prime-time TV.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    I know usually it's all about personal advancement but we shouldn't rule out the possibility that some of these maneuvers are actually intended to get policy outcomes that the ministers believe in. They do factory visits and talk to people all the time, especially employers; They can't be oblivious to the fact that their government is blundering into trashing its most promising industries and throwing a bunch of the people they've talked to out of their jobs.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    TSE said: "Several PB’s most esteemed gamblers think Jeremy Hunt’s legacy from his so far near five year stint as Health Secretary is a bar to him becoming Prime Minister and I agree to them to an extent, however at 100/1 he represents the potential for a good trading bet at least."

Yes indeed. He is too toxic for the top job. Can you imagine the field day the Press would have with slips-of-the-tongue and PM Jeremy C*nt?

It is bad enough having the stain of Brexit on our country without adding another hostage to fortune.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Is TSE a spoof writer?

Jeremy Hunt is such a piece of obvious trolling that it gives the game away.

Unless of course it's a ploy to make George Osborne appear vaguely palatable.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The Tory grassroots aren't going to vote for anyone who is perceived to have sabotaged Brexit.

Things like this don't help.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

TSE said: "Several PB’s most esteemed gamblers think Jeremy Hunt’s legacy from his so far near five year stint as Health Secretary is a bar to him becoming Prime Minister and I agree to them to an extent, however at 100/1 he represents the potential for a good trading bet at least."

Yes indeed. He is too toxic for the top job. Can you imagine the field day the Press would have with slips-of-the-tongue and PM Jeremy C*nt?

It is bad enough having the stain of Brexit on our country without adding another hostage to fortune.

Where did that TSE quote come from?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

You really were born yesterday if you think that was anything other than a piece of intentional wankerdom. Do you find you have to take extra care saying the words front or punt, or any of the half dozen words of the form [consonant]uck? Have you ever heard a similar mistake made by anybody?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Going to the Test at Lords on Friday, and have bought Jonny Bairstow player performance at 111. I am normally a big seller of player performances as the value is in the sell price, but Bairstow averages 143 when he has the gloves, lowest make up of 50.

Incidentally two of the future superstars of English sport are both named Mason.

Mason Crane the leg spinner and Mason Mount the midfielder.

You heard it here first!
  • Options

I know usually it's all about personal advancement but we shouldn't rule out the possibility that some of these maneuvers are actually intended to get policy outcomes that the ministers believe in. They do factory visits and talk to people all the time, especially employers; They can't be oblivious to the fact that their government is blundering into trashing its most promising industries and throwing a bunch of the people they've talked to out of their jobs.

TBF to Mr Hunt - I think he probably does a better job than his detractors would have you believe, but being saddled with the NHS brief is a bit like nuclear fuel - it can have great benefits but you do not want any of it to stick to you and if you hang around it long enough then you are doomed.
  • Options

Is TSE a spoof writer?

Jeremy Hunt is such a piece of obvious trolling that it gives the game away.

Unless of course it's a ploy to make George Osborne appear vaguely palatable.

Osborne cannot ever come back into politics.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2017

Yes, I think that is very likely to be what is happening here. Avoiding disruption in the pharmaceuticals market and in NHS staffing is very much in Jeremy Hunt's remit.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

From the thread header.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

You really were born yesterday if you think that was anything other than a piece of intentional wankerdom. Do you find you have to take extra care saying the words front or punt, or any of the half dozen words of the form [consonant]uck? Have you ever heard a similar mistake made by anybody?
    Sorry - I forgot the need to be blatantly clear on PB.... "Can you imagine the field day the Press would have with supposed slips-of-the-tongue excuses and PM Jeremy C*nt?"

Better?
  • Options

I would like to think so. But wouldn't it be better in that case for Jeremy Hunt simply to go out and tell the media that we are in severe risk of trashing our industries unless we do something about it? Rather than get himself pretend snapped with a supposedly compromising document. The point is, the candid shot is not just intentional, Mr Hunt wants us to believe it's intentional.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    GeoffM said:

From the opening piece. He also said there "The other observation of the wider cabinet is that Mrs May’s authority is weakened to such an extent that her ministers can go rogue so publicly, especially into the areas that aren’t part of their portfolios, such as ministers intervening on Treasury matters, I really can’t see her lasting much longer if this continues."

So it`s not all bad news.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    edited July 2017
    Jeremy's Fuzzy Duck Hunt.
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    On the policy topic at hand, the proposed suggestion at the end of the FT article seems to make a lot of sense. The EU drugs agency can do the research and make the recommendation, and then the UK government can block it if it has strong reasons to. That seems to be consistent with having a collaborative approach, while maintaining UK sovereignty.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Sorry - I forgot the need to be blatantly clear on PB.... "Can you imagine the field day the Press would have with supposed slips-of-the-tongue excuses and PM Jeremy C*nt?"

Better?
    Yes, if you think the world contains people twattish enough to do the same thing again. Which it probably does.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Jeremy Hunt did hold the door open for me at CCHQ when I was calling during the election but unfortunately he comes across as a bit slimy. If you wanted someone with charisma and electability you would go for Boris, if you wanted someone with gravitas and experience who can deal with the EU you would go for Davis or Hammond. This is more pressing the case for his department than leadership bid I think
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    It would be entertaining to have Hunt as PM if only for the battle of Jeremy vs Jeremy. Have the PM and LOTO ever shared the same first name?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jeremy's Fuzzy Duck Hunt.

Old Mother Hunt has a square cut punt.
    Not a punt cut square,
    Just a square cut punt.
    It's round in the stern and blunt in the front.
    Old Mother Hunt has a square cut punt.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

It would be entertaining to have Hunt as PM if only for the battle of Jeremy vs Jeremy. Have the PM and LOTO ever shared the same first name?

Major / Smith for one
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Kinda.

Maurice Harold MacMillan and James Harold Wilson

Edit - Oops TP is right, John Major and John Smith.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Better?
    Yes, if you think the world contains people twattish enough to do the same thing again. Which it probably does.
    Of course it does. I know several very-strongly-Labour people who only call him by the profanity. They think it is clever rather than childish and puerile and it diminishes them rather than Mr Hunt.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited July 2017
    Ahhhhhh the old briefing notes on display wheeze. Sources close to someone will have something to say about that!
    Gove, Hunt, Osborne. I can't see any way the Tories could be seen as less caring unless they elected Bill Cash as leader. With Redwood as chief vampire.
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    RoyalBlue said:

The Tory grassroots aren't going to vote for anyone who is perceived to have sabotaged Brexit.

Things like this don't help.

I agree. You can make such points without the hyperbole about people 'fleeing', etc. It's clearly important to maintain the flow of talent to our NHS, although this just requires the right visa setup in our immigration system. Perhaps we should have a more streamlined 'medical visa' for doctors and nurses, not just from the EU but from places like India and the Philippines. Medical staff are clearly high skilled and the nature of the NHS means they will inevitably have hourly interactions with the public so become integrated with all communities very quickly.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    FF43 said:

I would like to think so. But wouldn't it be better in that case for Jeremy Hunt simply to go out and tell the media that we are in severe risk of trashing our industries unless we do something about it? Rather than get himself pretend snapped with a supposedly compromising document. The point is, the candid shot is not just intentional, Mr Hunt wants us to believe it's intentional.
    Dunno, It's hard to read all the little strategic moves and counter-moves without knowing what the internal conversations are.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Fire, we came within a whisker of having an election with party leaders called Gordon and Ming. The odds on that must be colossal.
  • Options
    Still my favourite political quiz question.

How many Labour leaders have had the first name James?
  • Options
    On-topic, I've put a tiny sum on, although only at 51.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Better?
    Of course it does. I know several very-strongly-Labour people who only call him by the profanity. They think it is clever rather than childish and puerile and it diminishes them rather than Mr Hunt.
    Figures
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited July 2017

Mr. Fire, we came within a whisker of having an election with party leaders called Gordon and Ming. The odds on that must be colossal.

Wislon, Callaghan, Brown. Are there others?

edit: bugger, quoted wrong post. Was replying to TSE re Labour leaders called James...
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Still my favourite political quiz question.

How many Labour leaders have had the first name James?

Four, not including the one you think?

(not edited, honest).

Still no editing here.
  • Options

edit: bugger, quoted wrong post. Was replying to TSE re Labour leaders called James...
    MacDonald
  • Options

Nope, not James Callaghan is not one of the Labour leaders with the first name James.

The list is

Keir Hardie, Ramsay MacDonald, Harold Wilson, and Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Harold Wilson, Ramsey MacDonald, Gordon Brown all had first names of James, I believe; I don't think Jim Callaghan did (Leonard, IIRC)
  • Options

MacDonald
    Not Callaghan. Keir Hardie, Ramsay Macdonald, H Wilson, Gordon Brown.
  • Options

Harold Wilson, Ramsey MacDonald, Gordon Brown all had first names of James, I believe; I don't think Jim Callaghan did (Leonard, IIRC)
    Yup, you forget James Keir Hardie.
  • Options

Nope, not James Callaghan is not one of the Labour leaders with the first name James.

The list is

So, why have Labour leaders been so ashamed of the name James?
  • Options

On the policy topic at hand, the proposed suggestion at the end of the FT article seems to make a lot of sense. The EU drugs agency can do the research and make the recommendation, and then the UK government can block it if it has strong reasons to. That seems to be consistent with having a collaborative approach, while maintaining UK sovereignty.

I think you are right. There is a similar issue in Switzerland, which may be closer to the mark. Because Switzerland, which has an important pharmaceuticals industry, is not part of the EU drugs certification scheme, all testing and certification has to be done in the EU. As that's a large part of a drug company's work, it's easier to base operations in the EU. Switzerland would like to bring themselves into the EU certification scheme through a bilateral agreement but the Swiss and the EU aren't talking to each other at the moment.
  • Options

The list is

They hate the Jacobites, clearly
  • Options
    Look at Hunt in that picture. He looks so pleased with himself for his wizard wheeze.
    He'll be on a tank next
  • Options

The list is

Well three of those four were Scottish.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

The list is

Brown is obvious. Would give away he's a sex machine. Ramsay clearly foresaw he'd later be jailed for murder in Coronation Street.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2017
    FPT;
    calum said:

Well, without wanting to be unduly nasty

That part didn't go well.

You don't know anything about these people or their situations.
    >£2k a month

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-56441398.html
    Urgh.

In bold:

"No DSS / Housing Benefit Applicants"

Some landlords really are sh*ts.
  • Options
    Watching Juncker going postal this morning I bet he's been on the sauce since. Wobbly scenes chez Jean Claude
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

No, they just want their rent paid on time. Wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

In what way does that help the UK?

We can deny UK patients access to drugs they could get in the EU? Great.

The flipside was discussed yesterday. No UK manufactured drugs can be sold in the EU.

Awesome...
  • Options

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Isn't housing benefit pretty much government guaranteed cash though ?
  • Options

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Well housing benefit can be paid directly to landlords. Depending on circumstances that can make the tenancy more secure along with payment. Still it's only a short time since no blacks or Irish was de riguer, why not stigmatise the poor instead.
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

In bold:

Almost all the rental properties I have ever looked at have said that.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

The list is

They hate Jacobite names .... :smile:
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Guaranteed for the applicant or guaranteed for the landlord? The two are not the same thing.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

The list is

They hate the Jacobites, clearly
    Just noted ..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Yeah it is but those of us unfortunate enough to be on benefits are filthy unwashed scumbags and should be corralled into flea pits. It's the right thing to do.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Pulpstar said:

From a 2010 government report:

Almost half (47 per cent) of all landlords were happy to rent to tenants on Housing Benefit (HB) or the Local Housing Allowance (LHA), with a further 21 per cent saying they would be encouraged to do so if payments were not made direct to the tenant.

Reasons given by those who weren't willing to accept housing benefit tenants were disturbances or anti-social behaviour (19%), expected payment delays (17%), unpaid rent (16%) and damage (16%).

Contrary to the views of some, it's generally not landlords who are the villains. Tenants can be bloody awful.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/private-landlords-survey-2010
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Guaranteed for the applicant or guaranteed for the landlord? The two are not the same thing.
    Wages aren't guaranteed for landlords either tbf
    Nor trust funds
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    100/1? I wouldnt take 10,000/1 Even George Osborne is less toxic than Hunt. I can't really forsee a circumstance where he would win round enough MPs or Tory members to come close.

• Options
    Mr. Brom, if the choice were Boris, Gove or Hunt, I could see Hacker winning.
  • Options

Well housing benefit can be paid directly to landlords. Depending on circumstances that can make the tenancy more secure along with payment.

Payments by councils direct to landlords are notoriously bureaucratic and often many months late. You can't blame landlords for not wanting the hassle.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Well housing benefit can be paid directly to landlords. Depending on circumstances that can make the tenancy more secure along with payment.

Payments by councils direct to landlords are notoriously bureaucratic and often many months late. You can't blame landlords for not wanting the hassle.
    When provision of social housing is so poor then I'd back making discrimination solely based on welfare status illegal. It doesn't say, for example, no pensioners.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited July 2017
    Is Hunt auditioning for a job as one of those guy with the "GOLF SALE THIS WAY ->" signs?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Is Hunt auditioning for a job as one of those guy with the "GOLF SALE THIS WAY ->" signs?

He's practising being an anteater.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

When provision of social housing is so poor then I'd back making discrimination solely based on welfare status illegal. It doesn't say, for example, no pensioners.
    Maybe that's because as a general rule pensioners pay the rent and don't trash the place? Just a thought.
  • Options

He's practising being an anteater.
    That, or he's campaigning in the leprechaun community again.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    We need Tracey Crouch to propose banning all teams in red....

Should get her the profile she needs.
  • Options
    Now, I voted to remain but people saying Cummings has U-turned on his Brexit position either have the intellectual capability of a gnat, or are appealing to those that do so.

In many universes driving home for me this evening would have been better avoided with the future car crash I'll have. But that will have no bearing on whether or not I choose to do so. If we THINK about what Cummings is saying, he is also pointing out that remaining will have been an error in some future universes.
    I fear the point is lost on his critics though, his blog and twitter feed are exceptional in their intelligence I find.
  • Options

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Well housing benefit can be paid directly to landlords. Depending on circumstances that can make the tenancy more secure along with payment. Still it's only a short time since no blacks or Irish was de riguer, why not stigmatise the poor instead.
    It's only paid direct to the landlord when it's already 8 weeks in arrears. Otherwise the tenant gets it, can spend it and if evicted for non-payment gets rehoused to do it all again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Now, I voted to remain but people saying Cummings has U-turned on his Brexit position either have the intellectual capability of a gnat, or are appealing to those that do so.

In many universes driving home for me this evening would have been better avoided with the future car crash I'll have. But that will have no bearing on whether or not I choose to do so. If we THINK about what Cummings is saying, he is also pointing out that remaining will have been an error in some future universes.
    I fear the point is lost on his critics though, his blog and twitter feed are exceptional in their intelligence I find.

Yes, he's saying some interesting things.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Yeah it is but those of us unfortunate enough to be on benefits are filthy unwashed scumbags and should be corralled into flea pits. It's the right thing to do.
    Said nobody anywhere ever.
  • Options

Maybe that's because as a general rule pensioners pay the rent and don't trash the place? Just a thought.
    As a general rule neither do welfare claimants. We aren't feral animals.and, believe it or not, being low on funds doesn't make you less proud or committed to meeting your commitments. Indeed I'd say having money tends more towards greed, fraud and ducking out of paying than not having it.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Mr. Brom, if the choice were Boris, Gove or Hunt, I could see Hacker winning.

I'd be surprised to see Gove AND Boris try again. Hopefully just the one of them next time. There is bound to be a relative unknown backbencher throwing their hat into the ring next time, I expect the shock of Brexit caught many off guard last time but no doubt everyone will be ready next time. Boris would be on dodgy ground but with Hunt in charge the Tories might as well just hand Labour power rather than bothering to hold an election.
  • Options

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

It's only paid direct to the landlord when it's already 8 weeks in arrears. Otherwise the tenant gets it, can spend it and if evicted for non-payment gets rehoused to do it all again.
    And most recipients spend it on their rent.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    F1: Kubica to test again for Renault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40492882

Edited extra bit: anyway, time to be off.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

As a general rule neither do welfare claimants. We aren't feral animals.and, believe it or not, being low on funds doesn't make you less proud or committed to meeting your commitments. Indeed I'd say having money tends more towards greed, fraud and ducking out of paying than not having it.

So landlords are deliberately depriving themselves of good tenants? Well, it's a thought.

In the real world, landlords can only go on experience and risk. That means some people get unfairly treated, but, rather than lambasting landlords who just want their property to be respected and their rent paid, shouldn't you turn your anger on those who wreck things for you? People like this tenant for example:

I'm a landlord who felt sorry for the a girl on DSS after stating no DSS and it was the biggest mistake of my life, not only has she since sold the whole flat's worth of furniture (and because she is on DSS, Ive been told I'll be lucky to get a £1 a week from her to repay the cost of a whole flat of furniture, including a tv, sofa, two double beds, wardrobes and I could go on) not only that but now she isn't paying her rent and its a complete nightmare to get her out as the council and dss advise her not to move until bailiffs are at the door. This is the reason we don't want to rent to DSS. Its the council's fault they not only take an age to even reply to any correspondent, the people who do this are completely rude and unhelpful. In 7 years of renting my flat this is just a horrific experience and I for one will never ever even consider DSS again

It's from this quite interesting set of comments on both sides:

https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/house-garden-194/money-finance-entitlements-267/521315-private-renting-when-housing-benefit-help-all.html
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hmm, it mostly looks like self-exculpatory guff to me, to be honest.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Such views don't tend to be voiced. They crystallize in the minds of the I'm alright Jack majority. Egged on by programmes like benefits street.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Landlords are charged more for insurance if they let to DSS and their mortgage lender may also forbid it. Local authorities also encourage defaulting tenants to make their landlord evict them.

For some reason, insurers, lenders and landlords tend to base their commercial decisions on their actual real world experience, rather than on the right-on prejudices of somebody off the internet.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hmm, it mostly looks like self-exculpatory guff to me, to be honest.
    Possibly, but interesting self-exculpatory guff.
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

In bold:

I rent out a property and do NOT have this restriction when I advertise (indeed, I had an excellent housing benefit tenant for several years).

However, there are several good reasons why some private landlords restrict it that don't equate to their being "sh*ts":

1. Some insurance policies and a few mortgages just don't allow it (or charge a big premium).
    2. Councils can be a pain in relation to paying on time.
    3. If the tenant loses benefits - perhaps due to a rule change of which there are many - they are relatively unlikely to have funds to pay the next month's rent. People who are not on benefits can also run into financial problems of course, but tend to have some savings and some notice of likely changes in income such that it's less likely to be an issue for their landlord.

And no doubt some are also just plain prejudiced... but that isn't a given.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I find his writings unreadable but his twitter feed at least suggests there are possible outcomes where Leave would turn out to be a mistake. The mistake would be one of process rather than principle. His implication, I think, is, don't mess up - the project's at risk.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Such views don't tend to be voiced. They crystallize in the minds of the I'm alright Jack majority. Egged on by programmes like benefits street.
    Right, so we have your personal confidence that you know what's in other people's minds.

With that edge you must be very prosperous and successful in life, I'd guess?
  • Options

So landlords are deliberately depriving themselves of good tenants? Well, it's a thought.

In the real world, landlords can only go on experience and risk. That means some people get unfairly treated, but, rather than lambasting landlords who just want their property to be respected and their rent paid, shouldn't you turn your anger on those who wreck things for you? People like this tenant for example:

I'm a landlord who felt sorry for the a girl on DSS after stating no DSS and it was the biggest mistake of my life, not only has she since sold the whole flat's worth of furniture (and because she is on DSS, Ive been told I'll be lucky to get a £1 a week from her to repay the cost of a whole flat of furniture, including a tv, sofa, two double beds, wardrobes and I could go on) not only that but now she isn't paying her rent and its a complete nightmare to get her out as the council and dss advise her not to move until bailiffs are at the door. This is the reason we don't want to rent to DSS. Its the council's fault they not only take an age to even reply to any correspondent, the people who do this are completely rude and unhelpful. In 7 years of renting my flat this is just a horrific experience and I for one will never ever even consider DSS again

https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/house-garden-194/money-finance-entitlements-267/521315-private-renting-when-housing-benefit-help-all.html
    No, anger should be directed at the paucity of social housing. Whilst the above example is clearly a rat bag, the situation for the majority on low incomes who don't want to take the piss is very poor and there is little help in the private or public sphere. There is simply no appetite amongst those that are not in this position to address the issue, the alright Jacks are alright after all, and, on top of this are only exposed to stories like the above and sensationalized TV programmes.
  • Options
    On topic, the Conservatives could do an awful lot worse than Jeremy Hunt. He stays focussed on the task at hand and isn't wont to start howling at the moon every time someone mentions the EU. I could imagine him having things that he wanted to do and actually seeing them through to be done.

In practice, the Conservatives almost certainly will do an awful lot worse than Jeremy Hunt.
  • Options

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

And most recipients spend it on their rent.
    Until it suits them otherwise
    https://news.rla.org.uk/nine-in-ten-lha-landlords-have-had-problems-with-rent/
    https://www.legalforlandlords.co.uk/almost-90-of-landlords-are-owed-lha-rent/
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Wages aren't guaranteed for landlords either tbf
    Nor trust funds
    No but landlords are only acting from legitimate self-interest. If DSS/housing benefit applicants were more likely to pay regularly, on time and in full than those relying upon wages then landlords would prefer them.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

No, anger should be directed at the paucity of social housing. Whilst the above example is clearly a rat bag, the situation for the majority on low incomes who don't want to take the piss is very poor and there is little help in the private or public sphere. There is simply no appetite amongst those that are not in this position to address the issue, the alright Jacks are alright after all, and, on top of this are only exposed to stories like the above and sensationalized TV programmes.
    Unfortunately most people lack your ability to read the minds of others at will, and therefore would be unable to identify a rat bag from a decent tenant simply through telepathy.

In the absence of your psychic insights, most landlords understandably go for tenants who experience, references and credti checks suggest are less likely to screw them over. I'm surprised you haven't picked this up from scanning their thoughts.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

FPT;

calum said:

>£2k a month

Urgh.

Right, so we have your personal confidence that you know what's in other people's minds.

With that edge you must be very prosperous and successful in life, I'd guess?
    Lol. Not at all. The way of things betrays the group think.
    As for me, no I am not prosperous and have no desire to be so. I'm solvent and I pay my bills. As for successful, that rather depends on your definition. I'm laughing like a drain at the moment and content with my lot so I can't complain. But I do. Cos, ya know, pointing out the deficiencies of society is entertaining.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    Pulpstar said:

Is Cummings really invoking the Multiverse to say that whatever we do there will be some alternative universe where that would have been a bad or a good idea.
    It might be an idea to live in the real universe and the real world. In this one I suspect that we would have been better off without his £350million/week to the NHS promise.
  • Options
    Blimey, Jeremy Corbyn has come up with something sensible:

Corbyn has demanded a two-part inquiry looking first at the specific issues at Grenfell and then a wider examination of national issues. And he also wants transparency and the full involvement of the residents in the process, a source said.

He's also refused to back the shadow fire services minister’s call for Sir Martin Moore-Bick to resign as chair of the inquiry.

Two sensible things from Corbyn in one afternoon? What is going on?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jul/04/kensington-mp-joins-calls-for-grenfell-tower-inquiry-chair-to-be-replaced-politics-live
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Corbyn has demanded a two-part inquiry looking first at the specific issues at Grenfell and then a wider examination of national issues. And he also wants transparency and the full involvement of the residents in the process, a source said.

He's also refused to back the shadow fire services minister’s call for Sir Martin Moore-Bick to resign as chair of the inquiry.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jul/04/kensington-mp-joins-calls-for-grenfell-tower-inquiry-chair-to-be-replaced-politics-live

He didn't write it?
  • Options

I'm a landlord who felt sorry for the a girl on DSS after stating no DSS and it was the biggest mistake of my life, not only has she since sold the whole flat's worth of furniture (and because she is on DSS, Ive been told I'll be lucky to get a £1 a week from her to repay the cost of a whole flat of furniture, including a tv, sofa, two double beds, wardrobes and I could go on) not only that but now she isn't paying her rent and its ason we don't want to rent to DSS. Its the council's fault they not only take an age to even reply to any correspondent, the people who do this are completely rude and unhelpful. In 7 years of renting my flat this is just a horrific experience and I for one will never ever even consider DSS again

Unfortunately most people lack your ability to read the minds of others at will, and therefore would be unable to identify a rat bag from a decent tenant simply through telepathy.

In the absence of your psychic insights, most landlords understandably go for tenants who experience, references and credti checks suggest are less likely to screw them over. I'm surprised you haven't picked this up from scanning their thoughts.
    Lol, you've got a bee in your bonnet about mind reading!
  • Options

He didn't write it?
    Good point, that might be it.
  • Options

I'm a landlord who felt sorry for the a girl on DSS after stating no DSS and it was the biggest mistake of my life, not only has she since sold the whole flat's worth of furniture (and because she is on DSS, Ive been told I'll be lucky to get a £1 a week from her to repay the cost of a whole flat of furniture, including a tv, sofa, two double beds, wardrobes and I could go on) not only that but now she isn't paying her rent and its ason we don't want to rent to DSS. Its the council's fault they not only take an age to even reply to any correspondent, the people who do this are completely rude and unhelpful. In 7 years of renting my flat this is just a horrific experience and I for one will never ever even consider DSS again

Lol, you've got a bee in your bonnet about mind reading!
    You knew that already.
This discussion has been closed.