Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this story is right then you should take the 4/1 on Mrs May

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited July 2017
    FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

This obsession with the EU is the reason why every Conservative leader for decades to come will continue to fail abjectly. It's not going to go away.

Once we've left doesn't that bring matters to a close once and for all?
    Nope. Of all the false premises behind Brexit, that's the biggest one. The EU will dominate the political life of the country after exit in a way it never did while we were members. And not in a good way.
    Indeed. It will still be a huge market whose standards and rules we will have no ability to influence. Yet, in order to gain access to their market, we will have to follow and implement their rules.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Pointer, the next PM should provide a reason to vote for the Conservatives, not be defined as Not-Corbyn. May tried that to destruction.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,152

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The Spectator was tipping the future potential of Damian Hinds and Dominic Raab. I also think Jeremy Hunt could benefit from being rotated to a main office of State (for at least a year) to broaden his experience.

I think the Tories will have to go for someone with little experience like Raab or Kwasi if they want to shake things up and have a chance of defeating Corbyn.

Trouble is that will require an election in quick order as the public won't wear being governed by someone little known for very long - But I think an election in 2020 is worth the gamble for the Tories if it means they can bring in a fresh face.
    No even I have barely heard of Raab or Kwasi and I am a Tory member they cannot expect to become the PM they would automatically be without having held a senior Cabinet post. Neither have the charisma of Boris either. No Hammond or Davis are the only viable options
    You would assume there will be a cabinet reshuffle in the next few months that will promote some fresh faces to the cabinet in time for the 2019 leadership election.

As it stands Hammond and Davis are both losers against Corbyn - Neither on them has the remotest chance of winning an election against Jezza.

Boris remains an intriguing possibility. He DOES have the charisma to take on Jezza... But he also has a lot of negatives.

The only way they'll stop Corbyn is to do something surprising and try to shake up the narrative (which is that Con are on their way "out" and Jezza is on his way "in")
    Why are Hammond and Davis automatic losers against Corbyn? The latest Survation has the Tories back in the lead against Labour

And where does all thsi 'automatic loser' stuff come from anyway?

Wasn't Corbyn thought to be an automatic loser against May, (and just about everybody else too)?

Go on, give it a whirl. What have you got to lose?
    Yes indeed although of course Corbyn did still lose to May even if not as badly as expected
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

This obsession with the EU is the reason why every Conservative leader for decades to come will continue to fail abjectly. It's not going to go away.

Well no, some people may one day want us to go back in, especially if th EU prospers and we drop down to the economic level of Albania. (Venezuala if Corbyn is PM).
    And join the Euro, the European army, have a European wide tax system?

It will be (at best) a fringe view within the Tory Party I'd have thought...

People forget that whilst there were risks in LEAVING, REMAINING wasn't risk free either. REJOINING will be even more risky.
    Risks? What risks?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,790
    edited July 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

A comically over-optimistic and confident timeframe, which reminds me of the tory overconfidence about how rapidly the Brexit talks will proceed.

Meanwhile Survation, the new gold standard, are pointing to ever more increasingly clear majorities in favour of remain. If it's 54% now, and the economy continues to show weaker performance, it may be 64% by this time next year.

We can't remain because we've had a referendum and it was decided by the country that we're leaving.

I don't know why these pollsters are even asking the old remain/leave question....
    Because it's the most salient political issue of this parliament.
    That you don't wish to hear that the country might have changed its mind is not a particularly good reason for not polling on the issue.
    +1 If we followed GIN's logic we shouldn't have had a referendum last year because we already had one in 1975!
    For a long time that was exactly the reason the establishment wouldn't allow an EU referendum.

But you can't really compare having a referendum over 30 years ago to trying to re-run a referendum from just one year ago...
    Fair point - plus in 1975 it was a ref on the EEC not today's EU. But... at least the 1975 ref gave a clear verdict.

One perennial problem with referenda is the danger of a close result. Do you honestly think that had it been 48/52 the other way the Brexiteers would have shut up?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,349
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

A comically over-optimistic and confident timeframe, which reminds me of the tory overconfidence about how rapidly the Brexit talks will proceed.

Meanwhile Survation, the new gold standard, are pointing to ever more increasingly clear majorities in favour of remain. If it's 54% now, and the economy continues to show weaker performance, it may be 64% by this time next year.

We can't remain because we've had a referendum and it was decided by the country that we're leaving.

I don't know why these pollsters are even asking the old remain/leave question....
    That you don't wish to hear that the country might have changed its mind is not a particularly good reason for not polling on the issue.
    +1 If we followed GIN's logic we shouldn't have had a referendum last year because we already had one in 1975!
    For a long time that was exactly the reason the establishment wouldn't allow an EU referendum.

But you can't really compare having a referendum over 30 years ago to trying to re-run a referendum from just one year ago...
    Maybe the real problem is that referendums are not generally a good way of determining the nature and scope of your main platforms of economic and political policy for the next few generations.

But there you go. Stuck with it now.
  • Options

Mr. Pointer, the next PM should provide a reason to vote for the Conservatives, not be defined as Not-Corbyn. May tried that to destruction.

And she still won more votes and seats than Corbyn
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, yes. From a 20 point lead she lost seats and scraped a victory. That's not a model of inspiration, and the Conservatives must not be complacent next time.

Corbyn's a terrible leader, but (aided by an inept Conservative campaign and abetted by a soft-pedalling media) rather better at campaigning.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    GIN1138 said:

I don't know why these pollsters are even asking the old remain/leave question.

They should ask, once we've left would you like to rejoin? And also what kind of Brexit people want to see.
    We can remain if a party comes to power with a commitment to hold another referendum and the vote is to, er, remain.

I don't think that would be good for the country at the moment, but...if it happened, and we went back in, and they offered us Dave's deal, and of course we didn't need to sign up for Schengen & the Euro...well I might *just* be in favour, and put our economic well-being ahead of the national humiliation we would suffer.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The Spectator was tipping the future potential of Damian Hinds and Dominic Raab. I also think Jeremy Hunt could benefit from being rotated to a main office of State (for at least a year) to broaden his experience.

I think the Tories will have to go for someone with little experience like Raab or Kwasi if they want to shake things up and have a chance of defeating Corbyn.

Trouble is that will require an election in quick order as the public won't wear being governed by someone little known for very long - But I think an election in 2020 is worth the gamble for the Tories if it means they can bring in a fresh face.
    No even I have barely heard of Raab or Kwasi and I am a Tory member they cannot expect to become the PM they would automatically be without having held a senior Cabinet post. Neither have the charisma of Boris either. No Hammond or Davis are the only viable options
    You would assume there will be a cabinet reshuffle in the next few months that will promote some fresh faces to the cabinet in time for the 2019 leadership election.

As it stands Hammond and Davis are both losers against Corbyn - Neither on them has the remotest chance of winning an election against Jezza.

Boris remains an intriguing possibility. He DOES have the charisma to take on Jezza... But he also has a lot of negatives.

The only way they'll stop Corbyn is to do something surprising and try to shake up the narrative (which is that Con are on their way "out" and Jezza is on his way "in")
    Why are Hammond and Davis automatic losers against Corbyn? The latest Survation has the Tories back in the lead against Labour

Wasn't Corbyn thought to be an automatic loser against May, (and just about everybody else too)?

Yes indeed although of course Corbyn did still lose to May even if not as badly as expected
    True, but be honest, Hyufd, do you think the outcome would have been essentially the same if the election had been a week later?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hinkley Point: EDF raises cost estimate for nuclear plant
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40479053

I assume EDF will take the hit with this. After all it is what privatisation is all about, putting the risk (And rewards) to the private sector.
    There is a difference between an estimate and a quote. When a business gives a quote for work it is (generally) a guaranteed price. An estimate is a guess that may bear no relation to the finished cost. Businesses are not bound by estimates.
    Presumably neither is the country, on this occasion. Time to stop this foolishness and increase our focus on renewables.
    We are focusing on renewables and there were a few times in the last few weeks were most of the country energy needs for the day came from renewables.

However, it does introduce a new kind of risk. A large proportion of the energy came from wind farms and there are times when there is no wind across the whole UK (or not enough wind) for powering wind turbines. Admittedly this only happens for a few days every couple of years, but imagine having only 49% of the needed power capacity for two days.

I can remember the 1970s when the unions used to cut power off at power stations until they got pay rises and we sat in the dark with candles going and used hot water bottles for "central heating" and gas camping stoves for cooking. I can do without reliving those experiences.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nope. Of all the false premises behind Brexit, that's the biggest one. The EU will dominate the political life of the country after exit in a way it never did while we were members. And not in a good way.
    Indeed. It will still be a huge market whose standards and rules we will have no ability to influence. Yet, in order to gain access to their market, we will have to follow and implement their rules.
    Please gibe lots of examples of how we were able to influence standards and rules as members.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    The citymetric blog usually has interesting items on devolution and city issues.

The latest blogpost seems to be arguing about the number of tube lines in London.

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/how-many-tube-lines-does-london-have-riposte-3151

My preference is the narrow and nerdish definition.

One for Sunil perhaps?

• Options
    edited July 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

True, but be honest, Hyufd, do you think the outcome would have been essentially the same if the election had been a week later?
    Yes, the anti Corbyn vote is solid at about 41 to 42%. Corbyn has a lot of very passionate supporters but also a large number of voters wouldn't trust him to run a bath. If the Tories scrap the dementia tax, end the public sector pay freeze etc as they are moving towards and do a half sensible Brexit deal they can win next time
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Mr. HYUFD, yes. From a 20 point lead she lost seats and scraped a victory. That's not a model of inspiration, and the Conservatives must not be complacent next time.

Corbyn's a terrible leader, but (aided by an inept Conservative campaign and abetted by a soft-pedalling media) rather better at campaigning.

Morris The Daily Mail and Sun hardly soft pedaled on Corbyn My conservative supporting dad had to take all day on pre election day to way through the it all.He knew so much about Corbyn and the dementia tax , he rang me up and said for the first time in his life he was not voting.
  • Options

Yes - I agree on both points. But there is always an element of a beauty contest - relative charisma often plays a part. I can't think of any election since the 1970s, except possibly 1992, where I would say the more charismatic leader of the two main parties hasn't come out on top. Admittedly sometimes (Wilson Heath) there was next to no charisma on either side.

The logic of this argument leads me to conclude that BoJo is the only choice to succeed May...
    ...so I hope my argument is flawed somehere along the line! :smiley:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,572

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

Please gibe lots of examples of how we were able to influence standards and rules as members.
    In implementing Basel III, for example, the Commission put forward proposals on the harmonisation of capital requirements throughout the EU. The UK, concerned that this represented a threat to its post financial crisis policy objective of ensuring tougher capital requirements for domestic banks, negotiated a compromise position ensuring that individual member states would be permitted to set higher regulatory capital reserve requirements without prior permission from the EU.

Or

it is in the areas of passporting and non-discriminatory access to markets that the UK has most effectively wielded its influence. Absent from MiFID I, a harmonised third-country access regime was one of the UK’s key policy objectives during legislative negotiations on MiFID II. Proving to be one of the most controversial topics throughout negotiations, a compromise was finally reached which permitted non-EU states partial, reciprocal access based on an affirmative determination by the Commission that their regulatory framework in the provision of financial services was equivalent to EU rules.

Or

Likewise on EMIR, the UK used its influence not only to ensure a framework for third-country market access, but also to ensure non-discriminatory access to clearing houses, following heated debate over the appropriate venue for the clearing of euro-denominated derivatives trading.

How many more do you want?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @acgrayling: Because, as one Chinese businessman said: 'The UK is the door to Europe. Without Europe it is the door to nowhere.' https://twitter.com/ukipnfkn/status/881656232628695041
  • Options

The Tories clearly need to dump the dementia tax etc as they are starting to do but the fact the Tories still won more seats than Corbyn despite his running a far better campaign shows you the reservations swing voters have about voting Labour while he remains leader
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I assume EDF will take the hit with this. After all it is what privatisation is all about, putting the risk (And rewards) to the private sector.
    There is a difference between an estimate and a quote. When a business gives a quote for work it is (generally) a guaranteed price. An estimate is a guess that may bear no relation to the finished cost. Businesses are not bound by estimates.
    Presumably neither is the country, on this occasion. Time to stop this foolishness and increase our focus on renewables.
    We are focusing on renewables and there were a few times in the last few weeks were most of the country energy needs for the day came from renewables.

However, it does introduce a new kind of risk. A large proportion of the energy came from wind farms and there are times when there is no wind across the whole UK (or not enough wind) for powering wind turbines. Admittedly this only happens for a few days every couple of years, but imagine having only 49% of the needed power capacity for two days.

I can remember the 1970s when the unions used to cut power off at power stations until they got pay rises and we sat in the dark with candles going and used hot water bottles for "central heating" and gas camping stoves for cooking. I can do without reliving those experiences.
    In 2000 we had some conservative farmers and hauliers who held the country to ransom to.How the conservatives loved it , until it got out of hand.
  • Options

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

In implementing Basel III, for example, the Commission put forward proposals on the harmonisation of capital requirements throughout the EU. The UK, concerned that this represented a threat to its post financial crisis policy objective of ensuring tougher capital requirements for domestic banks, negotiated a compromise position ensuring that individual member states would be permitted to set higher regulatory capital reserve requirements without prior permission from the EU.

Or

it is in the areas of passporting and non-discriminatory access to markets that the UK has most effectively wielded its influence. Absent from MiFID I, a harmonised third-country access regime was one of the UK’s key policy objectives during legislative negotiations on MiFID II. Proving to be one of the most controversial topics throughout negotiations, a compromise was finally reached which permitted non-EU states partial, reciprocal access based on an affirmative determination by the Commission that their regulatory framework in the provision of financial services was equivalent to EU rules.

Or

Likewise on EMIR, the UK used its influence not only to ensure a framework for third-country market access, but also to ensure non-discriminatory access to clearing houses, following heated debate over the appropriate venue for the clearing of euro-denominated derivatives trading.

How many more do you want?
    I mean fair enough to say that fat-cat bankers are leeches and should be expelled from our lives and the less influence they have the better.

But to deny that the UK had huge influence in setting the rules for european financial services is just bizarre.

Someone said to me, discussing MiFID II, that our leaving the EU would be great because we could ignore it.............
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, the anti Corbyn vote is solid at about 41 to 42%. Corbyn has a lot of very passionate supporters but also a large number who wouldn't trust him to run a bath. If the Tories scrap the dementia tax, end the public sector pay freeze etc as they are moving towards and do a half sensible Brexit deal they can win next time
    Just look at this graph and tell me that by June 15th we wouldn't have passed crossover point!

• Options

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nige, @TheScreamingEagles has done this. There are many, many more.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

You would assume there will be a cabinet reshuffle in the next few months that will promote some fresh faces to the cabinet in time nd Jezza is on his way "in")

Yes, the anti Corbyn vote is solid at about 41 to 42%. Corbyn has a lot of very passionate supporters but also a large number who wouldn't trust him to run a bath. If the Tories scrap the dementia tax, end the public sector pay freeze etc as they are moving towards and do a half sensible Brexit deal they can win next time
    Just look at this graph and tell me that by June 15th we wouldn't have passed crossover point!

You wouldn't, the movement to Labour in the final period came almost entirely from the LDs and minor parties not the Tories
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Pulpstar said:

Wasn't it the government that imposed power cuts in response to the miners' strike and also (often forgotten) the oil price shock where oil went up 400 per cent and supply was reduced? I don't recall the power workers striking, though I could be wrong as it was a long time ago.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Yes - I agree on both points. But there is always an element of a beauty contest - relative charisma often plays a part. I can't think of any election since the 1970s, except possibly 1992, where I would say the more charismatic leader of the two main parties hasn't come out on top. Admittedly sometimes (Wilson Heath) there was next to no charisma on either side.

The logic of this argument leads me to conclude that BoJo is the only choice to succeed May...
    Corbyn is not charismatic, he is just a bearded nerd who rants a lot
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The citymetric blog usually has interesting items on devolution and city issues.

The latest blogpost seems to be arguing about the number of tube lines in London.

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/how-many-tube-lines-does-london-have-riposte-3151

One for Sunil perhaps?

The East London Line was part of the tube network and 15 years ago would certainly have been thought to have been one of the tube lines. By a rebadging after its extension, it became part of the Overground. Not treating it as a tube line would be worse than the decision to demote Pluto from planet status.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, the anti Corbyn vote is solid at about 41 to 42%. Corbyn has a lot of very passionate supporters but also a large number of voters wouldn't trust him to run a bath. If the Tories scrap the dementia tax, end the public sector pay freeze etc as they are moving towards and do a half sensible Brexit deal they can win next time
    Hmmmm....not sure about that. The vote is always solid, until it melts away.

All the indications are that Corbyn was closing fast and there is no reason to suppose that was about to stop.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921
    calum said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't know why these pollsters are even asking the old remain/leave question.

They should ask, once we've left would you like to rejoin? And also what kind of Brexit people want to see.
    I think the big test for the polls will come in the Autumn as we move into the divorce bill phase of the initial negotiations - we could easily see Remain support hitting over 60% once folks realise there is a real cost to Brexit.
    Restating the same question gives a clearer picture of how many people have changed their minds.

You can only start asking the rejoin question once we have left when, of course, the terms of rejoining would be critical. Up to actually leaving nobody knows for certain on what basis we would be allowed to stay in if we changed our mind.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Wasn't it the government that imposed power cuts in response to the miners' strike and also (often forgotten) the oil price shock where oil went up 400 per cent and supply was reduced? I don't recall the power workers striking, though I could be wrong as it was a long time ago.
    It was a long time ago and I remember shivering more than whichever hand pulled the Big Red Lever in the power station.

Having said that, here are some memories from the 70s. Enjoy :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6729683.stm
  • Options

One for Sunil perhaps?

The East London Line was part of the tube network and 15 years ago would certainly have been thought to have been one of the tube lines. By a rebadging after its extension, it became part of the Overground. Not treating it as a tube line would be worse than the decision to demote Pluto from planet status.
    I am not at all sure about what has happened to the Circle Line, these past 15 years or so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

You would assume there will be a cabinet reshuffle in the next few months that will promote some fresh faces to the cabinet in time is on his way "in")

Yes, the anti Corbyn vote is solid at about 41 to 42%. Corbyn has a lot of very passionate supporters but also a large number of voters wouldn't trust him to me

All the indications are that Corbyn was closing fast and there is no reason to suppose that was about to stop.
    Nope even now Survation (the most accurate election pollster) has the Tories on 41%. In 1987 the Tories got 42% against Kinnock in 1992 41% against Kinnock in 1997 31% against Blair. Spot the difference?
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Pulpstar said:

Fair point, but we would do better to spend the £20bn on developing ways to store and re-use energy e.g. through Pumped-storage hydroelectricity etc.

Re the 70's I was there too with my powercut rota... my recollection is that it was Heath's* inept goverment that caused that - it's all in the eye of the beholder! :wink:

(*Although I still have arguments from time to time with people who think that the 3-day-week was under Wilson/Callaghan!)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I
    I mean fair enough to say that fat-cat bankers are leeches and should be expelled from our lives and the less influence they have the better.

But to deny that the UK had huge influence in setting the rules for european financial services is just bizarre.

Someone said to me, discussing MiFID II, that our leaving the EU would be great because we could ignore it.............
    It's only the financial services sector, only represents 10% of GDP, nothing to worry about, Leavers will tell us that sovereignty will make up for all those lost tax revenues.
  • Options
    PlankPlank Posts: 71
    If the header is right I wonder if it is worth backing the UK out of the EU by the end of March 2019?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

@PtP

Also, the idea that the Tories can simply change leader and press reset is delusional...the Tory brand is trashed again for a good decade, and maybe longer.
  • Options

One for Sunil perhaps?

I refuse to recognise the tube since the Circle Line stopped being a circle.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

It's only the financial services sector, only represents 10% of GDP, nothing to worry about, Leavers will tell us that sovereignty will make up for all those lost tax revenues.
    Yep - at least we will be taking back control of our own descent into abject poverty and 3rd world status! ('We' being politicians and bureaucrats in Westiminster rather than politicians and bureaucrats in Brussels, which will make it all feel much better I am sure!)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

There are more relevant ways you can get that across though.

You could ask, for example;

After the referendum we're leaving the European Union. Do you think this is the right decision? Etc.

I just think asking the old Remain/Leave question a year after we voted to leave is odd.
    But pollsters haven't 'just asked' that. Only a couple of days back we saw a survey on what people would be prepared to pay to retain the benefits of EU citizenship.

You might like neither the questions nor the answers.
    Feel free to pose your own.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@PtP

Also, the idea that the Tories can simply change leader and press reset is delusional...the Tory brand is trashed again for a good decade, and maybe longer.

The Tory brand which won 42% against Corbyn, the highest it has got since 1987? That Tory brand you mean?
  • Options

One for Sunil perhaps?

I refuse to recognise the tube since the Circle Line stopped being a circle.
    Ok the Circle line is not a circle but at least the Northern line is the most... er, southerly. :confounded:
  • Options
    I might have to finish my Times subscription......I cannot cope with the endless stories about the machinations of the Tory leadership. I stopped subscribing to the Guardian because the Corbyn/Blairite stuff got boring and repetitive....

These Tories are really horrible to each other and care far more for their ridiculous egos than they could ever care for the national interest....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Fair point, but we would do better to spend the £20bn on developing ways to store and re-use energy e.g. through Pumped-storage hydroelectricity etc.
    I did look into this some years ago and came to the conclusion that we would be better off with tidal generation than pumped storage. Someone did the calculations and we lack enough "storage space" in our hills. Direct tidal generation, river barriers and tidal pools offered more possibilities and are predictable and reliable.

Re the 70's I was there too with my powercut rota... my recollection is that it was Heath's* inept goverment that caused that - it's all in the eye of the beholder! :wink:

(*Although I still have arguments from time to time with people who think that the 3-day-week was under Wilson/Callaghan!)

My father was self-employed and I was at school at the time so my memories of the 3 day week are vague at best. I will never forget the power cuts or having to wait 6 months for BT to install our first phone. Ours was NOT a shared line and we felt like Gods and stared at it wondering who we could phone (and whether we could afford the call) :D
  • Options

Why limit yourself to the 70s, Mr.D ?
    Attlee/Churchill is an interesting instance.

And charisma is all very well, but if other positive qualities (judgment, for example) are entirely and obviously absent...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

Yep - at least we will be taking back control of our own descent into abject poverty and 3rd world status! ('We' being politicians and bureaucrats in Westiminster rather than politicians and bureaucrats in Brussels, which will make it all feel much better I am sure!)
    Yeah but those who get tumescent when whining about Jonnny Foreigner will be happy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Relative to May or Hammond he is.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    tyson said:

I might have to finish my Times subscription......I cannot cope with the endless stories about the machinations of the Tory leadership. I stopped subscribing to the Guardian because the Corbyn/Blairite stuff got boring and repetitive....

These Tories are really horrible to each other and care far more for their ridiculous egos than they could ever care for the national interest....

How do you stop subscribing to the Guardian? Not pay the voluntary 1.4x coffee per month donation?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Richard_H said:

Boris Johnson will be Tory leader and PM by the Tory party conference in October 2017 ! Michael Gove will be Chancellor, with Hammond sent to the back benches. Both of these are already in campaigning mode.

Theresa May does not have 100% support of her cabinet and will decide that the longer she stays the more damage will be done. Most senior Tories will be thinking the same and the sooner a new leader takes over, the more chance the Tories have of securing Brexit and winning the next election.

Gove wouldn't be credible given some of his previous comments
    If Gove ever made it to leader his honeymoon would end whilst he still had his clothes on.
    I agree.

The only thing less credible is @Richard_H suggestion of Gove as #2 to Boris...
    If I were to be provocative, I'd say Gove/Boris both regret how they behaved last year and think they'd have done a better job than May had they stuck together and won.

That may be influencing their behaviour today, because it looks like they're at least starting to bury the hatchet.
    Once said, it can not be unsaid.
    This is true, but Boris and Gove may have concluded that they both had a point about one another.

Politicians say ghastly things about each other all the time. If you were a political journalist, you'd be forgiven for thinking everyone in the cabinet/shadow cabinet hated everyone else.
    Yes but "unfit to be Prime Minister but I'm willing to serve under him" ain't going to fly
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The experience.

I Corbyn.

Trouble face.
    No even viable options

Yes, next time

The Labour left, which now controls the party, has made absolutely clear it does not want anti-Tory, anti-Brexit votes - only socialist ones. It has decided that this is what Labour got last month and has rejected centrists and moderates as a result. Their support is not needed. Thus, Labour will present a much more redistributive, anti-market manifesto to voters when the next election takes place. If the Tories have not made a complete pig's ear of Brexit - which I concede is a very big if given their current shambolic approach - they should approach the next election with a fair degree of confidence. They do have a major talent problem, though.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

One for Sunil perhaps?

I would say that there are seven tube lines: Bakerloo, Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria and Waterloo & City.

The Met, H&S, Circle and District lines are underground railways.

And what was the East London Line is now fully absorbed into the London Overground network which is very much a railway rather than a light rail system.
  • Options
    @BenPointer

I have very fond earlier memories of the three day week.....the candles coming out felt like camping, and it was wonderful having my dad at home....it was the only time I remember seeing him because he was working all the time....

Everyone had sod all then...I lived on hand me downs and a bag of crips was a treat....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

Yeah but those who get tumescent when whining about Jonnny Foreigner will be happy.
    They'll find someone else to blame for our self-inflicted troubles... the media, bankers, the Chinese, the Yanks, benefits scroungers, anyone!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited July 2017

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

that would be the sector that crashed the economy and had the biggest bail out ever ?

the sector everyone agrees is too big and distorts the economy ?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nige, @TheScreamingEagles has done this. There are many, many more.
    He's using examples of us arguing within the EU against the EU bringing in rules that would screw us in comparison to other members.

If we hadn't been inside we wouldn't have had to fight against the hostile rule changes that he lists.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

that would be the sector that crashed the economy and had the biggest bail out ever ?

The sector didn't crash the economy. You did. With all your borrowing and HD TVs and new Audis on the never never and your self-certifying mortgages.
  • Options
    calum said:

‪Cameron once again shows off his class by doing a favour to the woman who has quite frankly treated him like shit in the last year. ‬

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/881759572003827712

No doubt Dave's support will have come at a cost !
    Cui bono?

Not May

Cameron - yes, although a startling act of treachery to undercut your successor like that. Wouldn't show him in a good light

A rival for May's job - yes, but it would need to be someone who thinks they will win now but not in 2 years.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2017
    Charles said:

Yes but "unfit to be Prime Minister but I'm willing to serve under him" ain't going to fly

It seems to be almost ready for take-off for Labour.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tyson said:

How do you stop subscribing to the Guardian? Not pay the voluntary 1.4x coffee per month donation?
    I had the Guardian on my kindle for 9.99 a month....

To be honest I think I still pay it, but I get the Times delivered everyday now. I subscribe to the NY Times too
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Relative to May or Hammond he is.
    Dull Tory can beat left-wing ranter see Major v Kinnock but not charismatic moderate see Major v Blair
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

The sector didn't crash the economy. You did. With all your borrowing and HD TVs and new Audis on the never never and your self-certifying mortgages.
    lol

during the boom years I saved

but its always fun to watch the finance guys claim it's people fault and they never went a bit off the rails themselves

I wonder what all those billions of fines were for ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

The financial services sector is more than the banks, I believe Lloyds-HBOS have repaid their loans.

I wish you, like the SWP, would come up with decent ideas of growing the economy instead of castrating/reducing the financial services sector.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The experience.

I Corbyn.

Trouble face.
    No even viable options

Yes, next time

The Labour left, which now controls the party, has made absolutely clear it does not want anti-Tory, anti-Brexit votes - only socialist ones. It has decided that this is what Labour got last month and has rejected centrists and moderates as a result. Their support is not needed. Thus, Labour will present a much more redistributive, anti-market manifesto to voters when the next election takes place. If the Tories have not made a complete pig's ear of Brexit - which I concede is a very big if given their current shambolic approach - they should approach the next election with a fair degree of confidence. They do have a major talent problem, though.
    Sensible points
  • Options
    tyson said:

TOPPING said:

tyson said:

To be honest I think I still pay it, but I get the Times delivered everyday now. I subscribe to the NY Times too
    Murdoch lackey
  • Options
    Mr. City, true, I meant the broadcast media rather than print.

Mr. Eagles, it's damning with faint praise to claim a diplomatic triumph for Britain when we're given permission to actually have proper financial regulations that are stricter than an EU minimum. Such power. Such influence.

There are some genuine positives to being in the EU (economic, essentially). The mighty ability to sometimes have some influence over our own regulation is not one of them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I did look into this some years ago and came to the conclusion that we would be better off with tidal generation than pumped storage. Someone did the calculations and we lack enough "storage space" in our hills. Direct tidal generation, river barriers and tidal pools offered more possibilities and are predictable and reliable.

My father was self-employed and I was at school at the time so my memories of the 3 day week are vague at best. I will never forget the power cuts or having to wait 6 months for BT to install our first phone. Ours was NOT a shared line and we felt like Gods and stared at it wondering who we could phone (and whether we could afford the call) :D
    I remember homework by candlelight.
    And it was the Post Office the ran the telephone network in the 70s - BT didn't come into being until 1981.

As for the £20bn, this might be a worthwhile investment:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_Wind_Power_Hub
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323
    The Tories desperately need to reclaim the centre ground. Theresa's problem was that she was terrified that Jacob Rees-Mogg would defect to UKIP and so created an entire electoral strategy around aping Farage. This was as foolish as it was short sighted - the Kippers all voted for Corbyn anyway. Why a 'conservative' party thinks there's any benefit in mimicking Corbyn, UKIP and other manifestations of the far Left is beyond me. The Tories need to rediscover their purpose. The far Left is a crowded field and the Tories should just let UKIP, Corbyn and the Greens fight it out.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,995

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

Go to places like Barking... it feels like the 3rd World, & many are living in abject poverty to be able to fund the lifestyles of Westminster politicians and the like
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The experience.

I Corbyn.

Trouble face.
    No even viable options

Yes, next time

I think the only thing that will now stop Labour heading into power is replacing Corbyn with Abbott....

Whether you like it or not Brexit is driving the country in one direction....into the path of left wing populists....
  • Options

Mr. City, true, I meant the broadcast media rather than print.

Mr. Eagles, it's damning with faint praise to claim a diplomatic triumph for Britain when we're given permission to actually have proper financial regulations that are stricter than an EU minimum. Such power. Such influence.

There are some genuine positives to being in the EU (economic, essentially). The mighty ability to sometimes have some influence over our own regulation is not one of them.

You don't work in the financial services industry do you?

As I explained with clearing a few weeks ago, it is likely very possible that a UK institution, post Brexit, could accidentally bring to its knees a Eurozone institution.

Their currency, they want oversight rules.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,995
    edited July 2017
    "Detectives believe the weapons had been smuggled from eastern Europe to be sold to organised crime gangs in London. Two men Janusz Michek, 59, a Polish national, who was arrested at the scene, and Denis Kolencukov, 23, originally from the Czech Republic but living in Slough, were charged with conspiracy to possess firearms."

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/881818551908159489
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@acgrayling: Because, as one Chinese businessman said: 'The UK is the door to Europe. Without Europe it is the door to nowhere.' https://twitter.com/ukipnfkn/status/881656232628695041

This is exactly what I heard time and again the last time I was in China. The UK is a decent market, but on its own not one that is really worth a great deal of time and investment. Trump is driving the Chinese to the Europeans, while also giving them a big leadership role in Asia. Outside the EU if we want to trade with the Chinese it will be on the terms they set. Though, to be fair, that also applies to all other major and fast-growing economies.

• Options

tyson said:

TOPPING said:

tyson said:

Murdoch lackey
    I know...and I subscribe to SkySports too...the deal with the devil....
  • Options
    edited July 2017

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

The financial services sector is more than the banks, I believe Lloyds-HBOS have repaid their loans.

I wish you, like the SWP, would come up with decent ideas of growing the economy instead of castrating/reducing the financial services sector.
    Try housebuilding theres a start, were a bit short of them

and then some decent infrastructure like a sensible motorway networks and rail

and decent broadband

we could also revitalise manufacturing and onshore more of the stuff we need to cut our horrendous trade deficit

develop a few IT hubs to help pay our way and pump some cash into materials research and area were ratrher good at

there that should start you

however as the Bob Crow of the financial sector that might confuse you

from Red Robbo to Red shoed Robbo in a generation
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The experience.

I Corbyn.

Trouble face.
    No even viable options

Yes, next time

I think the only thing that will now stop Labour heading into power is replacing Corbyn with Abbott....

Whether you like it or not Brexit is driving the country in one direction....into the path of left wing populists....
    No Corbyn is the same anti austerity anti financial sector figure as Melenchon and Sanders, Brexit was anti immigration and pro sovereignty and Corbyn was indifferent to it
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,785
    edited July 2017

Pulpstar said:

Gas plus wind plus imported energy is the here and now answer. Because gas plants are cheap to install and economically viable when used intermittently you can still reduce overall greenhouse emissions. Nuclear power is inflexible, expensive and risky. You can make a case with one of those disadvantages, but not two, let alone three.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

The Tories desperately need to reclaim the centre ground. Theresa's problem was that she was terrified that Jacob Rees-Mogg would defect to UKIP and so created an entire electoral strategy around aping Farage. This was as foolish as it was short sighted - the Kippers all voted for Corbyn anyway. Why a 'conservative' party thinks there's any benefit in mimicking Corbyn, UKIP and other manifestations of the far Left is beyond me. The Tories need to rediscover their purpose. The far Left is a crowded field and the Tories should just let UKIP, Corbyn and the Greens fight it out.

The Conservatives are depressingly centre ground right now.

Brexit was forced upon them so that doesn't count. They've dropped any truly radical policies - sorting out long term healthcare, grammar schools etc. I can't think of a single strong initiative.

Reclaim the centre ground? You can't be serious. They've built a huge ugly multi-storey car park in the middle of the centre ground for all their broken tanks.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Details here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Day_Week

Note what the ensuing Labour government paid the miners - two consecutive 35% pay rises.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@BenPointer

I have very fond earlier memories of the three day week.....the candles coming out felt like camping, and it was wonderful having my dad at home....it was the only time I remember seeing him because he was working all the time....

Everyone had sod all then...I lived on hand me downs and a bag of crips was a treat....

Heath was not popular with many regarding making the TV broadcasters shut down at 1030 pm.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

lol

but its always fun to watch the finance guys claim it's people fault and they never went a bit off the rails themselves

Look on it as a tripartite arrangement. The bankers were wrong, the governments were wrong, and you, sunshine, although not you personally who put money into a leaky roof fund, but otherwise, generally, for normal people, you were wrong.

All three elements.

And it's difficult to put people in jail for bad business strategy although some of the mortgage bundling was definitely on the borderline, most fines were for fraud relating to TARP funds.
  • Options

Charles said:

Personal credibility matters less to them!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,993
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

Go to places like Barking... it feels like the 3rd World, & many are living in abject poverty to be able to fund the lifestyles of Westminster politicians and the like
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5407282,0.0880255,122a,35y,292.31h,44.99t/data=!3m1!1e3

Sheds seem very popular for some reason in Barking..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,952

I think Kippers from 2015 split about 60/40 in favour of the Conservatives/Labour. That was certainly closer than expected. The Conservatives' manifesto was mainly centrist, albeit dismal.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

lol

Shakedown :lol:
  • Options
    Given that EU membership has destroyed one political career after another, one might almost think that we are a bad fit for the organisation.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

I

Barking is a very odd place. Redevelopment seems to have moved the town centre to the west. My impression last time I was there after a long period away was that you could do a lot of walking without appearing to get anywhere. Even its posh streets now look shabby. Most of the jobs in Dagenham (not just Ford) have gone.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Charles said:

To be followed by crash landing if it gets airborne.
  • Options

Try housebuilding theres a start, were a bit short of them

and then some decent infrastructure like a sensible motorway networks and rail

and decent broadband

we could also revitalise manufacturing and onshore more of the stuff we need to cut our horrendous trade deficit

develop a few IT hubs to help pay our way and pump some cash into materials research and area were ratrher good at

there that should start you

however as the Bob Crow of the financial sector that might confuse you

from Red Robbo to Red shoed Robbo in a generation

Unfortunately Brexit has put the kibosh on a lot of that, PBers were warned

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/13/guest-slot-the-impact-of-leaving-the-eu-on-londons-technology-start-up-scene/
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Any PM announcing when they will step down becomes a lame duck from that moment.

Think Blair, Cameron and the second term US Presidents.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

GIN1138 said:

have no ability to influence. Yet, in order to gain access to their market, we will have to follow and implement their rules.
    I

tax revenues.

lol

Look on it as a tripartite arrangement. The bankers were wrong, the governments were wrong, and you, sunshine, although not you personally who put money into a leaky roof fund, but otherwise, generally, for normal people, you were wrong.

All three elements.

And it's difficult to put people in jail for bad business strategy although some of the mortgage bundling was definitely on the borderline, most fines were for fraud relating to TARP funds.
    we'll of course Im glad you recognise my upbeat sunshiny nature, but lets face it if the brakes were taken off , the financial services sector today would just go off and do it all over again
  • Options
    Pay rises are a negotiation.

By Gove and Johnson campaigning to give pay increases to the public sector weakens the Chancellrs negotiating position - and ai at time when the country has a massive deficit.

There is no money left. How many public sector workers will need to be sacked to pay for the increased salaries of those remaining?

Admittedly we need improved productivity in public and private sectors. But pay rises should follow increased productivity - not whim.
  • Options

By Gove and Johnson campaigning to give pay increases to the public sector weakens the Chancellrs negotiating position - and ai at time when the country has a massive deficit.

There is no money left. How many public sector workers will need to be sacked to pay for the increased salaries of those remaining?

Admittedly we need improved productivity in public and private sectors. But pay rises should follow increased productivity - not whim.

Improving public finances probably give the government some room for manouvere.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Public sector pay could at least rise in line with average pay even if not in line with inflation after years of public sector pay caps
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

The Conservatives are depressingly centre ground right now.

Brexit was forced upon them so that doesn't count. They've dropped any truly radical policies - sorting out long term healthcare, grammar schools etc. I can't think of a single strong initiative.

Reclaim the centre ground? You can't be serious. They've built a huge ugly multi-storey car park in the middle of the centre ground for all their broken tanks.
    Maybe they could get more radical if the conservative membership had some influence.At the moment they are twisting and turning to whatever the current leadership says , which changes daily including Milliband ideas and even parts of Corbyn agenda.Surely they have some think tanks of their own .They are the most pragmatic successful party but to be a member must be more like religious faith.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, I'd have more sympathy with that line on pay if the public sector had pay cuts when the private sector does, or had comparable pensions and job security.

I'm not saying a pay rise above 1% (on average, across the board) is necessarily the wrong move, just responding to the suggestion public sector pay should rise with private sector pay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Public sector pay could at least rise in line with average pay even if not in line with inflation after years of public sector pay caps
    Pay rises can only be justified by increased performance. This might be better quality of work, wider skills or improved productivity but not just because of inflation or somebody else's pay increase umless necessary because of market forces.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Improving public finances probably give the government some room for manouvere.

Breaching the pay cap worsens public finances.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The experience.

I Corbyn.

Trouble face.
    No even viable options

Yes, next time

The talent problem, though.

Given the absolute shambles the government is making of Brexit and the paucity of Tory talent out there (Raab, really??), it is a possibility. But I am afraid I struggle with the idea that if the Tories get their act together constituencies that voted Tory in 2015 and 2017 are suddenly going to embrace the kind of populist socialism advocated by those who now control the Labour party. This country has never swung behind the left in that way before. The utter uselessness of Boris & co might persuade it to, but I am far from convinced.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @matt_dathan: The latest Labour reshuffle is about to start.
    Several junior ministerial jobs vacant, especially in the home affairs team.
    Fire up Google..
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Given the absolute shambles the government is making of Brexit and the paucity of Tory talent out there (Raab, really??), it is a possibility. But I am afraid I struggle with the idea that if the Tories get their act together constituencies that voted Tory in 2015 and 2017 are suddenly going to embrace the kind of populist socialism advocated by those who now control the Labour party. This country has never swung behind the left in that way before. The utter uselessness of Boris & co might persuade it to, but I am far from convinced.

The Conservatives will be extremely vulnerable at the next election if Labour offers an alternative government-in-waiting. But that doesn't look even remotely likely at the moment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pay rises can only be justified by increased performance. This might be better quality of work, wider skills or improved productivity but not just because of inflation or somebody else's pay increase umless necessary because of market forces.
    We need teachers, doctors, police, nurses etc and if we don't pay them even in line with average wages we won't get them end of.
This discussion has been closed.