Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB is pinning its hopes on by-elections in CON held seats

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB is pinning its hopes on by-elections in CON held seats then history is not on its side

There is a lot of hope on the Labour side that the small CON working majority with the DUP could be cut as result of a by-election loss.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Who knew eating babies was good for you? .... clearly the Conservatives .. :smile:
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    Nigelb said:
    Hilarious. Nemesis will soon be creeping up on him.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    All of which means that we should be expecting this government to endure rather than collapse early.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    Yup, although Craig Mackinlay has his first court appearance next week.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Typo said:

Nigelb said:
    He's lost four ministers already. I think a big problem is that most En Marche Deputies are new to politics. Some will fall victim to scandals, some will discover that they hate political life and leave as soon as they can, and others will turn out to be weirdos.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Why does the OP say "to make a point the purpose of which has long since been forgotten"? It's discussed on here pretty regularly.

It's almost as though an attempt is being made to start a false narrative.
  • Options
    Typo said:

Nigelb said:
    That's the problem with these messianic figures - they're often just very naughty boys.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    And oh, Corbyn's stance on Brexit makes me even more glad that I didn't Labour at the GE.

FPT

Some of the Right on here are just weird today, for several reasons. Some PBers are obsessed with Trump visiting France for Bastille Day. I didn't like Trump's state visit here, but even I wasn't mentioning it with the frequency some on this site are in regard to the Bastille Day visit. If you really, really don't like Leftie thoughts on Trump you don't have to read them :smile: But if anyone believes that it's only people on the Left who don't like Trump and think badly of his character you really ought to check out what Pew research found about how Trump is seen globally. The results were released a couple of days ago.

As for Merkel, anyone who knows a bit about her has known her views on gay marriage - she's never made a secret of it, so I wasn't surprised to see how she voted, but I simply don't agree with her. I never thought TMay was some sort of terrible homophobe (though I know a few who think she is judging by her voting record previously). There are many things to be critical of May on, but it's not on her recent voting record on LGBT rights - Lynne Feathersone has spoken of the importance of TMay's backing in regard to gay marriage becoming a reality. In this regard she is better than Hammond, although I think he would be better suited to deal with Brexit than her.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

All of which means that we should be expecting this government to endure rather than collapse early.

Maybe it depends on how long it takes before a Brexit issue that the DUP, Clarke/Soubry and Headbangers feel strongly and differently about.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I like Macron but LOL what is this. On this, he's a bit of mess.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130

And oh, Corbyn's stance on Brexit makes me even more glad that I didn't Labour at the GE.

FPT

Some of the Right on here are just weird today, for several reasons. Some PBers are obsessed with Trump visiting France for Bastille Day. I didn't like Trump's state visit here, but even I wasn't mentioning it with the frequency some on this site are in regard to the Bastille Day visit. If you really, really don't like Leftie thoughts on Trump you don't have to read them :smile: But if anyone believes that it's only people on the Left who don't like Trump and think badly of his character you really ought to check out what Pew research found about how Trump is seen globally. The results were released a couple of days ago.

As for Merkel, anyone who knows a bit about her has known her views on gay marriage - she's never made a secret of it, so I wasn't surprised to see how she voted, but I simply don't agree with her. I never thought TMay was some sort of terrible homophobe (though I know a few who think she is judging by her voting record previously). There are many things to be critical of May on, but it's not on her recent voting record on LGBT rights - Lynne Feathersone has spoken of the importance of TMay's backing in regard to gay marriage becoming a reality. In this regard she is better than Hammond, although I think he would be better suited to deal with Brexit than her.

Not just outside the US either, Sanders leads Trump by 10% in the latest PPP poll for 2020, which is a bigger lead than Corbyn has over May
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FPT

Not just outside the US either, Sanders leads Trump by 10% in the latest PPP poll for 2020, which is a bigger lead than Corbyn has over May
    Probably because Trump is much worse than May and Sanders is better than Corbyn (in regard to his politics....). I don't likeTMay as a PM but I see no evidence that her character is particularly bad, unlike with Trump. On Sanders though, well despite him not being hard Left like Corbyn I don't know whether the Dems should go there
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/bernie-and-jane-sanders-under-fbi-investigation-for-bank-fraud-hire-lawyers/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Depends to some extent, of course, on how the Party Conference season goes.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter a damn whether or not "history" is on the side of there being by-elections in Tory seats due to death or ill health. The only thing that matters is an actuarial calculation based on a group of people of about the age and state of health of the Conservative MPs now in Parliament.

It's an interesting bit of trivia that only one by-election since 2001 has been caused by a Conservative's death whereas there have been 15 for Labour. But it is just that - trivia. It has no bearing on likelihood over the next five years.

I'm also not wholly sure why Mike has excluded Jo Cox. Particularly tragic though her death was due to the awful circumstances, an actuarial calculation of the likelihood of deaths occurring would include deaths not related to existing ill health (murder, suicide, vehicle accidents, auto-erotic asphyxiation etc). That isn't to wish it on anyone - any more than it would be to wish cancer or heart disease on people - but it's a fact that people do die in such ways.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

It's 2010 all over again- "won't last the summer!" "Autumn GE for sure" "No later than October" "Have we had a November GE before?" "Dave shops at Morrisons" "Omnishambles Budget" "Man cries at Funeral" and so on.....revealing how it's not yet the "dead woman walking" whose lost ministers....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

FPT

Probably because Trump is much worse than May and Sanders is better than Corbyn (in regard to his politics....). I don't likeTMay as a PM but I see no evidence that her character is particularly bad, unlike with Trump. On Sanders though, well despite him not being hard Left like Corbyn I don't know whether the Dems should go there
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/bernie-and-jane-sanders-under-fbi-investigation-for-bank-fraud-hire-lawyers/
    The investigation mainly relates to his wife and was initiated by a Trump backer but given the number of investigations against Trump I doubt it would make much difference to the general election, in any case if not Sanders the Dems will likely pick Warren who also led Trump in the same poll, albeit by a smaller 3% margin
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Possibly next May's elections. Tories could very well lose every Council in London.
  • Options
    Actuarially it is more likely that Lab will have a by-election as they have more older MPs.

Oldest MPs are as follows (by year of birth)

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1940 Cash (Con), Clarke (Con), Sheerman (Lab)
    1941 Cunningham (Lab), Hopkins (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1943 Beckett (Lab), Cable (LD), Campbell (Lab), Gale (Con)
    1944 G. Davies (Con), Bottomley (Con), Hodge (Lab)
    1945 Ellman (Lab), Bailey (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

So of the 30 oldest MPs, 22 are Lab, 7 Con, 1 LD
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Typo said:

Nigelb said:
    He's in danger of beleiving his own hype.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Actuarially it is more likely that Lab will have a by-election as they have more older MPs.

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

Not just age, but how marginal a seat actually is e.g. Cash going, Tories will still win that seat with a donkey standing.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

It doesn't matter a damn whether or not "history" is on the side of there being by-elections in Tory seats due to death or ill health. The only thing that matters is an actuarial calculation based on a group of people of about the age and state of health of the Conservative MPs now in Parliament.

It's an interesting bit of trivia that only one by-election since 2001 has been caused by a Conservative's death whereas there have been 15 for Labour. But it is just that - trivia. It has no bearing on likelihood over the next five years.

I'm also not wholly sure why Mike has excluded Jo Cox. Particularly tragic though her death was due to the awful circumstances, an actuarial calculation of the likelihood of deaths occurring would include deaths not related to existing ill health (murder, suicide, vehicle accidents, auto-erotic asphyxiation etc). That isn't to wish it on anyone - any more than it would be to wish cancer or heart disease on people - but it's a fact that people do die in such ways.

With respect, that is all wrong. The simplest way to ensure that we are doing a (quick and dirty) study of "a group of people of about the age and state of health of the Conservative MPs now in Parliament" is to study a cohort of Conservative MPs who were very recently in Parliament. Given the fairly generous and very roughly equal sample sizes of Lab and Con MPs since 2001, it is intuitively obvious that a 15:1 discrepancy is highly unlikely to be trivial or coincidental. Indeed there are good reasons to expect Conservative MPs to die less frequently than Labour ones because voluntary health reforms like not smoking and drinking less tend to start at the top, socio-economically, and filter down. The hope and expectation is that such reforms have now filtered down and that deaths will therefore equalize because fewer Lab MPs die, not because more Tories do.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

With respect, that is all wrong. The simplest way to ensure that we are doing a (quick and dirty) study of "a group of people of about the age and state of health of the Conservative MPs now in Parliament" is to study a cohort of Conservative MPs who were very recently in Parliament. Given the fairly generous and very roughly equal sample sizes of Lab and Con MPs since 2001, it is intuitively obvious that a 15:1 discrepancy is highly unlikely to be trivial or coincidental. Indeed there are good reasons to expect Conservative MPs to die less frequently than Labour ones because voluntary health reforms like not smoking and drinking less tend to start at the top, socio-economically, and filter down. The hope and expectation is that such reforms have now filtered down and that deaths will therefore equalize because fewer Lab MPs die, not because more Tories do.
    Also the simple fact as we can see from the numbers, for whatever reason, Labour MPs seem to go on longer in the house than Tory MPs. Maybe they need the money more, or whatever.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411
    I love the map on the previous thread - one can walk from just south of Edinburgh all the way down to Cornwall without entering SJW Labour territory.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited June 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

That's a bit silly. You talk as if most Labour MPs are downtrodden working class paupers. Nothing could be further from the truth these days, though there just about remains a small, fast vanishing seam of older members like Skinner who date from the days when that was more the case.

I suspect the numbers Mike has posted primarily reflect the fact that a very large number of crusty old Tory MPs either lost their seats or stood down in 1997 and that the majority of their current parliamentary party was first elected in 2010 or later. The Tories had below 200 MPs between 1997 and 2010, and much less than half Labour's total from 1997 to 2005, so that is also a factor.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Possibly next May's elections. Tories could very well lose every Council in London.
    Labour led by 22% in London on June 8th. Even with that lead, the Conservatives would have held Barnet, Havering, Bexley, Kensington & Chelsea, and Bromley.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Scott_P said:
    This will delight Remainers who voted Labour. Vince could mop up here if he's smart.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

I love the map on the previous thread - one can walk from just south of Edinburgh all the way down to Cornwall without entering SJW Labour territory.

Yebbut, Labour have Crewe and York. :wink:
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Do Con MPs get better nutrition than Labour MPs ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Sean_F said:

alex. said:

Labour led by 22% in London on June 8th. Even with that lead, the Conservatives would have held Barnet, Havering, Bexley, Kensington & Chelsea, and Bromley.
    I think even K&C's greatest admirers may have been having a few qualms lately, not about the fire so much as the subsequent hnadling of it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Aren't we expecting a Maidenhead by-election in the autumn?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

Not just age, but how marginal a seat actually is e.g. Cash going, Tories will still win that seat with a donkey standing.
    Like Canterbury, you mean.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

I wonder what the equivalent list of PB's oldest posters would look like. Any challengers to Jack W being born in thetime of Queen Victoria and top of the table?
  • Options

Aren't we expecting a Maidenhead by-election in the autumn?

Mrs May is made of sterner stuff than the posh boys...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

alex. said:

I think even K&C's greatest admirers may have been having a few qualms lately, not about the fire so much as the subsequent hnadling of it.
    I think they'll struggle to hold it now.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,335
    edited June 2017

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

I wonder what the equivalent list of PB's oldest posters would look like. Any challengers to Jack W being born in thetime of Queen Victoria and top of the table?
    Ooh, I think Jack's well before Victoria. You are probably talking more of Bonnie Prince Charlie, or earlier.

Mike and I are pretty ancient too, despite all appearances to the contrary.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

Whilst I'm hesitant to take a crown off one of PB's most treasured posters, I was born in 1781:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josias_Jessop
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

ITYM "without leaving Conservative territory". You could walk all the way from Land's End to John O'Groats without entering a Labour-held constituency.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

That's simply not correct.

A sample of a few dozen MPs over a few years is nowhere near as good as an actuarial sample of many thousands of people of comparable people over a longer period.

I'd also just say go through the lists of MPs who have died and the circumstances. A handful were over 70 where the risk is higher regardless of state of health. Most were in their 40s, 50s and 60s, however, where to die is (bluntly) very unlucky. Some were smokers, some were drinkers (one a very heavy drinker) but most were just unlucky. And, while it may or may not be true that Tory MPs on average have healthy lifestyles, that's hardly a universal truth, while there are plenty of ways to die which are either not influenced by lifestyle or influenced only to a small degree.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

That's a bit silly. You talk as if most Labour MPs are downtrodden working class paupers. Nothing could be further from the truth these days, though there just about remains a small, fast vanishing seam of older members like Skinner who date from the days when that was more the case.

I suspect the numbers Mike has posted primarily reflect the fact that a very large number of crusty old Tory MPs either lost their seats or stood down in 1997 and that the majority of their current parliamentary party was first elected in 2010 or later. The Tories had below 200 MPs between 1997 and 2010, and much less than half Labour's total from 1997 to 2005, so that is also a factor.

It isn't a bit silly, actually; I was talking about the cohort of Lab MPs of whom 15 have died since 2001, who were undoubtedly of lower socio-economic status than their tory counterparts (which does not of course entail them being "downtrodden working class paupers"); and I expressly said that we should expect the gap to close, so why you think that saying that the gap is closing is a point against me, I have no idea.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yep, all those sour grapes are bad for the reds, not to mention the chips on their shoulders.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Jason said:

Scott_P said:
    This will delight Remainers who voted Labour. Vince could mop up here if he's smart.
    Lab/Con is the only game in town these days.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

That's simply not correct.

A sample of a few dozen MPs over a few years is nowhere near as good as an actuarial sample of many thousands of people of comparable people over a longer period.

I'd also just say go through the lists of MPs who have died and the circumstances. A handful were over 70 where the risk is higher regardless of state of health. Most were in their 40s, 50s and 60s, however, where to die is (bluntly) very unlucky. Some were smokers, some were drinkers (one a very heavy drinker) but most were just unlucky. And, while it may or may not be true that Tory MPs on average have healthy lifestyles, that's hardly a universal truth, while there are plenty of ways to die which are either not influenced by lifestyle or influenced only to a small degree.

I didn't say an actuarial study would not be even better, but who is going to commission one for the sake of a Friday afternoon PB thread? What I did say was that the figures were probably meaningful, not "trivia" as you said they were.

"Most were just unlucky" is begging the question in spades redoubled.

• Options

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

Whilst I'm hesitant to take a crown off one of PB's most treasured posters, I was born in 1781:
    Surely Jack W remembers both the '15 and the '45, though - which makes you a relative stripling.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Yep, all those sour grapes are bad for the reds, not to mention the chips on their shoulders.
    The more balanced among them have a chip on both shoulders.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2017

Also the simple fact as we can see from the numbers, for whatever reason, Labour MPs seem to go on longer in the house than Tory MPs. Maybe they need the money more, or whatever.

Isn't it simply that a large Labour cohort entered parliament in 1997, whereas current Tory MPs are much more likely to have entered parliament in 2010 or 2015?
  • Options

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

That's remarkable, Josias. You don't happen to be a member of the venerable association of Holy Friars by any chance?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited June 2017
    This government will not voluntarily agree to an early GE, even if the polls show them with a healthy lead. Nor will they be forced to by attrition. Nor will Mrs May stand down or be forced to until after March 2019.

So when will the next GE be? I think it will be either 2019 or 2022.

Either the game of Brexit poker will go the wire and will end up with the UK folding. This will mean continued large contributions, ECJ jurisdiction and with a long transitional period of free movement and no independent free trade. This will split the Tory party.

Or the game of Brexit poker will go the wire and will end up with the UK tumbling out to WTO rules and massive economic disruption. This will also split the Tory party.

So could the Tory party struggle on to 2022 or is it inevitable that it will fall in 2019?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

It's a good little jibe, but the truth is that Canterbury required a 9% swing, whereas Stone requires one TWICE that.

I agree nothing is impossible in the wacky world of by-elections, but the Tories would obviously start such a contest as the heaviest of favourites (and I wish Bill Cash nothing but decades of good health of course).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Another day, another 2 editions of the Standard with Westminster headlines. Deres more to London dan dis #bubble
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Dadge said:

Jason said:

Scott_P said:
    Well as we all know, things can change very quickly. Cable has ten times the ability the hapless Fishfinger ever had. We'll see.
  • Options

Isn't it simply that a large Labour cohort entered parliament in 1997, whereas current Tory MPs are much more likely to have entered parliament in 2010 or 2015?
    I think also that Tory associations are more likely to push out MPs who are seen as going on too long e.g. as was supposed to have happened with Sir Alan Haselhurst in Saffron Walden.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:
    LOL. Labour Remainers should be in face palm mode right now.
    Imagine hailing Corbyn as the messiah and having Nigel Farage and Dan Hannan praise him. Oh dear.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:
    Imagine hailing Corbyn as the messiah and having Nigel Farage and Dan Hannan praise him. Oh dear.
    Just because Farage approves of a pint of beer, doesn't mean beer is not a good thing.

Corbyn is leading Labour well over Brexit.
  • Options
    Call me morbid, but I'd already had a look how old the oldest Tory MPs were (and how marginal their seats are) a couple of weeks ago. And apart from lovely old KC it's slim pickings. So the minority government is likely to survive. I suppose (or hope) that tacit alliances will form between some Tories and some members of other parties that'll force the government to act out of character, enabling the gradual end of Austerity, for example. So it'll be less of a Theresa May government and more of a Heidi Allen government. If this gets too ridiculous, most Tories will start champing at the bit for another election. If I were Corbyn I'd try to suppress Labour's poll ratings, eg. by getting Umunna to rebel against me over Brexit, to lull the Tories into thinking they should have a snap election...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Jason said:

Dadge said:

Jason said:

Scott_P said:
    Well as we all know, things can change very quickly. Cable has ten times the ability the hapless Fishfinger ever had. We'll see.
    I dont think so. Farron is not good on TV, but his energy, enthusiasm and cult of pavement politics was what the party needed. Vince may be better on Media and Westminster, but will not put in the effort elsewhere.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Barnesian said:

This government will not voluntarily agree to an early GE, even if the polls show them with a healthy lead. Nor will they be forced to by attrition. Nor will Mrs May stand down or be forced to until after March 2019.

Either the game of Brexit poker will go the wire and will end up with the UK folding. This will mean continued large contributions, ECJ jurisdiction and with a long transitional period of free movement and no independent free trade. This will split the Tory party.

Or the game of Brexit poker will go the wire and will end up with the UK tumbling out to WTO rules and massive economic disruption. This will also split the Tory party.

So could the Tory party struggle on to 2022 or is it inevitable that it will fall in 2019?

It's not a game of poker. The Brexiteers will have a lot of time to mull over the interim conclusions that will be reached in Q4 2017 as a prerequisite of starting trade talks. I think they will grumble and accept the above IF ECJ jurisdiction is time-limited.

Having got this close to the prize, I think Remainers are vastly overestimating the likelihood that Brexiteer Tory MPs will rebel if it endangers Brexit itself.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:
    Just because Farage approves of a pint of beer, doesn't mean beer is not a good thing.

Beer tastes awful.

Corbyn's position on Brexit has split the party. He's as much an architect of the project as Hannan and Farage were. He knew what he as doing during EUref. I find it hard to understand how you can dislike Vince so much but like Corbyn so much. Vince is much more closer to an liberal, internationalist, open Britain world view than Corbyn is, that's for sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Chuka.....'conflicting opportunisms...vanity amendment'

What was Chuka Umunna’s quelled backbench rebellion all about? It wasn’t, certainly, about a principled position on single market membership, as he suggested in these pages. He had previously argued that Britain should be prepared to leave the single market in order to have a populist crackdown on immigration.

But like many on the Labour Right, Umunna is skewered between conflicting opportunisms.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/the-chuka-amendment-would-have-hindered-labour-on-brexit
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    RoyalBlue said:

It's not a game of poker. The Brexiteers will have a lot of time to mull over the interim conclusions that will be reached in Q4 2017 as a prerequisite of starting trade talks. I think they will grumble and accept the above IF ECJ jurisdiction is time-limited.

Having got this close to the prize, I think Remainers are vastly overestimating the likelihood that Brexiteer Tory MPs will rebel if it endangers Brexit itself.

Almost nothing that happens in the negotiations with the EU would convince Brexiteer Tory MPs that they are wrong. On the other hand, what happens in talks with the US and other countries possibly would.

I understand why Fox feels he needs to make a show about starting talks with the US next month, but it's a high-risk approach.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "What a growing proportion of voters want is ‘change’ and a good many will vote for change regardless of what sort of change is being offered. In the USA, the Corbynesque Bernie Sanders almost beat Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination, and Clinton was herself eventually vanquished by the anti-establishment candidate of the right. In France the presidential run-off was between two self-proclaimed anti-establishment candidates. Italy is heading in a similar direction. Poland and Hungary are already there."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/jeremy-corbyn-represents-change-and-for-many-thats-enough/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Beer tastes awful.

Corbyn's position on Brexit has split the party. He's as much an architect of the project as Hannan and Farage were. He knew what he as doing during EUref. I find it hard to understand how you can dislike Vince so much but like Corbyn so much. Vince is much more closer to an liberal, internationalist, open Britain world view than Corbyn is, that's for sure.
    I takes a lifetimes practice to really enjoy a good pint of beer.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

I wonder how many PB regulars have lived in the reign of more than one British monarch (apart from JackW, of course). I am old enough to have been alive when the death penalty was carried out in the UK, but only by a months. I guess I am one of the older posters.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Call off the search party, we've found the story of the day ... https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/880794304880533504
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

Born in the time of Queen Anne, I think, and a loyal Jacobite.
  • Options

It's 2010 all over again- "won't last the summer!" "Autumn GE for sure" "No later than October" "Have we had a November GE before?" "Dave shops at Morrisons" "Omnishambles Budget" "Man cries at Funeral" and so on.....revealing how it's not yet the "dead woman walking" whose lost ministers....
    It's not 2010 all over again, the coalition had quite a big majority and no contentious Brexit negotiations to face.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Call me morbid, but I'd already had a look how old the oldest Tory MPs were (and how marginal their seats are) a couple of weeks ago. And apart from lovely old KC it's slim pickings. So the minority government is likely to survive. I suppose (or hope) that tacit alliances will form between some Tories and some members of other parties that'll force the government to act out of character, enabling the gradual end of Austerity, for example. So it'll be less of a Theresa May government and more of a Heidi Allen government. If this gets too ridiculous, most Tories will start champing at the bit for another election. If I were Corbyn I'd try to suppress Labour's poll ratings, eg. by getting Umunna to rebel against me over Brexit, to lull the Tories into thinking they should have a snap election...

Just been talking to our local, Tory, MP a Cabinet Minister. I don’t know who she thinks I am but she opined quietly that Corbyn could be PM in a few months. I said that the Tories would have to split for that to happen, and the Tory Party hadn’t done so for 150 years and she said that nevertheless......
  • Options

What was Chuka Umunna’s quelled backbench rebellion all about? It wasn’t, certainly, about a principled position on single market membership, as he suggested in these pages. He had previously argued that Britain should be prepared to leave the single market in order to have a populist crackdown on immigration.

But like many on the Labour Right, Umunna is skewered between conflicting opportunisms.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/the-chuka-amendment-would-have-hindered-labour-on-brexit

Otherwise known as Chuka being Chuka...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    RoyalBlue said:

Barnesian said:

If you are right then the next GE will be in 2022. A lot can happen between now and then.
    The dust will be settling on Brexit, and there will be three new Party leaders. Trump will have gone and Warren will be President and we'll all be five years older and probably none the wiser. It will be a brave new world.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    surbiton said:

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

There ain't no uni or metropolitan types and few remainers thinking Jezza will save them in Cash's constituency. In GE, he increased his vote share by more than Labour (and Labour were starting from a very low base). So as usual, you are talking nonsense.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Call off the search party, we've found the story of the day ... https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/880794304880533504

George mending bridges for Coalition II in the future?
    Or just kids rebelling?
  • Options

It's not 2010 all over again
    We'll see.......

Talking of being morbid, we know some MPs are currently being treated for, or in remission from, cancer - some of which are more amenable to treatment than others.....
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

:+1:
  • Options

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

I wonder how many PB regulars have lived in the reign of more than one British monarch (apart from JackW, of course). I am old enough to have been alive when the death penalty was carried out in the UK, but only by a months. I guess I am one of the older posters.

As posted previously I can recall my parents discussing for whom they intended to vote in the 1945 GE.
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited June 2017

No bearing unless it's the consequence of a deliberate and continuing policy in MP selection.

Analogously, Labour has never elected a female leader. So is this is a good indicator that they never will? It may be. If women Labour MPs are in the HoC mainly because they are women rather than because they are competent, first there will be few of them who will be impressive MPs, because they don't have to look so to become one. Second, men have had to do more to get a seat because quotas operate against rather than for them, so they would tend to be better than otherwise.

In leadership contests you thus end up with poor female candidates who always lose to more plausible men. Diane Abbott could only become an MP with quotas in her favour.

When Andy Burnham said Labour would have a female leader "when the time is right", he spoke truth. The "right" time is when Labour MPs are selected meritocratically, so that talented women get through and ahead on merit. That is some way in the future for Labour.

I don't know what mechanism might operate within Labour to ensure that ageing and ill MPs keep their seats into their decrepitude. But if there is one then unless there's evidence it has fallen by the wayside we should probably assume the chart above to be a reasonably accurate guide to the future, recognising the small sample size.
  • Options

Dadge said:

Just been talking to our local, Tory, MP a Cabinet Minister. I don’t know who she thinks I am but she opined quietly that Corbyn could be PM in a few months. I said that the Tories would have to split for that to happen, and the Tory Party hadn’t done so for 150 years and she said that nevertheless......
    Wahay! If you trust said confidence, OKC, you are in a great position to clean up the appropriate markets.

Now, how much do you trust this person?!
  • Options
    Wait, was JackW really born in the lifetime of Queen Victoria?
  • Options

Dadge said:

So, where do you live?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    edited June 2017

Only if you think he is 116 (or older) :-)

• Options

Dadge said:

Wahay! If you trust said confidence, OKC, you are in a great position to clean up the appropriate markets.

TBH, not an enormous amount. I’m always bemused that she seems to treat me as an ally, supporter or something.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited June 2017

Dadge said:

This feels implausible to me. Even Heidi Allen thinks a Corbyn premiership would be an utter disaster. The party will not facilitate it.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Scott_P said:

He is 7 out of 10 was the correct score for the EU, the split I guess in the wider party was , 70 remain 30 leave , he is keeping that fragile coalition called the Labour Party together and working with reality that we are leaving .The vote for Corbyn is wider and deeper than Brexit it is change from incremental austerity that lasts a generation.
  • Options
    If you hate austerity, why would you want a Hard Brexit?
  • Options

Dadge said:

TBH, not an enormous amount. I’m always bemused that she seems to treat me as an ally, supporter or something.
    Caveat emptor, OKC, caveat indeed!
  • Options

Becuase then you are free to actually properly encat socialist policies like nationalisation.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"What a growing proportion of voters want is ‘change’ and a good many will vote for change regardless of what sort of change is being offered. In the USA, the Corbynesque Bernie Sanders almost beat Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination, and Clinton was herself eventually vanquished by the anti-establishment candidate of the right. In France the presidential run-off was between two self-proclaimed anti-establishment candidates. Italy is heading in a similar direction. Poland and Hungary are already there."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/jeremy-corbyn-represents-change-and-for-many-thats-enough/

Plenty of overgeneralisation there. If people want change they want it for a reason. And there isn't an international wave of changemindedness going on. Hard to spot it in Germany, for example. And it's lazy to lump Hungary in with his examples. Orban was the new kid on the block in 1998 but you could hardly say that about him now. If the opposition hadn't gone awol for the last six years people would see him as the establishment figure he really is nowadays.

Ah, Liddle. Say no more. Hackwork.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

You do not but access to the single market will be the aim of the deal.Define what you mean by Hard Brexit ?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Yorkcity said:

You do not but access to the single market will be the aim of the deal.Define what you mean by Hard Brexit ?
    This is the current best definition.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,277
    edited June 2017

Only if you think he is 116 (or older) :-)

More implausibly, you must also think he is 198 or younger.
  • Options

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

As posted previously I can recall my parents discussing for whom they intended to vote in the 1945 GE.
    That's pretty impressive.

I was born the same year as the NHS. I have a nasty feeling I might die in the same year as it too.
  • Options

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

I was born the same year as the NHS. I have a nasty feeling I might die in the same year as it too.
    Having already died three times in the last six years, I guess? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Yorkcity
    Not being in either the Single Market or the Customs Union.

@ThreeQuidder Linking to Guido? I may as well start linking to the Canary then.
  • Options
    And in daily terrorist news....

Majorca 'MASSACRE plot': Terror suspect arrested in Spain 'planned stabbing murder spree on holiday island just like London Borough Market carnage'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4654510/Terror-suspect-planned-stabbing-spree-Majorca.html
  • Options
    edited June 2017

@ThreeQuidder Linking to Guido? I may as well start linking to the Canary then.

Sure, for comment, when it's as accurate as this:

Remainers and their media allies need to be honest about what they mean when they talk about “soft Brexit”. If “soft Brexit” means staying inside the single market (not taking back control of borders), staying inside the customs union (not taking back control of trade), and staying inside the ECJ (not taking back control of laws), then that is not Brexit. Hammond and other Remainers in the Cabinet have accepted this. Only hardcore Remainers don’t.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Dadge said:

This feels implausible to me. Even Heidi Allen thinks a Corbyn premiership would be an utter disaster. The party will not facilitate it.
    Said that. More or less.
  • Options

1932 Skinner (Lab)
    1935 Flynn (Lab)
    1937 Clwyd (Lab)
    1938 Robinson (Lab)
    1942 Field (Lab)
    1946 - 5 Lab, 1 Con
    1947 - 4 Lab, 1 Con

Having already died three times in the last six years, I guess? :)
    Only 45 minutes to save P-t-P!
This discussion has been closed.