Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s council by-elections

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s council by-elections

Four council by-elections today: two Labour defences, one Conservative and one Lib Dem. @AndrewTeale's previews: https://t.co/sB47GgLt27 pic.twitter.com/oJECfONqkD

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,769
    first?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I hope the William Morris ward voters choose someone who they know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

Who's gonna come 2nd in 2022 then?

And who 1st, given the Tories will deffo be behind Labour :-)?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

Who will be second though Ave It? :D
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I won! (Like Jeremy Corbyn...)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

First will be the British En Marche, led by George Osborne.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,320
    edited June 2017
    Seriously - the Tories should now engineer another election and get Jezza as PM. He's going to get exactly what he wants anyway - ultra-hard Brexit with Britain ignominiously dumped into WTO rules - so it may as well be him who's given responsibility for it. As it stands, Theresa, Boris and DD are being set up to look like charlatans or fools. Why suffer that humiliation?
  • Options
    There's a Survation phone poll out tomorrow.
  • Options

Seriously - the Tories should now engineer another election and get Jezza as PM. He's going to get exactly what he wants anyway - ultra-hard Brexit with Britain ignominiously dumped into WTO rules - so it may as well be him who's given responsibility for it. As it stands, Theresa, Boris and DD are being set up to look like charlatans or fools. Why suffer that humiliation?

Because politicians cling to power the way mere mortals cling to life?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,778

Ironically the Tories may win after tonight's vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    nunuone said:

rcs1000 said:

nunu said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

calum said:

rcs1000 said:

Has anyone else read the Deloitte article on the UK labour market post Brexit.

They surveyed 1,200 EU and non-EU nationals living in the UK and asked them if Brexit would make any difference to their willingness to stay in the UK.

The bit that was most concerning was that Brexit appeared to be discouraging exactly those people we wish to stay, with 47% of highly skilled workers from other EU countries now expecting to leave in the next five years. A far smaller proportion of low skilled workers planned on leaving.

My guess - and this is just a guess - that perceptions matter. The UK is seen as a less attractive place to emigrate to, and therefore our immigration levels will continue the fall seen from the middle of last year.

Last week's data showing a 96% fall in nursing registration applications from the EU, indicates that not only are skilled workers thinking of leaving but they're being put off coming as well.
    I've forecast that net migration would go negative by the end of 2020 many times.

I remain confident in that forecast.

(Note: falling population, plus massive quantity of new homes built = lower prices.)
    They'll be talking about the brain drain soon enough.
    net migration won't go negative, no chance.
    No chance? So, offering me 1,000-1 odds would be like free money for you.

How much free money would you like to make by offering me a bet?
    OK maybe "no chance" is overstating it........

........like a 95% chance. I think the third world won't be able to grow fast enough to create jobs for an ever increasing population. Pakistan for example needs 6% growth just to keep the unemployment rate the same. This will lead to both economic migration and migration from conflict. They will be desperate to come here. What's more the Tory party is the party for big business, they will do whatever it takes to keep their donors happy, which includes high migration.

I could see migration rules being relaxed from Commonwealth countries like India to get into their good books for possible trade MoU's.
    What is your source for Pakistan needing 6% growth to keep unemployment flat? (Also, I'm not convinced that people voted to go from importing Polish plumbers to their Pakistani equivalents.)

Ultimately, though, India and Pakistan are simply not that enamored with the whole idea of free trade. Canada is keen on free trade. So is South Korea. The Mexicans are getting keener now, as is Mercosur. But India and Pakistan, really, not so much.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

I think CON will be 5% clear!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I won! (Like Jeremy Corbyn...)

You're a dead cert for next time though!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    FF43 said:

Hahahaha - even GO's Britain On the Move (Britain Working ?!) is more likely than that!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    FF43 said:

I think you're right. Corbyn has exposed himself and I doubt his supporters will find it a pretty sight
  • Options

You're a dead cert for next time though!

Soon as I sack some of my team...
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Dumb question re phone polls - do they use landline and mobile numbers?
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Roger said:

FF43 said:

I think you're right. Corbyn has exposed himself and I doubt his supporters will find it a pretty sight
    Dream on!
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Yes.
    Thanks
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Ave_it said:

Nah, we will see the Glastonbury headliner well clear.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

Of all the Labour MPs we had to choose a leader that is one of the handful of anti-EU MPs and at such a critical time.

As it dawns on people how pro-Brexit he really is I think a split in the Labour party will become highly likely and he will lose many of the new votes he gained a couple of weeks ago.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,986
    Jeremy wants Hard Brexit - where were the signs?

https://youtu.be/cZZcq25TTiQ
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Ave_it said:

Funnily enough, a poll like that would've been seen as a disaster for the Cons just 2 months ago :D
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

Of all the Labour MPs we had to choose a leader that is one of the handful of anti-EU MPs and at such a critical time.

As it dawns on people how pro-Brexit he really is I think a split in the Labour party will become highly likely and he will lose many of the new votes he gained a couple of weeks ago.

Except only 6% of Labour voters considered Brexit their #1 issue, according to Survation.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I hope the William Morris ward voters choose someone who they know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

I used to live just the other side of the A12 from that ward and I can assure you that the ward itself is most certainly not beautiful. It does contain Lloyd Park, and WM's former house, now a museum of his life and work, so I suppose it is useful.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Driver arrested after trying to drive into crowd of people outside Paris mosque

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/29/car-drives-crowd-people-outside-french-mosque/
  • Options
    isam said:

Wow! He has his tie actually on properly.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

Labour no more likely to split over Brexit than the Tories imo. Both could happen of course but I am not sure the Remain elements of Con and Lab have enough in common to form a new party.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Roger said:

FF43 said:

It's fairly obvious that most Corbyn supporters were projecting their views onto Jezza, he remains the same stubborn old fool.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Wow! He has his tie actually on properly.
    Mum must have done it for him.
  • Options
    glw said:

Roger said:

FF43 said:

It's fairly obvious that most Corbyn supporters were projecting their views onto Jezza, he remains the same stubborn old fool.
    This...I have seen loads of it on Facebook with people saying he is pro x or y when he definitely is not.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

I used to live just the other side of the A12 from that ward and I can assure you that the ward itself is most certainly not beautiful. It does contain Lloyd Park, and WM's former house, now a museum of his life and work, so I suppose it is useful.
    It doesn't have to be beautiful, you've only got to believe it to be so... anything can pass that test with someone.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,778

FF43 said:

Hahahaha - even GO's Britain On the Move (Britain Working ?!) is more likely than that!
    Remainers, who make up two thirds of Labour voters will partly abstain or shift to the Lib Dems. That benefits the Conservatives.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Danny565 said:

OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

Except only 6% of Labour voters considered Brexit their #1 issue, according to Survation.
    I thought it had been concluded that after controlling for other factors that Labour did better the more remain the seat. His voting demographic is certainly very pro-remain and he certainly soft-pedalled his views during the GE and pretended to be a remainer during the referendum - man of principle my arse. I've had it with him and I suspect I will not be the only one.

• Options

This...I have seen loads of it on Facebook with people saying he is pro x or y when he definitely is not.

I don't do Facebook, but yeah most of what I've read about Corbyn from his new found fans is utter bollocks.
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/29/car-drives-crowd-people-outside-french-mosque/

The price we pay for the multicultural experiment is too high
  • Options
    I'm still struggling with the idea that anyone who loves music can hate Radiohead.

Listen to this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCJblaUkkfc
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

I thought it had been concluded that after controlling for other factors that Labour did better the more remain the seat. His voting demographic is certainly very pro-remain and he certainly soft-pedalled his views during the GE and pretended to be a remainer during the referendum - man of principle my arse. I've had it with him and I suspect I will not be the only one.

Virtually everyone (even avid Remainers like myself) thinks Brexit inevitable, so Corbyn's line on Brexit is not a significant factor... public services and intergenerational inequality much more important.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm still struggling with the idea that anyone who loves music can hate Radiohead.

My favourite, but I think they could have called it a day after OK Computer, that would have been great.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Listen to this
    youtube.com/watch?v=LCJblaUkkfc

It's a bit whiny and doesn't half go ;-)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    rcs1000 said:

Listen to this

I think that listening to Radiohead makes you a better person...they are quite simply the most mesmeric, eclectically brilliant popular musicians of my lifetime....

I commented to you Glasto night that Yorke's rendition of No Surprises was flat...I have now re-watchjed that stunningly brilliant show twice again and think that Yorke did that deliberately...

BTW....this record is sublime and beautiful....
  • Options
    Radiohead are ok. With the benefit of hindsight, they were better than average.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Danny565 said:

OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

The converts, who switched from the Conservatives to Labour over the EU, will probably not switch back. I'm not sure why they thought the Conservatives were a pro-EU party previously, but people deceive themselves. Two days after the EU vote, I was at a gathering of very rich people in Arkley who were all ranting and raving about it. I thought they'd get over it, but they didn't, and Theresa Villiers' majority was slashed.
  • Options
    Honestly can anyone name a decent Radiohead track after Karma Police?

I feel like I need to do a Radiohead themed thread in the next fortnight.

Thom Yorke, the Jeremy Corbyn of the musical world.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I bloody hope he isn't still as popular 20 years after his greatest hit as radiohead are.
  • Options

Radiohead are ok. With the benefit of hindsight, they were better than average.

Karma Police on Letterman is beautiful
  • Options
    isam said:

And seeing that migration is as natural to human beings as procreating, eating or sleeping you tell me Isam what the hell we are supposed to do about migration? Ban it? Only allow whites to migrate to where they want? Only allow people with money to move to where they want? Only allow Christians to migrate?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

The converts, who switched from the Conservatives to Labour over the EU, will probably not switch back. I'm not sure why they thought the Conservatives were a pro-EU party previously, but people deceive themselves. Two days after the EU vote, I was at a gathering of very rich people in Arkley who were all ranting and raving about it. I thought they'd get over it, but they didn't, and Theresa Villiers' majority was slashed.
    The Conservatives have killed their reputation for rationality with non-zealots by aiming to be the party of Brexit. Labour's trimming on the subject of Brexit won't improve the Conservatives' reputation on that front.
  • Options
    tyson said:

isam said:

And seeing that migration is as natural to human beings as procreating, eating or sleeping you tell me Isam what the hell we are supposed to do about migration? Ban it? Only allow whites to migrate to where they want? Only allow people with money to move to where they want? Only allow Christians to migrate?
    Control it
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    tyson said:

isam said:

I think the problem is the lack of integration (which is a two-way street).
  • Options
    RadioheadRadiohead Posts: 17
    rcs1000 said:

Preach!!!
  • Options
    Ugh, what a muppet Simon Kelner is

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/880536886426484737
  • Options

Everything they have done since OK Computer is elevated.

I'm thankful I was too old for Radiohead....my youth was misspent with New Order, the Cure and the Smiths and the like. If Radiohead had been around then I would have become completely obsessed.
  • Options
    tyson said:

isam said:

Those are quite interesting suggestions.
  • Options
    Radiohead said:

rcs1000 said:

Preach!!!
    I hope this isn't a start of a trend of novelty accounts. Or is that rcs1000 in disguise? :D:p
  • Options

Honestly can anyone name a decent Radiohead track

No. No they can't.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I'm thankful I was too old for Radiohead....my youth was misspent with New Order, the Cure and the Smiths and the like. If Radiohead had been around then I would have become completely obsessed.
    New Order, alongside Queen, and The Rolling Stones were the bands that made me fall in love with music.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tyson said:

isam said:

+1

And in what sense is multiculturalism an 'experiment'? - it's just an inevitable consequence of technology allowing people to move and communicate across distances more easily/rapidly. No one said 'why don't we try this out and see if it works'. (And it's great and life-enriching btw)
  • Options
    isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

Control it
    Control migration is simply a smokescreen to stopping people of colour moving from poorer to richer countries.

No-one gives a shit about tons of rich white folk living between countries.

UKIP attack the establishment elite. There is nothing more egalitarian than the poorest in the world trying to move to improve their lives.
  • Options

tyson said:

isam said:

+1

And in what sense is multiculturalism an 'experiment'? - it's just an inevitable consequence of technology allowing people to move and communicate across distances more easily/rapidly. No one said 'why don't we try this out and see if it works'. (And it's great and life-enriching btw)
    All those backward Islamic republics that don't allow it.. pfft how you must hate them
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Radiohead said:

rcs1000 said:

Preach!!!
    You mean the warm-up group for Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

The Conservatives have killed their reputation for rationality with non-zealots by aiming to be the party of Brexit. Labour's trimming on the subject of Brexit won't improve the Conservatives' reputation on that front.
    But, such people ought to have got the hint that the Conservatives weren't exactly fond of the EU. Maybe they thought it was just posturing, and suddenly realised that it wasn't.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    OllyT said:

Anecdotal, but I think that has already started.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

Ave_it said:

Yes, they do.
  • Options
    tyson said:

isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

Control it
    Control migration is simply a smokescreen to stopping people of colour moving from poorer to richer countries.

UKIP attack the establishment elite. There is nothing more egalitarian than the poorest in the world trying to move to improve their lives.
    Your point being?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

But, such people ought to have got the hint that the Conservatives weren't exactly fond of the EU. Maybe they thought it was just posturing, and suddenly realised that it wasn't.
    They understood how obsessed many Conservatives were on the subject. They trusted David Cameron. They don't trust the current motley crew. It's hard to imagine how any Conservative now could win back their trust to act rationally.
  • Options
    Think he meant to write 'enablers of humanity' but his iPhone predictive text caught him out?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,128
    An interesting contrast with May's 'citizens of nowhere' divisiveness. I like the phrase 'asymmetric demobilisation' to describe Merkel's strategy.

https://twitter.com/theeconomist/status/880503796341907459
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Listen to this

Music to eat Hawaiian Pizza by...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tyson said:

isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

Control it

Having lots of different religions that don't integrate with each other arrive in a country too quickly is a recipe for disaster. If they happen to be of a different race it seems to make things more difficult. I am not saying, and have never said, that white Christianity is any better or worse than non white religion, just pointing out that when too many of each side are too close, too soon... KABOOM!
  • Options
    isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

+1

All those backward Islamic republics that don't allow it.. pfft how you must hate them
    Not hate - pity them.
  • Options

tyson said:

New Order, alongside Queen, and The Rolling Stones were the bands that made me fall in love with music.
    I'm seeing Hooky in Florence next week....he's doing the entire Substance (New Order and Joy Division) albums...a 3 hour feast.

I love New Order....but Radiohead are mesmerising and brilliant and inventive and innovative and quite simply one of the best bands the world has ever seen...the Beachboys, the Beatles and Radiohead....and then you have the rest.....
  • Options

isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

+1

Not hate - pity them.
    I am sure the feeling is mutual
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

Control it

Your point being?
    ... well made by your response, I would guess!
  • Options
    isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

+1

They are getting multiculturalism via the web, movies and TV. It is one of the major drivers of the Islamist backlash. A higher percentage of Saudis than Americans describe themselves as atheists, despite it being illegal in KSA.
  • Options

Radiohead said:

rcs1000 said:

Preach!!!
    You mean the warm-up group for Jeremy Corbyn?
    Naughty

• Options

isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

+1

They are getting multiculturalism via the web, movies and TV. It is one of the major drivers of the Islamist backlash. A higher percentage of Saudis than Americans describe themselves as atheists, despite it being illegal in KSA.
    Probably a difference between religious apathy amongst citizens and a new firmly held religion by newcomers
  • Options
    I love @BenPointer....what a wonderful and compassionate addition to the pbCOM community.

Anyway, on that point of praise I am off for the night to listen to some more Radiohead....
  • Options
    tyson said:

I love @BenPointer....what a wonderful and compassionate addition to the pbCOM community.

Anyway, on that point of praise I am off for the night to listen to some more Radiohead....

Just wait until he starts using emojis. :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

@RobD - I wish I could work out how to! Any hints gratefully received

@tyson - you're too kind sir! Enjoy the music :-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,979
    RobD said:

tyson said:

Happens to the best of us.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    isam said:

So after the euro crisis Jeremy changed his mind and campaigned for REMAIN??!!
  • Options

isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

+1

Really? Do you have a link please.

Although I remember a survey that said Americans would rather vote for Muslims and almost any other ideology than vote for an atheist! America intrigues.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    tyson said:

tyson said:

I'm seeing Hooky in Florence next week....he's doing the entire Substance (New Order and Joy Division) albums...a 3 hour feast.

I love New Order....but Radiohead are mesmerising and brilliant and inventive and innovative and quite simply one of the best bands the world has ever seen...the Beachboys, the Beatles and Radiohead....and then you have the rest.....
    Queen are truly dreadful, with the obvious exception of Bohemian Rhapsody and a nod to Seven Seas of Rye the rest is utter dross. Radio Gaga, Fat Bottomed Girls, total rubbish.

Radiohead are classic music for the modern ages, in the same way Pink Floyd were and perhaps Elbow are too.

I do like the Smiths though, never been a great Bestles fan, (ironic that their best song was not written by Lennon & McCartney). Beach Boys are genius, same as Van Morrison and Dylan, best live act ever is Springsteen.

All in my humble opinion of course.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

isam said:

So after the euro crisis Jeremy changed his mind and campaigned for REMAIN??!!
    The pull of partisan politics is strong all over.
  • Options
    @iankatz1000: .@nicholaswatt says many Labour remainers furious with @ChukaUmunna for tabling "vanity amendment" to Queen's Speech #Newsnight
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    OllyT said:

Danny565 said:

OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Third!

Like LAB in #GE2022

Correlation does not equal causation. The characteristics of a lot of Remain voters (younger, more urban, more educated, etc.) are also the characteristics that increasingly make up the voter bases of centre-left parties all over the world, including places where the EU isn't an issue (most obviously the US).

Please feel free to find me one person who did a lot of canvassing for Labour this election who said Brexit was one of the main factors for pushing voters towards them, except for perhaps in a few London seats. As I said earlier, in my seat [which according to the Chris Hanretty estimates was more Remain than most of northern England], very few people said they were voting Labour on the basis of stopping or 'softening' Brexit, and just one person that I can remember even used the term "Single Market" at all.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,408

tyson said:

Depeche Mode, Queen and New Order for me :)
  • Options
    nunuone said:
    Given the heading above the the name of the paper is careful enough to include a question mark, I'm surprised the main headline does not have one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Happens to the best of us.
    Got it! :smile:
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

tyson said:

Queen, ugh!

Anyone on here a Steely Dan fan?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

tyson said:

Queen, ugh!

Anyone on here a Steely Dan fan?
    Yes.

But I struggle to see how you can like SD and not like Queen.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

isam said:

tyson said:

isam said:

+1

Really? Do you have a link please.

Although I remember a survey that said Americans would rather vote for Muslims and almost any other ideology than vote for an atheist! America intrigues.
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/26/atheist-muslims-could-be-the-key-to-defeating-islamic-terror/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nunuone said:
    Given the heading above the the name of the paper is careful enough to include a question mark, I'm surprised the main headline does not have one.
    It is very striking nonetheless. Will help them sell, was the calculation.
This discussion has been closed.