Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Analysing Labour’s rise in the polls

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Analysing Labour’s rise in the polls

At the start of this general election campaign, I thought there was a chance that my 10/1 bets on Labour polling sub 20% might be in play but during this general election campaign if the polls are accurate, Labour’s share of the vote has risen, and Labour might end up polling close to 40%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    That has been their approach from the start, I am sure they will keep at the policy rather than the personality focus. Freebies are very popular.
  • Options
    It is worth noting that even when people do recall policies, they are not necessarily what they base their vote on. Ballot box behaviour is much more about the broader perceptions of the parties
    Yep. Tories took a hit, but started well in front so should still win. Their manifesto was deliberately a more sober affair and was never going to be as popular, but they need to limit any further damage - a proposed relaunch is a very bad idea, as it will just make matters more complicated with little guarantee it will fix the perception of their plans.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Hard to say. He's slick, he's presentable, he's more authoritative, but as SeanT notes, there's something in Corbyn's offbeat, quiet, slightly unkempt approach that people really get enthused about, and I think his approach would be less appealing to those people.

Yes, count me in there. I think McDonnell is highly intelligent and has done a good job of making a serious effort on economic issues, but as he engagingly says of himself, "Jeremy is teaching me to be a nicer person but i'm only halfway through the course."

But he doesn't want to be leader, and has said so emphatically on repeated occasions.
    Oh come on, Nick, surely everyone says that! May said she wouldn't call for a GE too. Ball loose from the scrum, do my duty for the party and country if Jeremy goes, etc etc.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    kle4 said:

It is worth noting that even when people do recall policies, they are not necessarily what they base their vote on. Ballot box behaviour is much more about the broader perceptions of the parties
    Yep. Tories took a hit, but started well in front so should still win. Their manifesto was deliberately a more sober affair and was never going to be as popular, but they need to limit any further damage - a proposed relaunch is a very bad idea, as it will just make matters more complicated with little guarantee it will fix the perception of their plans.

You say they should limit further damage, but a relaunch is a bad idea. What should they do?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited May 2017
    I think it is because the politically engaged are over represented in opinion polls. Most people aren't that interested, made their mind up early and stick with it.

People who like to discuss why they are voting this way or that over analyse it, and are probably the type that like to tell people they can be swayed by manifestos, logic, reasoned argument etc, because they admire intellectual thought
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited May 2017
    Why couldn't this melt have come to Betfair instead of going to William Hill, he'd have got 15/1 and I'd have made some money

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/868815351043297281
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

You say they should limit further damage, but a relaunch is a bad idea. What should they do?
    Pick a fight with Brussels.
    isam said:

I think it is because the politically engaged are over represented in opinion polls

I agree.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Not cause further ructions! The polls were not disastrous yesterday, it could well be the slide has been halted, and the fundamentals of Corbyn being less popular than May are still true (even if he is more popular than supposed), so the personality focus is probably their best bet - defending what they proposed when raised but not inviting too many more questions, which if they start tinkering and u-turning (as any additional clarification via a 'relaunch' would be perceived) it could just confuse things.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Pick a fight with Brussels.
    I believe they have been proposing plans for a Eurosausage...
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Well they've made a positive start by castrating Nick Timothy and giving Sir Lynton Crosby complete control of the campaign.
  • Options

BudG said:

Pulpstar said:

BudG said:

AndyJS said:

Next Labour leader:

Yvette Cooper 4.8 / 5
    Keir Starmer 7.4 / 9.2
    Dan Jarvis 14 / 19
    Lisa Nandy 17 / 19
    Chuka Umanna 17 / 21
    Clive Lewis 13.5 / 22

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.120629096

I am in deep on this market. But we could be waiting some time for any winnings.
    Difficult to see Cooper getting it, if this election does not turn out to be the disaster for Corbyn that most were predicting originally. It is likely to be a successor chosen and supported by him, when he eventually goes.
    Right now I'd have to say McIRA may well get it. And the Tories had better have a superior campaign to this one if he's leading Labour in 2022.
    Hope he is not put forward by Corbyn as his successor. I would happily vote for most centre left canandidates in a leadership election, but don't think I could vote for McD, he comes with far too much baggage.
    Based purely on Twitter, I'd say that Labour activists aren't all that left wing. They just like Corbyn. I don't think Corbyn's successor has to be from the same pedigree.
    Not sure many others fit the kind, slightly bumbling cool grandad image though.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Well they've made a positive start by castrating Nick Timothy and giving Sir Lynton Crosby complete control of the campaign.
    If he's so great why didn't they from the start, if you are serious?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    The Lib Dem manifesto is really good and sensible, but the awful two sided campaign has meant I only actually thought to read it last night.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Dear fucking god - apparently the grooming problem getting worse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4546450/Rochdale-horror-goes-abuse-rife-10-years-on.html
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Apparently Mrs May is a control freak and she and Nick Timothy thought they knew better than Sir Lynton Crosby when it comes to winning general elections.

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/868572170099752961
  • Options
    Freggles said:

The Lib Dem manifesto is really good and sensible, but the awful two sided campaign has meant I only actually thought to read it last night.

I thought it the best presented. Lab's had the nicest policies but was overly wordy and harder to pick out the promises and priorities.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I had thought about doing a thread on the Lib Dems today.

Hard to believe but a few years ago over 50% of the public would have voted for a coalition/coupon deal in 2015.

Now they could be down to 1 or 2 MPs.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Oh my word, that looks like a serious accident in Monaco.

Never seen a car at that angle.

Edit - Pascal Wehrlein is ok. Phew
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Freggles said:

I had thought about doing a thread on the Lib Dems today.

Hard to believe but a few years ago over 50% of the public would have voted for a coalition/coupon deal in 2015.

Now they could be down to 1 or 2 MPs.
    The public is unkind. They also say they like middle options and compromise, but act otherwise (yes I know the LDs did not help themselves in some ways)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Floater said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4546450/Rochdale-horror-goes-abuse-rife-10-years-on.html

Hardly anyone has been arrested and tried have they?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    nunu said:

Floater said:

Hardly anyone has been arrested and tried have they?
    The ones that were are few again and using taxpayers money to stave off deportation
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Apparently Mrs May is a control freak and she and Nick Timothy thought they knew better than Sir Lynton Crosby when it comes to winning general elections.

If Ruth Davidson was Tory leader they'd still be 20 points ahead. Why can't TMay be like this? - coherent, smart, lucid, persuasive, and nailing her points without sounding like a robot.

https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday/status/868755755716837376
    I live in hope Ruth Davidson might be the Tory leader/PM for the 2022 general election.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

If Ruth Davidson was Tory leader they'd still be 20 points ahead. Why can't TMay be like this? - coherent, smart, lucid, persuasive, and nailing her points without sounding like a robot.

I live in hope Ruth Davidson might be the Tory leader/PM for the 2022 general election.
    She needs a Westminster seat first, surely?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

She's basically the only decent option for them/the country.

I like Ruth.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

She does, a by election could do the trick but she could do an Alec Douglas-Home and become PM from the Lords.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Well, probably decent odds for a by-election at some point before then. Or she could be chosen as a candidate and made Leader by any outgoing PM.

But it may be that she really knows it is best for the party that she remain at Holyrood, although five years from now, when the Tories will have been in power a long time and the situation may be more difficult, and if Davidson remains a well thought of figure, it would be a good time even if standing for Westminster now was not on the cards.
  • Options

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

She's basically the only decent option for them/the country.

I like Ruth.
    Well there should be a whole bunch of new ones coming in soon, maybe there's a Davidson amongst them.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Before the Zoomers arrive in force to disparage Ruth, remember they have this quality in their ranks...

@JohnMasonMSP: @torykipper @Tyndale7 Youngsters today coming out of school more rounded than in past. Learning times tables & spelling stronger in my day but we have moved on.

@euanmccolm: we have not "moved on" from the need to be able to spell and count, you dolt. twitter.com/johnmasonmsp/s…
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

She's the best candidate by miles. I can't think of anyone close. She personally turned around the SCONES. She's a proven winner.

I'm With You: Davidson for '22.
    I suspect she won't make the move whilst there's a risk of Indyref2.

She'd rather ensure the Union remains secure than be PM.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    FBI tipped off MI5 about Abedi.

The FBI told MI5 that Abedi was planning an attack in Britain in January this year

But they thought he might be planning to assassinate a key political figure

MI5 investigated but 'nothing came of it' and he slipped down the pecking order

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4548892/FBI-warned-MI5-Manchester-bomber-planning-attack.html

• Options

I suspect she won't make the move whilst there's a risk of Indyref2.

She'd rather ensure the Union remains secure than be PM.

She is likely to be FM before any move to Westminster
  • Options
    You can have Lords who are ministers, why not an MSP?

(Yes, it's different, but like others, I do like Ruth, and it'd be nice to see what she could do at Westminster without facing accusations of leaving Scotland as soon as there was a better job in London)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Chris said:

Chris said:

Did Corbyn actually make any speeches saying explicitly that he thought IRA terrorism was justified, for example?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11924431/Revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-and-John-McDonnells-close-IRA-links.html
    Thank you. Can you quote the part you mean, please?
    Corbyn was the General Secretary of the Editorial Board of Labour Briefing when it published a special supplement on the Brighton Bombing:

In its December 1984 leader, editorial board “disassociated itself” from an article the previous month criticising the bombing, saying the criticism was a “serious political misjudgment.”

The board said it “reaffirmed its support for, and solidarity with, the Irish republican movement” and added that “the British only sit up and take notice [of Ireland] when they are bombed into it.”

Alongside its editorial, the board reprinted a speech by Gerry Adams describing the bombing as a "blow for democracy" and the "inevitable result of the British presence in [Ireland]."

Briefing earlier stated: “We refuse to parrot the ritual condemnation of ‘violence’ because we insist on placing responsibility where it lies…. Let our ‘Iron Lady’ know this: those who live by the sword shall die by it. If she wants violence, then violence she will certainly get.”
    Thank you. Looking at the article, the Telegraph didn't seem entirely convinced Corbyn was the general secretary of the editorial board. The article says that he was a member of the board, and that the reference book Parliamentary Profiles says he was general secretary. Wikipedia cites Private Eye for both those claims. Corbyn says both claims are mistaken, and he wasn't even a member of the board.

I was hoping someone knew of a statement that could clearly be attributed to Corbyn, rather than claims like these whose accuracy is disputed.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:

Before the Zoomers arrive in force to disparage Ruth, remember they have this quality in their ranks...

@JohnMasonMSP: @torykipper @Tyndale7 Youngsters today coming out of school more rounded than in past. Learning times tables & spelling stronger in my day but we have moved on

Are you sure that isn't a spoof account? That does seem to be too stupid for even the dimmest member of the political class.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

ttps://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/868572170099752961

ttps://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday/status/868755755716837376
    Because she's a different person?

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    It's interesting to note from TSE's header that of the top 5 perceived 'main' manifesto policies set out by the two major parties, three of Labour's were clearly positive - i.e. scrapping tuition fees, more funding for the NHS and more funding for schools, whereas the Tories were remembered for only such one positive policy - i.e. reducing immigration, which many would doubtless disbelieve, based on their singular lack of success to date as regards their dealing this issue. To be blunt, there's little or no good news being shouted from the rooftops by the Blue team.

Isn't the simple truth that the British people have aspirations, whether these are credible or not and they expect their politicians to at least fuel those aspirations with hope that the future will be better than the past - this is without doubt where the Tories are seen to have failed spectacularly.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Hard to say. He's slick, he's presentable, he's more authoritative, but as SeanT notes, there's something in Corbyn's offbeat, quiet, slightly unkempt approach that people really get enthused about, and I think his approach would be less appealing to those people.

Yes, count me in there. I think McDonnell is highly intelligent and has done a good job of making a serious effort on economic issues, but as he engagingly says of himself, "Jeremy is teaching me to be a nicer person but i'm only halfway through the course."

But he doesn't want to be leader, and has said so emphatically on repeated occasions.
    Oh come on, Nick, surely everyone says that! May said she wouldn't call for a GE too. Ball loose from the scrum, do my duty for the party and country if Jeremy goes, etc etc.
    Well, my canvass reports are anecdotal and I'm not much better than anyone else at predicting popular trends. But I'm usually right about internal Labour matters - I predicted both Corbyn wins, I said EdM would stay on pre-2015 when Henry Manson thought he'd be ousted, and I have a reasonable understanding of what makes most of the PLP tick. I don't think McDonnell will stand if an opening appears, for both health reasons and political judgment. Might be wrong, DYOR, etc.!
  • Options

It's interesting to note from TSE's header that of the top 5 perceived 'main' manifesto policies set out by the two major parties, three of Labour's were clearly positive - i.e. scrapping tuition fees, more funding for the NHS and more funding for schools, whereas the Tories were remembered for only such one positive policy - i.e. reducing immigration, which many would doubtless disbelieve, based on their singular lack of success to date as regards their dealing this issue. To be blunt, there's little or no good news being shouted from the rooftops by the Blue team.

Isn't the simple truth that the British people have aspirations, whether these are credible or not and they expect their politicians to at least fuel those aspirations with hope that the future will be better than the past - this is without doubt where the Tories are seen to have failed spectacularly.

Maybe, although if the aspirations are not credible and we still demand politicians provide them anyway, we really do get the politicians we deserve.
  • Options
    @krishgm: Good point about Corbyn's past. Come on #C4News and let's study your claims and the truth. Starting with that £300… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/868824276106924032
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, my canvass reports are anecdotal and I'm not much better than anyone else at predicting popular trends. But I'm usually right about internal Labour matters - I predicted both Corbyn wins, I said EdM would stay on pre-2015 when Henry Manson thought he'd be ousted, and I have a reasonable understanding of what makes most of the PLP tick. I don't think McDonnell will stand if an opening appears, for both health reasons and political judgment. Might be wrong, DYOR, etc.!
    It wasn't a criticism, he might really mean it, but Cabinet Ministers say the same before they get their chance at the big time, and no doubt shadow cabinet ministers too, but if an opportunity arose, and no one else seemed viable, people reassess.
  • Options
    glw said:

Are you sure that isn't a spoof account? That does seem to be too stupid for even the dimmest member of the political class.

I think he has a bet on with Pete Wishart for the stupidest MP at Westminster crown
  • Options
    http://citizenaid.org/features/download-citizenaid-app/

An interesting phone App, from a combination of emergency and medical services on how to respond to terrorist incidents. FWIW.

A "Protect and Survive" for our times.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Did Corbyn actually make any speeches saying explicitly that he thought IRA terrorism was justified, for example?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11924431/Revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-and-John-McDonnells-close-IRA-links.html
    Corbyn was the General Secretary of the Editorial Board of Labour Briefing when it published a special supplement on the Brighton Bombing:

In its December 1984 leader, editorial board “disassociated itself” from an article the previous month criticising the bombing, saying the criticism was a “serious political misjudgment.”

The board said it “reaffirmed its support for, and solidarity with, the Irish republican movement” and added that “the British only sit up and take notice [of Ireland] when they are bombed into it.”

Alongside its editorial, the board reprinted a speech by Gerry Adams describing the bombing as a "blow for democracy" and the "inevitable result of the British presence in [Ireland]."

Briefing earlier stated: “We refuse to parrot the ritual condemnation of ‘violence’ because we insist on placing responsibility where it lies…. Let our ‘Iron Lady’ know this: those who live by the sword shall die by it. If she wants violence, then violence she will certainly get.”
    Thank you. Looking at the article, the Telegraph didn't seem entirely convinced Corbyn was the general secretary of the editorial board. The article says that he was a member of the board, and that the reference book Parliamentary Profiles says he was general secretary. Wikipedia cites Private Eye for both those claims. Corbyn says both claims are mistaken, and he wasn't even a member of the board.

I was hoping someone knew of a statement that could clearly be attributed to Corbyn, rather than claims like these whose accuracy is disputed.
    Corbyn denied it to Sophy on Sky. About seven and a half minutes in.

youtu.be/NSpMujhSQHE?t=7m35s
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Yes. As the Telegraph reporters were at the least doubtful about whether he was general secretary of the board or only a member, wouldn't journalistic ethics normally require them to contact him to clarify that? Especially as they suggested this point might be the most controversial raised by their article?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    It's astonishing how the political narrative has changed in a matter of weeks. Although fairly confident of a reasonable majority, the Tories are now conceding that will be in spite of Theresa rather than because of her. Once the election is done and dusted, I can't see her lasting.
  • Options

It's astonishing how the political narrative has changed in a matter of weeks. Although fairly confident of a reasonable majority, the Tories are now conceding that will be in spite of Theresa rather than because of her. Once the election is done and dusted, I can't see her lasting.

Theresa May will be 65 by the next election; the same age as Mrs Thatcher when she left office. Whatever the result in a fortnight, I'd expect May to retire mid-term.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It wasn't a criticism, he might really mean it, but Cabinet Ministers say the same before they get their chance at the big time, and no doubt shadow cabinet ministers too, but if an opportunity arose, and no one else seemed viable, people reassess.
    I think McDonnell is not personally ambitious, and would back a younger, politically cleaner lieutenant.
  • Options

If she does get a 100+ majority she will last as long as she wants, nervousness during the campaign notwithstanding.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Well, my Vote Labour poster went up this morning. Skipton and Ripon Tories will be quaking in their boots.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I think McDonnell is not personally ambitious, and would back a younger, politically cleaner lieutenant.
    Being the eminence grise has its advantages.
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

snip

So who was? And given what is at stake for lefties would anybody on Labour Briefing choose to admit Corbyn was involved?
    In any even there have been countless speeches by Corbyn in public and public associations with the IRA leadership.
    One simple act condemns Corbyn as being totally unfit.
    He was part of a picket outside the Old Bailey to oppose what they called the “show trial” of a group including Patrick Magee, who was subsequently convicted of murdering five people at the 1984 Tory party conference.
    He wanted to “show solidarity with the Irish Republican prisoners put on trial by the British state”. In doing so he got himself arrested. Pity they did not throw away the key.
    He is a disgusting personality.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: shan't spoil the result, but less than thrilled with the race. Beginning the post-race ramble now.
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225
    kle4 said:

Maybe, although if the aspirations are not credible and we still demand politicians provide them anyway, we really do get the politicians we deserve.
    TSE gives advice to Labour to fight on policy. He should add that they should not fight on where the money comes from
  • Options
    Dianne Abbott should have featured in the Tory manifesto. Throughout this entire campaign she's the only thing to have got the Tories even remotely enthused.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

I think the Tories should try to turn TMay's lack of 'on-screen charisma' into a positive; do we really want another 'form over substance' PM or do we want a 'bloody difficult woman' who gets on with the job. It's either that or a lot of intensive media training before tomorrow night.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    Serious Q: where are the Conservative policies to help the JAMS, with whose circumstances Mrs May expressed so much sympathy on the steps of number 10? There must be more to it than a re-hash of Miliband's energy price policy?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

I think the Tories should try to turn TMay's lack of 'on-screen charisma' into a positive; do we really want another 'form over substance' PM or do we want a 'bloody difficult woman' who gets on with the job. It's either that or a lot of intensive media training before tomorrow night.
    Not flash, just Gordon. It's been done before.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

She does, a by election could do the trick but she could do an Alec Douglas-Home and become PM from the Lords.
    Relying on a by-election given what the Tories almost certainly have coming their way these next five years would be peculiarly rash ISTM.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Serious Q: where are the Conservative policies to help the JAMS, with whose circumstances Mrs May expressed so much sympathy on the steps of number 10? There must be more to it than a re-hash of Miliband's energy price policy?

LDs have the most redistributive manifesto fwiw

https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/868023274491576320
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

At this stage in the election campaign you'd have to think that such a comment would have come out by now?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

The 'difficult woman' bit shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The 'getting the job done' bit, not so much?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    IanB2 said:

One of my biggest concerns.

I assume JAMS are concentrated in marginal seats as safe Tory seats are likely to be richer and safe Labour seats poorer.

The danger is that the Conservative manifesto offered nothing than more of the same, if not slightly worse and JAMS will see this and go "well, maybe I'll take a punt on Labour then, it may be better, it may be worse, but at least it will not be more of the same".
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The LibDem manifesto is actually very good. It's just a shame we fell for Mrs May's line that this election was all about Brexit. We had the die-hard remainer vote sewn up, and would have done better to have talked about anything else but.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Theresa May will be 65 by the next election; the same age as Mrs Thatcher when she left office. Whatever the result in a fortnight, I'd expect May to retire mid-term.
    I think Amber Rudd would like to be the next Tory leader. She gives that impression every time I see her on TV.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

The 'difficult woman' bit shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The 'getting the job done' bit, not so much?
    I'm not so sure; there'll be lots of references to where she's been and what she's been up to during the last week.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,133
    Scott_P said:

Even we know it's bad manners to interrupt a circle jerk (not to mention the messy possibility of flying, Tory ejaculate).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I suspect that the energy-price thing was a Nick Timothy wheeze and will be quietly dropped. The Tories still have Dianne Abbott, but can this be sustained as a sole rallying point for months possibly years?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

I'm not so sure; there'll be lots of references to where she's been and what she's been up to during the last week.
    I'd be expecting more from her than just having avoided holding hands with Donald (in public) for a couple of days.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I suspect that the energy-price thing was a Nick Timothy wheeze and will be quietly dropped. The Tories still have Dianne Abbott, but can this be sustained as a sole rallying point for months possibly years?
    Who gets to run the country for five years rests upon not liking Diane Abbott? Surely we are better than this.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

IanB2 said:

They don't seem to be getting much credit for it.
    Suspect that reversing the Tory benefit changes is less exciting electorally than Labours offer.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

IanB2 said:

I saw loads of these charts 2010 - 2015.

They seemed to have precisely zero effect on anything.

Do people go back and check whether the sums added up?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

I'd be expecting more from her than just having avoided holding hands with Donald (in public) for a couple of days.
    Manchester bombing, increased state of alert, various COBRAs and G7 support for a crackdown on opportunities for internet-linked terrorism. I think she can claim to have been busy; effective is a different thing, of course.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

They don't seem to be getting much credit for it.
    Suspect that reversing the Tory benefit changes is less exciting electorally than Labours offer.
    The LibDems have come up with some very sensible policy approaches to the big questions that will face the next government, then decided that their campaign should focus entirely on Brexit, paying for advertising hoardings such as the one showing Mr Farage (remember him?) with Mrs May's hair.

The best we can hope to salvage from such idiocy is that non-Tory voters in our target seats have the good sense not to throw away their votes on third placed Labour candidates.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And it doesn't take into consideration the effects of non-tax/benefit policies, such as middle class bungs - I mean free tuition fees!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It is the IFS figures, not mine.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"Deputy sheriff among eight dead in Mississippi shooting
    Police say the shootings happened at three separate homes in rural Lincoln County and a suspect is in custody."

http://news.sky.com/story/deputy-sheriff-among-eight-dead-in-mississippi-shooting-10896390
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

Manchester bombing, increased state of alert, various COBRAs and G7 support for a crackdown on opportunities for internet-linked terrorism. I think she can claim to have been busy; effective is a different thing, of course.
    Busy but ineffective is the last thing we need in the Brexit negotiations. More than anything it is the Tories' attempt to over-sell Mrs May's capabilities that explains the wobble they've just been through.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

IanB2 said:

It is the IFS figures, not mine.
    Yes, I mean the IFS (and the media for that matter)
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

If you want to read the profile by Mr Roth its here:

http://internetserver.bishopsgate.org.uk/files/Parliamentary Profiles Archive/A-D/CORBYN, Jeremy/CORBYN, Jeremy.pdf

He joined the Labour Party and CND at school '66; was sympathetic to the Socialist Organiser Alliance of Trotskyist entryists; joined LONDON LABOUR BRIEFING editorial board - led by Ken Livingstone and Ted Knight and designed to push the London party Leftward - as General Secretary '79

• Options
    TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

And it doesn't take into consideration the effects of non-tax/benefit policies, such as middle class bungs - I mean free tuition fees!
    That is another chart, the IFS twitter has loads of graphs.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

Busy but ineffective is the last thing we need in the Brexit negotiations. More than anything it is the Tories' attempt to over-sell Mrs May's capabilities that explains the wobble they've just been through.
    'Busy but ineffective'; that's a great motto for the EU.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    F1: a slightly grumpy post-race analysis (obviously, spoilers abound within):
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/monaco-post-race-analysis-2017.html
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

I rarely spring to the defence of Theresa, but even I would not claim the Manchester bombing was her work!

• Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

http://internetserver.bishopsgate.org.uk/files/Parliamentary Profiles Archive/A-D/CORBYN, Jeremy/CORBYN, Jeremy.pdf

He joined the Labour Party and CND at school '66; was sympathetic to the Socialist Organiser Alliance of Trotskyist entryists; joined LONDON LABOUR BRIEFING editorial board - led by Ken Livingstone and Ted Knight and designed to push the London party Leftward - as General Secretary '79

And if you want to see Corbyn say Roth was wrong and that he was not on the board, it's in the Sophy Ridge interview posted earlier.

• Options

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

I rarely spring to the defence of Theresa, but even I would not claim the Manchester bombing was her work!

Aww - you should try harder to channel your inner conspiracy theorist!!
  • Options

TudorRose said:

Indeed - it is also based on entirely false premise in that it suggests you cannot have style and substance, an argument you wouldn't make if you think your candidate has both, and it makes them seem even worse than they are, as happened with Gordon, as the spinners push the line even if they do fine.
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

So who was? And given what is at stake for lefties would anybody on Labour Briefing choose to admit Corbyn was involved?
    In any even there have been countless speeches by Corbyn in public and public associations with the IRA leadership.
    He was part of a picket outside the Old Bailey to oppose what they called the “show trial” of a group including Patrick Magee, who was subsequently convicted of murdering five people at the 1984 Tory party conference.
    He wanted to “show solidarity with the Irish Republican prisoners put on trial by the British state”. In doing so he got himself arrested. Pity they did not throw away the key.
    But having wasted some time today looking into two other stories about how "disgusting" Jeremy Corbyn is, which turned out not to be what they seemed, I can't help wondering whether that is entirely accurate and fair. Are those words "show solidarity ..." a quotation from Corbyn, as you seem to imply? I don't think they are. If they aren't, how do you know why he was there or what he was trying to do? Did Corbyn call it a "show trial"? I looked at an online report in the Times, and although that phrase was in quotation marks, it was very difficult to tell where it came from. Not from Corbyn, I suspect.

In response to this story, Corbyn's spokesperson said he was lobbying for a fair trial. Some people may think the idea that alleged terrorists wouldn't get a fair trial is ridiculous and "disgusting". But is it really, viewed in the context of the serious miscarriages of justice that are known to have taken place?

I don't understand why, if Corbyn really expressed clear support for terrorism in his speeches, those speeches can't just be quoted, and then there would be no question about it.

• Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

And if you want to see Corbyn say Roth was wrong and that he was not on the board, it's in the Sophy Ridge interview posted earlier.

MRDA ?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Thank you. Looking at the .

Was he on the board in 1984 at the time of the special edition?

London Labour Briefing was a newsheet, becoming Labour Briefing with a higher production quality in the Eighties.

It was pretty good, I subscribed for about 5 years. Before the internet took off it was hard to get non MSMnews and views.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

Indeed - it is also based on entirely false premise in that it suggests you cannot have style and substance, an argument you wouldn't make if you think your candidate has both, and it makes them seem even worse than they are, as happened with Gordon, as the spinners push the line even if they do fine.
    Except then it becomes an odd spiral of chasing your own reputation. The candidate claims to be good at everything and therefore becomes criticised either for being 'too good to be true' or 'not one of us', so then they try to become more 'down to earth' and get criticised for 'faking it'. Of modern politicians I suspect Nigel Farage (and I'm no fan of his) got the mix about right and I think Ruth Davidson is developing a similar capacity for appearing to be 'human/fallible' enough without being incompetent.
  • Options
    Most rightwingers seem to have a pretty clear eyed view of their leaders. There are not that many people championing May here, she is just okay, the best of a bad bunch. Many were equally critical of Cameron and Osborne for different reasons. Similarly very few have any messianic zeal for thier parties policies - plenty of Tories here have been critical of the Tory manifesto, and rarely have hatred for their opponents, who they consider at best misguided, or just wrong.

What is it about lefties that inspires such undying devotion to their leaders and feelings of needing to throw themselves in the way of volleys of incoming fire from their opponents, when they have have quite unsavory records, and can in the current context, with even the most charitable interpretation be described as wishing ill on the British state, and those who serve her. Personally I find the unswerving loyalty to people whose unpatriotic actions and views are a matter of public record slightly nauseous.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Thanks. The Telegraph article described the author as the late Andrew Roth, the implication being that they were unable to ask him where that information came from. I note that Roth says only that Corbyn joined the board as general secretary in 1979, whereas the Telegraph claims Roth says he was general secretary "at the time" (i.e. in late 1984).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Most rightwingers seem to have a pretty clear eyed view of their leaders. There are not that many people championing May here, she is just okay, the best of a bad bunch. Many were equally critical of Cameron and Osborne for different reasons. Similarly very few have any messianic zeal for thier parties policies - plenty of Tories here have been critical of the Tory manifesto, and rarely have hatred for their opponents, who they consider at best misguided, or just wrong.

What is it about lefties that inspires such undying devotion to their leaders and feelings of needing to throw themselves in the way of volleys of incoming fire from their opponents, when they have have quite unsavory records, and can in the current context, with even the most charitable interpretation be described as wishing ill on the British state, and those who serve her. Personally I find the unswerving loyalty to people whose unpatriotic actions and views are a matter of public record slightly nauseous.

I suspect it is related to the messianic belief that if only there was radical change then paradise could be built on earth.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Bull shit I can hardly name a Corbyn supporter on here .Southam for example derides him everyday.
  • Options

MRDA ?
    Mandy Rice-Davies applies? Not really. There should be evidence but so far no-one has produced any. I doubt it was a secret at the time. And if Corbyn had been on the board, he could just admit it. It might be better to attack Corbyn from the other side, and say that while he was parading his conscience on pickets and demos, it was people like Chris Mullin who were putting in the hard yards to prove the Birmingham Six (and Guildford Four and Maguire Seven) had been wrongly convicted.

Note: some internal quotes removed owing to length restrictions.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Chris said:

TMA1 said:

But having wasted some time today looking into two other stories about how "disgusting" Jeremy Corbyn is, which turned out not to be what they seemed, I can't help wondering whether that is entirely accurate and fair. Are those words "show solidarity ..." a quotation from Corbyn, as you seem to imply? I don't think they are. If they aren't, how do you know why he was there or what he was trying to do? Did Corbyn call it a "show trial"? I looked at an online report in the Times, and although that phrase was in quotation marks, it was very difficult to tell where it came from. Not from Corbyn, I suspect.

In response to this story, Corbyn's spokesperson said he was lobbying for a fair trial. Some people may think the idea that alleged terrorists wouldn't get a fair trial is ridiculous and "disgusting". But is it really, viewed in the context of the serious miscarriages of justice that are known to have taken place?

I don't understand why, if Corbyn really expressed clear support for terrorism in his speeches, those speeches can't just be quoted, and then there would be no question about it.

Try this quiz. Who said these various quotes, Jeremy Corbyn's Stop the War Coalition, or ISIS?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/12036681/Who-said-it-Stop-the-War-Coalition-or-Isil.html
    Sorry, no time for a quiz. Please just quote the incriminating stuff, if there is any.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

kle4 said:

TudorRose said:

Except then it becomes an odd spiral of chasing your own reputation. The candidate claims to be good at everything and therefore becomes criticised either for being 'too good to be true' or 'not one of us', so then they try to become more 'down to earth' and get criticised for 'faking it'. Of modern politicians I suspect Nigel Farage (and I'm no fan of his) got the mix about right and I think Ruth Davidson is developing a similar capacity for appearing to be 'human/fallible' enough without being incompetent.
    They don't need to claim to be good at everything, but having your spinners go around saying 'It's ok if they look crap, underneath they are good' just reinforces the idea they are crap. I recall very distinctly thinking Brown did ok in a 2010 leadership debate, but his people came out with the whole 'It's substance not style that counts' stuff afterward, leaving me in no uncertain terms they thought he had done badly and needed to reassure people he wasn't as bad as he seemed.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Thanks. The Telegraph article described the author as the late Andrew Roth, the implication being that they were unable to ask him where that information came from. I note that Roth says only that Corbyn joined the board as general secretary in 1979, whereas the Telegraph claims Roth says he was general secretary "at the time" (i.e. in late 1984).

Well Mr Roth seems to have been good enough for that well known rightwing rag, The Guardian, that published his profiles of politicans on a regular basis, and still keeps an archive of a selection online even now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/series/profiles
This discussion has been closed.