Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why UKIP standing aside in a particular seat might not be as b

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065

Could some of the PB experts clarify whether TRuthy is functionally illiterate when it comes to understanding how to place a comma, or does she actually think 'simply seeking peace is offensive to anyone who's worn the uniform'?

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP/status/863667317623984128

As she's never worn a uniform it's very presumptious. I wore a uniform for 18 years and Jezza's IRA fan boy past doesn't offend me. It's certainly not a positive though an wouldn't incline me to vote for the stupid twat if I were a waverer.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    Survation had this one last week:

CON 47% (+10) LAB 30% (nc) LD 7% (-1) UKIP 4% (-9) SNP 5% (nc) GRE 3% (-1) OTH 4% (nc)

I can't recall seeing it. It appears to be a telephone poll for ITV/GMB.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    On a technical note the Lib Dem score swinging from ~ 10% to ~8% is more significant than the Tory one mooching around the high 40s.

All the polling seems to have levelled off somewhat recently.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Having read what you read more carefully, are you really saying that what Corbyn did was 'simply seeking peace'? He wanted the IRA to win. He voted against the Good Friday agreement. This is not a sectarian point surely?

Of course it's not a sectarian point, but the fervour with which the Zoomers have been plugging it all weekend does not suggest a party confident in their own prospects
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    MikeK said:

Could some of the PB experts clarify whether TRuthy is functionally illiterate when it comes to understanding how to place a comma, or does she actually think 'simply seeking peace is offensive to anyone who's worn the uniform'?

It proves he's lost the argument, when a leftie has to resort to grammar and punctuation to make a retort.
    Mikey's back :grin:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Mr. Wheel, thanks for posting the figures :)

Mr. Pulpstar, agreed. After the increase in Con and decrease in Lab standings early on and the return pretty much to the status quo ante, it seems to just be drifting along.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

As she's never worn a uniform it's very presumptious.

She served as a Signaller in the Territorial Army for three years (2003–06)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Davidson#Early_career
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    Pulpstar said:

On a technical note the Lib Dem score swinging from ~ 10% to ~8% is more significant than the Tory one mooching around the high 40s.

Everyone's made up their minds?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Dura_Ace said:

As she's never worn a uniform it's very presumptious. I wore a uniform for 18 years and Jezza's IRA fan boy past doesn't offend me. It's certainly not a positive though an wouldn't incline me to vote for the stupid twat if I were a waverer.
    Ruth Davidson served as a Signaller in the Territorial Army for three years (2003–06) before suffering a back injury in a training exercise at Sandhurst.

Who's being presumptuous ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,363

Or is a victim of autocorrect who was typing too fast to notice.
    The autocorrects I've experienced all seem to correct spelling rather than punctuation. In any case If you're a pol playing with sectarian fire, I'd have hoped you might be extra careful with the message you're trying to get over.
    Having read what you read more carefully, are you really saying that what Corbyn did was 'simply seeking peace'? He wanted the IRA to win. He voted against the Good Friday agreement. This is not a sectarian point surely?
    It's Davidson's tweet, not mine.
    It's no secret that the SCons are trying to hook up with the Protestant working class vote. If all that 'the uniform' & 'wanting the IRA to win' guff isn't designed to get their sectarian spidey senses tingling, I'm a panda.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Come now, she took her well padded backside to a couple of TA weekend yomps. If that's not serving, I don't know what is.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Everyone's made up their minds?
    Not quite. Even staticish polls can spring surprises on election day.

Either we could have Corbyn beating Miliband's % or a twenty plus point gap. Both are still well possible.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982

Scott_P said:

I think the UK will take an economic and geopolitical hit for 5-10 years

Slow hand clap...

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/864035126807867392
    Don't get cocky. Many Leavers voted fully cognisant of the short-medium term risks.

There will be some jobs, and supply chains, that cease to make sense once the UK has left the EU. However, the fundamental attractions of the UK will remain and there will be new opportunities created through new trade deals, and flexibility of applying an independent regulatory regime.

But these will take time to come to fruition, and loss aversion is a very powerful emotion.

One of the fundamental attractions of the UK for inward investors is membership of the single market. The benefits that brings will take many years to replace, let alone supplant. And the harder the Brexit, the longer it will take. But we are where we are and Mrs May has promised that those just about managing will prosper under her government. We shall see.

• Options
  • Options

If that's not serving, I don't know what is.

Clearly, you don't know what serving is
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ruth Davidson served as a Signaller in the Territorial Army for three years (2003–06) before suffering a back injury in a training exercise at Sandhurst.

Me, apparently. Just because she answered a few phones at Catterick doesn't give her right to attribute a position to all ex-mil though.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Me, apparently. Just because she answered a few phones at Catterick doesn't give her right to attribute a position to all ex-mil though.
    "As she's never worn a uniform ..."

Take the hit on the chin, and jog on.
  • Options
    Mr. P, it's an obviously bizarre position to hold by Sturgeon.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,174
    I understand from Kevin Foster in Torbay that in one of the more Labour/LibDem parts of the constituency, they were door-knocking and had a run of 11 households voting Conservative for him.

Probably just a statistical freak, but even so.....
  • Options
    Baxterising this morning's Survation poll produces the following HoC seat totals:

Con .......... 396
    Labour ...... 172
    SNP ............. 55
    Lib Dem ........ 5
    UKIP .............. 0
    Plaid ............. 3
    Greens ...........1
    N.I. ..............18

Total ......... 650

Tory Maj .... 142
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

I understand from Kevin Foster in Torbay that in one of the more Labour/LibDem parts of the constituency, they were door-knocking and had a run of 11 households voting Conservative for him.

Given what we were told two years ago, I'm afraid I'm not going to take any notice of canvassing reports from any side (unless they back up my own prejudices of course).
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Baxterising this morning's Survation poll produces the following HoC seat totals:

Con .......... 396
    Labour ...... 172
    SNP ............. 55
    Lib Dem ........ 5
    UKIP .............. 0
    Plaid ............. 3
    Greens ...........1
    N.I. ..............18

Total ......... 650

Tory Maj .... 142

Take around 2-3% off Labour and Con's would be well over 400 seats and have a majority close to Blair's in 97.
  • Options

On the other hand, it could just be your persuasive powers MM!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

So you think Salmond, who cuts a very unsoldierly figure, should stop pontificating on military matters ?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

The autocorrects I've experienced all seem to correct spelling rather than punctuation. In any case If you're a pol playing with sectarian fire, I'd have hoped you might be extra careful with the message you're trying to get over.
    It's no secret that the SCons are trying to hook up with the Protestant working class vote. If all that 'the uniform' & 'wanting the IRA to win' guff isn't designed to get their sectarian spidey senses tingling, I'm a panda.
    Are you saying she's wrong, that Corbyn didn't want the IRA to win? And if not, do you think it doesn't matter?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Of course it's not a sectarian point, but the fervour with which the Zoomers have been plugging it all weekend does not suggest a party confident in their own prospects
    Yeah, those Zoomers..

https://twitter.com/PeterKGeoghegan/status/863841628854919168

https://twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/863717986288504832

https://twitter.com/LADFLEG/status/864024143725047808
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

I’m sure that LAB and the LDs will seek to make a UKIP pull-out in key general election seats an argument to try to get tactical voting for the contender most able to beat the Conservative.
    Mike Smithson

And I'm just as sure they won't. A general election is a different kettle of fish from a by-election where parties can focus on the minutiae of the seat.

It sounds like you don't believe that tactical voting happens, that must have an impact on your betting chances.
    I never bet on individual constituencies of which I know nothing.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Some of us can remember the classic post on here in the 2005 GE by Rik Willis . In a whole night's canvassing in Sutton and Cheam he had not found a single Lib Dem voter .
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,818

[..]Don't get cocky. Many Leavers voted fully cognisant of the short-medium term risks.[...].

I challenge you on that. Opinion polls at the time showed very few people supporting Leave who thought there was any meaningful downside to Brexit.

I think they are still largely in denial, although there is more deflection now onto the "unreasonableness" of the EU.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Kevin is at 1.22 to hold, which looks good - but even better than that is the 1.44 available in Thornbury & Yate.
    If Kevin is finding this sort of thing in Torbay then it won't be massively dissimiliar in Thornbury. Luke Hall similiarly has 1st time incumbency. It is a definite bet at 1.44 for me.

Note just noted Kevin actually has a decent majority. A bet at 1.22 as well.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited May 2017
    Corbyn's risks on the downside should concern labourites greatly. There is a greater uncertainty to vote, there is clear mood music against him and, crucially, I get the feeling the firming up and increase in Labour VI has earmarks of the Cleggasm- increase in VI amongst those that, in the end, won't turnout in anything like the numbers suggested.
    It 'feels' like a 50-25 election, not a 45-30 one.
  • Options
    Corbyn's fans need to stop discussing his work 'towards peace in Northern Ireland'. Nobody believes it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033

I'm sick and tired of hearing things
    From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
    All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    I've had enough of reading things
    By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
    All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    I hope if he were still with us that John would still be fighting the good fight.

Keep you doped with religion, and sex, and T.V.
    And you think you're so clever and classless and free
    But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see
    A working class hero is something to be
    While he wrote pro IRA songs, letting Yoko sing on them could have been his way of putting people off

https://youtu.be/mSrev038hlo
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: Community. Identity. Stability. The Tory offer, 2017. Also the slogan from Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

Is it just me or is it a refreshing change to have a party, especially one led by a former home secretary, be accused of mimicking Brave New World rather than 1984?
  • Options

Are you saying she's wrong, that Corbyn didn't want the IRA to win? And if not, do you think it doesn't matter?
    I'm saying that she's piggybacking on a Crosby inspired strategy for her own low purposes. To be brutally honest I couldn't give a flying feck what Corbyn wanted 25 years ago, or now really.
  • Options

Some of us can remember the classic post on here in the 2005 GE by Rik Willis . In a whole night's canvassing in Sutton and Cheam he had not found a single Lib Dem voter .
    Kevin won't be ramping for the sake of it. Trust me on this.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    FF43 said:

The political landscape has changed so much the Lib Dems need to reposition. During an election campaign isn't a good time to do it, to be fair to Tim Farron. You will lose your old supporters faster than you can convince new supporters to come on board. I think they need to move to a ticket that is firmly internationalist, connected and which embraces the modern world. Somewhat returning to Liberal roots in the 19th century. Broadly similar to the CDU in Germany and Emmanuel Macron in France, spaces both the Conservative and Labour parties used to hold but have largely abandoned

Chelyabinsk came up with this analysis of centre politics in a previous thread. It identifies eight political tribes: Democratic Socialists and Community - worth 13% of the electorate and Labour core; Common Sense and Our Community - worth 50% of the electorate and claimed by May Conservatism. The remaining four tribes would be amenable to a rebranded Lib Dems and are worth a total of 31% of the electorate. (Both the distinctions between the tribes and their relative weights are fluid). They are:

Progressives (11%) Open, internationalist and inclusive view of Britain, comfortable with immigration. Belief in the welfare state, balanced view towards tax and the economy.

Swing voters (7%) Mixture of views. Support an equal society, internationalist outlook, hard stance on benefits, support a low tax economy

New Britain (6%) Open capitalist economy, pro-immigration, pro-single market, supportive of low tax economy. Business friendly, internationalist, compassionate view of society

Free Liberals (7%) Strong faith in the market, little interest in socially conservative ideas. Strongly pro-business, the most opposed to the welfare state. The most personally optimistic.

All have an internationalist outlook but there is a tension that would need to be managed between those that are supportive or opposed to the welfare state.

I'm more of a classical liberal, but I joined the LibDems when they were founded, and since stood for them twice for parliament and god knows how many times in local elections plus thousands of hours of my time, and decent sums of money (probably millions in opportunity cost - how daft am I?). I've never voted either Tory or Labour. In this election I am probably going to have to vote Tory, despite feeling a little dirty about it, mainly to vote against Labour. I've toyed with the idea of DNV so as not to sully myself.. but that would just make me a virtue signaller and I'd feel worse still about that.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited May 2017
    FF43 said:

All have an internationalist outlook but there is a tension that would need to be managed between those that are supportive or opposed to the welfare state.

Quite. What you're proposing is to take Progressives (the sort of people who say things like 'the bedroom tax' or 'the benefits cap is the final solution for the poor') and persuade them to join a party with ultra-dry Thatcherite Free Liberals, on the grounds that they are both 'internationalist, connected and embrace the modern world' (whatever that means- is privatising the NHS 'embracing the modern world'?). Bear in mind that the only major political realignments in Britain have resulted from the ability to mobilise particular local or sectional loyalties: the working class for Labour replacing the Liberals, and Scottish national identity for the SNP replacing Labour in Scotland.

Assuming, however, that the Lib Dems can be 100% successful in winning over these voters that leaves them losing to the Tories 50%-30%. In other words more or less where Corbyn is today, but without union backing, residual loyalty and geographically concentrated support. And your only hope of reducing their majority is to appeal to two groups whose no.1 priority is to reduce net migration to below 100,000 per year, using a party whose sole point of connection is that it's internationalist.

It's an interesting thought exercise in turning the Conservatives into the Japanese Liberal Democrats, or the Singaporean People's Action Party, but not much else.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Dura_Ace said:

Traffic Warden?

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_P said:

Yeah, those Zoomers..

https://twitter.com/PeterKGeoghegan/status/863841628854919168

https://twitter.com/BraidenHT/status/863717986288504832

https://twitter.com/LADFLEG/status/864024143725047808
    Negotiating with the enemy is how you bring about peace.

Supporting your enemy is not.

All those Tory examples you mention are about negotiations, not about support, can you not understand the difference? Corbyn opposed the Anglo-Irish Agreement.
  • Options
    On the spreads this morning, the markets appear very settled as follows:

Sporting:
    Con ............ 394 - 400
    Lab ............. 156 - 162
    LibDem ........ 15 - 18

Spreadex:
    Con ............ 395 - 401
    Lab ............. 157 - 163
    LibDem ........ 15 - 18
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Sky losing the plot with a report on social media election targeting that was filmed and reported as if the whole thing were being done by Fred West.

A more neutral report of what's happening here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/facebook-ads-who-targets-me-election_uk_5914bef7e4b00f308cf3cb8b?ir=UK+Politics&utm_hp_ref=uk-politics&-uk
  • Options
    Penddu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Traffic Warden?

Lollipop Lady?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,456
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

daodao said:

Alistair said:

That's pretty much the same result I got after 15 mins with excel a couple of weeks ago. All the Con too close to calls were on the Con gain side.
    So all to play for - on both sides! Could be a great night for SCON.....or not......
    I hope that fewer than 5 Con MPs are returned from north of the border. The smaller May's majority, the better.
    We have different fish to fry in Scotland, haddock instead of cod, and different priorities. I will be cheering any SLAB or Lib Dem gains north of the border almost as loudly as the Tory ones.
    Thank goodness that the SCons have almost entirely absorbed Scottish kipperdom so you're not in the awkward (though admittedly unlikely) position of hoping for UKIP success.
    True, there are limits even for me.
    Did you vote Labour last time round ? SNP looks a forgone conclusion in Dundee this time I guess with Labour nowhere near so no need to even consider it this time.
    No. I would have done if the polling had indicated that Labour had any chance but they clearly didn't. According to the local election results it is not even clear that Labour will come second in Dundee West this time. Remarkable.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I hope CCHQ are monitoring the amount of coverage Jeremy Corbyn is getting. He was on three channels, Victoria Derbyshire, Parliament and SKY, this morning, for quite some considerable time. BBC had a breaking news headline, citing the extra 37 bn for the NHS.

"Events, events, dear boy".
  • Options

I'm saying that she's piggybacking on a Crosby inspired strategy for her own low purposes. To be brutally honest I couldn't give a flying feck what Corbyn wanted 25 years ago, or now really.
    It's not like the other side in that conflict had clean hands. Nobody emerges from it in a state of beatitude.

Remember when Ruth rode the quad bike. That was brilliant.
  • Options

All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    I hope if he were still with us that John would still be fighting the good fight.

Man was a genius. A genuine poet for his times.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    JonWC said:

FF43 said:

The political landscape has changed so much the Lib Dems need to reposition. During an election campaign isn't a good time to do it, to be fair to Tim Farron. You will lose your old supporters faster than you can convince new supporters to come on board. I think they need to move to a ticket that is firmly internationalist, connected and which embraces the modern world. Somewhat returning to Liberal roots in the 19th century. Broadly similar to the CDU in Germany and Emmanuel Macron in France, spaces both the Conservative and Labour parties used to hold but have largely abandoned

Chelyabinsk came up with this analysis of centre politics in a previous thread. It identifies eight political tribes: Democratic Socialists and Community - worth 13% of the electorate and Labour core; Common Sense and Our Community - worth 50% of the electorate and claimed by May Conservatism. The remaining four tribes would be amenable to a rebranded Lib Dems and are worth a total of 31% of the electorate. (Both the distinctions between the tribes and their relative weights are fluid). They are:

Progressives (11%) Open, internationalist and inclusive view of Britain, comfortable with immigration. Belief in the welfare state, balanced view towards tax and the economy.

Swing voters (7%) Mixture of views. Support an equal society, internationalist outlook, hard stance on benefits, support a low tax economy

New Britain (6%) Open capitalist economy, pro-immigration, pro-single market, supportive of low tax economy. Business friendly, internationalist, compassionate view of society

Free Liberals (7%) Strong faith in the market, little interest in socially conservative ideas. Strongly pro-business, the most opposed to the welfare state. The most personally optimistic.

I'm more of a classical liberal, but I joined the LibDems when they were founded, and since stood for them twice for parliament and god knows how many times in local elections plus thousands of hours of my time, and decent sums of money (probably millions in opportunity cost - how daft am I?). I've never voted either Tory or Labour. In this election I am probably going to have to vote Tory, despite feeling a little dirty about it, mainly to vote against Labour. I've toyed with the idea of DNV so as not to sully myself.. but that would just make me a virtue signaller and I'd feel worse still about that.
    Welcome to the PBTories. :)

More seriously, if the Libs can't hang on to Ex Parly candidates, they're going to struggle with the average voter...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

She was in the TA.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    SKY still chasing Jeremy Hunt. I really detest this media obsession with harassing politician's outside their homes. It's pretty obvious Jeremy Hunt will not be Health Secretary after this election. Who would want this job, I have no idea.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Was it as awesome as when Nicola sat on a bike with YES stickers on it?

And a flag. Musn't forget the flag.
  • Options

The Zoomer Youth.

https://twitter.com/kevverage/status/864059495193903104

Your tax dollars at work...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    DavidL said:

All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth

Yep.
    After going through the 'Imagine is a good if ubiquitous pop song' to 'It's a pile of sentimental dreck!' process, I got an emotional jag from it when I heard it a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    DavidL said:

All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth

I used to live near Weybridge when Lennon was there and I've heard plenty of stories from local tradesmen about how badly Lennon would treat workmen; he wouldn't let them use any of the loos in his house, he wouldn't let his first wife Cynthia make coffee for them, etc. They all thought Cynthia was lovely.
  • Options

DavidL said:

All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth

Yep.
    After going through the 'Imagine is a good if ubiquitous pop song' to 'It's a pile of sentimental dreck!' process, I had an emotional jag from it when I heard it a few weeks ago.
    Jealous guy. Just magic.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

DavidL said:

All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth
    All I want is the TRuth
    Just gimme some TRuth

I used to live near Weybridge when Lennon was there and I've heard plenty of stories from local tradesmen about how badly Lennon would treat workmen; he wouldn't let them use any of the loos in his house, he wouldn't let his first wife Cynthia make coffee for them, etc. They all thought Cynthia was lovely.
    Unfortunately geniuses are not always nice people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Remarkable performance by the greens with no candidate there.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957

FF43 said:

Quite. What you're proposing is to take Progressives (the sort of people who say things like 'the bedroom tax' or 'the benefits cap is the final solution for the poor') and persuade them to join a party with ultra-dry Thatcherite Free Liberals, on the grounds that they are both 'internationalist, connected and embrace the modern world' (whatever that means- is privatising the NHS 'embracing the modern world'?). Bear in mind that the only major political realignments in Britain have resulted from the ability to mobilise particular local or sectional loyalties: the working class for Labour replacing the Liberals, and Scottish national identity for the SNP replacing Labour in Scotland.

Assuming, however, that the Lib Dems can be 100% successful in winning over these voters that leaves them losing to the Tories 50%-30%. In other words more or less where Corbyn is today, but without union backing, residual loyalty and geographically concentrated support. And your only hope of reducing their majority is to appeal to two groups whose no.1 priority is to reduce net migration to below 100,000 per year, using a party whose sole point of connection is that it's internationalist.

It's an interesting thought exercise in turning the Conservatives into the Japanese Liberal Democrats, or the Singaporean People's Action Party, but not much else.
    Top post.

If Mrs May succeeds in uniting the Right for the first time since the 80s there will be only footnotes in history for the Posh Boys' small victory in 2015.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They're wearing an SNP badge this time round
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,669
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Bizarre to release a poll a month after the fieldwork, and especially when the Greens aren't standing now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    More than a month old but it shows to me the risks of the Unionist vote splitting rather too neatly. My guess is that the Tories will do a bit better and Labour a little worse. Will it be good enough to hang on? That is the question.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Bizarre to release a poll a month after the fieldwork, and especially when the Greens aren't standing now.
    Yes, you have to wonder what on earth Survation are playing at.

Edinburgh South looks a constituency to dodge for me in betting terms.

One for the real gamblers.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Still desperate to keep up that meme?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Aye, and if we buy the 'Greens wholly owned subsidiary of the SNP' line by the SCons, that means SNP within moe of SLab.
    I'll take a wild guess that there will be much protestations that it'll not be as simple as that!
  • Options
    On topic, I think the UKIP collapse clearly benefits the Tories. That's the message from the local elections and all polls.

But there may be merit in the argument that it is better for the Tories in many places to face a much weakened UKIP than for UKIP to withdraw completely in their favour. There is no question at all but that Labour and Lib Dem candidates will use UKIP withdrawal in favour of the Tories as a key tactical message, not just with progressives but with soft Tory Remainers, and that it will be quite successful.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Pulpstar Posts:Scott_P

Of course if you add the SNP and Greens together it takes the seat to within 3 points. I'm not sure that the Stop Brexit alliance (who comissioned the poll) tactics have been fully thought through!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Kevin is at 1.22 to hold, which looks good - but even better than that is the 1.44 available in Thornbury & Yate.
    If Kevin is finding this sort of thing in Torbay then it won't be massively dissimiliar in Thornbury. Luke Hall similiarly has 1st time incumbency. It is a definite bet at 1.44 for me.

Note just noted Kevin actually has a decent majority. A bet at 1.22 as well.
    Kevin has:

- a handy majority of 3,286

- first-term incumbency. Plus he has honoured his pledge to give his Westminster pay-rise to local charities. And a weekly e-mail message to constituents about what has been happening at Westminster/in the constituency that so far has nearly 4,000 households signed up.

- A LibDem opponent only recently chosen. She has limited ties to the constituency, working in Exeter. There are issues about how much time she will have free to canvass. The former MP, Adrian Sanders, declined to stand again.

- A UKIP vote of 6,500 to plunder. UKIP are standing, but are not having the national spend they had last time (bus ads, etc)

- an enthused team that had already delivered 70,000 leaflets before the LibDems candidate was chosen.

Fair to say, Kevin is taking nothing for granted, but spirits are high.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dura_Ace said:

Was it as awesome as when Nicola sat on a bike with YES stickers on it?

And a flag. Musn't forget the flag.
    Ruth likes flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOoRAp5QtM
  • Options
    What time do they usually release the ICM poll on a Monday?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    http://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-15/jeremy-corbyn-tells-itv-tonight-freedom-of-movement-will-end-with-brexit/

Confirming that review would include Trident, he said: "Nuclear will be included in that. The bigger threats we face are actually, I think, cyber-attacks and... irrational acts of terrorism."

Irrational acts of terrorism? Corbyn is unhinged.
  • Options
    Just for fun I ran the Edinburgh South changes through Baxter.

It would result in 55 SNP, 2 Tories, 1 Lib, and Edinburgh South for Labour!

It was just for fun.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Mr. P, it's an obviously bizarre position to hold by Sturgeon.

May is surely within her rights to insist that if the Leave vote is being used as a pretext to hold a second referendum, the implication is there that an independent Scotland must look to Rejoin the EU and hence that should be on the ballot paper: "Should Scotland leave the United Kingdom and seek membership of the European Union?", perhaps.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,528
    Scott_P said:
    Denis MacShane‏ @DenisMacShane 21h21 hours ago

Canvassing in S London Labour seat and every 2nd house it was Jeremy. Never heard such hostility in 4 decades.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Jason said:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-15/jeremy-corbyn-tells-itv-tonight-freedom-of-movement-will-end-with-brexit/

Confirming that review would include Trident, he said: "Nuclear will be included in that. The bigger threats we face are actually, I think, cyber-attacks and... irrational acts of terrorism."

Irrational acts of terrorism? Corbyn is unhinged.

He has just hired a communist to run the election campaign, unhinged is too kind a word.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    I see the Tory policies to enhance workers rights

Have fallen apart quicker than cheap bog roll in a tank of water
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Laying the Republicans against their winning a plurality in the French national assembly elections at 4.3 could be reasonable. LR+UDI are polling equal second with the FN at 21% for R1, behind the Macron alliance EM-MoDem on 29%, suggesting they will win 40-80 fewer seats than Macron in metropolitan France excluding Corsica. There are 42 other seats: 11 for residents abroad, 27 for overseas France, and four for Corsica. Of those, nine are currently LR and I have no idea how many EM might win. The catch is that Betfair are listing as options "The Republicans" and "En Marche" rather than the two electoral alliances. François Bayrou's MoDem currently holds only a single seat.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Scott_P said:

Not sure I see why this is new-worthy. It's automatic - if Scotland secedes, it's a new nation state, and thus outside the EU. Nothing she can do about it either way.
  • Options
    HaHaHaHa

GO £9 by 2020

TM £8,20 BY 2020

But year off on no pay
  • Options
    A further problem with the Survation/ anti Brexit poll of Edinburgh South. They have named the wrong candidates for all the parties save Labour.

This is particularly a difficulty with regard to the SNP where Jim Eadie is a well known and highly regarded former MSP for the area.
  • Options

Well what do you expect from Milibandesque policies.
  • Options

Cheap used bog roll.
  • Options

Those policies won over 9 million votes.
  • Options
    Imagine is a ballad to hypocrisy. "Imagine there's no money" said the man, playing his piano in his mansion.

Mr. WC, look at it the other way. Imagine (ahem) you'd only ever acted in financial interest. Your bank balance might be larger, but would it be worth swapping your principles and hopes for cash?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Those policies won over 9 million votes.
    Those policies led to defeat.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Ruth and SCON appear to be courting the Orange/Loyalist Rangers vote, in much the same way that Jim Murphy tried to target minority groups in GE2015, they seem to think that people won't notice !!
  • Options
    calum said:

Ruth and SCON appear to be courting the Orange/Loyalist Rangers vote, in much the same way that Jim Murphy tried to target minority groups in GE2015, they seem to think that people won't notice !!
    Has a big May/Davidson banner been unveiled by the Gers yet ?
  • Options

Imagine is a ballad to hypocrisy. "Imagine there's no money" said the man, playing his piano in his mansion.

Mr. WC, look at it the other way. Imagine (ahem) you'd only ever acted in financial interest. Your bank balance might be larger, but would it be worth swapping your principles and hopes for cash?

Did you like yesterday's Lake Trasimene reference?

If you didn't get it/don't know about the ambush at Lake Trasimene, I'm quite happy to explain it to you.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, just how are the 'workers rights' meant to be funded?

To be honest, the more I hear from the Conservatives, the less I'm likely to vote for them.

And then Labour pipe up with their tax-and-spend socialism, led by Corbyn. For ****'s sake. Labour deserves to be crushed for their idiocy putting that far left lunatic onto the shortlist.
  • Options
    Tory MP Lucy Allan caught out turning a constituents letter into a death threat.

More Tory lies perhaps she will get promoted by May
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles (2), unfortunately, whilst I did notice it, I was too busy working on Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger (top 5 on the Asian Myths lists on Amazon UK and US, you know) *and* the F1 stuff to respond.
This discussion has been closed.