Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suggesting that the foxhunting ban could be lifted – TMay’s bi

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

IFS say labours Venezuelan utopia manifesto will cost every family £4k a year.

The definition of rich where taxes are raised certainly ain't going to be 80k, make like 8k.

It's always the way. There similarly isn't enough 'rich' people to raise super large amounts of money from.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Scott_P said:
    (56%) voters believe Jeremy Corbyn would be ‘a disaster as Prime Minister’ - including one in six Labour voters.

Hmm...
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    "I'm unconvinced that dressing up in hunting pink and rampaging through the countryside on horseback with packs of hounds is a particularly efficient means of culling"

I think this is the crux of it, not what happens to the fox but what its pursuers wear.

May should ban hunting jackets not hunting then everybody would be happy.

I would suggest that city dwellers never visit a farm or have a drink with farmworkers, its not for the squeamish.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Mr. Calum, not clicked on the link, but, in his defence, I understand proclaiming oneself to be a tiddly tinker is no way to get the ladies on such a website.

Mr. Pulpstar, isn't it three weeks between collections in Anglesey now?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    fitaloon said:

Christine Jardine's ( Lib dem Edinburgh West) husband Calum Macdonald has died. May have an impact in this seat.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15281180.Shock_at_death_of_a__great_servant__of_The_Herald/

What horrible timing for the LD candidate, 55 is no age, condolences to the Macdonald family.

And welcome back fitaloon.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737
    Good luck to them in getting rid of hard Brexit candidates.
    It's a pity this has to be done by a small selection of people behind closed doors. It's a good argument for PR - let this 70 strong group of Tories have their own party or sub-party (like CSU / CDU in Germany). Then we can vote for what we want and know what we're getting.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    edited May 2017
    On Topic

Agree this should have been swotted away as "not our priority".

Off topic - grammar schools. I went to one and was at the time extremely grateful to do so rather than go to a "bog standard comprehensive" and stagnating in a system where everyone was treated exactly the same

However bog standard comprehensives and this treatment were largely a figment of my imagination. Rich parents coaching their children up to the eyeballs are skewing the system, and it is perfectly possibly to have everyone at a comprehensive being stretched - yes including the brightest. My son's comprehensive school has just got an across the board "outstanding" from Oftsed. They expect every pupil to do well, have high standards, simple as that.

Streaming, and staff recognising that pupils have different abilities is all that is required to achieve almost all of what grammar school proponents want. This happens in my children's schools extremely effectively. And the top set in English need not be the same 30 kids as the top set in maths, or French.

It is a valid concern that bright, poor pupils do not get enough opportunity, and there are things governments can and should do about this.

But I do not believe grammar schools are the answer. Relentlessly driving up standards and expectations is.
  • Options
    A judge reckons women should be allowed to wear the veil in court:
    https://twitter.com/suaviter9/status/862945636999626752
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,663
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Selly Oak being in trouble is bad for Labour, very very bad.
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    (56%) voters believe Jeremy Corbyn would be ‘a disaster as Prime Minister’ - including one in six Labour voters.

Hmm...
    I wonder if there's any correlation with these two posts of yours.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,821
    ROYAL Bank of Scotland has refused to rule out moving its headquarters to England should the starting gun be fired on a second referendum on Scottish independence.

Chairman Sir Howard Davies yesterday told shareholders the bank would keep them “posted” on any contingency plans to move south if there is a second referendum called as he addressed the AGM.

The bank, which is 73 per cent owned by UK taxpayers, controversially stepped into the constitutional debate in the run-up to the last referendum in 2014 by declaring it would move its head office to London if Scotland voted to leave the United Kingdom.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15281978.Royal_Bank_refuses_to_rule_out_referendum_move_south/?ref=mr&lp=6
  • Options
    Incidentally although I'm pro hunting I've no idea why its being discussed, I suspect that May has barely if ever mentioned it, its just a spurious stick to beat her with.

Most farmers and hunters aren't fussed, they still kill foxes they just don't have those moronic saboteurs to contend with.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214
    Pulpstar said:

Personally I'd have thought the ever expanding bin collection periods are the biggest factor in an increase in the fox population.

We used to have problems until we went to wheelie bins. Made all the difference.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

"I'm unconvinced that dressing up in hunting pink and rampaging through the countryside on horseback with packs of hounds is a particularly efficient means of culling"

I think this is the crux of it, not what happens to the fox but what its pursuers wear.

I would suggest that city dwellers never visit a farm or have a drink with farmworkers, its not for the squeamish.

If you're unable to read, I can't help you.
  • Options

If you're unable to read, I can't help you.
    You get funnier every day!
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    I find it strange that the one Corbyn policy I support -the increase in the rate of carers' allowance - has received no attention. Having been a carer, I feel there should be far more support and I think this is something all the Parties should look at.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Selly Oak being in trouble is bad for Labour, very very bad.
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Hmm...
    I wonder if there's any correlation with these two posts of yours.
    To add some balance:

Manchester was brilliant for Labour on the night of the locals. If Corbyn were to be given the chop and Andy Burnham instated before the GE I reckon Labour could perhaps retain 200 seats.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,359

Mr. Calum, not clicked on the link, but, in his defence, I understand proclaiming oneself to be a tiddly tinker is no way to get the ladies on such a website.

Mr. Pulpstar, isn't it three weeks between collections in Anglesey now?

I'm not a great fan of unsolicited advice, but I'd definitely suggest talking about your old chap on the internet in any respect is an infallible method for not getting the ladies, or at least a sure sign of someone who is not getting the ladies.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    No UKIP in York Central, EC now projects Con gain by 3 points
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Anybody seen a figure for how many seats UKIP is contesting?
  • Options
    May up in the Northeast today, Corbyn in London...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    NeilVW said:

A bit more background on York Central.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=York+Central
  • Options
    Sporting's GE Seats spread markets remain suspended this morning .... strange.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Sky News

Corbyn speaking about defence today.

But he's not the kind of person you expect to see out shaking a Bucket for Help for Heroes.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, probably sound advice.
  • Options
    Clutching at straws:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/862957805162123264

If the Conservatives took this seat, they'd be looking at a majority of about 300.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It should also be noted that while a similar pledge was made in 2010 and 2015, such a vote has never in those years reached the floor of the Commons, and there is no reason to suspect that it will in the next parliament....

I don't think that this is correct. The reason it didn't come to a vote in the 2010 and 2015 parliaments was very simple: those wanting to overturn the ban knew perfectly well that they would lose any such vote, given the numbers.

If the next parliament has a very large Tory majority, then I think their calculation will be that this will be the best time to go for it.

As regards the politics of this from Theresa May, I agree with those who have said it's a mistake. She didn't need to say anything, except perhaps that it's a matter for parliament in a free vote and the government would not have a position. That would be enough for the pro-hunting lobby, and wouldn't have given much meat for the anti-hunting lobby to get their claws into (if you pardon the metaphor).
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Did we ever get a definitive answer to how many seats UKIP are standing in?

Not seen a comprehensive list so far, just the odd regional report from the local rag. @isam mentioned yesterday there may be as many as 400 UKiP candidates standing, although there has been no confirmation afaik.
    Once we have a figure (and I suspect that it will turn out to be less than that, the figure I saw yesterday was 11 out of 59 in Scotland, for example) the pollsters will have to try to work out what to do about it. Reporting 10% for UKIP doesn't make much sense if only half the country has the option.
    This applies to the Greens somewhat too:

Sum through the votes in all the consituencies UKIP is standing in and divide through by the 2015 baseline.

That'll give a multiplication factor which can be applied to the calculated score - the rest of the UKIP votes can then be redistributed as the original UKIP movement has in the poll.

That should be a reasonably quick method.

Mind you we have pollsters like ORB still pumping out fake news regarding Labour and the Tories getting 6 to 8% in Northern Ireland...
    I am not so convinced that kipper voters can simply be reassigned to the Tories in all areas. It probably is accurate across the shires, as we saw last week. Will the same happen in urban areas in the North and Midlands? probably true for many, but I expect many more to go to DNV or to other parties including Labour.
    One very important thing to remember also. There are plenty of shire conservatives who voted and campaigned to remain, many after having played the Eurosceptic card for years.
  • Options

Anybody seen a figure for how many seats UKIP is contesting?

This may help:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/862958410677063680
  • Options
    starkdogstarkdog Posts: 4
    The Greens arent standing in York Central either so those EC figures look wrong.
    http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/15280242.Greens_withdraw_from_York_Central_fight_to_avoid__splitting_the_vote_/?ref=mr&lp=8
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The story is a 2 page spread in this week's Stirling Observer (not online yet) - SCON are really getting on the wrong side of this one - decisive action by Ruth could have nipped this one in the bud and triggered a by election which SCON would have walked.

Most of the SCON supporters I know locally are horrified !!
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

NeilVW said:

A bit more background on York Central.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=York+Central
    It was Tory when I first moved there in the 80's. cant remember exactly when they lost it. I can certainly see some potential for tactical voting there by the LDs and Greens.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited May 2017
    Result from last night's by election West Norfolk DC Fairstead ward Labour hold

Lab 254 Con 189 UKIP 68 LD 66

2015 result Lab 753/727 UKIP 599 Con 593/469
  • Options
    Somewhat surprisingly, I have a UKIP candidate available to vote for in Islington South & Finsbury. I would have thought they might have found more promising constituencies if resources are scarce.
  • Options
    calum said:

The story is a 2 page spread in this week's Stirling Observer (not online yet) - SCON are really getting on the wrong side of this one - decisive action by Ruth could have nipped this one in the bud and triggered a by election which SCON would have walked.

Most of the SCON supporters I know locally are horrified !!
    I quite like the idea of Ruthy nipping this one in the bud..
  • Options

Somewhat surprisingly, I have a UKIP candidate available to vote for in Islington South & Finsbury. I would have thought they might have found more promising constituencies if resources are scarce.

They aren't scarce - I think PB has done it's usual thing of assuming it knows about a party that isn't exactly prominent on this website.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,030

What might have been...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The main problem for th eTories in this is that it's a weird thing to appear to lead off with when thewy're so far perceived to have said very little about their policies.

They may well increase taxes and NI, but aren't sure.
    They may well abolish the triple loc, but won't say definitely.
    They are in favour of relaxing planning controls in the countrytside, but won't say how.
    But they are DEFINITELY in favour of giving the chance to reintroduce fox-hunting.

Isn't that a bit odd, even if you're a Conservative AND rather like fox-hunting?

I disagree with a lot of what Nick Palmer says and still find his transformation from Blairite to Brownite to Millifan to Corbynite pretty amazing even in today's unpredictable, volatile political arena but I think what he says here is pretty close to mark in many ways.

I'm very pro-May and will definitely be a Con voter with her as leader (were it Johnson or Gove things would be very different) but have been disappointed with her campaign so far. There needs to be more to it than simply 'best leader to deliver Brexit' and the odd bit of red meat to her right-wing on Grammar Schools and fox hunting.

The polls show that she is the most popular leader since goodness knows when so why is she being kept away from the public? Get her out there meeting people.

Corbyn has had a good campaign so far IMO with a radical manifesto however away with the fairies it may be and lots of out and about with voters showing him in a much better light - definitely better than the Tories. Despite all that there's not a chance in hell I'd vote Labour while he's leader mind...
    The danger for the Conservatives is that they end up with a lot more MPs who feel very strongly -- in either direction -- about Europe. Tony Blair would put the embarrassing stuff in the manifesto so the whips could point to the small print and remind the awkward squad that they themselves had been elected to send small boys up chimneys, or whatever it was. While Theresa May claims to have called the election to win a mandate for her brand of Brexit, unless she spells out what this entails, she might end up with a pyrrhic victory as all the old rows are reignited.
  • Options
    I think May is a lucky general. This fox thing is just stupid. Having said that, she could probably announce a general cull of all wildlife with illiegal snares as long as she's against Corbyn.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,816
    I would say the bigger potential Conservative manifesto mistakes would be the guarantees that are being flagged up for immigration in the tens of thousands, no ECJ oversight, no Euro FoM and exit from the Single Market. They probably won't be able to deliver these, except possibly with extreme spin on the results.
  • Options
    Who are the Ashfield Independents, and will they hurt Del Piero or the Tories more?
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    Dura_Ace

'How do you know this? When was your vulpine agony meter last calibrated?'

When people supporting a ban on hunting also support a ban on halal & kosher slaughter I will believe they actually care about animal cruelty.

• Options
    FF43 said:

I would say the bigger potential Conservative manifesto mistakes would be the guarantees that are being flagged up for immigration in the tens of thousands, no ECJ oversight, no Euro FoM and exit from the Single Market. They probably won't be able to deliver these, except possibly with extreme spin on the results.

I'm expecting a quite hefty Tory manifesto so if the Lords play silly buggers she can Salisbury-Addison convention stuff through.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,487
    tlg86 said:

Who are the Ashfield Independents, and will they hurt Del Piero or the Tories more?

Their leader is ex-LibDem: Jason Zadrozny.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

My word is there anything that winds people up more than the trivial issue of fox hunting, I live in an area where country folk love animals but aren't sentimental about them. City dwellers need to understand that farmers kill foxes all the time, they don't read them a bedside story first. Foxes are essentially nice looking rats.

You seem to think city dwellers are unfamiliar with foxes. Urban foxes are endemic. I've seen them walking down my street in central London.
    I never said they were unfamiliar, I said they don't understand that farmers kill them all the time, not for fun but because they are a nuisance.

That is what city dwellers don't understand, farmers kill things without sentiment but for good reason.
    City dwellers are very well aware that foxes are a nuisance.
    So how do you propose that their numbers are controlled?
    If you think hunts are an effective method of fox control they you are crazy in the membrane.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Why doesn't the Labour party actually try to hit the Tory party?

Right-wing points in the Labour manifesto include

* support for NATO
    * support for British nuclear weapons
    * support for the arms industry
    * support for Israel

Near the beginning, it has this right-wing muck:

"Labour understands that wealth creation is a collective endeavour – between investors, workers, public services, and government. Each contributes and each must share equitably in the rewards."

That makes any serious left-wing person cringe.

Stupid crap includes

* bilge about gay and transsexual rights
    * lowering voting age to 16 (i.e. the Facebook vote)

Positive promises in the document include:

* higher income tax for the top 5%
    * higher corporation tax
    * ban zero-hours contracts
    * higher penalties for employers who pay less than the minimum wage
    * taking action on tax havens
    * a public register of beneficial owners for all companies and trusts
    * cutting waiting time for NHS treatment
    * renationalisation of rail
    * renationalisation of what used to be a state mail service
    * extension of Freedom of Information Act to companies that run public services

and a measure which is in the right direction but goes nothing like far enough:

* making private schools charge VAT

Unfortunately, the manifesto contains absolutely nothing on

* inheritance tax
    * abolition of the monarchy
    * hitting the banks

The proposed National Investment Bank will be funded by public money leveraged with private sector finance, with the aim of filling "gaps in lending" by private banks. In other words, Labour proposes a government of bankers' lackeys, rather like the existing one.

Corbyn is no Mélenchon.

• Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,000
    The problem with this type of polling is that they are not including salience. For example, I don't particularly like the idea of fox hunting but it's not something I really care about that much.

They should follow up by asking how influential these issues are when deciding who to vote for?

I would also like to dig a little deeper into some of these answers

Why do the public think zero hours contracts should be banned? I suspect it is because the labour party have constantly denounced them while no-one has ever offered an alternative argument e.g. flexibility
  • Options

tlg86 said:

"Putting People Before Politics" Lol that is the Local Lib Dem strapline here.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

It makes the Conservatives look backward-looking, cruel and obsessed by trivia. Theresa May should never have gone near the subject.

Completely agree. It is not going to come close to changing my vote but the key to the success of David Cameron and now Theresa May was the detoxification of the Tory image from where the party was in the sad days of that well known rapper, IDS. This is a backward step which, although not decisive, will make many think, do I really have something in common with that party? Do they reflect my values?

Stupid mistake and getting the Countryside Alliance to deliver leaflets for you in ultra safe seats (post the demise of UKIP) is no compensation at all.
    Yep. The Nasty party is back.

That's good news for those of us who liked the Nasty Party.
    There aren't enough of you. Just you and Essex.
    Plus me. And unlike you I've got a vote in the GE.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,210
    edited May 2017
    FF43 said:

Bear in mind the 2015 manisfesto commitment to stay in the single market, and the method by which it had to be abandoned. If May has a second referendum up her sleeve, the manifesto just becomes more posturing to try to convince the other side that she's serious.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Most people do not put keeping the fox hunting ban as a major factor in how they vote apart from animal rights radicals who will already be voting Labour or LD or SNP or Green anyway. However supporters of foxhunting do put it at the top of their list and they do campaign and leaflet hard if required which would help the Tories in rural marginals, especially in Scotland. Many of them will be far from riffs, indeed in country areas a lot of working class people too are involved in fox hunting

The opposite also applies. Anti-hunt campaigners were active in the centre of Chester on numerous occasions on the run up to 2015. There were a number of letters in the local press attacking the then MPs pro-hunting stance. He was ousted by 96 votes.

In the areas where pro-hunting helps the Tories I suspect they would win without their assistance

I doubt hunting affects too many votes but it stands to reason that if opponents outnumber supporters by 4 to 1 any affect it does have is likely to be to the benefit of anti-hunting candidates.

I wonder if being pro-hunting in Vauxhall might be the final nail in Kate Hoey's coffin.
    Well it never has been so far.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    It's very easy to prove that Theresa May has been an opponent of the hunting ban for her entire political career. She didn't "announce" this as part of her electoral strategy; she was asked a direct question. If she hadn't been direct in her response, the headlines would have been "Evil May lies about support for cruel fox slaughter", which wouldn't have been a great deal better for her.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

FF43 said:

I'm expecting a quite hefty Tory manifesto so if the Lords play silly buggers she can Salisbury-Addison convention stuff through.
    Undoubtedly. Mrs May spends more time and energy shoring up her rhetorical position with internal critics than she does on getting a good practical settlement for the UK. In answer to critics who say, "that's crap", she can say "that's what people voted for". When it might be better to give herself a free hand to make it less crap.
  • Options
    Obviously, I'm in one of the UK's most hotly-contested seats so it's different here. But has the campaign really taken off in England? Or is the election a bit weird with Labour defending stoutly in central Birmingham and Leicester?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I think May is a lucky general. This fox thing is just stupid. Having said that, she could probably announce a general cull of all wildlife with illiegal snares as long as she's against Corbyn.

Yes, the Tories haven't got much apart from "we're strong, we mean business, we'll show those foreigners what's what, and Labour are commies led by a man with a beard". Supporting foxhunting is the Tories foaming at the mouth. They're f***ed if they can't have everything they want, and kill any whingeing minnies who say otherwise! The foxhunting lobby is the Tory party on horseback.

• Options
    Mr. 43, worth recalling, though, that if she pisses off the PCP sufficiently they'll throw her overboard.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Yes, the Tories haven't got much apart from "we're strong, we mean business, we'll show those foreigners what's what, and Labour are commies led by a man with a beard". Supporting foxhunting is the Tories foaming at the mouth. They're f***ed if they can't have everything they want, and kill any whingeing minnies who say otherwise! The foxhunting lobby is the Tory party on horseback.

The Tories have very little going for them but the will win a landslide because Labour have nothing at all going for them and both the Lib Dems and Ukip are effectively dead.
  • Options
    Lucian_FletcherLucian_Fletcher Posts: 793
    edited May 2017

Cyan said:

The Tories have very little going for them but the will win a landslide because Labour have nothing at all going for them and both the Lib Dems and Ukip are effectively dead.
    Oh and, as a bonus, one thing the Tories do have going for them is Ruth Davidson who will deliver a number of seats.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    OT but I am putting a small wager on Labour regaining Gower. The Green candidate has stood aside and the 1300 or so votes will be more than enough for Labour in the constituency with the smallest Tory majority. Ps UKIP are standing.
  • Options

Obviously, I'm in one of the UK's most hotly-contested seats so it's different here. But has the campaign really taken off in England? Or is the election a bit weird with Labour defending stoutly in central Birmingham and Leicester?

East Derry for you isn't it this election ?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065
    walterw said:

Dura_Ace

'How do you know this? When was your vulpine agony meter last calibrated?'

When people supporting a ban on hunting also support a ban on halal & kosher slaughter I will believe they actually care about animal cruelty.

I would support a 100% ban on halal and kosher slaughter. Am I allowed to care about alcohol fuelled fox excrutiation on horseback now?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

"Putting People Before Politics" Lol that is the Local Lib Dem strapline here.

Not true in Buckingham where some national Lib Dem party elements have used force majeure to remove the approved candidate selected in the snap election process by the Region officials. Lib Dems playing politics to stop the people having a Lib Dem candidate.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    I wonder if the swivel-eyed, right wing loons who have had the BBC bias shtick down pat for years are beginning to realise how ridiculous they have looked and sounded to most people:
    https://twitter.com/ChriswMP/status/862922737903382528
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

East Derry for you isn't it this election ?
    How very dare you. I would be East Londonderry if I was there ;)

As it is, no, I'm FST.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

My word is there anything that winds people up more than the trivial issue of fox hunting, I live in an area where country folk love animals but aren't sentimental about them. City dwellers need to understand that farmers kill foxes all the time, they don't read them a bedside story first. Foxes are essentially nice looking rats.

You seem to think city dwellers are unfamiliar with foxes. Urban foxes are endemic. I've seen them walking down my street in central London.
    I never said they were unfamiliar, I said they don't understand that farmers kill them all the time, not for fun but because they are a nuisance.

That is what city dwellers don't understand, farmers kill things without sentiment but for good reason.
    Yes, I am sure the turning over of rubbish bins can be a dreadful inconvenience. If they saw the results of a fox attack on a hen house, or in lambing season they might be a little less sentimental.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Cyan said:

The boot is being applied hard to both Labour and UKIP, using both overt and covert means. It may soon get applied hard too to the LibDems and SNP. Got to remember that most of Theresa May's stated reasons for calling this election (SNP, House of Lords, Brexit negotiations) were false. The only true one out of the reasons she stated was to get rid of division at Westminster.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I wonder if the swivel-eyed, right wing loons who have had the BBC bias shtick down pat for years are beginning to realise how ridiculous they have looked and sounded to most people:

Not really, I think there is a bias in the BBC for the reasons given by John Humphries. That numpties like Barry Gardiner think the BBC has a right wing bias (well, it's pro EU, so it does in that sense), then that's his problem.

EDIT: Just to add, one thing the BBC has improved in the last few weeks is they are saying as standard "the NHS in England" which they weren't doing during the Copeland by-election.
  • Options

MPs coming out with this rubbish is more despairing than when anonymous social media warriors do.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

[...]
    Stupid crap includes

[...]

I am in favour of lowering the voting age to 16. We have it in Scotland for local and Holyrood elections. It might originally have been a bit of posturing by Alex Salmond, but I see it as beneficial. It means students can participate in elections while at school, possibly as part of a civic studies lesson, and hopefully create a habit of voting when they leave school. There is no evidence that younger voters take their selections any less seriously than older folk.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,453

You're not getting confused with slightly lost Leicester City fans?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,173
    Pulpstar said:

I have a theory that the Tories find alot of voters out the woodwork who don't bother for locals (More to do with the fact they're the Government rather than the Tories to be honest):

When we have a look at the final result this graph might prove my point...

https://twitter.com/WinLD/status/862610934547795968

Do you think the LibDem candidate will get shat upon in the General?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Not a lot of activity in Leicester. All three seats look safe for Labour to me, including Liz Kendall in West. Evens on Tories here is far too short, particularly with the kippers standing.

Posterwatch Leicester: 1 Lab poster in studenty Clarendon park. One Tory poster in largely Asian Evington Rd, both Leicester South. Keith Vaz has posters up, and a few orange diamonds in Oadby and Hinckley (Harborough and Bosworth respectively).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,453
    The temptation to play safe with the Tory manifesto must be strong and May is instinctively cautious but in my view it would be a mistake. One of the criticisms of May is that she did not have a mandate. This is it. What sort of a country does she want to build over the next 5 years? What, other than being strong and stable, is her Premiership for? I hope she is brave enough to set out a vision. For good or ill we have a right to know.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    valleyboy said:

OT but I am putting a small wager on Labour regaining Gower. The Green candidate has stood aside and the 1300 or so votes will be more than enough for Labour in the constituency with the smallest Tory majority. Ps UKIP are standing.

It was Labour for 105 years in a row so could reasonably switch back, however a couple of issues.

1: The MP is standing again and should get a first time incumbency bonus.
    2: UKIP got 4,773 votes last time, if the Tory gets two-thirds of those as many polls show then that's 3,000 votes - which is more than the Green vote.

However:
    3: No Plaid Cymru candidate either. That's another 3k votes in the mix.

The absence of the Green alone would likely not have been sufficient, the absence of PC too might be.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

Our team is a bit ambivalent about foxes. The mascot is Filbert Fox, but the team comes out to the sound of a hunting horn, and the older badges were of hunting regalia.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I have a theory that the Tories find alot of voters out the woodwork who don't bother for locals (More to do with the fact they're the Government rather than the Tories to be honest):

I think they'll probably get around 15-16,000 votes or so...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,718
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Is Mark Oaten standing again?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Most people do not put keeping the fox hunting ban as a major factor in how they vote apart from animal rights radicals who will already be voting Labour or LD or SNP or Green anyway. However supporters of foxhunting do put it at the top of their list and they do campaign and leaflet hard if required which would help the Tories in rural marginals, especially in Scotland. Many of them will be far from riffs, indeed in country areas a lot of working class people too are involved in fox hunting

The opposite also applies. Anti-hunt campaigners were active in the centre of Chester on numerous occasions on the run up to 2015. There were a number of letters in the local press attacking the then MPs pro-hunting stance. He was ousted by 96 votes.

In the areas where pro-hunting helps the Tories I suspect they would win without their assistance

I doubt hunting affects too many votes but it stands to reason that if opponents outnumber supporters by 4 to 1 any affect it does have is likely to be to the benefit of anti-hunting candidates.
    Support by Theresa May and many other Tories for foxhunting is something that Labour should mention in their broadcasts. Foxhunting is not simply an issue produced by intellectial disagreement or a conflict of material interests. Enjoying killing animals is obscene. The vast majority of the British population know that. Come on, Corbyn! Put an image of a slaughtered fox on the Tory banner and show it on people's TV screens. Show the enemy in their true colours.

Man with a beard? Or a redcoat smearing a child with fox blood? People of Britain, it's your choice.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Is Mark Oaten standing again?
    Squating surely.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Cyan said:

[...]
    Stupid crap includes

[...]

I am in favour of lowering the voting age to 16. We have it in Scotland for local and Holyrood elections. It might originally have been a bit of posturing by Alex Salmond, but I see it as beneficial. It means students can participate in elections while at school, possibly as part of a civic studies lesson, and hopefully create a habit of voting when they leave school. There is no evidence that younger voters take their selections any less seriously than older folk.
    Why not lower it to 12? 10? My three year old daughter has figured out to draw an X now can she vote?

There has to be a line at which you are an adult and that should be where you can vote. School lessons should be kept at school.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

valleyboy said:

It was Labour for 105 years in a row so could reasonably switch back, however a couple of issues.

2: UKIP got 4,773 votes last time, if the Tory gets two-thirds of those as many polls show then that's 3,000 votes - which is more than the Green vote.

However:

The absence of the Green alone would likely not have been sufficient, the absence of PC too might be.
    I'm glad you agree that's Gower is one to watch with betting possibilities. If I hear any gossip from there I will pass it on here.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448

Yes, I am sure the turning over of rubbish bins can be a dreadful inconvenience. If they saw the results of a fox attack on a hen house, or in lambing season they might be a little less sentimental.
    So why then choose to advocate such an inefficient means of pest control? Indeed, a means *so* inefficient that pro-hunt campaigners have made a virtue of how few foxes die?

Hunting with dogs is cruel and unnecessary and the ban should stay.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210

Not a lot of activity in Leicester. All three seats look safe for Labour to me, including Liz Kendall in West. Evens on Tories here is far too short, particularly with the kippers standing.

Posterwatch Leicester: 1 Lab poster in studenty Clarendon park. One Tory poster in largely Asian Evington Rd, both Leicester South. Keith Vaz has posters up, and a few orange diamonds in Oadby and Hinckley (Harborough and Bosworth respectively).
    Is Cons for Leicester East worth a speculative punt? Can't imagine Keith Vaz's recent activities going down too well with the electorate?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    TW1R64 said:

I do resent the way the left have hijacked the word "progressive" and without any challenge in the MSM.

The word seems meaningless, and advocates of the progressive alliance should stop faffing about and just join one big party if stopping the tories is the only thing that matters, give up the pretence they believe their own party is best.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

However:

I'm glad you agree that's Gower is one to watch with betting possibilities. If I hear any gossip from there I will pass it on here.
    Mind if I ask what are the odds?

Without having looked them up I would give the MP a 70% chance of holding on (due to first time incumbency bonus).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Cyan said:

[...]
    Stupid crap includes

[...]

Yeah, it was such a bit of posturing that it was a sticking point for the Edinburgh Agreement, and has been applied to all elections over which Holyrood has control.

How well I remember the crowing about it being a fatal error for Salmond and the breathless reporting of all those secondary school debates that were won by Bettertogether. Now the same people are reduced to predicting that all those feckless Indy youths will turn into their Unionist grannies in the fullness of time.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

MPs coming out with this rubbish is more despairing than when anonymous social media warriors do.
    Remember, this dickhead hasn't been an MP since he lost in 2015
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Cyan said:

Thank you for your extraordinary insights on the Tory party. As a member, heavily opposed to fox-hunting, who won't have the hunt on his land, I would never have known that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,030

valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

However:

Mind if I ask what are the odds?

Without having looked them up I would give the MP a 70% chance of holding on (due to first time incumbency bonus).
    Did we have that bet about UKIP and 20%?
  • Options
    ‪You can't help but wonder how different things would have been. Probably no UK involvement in the Iraq war for starters. ‬

https://twitter.com/labour_history/status/862917664330481664
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

DavidL said:

It makes the Conservatives look backward-looking, cruel and obsessed by trivia. Theresa May should never have gone near the subject.

Completely agree. It is not going to come close to changing my vote but the key to the success of David Cameron and now Theresa May was the detoxification of the Tory image from where the party was in the sad days of that well known rapper, IDS. This is a backward step which, although not decisive, will make many think, do I really have something in common with that party? Do they reflect my values?

Stupid mistake and getting the Countryside Alliance to deliver leaflets for you in ultra safe seats (post the demise of UKIP) is no compensation at all.
    Yep. The Nasty party is back.

Oh please. You seem to be trying to make this a line, but it's one policy. One I wouldn't support, but I'd laugh in the face of any canvasser attempting to sway me on the basis of it, however unnecessary bringing it up is.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Blimey all this talk of the Gower.

I'm on Byron at 1-7 to win 50. With the Tories polling in the mid 40s I think he'll be OK xD
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    valleyboy said:

valleyboy said:

However:

Thanks for flagging up that one. It's an interesting suggestion and could well be a seat which bucks the trend, for the reasons you and @Philip_Thompson give. I've taken a nibble of the 6/1.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Cyan said:

[...]
    Stupid crap includes

[...]

Why not lower it to 12? 10? My three year old daughter has figured out to draw an X now can she vote?

There has to be a line at which you are an adult and that should be where you can vote. School lessons should be kept at school.
    Setting the line at when you can leave home, work full time, get married and pay taxes seems pretty uncontroversial to me.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited May 2017

‪You can't help but wonder how different things would have been. Probably no UK involvement in the Iraq war for starters. ‬

https://twitter.com/labour_history/status/862917664330481664

In much the same fashion, a failed Gordon Brown premiership after he quit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,210

Blair would probably still have become PM at some point, but after having had ministerial experience.
  • Options
    Oh God Not Richard Nabavi too..
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I love watching a fox hunt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzo1DMi14JY
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    DavidL said:

Urban foxes tend to be bolder than their rural cousins. In the cities, they're primarily scavengers rather than predators, and this affects behaviour.
This discussion has been closed.