Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB’s Nick Palmer wins the Broxtowe nomination so he can fig

2»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,084
    Energy has to come from somewhere. Fracking has to be explored.

The more interesting story today on energy was in (or just off of) Wales, where they're planning to create an artificial lagoon off the coast to generate power from the tides. It'll be interesting to see how well that works.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,814
    edited August 2013
    No Opinium poll tonight because it's fortnightly and there was one last week.
  • Options
    Personally I'm in favour of all energy sources: fracking, wind turbines, nuclear, wind, tide, etc.

Anything to stop us being reliant on Saudi Arabia and similar places.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,084
    Mr. JS, there's that, and Russian gas.

I'm not fond of wind turbines, but tidal and hydroelectric could be another matter. Modern solar panels apparently function with daylight rather than sunlight, so they'd always provide *some* electricity.

Anyway, I'm off for the night.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,815
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    charlie whelan ‏@charliewhelan 5h
    Today's Guardian claims Ian Austin thinks @Ed_Miliband should get Mandy to help run election! Didn't he run the worst campaign in history?

Ian Austin ‏@IanAustinMP 1h
    Come on @charliewhelan: get over it. Like one of those old Japanese soldiers found in jungle in 70's cos they didn't know the war was over

I think Mandy ran a brilliant campaign in 2010. Although Labour were the government the whole campaign was about what the tories were going to do and how horrible and scary that would be. Without Mandy Labour could have lost another 100 seats with a muppet like Brown as leader. He managed to make the alternative look worse to a lot of people. Truly remarkable given what he had to work with.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Personally I'm in favour of all energy sources: fracking, wind turbines, nuclear, wind, tide, etc.

Anything to stop us being reliant on Saudi Arabia and similar places.

I propose our "tim" as a new source of energy - 7400 posts in a few months suggests a very efficient power source :)
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Comprehensive schooling

I was looking for a real reason rather than one of your tired attack lines but thanks for trying.
  • Options
    @Carola

"the plan will be wrecked if anyone finds out the Tories are behind it"

oops...
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'... heaping praise on the Mayor of London's ability to grasp detail.' That is Boris he's talking about?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Carola said:
    Reveals YouGov headline figures

Lab 38% Con 32% LD 10% UKIP 13%

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,288
    I have been following these recent developments with interest, its obvious that the powers that be have serious intelligence about a clear and present danger to the US and UK right now. Yokel has not been around for a while now on PB, hopefully he will resurface soon and be in a position to cast some light on this situation.
    AveryLP said:

Obama and Cameron have a more urgent need to respond to the current security threat in the Middle East.

With 'Al Quaeda' prisoner breakouts, the disintegration of all order in the Yemen, the withdrawal of diplomatic missions and clearly identified threats to western civil and state assets, the late summer is full of clear and present danger.

Would be interesting to hear from Y0kel on what is being whispered amongst those in the know.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'... heaping praise on the Mayor of London's ability to grasp detail.' That is Boris he's talking about?
    You should have prewarned us that the article is bylined with Isabel Oakeshott.

'nuff said.

• Options
    @AveryLP

How long before she outs the person that leaked the story to her?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

The old 'but that's by Hodges (or whoever)/in the Daily Mail/Guardian (or whatever)' yaddayadda... et tu Avery?
  • Options
    Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

The old 'but that's by Hodges (or whoever)/in the Daily Mail/Guardian (or whatever)' yaddayadda... et tu Avery?
    Then fall Avery.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2013
    It is peculiar that Tim and Blair are so enthusiastic about getting involved in Syria, when the two wine loving liberal interventionists would be beheaded in a trice there.

No, it is far better for them to pontificate over a glass of something red, and send Tommy Atkins to die.

Syria is tragedy, but no business of ours. The entire middle east is not worth the bones of another British grenadier.
    SeanT said:

tim said:

How many deaths is inaction in Syria, Bosnia and Rwanda responsible for?
    Always easier to do nothing

No one's stopping you from volunteering for the Free Syrian Army, tim. Go on, finally change your y-fronts, emerge blinking from your Wirral basement, and get a flight to Damascus (hint: it's even further away than Stockport), then Do Your Thang.

I'm sure the jihadists would welcome the help of a failed, faintly bewildered, middle aged wine-merchant from Liverpool as they try to ethnically cleanse Christians from the country with torture and kidnapping.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10218869/Syrian-Christian-towns-emptied-by-sectarian-violence.html

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,121
    edited August 2013
    AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

Why are you discussing Brutus without me, PB's foremost expert on Caesar, the second greatest tactician and strategist in human history after Eisenhower

It's like having a train discussion without Sunil or an orgy without any lubricant.

Everyone knows you're more suited to be Mark Antony or maybe Octavian
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I reckon that's a "source close to Lynton Crosby".

Show that the Tories care about UKIP voters, implant the idea that UKIP need to check their new councillors, show both sides of the delicate argument over the van. Demonstrate at once that the Tories aren't rushing in and that Crosby isn't the hardliner - something that may become important in terms of how he comes across later.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No doubt the Sunday's will be focussing on both Crosby and the Messina appointment, another weekend where the Labour party appears to be absent and bereft of a media message.

Just read the Times Front page expose of Crosby's election strategy with interest. The cynic in me finds it striking that an old hand like Crosby would have allowed such a detailed account of his strategy to accidently make it onto any front page of newspaper.
    AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    It's YouGov that's been rock steady.

I make that 6, 6, 5, 6, 7, 6, 6 Lab lead, going back.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

Why are you discussing Brutus without me, PB's foremost expert on Caesar, the second greatest tactician and strategist in human history after Eisenhower

It's like having a train discussion without Sunil or an orgy without any lubricant.

Eisenhower???? Pray tell why.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    welshowl said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

Eisenhower oversaw the greatest seaborne invasion in human history, whilst having to deal with De Gaulle and The French.

Overlord had the potential to be an unmitigated disaster, he ensured it wasn't.

Western Europe became free thanks to him.

And if Overlord had failed, the alternative would have been to nuke Germany in the summer of 1945, thus saving the Germans from an even worse fate than being partitioned or the Ruskies from liberating and occupying the whole of mainland Europe.

Two things that would have happened if Overlord had failed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

Why are you discussing Brutus without me, PB's foremost expert on Caesar.

Definitely Mark Anthony, TSE.

Caesar forsook Cleopatra for Calpurnia.

Mark Anthony was undone by Cleopatra.

Octavian was far more sensible: a Nabavi type character.

• Options
    This test match reminds of the Ashes tests I grew up with in the 90s

Aussies rack up a load of runs and make the England bowlers look like the Carthaginians at Zama and then England supporters spend the rest of the test praying for rain.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

Why can I see this turning into Carry on Cleo?
  • Options

welshowl said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

Eisenhower oversaw the greatest seaborne invasion in human history, whilst having to deal with De Gaulle and The French.

And if Overlord had failed, the alternative would have been to nuke Germany in the summer of 1945, thus saving the Germans from an even worse fate than being partitioned.
    All true but I fail to see why the result is attributable to Eisenhower. Had say Lawton Collins or Omar Bradley (or G Marsall) been in charge would it have been different? Whereas had anyone else but Napoleon been in charge at Magenta or Austerlitz or Ceasar invading Gaul things may well have been radically different? Discuss ?
  • Options
    But Oakeshott half-identifies the source as having been "in a private meeting with Crosby".

Too obvious a plant unless we take Neil's sane view that no source is safe with Oakeshott.
    fitalass said:

No doubt the Sunday's will be focussing on both Crosby and the Messina appointment, another weekend where the Labour party appears to be absent and bereft of a media message.

Just read the Times Front page expose of Crosby's election strategy with interest. The cynic in me finds it striking that an old hand like Crosby would have allowed such a detailed account of his strategy to accidently make it onto any front page of newspaper.

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

• Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

And if Overlord had failed, the alternative would have been to nuke Germany in the summer of 1945, thus saving the Germans from an even worse fate than being partitioned.
    All true but I fail to see why the result is attributable to Eisenhower. Had say Lawton Collins or Omar Bradley (or G Marsall) been in charge would it have been different? Whereas had anyone else but Napoleon been in charge at Magenta or Austerlitz or Ceasar invading Gaul things may well have been radically different? Discuss ?
    We shall have to discuss this on another day, a day when I'm not tired and drunk far too much mango juice.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'How many deaths is inaction in Syria, Bosnia and Rwanda responsible for?
    Always easier to do nothing'

How many deaths is'action' responsible for in Iraq?

500,000 and still increasing 10 years after the invasion.
  • Options

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

We shall have to discuss this on another day, a day when I'm not tired and drunk far too much mango juice.
    Fair enough. That mango juice can fell an elephant ;-)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,386
    Belated thanks for all the friendly posts - I put out a note on my email list and have been buried in supportive emails and tweets and texts from constituents - well, except for one who grumpily and erroneously says "I suppose McCluskey will be pleased!". The man in the striped shirt on the right was my strongest opponent, but has instantly rallied round. The campaign starts tomorrow with a challenge to AS to debate health policy in Broxtowe - can she refuse to discuss her own brief in front of her own constituents? The local newspaper editor has already offered to chair it.

If people are interested in following it, they can subscribe to my updates here:
    http://www.nickpalmer.org.uk/
    and to Anna's here:
    http://www.annasoubry.org.uk/
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

Why can I see this turning into Carry on Cleo?
    Titter ye not!

Otherwise we might cast you as Lurcio.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
  • Options
    Well the Sunday Times has put up the Crosby story.

A few things, Crosby and the client, have issued what can be described as "Non denial, denials"

But Crosby wants a figurehead to consistently attack UKIP.

He has shortlisted it to three people, Boris Johnson, Norman Tebbit or Cecil Parkinson.

He has ruled out Michael Heseltine.
  • Options

Belated thanks for all the friendly posts - I put out a note on my email list and have been buried in supportive emails and tweets and texts from constituents - well, except for one who grumpily and erroneously says "I suppose McCluskey will be pleased!". The man in the striped shirt on the right was my strongest opponent, but has instantly rallied round. The campaign starts tomorrow with a challenge to AS to debate health policy in Broxtowe - can she refuse to discuss her own brief in front of her own constituents? The local newspaper editor has already offered to chair it.

If people are interested in following it, they can subscribe to my updates here:
    and to Anna's here:

Well done, Nick. You are right, the campaign starts tomorrow. She surely cannot excuse herself out of a debate on health.
  • Options

A few things, Crosby and the client, have issued what can be described as "Non denial, denials"

He has shortlisted it to three people, Boris Johnson, Norman Tebbit or Cecil Parkinson.

Has anyone seen Cecil Parkinson since Caesarion was born?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Cecil is the favourite, Tebbit's persona non grata with Dave, and Cecil is close to William Hague, he was also Party Chairman under William Hague.
  • Options

So, if it was not Crosby, who was it then ? Stills, Nash or Young ?

I think May. She wants to be leader !
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    surbiton said:

James Bethell, director of Westbourne Communications

Edit: For clarification, he's not the one who leaked it, he just did the non denial denial

He just said “People in politics chit-chat about strategy, moan about their opponents and bounce ideas around all the time. It would be a grave mistake to read too much into a matey midsummer chinwag.”
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It was a burly policeman, Surby.

• Options

surbiton said:

Edit: For clarification, he's not the one who leaked it, he just did the non denial denial

He just said “People in politics chit-chat about strategy, moan about their opponents and bounce ideas around all the time. It would be a grave mistake to read too much into a matey midsummer chinwag.”
    I was talking about sending out the search party and looking out for "illegal types".
  • Options
    No surprise that the French are not going to go out of their way to help Cameron win key EU reforms. I have to say that the words tough and strong don't immediately spring to mind when I look at Hollande's current precarious position at home or on the European stage right now.
    Telegraph - Francois Hollande: France will not help David Cameron with EU reforms
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    AveryLP said:

But Oakeshott half-identifies the source as having been "in a private meeting with Crosby".

Too obvious a plant unless we take Neil's sane view that no source is safe with Oakeshott.

fitalass said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Didn't Mr Crosby recently give a briefing to all Conservative MPs, about CCHQ plans to neutralise UKIP?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I was talking about sending out the search party and looking out for "illegal types".

That's been going on for years.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Oh that, the Labour party.

Apparently it all started under Labour's watch
  • Options
    fitalass said:

No surprise that the French are not going to go out of their way to help Cameron win key EU reforms. I have to say that the words tough and strong don't immediately spring to mind when I look at Hollande's current precarious position at home or on the European stage right now.
    Telegraph - Francois Hollande: France will not help David Cameron with EU reforms

Eh ? Why should they ? They are one of the founding members of the EU. Your naivety seems to have no boundries.
  • Options
    Paywall

THOUSANDS of shops could be turned into houses and flats after a government decision that some traditional high streets are no longer viable.

Nick Boles, the planning minister, believes local authorities should give up trying to revive town centres that are blighted by rows of boarded-up shops. Instead, he says, some of the empty properties should be converted into affordable homes.

In a policy that could change the face of town centres across England, the government wants councils to concentrate their efforts on revitalising shopping in struggling areas on just one or two “prime” streets.
  • Options
    And you sir, missed the clear sarcasm in my post in your rush to call me naive. :)
    surbiton said:

fitalass said:

Eh ? Why should they ? They are one of the founding members of the EU. Your naivety seems to have no boundries.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

fitalass said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Didn't Mr Crosby recently give a briefing to all Conservative MPs, about CCHQ plans to neutralise UKIP?
    The original plan was to neuter UKIP.

'til someone suggested that would be like smoking a kipper.

• Options
    Paywall, makes 1966 an even bigger achievement

A new study shows that the former West Germany secretly engaged in organised sports doping of the kind usually associated with its communist counterpart on the other side of the Berlin Wall.

The doping may even have extended to the team that lost the 1966 World Cup final, after England’s disputed third goal, and could have helped the Germans to win the title in 1954.

Researchers say players who won West Germany’s first World Cup title against Hungary that year were given shots declared as vitamin C which, in fact, contained an amphetamine called pervitin.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Paywall

THOUSANDS of shops could be turned into houses and flats after a government decision that some traditional high streets are no longer viable.

Nick Boles, the planning minister, believes local authorities should give up trying to revive town centres that are blighted by rows of boarded-up shops. Instead, he says, some of the empty properties should be converted into affordable homes.

In a policy that could change the face of town centres across England, the government wants councils to concentrate their efforts on revitalising shopping in struggling areas on just one or two “prime” streets.

I'm sure I suggested this a month or so back... Converting police stations, old doctors surgeries and empty shops into flats etc... Must make sense now that so many people shop online... The high street as we knew it isn't coming back
  • Options

and to Anna's here:

I wasn't aware Labour had a plan for the health service. Isn't there a risk, Nick, that you'll say something and sometime, whenever he gets round to it, Ed Miliband comes up with a totally different policy?
  • Options

Paywall

If the shop windows were kept, making the homes even more affordable, it would allow Tories to see how the other half lives.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    fitalass said:

Exactement. This is the man recently known as "Flanby" - a brand of caramel custard I think. A text book example of idiotic away with the fairies campaign rhetoric hitting the hard wall of reality. How the hell he thinks he's going to spend his way out of a flat lining economy with way over 50% consumed by l'etat on 35 hrs a week and folk retiring at not much more than 60 is beyond me. C'est fou comme ils disent!
  • Options
    fitalass said:

And you sir, missed the clear sarcasm in my post in your rush to call me naive. :)

surbiton said:

fitalass said:

I did not think you were capable of that.
  • Options
    Interesting that both snickometer and hotspot suggested Pietersen got a tiny nick when given out LBW but he himself wasn't sure about it.
  • Options
    Just spent the afternoon on a Lake Michigan beach. I am a lardy git, but sitting there with so many huuuge American families I felt quite the slim Jim. I've not really been in the heartland before. The size of people is extraordinary. Obviously I've read about it and seen a bit of it in the cities, but to come face to face with that amount of folded flesh hanging off arms, legs and guts is quite something. I just don't know how you get that big; and I have tried, believe me.

On another note, I was surprised to see so many people in European football tops. We've debated this before on here, but it's impossible to conclude other than that football is getting much bigger in the US. People know the top European clubs, the top US players and there is football on the telly pretty much year round. It's not close to being one of the major sports, of course, but compared to five years ago the expansion in coverage and interest has been immense.
  • Options
    On another note, delighted for Mr Palmer. But there was never a serious doubt that Unite would get their man in, was there?? ;-)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2013
    Given they were not actively backing anyone, yes, they didn't stand much of a chance.
    But it was probably a plot as Nick was their secret weapon

On another note, delighted for Mr Palmer. But there was never a serious doubt that Unite would get their man in, was there?? ;-)

• Options
    @Southam

The interest in English football in America is partly due to the dual ownership of sporting teams in both America and here.

The Owners of Liverpool own the Red Sox

The Arsenal Owner owns the St Louis Rams

The Manchester United owner owns the Tampa Bay Buccanneers

The Fulham Owner owns the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Villa owner up to last year also owned the Buffalo Bills

I mean I've become interested in baseball and the Boston Red Sox since FSG bought the mighty Liverpool, I wonder if some American fans are doing the same when their owners buys an English Premier League team.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Some very interesting stories in the Scottish section of the Sunday Times

1) ALEX SALMOND told Donald Trump that the Lockerbie bomber would be dead “within one week” when he tried to secure his support for the terrorist’s early release from prison, the billionaire has claimed.

2) Tam Dalyell ONE of Britain’s best-known defenders of the union has called Alistair Darling’s campaign against Scottish independence “fraudulent” and says the best way to save the United Kingdom is to scrap the Holyrood parliament.

3) SIR Malcolm Rifkind, the former foreign and defence secretary, accused his own government officials of being institutionally biased against Scotland, it has emerged.

Previously secret government documents, dating from the Thatcher era, reveal the minister believed that civil servants in her administration regarded Scotland as little more than a “foreign country”.
  • Options
    @Andrea

Unite cant be expected to fix the MEP selections and the Broxtowe selection in the same week!
  • Options
    Sounds like Michael Fallon has put his foot in it again with ridiculous comments about "rectory walls"...
  • Options
    An All Unite Women Family Members Shortlist!
  • Options
    Ok, Lynton Crosby is officially crap.

If Boris, Tebbit or Parkinson decline to be the figurehead of the Tory anti UKIP campaign, his fourth choice is, Bill Cash.

(Even Crosby acknowledges Bill Cash is a bit of a voter repellent)
  • Options
    @Andy_JS

He just did that because I described him as "ultra reliable" earlier in the thread!

It actually sounds like the Mail is just being the Mail rather than he was being ridiculous though.
  • Options
    Eagles, are you taking this seriously?! The clue is that all those on the list just happen to be mavericks who prefer pi**ing into the tent rather than out of it. In the words of Sheldon Cooper, bazinga! :)

If Boris, Tebbit or Parkinson decline to be the figurehead of the Tory anti UKIP campaign, his fourth choice is, Bill Cash.

• Options
    fitalass said:

Eagles, are you taking this seriously?! The clue is that all those on the list just happen to be mavericks who prefer pi**ing into the tent rather than out of it. In the words of Sheldon Cooper, bazinga! :)

The thing is, Lynton Crosby had an opportunity to deny all of this.

He failed to do so.

So did the client.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

St Louis Rams ... Jacksonville Jaguars...

I've always liked the American system of adding animal species to a city name and I think it should be adopted worldwide.

On the Croatian coast you could have the Split Beavers, named after the tree-chewing rodent. Or in India, you could play the Mysore Cocks, celebrating the local roosters, etc etc.

• Options
    Ruth's coastal walk has reached the Lizard:

http://ruthl.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    @Eagles, in the words of the Sugababes, your still not getting it. :)

Just over 24 hours ago the Labour party and UKIP were building themselves into a right old frenzy trying to attack the Conservative Party through the Home Office and the UKBA. And then the news broke late on Friday that the Conservatives had secured the services of Messina which sends shock waves through the Labour machine and totally diverted there focus and that of the media.

Tonight the Times splashes with the front page news that Crosby is going to target UKIP as part of the Conservatives election campaign strategy, this was trailed weeks ago at a 1922 Committee meeting where Crosby did a presentation. By the way, did Crosby simple refuse to deny the whole article, or did he single out the delicious claim that he was going to approach a parody of the UKIP poster boys in the Telegraph to lead the Tory attack on UKIP?

The last 1922 meeting in the Parliamentary recess wrap up was noted as quite remarkable due to the lack of questions negative or otherwise directed at David Cameron following this.

fitalass said:

The thing is, Lynton Crosby had an opportunity to deny all of this.

He failed to do so.

So did the client.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Congratulations to Nick on reselection.

Mugabe's result was a surprise in comparison. ;-)

The real fight starts now of course, and Anna Soubry may be harder to shift than you think.

You're the favourite clearly, but I'd estimate Anna's chances at around 30%.

Not insignificant...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

AveryLP said:

Carola said:

Neil said:

@Carola

oops...

'nuff said.

Then fall Avery.

It's been a while since I've read any of Davout's biographies, but IIRC, Jena was far more significant than Austerlitz - the battle was originally called Jena-Austerlitz, but Bonaparte changed it because he didn't like being outshone by Davout.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Charles said:

It's been a while since I've read any of Davout's biographies, but IIRC, Jena was far more significant than Austerlitz - the battle was originally called Jena-Austerlitz, but Bonaparte changed it because he didn't like being outshone by Davout.

Muddled up Austerlitz and Auerstedt. Cue 6 months of tim's jokes on geography.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    If it is Cecil, I doubt he will preface a sentence with "As a father".

AveryLP said:

Cecil is the favourite, Tebbit's persona non grata with Dave, and Cecil is close to William Hague, he was also Party Chairman under William Hague.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (From Previous Thread)

Andrea Parma
    Nick Palmer wins on first ballot. Greg Marshall second

IAveryLP
    I hope Nick won't fall on PV transfers, Andrea!

Er... someone obviously doesn't know what the word "wins" means
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sunday Times results 2nd August - Con 32%, Lab 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 13%; APP -29
This discussion has been closed.