Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How do the Tories balance their electoral coalition?

SystemSystem Posts: 12,008
edited August 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How do the Tories balance their electoral coalition?

The furore that has blown up among those who’ve noticed the two news stories connected to immigration this week is a good example of the problems the Conservatives face in winning an outright majority at the next election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Throwing gherkins at elderly tourists? Literally? Or just metaphorically?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,482
    I don't think we should assume this problem is necessarily solvable. It may just be that with multi-party politics you can't govern for long without either shrinking your tent or hopelessly diluting your brand. The consolation is that Labour will have the same problem if they win.

The best hope would have been to stick with decontamination and hope the UKIPpers came around, but it's too late for that now.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    edited August 2013
    "Keeping both wings of the Conservative coalition satisfied is therefore no simple task, one made all the more difficult by the constraints of coalition. But then as someone once said, if you can’t ride two horses, you shouldn’t be in the circus. One can’t help but notice the contrast in the Tories’ recruitment of both Lynton Crosby and Jim Messina in that context. If ever there was an example made flesh of the intention to ride two horses, that’s it."

This was an inspired strategic choice of a campaign team from the Conservatives at a very pivotal moment in the election cycle. I doubt there is any other two campaign guru's across the globe who are more likely to leave both Labour and the Libdems rattled and fearful right now than bringing Crosby and Messina together to work on the Conservative election campaign. Its going to be interesting to see how both parties react over the next few weeks in the run up to the Conference Season which is now most definitely on a GE campaign footing.

Anyone seen or heard from Ed Miliband or Ed Balls recently, don't tell me that they are both away on their hols along with Harriet Harman at the same time? Suspect that Ed Miliband is going to have his hands full trying to calm the increasing panic running through the party machine when he gets back. Harriet Harman might have to step in like she had to when Ed Miliband failed to get himself organised preparing the Labour manifesto before the 2010 GE.
  • I don't think we should assume this problem is necessarily solvable. It may just be that with multi-party politics you can't govern for long without either shrinking your tent or hopelessly diluting your brand. The consolation is that Labour will have the same problem if they win.

The best hope would have been to stick with decontamination and hope the UKIPpers came around, but it's too late for that now.

Pretty simplistic campaign, vote Tory or get Labour to the kippers. Problem is to many they are much of a muchness, all scum really, and after Europe election UKIP may think they can win seats which lessens that argument. Plaid's 58% shows that the mainstream post expenses and ermine for the boys and girls will never get it.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    Another classic example of what a disaster the last Labour Government proved to be, their legacy of economic incompetence lives on and its still costing us dearly.
    Daily Mail - Failed firm's £53m from Labour NHS deal: Taxpayers foot huge bill after ministers terminated contract when GPs stopped referring patients to failing hospital unit
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) The Daily Mail said

"The 24-year-old actor sparked concern with his dishevelled appearance as he made his way out of the theatre"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2383077/Dishevelled-Daniel-Radcliffe-playing-bongos-wild-night-video.html

No he didn't. I was there on Thursday (the day those photos were taken) and he sparked great excitement and admiration for his energy and vigour, as well as his gorgeousness. Whenever the Daily Mail photographs Daniel Radcliffe at 11pm with a camera flash in his face, it seems to think that (a) pale skin means that he is ill, and (b) being sweaty means that he is exhausted. They don't understand the concept of it being the hottest day of the year so far.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

@fitalass

You must be ashamed of David Cameron's endorsement of this bigotry, but also aware that the British people are better than that.

What bigotry?

All I've seen is a rather pointless campaign on a van against illegal immigration (fine, if crude) and reports of a tube station swoop on potential illegal immigration (don't like the police stopping and searching people generally).

No bigotry, just hamfistedness.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,111
    tim said:

This is damning

Ian Birrell, Camerons 2010 Speechwriter, 22/10/2005

It is a reality that David Cameron, the emerging favourite for the Tory leadership, entered nearly four years ago with the birth of his son Ivan. As I know from a series of conversations with him since then, it has had a similarly profound impact on his life and on his politics. It helps explain his evolution from that cut-out-and-keep young Thatcherite turk who stood in the shadow of Norman Lamont on Black Wednesday to a more complex, compassionate figure

Ian Birrell 2/8/2013

Ian Birrell ‏@ianbirrell
    Go Home posters & Home Office tweeting arrests of suspected illegal immigrants underline growing influence of Lynton Crosby. Sickening stuff

I know you've posted this several times, but it isn't damning.

Or at least, it isn't to anyone with a rational mind.

You are throwing the words 'racist' and 'xenophobe' around like there is no tomorrow. I have no fondness of racists or racism, but to brand everyone who has legitimate concerns about immigration a racist is appalling.

In the eyes of many people there is a problem. Trying to shut down debate by crying 'racist!' does not help.

For my tuppence-worth, with one or two exceptions, I have seen very little outright racism on PB, and in one of the cases the mods acted quickly. There is some mis-speak and a great deal of lack of knowledge. Perhaps my racism filter is set too high, but I doubt it.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Here's an immigration story that did not get much coverage yesterday;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-23534373

tim's furious posting is a rather transparent attempt to divert attention from Labour's record - which he will not discuss "we're talking about something else" - and as Neil pointed out yesterday, if you are opposed to immigration checks in the street, is worse than the coalition's - that may account for the deafening silence from Labour's front bench over the "outrage" - such omertà surely cannot be accidental - looks like the word has come down from on high - "say nowt".....

as Neil pointed out yesterday, if you are opposed to immigration checks in the street, is worse than the coalition's

Labour had some very nasty Home Secretaries and it wouldn't astonish me if this was true, but has anybody got any specific examples of Labour doing racially-profiling-based immigration checks on the streets, or something comparable? The posts I saw from Neil were a bit vague.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,452
    edited August 2013

tim said:

This is damning

It helps explain his evolution from that cut-out-and-keep young Thatcherite turk who stood in the shadow of Norman Lamont on Black Wednesday to a more complex, compassionate figure

Ian Birrell 2/8/2013

Ian Birrell ‏@ianbirrell
    Go Home posters & Home Office tweeting arrests of suspected illegal immigrants underline growing influence of Lynton Crosby. Sickening stuff

You are throwing the words 'racist' and 'xenophobe' around like there is no tomorrow. I have no fondness of racists or racism, but to brand everyone who has legitimate concerns about immigration a racist is appalling.

[Edited for length]

Um, Josias, he's not commenting on the facts here, just on the remarkable evolution of Ian Birrell's view. There's no reference to racists in the post to which you're replying, either by Ian or anyone else. The point, also made by David in more restrained form, is that there is a political price to appeasing people who want a scattergun crackdown on illegal immigration.

tim said:

This is damning

It helps explain his evolution from that cut-out-and-keep young Thatcherite turk who stood in the shadow of Norman Lamont on Black Wednesday to a more complex, compassionate figure

Ian Birrell 2/8/2013

Ian Birrell ‏@ianbirrell

[Edited for length]

Um, Josias, he's not commenting on the facts here, just on the remarkable evolution of Ian Birrell's view. There's no reference to racists in the post to which you're replying, either by Ian or anyone else. The point, also made by David in more restrained form, is that there is a political price to appeasing people who want a scattergun crackdown on illegal immigration.

And again, I don't think it's damning.

The 'racist' and 'xenophobe' comment - just see Tim's previous posts, for instance from last night. Anyone having a different view from him is branded a racist or xenophobe. Indeed, he does so in his first post in this thread. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed.

good luck for the selection ...

as Neil pointed out yesterday, if you are opposed to immigration checks in the street, is worse than the coalition's

racially-profiling-based immigration checks on the streets
    Since the Minister has said "there is no racial profiling" going on I hope those claiming it is are on strong ground....

"But Immigration Minister Mark Harper said there was ‘no racial profiling’ and no one was stopped unless officers had reasonable suspicion they were in the UK illegally.

"I absolutely refute the suggestion that we are targeting people based on their race or doing racial profiling. All our raids are intelligence-led. I don’t agree with an amnesty, if people are here illegally then they are breaking the law, we will find them and send them home. If we allow an amnesty then we will be sending out the wrong message.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383156/Police-arresting-139-illegal-immigrant-suspects-watchdog-launches-probe.html#ixzz2ast1ZCMv
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Morning :^ )

I'm still rubbing my eyes that Labourlist tried to start a twitter campaign against Mr Messina.

I wonder what Tom Watson is thinking today about how the Tories are preparing for GE2015. Given his rather withering resignation letter post Falkirk, who do Labour have as potential successors?
    The Atlantic on how selling Tory policy will not be a stretch for Messina:

"The final tally from the above? Two Conservative policies similar to the Republican party; six to the Democrats. And in two instances — the death penalty and nationalized healthcare — it runs further to the left.

In other words, Messina doesn't need to change his policy arguments that much, either."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/08/how-conservative-would-uk-conservatives-be-us/67930/

The Atlantic on how selling Tory policy will not be a stretch for Messina:

"The final tally from the above? Two Conservative policies similar to the Republican party; six to the Democrats. And in two instances — the death penalty and nationalized healthcare — it runs further to the left.

In other words, Messina doesn't need to change his policy arguments that much, either."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/08/how-conservative-would-uk-conservatives-be-us/67930/

Where Mr Messina has huge competence is on data and message framing - the video I posted last night re the forensic level of analysis he does just shows that the Tories want to win every possible vote/use a FF influencer base.

If Mr Crosby can identify the wedges/be the bruiser, Mr Messina can help the activists to be most effectively deployed. Great combination of skills.

I heard an excuse last night that Labour doesn't have the money to pay for his expertise, but that was rather undermined by another report that said Mr Messina wasn't interested in working for them in the first place.

What is Labour's war chest like? They didn't have a lot of cash for GE2010 but they did have Mandy for free and he's a formidable chap.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Plato said:

I'm still rubbing my eyes that Labourlist tried to start a twitter campaign against Mr Messina.

I wonder what Tom Watson is thinking today about how the Tories are preparing for GE2015. Given his rather withering resignation letter post Falkirk, who do Labour have as potential successors?

Mandleson?
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited August 2013
    @LogicalSong TheRegister, which is a reasonably good technology magazine, has always been a shill for the climate change lobby despite that being nothing to do with the focus of their journal.

When they go off piste into areas they don't know about they tend to merrily source dodgy information from friendly nutters and fools. Lewis bloody Page writes the military commentary ffs which is an instant credibility disaster.

Edit: Clarified last ambiguous sentence.

Plato said:

Mandleson?
    That would be the logical choice, however he has a very long list of other interests now that could a) be used against him b) eat up his time as is c) and does he really have the interest in EdM to do it?

I was surprised that Gordon brought Mandy back last time - but he was desperate/ate his pride, and Mandy wanted to be brought back into the fold after much acrimony. Gordon and Tony were his New Labour siblings. If you haven't read his autobiog The Third Man - its very good and quite funny.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,720
    Regarding the Tory strategy of employing both Messina and Crosby-It`s either going to be a great success or a bombastic failure.They are both expensive and Cameron is going to have a few more dinners at Downing street with wellwishers to pay for them.

Miliband`s silence over this period has been odd but in some ways welcome.Do we really need all that crap that Eric Pickles is wondering about ending up as news?
    With it being Silly Season, the lobby journos have nothing better to do so Eric is filling up the airtime.

Labourlist noted earlier that Labour aren't providing anything for the TV men to use so are getting bugger all coverage bar rebutting the Tories agenda.

Usually the parties provide light stuff to fill the news vacuum - Pickles on renting your driveway out is about as light as you can get...
    SMukesh said:

Regarding the Tory strategy of employing both Messina and Crosby-It`s either going to be a great success or a bombastic failure.They are both expensive and Cameron is going to have a few more dinners at Downing street with wellwishers to pay for them.

Miliband`s silence over this period has been odd but in some ways welcome.Do we really need all that crap that Eric Pickles is wondering about ending up as news?

Plato said:

With it being Silly Season, the lobby journos have nothing better to do so Eric is filling up the airtime.

Exactly...But when you get a series of announcements just intended to fill the airtime and to achieve nothing in particular,it starts to grate (atleast for me).

NewStatesman reports that Miliband is not interested in the 24 hours news cycle.So if he becomes PM,it`s going to be an interesting time for journalists.They are going to have to come up with real news.

Well said!

"But one thing we learnt is that grand speeches, proud boasts and silly gimmicks won't solve anything."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10219288/Chris-Bryant-MP-Go-Home-vans-show-ministers-have-no-ideas-on-immigration.html

Have you told Ed?
  • Even David Herdson, a sensible commentator, thinks that UKIP is to the right of the tory party.

The EU has never been a left/right issue. UKIP is correctly seen as the party which is against the scale of unskilled EU immigration. This disadvantages the people who are competing against them for jobs, in places like Boston. It does not disadvantage the caricatured geriatric ex-Tory golf-club member who supports UKIP. UKIP is socially conservative on matters like gay marriage, but on economic issues, UKIP is 'soft-right', not 'hard right'.

A Smithson theory which is spot on: there are some issues which always benefit one particular party whenever it is mentioned (especially the NHS for Labour party, however badly they run it). Equally, when the tories reduce immigration by hitting at 'soft' targets like students, or rich Chinese, UKIP waverers are unsurprisingly unimpressed.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    SMukesh said:

NewStatesman reports that Miliband is not interested in the 24 hours news cycle.

That's back to front. The 24 hours news cycle isn't interested in Miliband, which is the root of his problem.

Statements like his can be filed under the Actually I Didn't Want To Play With You Lot Anyway line deployed by a weedy schoolboy being ignored in the playground.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,533
    JohnLoony said:

(OT) The Daily Mail said

"The 24-year-old actor sparked concern with his dishevelled appearance as he made his way out of the theatre"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2383077/Dishevelled-Daniel-Radcliffe-playing-bongos-wild-night-video.html

No he didn't. I was there on Thursday (the day those photos were taken) and he sparked great excitement and admiration for his energy and vigour, as well as his gorgeousness. Whenever the Daily Mail photographs Daniel Radcliffe at 11pm with a camera flash in his face, it seems to think that (a) pale skin means that he is ill, and (b) being sweaty means that he is exhausted. They don't understand the concept of it being the hottest day of the year so far.

The Express surely understands the concept of extreme weather a lot less and gets more excited by it than a pb tory does with an ICM level poll

That's back to front. The 24 hours news cycle isn't interested in Miliband, which is the root of his problem.

If they are interested in the crap that Pickles is coming out with,they would be interested in what an opposition leader with a poll lead comes out with.But I agree with you that in (non)engagement with News International,posturing on media regulation and ignoring the 24 hour news cycle,Miliband is refusing to play the media`s game.Whether that`s going to be a plus for Labour or a millstone remains to be seen
    GeoffM said:

SMukesh said:

NewStatesman reports that Miliband is not interested in the 24 hours news cycle.

Statements like his can be filed under the Actually I Didn't Want To Play With You Lot Anyway line deployed by a weedy schoolboy being ignored in the playground.
    Cameron didn't want to do 'government by press release' as Labour had done - but the animal needs to be fed = if you don't they'll eat you instead or make something up to occupy themselves.

The way Labour manipulated/made the news agenda changed how the game is played. Whether for good or ill, there is a 24hr news cycle and sitting in the dress-room isn't really an option.
    Plato said:

GeoffM said:

SMukesh said:

Cameron didn't want to do 'government by press release' as Labour had done - but the animal needs to be fed = if you don't they'll eat you instead or make something up to occupy themselves.

The way Labour manipulated/made the news agenda changed how the game is played. Whether for good or ill, there is a 24hr news cycle and sitting in the dress-room isn't really an option.
    Agree with you there.They might even start searching for real news which is a danger for a government implementing austerity

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,452
    On the whole I think we're making a mistake not to be harrassing the government, even in August when people aren't really paying attention. It's one of the jobs of junior frontbenchers. But I understand the alternative case - mainly speak when you've something interesting to say and otherwise STFU, so people (perhaps) actually listen when you say something, rather than just say oh God it's him again.

The last leader I can remember who tried it was Attlee ("Do you have one final additional message to give to the British people?" "No."). Did quite well for a while.
    SMukesh said:

Plato said:

GeoffM said:

SMukesh said:

Agree with you there.They might even start searching for real news which is a danger for a government implementing austerity

Compare what PB spent time discussing yesterday with:

"Financial struggles with bills and debts 'worsen'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23534877

This story has sunk without trace (the immigration one is not even in the BBC top 10- and today the tabloids are rolling around in Simon Cowell's love life) - so I doubt the government is too concerned over the outrage over the arrest of 140 possible illegal immigrants....
  • SMukesh said:

Plato said:

GeoffM said:

SMukesh said:

This story has sunk without trace (the immigration one is not even in the BBC top 10- and today the tabloids are rolling around in Simon Cowell's love life) - so I doubt the government is too concerned over the outrage over the arrest of 140 possible illegal immigrants....
    A survey taken in 2013 compared to a different survey taken in 2006 is hardly "news" I would say. Surveys and polls are only really worthwhile if made on a consistent regular basis.

SMukesh said:

Plato said:

GeoffM said:

SMukesh said:

A survey taken in 2013 compared to a different survey taken in 2006 is hardly "news" I would say. Surveys and polls are only really worthwhile if made on a consistent regular basis.
    Possibly not - but an Opposition on the ball could make it "news" - all they are doing is (sometimes) reacting to a news agenda set by the government....

Rather a good article from Graeme Archer re the BBC and how it would be better if the presenters were just honest about their POV.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10218938/Of-course-people-at-the-BBC-are-biased-why-not-make-a-virtue-of-it.html

"... Which makes it ridiculous for the BBC to pretend that its front-persons remove their own world views the moment they sit in front of a microphone. It’s absurd, because it is impossible, and were it possible, it would be uninformative. I could write these columns as though I weren’t a Tory (see above). I’m sure you’d pick up on it soon enough, and wonder why you’d paid to read someone pretending to be something they weren’t: that is, neutral. That is: a lie.

Such neutrality doesn’t fail only when it is used as an attempted mask for party affiliation. Any policy issue is identically afflicted. Do BBC staff really have no opinions about, say, fracking? Is it conceivable that those views don’t leak through into their broadcasts?

As with so much other establishment practice, this is one best tackled by transparency. Were the BBC to give up on its neutrality dogma – not least because it’s untrue – presenters would be free to say what they actually think. And we would be free to view their arguments through the prism of their beliefs.

Just as you can with this newspaper, or any of the other brands of newspaper that are available, from the less fashionable outlets.

But there’s the difference: you chose to buy this newspaper. You don’t choose to buy the BBC; which fact, increasingly, is unsustainable politically and is why, I suspect, the BBC Trust clings to the arcane lore upon which the Corporation was established. “If we admit we’re no more neutral than any other human being, they’ll wonder why we need to be funded by a poll tax.”

Surely the reverse would be true: diversity (so we’re endlessly told) is good for organisations. The BBC has many wonderful broadcasters: I’d pay to hear what they think, more happily than I pay to hear them mime, unconvincingly, a lack of bias..."

On the whole I think we're making a mistake not to be harrassing the government, even in August when people aren't really paying attention. It's one of the jobs of junior frontbenchers. But I understand the alternative case - mainly speak when you've something interesting to say and otherwise STFU, so people (perhaps) actually listen when you say something, rather than just say oh God it's him again.

The last leader I can remember who tried it was Attlee ("Do you have one final additional message to give to the British people?" "No."). Did quite well for a while.

New Statesman also say that Miliband has got a series of bombastic announcements to make in September,so we live in hope.Good luck with the selections.

• david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,520

Even David Herdson, a sensible commentator, thinks that UKIP is to the right of the tory party.

The EU has never been a left/right issue. UKIP is correctly seen as the party which is against the scale of unskilled EU immigration. This disadvantages the people who are competing against them for jobs, in places like Boston. It does not disadvantage the caricatured geriatric ex-Tory golf-club member who supports UKIP. UKIP is socially conservative on matters like gay marriage, but on economic issues, UKIP is 'soft-right', not 'hard right'.

There are two parts to this and I disagree with DavidK's analysis on both(!).

'Left' and 'right' is very crude terminology given how many axes there are on which to base that decision but it's an easy and understood description, so let's run with it.

Firstly, wherever UKIP actually sits as a party, there's the question of where it's voters sit politically. Almost certainly, these are at/to the right of the Conservatives. The swing voters who have wavered between UKIP and the Tories have done so over things like gay marriage (a UKIP policy which sits ill at ease with Farage's libertarianism, as an aside). The relevant thing here - in terms of building an electoral coalition - is whether the Tories can attract those Con/UKIP voters back. If DavidK is right and UKIP is not to the right of the Tories, that should make life easier for Cameron as the purples should do part of the job for him.

However, the second point is that yes, UKIP is off there to the right anyway (and hence it won't be so easy for Dave). The assertion that the EU is not a right/left issue is highly arguable. True, there are some far-left wingers (eg Bob Crow, Tony Benn) who are opposed but in general, the left is more internationalist and the right sets a higher value on nation, tradition and culture. Being in favour of continued, if reformed, EU membership places the Tories to the left of UKIP, as does UKIP being in favour of much reduced immigration as one of their key anti-EU messages. Likewise, support for small(er)-government places UKIP firmly to the right.

To take one example, the second-most high profile UKIP politician where I live (after Farage) is Godfrey Bloom MEP. I find it difficult to place his political views anywhere other than at the rightwards edge of mainstream opinion.
    The Political Compass on where parties stood at the 2010 GE:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010

This has UKIP on virtually identical ground to Con, if a tad more authoritarian.

I suspect the coalition has moved south west since then.....
    edited August 2013
    Interesting discussion on LBC now - apparently 75% of new homes are sold to foreign buyers.

LBC 97.3 @lbc973
    The majority of new homes in central London are being sold off-plan in overseas sales events before being advertised in the UK
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Labour had some very nasty Home Secretaries and it wouldn't astonish me if this was true, but has anybody got any specific examples of Labour doing racially-profiling-based immigration checks on the streets, or something comparable? The posts I saw from Neil were a bit vague.
    They werent all vague - I posted a link showing that while the Coalition does "intelligence-led" immigration operations at tube stations (dont ask me what kind of intelligence) there used to be random immigrant spot checks under Labour (until they were forced to stop them). I dont think there is any research on racial profiling of immigration checks (unlike, for example, the clear research showing that stop-and-search is disproportionately aimed at ethnic minorities) but I dont think anyone seriously argues that it doesnt happen and you can see that the scope for it is greater under the random spot checks that Labour used to have.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Well PBers .... off to Broxtowe shortly :

"Jacobites Unite For Nick Palmer's Reselection"

What could possibly go wrong ?!?!?!?!

• isamisam Posts: 41,118

The Political Compass on where parties stood at the 2010 GE:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010

This has UKIP on virtually identical ground to Con, if a tad more authoritarian.

I suspect the coalition has moved south west since then.....

I'm a LibDem SNP cross breed!

@Neil

Does anyone seriously believe that spot-checks on BME`s at tube stations are intelligence-led.What tosh!The minister is seriously insulting the intelligence of BME voters and everyone else.They are clearly aimed at maximum publicity for vote-gathering purposes and not a serious effort at reducing illegal immigration.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    SMukesh said:

@Neil

Does anyone seriously believe that spot-checks on BME`s at tube stations are intelligence-led.What tosh!The minister is seriously insulting the intelligence of BME voters and everyone else.They are clearly aimed at maximum publicity for vote-gathering purposes and not a serious effort at reducing illegal immigration.

No, I dont believe they are. My point was mainly that there was just as much racial profiling going on when these operations were carried out under Labour without even the figleaf of being "intelligence-led".
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,418
    JackW said:

Well PBers .... off to Broxtowe shortly :

"Jacobites Unite For Nick Palmer's Reselection"

What could possibly go wrong ?!?!?!?!

Stop at Derby then turn back?
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Are there people on here that are happy with the principle of spot checks but are angry that they seem to be racially profiling?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Heres an interesting line of statistics:

Robert Kimbell
    Average votes at by-elections on 1 August 2013: LAB 32.23% (from 6 contests), #UKIP 26.63% (from 5), CON 15.67% (6), LDEM 13.71% (4).

From these local elections UKIP, although losing two very precarious council seats actually gained in votes, and if we look back to May the percentage of votes for UKIP has shown a steady if unspetacular climb.

It may well be that nationaly these percentages may be different but the effort of the pollsters to force UKIP from the game in July must now be seen to be an epic fail.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,118
    Trying to step back from the passions of yesterday the fundamental problem is that we have a seriously broken immigration system. It has been that way for a long time but was in large part abandoned by the last government who gave up on exit monitoring and turned a blind eye to widespread abuse of the student visa system. They were also, in fairness, swamped by an explosion of asylum seekers.

We could argue all day about whether this abandonment was motivated by dirty politics or a genuine belief, per Tim, that immigration is good and necessary for growth but the fact is a lot of people didn't like it.

As a result this government feels the need to be seen to be doing something about a problem that is massively beyond their control. They have better prospects of repaying the national debt than removing all the illegal immigrants in the UK. This has pushed some, such as Boris, to think we will have to have an amnesty. The problem is that the international evidence is that amnesties don't really work and encourage further illegal immigration.

A government in this situation can either focus on making the system better, whilst recognising and acknowledging that it is a sticking plaster on a serious wound, or they can create the impression of activity by gimmicks and gestures. I am seriously disappointed the government has opted for the latter, especially when those gimmicks seem in some part to be capable of causing or stirring up racial hatred and distrust. I hope this stops but politicians of all stripes are very reluctant to have a sensible discussion about what has become an intractable problem.

The politics of this are tricky because the truth is there is very little the government can do effectively. The priority going forward has got to be better immigration controls (which the Coalition has done, albeit this has also created a lot of moans) better monitoring of over stayers, which requires exit monitoring, more efficient removal of the immigrants that are found (which May has tried to achieve by, for example, restricting article 8 claims) and ultimately an unofficial amnesty.
    Great bit of research re Your Country Needs You

" The picture is credited with encouraging millions of men to sign up to fight in the trenches, many of them never to return. But new research has found that no such poster was actually produced during the war and that the image was never used for official recruitment purposes. In fact, it only became popular and widely-used after the conflict ended.

James Taylor, who has researched the history of recruitment posters, said the popular understanding of the design and the impact it had was almost entirely mistaken. “It’s widely believed to have been the most popular design of First World War, instrumental in recruiting millions of men. But the truth is: that simply wasn’t the case. It’s an urban myth,” he added.

As part of his research, he studied the official records of the Parliamentary Recruiting Committee, the body responsible for recruitment posters, in the National Archives at Kew.

These documents provided details of the production of almost 200 official recruitment posters produced during the war and indicated which ones were deemed popular. The so-called ‘Your Country Needs You’ poster is absent. He also analysed thousands of photographs of street scenes and recruitment offices from the period in search of the image, again, without finding it..." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/10218932/Your-Country-Needs-You-The-myth-about-the-First-World-War-poster-that-never-existed.html
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364
    Ms CV,

On the political compass test, I came out as similar to Francois Hollande.

Aaargh! Don't ever let me near the economy.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    isam

If I read the reports right, the government is maintaining these were not spot checks and they were not racially profiled. They were intelligence led.

Now, you can believe that or not, but that is the line.
  • SMukesh said:

@Neil

Interesting that you suggest ministers "...[are] insulting the intelligence of BME and everyone else." Do you have any scientific information you can share that demonstrates a divergence of intelligence between BME and non-BME individuals? Or is this more Jungian projection from a so-called victim demographic...?
    @DavidL

I would agree with a lot of what you said in your post.The government are trying to derive political benefit without actually doing the work.They promised to have exit controls by the end of this year and this is nowhere in sight.And their net migration statistics are now considered dodgy.Hence the stunts supposedly aimed at illegal migrants but actually a call to rally right-wing voters to support the government.

But they should consider such campaigns also alienate some people.30% of BME voters voted for Boris in London where a lot of marginal seats are located and to alienate them by spot-checks and obvious racial profiling seems a bit silly to me.
    taffys said:

isam

If I read the reports right, the government is maintaining these were not spot checks and they were not racially profiled. They were intelligence led.

Firmly held opinions will remain firmly held irrespective of evidence either way. IME, the police have many faults and biases but they are judged on nicking people.

Therefore if there are places with more suspected illegals - they'll target them. That these people are mostly from Asia and Africa isn't exactly surprising since most of the EU can come here legally now.

Getting your required number of collars doesn't work if you stop lots of people who aren't illegal immigrants. It's simple stuff but the argument never seems to actually consider the motivation of the people actually doing the job.
    CD13 said:

Ms CV,

On the political compass test, I came out as similar to Francois Hollande.

Aaargh! Don't ever let me near the economy.

That was fun. I came out on the CL between left and right (which surprised me, is it an American scale?) and considerably more libertarian than authoritarian. So, according to them I am more left wing and considerably less authoritarian than Ed Miliband. Maybe I should do it again...
    Getting your required number of collars doesn't work if you stop lots of people who aren't illegal immigrants.

It isn't as sophisticated as racism. If you're told to catch carp you go where you think the carp swim.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

SMukesh said:

@Neil

Interesting that you suggest ministers "...[are] insulting the intelligence of BME and everyone else." Do you have any scientific information you can share that demonstrates a divergence of intelligence between BME and non-BME individuals? Or is this more Jungian projection from a so-called victim demographic...?
    I am amused at the jargon some ues in politics. BME probably stands for Black and Minority Ethnic. Well I supposee it's better than Black and Majority Ethinic, which I fear that many on the extreme left long to see.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,869

SMukesh said:

@Neil

Just more hogwash from liberal do gooders, the same people that have wrecked this country with PC correctness and unlimited immigration. UK has a serious problem, mainly in England I must say and every avenue possible should be made to find the criminals and have them deported pdq, no wishy washy human rights/skin colour baloney should be involved. If you are innocent you should have no problem and just be happy they are actually finally trying to do something to catch what are criminals.
    SMukesh said:

@DavidL

I would agree with a lot of what you said in your post.The government are trying to derive political benefit without actually doing the work.They promised to have exit controls by the end of this year and this is nowhere in sight.And their net migration statistics are now considered dodgy.Hence the stunts supposedly aimed at illegal migrants but actually a call to rally right-wing voters to support the government.

But they should consider such campaigns also alienate some people.30% of BME voters voted for Boris in London where a lot of marginal seats are located and to alienate them by spot-checks and obvious racial profiling seems a bit silly to me.

They should not be adjusting the catching of criminals based on whether it upsets BME's, it should be done based on the law of the country.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,096
    taffys said:

isam

So what intelligence did they have against me? I pay my taxes on time, I have never been in trouble with the law, I help out in the community. I would like to see what intelligence they claim to have had.

Or, on the other hand, their "intelligence" is that foreigners tend to be non-white so lets pull all of them up and ask them for IDs even though there is no law in this country that gives them the right to do ask for ID.

People who support these measures may as well ask for all non-whites in the UK to wear a red armband that says "Ausländer". Because that's how it feels right now, the country seems very hostile to non-whites.
    Golly - is this true?!? A BBC documentary about UKBA staff targeting illegal immigrants in 2008 at Tube stations?

But of course that was the *right* sort of erm...

Dizzy Thinks @dizzy_thinks
    @stellacreasy here's a BBC doc from 2008 about UKBA at tube stations radiotimes.com/episode/c5wp/u… less evil coz Labour were in gov? H/T @Tfoch
    The people who need a period of calm reflection on the illegal immigrant debate are the people who have harangued the government to get tough on the issue and now are mocking or criticizing what has been done.

They are like those who banged on about 'bashing the Boche' before WW1 and then shrieked when they saw the casualties on the first day of the Somme.

What did you think war with Germany would entail mate?

On immigration, there are plenty who chafe at the problem, but they don;t like the solution.

Either live with the problem - or tolerate the 'unbritish' solution.
    So what intelligence did they have against me?

Max, your testimony strongly implies the government is not telling the truth - and I believe you should take this further.
    edited August 2013
    taffys said:

Getting your required number of collars doesn't work if you stop lots of people who aren't illegal immigrants.

It isn't as sophisticated as racism. If you're told to catch carp you go where you think the carp swim.

When I worked in recruitment - I could've made an educated guess where illegal immigrants were living as I kept seeing the same address used for dozens of people from Pakistan and Ethiopia - and they didn't all know each other. They relied on using temping agencies for work because their controls were weaker, they could shift about from one to another, use cheque cashing shops to get their wages.

I'm sure things have been tightened up a lot - but its really not hard to work out where many of them will congregate.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,068

g
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

isam

So what intelligence did they have against me? I pay my taxes on time, I have never been in trouble with the law, I help out in the community. I would like to see what intelligence they claim to have had.

Or, on the other hand, their "intelligence" is that foreigners tend to be non-white so lets pull all of them up and ask them for IDs even though there is no law in this country that gives them the right to do ask for ID.

People who support these measures may as well ask for all non-whites in the UK to wear a red armband that says "Ausländer". Because that's how it feels right now, the country seems very hostile to non-whites.
    Max, get over it. do you think you're the only person who has ever been stopped and asked for ID ?
    edited August 2013
    malcolmg said:

SMukesh said:

@DavidL

They should not be adjusting the catching of criminals based on whether it upsets BME's, it should be done based on the law of the country.
    I absoultely and stongly agree with you that the rule of law is important and should be enforced without fear or favour. But a state should also be respectful of its citizens. That means that it should not seek to interfere with them without good cause. Max is an example of the lack of cause here. Random sweeps will almost always fail this test. Intelligence led investigations, even if it is no more than focussing on the local taxi companies and other cash in hand payers, are entirely appropriate.
    @MaxPB

If they had intelligence specific to you or anyone else - they'd either not do anything as you're British or arrest you already.

I'm finding this a rather odd discussion - the whole point of trying to target places where UKBA suspect there are illegal immigrants is because they *suspect* it. If they knew, they wouldn't need to random stop anyone.

The police randomly stop cars at checkpoints and ask you to do a breath test or check your tax disc etc as part of campaigns.
  • It's Nick's day!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,344
    @NickPalmer Good luck today! Hope it goes well. Broxtowe Labour is lucky to have you.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,068
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

SMukesh said:

@DavidL

I absoultely and stongly agree with you that the rule of law is important and should be enforced without fear or favour. But a state should also be respectful of its citizens. That means that it should not seek to interfere with them without good cause. Max is an example of the lack of cause here. Random sweeps will almost always fail this test. Intelligence led investigations, even if it is no more than focussing on the local taxi companies and other cash in hand payers, is entirely appropriate.
    I don't think that's true. random sweeps are quite often used as a means of keeping the other side on its toes. It's just one more element in the mix and complements targetting. Airports often do random stops as part of security. Frankfurt used to check about every 20th person in depth, which was a bit of a bugger if it was you and you flight had just been called.
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The Backlash Against the Roma in France

In recent years, with the EU’s relaxation of travel restrictions across mainland Europe, hundreds of thousands of Roma gipsies, mostly from Romania and Bulgaria, have travelled west in search of a better life.

Each morning, a small army of women and children leave these illegal camps and catch trains into the city centre, where many spend the day trying to exploit, harass and steal from tourists.

Some sit begging by cashpoints — often with babies on their laps. Others tour the streets pretending to be deaf, dumb or otherwise disabled, and seeking donations for fictitious charities.

A few pick pockets. Others — like the group which struck in Place Sainte-Opportune — ‘swarm’ passers-by, using the ensuing confusion to brazenly steal from them.

Last month, an organised gang of gipsies upped the ante, attacking two minibuses full of Chinese visitors stuck in traffic as they travelled from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport, stealing thousands of euros in cash.

Two months earlier, an immigrant ‘Fagin’ called Fehim Hamidovic was sentenced to seven years in prison for masterminding one of the biggest ever child pickpocketing rings. He was found to have sent 500 young gipsy girls onto the Paris streets each day, threatening them with beatings, cigarette burns to the face and even rape unless they stole the equivalent of £250 a day.....

In short, hostility to the Roma is contributing to the re-emergence of the racist Right in France, so much so that the country’s National Front party is on the verge of taking a lead in national opinion polls.

The past fortnight has seen tensions spill over. Several violent ‘revenge attacks’ by demonstrators carrying baseball bats, iron bars and petrol bombs have been reported at Roma camps........

‘Welcome to Europe’s open borders,’ an exasperated senior police officer told me this week. ‘All of these kids are ultimately members of gangs from Romania and Bulgaria. They pitch their caravans on the outskirts of town.

‘Hundreds of them are trying to steal — and they’re becoming increasingly confident in how they do it. We can barely touch the kids because they’re considered too young in the eyes of the law.’............

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383855/How-Roma-invasion-sparked-rise-Frances-racist-Right.html#ixzz2atgHR49l
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If all the intelligence says is `Oh,there are a lot of Asian/Black people in Kensal Green,so let`s raid the tube station` then there`s a problem.Because there`ll be a hundreds of legal Asian/black commuters to each illegal immigrant using the tube station and it becomes racial profiling.

This is not specific intelligence and to claim otherwise shows they take voters for mugs.

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

SMukesh said:

@DavidL

I absoultely and stongly agree with you that the rule of law is important and should be enforced without fear or favour. But a state should also be respectful of its citizens. That means that it should not seek to interfere with them without good cause. Max is an example of the lack of cause here. Random sweeps will almost always fail this test. Intelligence led investigations, even if it is no more than focussing on the local taxi companies and other cash in hand payers, is entirely appropriate.
    I don't think that's true. random sweeps are quite often used as a means of keeping the other side on its toes. It's just one more element in the mix and complements targetting. Airports often do random stops as part of security. Frankfurt used to check about every 20th person in depth, which was a bit of a bugger if it was you and you flight had just been called.
    Sweeping generalisations tripped up again. I agree that in certain "target rich environments" such as airports a degree of random checking is useful and appropriate (although I loved the stat that said all this airport security nonsense has caught precisely zero terrorists world wide). Does a railway station come into that category? Arguable I suppose.

• DavidL said:

We could argue all day about whether this abandonment was motivated by dirty politics or a genuine belief, per Tim, that immigration is good and necessary for growth but the fact is a lot of people didn't like it.

As a result this government feels the need to be seen to be doing something about a problem that is massively beyond their control.

The politics of this are tricky because the truth is there is very little the government can do effectively. The priority going forward has got to be better immigration controls (which the Coalition has done, albeit this has also created a lot of moans) better monitoring of over stayers, which requires exit monitoring, more efficient removal of the immigrants that are found (which May has tried to achieve by, for example, restricting article 8 claims) and ultimately an unofficial amnesty.

The problem is not illegal immigration. Legal immigration, especially from old Eatern Europe, has been the reason that UKIP is rewarded with votes in Eastern coastal areas and the fens.

There is a separate, specific issue in that our borders are so poorly defended, and our strange enthusiam for the ECHR, has meant that we cannot get rid of the seriously undesirable.

We cannot solve either problem while we remain in the EU. But we can pretend to do so.

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

SMukesh said:

@DavidL

I absoultely and stongly agree with you that the rule of law is important and should be enforced without fear or favour. But a state should also be respectful of its citizens. That means that it should not seek to interfere with them without good cause. Max is an example of the lack of cause here. Random sweeps will almost always fail this test. Intelligence led investigations, even if it is no more than focussing on the local taxi companies and other cash in hand payers, are entirely appropriate.
    david, yes but you cannot have an omelette without breaking an egg. Lots of people will have some very minimal hassle if we tackle the problem properly. Max is also an example of people who have a chip on their shoulder and always take offence when they imagine they are not being seen as British enough. If we rely solely on intelligence led raids we will never solve it, strong action is needed and people will have to accept some inconvenience in the meantime. Crying racism every time does not help in any way, it seems to be the first cry every time.
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MalcolmG..Steady lad or you will soon be classed as Racist and Xenophobic

LOL, good morning Richard
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Another case of Police over-reaction and incompetency!

When Elaine Perry was threatened by a couple after complaining about their rowdy children, she called police in the hope they would protect her.

Instead, the 57-year-old librarian was arrested by two women officers who hooded her, taped her legs together and bundled her into a van in front of a crowd of onlookers.

Miss Perry, who says she was made to feel ‘totally humiliated’, ended up in court charged with using threatening behaviour and assaulting one of the officers.

But the mother of two was cleared by magistrates and now intends to sue Sussex Police and complain about her ordeal to the police watchdog, particularly over the use of the special hood, designed to prevent prisoners spitting at officers.

She was kept in the hood, which looks like a plastic bag but is made of mesh, for about 15 minutes and released from it only when she began hyperventilating.

‘I have never been in trouble before yet I was treated like a criminal for taking a stand on unacceptable behaviour in a public place,’ she said yesterday.

‘I had no idea British police could use this type of hood, which would not have looked out of place in Guantanamo Bay. I felt I was being paraded in stocks, like in medieval times. It was so humiliating.

‘I was upset because I was being accused of something I didn’t do and my voice may have been raised.

‘I had a slight sore throat and it is possible that as I spoke to police, some tiny globules of spit hit an officer’s face. But it was not deliberate and certainly didn’t merit a hood being placed over my head.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383863/Librarian-57-stood-family-yobs-arrested-forced-wear-degrading-hood-police.html#ixzz2atjykEnR
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    SMukesh said:

If all the intelligence says is `Oh,there are a lot of Asian/Black people in Kensal Green,so let`s raid the tube station` then there`s a problem.Because there`ll be a hundreds of legal Asian/black commuters to each illegal immigrant using the tube station and it becomes racial profiling.

This is not specific intelligence and to claim otherwise shows they take voters for mugs.

But that's not intelligence led is it? If there are known employers of illegal immigrants in the locality, patches of housing with abnormal occupancy, heat-map sheds with odd results etc - and Kensal Green tube is close by - then there's a fair chance that more illegal immigrants will pass through it.

As I said, the coppers get NO POINTS for spending their shift not getting collars. So they'll look at places that are most likely to give them an easy 12hrs. Coppers could stop loads of people at Bond St who were black or Asian or white but its unlikely that they'd be illegally here.
    I already am - welcome to the club!
    malcolmg said:

LOL, good morning Richard
    SMukesh said:

Methinks you are the mug, do you think they should do searches in areas where there are hundreds of legal UK/white commuters and come away empty handed every time. It is called profiling , if the illegal immigrants are Asian/black then it makes sense on every level to concentrate your attention there. Legal Asian/Black commuters should be happy that the government is actually doing something towards solving a huge issue , if not they are part of the problem. We the white/Asian/black voters having been taking for mugs for many years is the real issue and a big part of it is down to political correctness and shouting racist every time someone points to the problem. Time people got over themselves and started thinking that the law being enforced is far better than political correctness and the mess the country is in because of it.
    @Plato

If you have evidence of known employers of illegal immigrants,abnormal housing patterns etc you raid them.What you don`t do is raid a travel hub hoping that these illegal immigrants will go through that tube station in huge numbers at that particular time.

In my opinion,the police was conceived not to stamp out illegal immigration but to increase publicity amongst voters that they were trying to deal with the problem.Publicising tube station arrests with photos and tweets will only lead to illegal immigrants going underground and not to use the service for a few days and anyone with common sense knows this.The fact the UKBA were doing so indicates their target was not illegal immigrants but right-wing voters.
    MaxPB said:

taffys said:

isam

So what intelligence did they have against me?
    Did you ask them? Of course l'espririt de l'escalier is always easy in hindsight. The minister has said all this was intelligence led and this will be investigated - if he's been telling porkies, he'll get all the flack he deserves.

• richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited August 2013
    Plato..SO kindly linked our names together yesterday as being of that ilk, in spite of the fact I had not posted anything at all to give him any reason to do so..but then he does think Michigan is 6,000 miles away
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Plato

'Golly - is this true?!? A BBC documentary about UKBA staff targeting illegal immigrants in 2008 at Tube stations?'

Yes as Neal pointed out yesterday,which was met with a deafening silence from lefties.

Also the so called 'tourism survey' used by New Labour for 13 years as a measure of migration is rubbish,strange you would have thought they could have discovered that in 13 years.

When it comes to hypocrisy nobody can compete with lefties.
    edited August 2013
    Whatever colour you are be it white, black, brown or yellow - illegal immigrants use up resources paid for by those who've the right to be here.

If you want to come to the UK - do so legally. It's not hard to see that it hurts the poorest irrespective of their skin tone to not control illegal immigration and remove those who are working off-book etc and using services that they aren't paying for.

The disconnect between this simple fact and Labourites really puzzles me - no wonder many aren't happy. And calling them all racists gave us BNP MEPs last time around.
    malcolmg said:

SMukesh said:

Methinks you are the mug, do you think they should do searches in areas where there are hundreds of legal UK/white commuters and come away empty handed every time. It is called profiling , if the illegal immigrants are Asian/black then it makes sense on every level to concentrate your attention there. Legal Asian/Black commuters should be happy that the government is actually doing something towards solving a huge issue , if not they are part of the problem. We the white/Asian/black voters having been taking for mugs for many years is the real issue and a big part of it is down to political correctness and shouting racist every time someone points to the problem. Time people got over themselves and started thinking that the law being enforced is far better than political correctness and the mess the country is in because of it.
    @MalcolmG

If profiling is what they were doing,then the government should have the courage to say so.Not declare the immigration raids on tube stations were all led by specific intelligence.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,462
    Good morning, everyone.

Here's a question: imagine the Government hears that a hundred illegal immigrants from Pakistan have been spotted in area X. The police then start stopping and searching people of Asian ethnicity (either exclusively or mostly). Does this count as racist, racial profiling, intelligence-led or all three?
    Financier said:

The Backlash Against the Roma in France

(snip)

I have a massive amount of sympathy for the Roma people. The exact number is unknown, but somewhere in the region of 220,000 to 1,500,000 Romany people died in German camps during WWII, from a small population. The fact that the estimates vary so much is a symptom of the problem.

They are very much the forgotten victims of the camps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porajmos

If only 10% of the fraction of the money given to Israel since WWII had been given to the Romany people, then there world would be a better place. Sadly, most were trapped after WWII in that other evil empire, the Soviet Union.

A distinction should also be made between Romanians and Romanies; one Romanian I know hates Romanies with a passion that crosses the line into outright racism.

They are even hated in their homelands.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,462
    Oh, and for those interested in general F1 or Hungarian GP chatter, do head on over to http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/

I forget precisely how long the threads remain open (without moderator-approval) but it's probably a couple of weeks (I lengthened it a bit).
    edited August 2013
    SMukesh said:

@Plato

If you have evidence of known employers of illegal immigrants,abnormal housing patterns etc you raid them.What you don`t do is raid a travel hub hoping that these illegal immigrants will go through that tube station in huge numbers at that particular time.

In my opinion,the police was conceived not to stamp out illegal immigration but to increase publicity amongst voters that they were trying to deal with the problem.Publicising tube station arrests with photos and tweets will only lead to illegal immigrants going underground and not to use the service for a few days and anyone with common sense knows this.The fact the UKBA were doing so indicates their target was not illegal immigrants but right-wing voters.

But its not *evidence* - its circumstantial pointers that make the plod suspicious - but they can't get a warrant for it as its not strong enough. So they find another way to do it when they aren't busy catching crims doing something else.

Every force has something like this: I speak from experience here.

- all senior cops attend a weekly meeting where the CCons lays out what his priorities are/have they got a target from the HO to address or something local to sort out, the cops then justify their performance and explain what they're doing over the next week in great detail. This meeting will last about 2hrs and have about 15 there. There is nowhere to hide and very competitive.

- this is then replicated down from Supers to CI to Sergeants who direct the PCs and specials in their borough or ward but not half as intimidating.

It's a very specific, full of spreadsheets and stats and similar to a *sales meeting* for a business. If managed properly, its a very efficient way to direct resources and meet goals. It can of course be managed in a crap way.

No copper in his right mind would say "I'm going to do X and expect to get Y collars" then fail to do so. He'd be pulled to bits in front of an audience for crap targetting, crap intelligence, wasting resources and spoiling his forces numbers. There is no motivation for coppers to stop brown people for the sake of it if they can't arrest them for being illegally here.
    Neil said:

They werent all vague - I posted a link showing that while the Coalition does "intelligence-led" immigration operations at tube stations (dont ask me what kind of intelligence) there used to be random immigrant spot checks under Labour (until they were forced to stop them). I dont think there is any research on racial profiling of immigration checks (unlike, for example, the clear research showing that stop-and-search is disproportionately aimed at ethnic minorities) but I dont think anyone seriously argues that it doesnt happen and you can see that the scope for it is greater under the random spot checks that Labour used to have.
    Thanks, found it:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/immigration-checks-on-tube-passengers-banned-7254045.html

It seems to have been happening under David Blunkett, who unfortunately is going to be quite hard to shift:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Brightside_and_Hillsborough_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Election_results

Got anything after 2004?
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Morriss_Dancer

'Here's a question: imagine the Government hears that a hundred illegal immigrants from Pakistan have been spotted in area X. The police then start stopping and searching people of Asian ethnicity (either exclusively or mostly). Does this count as racist, racial profiling, intelligence-led or all three?'

Depends whose in government.

If Labour is in government it's intelligence-led,if it's the Coalition or Tories then it's racial profiling and racist.
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Plato said:

taffys said:

When I worked in recruitment - I could've made an educated guess where illegal immigrants were living as I kept seeing the same address used for dozens of people from Pakistan and Ethiopia - and they didn't all know each other. They relied on using temping agencies for work because their controls were weaker, they could shift about from one to another, use cheque cashing shops to get their wages.

I'm sure things have been tightened up a lot - but its really not hard to work out where many of them will congregate.
    The Mail had a story the other day about Slough council using thermal images to highlight back garden barracks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2281057/Spy-sky-catch-thousands-migrants-living-illegally-sheds-garages.html

@Plato

We`ll just have to wait for the Equalities Commission to pronounce on whether there was specific intelligence which led to the raids or not.
    edited August 2013
    john_zims said:

@Morriss_Dancer

'Here's a question: imagine the Government hears that a hundred illegal immigrants from Pakistan have been spotted in area X. The police then start stopping and searching people of Asian ethnicity (either exclusively or mostly). Does this count as racist, racial profiling, intelligence-led or all three?'

Depends whose in government.

If Labour is in government it's intelligence-led,if it's the Coalition or Tories then it's racial profiling and racist.

TBH, if someone has already decided - no amount of evidence of the opposite will do. It'll be nit-picked to death to undermine it so it can therefore be ignored.

Racist Van and anything to do with race falls into this category despite the fact that the people who are the target are criminals who've no right to be here at all.

If we replaced illegal immigrant with shoplifter - would there be a fuss? I doubt it. Yet certainly in Eastbourne there is a police van every Saturday sat on the concourse collecting retail thieves all afternoon.
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    SMukesh said:

@Plato

Publicising tube station arrests with photos and tweets will only lead to illegal immigrants going underground

Isn't it more likely they would go by bus, SMukesh?

This discussion has been closed.