Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you fancy a 16% return in just over eight months, this migh

2»

Comments

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

chestnut said:

It's new. It's a Yougov to go with the Com Res.

Now that Labour are exclusively a party for well off Londoners I think we can safely assume they're all abroad on their aetheist easter Springtival hols.

Corrected for you...

Those not abroad were probably all too busy on their non-religious egg hunts to answer the phone or emails.
    Speaking of which,

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/13/only-55-brits-associate-jesus-christ-easter/

"New YouGov research finds that the son of God is fourth on the list of things people associate with Easter."
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

PClipp said:

At least in this country when we have a referendum the result is clear cut, no one argues about, or moans, or tries to go to Court to get it overturned, or asks for it to be re-run, or says that it was won on the back of lies, or anything like that.

You sound like a sore loser, Mr Hopkins.

(Leavers = Losers)
    Remain Winning Here, eh Mr Clipp?
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Leave is Remain.
    Winners by small margin turn out to be Losers for the county.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

chestnut said:

Now that Labour are exclusively a party for well off Londoners I think we can safely assume they're all abroad on their aetheist easter Springtival hols.

Corrected for you...

Those not abroad were probably all too busy on their non-religious egg hunts to answer the phone or emails.
    Speaking of which,

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/13/only-55-brits-associate-jesus-christ-easter/

"New YouGov research finds that the son of God is fourth on the list of things people associate with Easter."
    Still, over 50% associate Jesus Christ with Easter
  • Options
    So Opinium was the outlier.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,240
    It's lucky that Jezza is leader or it would be a 40 point lead.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    If Con is 21 points ahead, then we could be looking at a new Con high or a new Lab low. The recent (post-2010) respective records are 47 for Con and 24 for Lab.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

I still don't believe it, even as an upper range - this government is not extraordinary enough to get a 21 point lead, and Corbyn's Labour have been moribund for long enough that there's no reason for an uptick or downtick respectively.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

Corrected for you...

Speaking of which,

Still, over 50% associate Jesus Christ with Easter
    The important thing is 14% associate Easter with Simnel cake.

:cookie:
  • Options
    Makes you wonder what's the bloody point of Brexit?

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/853720195092930560
  • Options
    I had thought that the 21-pt ComRes lead was, if not an outlier, then certainly topside and was still working on the more recent 16-17 point leads that most polls had reported these last 2 months.

But if 21 is the new norm, what does that mean for May 4?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,455
    edited April 2017

I had thought that the 21-pt ComRes lead was, if not an outlier, then certainly topside and was still working on the more recent 16-17 point leads that most polls had reported these last 2 months.

It means the force is not with Corbyn or Labour on May the Fourth.
  • Options

If Con is 21 points ahead, then we could be looking at a new Con high or a new Lab low. The recent (post-2010) respective records are 47 for Con and 24 for Lab.

If Tory is +4 and the comparable poll is the one on the YouGov website then tories are at 46%
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    kle4 said:

I still don't believe it, even as an upper range - this government is not extraordinary enough to get a 21 point lead, and Corbyn's Labour have been moribund for long enough that there's no reason for an uptick or downtick respectively.
    I don't believe it either. 25% for Labour? That's way too high.
  • Options

A local candidate's material in my patch did indeed sign off with 'May the 4th be with us'. It's cheesy, and hardly original, but I appreciated it nonetheless.
  • Options

It means the utter annihilation of Labour. Yet another leadership election this summer?
  • Options

It means the utter annihilation of Labour. Yet another leadership election this summer?
    He did once say he wanted annual elections, I believe?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Surely it's the perfect occupation for our own frothers.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Managing expectations is going to be super easy for Labour at these locals - hold Gorton, the key mayoralties, and retain a single councillor in Scotland, and it shall be a triumph, as Cat Smith would say.
  • Options
    Jason said:

kle4 said:

I don't believe it either. 25% for Labour? That's way too high.
    Indeed. Although for GE rather than locals - there is a slim chance that voters will see that local councillors, who are nothing to do with Corbyn, are doing a decent job. As I say, slim.

But GE 2019/20 is looking like Scotland-style wipeout for Labour. Midland marginals truly hate Corbyn and will vote accordingly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited April 2017

What in the actual ?!

Are people selling coffee actually net economic contributors when all costs have been taken into account.
    I don't, I mean I can't get my head round this. There's never been many near where I've lived mainly because people don't like to buy shite overpriced coffee.
    I'm a remainer and I don't see the point of this. Its not as essential job. Is this some sort of London thing ?
  • Options

Kudos
  • Options

Ah, but Corbyn looks like Obi-Wan. If you strike him down, he'll become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
  • Options

Ah, but Corbyn looks like Obi-Wan. If you strike him down, he'll become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
    It already happened once, after the Brexit vote!
  • Options

Bravo
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2017
    Pulpstar said:

What in the actual ?!

Are people selling coffee actually net economic contributors when all costs have been taken into account.
    I don't, I mean I can't get my head round this. There's never been many near where I've lived mainly because people don't like to buy shite overpriced coffee.
    I'm a remainer and I don't see the point of this. Its not as essential job. Is this some sort of London thing ?
    Its even worse than the nonsense call that all curry restaurants will have to shut down if we make it much harder for people from the sub-continent to come to work in curry kitchens.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Managing expectations is going to be super easy for Labour at these locals - hold Gorton, the key mayoralties, and retain a single councillor in Scotland, and it shall be a triumph, as Cat Smith would say.

Pyrrhic victory. Jezza stays. The agony continues.
  • Options

None of the main parties has ever had contested leadership contests in three successive years. So that'd be another first for Corbyn.

The closest is Labour in 1960-1961-1963, though that last one was down to a death, so not quite the same.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Which are the key mayoralties? If 21% is right, only Liverpool can be regarded as confidently safe.
  • Options

None of the main parties has ever had contested leadership contests in three successive years. So that'd be another first for Corbyn.

The closest is Labour in 1960-1961-1963, though that last one was down to a death, so not quite the same.
    Cue the Roy Castle tune...
  • Options

We all know he's Jar Jar Binks.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

Which are the key mayoralties? If 21% is right, only Liverpool can be regarded as confidently safe.
    Andy B will get in i suspect.

I think Labour could win the West Mids but lose Tees Valley, the latter is much more rural - I'd expect the swing there to be larger.
    The Tories won that BE in Middlesbrough the other day did they not ?
  • Options

He'll probably be happy. He is always happiest when zooming around the country on Virgin trains mouthing platitudes to his cult audience of political neophytes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Layman's view? I'd think bottom of the barrel they have to win Liverpool and Greater Manchester.

I truly think the core Labour places will remain rock solid - there is just nowhere for non Corbynistas to go in such places, and push comes to shove they'll go for Labour rather than risk an alternative, especially as a local labour candidate may not be a Corbynista. Even at the lowest ends of the scale Liverpool is safe, and Greater Manchester surely should be, though not as safe.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Surely it's only trendy metropolitan luvvies that use these coffee shops.
    All right minded staunch brits drink tea.
  • Options

He'll probably be happy. He is always happiest when zooming around the country on Virgin trains mouthing platitudes to his cult audience of political neophytes.
    I am surprised he isn't boycotting Virgin trains for some or other reason relating to beardy branson or how they treat unions or something.
  • Options

I am surprised he isn't boycotting Virgin trains for some or other reason relating to beardy branson or how they treat unions or something.
    His last known public appearance was in a train toilet wearing a baseball cap iirc. I have no idea why, but seems suitable.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Only until 6. Then we are on to G&Ts.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Sod the NHS, Amber Rudd can't bear to go without her morning Starbucks.
  • Options
    shortly... there will be a new thread.....
  • Options

Nope, Mike's on holiday and in bed, and my stint as Editor of PB on Sunday ends at 10.30pm on Sundays.
  • Options

Nope, Mike's on holiday and in bed, and my stint as Editor of PB on Sunday ends at 10.30pm on Sundays.
    Oh god....global thermo-nuclear war is nailed on then.
  • Options

It's a UK based holiday, and he's been on on holiday since last week, experience tells me the major stuff only happens when Mike goes abroad.
  • Options

It's a UK based holiday, and he's been on on holiday since last week, experience tells me the major stuff only happens when Mike goes abroad.
    Phew...
  • Options
    YouGov

Con 44 (+2) Lab 23 (-2) Lib Dems 12 (+1) UKIP 10 (-1)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Oh dear
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,455
    edited April 2017

YouGov

Labour's share of the vote is the lowest YouGov have recorded since 2009.

The Liberal Democrats have climbed back to 12 per cent, their equal best level of public support this parliament, which they matched once before in December.
  • Options

YouGov

And they recovered from that just fine, so it's all good, mr Corbyn.
  • Options

YouGov

5...4...3...2...1....Justin Short Straws tell us why it isn't that bad for Labour and GE 2020 will be very close.
  • Options
    I don't want Corbyn to go :cry:

Not yet.
  • Options

Not yet.

In all seriousness, he's in no danger of going just yet - short of an apocalypse on May 4th (eg Gorton being lost), they won't even challenge him again.
  • Options

YouGov

I thought Labour's floor was 25%?
  • Options

Not yet.

Don't worry the spread of 21st Century socialism is actually totally on track...it is just the Zionist run biased media that are faking these polls to try to derail the crowning of the supreme leader *....

* that is at least what my twitter feed says.
  • Options

YouGov

Margin of error.
  • Options
    Joint-worst figure in opposition since records began. Impressive.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not yet.

In all seriousness, he's in no danger of going just yet - short of an apocalypse on May 4th (eg Gorton being lost), they won't even challenge him again.
    What you are trying to say is that Kim Jong Un is in more danger of being replaced than the supreme leader of the UK.
  • Options

Joint-worst figure in opposition since records began. Impressive.

He's a record breakkkkkkkkkkkkkerrrrrr....
  • Options

YouGov

Well the Corbynites will tell you the polls have been wrong in the past.

I talked to a pollster last week, and I mentioned the fact I tipped Labour to poll below 20% at the next general election, he told me I might as well start spending my winnings already.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I shall be delighted if Labour lose all the Mayoral elections on May 4th!
  • Options

YouGov

I talked to a pollster last week, and I mentioned the fact I tipped Labour to poll below 20% at the next general election, he told me I might as well start spending my winnings already.
    Have Paddy Power out on the Tories winning the 2020 GE yet? Gotta be pretty soon if they haven't.
  • Options

Not yet.

Don't worry the spread of 21st Century socialism is actually totally on track...it is just the Zionist run biased media that are faking these polls to try to derail the crowning of the supreme leader *....

* that is at least what my twitter feed says.
    Remember I've been accused of being a Zionist pollster.
  • Options

YouGov

But they like polls now - there were those ones showing Labour policies were popular and Corbyn's name didn't drag down approval of them either.

Plus I hear his name alone is worth 20 points. I forget who it was worth 20 points to, but that's probably not important.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The pragmatic case for moving Britain’s capital to Manchester"

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/2017/02/go-north
  • Options
    kle4 said:

YouGov

But they like polls now - there were those ones showing Labour policies were popular and Corbyn's name didn't drag down approval of them either.

Plus I hear his name alone is worth 20 points. I forget who it was worth 20 points to, but that's probably not important.
    This is what Mike and Matt Singh tweeted a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/850340274329006080

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/850342037849329665
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

YouGov

This is what Mike and Matt Singh tweeted a few days ago.

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/850340274329006080

twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/850342037849329665
    Just wait until the Tories paint him as IRA supporting Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    AndyJS said:

"The pragmatic case for moving Britain’s capital to Manchester"

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/2017/02/go-north

I'm no fan of London, but I don't like the idea myself. The benefits to such options always seem overly optimistic to me, as well as reaching to areas I am not convinced it would (piercing the establishment bubble for instance - the idea moving the political capital would affect the culture to any significant degree is unrealistic as far as I can see, supposition more than anything else, like the idea abandoning a few archaic but harmless traditions will suddenly make politics more open and engaging to normal people). Although it is true the costs, of moving or renovating the Palace for working use (I assume renovating as a museum would cost less, while still being expensive), will be enormous. I assume we should just quadruple any estimate and triple the time estimate too.

But I hear Manchester is nice.
  • Options
    Labour members were warned that if they elected Corbyn as leader they would eventually be down to 20% in the polls. They didn't listen.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    justin124 said:

I shall be delighted if Labour lose all the Mayoral elections on May 4th!

They won't lose Manchester with the moderate Burnham as candidate IMO.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour members were warned that if they elected Corbyn as leader they would eventually be down to 20% in the polls. They didn't listen.

They still believe in him (or in the brand, in spite of him). 25% didn't phase them, 23% won't, nor will 20%. Copeland barely phased them. No MPs will jump ship to another party, I guarantee it. It's doubtful if any will even go Indy. If the polls and previous results and the leadership group of the party cannot cause the members to wake up, what will? Will Gorton (which will be easily won) be enough? Greater Manchester? Even Liverpool?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I wouldn't be surprised if, in ten years' time, Turkey is an islamo-fascist hell-hole with an Iraqi-style civil war and mass flight of the urban youth to Europe.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

So two polls that past 24hrs, are the Tories leading by 9 or 21% ?

Probably neither, although number cruncher tried answering the same question.

https://www.ncpolitics.uk/2017/04/is-the-conservative-lead-21-points-or-9-points.html/
    I get the difficulty over the Easter hols, but it does make pollsters look pretty ridiculous when you are getting a giant difference and the direction of travel being polar opposite.

When the robots have taken over, at least the first issue won't be a problem as they don't take holidays...
    Indeed! On the same basis why should we trust polls conducted in the holiday months of July and August?
    People's holidays are more spread out over that period.
    Maybe so - but Easter is hardly like Xmas. How many people really travel far at this time of the year?
    I suspect that its become more frequent in recent years, ditto the October school holidays. I have certainly noticed that far more people with kids are choosing to take them away for a break at Easter or in October rather than during the Summer, unless your budget runs to two or more holidays a year.
  • Options
    On Topic:

I'd rather back Chelsea to win this season's Premier League title at the same 1/6 odds and see my winnings paid in 4 weeks' time rather than having to wait 8 months to see Bercow continue as Speaker into 2018.
This discussion has been closed.