Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling Matters on the Lib Dem fightback – how high can their

13»

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

Poor Turkey. Ataturk will be spinning in his grave.

Why ? He was a dictator.
    But secular? Like Assad?
    Well, his successors hanged an elected Prime Minister. He was democratic like Al-Sisi.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

F1: post-race analysis is now up. Lib Dems may be interested to know there's a bar chart (and a line graph too):
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/bahrain-post-race-analysis-2017.html

A good review.
    One disagreement - I think Mercedes are (slightly) faster. Had they not effed up Bottas tyres on the grid, I think one of the two Mercs would have won.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Perhaps the most colourful candidate standing in the elections on May 4th is Renee Slater a Green candidate in City of Aberdeen council .
    As Ron Slater (s)he was a Labour councillor until 1985 when disqualified for defrauding the council of £ 300 .
    In 2012 now Renee Slater she was charged with electoral fraud after acting as agent she nominated a mannequin dummy "Helena Torry " to stand in the local elections that year .
    At the trial in January 2013 she was acquitted on a technicality as the Prosecution tried to prosecute her under an incorrect section of the Representation Of The Peoples Act .
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:
    I don't see how No can win.

Turkish Republic, 1923-2017. RIP.
    Yes. Kemal Ataturk's Turkey was, for all its flaws, a good thing. Secular, pro-Western, democratic.

Now this. Sad.
    Democratic? To some extent. The secular elite are now paying the price for stamping on the culture and traditions of Anatolia. The heartland would tolerate it from Ataturk, but not the self-seeking elites who followed.
    But aren't the culture and traditions of Anatolia actually Greek?

:naughty:
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    surbiton said:

nunu said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Yes. Kemal Ataturk's Turkey was, for all its flaws, a good thing. Secular, pro-Western, democratic.

Now this. Sad.
    Democratic? To some extent. The secular elite are now paying the price for stamping on the culture and traditions of Anatolia. The heartland would tolerate it from Ataturk, but not the self-seeking elites who followed.
    The turkish heartland is rejecting the coastal elite......
    The vote is exactly the same as it would have been 50 years ago or even 60. The AK party's predecessor, the Justice Party and it's predecessor, the Democrat Party also got their votes from the Anatolian heartland and provincial towns. Only under Erdogan that they began to win in Istanbut and Ankara. I understand today, "Evet" may have lost in Ankara and Istanbul.
    Istanbul has grown vastly since the 1970s. The population is now much more Anatolian, and hence the AK party does better than in the past.

Losing there today will irritate Erdogan immensely.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Turkish referendum figures vary a lot by country.
    UK, Italy, Greece, Spain, Bulgaria, Hungary, Sweden all very much 'No'.
    Austria, Netherlands and Germany very much 'Yes'

UK Turks are very integrated. There are a fair number of them in Conservative associations in parts of North London.
    Also a lot of them are Kurds.
    Why such a difference between expats in u.k and Germany/Netherlands? They are both sunni muslim right?
    Integration perhaps. German Turks are obliged (?) to retain their Turkish citizenship.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. B, thanks.

On pace, time will tell. Regardless, I think we agree the margin is very slight and will ebb and flow according to conditions, tracks and development.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    calum said:
    Attractive lady.

Seem to recall there were suggestions of this a few years back, and the response was basically 'It's complicated'.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

surbiton said:

nunu said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Now this. Sad.
    The vote is exactly the same as it would have been 50 years ago or even 60. The AK party's predecessor, the Justice Party and it's predecessor, the Democrat Party also got their votes from the Anatolian heartland and provincial towns. Only under Erdogan that they began to win in Istanbut and Ankara. I understand today, "Evet" may have lost in Ankara and Istanbul.
    Istanbul has grown vastly since the 1970s. The population is now much more Anatolian, and hence the AK party does better than in the past.

I'm sure he'll get over it, given the overall result.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Poor Turkey. Ataturk will be spinning in his grave.

Why ? He was a dictator.
    Dictators cannot spin in their graves at a country taking a turn they would not like?
    Whether you like it or not, the vote represents many similar splits in the Turkish fabric. The west and parts of the south being liberal. The heartland voting strongly with the conservative party and the east voting against simply because they are Kurds.

The Liberal Establishment hanged an elected Prime Minister, ousted another one and may have planned a similar fate for Erdogan as well. So much for democracy.
    I wasn't making any comment about democracy, perhaps you meant to reply to someone else. I was pointing out someone lamenting the outcome and thinking Ataturk would be spinning in his grave at it might well be true, regardless of how democratic he was. Being a dictator or a democrat has nothing to do with whether he would be spinning in his grave at this outcome.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2017
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Turkish referendum figures vary a lot by country.
    UK, Italy, Greece, Spain, Bulgaria, Hungary, Sweden all very much 'No'.
    Austria, Netherlands and Germany very much 'Yes'

UK Turks are very integrated. There are a fair number of them in Conservative associations in parts of North London.
    Also a lot of them are Kurds.
    Why such a difference between expats in u.k and Germany/Netherlands? They are both sunni muslim right?
    A good question with a relatively simple answer. Germany invited unskilled Turks en masse in the 1960s to work, who tended to come from the more culturally conservative parts of the country. They brought their customs and religion with them, which their children have perpetuated.

In the U.K., Turks have never had favourable treatment for immigration purposes (unlike Commonwealth citizens). Those who come here will be disproportionately rich and/or educated.

It would be interesting to see how the political attitudes of Pakistanis in Germany differ from those of the community here. I expect we would see a similar split.
  • Options
    http://www.ibtimes.com/british-passport-asma-al-assad-wife-bashar-al-assad-could-cause-international-issues-uk-if-it

A scenario does exist that could strip Assad of her citizenship. According to a report in London’s Daily Telegraph, the Home Office is in the early stages of examining the possibility of revoking her British citizenship under the 2006 Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act, which can allow such a move if it is “conducive to the public good” and doesn’t leave the individual stateless.

September 2013
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Mr. D, sounds like a free and fair election to me. ....

They should have sent this crack team of election observers to ensure it was free and fair...

Genuine LOL moment
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RoyalBlue said:

surbiton said:

nunu said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Now this. Sad.

If you look at the map, the spread is the same as in most Turkish elections. You are right, both Istanbul and Ankara voted No. But the heartland voted Yes even more strongly as the Turkish nationalists [ MHP ] also supported Yes.

I presume some of the "liberal" AK party supporters voted No.

If you go back to most Turkish elections in the past 60 years [ except when predecessor parties of AK were banned by the Military ], the result spread would be very similar.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Theresa May now trying to take the credit for the absence of a nuclear holocaust.

htps://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/853654520974409728

I am 98% certain that such statements are agreed by both parties to the conversation prior to release and therefore the claim is true and Trump wishes it to be known that it is true. Your problem is that it confirms that the UK remains a player on the world stage, in particular because of TMay's astute handling of our relationship with Washington. This was never meant to happen after Brexit, and a little twinge of butt hurt has spoiled your Easter.
    Only 98%, eh?

So out of 100 twitter stories, you believe two will be fabricated. Who's to say this isn't one of them?
    Well, two out of 100 Sun stories. :)
    well it was also a twitter link in this instance, but yes...
    OK, so if I tweet, let us say, the laws of thermodynamics, that calls them into question because as well as being the laws of thermodynamics they are "also a twitter link in this instance"?

And can you not distinguish between stories in the Sun which say "Lord Lucan spotted in Tierra del Fuego" (not easily disproven) and "Downing Street says x" (disproven in an instant by a denial from Downing Street, whose own statement is in turn disproven in an instant by a tweet from the Donald?) Really, how difficult is this?
    Don't have a go at me you were the one who was only 98% certain.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    kle4 said:

calum said:
    Attractive lady.

Seem to recall there were suggestions of this a few years back, and the response was basically 'It's complicated'.
    She is a British national by birth rather than naturalisation, which makes it different from other cases reported recently.
    If her citizenship is revoked then it sets a precedent whereby we simply revoke the citizenship of anyone who commits a crime, like the medieval punishment of banishment.
    She hasn't committed a crime and hasn't been proven guilty of anything, other than occasionally defending the Assad regime in the media, which is hardly even a crime, indeed Assad has his supporters on this forum.
    In my view people shouldn't get their nationality revoked, because otherwise it makes nationality a meaningless concept. By all means the government could make it harder to obtain British citizenship, or they could even prevent people from having dual nationality status (ie if you are becoming british, you have to revoke your yemeni/ sudanese/ syrian/ afghan/ iraqi nationality). But you cant just turn the whole thing in to something that is temporary and can be removed at the whim of politicians.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574

Labour members are leaving at around 3,000 every week, largely unnoticed by The Media. Of course with nearly half a Million members that slow leak can drag on a long time with no obvious effect but it is damaging whats left of Labour morale.

Citation needed for your figures - I read the original alarmist story, but I don't think it's actually happening. I'm membership secretary for my (north Nottingham) area and there have been precisely 2 resignations and 2 lapses (and 2 new members) in the last 3 months. That's possibly partly because nearly everyone is now on direct debit. It's a WWC area and I doubt if the position is very different elsewhere. If the LibDems even exist locally, they're showing no sign of it.

I do think the LibDems have a good opportunity at the moment and of course Labour is in difficulty, but it's not obvious that the LibDems are making much headway beyond a useful ability to gain tactical support in well-canvassed local eleections.
    So -4 +2 = -2 in your area for the Labour party in the last month.
    In the constituency I live in, in the last month the Lib Dems have had 1 member lapse and 12 new joiners. And we are typical of the local parties in our area.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

surbiton said:

nunu said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Now this. Sad.

I'm sure he'll get over it, given the overall result.
    If this is what it looks like: a slide towards dictatorship in Turkey, then it seems entirely possible to expect an influx of refugees out of Turkey.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "... so if I tweet, let us say, the laws of thermodynamics ..."

It occurred to me that a fair number of the denizens of this site will not be familiar with the laws of thermodynamics but that Flanders and Swann did a jolly good song which explained at least the first and second on them. Unfortunately I could not find a nice recording of said song suitable for this site. So herewith the same two gentlemen singing about an "ill wind", instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHWnFJ4_61U
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    So is the Tory lead 9% or 21% ???
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

"... so if I tweet, let us say, the laws of thermodynamics ..."

It occurred to me that a fair number of the denizens of this site will not be familiar with the laws of thermodynamics but that Flanders and Swann did a jolly good song which explained at least the first and second on them. Unfortunately I could not find a nice recording of said song suitable for this site. So herewith the same two gentlemen singing about an "ill wind", instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHWnFJ4_61U

https://youtu.be/VnbiVw_1FNs
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited April 2017
    Edit as ThreeQuidder has posted the same clip
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

So is the Tory lead 9% or 21% ???

No.
This discussion has been closed.