Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The French Presidency, Manchester Gorton & how long will Trump

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Khalid from Kent.

But was he a Kentish Khalid or a Khalid of Kent?
    Or perhaps there's a new category, Kent born Khalid.
    https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/844937978527043585
    TSE must be so disappointed the attacker wasn't a far right extemist

:innocent:
    Have certain pbers managed to live down their rabid screams to demand to know the religion of the Glasgow bin lorry driver?
    Some part of them will always believe that a pale, overweight pie eater from Baillieston is a follower of the prophet.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996

Quite so, Mr. D, which brings us back to where I started - the claim is mathematical twaddle. 4 million is a lot bigger number than 20 and of those 4m those of breeding age probably number at least 2million and they didn't stop breeding.

Your logic is faulty because those of breeding age would have bred with descendants of John of Gaunt. It only takes one drop along the way.

However, in practice I expect that the John of Gaunt statistic is wrong because the descendants would have been disproportionately likely to be breeding with each other rather than bringing proles into the Gaunt bloodline.
    " disproportionately likely to be breeding with each other rather than bringing proles into the Gaunt bloodline"

This is where daughters are important, once married off to another man their fortune is no longer relevant to the gentry. And THEIR daughter is right out.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Mr. T, quite. But the first time it was mentioned on the news last night was regarding fears the far right are, or might be, making Muslims feel scared.

Good afternoon, Miss JGP.

On Edward III, a majority (over 99%) of long-term Englishmen are descended from him, so it's hardly impressive.

The better fact is that more than 99% of Englishmen are descended from Mohammed.

Edward III's son, John of Gaunt, married a Spanish noblewoman who was descended (because Spain had previously been under control of the Moors) from Mohammed. And, from him (because he had an awful lot of children, and much time has passed) over 99% of Englishmen [well, Anglo-Saxons, to be picky] are descended.

Edited extra bit: source for both those stats is Ian Mortimer's The Perfect King.
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/review-perfect-king-life-of-edward-iii.html

I read somewhere that all Europeans are descended from Charlemagne. I've no idea whether that is true or not or how anybody would go about verifying it.
    More than likely

On my mother's side I go Wicks -> Viveash -> Fribbence -> Gilbert -> Piper/Baber -> Leigh

Which then has a line of descent:

Leigh -> Bond -> Hale -> Cavendish -> Cavendish-Bentinick -> Bowes-Lyon -> Windsor
    Which are you more chuffed about, the relation to HM or 007? :p
    Oh Lol its miles off, I'm guessing either @Charles or @tlg86 is closest to the Queen here.
    Hmm, are we sure that Charles isn't *the* Charles? ;)
    Do you really think I'd be daft enough to post under my real name if I was?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jason said:

Roger said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

If it's an Islamic/Islamist terror attack, that should be the focus. The fact he happened to be born in this country is irrelevant.

By that logic, the 7/7 attack should've been all about them (3/4) being from Beeston.

It's mealy-mouthed to only refer to Islamic fundamentalism when worrying about a far right response (the first time it was mentioned on the news last night was when the police officer doing the late press conference referred to such a concern).

Of course, when attacks aren't of that nature (Breivik being the most obvious example), that should also be made clear.

I would say his nationality is far more important than his religion. I find the fact that someone British born should choose to behave like this is far more concerning than that he should self designate as an islamist
    I would say his religion is a far more determining factor regarding his behaviour than where he was born.
    Maybe maybe not but it puts into question Nigel's appearance in front of a large poster of Turkish would-be immigrants together with the implication that we must stop importing terrorism.
    How does the fact we have Muslim terrorists born in this country bring into question the wisdom of not importing more? Bizarre logic.
    It was posited as being a remedy for terrorism.
    Which in isolation it is not, but is a pretty obvious contributor. To say that "implying we must stop importing terrorism" is questionable as a remedial measure for terrorism is absurd.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pulpstar said:

Quite so, Mr. D, which brings us back to where I started - the claim is mathematical twaddle. 4 million is a lot bigger number than 20 and of those 4m those of breeding age probably number at least 2million and they didn't stop breeding.

Your logic is faulty because those of breeding age would have bred with descendants of John of Gaunt. It only takes one drop along the way.

However, in practice I expect that the John of Gaunt statistic is wrong because the descendants would have been disproportionately likely to be breeding with each other rather than bringing proles into the Gaunt bloodline.
    " disproportionately likely to be breeding with each other rather than bringing proles into the Gaunt bloodline"

This is where daughters are important, once married off to another man their fortune is no longer relevant to the gentry. And THEIR daughter is right out.
    Genghis Khan:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/mar/02/science.research
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Mr. Rex, I gather they don't follow individual threads, just make a calculation based on the length of time and what we know of the first few generations after a given individual (John of Gaunt had lots of kids, and I think they did too, add that to over 600 years and that's what the calculation reveals).

Sounds like twaddle to me, Mr. Dancer, mathematical twaddle. John of Gaunt and his immediate progeny make up less than a tiny fraction of 1% of the population in the mid-fourteenth century. The other 99.whatever% did not stop procreating. Would that section of the population have produced more offspring that even John of Gaunt's fertile loins? How could he have out-bred every other man in the kingdom.
    Probably due to the descendants of that 1% marrying the descendants of the 99%.
    Does that really work though, Mr. D. Even taking into account Mr. Pulpstar's point about doubling up on the number of ancestor's at each generation. The number of people who are not descended from John of Gaunt has always massively out numbered those that are. Therefore the chance of breeding with one of the clan has always been very slim.
    Yeah, it's *only* about twenty generations (using the non-Scottish definition of the word here), so the chance that all non-John of Gaunt descendants have intermarried with the 1% are probably pretty slim. Saying that, if they are efficient at intermarrying they would be up to 2% after the first generation, 4% in the second, 8%.. etc. That would quickly build up.
    Don't forget that the population was much smaller, and the noble classes probably had a higher percentage change of surviving longer and procreating more (both within wedlock and as by-blows).

(Although I am descended from both John of Gaunt and Mohammed with the paperwork to prove it)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,424
    @Pulpstar re. your question earlier, it was just a slip of the tongue. She meant infinite.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    That'll teach @Mortimer to organise a drink up
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,364
    Nate Cohn‏Verified account @Nate_Cohn 2h2 hours ago

Voters disapprove of the GOP plan to replace Obamacare by a staggering 56 to 17% margin

And yet someone voted for Trump and his plan. I am reminded of the TV clip during the election when a Trump voter said he hated Obamacare and was voting the Donald in to get rid of it. The reporter asked him what he would do for medical insurance. Oh, I'm ok was the reply - I'm covered on the Affordable Care Act.
  • Options

Voters disapprove of the GOP plan to replace Obamacare by a staggering 56 to 17% margin

And yet someone voted for Trump and his plan. I am reminded of the TV clip during the election when a Trump voter said he hated Obamacare and was voting the Donald in to get rid of it. The reporter asked him what he would do for medical insurance. Oh, I'm ok was the reply - I'm covered on the Affordable Care Act.

Trump REPEATEDLY said Obamacare was a "disaster" on the campaign trail. People can hardly say they weren't given due warning..
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Barnesian said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Jason said:

Roger said:

If it's an Islamic/Islamist terror attack, that should be the focus. The fact he happened to be born in this country is irrelevant.

By that logic, the 7/7 attack should've been all about them (3/4) being from Beeston.

It's mealy-mouthed to only refer to Islamic fundamentalism when worrying about a far right response (the first time it was mentioned on the news last night was when the police officer doing the late press conference referred to such a concern).

Of course, when attacks aren't of that nature (Breivik being the most obvious example), that should also be made clear.

I would say his nationality is far more important than his religion. I find the fact that someone British born should choose to behave like this is far more concerning than that he should self designate as an islamist
    I would say his religion is a far more determining factor regarding his behaviour than where he was born.
    Roger would much prefer to blame the idea of Britishness for this horrific crime than have the remotest hint of any blame whatsoever attached to a distorted understanding of Islam. Such is the nature of political correctness among those of his ilk.
    Now, can we somehow through a process of reeducation, reorientation and positive reinforcement change a Tottenham fan into a Chelsea one? Who knows. But they are all Brits and we need to deal with that.
    All you say is largely correct and has sweet fa to do with my point about Roger who detests everything about the country of his birth. Just as a matter of interest how do you think some of these terrorists self-identify? Muslim? or Brit? Maybe you can get down off your high horse and try to answer it honestly.
    No idea, frankly.

Neither do I care what Roger does or doesn't think of his country. My interest is how the idea of wanting to stop or reduce terrorism interacts with a desire to close our borders, for example to Muslims a la Trump.

Which I believe to be nonsensical and which lends itself to illogical and damaging actions which don't address the core issue.
    I believe the main motive of ISIS terrorism is to provoke us to turn against Muslims in general and thereby radicalise more Muslims in a vicious circle. It is ISIS's only leverage.
    Well yes, that is exactly what ISIS have said the aim of their terrorism is.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Charles, yes.

You are the Prince of Wales, and I claim an earldom.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,431
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Mr. T, quite. But the first time it was mentioned on the news last night was regarding fears the far right are, or might be, making Muslims feel scared.

On Edward III, a majority (over 99%) of long-term Englishmen are descended from him, so it's hardly impressive.

The better fact is that more than 99% of Englishmen are descended from Mohammed.

Edward III's son, John of Gaunt, married a Spanish noblewoman who was descended (because Spain had previously been under control of the Moors) from Mohammed. And, from him (because he had an awful lot of children, and much time has passed) over 99% of Englishmen [well, Anglo-Saxons, to be picky] are descended.

Edited extra bit: source for both those stats is Ian Mortimer's The Perfect King.
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/review-perfect-king-life-of-edward-iii.html

I read somewhere that all Europeans are descended from Charlemagne. I've no idea whether that is true or not or how anybody would go about verifying it.
    More than likely

On my mother's side I go Wicks -> Viveash -> Fribbence -> Gilbert -> Piper/Baber -> Leigh

Leigh -> Bond -> Hale -> Cavendish -> Cavendish-Bentinick -> Bowes-Lyon -> Windsor
    Oh Lol its miles off, I'm guessing either @Charles or @tlg86 is closest to the Queen here.
    George VII? :)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Is that a double-bluff?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

20 million is a lower bound though, say, for example, the John of Gaunt descendants typically had five children compared with two for the peasant classes.
    The fecundity of the nobility is known down the ages and by the aged .... :smile:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,364
    Alistair said:

Barnesian said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Jason said:

Roger said:

Roger would much prefer to blame the idea of Britishness for this horrific crime than have the remotest hint of any blame whatsoever attached to a distorted understanding of Islam. Such is the nature of political correctness among those of his ilk.
    Now, can we somehow through a process of reeducation, reorientation and positive reinforcement change a Tottenham fan into a Chelsea one? Who knows. But they are all Brits and we need to deal with that.
    All you say is largely correct and has sweet fa to do with my point about Roger who detests everything about the country of his birth. Just as a matter of interest how do you think some of these terrorists self-identify? Muslim? or Brit? Maybe you can get down off your high horse and try to answer it honestly.
    No idea, frankly.

snip
    I believe the main motive of ISIS terrorism is to provoke us to turn against Muslims in general and thereby radicalise more Muslims in a vicious circle. It is ISIS's only leverage.
    Well yes, that is exactly what ISIS have said the aim of their terrorism is.
    Actually, I think it is worse than this (if that is possible). ISIS believe Muslims who live among non-believers (i.e. here in christian west) are as bad as the non-believers and deserve to die as well.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    TudorRose said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

A very interesting slide in many respects:

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/844955986947379200

In absolute terms the UK took more Eastern EU migrants than any other EU nation from 2004 to 2011 as Blair imposed no transition controls
    Doesn't that slide rather ignore the size of the country / population density etc? And wouldn't those be relevant to this questions?

And it completely ignores what you define as 'overrun'. You could argue all of the countries on the chart are over-run or none of them, depending on your viewpoint. The fact that the UK is in the centre of a statistical distribution doesn't justify the conclusion. If it were a student of mine I'd be suggesting that they try harder!
    I didn't define "overrun". I was asking a question. If you were my teacher, I'd expect a constructive attempt to engage!

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Cyclefree said:

TudorRose said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

In absolute terms the UK took more Eastern EU migrants than any other EU nation from 2004 to 2011 as Blair imposed no transition controls
    Doesn't that slide rather ignore the size of the country / population density etc? And wouldn't those be relevant to this questions?

And it completely ignores what you define as 'overrun'. You could argue all of the countries on the chart are over-run or none of them, depending on your viewpoint. The fact that the UK is in the centre of a statistical distribution doesn't justify the conclusion. If it were a student of mine I'd be suggesting that they try harder!
    I didn't define "overrun". I was asking a question. If you were my teacher, I'd expect a constructive attempt to engage!

I wasn't criticising you, I was criticising the statement on the slide - that's what the 'it' refers to in my first line.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

I reckon I'm about 85,000th in line to the thrown...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Is that a double-bluff?
    Were you one of the 823?
  • Options
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Is that a double-bluff?
    Were you one of the 823?
    Geoff used up all of his 823 votes in the Referendum :lol:
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    JackW said:

RobD said:

20 million is a lower bound though, say, for example, the John of Gaunt descendants typically had five children compared with two for the peasant classes.
    The fecundity of the nobility is known down the ages and by the aged .... :smile:
    As is the fact that while the noble is away doing noble stuff in the wars, his castle's policies are full of lusty young ghillies and gamekeepers and so forth.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited March 2017

Mr. Charles, yes.

You are the Prince of Wales, and I claim an earldom.

Earl Morris of The Dance? Or will it be Earl Dancer of the Whiffle Stick? Though thinking about it, that sort of title is used for lesser mortals - Viscounts and Barons. Earls are more direct in their titles. So perhaps we could Earl of Writers' Block or, maybe, Earl of Bleedin'HellWhenDidHeSayTheNextBookWasComingOut.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Pulpstar said:

Trump REPEATEDLY said Obamacare was a "disaster" on the campaign trail. People can hardly say they weren't given due warning..
    Trump did say Obamacare was a disaster but he also pledged to replace it with something better -- but what he has done is not present Trumpcare (better, cheaper, full provision) but basically endorse the Ryan plan which is worse for many Americans but does not go far enough down the repeal route for some GOPpers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

As in Game of Throwns, that epic saga set in the world of high-stakes poker dice?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Probably about right if Rose Leveson Gower (Nee Bowes Lyon) was your great grandmother.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    IanB2 said:

@Pulpstar re. your question earlier, it was just a slip of the tongue. She meant infinite.

Of course. So what she said had no content. Meaningless platitude.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Pulpstar said:

Trump did say Obamacare was a disaster but he also pledged to replace it with something better -- but what he has done is not present Trumpcare (better, cheaper, full provision) but basically endorse the Ryan plan which is worse for many Americans but does not go far enough down the repeal route for some GOPpers.
    The two most popular features of Ryancare comes from Obamacare !!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

I'll be honest, even now, I'm still not sure exactly what "Obamacare" actually entails. The US healthcare system seems such a tangled mess that I give up trying to read how it works (and what Obamacare changed about it) halfway through any article I read on it.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ishmael_Z said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

As is the fact that while the noble is away doing noble stuff in the wars, his castle's policies are full of lusty young ghillies and gamekeepers and so forth.
    The occasion influx of stout yeoman stock is no bad thing .... so I'm told.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jason said:

Roger said:

Maybe maybe not but it puts into question Nigel's appearance in front of a large poster of Turkish would-be immigrants together with the implication that we must stop importing terrorism.
    How does the fact we have Muslim terrorists born in this country bring into question the wisdom of not importing more? Bizarre logic.
    It's not a remedy. But when you have a problem with integration or, indeed, de-integration of second/third generations, then it really does not make a whole lot of sense to increase the numbers in a particular community. That is not going to aid integration. And unintegrated communities are likely to pose a higher risk of creating the breeding grounds for terrorism and other extremist behavior or behavior at odds with the norms of the society. That is not good for social cohesion.

To misquote a famous person's words: There is such a thing as society. I don't want the society I live in to end up fractured because we refuse to apply any sort of common-sense or intelligent judgment to the question of who should be permitted to join it.

There is a discussion to be had about further levels of immigration and integration. But let's look at practicalities. The government seems to be about to clamp down on Polish plumbers while doing nothing about non-EU immigration.

So even if we think there should be no more immigration from Muslim countries the UK does not seem about to do anything about it.

But that's beside the point. Reducing such immigration in future will not address the issue of British terrorists today.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TudorRose said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Could be wrong, but I think TR's comment was directed at williamglenn (as an adjunct to your earlier comment) and not at you.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    I wonder what percentage of the UK's mosques tomorrow will be telling their faithful that the Westminster terrorist is now burning in hell. As will all who follow in his footsteps. As will all who sit on information about others planning to follow in his footsteps.

Surely, it will have to be 100%? /sarcasm-mode
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jason said:

Roger said:

To misquote a famous person's words: There is such a thing as society. I don't want the society I live in to end up fractured because we refuse to apply any sort of common-sense or intelligent judgment to the question of who should be permitted to join it.

There is a discussion to be had about further levels of immigration and integration. But let's look at practicalities. The government seems to be about to clamp down on Polish plumbers while doing nothing about non-EU immigration.

So even if we think there should be no more immigration from Muslim countries the UK does not seem about to do anything about it.

But that's beside the point. Reducing such immigration in future will not address the issue of British terrorists today.
    Do you think there is a solution? Personally I think it is too late, and this is the new normal. Extreme surveillance, less freedom, more anxiety
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Possibly you'd think it was hiding in plain sight.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, I'd be Lord of the Dance, but I believe that title's already taken...

Book scheduling/ramble:
    Well, Traitor's Prize was originally intended for November/December, and I'm going to try and release it June/July.
    I also have two exciting innovative projects (a serial and a tip-top secret something) that should be out in the next month or two.

I might be trying to draw some sketches for the serial (for promotional nonsense) so that might add a little to the time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    JackW said:

Ishmael_Z said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

The occasion influx of stout yeoman stock is no bad thing .... so I'm told.
    We don't want any Charles Hapsburg repeats. :smiley:
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited March 2017
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jason said:

Roger said:

It's mealy-mouthed to only refer to Islamic fundamentalism when worrying about a far right response (the fince referred to such a concern).

Do you think there is a solution? Personally I think it is too late, and this is the new normal. Extreme surveillance, less freedom, more anxiety
    I don't actually think there is a solution beyond an active promotion of our values. Whose values? Post reformation, enlightenment values for me. But plenty of Brits value Islamic Fundamentalism.

I think the modern globalised world has thrown up some challenges for which the answers are still a work in progress.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Probably about right if Rose Leveson Gower (Nee Bowes Lyon) was your great grandmother.
    Afraid not. I'm the great grandson of Evelyn Marmaduke Gresham Leveson Gower:

http://thepeerage.com/p1570.htm#i15691

And Elo Janet Catherine Farquharson:

http://thepeerage.com/p1571.htm#i15710
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Consanguinity index of 0%! You lucky sod ;)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Many American voters don't know what Obamacare was and didn't know they were getting their healthcare under and Obamacare provision.

Many Trump voter though that 'others' were getting Obamacare and sponging off them. They were happy to vote for others to no longer have healthcare.

The repeal attempt has revealed to many that Obamacare is the only thing keeping them in health insurance.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jason said:

Roger said:

It's mealy-mouthed to only refer to Islamic fundamentalism when worrying about a far right response (the fince referred to such a concern).

I don't actually think there is a solution beyond an active promotion of our values. Whose values? Post reformation, enlightenment values for me. But plenty of Brits value Islamic Fundamentalism.

I think the modern globalised world has thrown up some challenges for which the answers are still a work in progress.
    I think in a game of Values Top Trumps, Islamic beats Secular hands down in the "commitment" category

The mistake humans have made in the last half a century or so seems to be switching from "don't try it in case it makes a mess" to "just try it and clear up the mess as best you can" in almost every aspect. We celebrate the happy accidents and ignore the permanent stains
  • Options
    @tlg86 I note your G G Grandmother was a "Leigh". Which makes us 15th cousins or so :p
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    If PB becomes a dosshouse for minor royalty and 1st Class passengers I’m gonna flounce...
  • Options

If PB becomes a dosshouse for minor royalty and 1st Class passengers I’m gonna flounce...

We're all sons of Mohammed here :>
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Just checked, I had to go back nine generations to this guy to find someone in common with the bloke that the Queen Mother's sister married:

http://thepeerage.com/p10559.htm#i105589
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@tlg86 I note your G G Grandmother was a "Leigh". Which makes us 15th cousins or so :p

Delighted to hear it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We're all sons of Mohammed here :>
    The world's first Islamist?

:innocent:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,954

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Truckles booked for 6pm Wednesday 29th. I've asked for the reservation to read 'Mr Mortimer of PB'.

Did you remember to tell them that famous local author S K Tremayne (TWO places in the German TOP TEN!) is footing the bill?
    I'm afraid famous author S K Tremayne may not even be attending due to the fact that last night he sealed the deal with an extremely hot new girlfriend, a 21 year old Anthropology student, who is keen for a rematch next week, probably Weds.

It was my own personal act of defiance against the terrorists. We drank a LOT of champagne.
    At the risk of sounding a bit 'where did it all go wrong Georgie Best', are you really that comfortable dating someone 32 years your junior? I am about ten years younger than you and don't think I could date a 21 year old, if one was interested. It would make me insecure, I'd be wondering why she wasn't dating someone in their 20s
    I've always dated younger women. One of my great loves was a girl called Sarah, she was 18 and I was 34. I just fancy them more. There it is. My last long term girlfriend was 25 and I was 50.

I do sometimes - very rarely - feel a little uncomfortable, but then I mainly think Who Bloody Cares. I've got one life. I intend to enjoy it. We're all consenting adults. If both sides are happy then that's all that matters. Same goes for gay people, polyamorists, kinksters, girls who like to pretend to be cats because it turns them on. We all have our quirks and eccentricities.

Let adults do whatever they want to do, if it makes them happy.

Besides, the Ancient Greeks though this kind of thing was positively beneficial for society, so if it's OK with Plato and Socrates it's OK with me.
    Too bad that what the ancient Greeks actually used to get up to(including probably Plato and Socrates) to would have got them long jail terms and a record as sex offenders nowadays. And that's just the Athenians. The Spartans, if anything, were worse.
    Many of our top public schools were modelled on the Spartan system. Vile food, cold showers, lots of sport in all weathers, and compulsory pederasty.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    When the IRA bombing campaign was in full spate I don't recall anyone calling for an end to the common travel area with Eire.

Just saying.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Truckles booked for 6pm Wednesday 29th. I've asked for the reservation to read 'Mr Mortimer of PB'.

Did you remember to tell them that famous local author S K Tremayne (TWO places in the German TOP TEN!) is footing the bill?
    I'm afraid famous author S K Tremayne may not even be attending due to the fact that last night he sealed the deal with an extremely hot new girlfriend, a 21 year old Anthropology student, who is keen for a rematch next week, probably Weds.

It was my own personal act of defiance against the terrorists. We drank a LOT of champagne.
    At the risk of sounding a bit 'where did it all go wrong Georgie Best', are you really that comfortable dating someone 32 years your junior? I am about ten years younger than you and don't think I could date a 21 year old, if one was interested. It would make me insecure, I'd be wondering why she wasn't dating someone in their 20s
    I've always dated younger women. One of my great loves was a girl called Sarah, she was 18 and I was 34. I just fancy them more. There it is. My last long term girlfriend was 25 and I was 50.

I do sometimes - very rarely - feel a little uncomfortable, but then I mainly think Who Bloody Cares. I've got one life. I intend to enjoy it. We're all consenting adults. If both sides are happy then that's all that matters. Same goes for gay people, polyamorists, kinksters, girls who like to pretend to be cats because it turns them on. We all have our quirks and eccentricities.

Besides, the Ancient Greeks though this kind of thing was positively beneficial for society, so if it's OK with Plato and Socrates it's OK with me.
    Too bad that what the ancient Greeks actually used to get up to(including probably Plato and Socrates) to would have got them long jail terms and a record as sex offenders nowadays. And that's just the Athenians. The Spartans, if anything, were worse.
    Many of our top public schools were modelled on the Spartan system. Vile food, cold showers, lots of sport in all weathers, and compulsory pederasty.
    They used to put bromide in the tea at my school. Sometimes I think it's wearing off.....
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

And a career at the BBC.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

At what stage does a British born become British ?

I know you're only trying to be clever, so you can call Plato a racist or something, but do you have to do it all the time?
    Not Plato. Theresa May. But seriously, how is someone British born different from being British ?
    Ok, I'll bite.
    To me the fella that did this isn't British. He might have been born here and have a British passport, but he clearly doesn't identify as British, as British people shouldn't feel the need to mow down innocent people and stab a police officer to death in the name of some crazy branch of a religion, that has been hijacked by an evil terrorist group that wants to turn the western world into part of its warped Caliphate. I dunno what you'd call him.
    The rise of the BIPO. British in passport only.

There's a lot of it about.
  • Options
    Mr. Chestnut, that acronym will stick.
  • Options
    Btw, @Pulpstar, have you noticed the scandal in my family?
  • Options
    Thread nouveau
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

One of my uncle's went to Winchester in the early forties and then joined up at eighteen , landing at Normandy with the Commandos. I said that must have been quite a shock, he said not really.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

More than likely

Is that a double-bluff?
    Were you one of the 823?
    @Charles Of course, and proud of it!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2017
    test
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited March 2017
    test
This discussion has been closed.