Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 77% of non Labour voters say Labour has the wrong leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 77% of non Labour voters say Labour has the wrong leader

Some truly damning @ComResPolls polling for Corbyn and it contains some worrying polling for Labour too. https://t.co/EMxBOwBIzr pic.twitter.com/0ZhYPPPm6Q

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Now I can see it! - First :smiley:
  • Options
    ComRes = Tory scum :lol:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Third like Cons in Stoke.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT at MarqueeMark and SeanT

Is that Boringdon Hall just up the hill from Colebrook, Plympton? If so, I worked there one summer when it was in great need of some TLC. It was being used for storage of agricultural feed and bedding. Glad it was renovated. It was for sale in 1972 for GBP 50k!!

Used to live at the bottom of the hill, on Colebrook Road.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    Only a third of Labour voters think he should be replaced? Too low for anything to happen. Only a fifth think they are too left wing? So they think the problem is Corbyn is too incompetent.
    Over half of LD voters would switch if Labour were led by someone else? So their recovery is a sham, it is borrowed voters who will abandon them whenever they dare to try to be their own thing, once Labour are credible at least.
    Labour MPs need to man up, if you'll forgive the gendered expression. Yes, the failed coup has made them shy, but if they think the party will suffer under Corbyn, even if they think replacing him now will not help their chances, be on the record and/or do something, so it is clear where you stand.

Corbyn's going nowhere, and until the Unions act its hard to see that changing. What would be their final straw?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited February 2017
    FPT:
    kle4 said:

.... The place was and is leave heavy, and there are people who pull out the quisling remarks, but there are positions inbetween permitted.

It can be hard finding them amongst all the shouting :)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,366
    edited February 2017

FPT:

kle4 said:

.... The place was and is leave heavy, and there are people who pull out the quisling remarks, but there are positions inbetween permitted.

I can be hard finding them amongst all the shouting :)

FPT

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys - 2017 Edition. Rail routes that Sunil has done for the
    first time - excludes journeys taken to reach said routes. Other routes were done for the first
    time in previous calendar years.

January: Doncaster to Hull via Selby, Chester to Warrington Bank Quay, Warrington Bank Quay to Newton-le-Willows, Bermondsey Dive-under (London Bridge to New Cross Gate), Hayes & Harlington "new" bay platform, Heathrow Airport junction new layout (slow tracks).

February: Sheffield to Lincoln, Swinton (Yorks.) to Fitzwilliam, Leeds to York (direct), Doncaster to Cleethorpes, Heathrow Airport junction new layout (fast tracks), Guide Bridge to Rose Hill, Leeds to Skipton, Deansgate to Leyland, Preston to Blackpool North, Blackpool Tramway (Fleetwood Ferry to Starr Gate), Manchester Victoria to Mirfield via Brighouse, Leeds to Sowerby Bridge via Bradford Interchange, Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge, Manchester Victoria to Southport, Wigan Wallgate to Kirkby, Chinley to Ashburys (Manchester), Preston to Ormskirk, Moorthorpe to Church Fenton (via Pontefract Baghill), West Ealing new bay platform (Greenford shuttle), Meadowhall to Leeds (via Barnsley and Castleford), Woodlesford to Normanton (direct), Kirkstall Forge to Ilkley, Guiseley to Bradford Forster Square, Frizinghall to Saltaire, Micklefield to Selby, York to Scarborough, Castleford to Knottingley, Pontefract Monkhill to Wakefield Kirkgate, Leeds to York (via Harrogate).

'Apart from failing to catch the 1224 from Doncaster to Pontefract Monkhill direct (it was massively delayed by Storm Doris on Thursday 23rd), Sunil declared his "Northern Expedition" a resounding success.'
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan - have you ever considered mapping all of your journeys?
  • Options

'Apart from failing to catch the 1224 from Doncaster to Pontefract Monkhill direct (it was massively delayed by Storm Doris on Thursday 23rd), Sunil declared his "Northern Expedition" a resounding success.'

I am glad you are enjoying it. I prefer a bit more verve....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxbyDwe1_tk
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    MTimT said:

FPT at MarqueeMark and SeanT

Is that Boringdon Hall just up the hill from Colebrook, Plympton? If so, I worked there one summer when it was in great need of some TLC. It was being used for storage of agricultural feed and bedding. Glad it was renovated. It was for sale in 1972 for GBP 50k!!

Used to live at the bottom of the hill, on Colebrook Road.

Small world!
  • Options
    Curse of the new thread: For SeanT -

Agree about Gidleigh - Herself till loves it, but I think it needs an over haul. Perhaps that is why Michael Caines left.

Borindon burnt down in 1989. It does feel that much of its authenticity was cleansed then. What you have now is a modern recreation of an Elizabethan Manor. The faux period portraits are tacky - they look like they are photocopies. But it is impressive as you drive up to it (even though the parkland surroundings are now suburban Plymouth).

And no I don't want hi tech discos. I'll grin and bear it through the jazz. (Or maybe that was just for the Murder Mystery on last night?)

They have Michelin ambitions. I hope they get it. We need them in the South West. The re-opened version of the restaurant only opened in December. The staff were a bit haphazard, and having arrived at 7.40, it is not really acceptable to receive your starter at 9.15. The Sommelier is a very nice guy but acknowledges they may not be there yet - although he is upgrading the cellar.

I'll happily go back in a couple of months and see how they are getting on. I want them to succeed.
  • Options
    Oh, and this is Michael Caines' new venture:

https://lympstonemanor.co.uk/hotel/
  • Options
    @ Marquee Mark fpt "[Boringdon] is impressive as you drive up to it (even though the parkland surroundings are now suburban Plymouth"

Actually, looking at Google maps, what strikes me is that there has been no building around Boringdon since I was a kid there in the 70s - the street maps Colebrook and Plympton St Mary's that side of Plymouth Road/Newnham Road are completely unchanged.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,916

FPT:

kle4 said:

Can you imagine what they would be like if they had lost? I think many of the them secretly fear it's going to be a disaster, it's the only explanation for such anger from the winners. There could be a lot off user name changes on PB in a year or two!
  • Options
    77% on ‘non Labour’ voters say Labour has the wrong leader.

Confirmation, if any was needed that the other parties are terrified of Corbyn’s awesomeness.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Can you imagine what they would be like if they had lost? I think many of the them secretly fear it's going to be a disaster, it's the only explanation for such anger from the winners. There could be a lot off user name changes on PB in a year or two!
    I would not be surprised if you are correct about the amount of Projection going on. We are where we are and all we can do now is sit and wait and let things take their course. Our fate is now in the hands of others.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

@ Marquee Mark fpt "[Boringdon] is impressive as you drive up to it (even though the parkland surroundings are now suburban Plymouth"

Actually, looking at Google maps, what strikes me is that there has been no building around Boringdon since I was a kid there in the 70s - the street maps Colebrook and Plympton St Mary's that side of Plymouth Road/Newnham Road are completely unchanged.

Been a bit since Elizabethan times though!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Lukewarm support for the very few Labour politicians that the public actually know vindicates a clean break candidate being selected. The only MP who I think could be instantly popular is Alan Johnson, I'm not sure if he was included in this poll.
  • Options
    RobD said:

@Sunil_Prasannan - have you ever considered mapping all of your journeys?

Um, my Baker Atlas is heavily coloured in at this stage :lol:

Routes and stations marked by year of visit ;)
  • Options
    OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Can you imagine what the REMOANERS would be like if they had lost? I think many of the them secretly fear it's going to be a disaster, it's the only explanation for such anger from the losers. There could be a lot off user name changes on PB in a year or two!
    :innocent:

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    It does make rather depressing reading for the rest of us, but really it only matters how Labour members rate Mr Corbyn.

If he's what they want; if what he represents is what they want; then the rest of us have just got to get over it. Eventually other left-leaning parties will come to prominence & take over as the official opposition.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,916

OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

I would not be surprised if you are correct about the amount of Projection going on. We are where we are and all we can do now is sit and wait and let things take their course. Our fate is now in the hands of others.
    I've been convinced for a while that much of the bluster coming from certain PB Brexiters is just a cover for their insecurity as to how it will all turn out.
  • Options

Lympstone Commando - is that a nudist colony? (Haven't done the Exmouth line yet...)
  • Options
    OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Jobabob has had enough name changes for all the rest of us put together.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Lympstone Commando - is that a nudist colony? (Haven't done the Exmouth line yet...)
    Marine base. Can't remember if it was a request stop or not.

Wiki says that while it is technically open to the public, the only exit from the station is a locked gate.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited February 2017
    Only a third of Labour voters would like to see Corbyn replaced? That tells you an awful lot about Labour voters in general if two thirds of them approve of Corbyn.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Can we have a Corbyn thread every day ?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Why not have some Ed Corbyn is cr*p posts? :D
  • Options
    OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

There were risks to staying in and risks to leaving. I will freely admit to anxiety as to how it will turn out, but I would hope, disaster or not, so long as people are not unpleasant beforehand, being wrong will not lead to too much unpleasantness in the aftermath.

Good night all.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

A request stop, and only people with business at the Camp may alight there.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Only a third of Labour voters would like to see Corbyn replaced? That tells you an awful lot about Labour voters in general if two thirds of them approve of Corbyn.

Well I suppose some proportion might not approve of him, but don't think it right that he be replaced at this moment in time, but as big a fan as I am of fence sitting and mealy mouthed positions, they are implicitly supporting him in that case and need to pick a side.
  • Options

Why not have some Ed Corbyn is cr*p posts? :D

Yes a thread and post that every day from now until he goes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

fpt for Marquee Mark on DEVON HOTELS

I think you might have been in the Wembury restaurant (which is for plebs) not the Gallery restaurant, where international thriller writers eat? My service was prompt and friendly, though the dishes varied in quality (one problem with my job is that chefs try to over-impress when they know you're a travel journo, so it gets too fussy)

Either way it's interesting how opinions differ. I think mine are reflected by the fact I stayed in Boringdon five years ago, and thought, this is a three star hotel with five star potential. It's a glorious, Grade 1 listed Elizabethan manor, on the edge of stunning Dartmoor. Yes it burned down many times but the stones are the real deal, you can feel the authentic history - parts of the substructure potentially date back to pre-Norman times, which for me is wondrous - Gidleigh Park is a 1920s Evelyn Waugh stage set in comparison. So i thought then, wow, if only someone would pump money in. There is nothing else around for miles, which could compare.

Indeed the whole hotel went bust some years ago so it is great to see this massive investment, especially in the world class spa. And Plymouth needs and DESERVES this. I reckon Plymouth is one of the most fascinating and underrated cities in Europe. I love it. Even the slums by the nuclear sub bases, they have a sublime quality. The brothels, the barbican, the brilliant gin distillery. Love it.

As for hotels across the southwest in general you're far too negative. Idle Rocks, Tresanton, Bovey, Gidleigh, Lucknam - they're all superb in their different ways.

And again, I hate to pull rank, but this is my job. I do visit a lot of great hotels, and I see great hotels in southwest England.

The refurbed Idle Rocks in St Mawes is, in particular, a masterpiece. Stunningly well done. Eating oysters on their sunny terrace with Cornish fizz. Ahhhh...

Idle Rocks is the one you recommend that I haven't tried - I'll put that on the list. Sounds damned fine.

And we thought the Gallery Restaurant was a bit well, you know, for the "look at me" types.... We were in the room on the left at the top of the stairs, where we dismantled the Terminal 5 lighting and got the candles lit to give it a bit of romantic ambience....

BTW, have you done the Gainsborough Spa in Bath? That has had some serious money spent on it. Highly recommend the restaurant there.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Actually, you dimwitted toilet duck, the reason I got a bit feisty is because you horrible Remainer scum kicked off first, with neilh saying Brexit would fail because "the English are lazy as shit"

Racist, offensive stuff like that can, you know, start a bit of argy-bargy?

So learn some fucking manners, Remainers. Just grow up, shut the fuck up, and get over your well-earned defeat. You lost, we're out, your stupid, dribbling opinions are, now, quite literally meaningless.

Manners, Timothy!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited February 2017
    AnneJGP said:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/116642/response/287570/attach/html/3/Final reply to 15 05 2012 125455 007.pdf.html

I can confirm that the railway station is not owned by the Ministry of Defence so the Department cannot limit access to it from the general public. However, anyone taking photographs from the platform should be aware that this would attract interest from the security staff at Commando Training Centre RM (CTCRM) Lympstone, particularly if photographs of the camp are taken.

I think we know what the bold bit means...!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

SeanT said:

OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Actually, you dimwitted toilet duck, the reason I got a bit feisty is because you horrible Remainer scum kicked off first, with neilh saying Brexit would fail because "the English are lazy as shit"

So learn some fucking manners, Remainers. Just grow up, shut the fuck up, and get over your well-earned defeat. You lost, we're out, your stupid, dribbling opinions are, now, quite literally meaningless.

Manners, Timothy!
    I left you some Baltic recommendations fpt
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So take it up with neilh. I am not responsible for what he says or posts.

As for manners, plastering the F-word all over your posts merely indicates that you need more than a few lessons yourself.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    kle4 said:

Jason said:

Well I suppose some proportion might not approve of him, but don't think it right that he be replaced at this moment in time, but as big a fan as I am of fence sitting and mealy mouthed positions, they are implicitly supporting him in that case and need to pick a side.
    need to remember the ones that really don't like him have mostly alredy left. They are at core vote territory now.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

The English are shit at winning the Euros at football.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Manners, Timothy!
    I left you some Baltic recommendations fpt
    Thanks. And for the others who suggested places
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    If we Leavers are 'bad winners', it's because within literally hours of the result becoming clear high-profile, rich, powerful Remainers have been trying to ignore or water down the result, and they still haven't stopped.

I don't seriously doubt that leaving the EU institutions will work out fantastically for Britain - it's Remain who should be questioning their economic predictions - the question is whether or not it's actually going to be allowed to happen.
  • Options

SeanT said:

OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Manners, Timothy!
    "Language, Timothy!", actually :)
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/116642/response/287570/attach/html/3/Final reply to 15 05 2012 125455 007.pdf.html

I can confirm that the railway station is not owned by the Ministry of Defence so the Department cannot limit access to it from the general public. However, anyone taking photographs from the platform should be aware that this would attract interest from the security staff at Commando Training Centre RM (CTCRM) Lympstone, particularly if photographs of the camp are taken.

I think we know what the bold bit means...!
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~owend/I/R/stnpages/lympstonecommando.html
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Just been watching White Helmets on Netflix, nominated for Oscar as Documentary Short. 6/4 ish.

I thought it was brilliantly done and very moving. It is about Civil Defence workers in Aleppo under siege. I haven't seen the others, but well worth an Oscar.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    OllyT said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

No
  • Options

SeanT said:

As for manners, plastering the F-word all over your posts merely indicates that you need more than a few lessons yourself.
    I wouldn't use the same language. But I wouldn't be surprised at people assigning unpatriotic labels to you if you express your contempt for the UK in having made its Brexit decision, then change your profile picture to that of a flag of a foreign state, and make clear your desire to secure a foreign passport and leave the UK as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Whilst a third of Labour voters think Corbyn should be replaced, I suspect he has stronger support than Khan, Benn or Blair - or anyone else. There is no alternative.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    @SeanT:

Have you ever been involved with anyone from Saatchi and Saatchi?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,112
    rcs1000 said:

@SeanT:

Does going down the Margaret River with Nigella Lawson count?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I think you might have been in the Wembury restaurant (which is for plebs) not the Gallery restaurant, where international thriller writers eat? My service was prompt and friendly, though the dishes varied in quality (one problem with my job is that chefs try to over-impress when they know you're a travel journo, so it gets too fussy)

As for hotels across the southwest in general you're far too negative. Idle Rocks, Tresanton, Bovey, Gidleigh, Lucknam - they're all superb in their different ways.

And again, I hate to pull rank, but this is my job. I do visit a lot of great hotels, and I see great hotels in southwest England.

The refurbed Idle Rocks in St Mawes is, in particular, a masterpiece. Stunningly well done. Eating oysters on their sunny terrace with Cornish fizz. Ahhhh...

Idle Rocks is the one you recommend that I haven't tried - I'll put that on the list. Sounds damned fine.

And we thought the Gallery Restaurant was a bit well, you know, for the "look at me" types.... We were in the room on the left at the top of the stairs, where we dismantled the Terminal 5 lighting and got the candles lit to give it a bit of romantic ambience....

BTW, have you done the Gainsborough Spa in Bath? That has had some serious money spent on it. Highly recommend the restaurant there.
    Idle Rocks is great. I confess I have been very lucky, weatherwise, every time I've stayed there (sunshine in St Mawes turns it into paradise).

It is also very pricey. And in danger of being colonised by the super wealthy and ultra-posh. Which is a shame as the squillionaire new owner is a dude: a self made man, a comprehensive schooled Welsh kid, turned pilot and car company mogul. I had lunch with him and his wife at the hotel (she designed it all), he's fascinating, as so many self made people can be (they've seen it all).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Richards_(motorsport)

It's a notch above the Tresanton (and has a much better location in one of the prettiest seaside settlements in Europe).

If you go, I hope the weather blesses you, then have two dozen Helford oysters and buckets of fizz on the terrace, you will never feel happier.

I shall investigate the Gainsborough! I love new hotels and restaurants.

Dave Richards used to live in our small village but moved out towards Banbury when he got his second helicopter.

He started out as a navigator in motor rallying and was employed by Rothmans in Aylesbury to help with their advertising and promotion through motorsport sponsorship.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Over 100 homicides in Chicago so far this year. There were seven in one day a few days ago.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    Good news from Congo;

"Bantus, Pygmies sign peace deal"

http://www.newvision.co.ug/new_vision/news/1447106/bantus-pygmies-sign-peace-deal-dr-congo#sthash.W1vL8Sik.dpuf

I think we can all agree the caterpillar tax was a little unfair.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265

rcs1000 said:

@SeanT:

Does going down on Nigella Lawson and Margaret River count?
    Corrected your grammar..

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-no-2-party-faces-wipeout-b3zj6rrr7

Jeremy Corbyn’s deputy has warned that Labour risks the same wipeout in England as it suffered in Scotland unless the leader takes a “long, hard look” at the way he has alienated the party’s traditional supporters.

Tom Watson said it should have been “easy” to hold Copeland — the seat lost to the Tories last week — and warned that Corbyn had put “distance” between Labour and its core voters.

Sounds familiar...

https://twitter.com/ianhawking1/status/835588140358336512
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    @Scott_P - so even back then Labour were more concerned with the plight of people abroad rather than the people who's votes they were trying to win.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Either way it's interesting how opinions differ. I think mine are reflected by the fact I stayed in Boringdon five years ago, and thought, this is a three star hotel with five star potential. It's a glorious, Grade 1 listed Elizabethan manor, on the edge of stunning Dartmoor. Yes it burned down many times but the stones are the real deal, you can feel the authentic history - parts of the substructure potentially date back to pre-Norman times, which for me is wondrous - Gidleigh Park is a 1920s Evelyn Waugh stage set in comparison. So i thought then, wow, if only someone would pump money in. There is nothing else around for miles, which could compare.

Indeed the whole hotel went bust some years ago so it is great to see this massive investment, especially in the world class spa. And Plymouth needs and DESERVES this. I reckon Plymouth is one of the most fascinating and underrated cities in Europe. I love it. Even the slums by the nuclear sub bases, they have a sublime quality. The brothels, the barbican, the brilliant gin distillery. Love it.

Got married at St Just with the reception in Tresanton. But then William was the one who persuaded me to write my book and put me in contact with his agent, Graham Greene. So where else could we have stayed? Wonderful.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,872

SeanT said:

I wouldn't use the same language. But I wouldn't be surprised at people assigning unpatriotic labels to you if you express your contempt for the UK in having made its Brexit decision, then change your profile picture to that of a flag of a foreign state, and make clear your desire to secure a foreign passport and leave the UK as soon as possible.
    One of the more interesting aspects of the post-Brext fallout has been the revival of arguments that haven't been made for well over a hundred years, about the stupidity of the lower classes, and how they can't be trusted to make important political decisions.
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    SeanT said:

Times have obviously changed. When I was at BRNC in Dartmouth (admittely a few decades ago) the principal attraction in Plymouth was reputedly the world's only prostitute with Down's Syndrome. I'll spare the more sensitive types the nickname...

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Over 100 homicides in Chicago so far this year. There were seven in one day a few days ago.

I blame GOP controlled house for over 6 years......
This discussion has been closed.