Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mega By-Election Week : Day One (February 21st 2017)

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mega By-Election Week : Day One (February 21st 2017)

This week will see six by-elections but not all on the same day. There is a by-election tonight, three tomorrow night and on Thursday two Parliamentary by-elections that may break a duck that has lasted anything from 35 years to 57 years and create a vacancy at the head of the Opposition. But first, as they say in all the great stage plays, we have the opening curtain

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    edited February 2017
    My second first of the evening!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Darned 'Discussion ID required'
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Glorious third!

Are we expecting a vote in the Lords tonight?
  • Options
    Fourth like labour in stoke
  • Options
    RobD said:

Glorious third!

Yes, second reading. The estimated time for the house to rise on the order paper is midnight but I don't know how well they've got through the speakers list.
  • Options
    Winklebury on Basingstoke and Deane - is that legal...?
  • Options

RobD said:

Glorious third!

Yes, second reading. The estimated time for the house to rise on the order paper is midnight but I don't know how well they've got through the speakers list.
    I've just checked: seven still to speak so maybe in an hour?
  • Options

RobD said:

Glorious third!

If the bill doesn't pass second reading I assume that is it?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    FPT;

@danielmawbs

Good spot. That is a decent value bet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Glorious third!

If the bill doesn't pass second reading I assume that is it?
    Yes, they'd need to take a different bill through the Commons or wait a year and Parliament Act it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Storm Doris could blow away Labour byelection hopes, MPs fear

As Met Office forecasts winds of up to 80mph, party sources voice concern about voter turnout in Copeland and Stoke"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/21/storm-doris-could-blow-away-labour-byelection-hopes-mps-fear-copeland-stoke
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

As Met Office forecasts winds of up to 80mph, party sources voice concern about voter turnout in Copeland and Stoke"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/21/storm-doris-could-blow-away-labour-byelection-hopes-mps-fear-copeland-stoke

80mph gales? Na, that's just Corbynism sweeping the nation :smiley:

Oh, my coat?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Winklebury? A great start to by-election week.
  • Options
    Damn! Thought it was TSE's Adult Video thread!
  • Options
    Just remembered it isn't actually a Thursday? Elections on a Tuesday, what kind of heresy is this??
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    For anyone betting on turnout the forecast for Thursday is pretty dire. Gales in Stoke (might not make much difference in an urban area) but gales and heavy rain with hill snow in Cumbria. Might just favour any party that has managed to get out the postal vote.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just remembered it isn't actually a Thursday? Elections on a Tuesday, what kind of heresy is this??

Thank they had one on Monday last year. *shudder*
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

The thread header says there is one tomorrow too! What has the world come to.
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT;

@danielmawbs

Good spot. That is a decent value bet.

Thanks, I hope it comes in

• Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Three tomorrow!!!

:open_mouth:
  • Options
    By elections on Tuesdays and Wednesday are as unnatural as pineapples on pizza.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    edited February 2017
    AndyJS said:

What absolute tosh, it'll make no odds in Copeland - and probably helps them in Stoke.

Just who are these "Labour party sauces" ?

According to "sources" Labour are going to finish 4th in Copeland, lose Stoke to the Tories. Now this Doris hooey :p
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

By elections on Tuesdays and Wednesday are as unnatural as pineapples on pizza.

I had a Peking duck and Hoisin sauce pizza in Cambridge once. It didn't really work.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

For anyone betting on turnout the forecast for Thursday is pretty dire. Gales in Stoke (might not make much difference in an urban area) but gales and heavy rain with hill snow in Cumbria. Might just favour any party that has managed to get out the postal vote.

Thanks, I've just amended my book one for for turnout and am offering 3-1 for 27-30%
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

What absolute tosh, it'll make no odds in Copeland - and probably helps them in Stoke.
    But it gives them another excuse for losing that isn't Jezza.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Is a Tuesday night by-election just political attention-seeking? A bit like walking around town in a skirt you barely fitted in a decade ago, just to get noticed? Sad!
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Three tomorrow!!!

:open_mouth:
    Pass the sick bag.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

But it gives them another excuse for losing that isn't Jezza.
    Theres probably plenty of pro, but especially anti-Jezza 'sources'. Different ones talking to different papers. All very confusing :)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    So how long until Plato explains to us that Milo's resignation is all part of Trump's cunning plan to manipulate the media?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'll give Labour one thing, this is an absolute masterclass in expectations management. It's all being set up to make losing Copeland look like a relatively light wound.

And two holds.
    Well that would be christmas day come early for them.
  • Options
    Well what was the bloody point in wanting to leave?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/834166542719995909
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,136
    Are by-elections now being run by the FA, over three consecutive nights to maximise TV rights?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

According to "sources" Labour are going to finish 4th in Copeland, lose Stoke to the Tories. Now this Doris hooey :p
    The storm in Copeland is going to be damaging and weather warnings are already in place. It may well come down to who has got their postal vote out.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Is that that it will stay open to ALL eu migrants (as now), or just that it will be open to SOME eu migrants?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll give Labour one thing, this is an absolute masterclass in expectations management. It's all being set up to make losing Copeland look like a relatively light wound.

And two holds.
    Well that would be christmas day come early for them.

Indeed, one thing Corbyn's team has done very well is set the bar very low, and his internal opponents get a little overexcited, and so if crushing disaster does not follow, why that is almost like a glorious victory isn't it?
  • Options
    @ThescreamingEagles We had a referendum. "Remain" lost.

What Davis' comment DOES bring into question however is why on earth we're leaving the single market in these circumstances.

All the immigration and twice the tariffs.
  • Options
    Are we sure David Cameron has actually left Downing Street?

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/0107d7bb587532d9df91998238f9bc59ea87802d/0_551_1428_857/master/1428.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=f24a1b1c10fc91e14277dc660ff0b1f7

Theresa May's spin doctor looks suspiciously like him in a wig....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Is that that it will stay open to ALL eu migrants (as now), or just that it will be open to SOME eu migrants?
    The point is to take back control of our borders and laws
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

The storm in Copeland is going to be damaging and weather warnings are already in place. It may well come down to who has got their postal vote out.
    Both Labour and the Conservatives I'm guessing have a decent enough postal machine. The one party we pretty much know doesn't is UKIP - hence the helping Labour in Stoke bit.
  • Options
    I think the most interesting story might be the LDs.

Why aren't we talking about them challenging Labour in the north? When did they resign that?
  • Options

Why aren't we talking about them challenging Labour in the north? When did they resign that?

2010?
  • Options

Big push on in Stoke btw - it won't be for lack of effort there.

Copeland is lower priority.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

And by the way I fully expect immigration to be similar post Brexit but we will be in charge of who and how many arrive
  • Options

Even as a bleeding-heart liberal, I don't buy this "the country will collapse without immigrants" rubbish.

If these big businesses are complaining that British workers don't have the skills to fill their jobs, then the answer could be.....for those businesses to train and skill those British workers themselves?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Danny565 said:

And by the way I fully expect immigration to be similar post Brexit but we will be in charge of who and how many arrive
    Most Leave voters thought they were voting for a significant cut in numbers of immigrants, IMO.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Big push on in Stoke btw - it won't be for lack of effort there.

Copeland is lower priority.
    84/1 at the moment...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Danny565 said:

Are we sure David Cameron has actually left Downing Street?

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/0107d7bb587532d9df91998238f9bc59ea87802d/0_551_1428_857/master/1428.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=f24a1b1c10fc91e14277dc660ff0b1f7

Theresa May's spin doctor looks suspiciously like him in a wig....

To be fair I've done worse.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Danny565 said:

Even as a bleeding-heart liberal, I don't buy this "the country will collapse without immigrants" rubbish.

If these big businesses are complaining that British workers don't have the skills to fill their jobs, then the answer could be.....for those businesses to train and skill those British workers themselves?
    And how do you think those businesses should make unwilling British workers apply? The immigrants are filling jobs that we cannot get our fellow workers do. That is why the jobs are vacant.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I don't mind immigration, but its like the bloody leaves on the line when it comes to infrastructure/housing. Basically a new Coventry, Hull or Leicester needs to be built every year - yet it never ever happens.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Danny565 said:

Defo with you on that, I think at a time of very low unemployment though not having a pool of ready and willing workers makes economic expansion difficult.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

And how do you think those businesses should make unwilling British workers apply? The immigrants are filling jobs that we cannot get our fellow workers do. That is why the jobs are vacant.
    Pay them more?
  • Options
    Evan Davis on Newsnight trying to knit together liberal-Remainer Labour and LibDems and Tories into a new party.

Getting nowhere!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I don't mind immigration, but its like the bloody leaves on the line when it comes to infrastructure/housing. Basically a new Coventry, Hull or Leicester needs to be built every year - yet it never ever happens.
    Well, if it never happens then presumably all these statements that it "needs to happen" must have been wrong for all these years. It is like the NHS. According to Labour, the evil, baby-eating tories have been on the verge of privatising it for half a century yet in spite of all the years of tory govt the NHS is still here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Pay them more?
    That might work. Of course it will put prices up, but no one will mind as long as the carrots were picked by Bob and Harry and not Tomasz and Andrej

:rolls eyes:

• Options
    edited February 2017

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Well, if it never happens then presumably all these statements that it "needs to happen" must be wrong. It is like the NHS. According to Labour, the evil, baby-eating tories have been on the verge of privatising it for half a century yet in spite of all the years of tory govt the NHS is still here.
    No, the infrastructure needs to be built or the nation as a whole just spends more time in jams, less housing per family, lower QoL. Its not like money that you can 'solve' with QE.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Most Leave voters thought they were voting for a significant cut in numbers of immigrants, IMO.
    I voted remain
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Pay them more?
    An excellent idea for all us British doctors and nurses competing with foreign workers!

Brexit and market forces, doncha just love it?
  • Options

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Pay them more?
    That might work. Of course it will put prices up, but no one will mind as long as the carrots were picked by Bob and Harry and not Tomasz and Andrej

An increase in prices of 10% for most fresh foods would be enough to allow more capital investment, which is what exploiting a foreign workforce has not achieved so far.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,515

Danny565 said:

They could try bribing them with money. Wages, I think they call it.

The reason that many low end jobs go to migrants is the way the benefits system discourages work. Get a hard, not pleasant job - congratulations, you will be pennies better off. Marginal effective tax rates of 90% etc....
  • Options

Evan Davis on Newsnight trying to knit together liberal-Remainer Labour and LibDems and Tories into a new party.

Getting nowhere!

Ken Clarke retires at the next election
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Cheap labour in other words?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Why does a new one need to be built every year?

Why can't a hundred houses be built in a thousand suburbs each year rather than a new city each year?
  • Options

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Pay them more?

An increase in prices of 10% for most fresh foods would be enough to allow more capital investment, which is what exploiting a foreign workforce has not achieved so far.
    The cost of the raw materials is a surprisingly small part of even *unprepared* food. The cost of carrots is not the major part of the cost of a *bag of carrots* in the supermarket.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited February 2017

Danny565 said:

There is a factor in this of "we cannot get our fellow workers to do, at the wage levels that immigrants will accept".

Of course, some businesses may simply be unviable if they paid the wages they would need to recruit British workers, but you do have to wonder. I had a lot of Polish friends who came over post-accession, working minimum wage jobs - when I visited them, they were living in conditions that I would never have been prepared to take on (sleeping several to a room, doing all their non-food shopping at charity shops etc) and yet they felt better off than they were in Poland.

Did it really make economic sense for a university lecturer with a PhD in biochemistry, or an educator with a Masters from the most prestigious degree in Poland, to be slaving away long hours in rural England in crappy minimum wage work where they were frequently violently assaulted? (Not by racists I hasten to add, but because they were working as carers for people with various mental health issues.) Or their friends who had come over to work stacking warehouse shelves, or in the food factories, or in the naff end of retail?

Didn't seem a very efficient deployment of human capital. Would those shelves have gone unstacked if business owners had been prepared to pay the kind of wage that doesn't leave you, in your mid-30s, renting a run-down house where you're crammed several people to a bedroom? Or if they'd invested in some technology to improve the productivity?

I appreciate I'm making a different point to the training issue. But the general public seem to have less of an issue with people coming over who possess valuable skill-sets, and are here to use them, than with the low-wage migration.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I voted for a significant cut in Brussels influence over us.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Why can't a hundred houses be built in a thousand suburbs each year rather than a new city each year?
    That is what I meant, sorry for not expressing myself that clearly. My point is that simply doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

That is what I meant, sorry for not expressing myself that clearly. My point is that simply doesn't happen.
    It's not you, it is a common way for it to be expressed and is a bugbear of mine. Getting a few homes built in lots of locations should not be that difficult and is less noticeable but more successful than great honking new cities.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Well, if it never happens then presumably all these statements that it "needs to happen" must be wrong. It is like the NHS. According to Labour, the evil, baby-eating tories have been on the verge of privatising it for half a century yet in spite of all the years of tory govt the NHS is still here.
    No, the infrastructure needs to be built or the nation as a whole just spends more time in jams, less housing per family. Its not like money that you can 'solve' with QE.
    I do not really disagree. It is just that I am getting rather tired of every political issue seemingly having only two levels of discussion- "mega-urgent" or "verge of disaster".

We do not need new housing for immigrants - we just need new housing and we have needed it for decades. That is why housing here is expensive, short supply drives up price. But we do, of course, build new housing in the cheapest way by bunging it in to any available space so the developers do not need to lay new, expensive sewers, services and roads. New estates just open up on to existing roads and services and cause all sorts of problems for people other than the developers.

There needs to be a rational conversation that is not "mega-urgent" or filled with superlatives. I am not sure that it has happened that way for a very long time. So we rush from mess to mess making it worse as we go....
  • Options

Danny565 said:

The reason that many low end jobs go to migrants is the way the benefits system discourages work. Get a hard, not pleasant job - congratulations, you will be pennies better off. Marginal effective tax rates of 90% etc....
    Saw a brilliant but deeply depressing chart on this in a report a while back. Was it the IFS?

The marginal tax rates (okay, counting benefit withdrawal as a tax, but incentives matter, as economics say) of 70-90% and above weren't even just a weird anomaly that happened in a limited part of the income spectrum. They were pretty pernicious, from what I remember.

Yet another argument for universal basic income / negative income tax / structuring the Universal Credit properly...
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    FPT.
    Scott_P said: '@chrisshipitv: Labour source says the party now fears losing Stoke by-election to Conservatives more than it does losing to UKIP.'

This kind of warning/expectation management has become the norm for Labour in recent by-elections when they are defending safe seats. But it can't do Labour any harm to push the threat of a Tory rather than UKIP gain as part of their GOTV operation, especially if voter apathy is the biggest concern they face defending the seat?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Catching up on Newsnight now.... christ, this Macron stuff is the most prematurely-hyped thing since Rubio's multiple "surges".
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    FPT.
    @Charles - "That sounds very like a movie plot from a couple of years ago (not Gone Girl but the trailers were at a similar time). I think the twist was that the psychiatrist to whom she was talking was actually here husband who has attempted to murder her.

You might want to check (I think there is a way of doing these things)"

I haven't seen it, but I think the movie you are alluding to is 'Before I go to Sleep' starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Of course, some businesses may simply be unviable if they paid the wages they would need to recruit British workers, but you do have to wonder. I had a lot of Polish friends who came over post-accession, working minimum wage jobs - when I visited them, they were living in conditions that I would never have been prepared to take on (sleeping several to a room, doing all their non-food shopping at charity shops etc) and yet they felt better off than they were in Poland.

Did it really make economic sense for a university lecturer with a PhD in biochemistry, or an educator with a Masters from the most prestigious degree in Poland, to be slaving away long hours in rural England in crappy minimum wage work where they were frequently violently assaulted? (Not by racists I hasten to add, but because they were working as carers for people with various mental health issues.) Or their friends who had come over to work stacking warehouse shelves, or in the food factories, or in the naff end of retail?

Didn't seem a very efficient deployment of human capital. Would those shelves have gone unstacked if business owners had been prepared to pay the kind of wage that doesn't leave you, in your mid-30s, renting a run-down house where you're crammed several people to a bedroom? Or if they'd invested in some technology to improve the productivity?

I appreciate I'm making a different point to the training issue. But the general public seem to have less of an issue with people coming over who possess valuable skill-sets, and are here to use them, than with the low-wage migration.

I agree that the immigrants are working in less than ideal positions but, like you say, their conditions were even worse in Poland. Even if it is a step up for them it is seen as a step down for a British worker so if you choke off the immigrants then what do we do?

Food in the UK has never been so cheap but try putting it up and see the reaction. The truth is that if we want to continue living like this then we need immigrants. It is not just food, the care sector is another place that nobody except immigrants seems to want to work in, so either we start looking after our own elderly relatives, pay lots more for care, or.... we keep letting immigrants come in.

Cutting immigration is going to hurt. A lot.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

The housing debt is maybe half a million homes, but the deficit is not that bad. But like government borrowing, the problem is that we haven't run a surplus - even in the good times - since the seventies.
  • Options
    I will not be crying any tears for Milo.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    A thought about the storm in Copeland. Will it help Labour as it will be easier to get to the polls in Whitehaven than more remote Tory areas? Also, might it focus minds on the difficulty of travelling in such weather, I.e. to Carlisle in a medical emergency. Not saying it will, but might make a marginal difference.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Saw a brilliant but deeply depressing chart on this in a report a while back. Was it the IFS?

The marginal tax rates (okay, counting benefit withdrawal as a tax, but incentives matter, as economics say) of 70-90% and above weren't even just a weird anomaly that happened in a limited part of the income spectrum. They were pretty pernicious, from what I remember.

Yet another argument for universal basic income / negative income tax / structuring the Universal Credit properly...
    We pay people benefits. Then we make sure that they are worse off if they get a job - benefit withdrawal, travel costs etc get you to more that 100% extra income loss nice and quickly...

Then people wonder why there are long term unemployed.

Then the benefit system gives more money to parents who separate, rather than live together. Then people comission documentaries on why there are so many single parents among the benefit class.
  • Options
    Second reading passed without a vote.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Passed second reading without a vote.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A thought about the storm in Copeland. Will it help Labour as it will be easier to get to the polls in Whitehaven than more remote Tory areas? Also, might it focus minds on the difficulty of travelling in such weather, I.e. to Carlisle in a medical emergency. Not saying it will, but might make a marginal difference.

I thought that the accepted "wisdom" was that Labour voters were put off by bad weather more than Tory voters, and the young more than the older?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

No, the infrastructure needs to be built or the nation as a whole just spends more time in jams, less housing per family. Its not like money that you can 'solve' with QE.
    I do not really disagree. It is just that I am getting rather tired of every political issue seemingly having only two levels of discussion- "mega-urgent" or "verge of disaster".

We do not need new housing for immigrants - we just need new housing and we have needed it for decades. That is why housing here is expensive, short supply drives up price. But we do, of course, build new housing in the cheapest way by bunging it in to any available space so the developers do not need to lay new, expensive sewers, services and roads. New estates just open up on to existing roads and services and cause all sorts of problems for people other than the developers.

There needs to be a rational conversation that is not "mega-urgent" or filled with superlatives. I am not sure that it has happened that way for a very long time. So we rush from mess to mess making it worse as we go....
    I got an email invite not long ago to a conferece on "planning for super-density ". So that is were London is at, super-density, whatever that is. It may be fine, it may even be plannable, but when were we given the choice to consider it ? Plan a involves this and that cost and benefit, and planning B some others which include super-density ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,109
    Danny565 said:

Catching up on Newsnight now.... christ, this Macron stuff is the most prematurely-hyped thing since Rubio's multiple "surges".

Unlike Rubio, if Macron comes third, no-one will be hyping him any more.
  • Options

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Pay them more?

Advocatus diaboli here. Arguably, crop-picking work is precisely the kind of work that should be outsourced to seaonal (i.e. very short-term - just a few months) migrant labour from horrifically poor countries. Even while we are in the EU, we have special visas for that kind of thing. It isn't something there are long-term career paths in, the demand for labour can vary hugely from year to year, and it would be wrong to say that this would deprive Brits of solid, dependable, high-quality work opportunities.

Having said that, I've talked to folk in e.g. Wisbech (70% leave!) who would in the past have seen the crop work as a welcome summer top-up, and felt it had become essentially impossible once the Poles/Lithuanians/Ukrainians/Romanians (and to some extent Turks and Portuguese before) had taken it over. Agencies who arranged the work would recruit in Polish, for instance - the whole affair felt alien to the Brits who would at one point have been involved.

But I don't think sitting around and waiting til summer to see if (depending on the harvest!) you're going to get some work this year, is a happy or productive use of life. Like many other jobs that have gone the way of the dodo, this one is a bit rubbish really.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I thought that the accepted "wisdom" was that Labour voters were put off by bad weather more than Tory voters, and the young more than the older?
    I think that notion goes back to the post-war era when the toffs had cars, the working men had boots.
  • Options

He will soon disappear into the obscurity which he deserves, probably in a prison cell.

His malign work is done. Maybe he will get a Presidential pardon.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

I got an email invite not long ago to a conferece on "planning for super-density ". So that is were London is at, super-density, whatever that is. It may be fine, it may even be plannable, but when were we given the choice to consider it ? Plan a involves this and that cost and benefit, and planning B some others which include super-density ?

I always feel that London is an exception. Few other British cities have its transport infrastructure. Maybe if all cities had trams/metros and rail/bus/metro/expressway links direct to airports and ports then it would be different.
  • Options

He will soon disappear into the obscurity which he deserves, probably in a prison cell.

:)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

You really are a twisted, nasty piece of work, aren't you.
  • Options
    O/T France Three-way tie on betfair

I mentioned yesterday that the three main candidates scores were converging on Betfair and that the trend would continue if a poll finally showed Fillon ahead of Macron.

And then we had on with Elabe's poll yesterday:
    - with Bayrou: Le Pen 27(+2) Fillon 20 (+3) Macron 17 (-5) Mélenchon 12(=) Hamon 12(-3) Bayrou 6, others 6
    - without Bayrou: Le Pen 28 (+2) Fillon 21 (+3) Macron 18.5 (-5) Mélenchon 13 (=) Hamon 13 (-2) Others 6.5

The two daily Rolling polls (Ifop and Opinion way) have Macron and Fillon tied (both at 21 for Opinonway, 19 for Ifop)

The impact on Betfair was clear with fillon going from 3rd to 1st at 3.05, Macron easing at 3.35 and and Le Pen at 3.5.

It seems pretty accurate as none of the favorites is clearly leading
    - Fillon has a solid base but is still quite far below Le Pen. His first job (close the gap with Macron) is done but now he has to create a gap of his own (only Elabe has him 3 points ahead) to change the narrative. Fueled by media adoration for Macron, the polls still show that people think of Macron as the most likely winner, even as he is losing ground.

- Macron would be weakened if Bayrou enters the race (he should make an announcement on Wednesday) and is now on a downward trend. He has to stop it quickly and for that he has to start talking about his precise views on all subjects and stop the televangelist fudge (in his Toulon meeting lastweek he informed his fans that "I understand you and I love you all"). The problem is that he will have to make choices and thus energize some supporters but disappoint others. he is currently the only candidate refusing tv debates and I think that it's a mistake.

- Le Pen is still on course for a very high first round result, and her second round numbers are trending up. She is nevertheless at least 12 points behind and has still a mountain to climb to win. The difficulty for her is to continue to energize her supporters with the growing prospect of victory, while avoiding to boost the turnout of opponents.
    The debates could seal the deal but she could also be challenged by strong debaters such as Mélenchon or Fillon.
    One major problem for her is that she cannot attack Fillon on his parliamentary expenses issues because she has the exact same problem (and the judicial process is actually much clearer and further advanced - a thing that inexplicably the Fillon-hating press in France does not point out...)
  • Options
    An interesting article on Brexit and the City.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/21/losing-banking-jobs-to-eu-threatens-financial-stability-across-europe

Note this bit:

[Sir Howard Davies, the chairman of Royal Bank of Scotland and a former deputy governor of the Bank of England] , who spends part of his time as a professor at the Sciences Po university in Paris, said: “There clearly is a risk of a disorderly Brexit if it becomes politically very unpleasant. I’m slightly anxious about the fact that what I hear when I go over to the other side of the Channel is all they are focusing on is the size of the [settlement] bill and that seems to me not particularly well understood in the debate here."

That's exactly the same point which I made here earlier today.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/21/losing-banking-jobs-to-eu-threatens-financial-stability-across-europe

Note this bit:

[Sir Howard Davies, the chairman of Royal Bank of Scotland and a former deputy governor of the Bank of England] , who spends part of his time as a professor at the Sciences Po university in Paris, said: “There clearly is a risk of a disorderly Brexit if it becomes politically very unpleasant. I’m slightly anxious about the fact that what I hear when I go over to the other side of the Channel is all they are focusing on is the size of the [settlement] bill and that seems to me not particularly well understood in the debate here."

Haven't we built up substantial assets in the EU?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Yes, but surely that is already factored in to calculations. The snow (?) could throw in an extra curveball (especially if roads are blocked as they often are in the Lakes). As I said, just a thought to consider.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

You really are a twisted, nasty piece of work, aren't you.
    I think you have him confused with Milo...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,109

O/T France

He has to stop it quickly and for that he has to start talking about his precise views on all subjects and stop the televangelist fudge (in his Toulon meeting lastweek he informed his fans that "I understand you and I love you all").

Sounding like Trump. "On va gagner, grandement."
  • Options

Note this bit:

I got that impression a couple of weeks back when the sources in the EU first started throwing the figure of 60B around.
  • Options

Fat_Steve said:

I always feel that London is an exception. Few other British cities have its transport infrastructure. Maybe if all cities had trams/metros and rail/bus/metro/expressway links direct to airports and ports then it would be different.
    And none have publicly-run bus companies!
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I got that impression a couple of weeks back when the sources in the EU first started throwing the figure of 60B around.

It has been coming for a long time. I recall someone mentioning it way before Xmas. If anything will derail Brexit it will be money and the arguments over money.

• Options
    RobD said:

Passed second reading without a vote.

Conclusion: with the Labour leader in the Lords saying there won't be extended ping pong, this makes it virtually impossible for the bill not to receive Royal Assent within a month at the most, probably a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Fat_Steve said:

And none have publicly-run bus companies!
    Nor do they have anything approaching the Oyster card system, although when I was last down in London my contactless debit card was sufficient for travelling around the underground. It worked very well.

They are trialling something like the Oyster on Manchester's Metro.
This discussion has been closed.