Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest YouGov sees LAB in third place, 3% behind UKIP, amongst

Comments

• Options
    MonikerDiCanio

"The relentless logic will be for Eire to exit the EU."

Or Fog in the Channel - Continent cut off!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

All these arguments about the "right" levels of immigration into the UK, are like arguments about the "best" use and disposal of horse manure in London streets, in about 1890

So you are comparing people to faeces now?

Drink some coffee and dry out man.
    Oh grow up. The comparison was metaphorical. Not literal. Horses were considered a big issue in London in the 1890s. We needed room for stables, liveries, mews, there was the problem of manure, where to put all the ancillary industries - tanneries, farriers, etc.

Then came the internal combustion engine, and within two decades horses, and all the positives and negatives of their presence, were rendered entirely and laughably irrelevant.

We are arguing about immigration like it is something we must have or die. It would have felt the same vis-a-vis horse-drawn traffic in the late Victorian era.

But the truth is we are facing a period of rapid automation and robotisation where the problem is going to be too MANY people and workers, and not enough jobs.

Take, for instance (if your tiny brain can bear the weight of the concept) the future of drivers. How many pro drivers work in and around London? 50,000? 200,000? More? In ten years time likely ALL those jobs will be gone.

If this was your meaning, then I apologise.
    Apology accepted. I also see how my post could have been read, I guess, as some nasty bigoted remark - but it really wasn't. So I am at fault for infelicitous phrasing. Like I said: jetlag.

I need more coffee and I need to get off PB. Later.
    Thanks Sean.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

All these arguments about the "right" levels of immigration into the UK, are like arguments about the "best" use and disposal of horse manure in London streets, in about 1890

Oh grow up. The comparison was metaphorical. Not literal. Horses were considered a big issue in London in the 1890s. We needed room for stables, liveries, mews, there was the problem of manure, where to put all the ancillary industries - tanneries, farriers, etc.

Then came the internal combustion engine, and within two decades horses, and all the positives and negatives of their presence, were rendered entirely and laughably irrelevant.

We are arguing about immigration like it is something we must have or die. It would have felt the same vis-a-vis horse-drawn traffic in the late Victorian era.

But the truth is we are facing a period of rapid automation and robotisation where the problem is going to be too MANY people and workers, and not enough jobs.

Take, for instance (if your tiny brain can bear the weight of the concept) the future of drivers. How many pro drivers work in and around London? 50,000? 200,000? More? In ten years time likely ALL those jobs will be gone.

Not all but many. People like personal service. There's no need for serving staff at the god knows how many coffee shops - they could all be automated - but do people want to get a coffee, even a very good one, from a machine?

At the bottom end of the market, however, it'll revolutionise things. There aren't any tea ladies any more.
    I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there are now more horses in the UK than there were at the end of the nineteenth century, it's just that almost all of them are used recreationaly.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Pulpstar said:

If iScotland wishes to enter the EU, then they will have to adopt the Euro.

The fiscal rules will be tight, but I think John Swinney will perhaps be able to cook up a deal with either Ruth Davidson or Wee Willie Winkie to get economically prudent budgets through Holyrood.
    I expect the current cosy relationship between the SNP and the Greens will sour rapidly if iScotland was ever heading into the EU with the necessary fiscal responsibility to meet deficit rules...

Covered all the relevant parties in Scotland there I think.

SLablessly bitchy!
    FPT - great to find another Lionel Davidson fan on PB, and hopefully create some new ones.

Other thriller writers are of course available.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2017

Jobabob said:

A Scottish pound pegged to Sterling.

Which is what they currently have. We exist in a currency union - the English Pound, the Scottish pound, the NI pound, the Manx pound and the pounds of the Bailiwicks.
    No there's only one pound sterling - as backed by the Bank of England.

The Scots banks are entitled to print their own Mickey Mouse money by having enough real money to back it up
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

"It is quite remarkable that LAB, the party that for generations has been seen as the mouthpiece of the working classes, now finds itself in third place amongst that group."

It's been many many years since the Labour Party was the mouthpiece of the working classes. For too many years, Labour has told the working classes to STFU because what came out of their mouths was racist, Islamaphobic bile. They have been told what they were supposed to think, how they were to meekly progress towards being progressives.

And all the while Labour was opening the borders, to "rub the Right's noses in diversity". Turns out they were rubbing their voters' noses in it. Tragically comic.

Yup. And Democrats still haven't woken up. I hope they pick Warren or Ellison as Chair.

They can continue to wail about boys prevented from using girls toilets. Nothing makes me think the Left has lost their marbles more than this. Most think it's just creepy.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

A universal basic income and retraining funded by a tax on robots is the inevitable result of automation
    Promptly followed by all those robots (and their factories) moving offshore into a regime that doesn't charge the Robot Tax.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Salmond decided the franchise in 2014 as Sturgeon will for 2018. It will be the same 16-17 year olds in and European Citizens.It will be the same franchise as elected the Parliament which is about to vote for the referendum.

If Cameron had taken Salmond's advice and included these groups last June he would still be Prime Minister!!!

You must understand the riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma that is Brexityoon logic.

Sturgeon is bluffing because no one wants Indy ref II and she would definitely lose, but May should block it anyway, however just in case the franchise should be withdrawn from 16-17 year olds & EU nationals, and the winning threshold for Yes should be raised to 60%.

I think that covers their current position(s).
    You forgot about border patrol boats on the Tweed but not on the Foyle. A personal favourite of mine.
    True.
    I like the fact that they're still recycling IF YOU VOTE YES YOU WILL BE OUT OF THE EU!
    That is particularly odd. The desperation from Leaver-Unionists for Scots to be rejected by the EU, which they themselves rejected, provides constant amusement.

Liked @scotslass 's roundup earlier. I don't watch Dr Who. Is Capaldi now a nat?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    PlatoSaid said:

They can continue to wail about boys prevented from using girls toilets. Nothing makes me think the Left has lost their marbles more than this. Most think it's just creepy.

That is not what it is about. That is just dog-whistling.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

Not all but many. People like personal service. There's no need for serving staff at the god knows how many coffee shops - they could all be automated - but do people want to get a coffee, even a very good one, from a machine?

At the bottom end of the market, however, it'll revolutionise things. There aren't any tea ladies any more.
    I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there are now more horses in the UK than there were at the end of the nineteenth century, it's just that almost all of them are used recreationaly.
    They cost a fortune.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

Salmond decided the franchise in 2014 as Sturgeon will for 2018. It will be the same 16-17 year olds in and European Citizens.It will be the same franchise as elected the Parliament which is about to vote for the referendum.

If Cameron had taken Salmond's advice and included these groups last June he would still be Prime Minister!!!

You must understand the riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma that is Brexityoon logic.

Sturgeon is bluffing because no one wants Indy ref II and she would definitely lose, but May should block it anyway, however just in case the franchise should be withdrawn from 16-17 year olds & EU nationals, and the winning threshold for Yes should be raised to 60%.

You forgot about border patrol boats on the Tweed but not on the Foyle. A personal favourite of mine.
    True.
    I like the fact that they're still recycling IF YOU VOTE YES YOU WILL BE OUT OF THE EU!
    That is particularly odd. The desperation from Leaver-Unionists for Scots to be rejected by the EU, which they themselves rejected, provides constant amusement.

Liked @scotslass 's roundup earlier. I don't watch Dr Who. Is Capaldi now a nat?
    David Tennant who was more or less pro Union last time, if not quite in the flesh.

https://twitter.com/AlexKerr3/status/830418529044291584

Not sure about Capaldi, he keeps his cards quite close to his chest.

• Options
    Jobabob

David Tennant has materialised as a former Dalek, now a Time Lord.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    edited February 2017
    glw said:

scotslass said:

Sturgeon is about to light the taratan touch paper.

So, what's the currency?
    The Euro. That's the only one that makes any sense, unless they really are mad and intend to use the pound without any BoE support for Scottish banks.

scotslass said:

Sturgeon is about to light the taratan touch paper.

So, what's the currency?
    It won't be the euro, for sure. The last thing the Eurozone needs is a cold water Greece on it's hands.
    Well, that's cleared that up....

ONLY one in five Scots back the creation of a separate currency for an independent Scotland, a new poll has revealed.

British pound: 68%
    Euro: 10%
    Scottish Pound: 21%

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/scots-want-to-keep-after-independence/

Since the Electoral Commission is unlikely to permit a repeat of the previous question,

Should Scotland leave the United Kingdom and adopt the Euro?

would seem like a reasonable question......certainly worth discussing......along with the Scottish government's plan to get to a 3% deficit and how much it thinks it would contribute to the EU (no one seriously doubts Scotland will be a net contributor, surely?)

But look on the bright side, you'll finally get your hands on those 'Whisky Export Duties'......
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There are going to be some controls on the Foyle. Cameras and the like. The harder border will be across the Irish Sea.
    There will be a harder border, and tariff and non-tariff barriers on the Tweed, if iScotland.

The situation in Ireland has some nuances. For example everybody born there (north OR south) is a citizen of the Republic and thus is an EU citizen too.

Anyone born on the "island of Ireland" before 2005 is an Irish Citizen. Anyone in the North and born to Irish parents or grandparents is also an Irish citizen. That means that almost everyone in the north is an EU citizen.

That makes for an interesting border situation... :)

• Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

True.

Muswell Hill residents won't be invited to vote in IndiRef2, so Capaldi won't vote No as he previously didn't vote Yes.
  • Options

I could see the EU removing the need for ERM2 membership, which a treaty of accession could do, given what would be unique circumstances. I can't see them waving away the 3% rule.

Yes, maybe they could make some special arrangement, but they'd be extremely cautious given the Greek experience. One bitten twice shy.

More likely I think would be a prolonged period where Scotland is some kind of associate member of the EU, and then a full member but initially outside the Eurozone. In the meantime, the problem of the currency would be a severe one; there aren't any good options, but a floating Scottish pound would probably be the only one which would work. It wouldn't work very well, though, given the tight integration with the UK economy.
  • Options

This happened a couple of weeks ago.

http://abc13.com/food/mcdonalds-unveiling-big-mac-atm-today/1729944/

and this the following week

http://abc13.com/technology/robot-baristas-serve-coffee-at-cafe/1729986/

The move by unions for a $15/hr minimum wage is driving it forward very rapidly now.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

True.

Leaver-Unionists suffer from a condition called reality. Immunity from it involves holding a membership card for the SNP.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

I could see the EU removing the need for ERM2 membership, which a treaty of accession could do, given what would be unique circumstances. I can't see them waving away the 3% rule.

Yes, maybe they could make some special arrangement, but they'd be extremely cautious given the Greek experience. One bitten twice shy.

More likely I think would be a prolonged period where Scotland is some kind of associate member of the EU, and then a full member but initially outside the Eurozone. In the meantime, the problem of the currency would be a severe one; there aren't any good options, but a floating Scottish pound would probably be the only one which would work. It wouldn't work very well, though, given the tight integration with the UK economy.
    The Irish pound worked.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

A universal basic income and retraining funded by a tax on robots is the inevitable result of automation
    Promptly followed by all those robots (and their factories) moving offshore into a regime that doesn't charge the Robot Tax.
    How many factories can you fit on the Cayman Islands?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Jonathan said:

The Irish pound worked.
    Not for Ireland it didnt
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    If Britain can vote Brexit, Scotland can vote independent.

The question is does the post Brexit experience make independence more or less likely.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

They cost a fortune.
    Try having a boat.

Boat (n) From Middle English boot, bot, boet, boyt ‎(“boat”): A hole in the water into which you pour money

• Options
    Duddridge is a real deadwood dud. Nothing more likely to unite the Commons behind Bercow than boasting about Cabinet support!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

SeanT said:

There are going to be some controls on the Foyle. Cameras and the like. The harder border will be across the Irish Sea.
    There will be a harder border, and tariff and non-tariff barriers on the Tweed, if iScotland.

The situation in Ireland has some nuances. For example everybody born there (north OR south) is a citizen of the Republic and thus is an EU citizen too.

Anyone born on the "island of Ireland" before 2005 is an Irish Citizen. Anyone in the North and born to Irish parents or grandparents is also an Irish citizen. That means that almost everyone in the north is an EU citizen.

That makes for an interesting border situation... :)

When you say 'is an Irish citizen' - does it not have to be applied for? I can imagine large numbers of NI residents would not want Irish citizenship....

I know I'm entitled to dual Brit-Irish citizenship through a Falls Rd born Nain.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

True.

Scotland will likely be accepted by the EEA but if it is that just guarantees border controls and customs duties once the rest of the UK leaves the EEA
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017
    Jonathan said:

The Irish pound worked.

Yes, but that was in a different world. In addition Scotland has quite a large financial services sector.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Jobabob

David Tennant has materialised as a former Dalek, now a Time Lord.

A good endorsement. My understanding is JK Rowling is also now pro-Indy. With me and @SouthamObserver also having switched sides, the key endorsements are certainly racking up :)
  • Options
    Essexit said:

I do not know about factories on the Caymans, but I know there are over 100,000 companies registered there :D
  • Options
    CarlottaVance

The question will be exactly the same as 2014 as will the franchise - only the result will change.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

True.

Leaver-Unionists suffer from a condition called reality. Immunity from it involves holding a membership card for the SNP.
    Yes, Leavers' grasp on reality is there on record for all to see

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/1019912/stream_img.jpg
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Labour couldn't give a fuck about the working class. (horrible people, drive white vans and the really awful ones fly the flag)

Now that feeling is being repaid by the voters.

Heart of stone etc

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    PlatoSaid said:

"It is quite remarkable that LAB, the party that for generations has been seen as the mouthpiece of the working classes, now finds itself in third place amongst that group."

It's been many many years since the Labour Party was the mouthpiece of the working classes. For too many years, Labour has told the working classes to STFU because what came out of their mouths was racist, Islamaphobic bile. They have been told what they were supposed to think, how they were to meekly progress towards being progressives.

And all the while Labour was opening the borders, to "rub the Right's noses in diversity". Turns out they were rubbing their voters' noses in it. Tragically comic.

Yup. And Democrats still haven't woken up. I hope they pick Warren or Ellison as Chair.

Yes, an incredible legacy: JFK put Men on the Moon, Obama put Men in the Ladies' Bathroom
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Duddridge is a real deadwood dud. Nothing more likely to unite the Commons behind Bercow than boasting about Cabinet support!

https://twitter.com/UKGE2020/status/831110027335311360
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Pick a third world country, especially in Asia, of your choice that will be quite happy to take your factories and not charge them any silly Robot tax, just for the benefit of the other taxes it can claim, most of which will also be lower than at home.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

The question will be exactly the same as 2014 as will the franchise - only the result will change.

Both are subject to agreement by Westminster. As circumstances have changed there may be changes to both the question and the franchise.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta

True.

Muswell Hill residents won't be invited to vote in IndiRef2, so Capaldi won't vote No as he previously didn't vote Yes.
    London N10 will be an enclave of Scotland before too long if you keep up with the Brexit lark!
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

It's not, it's an example of how far the liberals have shifted from average views.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

Every regime worldwide will impose the robot tax given global automation and that the inevitable alternative is a violent revolution or a Communist government from the new mass underclass
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Which is what they currently have. We exist in a currency union - the English Pound, the Scottish pound, the NI pound, the Manx pound and the pounds of the Bailiwicks.

The Scots banks are entitled to print their own Mickey Mouse money by having enough real money to back it up
    Yes that's right. In fact I believe Scottish notes are not even legal tender, merely legal currency.

Legal tender is a bank of England £5, £10 & £20 note, but not a £50 note from memory.
  • Options

Essexit said:

I do not know about factories on the Caymans, but I know there are over 100,000 companies registered there :D
    Ironically after Switzerland the biggest tax haven in the world is Delaware USA.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Labour couldn't give a fuck about the working class. (horrible people, drive white vans and the really awful ones fly the flag)

Now that feeling is being repaid by the voters.

Heart of stone etc

I come from a staunch working class large West Midlands family,car workers, union officials etc.They have pretty much all stopped voting Labour-it just doesn't represent them any more.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

PlatoSaid said:

Yes, an incredible legacy: JFK put Men on the Moon, Obama put Men in the Ladies' Bathroom
    It's so creepy - peeping toms, in schools. Urgh. And to smile on a tiny fraction of society?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's not, it's an example of how far the liberals have shifted from average views.
    So you would be happy if this person (born female, XX chromosomes, etc) shared the toilet with you?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,580
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

They cost a fortune.
    Bite at one end, kick at the other, and bloody uncomfortable in the middle.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Lets see what Paul Mason thinks of the WWC who used to do as they were told and vote for the donkey with red rosette.

https://order-order.com/2017/02/13/paul-mason-ukip-voters-are-bike-nicking-toe-rags/

"most of the UKIP people are either people who haven’t voted or have flipped in a radical way from Labour. They are toe-rags, basically. They are the bloke who nicks your bike"

“No, seriously, that’s who it is, it’s the bloke who does all the anti-social things.“

As I have said before I grew up on a council estate, was lucky enough to go to a Grammar school and worked long hours and put in time on top of that studying in the evenings.

It paid off for me, but Labour gives every impression of hating people like me.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

Every regime worldwide will impose the robot tax given global automation and that the inevitable alternative is a violent revolution or a Communist government from the new mass underclass
    No they wont. Automation isn't going to be a threat to the third world for a long time. What looks like a good business decision at $15-20/hr is completely nonsensical in the third world where people earn $1-2/hr. In almost all of the third world countries in Asia it almost impossible to buy even domestic appliances right now, because its cheaper to hire someone to do your washing etc.
  • Options

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

Both are subject to agreement by Westminster. As circumstances have changed there may be changes to both the question and the franchise.
    When the Scots eventually vote for independence will you suddenly become a supporter of it, as you did with Brexit?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

The Democrats have the equivalent of U.S. LDs and lead the latest House poll by 8%
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    HYUFD said:

#TEAMROBOTS
  • Options
    Dear God, what a pillock

Gareth Snell
    When I see the word 'entrepreneur' describing a yuppie, I can't help but think, 'rancid twat-bag'.... #apprentice
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

So you would be happy if this person (born female, XX chromosomes, etc) shared the toilet with you?

Not the same cubicle maybe..
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    My latest forecast for Stoke based on reports from those who have been there

Lab 34 UKIP 22 LD 22 Con 12 Others 10
  • Options
    scotslass said:

He was embarrassed on R4 by John Humphries who reminded him that Bercow was the one that pushed the referendum bill, despite opposition from Cons at the time. He (Duddridge) was unaware.
  • Options
    Gareth Snell
    @gareth_snell
    When I see the word 'entrepreneur' describing a yuppie, I can't help but think, 'rancid twat-bag'.... #apprentice

Nice pro-business labour there....
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

When the Scots eventually vote for independence will you suddenly become a supporter of it, as you did with Brexit?
    I'm a democrat - what are you?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?
    And no answer from you.....
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Gareth Snell sounds like the authentic voice of provincial Labour/Stoke to me :>

Doubt any of those tweets Guido is putting about today will cause him much of an issue.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gareth Snell sounds like the authentic voice of Stoke to me :>

Doubt any of those tweets Guido is putting about today will cause him much of an issue.

He certainly doesn't sound like Tristram Hunt!
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?
    My answer is widely known. Brexit should happen. Can't change the vote. But no-one voted for leaving the single market – so we should stay in that. Sadly your mate May has caved into the frother wing of your once great party and now we are headed for economic isolation.

So what is your answer, to my question?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Gareth Snell
    @gareth_snell

Nice pro-business labour there....

Low income entrepeneur - drug dealer in hash
    Yuppie entrepeneur - drug dealer in cocaine and heroin
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?
    My answer is widely known. Brexit should happen. Can't change the vote. But no-one voted for leaving the single market – so we should stay in that. Sadly your mate May has caved into the frother wing of your once great party and now we are headed for economic isolation.

I thought during the campaign it was clear a vote to leave would be a vote to leave the single market?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

I'm fairly sure that won't be true. After all, horses were used recreationally in the 19th century too. But a great many obsolete industries have a zombie afterlife as a leisure passtime or hobby.

Jobabob said:

That's right: Scottish banks that print their own money are obliged to lodge security with the BoE at a rate of 1:1. To keep the physical side of this manageable, the BoE issues £1m and £100m notes for that purpose.
  • Options

Not the same cubicle maybe..

Here you go - you guys get to share the loo with her... I am sure your girlfriends and wives will have no objection.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    PlatoSaid said:

Dear God, what a pillock

Gareth Snell

He's trying REALLY hard to lose it. Maybe the idea of being a Labour backbench MP has lost its shine?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNnh-KhiLm0
  • Options

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

One circumstance is that any reference to "independence" being gained rather than lost by a vote to secede would post Brexit be highly misleading, when the argument for a second referendum in short succession rests on transferring national independence back to the EU.

The UK government should this time put a robust case to the Electoral Commission that the question should be put in terms of Scotland leaving the UK.

In any case the UK might be a tiny bit resistant to the SNP being allowed to roll the dice again and again in short succession, EU style, until they get the answer they want.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

So we should believe that but not the £350m?
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Hoping the Kingdom Asunder paperback will be available within a week or so (on Amazon, it will be available more widely but that takes a little longer).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

In your dreams perhaps.

Some country will inevitably impose no robot tax and undercut everyone else.

It's called "capitalism" - and it works like that..
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited February 2017

Pulpstar said:

He doesn't look like him either.. Labour have gone from the "square jawed leading man with great barnet" look to "school nerd trying to pretend he isn't going bald" chic. Appearances matter we are told.

Snell is almost exactly how I imagine a certain PBer to look actually!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Plato With respect I think you have it wrong on transgender bathroom issues.

The GOP did comparatively poorly in North Carolina, under performing the average swing by 1.6% to 1.8% nationally (And particularly compared to other swing states) and also lost the governor race there.
    Ted Cruz also got bogged down in the bathroom issue which cost his campaign I think.

That was the state and politician who brought up the bathroom issue the most iirc.

Trump, sensibly, largely avoided it.
  • Options
    Daisley:

These are not times for reason; hyperbole is the new national mood and under-reaction an admission of apathy. Theresa May falls foul of a commentariat that demands blood, sweat and especially tears, preferably accompanied by a Twitter hashtag and celebrity retweets. The Prime Minister is rebuked for not scolding the American president over an obnoxious policy. On Brexit she is accused of dithering for failing to stick her negotiating strategy up on Facebook and branded callous for using EU nationals as a “bargaining chip”. (No opprobrium attaches to European leaders for doing the same with Brits.)

But Scots who oppose the break-up of the United Kingdom have no greater friend than Mrs May’s stout sense of proportion. She is no poll-frit PR smoothie in terror of the next focus group. She is not, and no despatch box mimicry will make her, Margaret Thatcher. To the extent this vicar’s daughter hews to any philosophy, it is the Anglican injunction that we be “quietly governed”.

https://stephendaisley.com/2017/02/13/sorry-first-minister-you-dont-hold-all-the-cards-on-indyref2/
  • Options
    Stephen Hawkes
    Jeremy Corbyn on his way to Stoke apparently - time to send in the big guns
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

In your dreams perhaps.

Nope as Greece proves once unemployment goes over 25% you get a hard left government. Capitalism only works if most people benefit from it, the moment it only benefits an elite minority it effectively becomes feudalism except worse because most do not have work to do, that may then produce the next Lenin never mind the next Tsipras!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The GOP did comparatively poorly in North Carolina, under performing the average swing by 1.6% to 1.8% nationally (And particularly compared to other swing states) and also lost the governor race there.
    Ted Cruz also got bogged down in the bathroom issue which cost his campaign I think.

That was the state and politician who brought up the bathroom issue the most iirc.

I doubt we can make a direct link on a single issue here, even in California
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

You just cant help yourself can you.

One was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, the head of the government that would enact whatever happened after the referendum, the other was a non-longer existing campaign group with no responsibility whatsoever.

But you knew that.

(Not to mention that you have no evidence whatsoever that the aspirational 350m ("Let us") won't happen, and wont know for a couple of years.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

In your dreams perhaps.

Technically, it's called the free market. Capitalism is a model of production, not of competition.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

I thought during the campaign it was clear a vote to leave would be a vote to leave the single market?
    Wasn't on the ballot paper.

How is that £350m a week for the NHS working out?
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

He doesn't look like him either.. Labour have gone from the "square jawed leading man with great barnet" look to "school nerd trying to pretend he isn't going bald" chic. Appearances matter we are told.

Snell is almost exactly how I imagine a certain PBer to look actually!
    Speccy Snell's f**cking fantastic. Labour couldn't have chosen a more antipatico candidate.
  • Options
    I note @CarlottaVance still hasn't answered my question.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Trump won by 3.66% which was up from Romney's 2.04% in 2012 so it can't have hurt the GOP that much!
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

Check back in two years and find out.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I said that McCrory would lose in NC before the US election. It will be on a PB thread somewhere.

They are now repealling the legislation because of the financial impact it has had and the threat of major sporting events being cancelled up to 2022 - another $600m on top of the costs so far.

The bathroom issue was pure dog-whistle to evangelicals promising them the right to discriminate on a religious basis. Trans people were simply the current target since the US Supreme Court took gay people out of the firing line.

Laws already exist to prevent inappropriate behaviour in bathrooms and I am sure Google will turn up plenty of examples.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

She has probably put you on ignore like I am about to :)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

Stephen Hawkes
    Jeremy Corbyn on his way to Stoke apparently - time to send in the big guns

Must have been told about Stoke's famous Man-hole Covers Museum....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I said that McCrory would lose in NC before the US election. It will be on a PB thread somewhere.

They are now repealling the legislation because of the financial impact it has had and the threat of major sporting events being cancelled up to 2022 - another $600m on top of the costs so far.

The bathroom issue was pure dog-whistle to evangelicals promising them the right to discriminate on a religious basis. Trans people were simply the current target since the US Supreme Court took gay people out of the firing line.

Laws already exist to prevent inappropriate behaviour in bathrooms and I am sure Google will turn up plenty of examples.
    If you think I am Googling for "Transgender freaks breaking the law in public bathrooms" on a work computer you're mad.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

One was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, the head of the government that would enact whatever happened after the referendum, the other was a non-longer existing campaign group with no responsibility whatsoever.

But you knew that.

(Not to mention that you have no evidence whatsoever that the aspirational 350m ("Let us") won't happen, and wont know for a couple of years.)
    Was. Was. Was the prime minister.

The other was the official official official Leave group.

Got to repeat it for you because you seem to have a block about it.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

Didn't see that on the ballot paper either.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

My point.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

GeoffM said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

My point.
    Then why does Scott'n'Paste think that it's a Thing?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited February 2017
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

But you knew that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG98cwlRqn8

"Mr Carswell asked him: “If the British people vote to leave the EU, will the Prime Minister remain in office to implement their decision?”

Mr Cameron replied simply: “Yes.” "

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/660826/David-Cameron-promises-to-remain-Prime-Minister-after-EU-referendum
  • Options

Jobabob said:

@Jobabobajobabobajobabobabobajob turns rather stalkerish at times......I provided an answer, its not my job to provide him with an understanding....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

scotslass said:

CarlottaVance

So is that a yes then?

But you knew that.

And you seem to have forgotten that the same Prime Minister would stay on even if he lost the vote. Early onset?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Safe spaces must be fun to be inside.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

fpt

In your dreams perhaps.

Nope as Greece proves once unemployment goes over 25% you get a hard left government. Capitalism only works if most people benefit from it, the moment it only benefits an elite minority it effectively becomes feudalism except worse because most do not have work to do, that may then produce the next Lenin never mind the next Tsipras!
    SO you don't see the benefits of capitalism? No cheap cars, food or internet..

Greece was caused by a corrupt and lying Government which borrowed too much and lied and lied.. and has so pissed off its creditors they will not forgive its debt (which they should do as it will nver be repaid)
This discussion has been closed.