Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » John Bercow says he will block Trump from addressing the House

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,099
    tlg86 said:

However bad Bercow might be, we should think back ten years and thank (insert deity here) that he's not Michael Martin.

Given the history of Martin's resignation, an interesting question is whether today's announcement means he has enhanced or diminished the standing of the house.

We've been really unlucky to have Martin and now Bercow. Surely the next one will be half decent?
    Someone (I cannot remember who) said the other day that Bercow has said he was only going to serve a certain length of time as speaker (again, I cannot remember what the period was).

Since his last few predecessors lasted around 7-9 years in the role, it'd hardly be unusual for him to go around now. Could this be a cynical move to cement his legacy in the minds of the public? Or even one to create a great big row that would cause him to go, but one on which the majority of the public might agree with him?
  • Options
    I do hope we get some markets on whether John Bercow will survive as Speaker. It's been far too many years since we last had one of those.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I loathe Trump, but Bercow should be stripped of the Speakership for this stunt.

I’m in two minds quite honestly, one says ignore the speaker’s outburst and go ahead with the address, thus exposing the impotency of his position – and the other is to just ignore him period, his overinflated ego would hate that even more.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, about eight years?

To be fair, it was about three centuries before Martin got topped.

Mr. Jessop, doing that by buggering up the role and making MPs have to consider partisan politics when choosing his successor would be a very Bercow way to screw things up whilst getting himself attention.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Most eastern europeans are Catholics aren't they?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited February 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

It's impossible to separate the invitation from the person invited. Had it been Robert Mugabe or Gerry Adams I wonder whether the bleating would be as loud?

It is on the other hand possible to take on board the fact that an invitee is invited by virtue of his office, not of his personal qualities. And don't go trying to turn this into a left/right thing; there is surely cross-party consensus among the non-deranged that Trump is a dangerous and unpleasant man. It's about what we do about it.
    I think you make a fair point. I don't see it as a left/right question but one of hypocrisy. If Trump is acting outside the law (of his own country) and uses exclusion as a racist weapon then anything other than exclusion would be a slap in the face to those countries and peoples he's targeted
  • Options

Wow!

Instinctively, of course, I love what Bercow did. But taking a step back and a deep breath, I think it was absolutely wrong. If it is his call who gets to address Parliament, it shouldn't be. I am afraid I find it deeply troubling. The claps and the cheers from the opposition, the silence from the government benches; it was just wrong.

The state visit invitation was profoundly mistaken and damaging to the UK's standing. But what Bercow has done today is anti-democratic. I actually think his position may now be untenable.

The critical question is one to which we have yet to have any clear answer, which is whether John Bercow had taken appropriate soundings before making his statement. If he did, then he acted properly.
    No the critical question is whether he has the authority to do what he did. What power does Bercow have over Parliament outside of the Commons chamber. I assume he has no power over the Lords and therefore there must be a line of demarcation or a neutral zone between the two.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I do hope we get some markets on whether John Bercow will survive as Speaker. It's been far too many years since we last had one of those.

I do hope so too :>

(He'll stay for anyone taking notes for tips)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    One possibility not considered: maybe the Speaker is acting with a nod and a wink from HM the Q?
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, almost certainly not.

HM is the epitome of objectivity and neutrality.

Unlike her eldest son.

Mr. Pulpstar, I agree. Bercow won't get turfed out over this, though he's diminished the role of Speaker for a long time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175

Mr. Dean, Parliamentary sovereignty doesn't mean the Speaker is, or should be, involved in Foreign affairs.

Mr. HYUFD, Bercow's a shameless oaf. If he has the backing of Labour, SNPs and wet Tories (only needs a handful) he'll win a vote.

On a speech in Westminster Hall, probably not a speech in the Royal Gallery though, even most wet Tories and some Labour MPs would vote for that but Bercow has ruled that out as well
  • Options
    Pong said:

Bercow is a joke. Thankfully he's pretty harmless.

It's the little englander brexiteers who are really dangerous;

All those years of standing up 4 @GibraltarGov & this is how they repay us. If u love EU so much Spain not far away https://t.co/8IUayO8GX1

— David Davies MP (@DavidTCDavies) February 5, 2017

Davies has no power. Bercow does. They might both be berks but only one has the power to cause a diplomatic incident.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Pulpstar said:

Wow!

Instinctively, of course, I love what Bercow did. But taking a step back and a deep breath, I think it was absolutely wrong. If it is his call who gets to address Parliament, it shouldn't be. I am afraid I find it deeply troubling. The claps and the cheers from the opposition, the silence from the government benches; it was just wrong.

The state visit invitation was profoundly mistaken and damaging to the UK's standing. But what Bercow has done today is anti-democratic. I actually think his position may now be untenable.

The state visit was flung out far too quickly by May, in particular I'm concerned that (from the subsequent soundings) the palace was pretty much bounced into Trump visiting..
    The haste of this state visit was a result of Brexit which the Queen supported. If she didn't want to be bounced into having to invite every passing despot for tea, she should have thought a bit harder about some of the advantages of being in the EU.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, almost certainly not.

HM is the epitome of objectivity and neutrality.

Unlike her eldest son.

Mr. Pulpstar, I agree. Bercow won't get turfed out over this, though he's diminished the role of Speaker for a long time.

In Bercow's hearing: "Not another bloody banquet. Will no-one rid me of this troublesome feast...."
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032

One possibility not considered: maybe the Speaker is acting with a nod and a wink from HM the Q?

Or from HM Government, who realise it is a step too far?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    The dumb bit is, if you wanted to embarrass Trump, surely the best way would be to invite him to speak, and then there to be a derisory turnout.
  • Options

Wow!

The critical question is one to which we have yet to have any clear answer, which is whether John Bercow had taken appropriate soundings before making his statement. If he did, then he acted properly.
    No the critical question is whether he has the authority to do what he did. What power does Bercow have over Parliament outside of the Commons chamber. I assume he has no power over the Lords and therefore there must be a line of demarcation or a neutral zone between the two.

Considering invitations to the two areas discussed come either in his name or jointly in his name then yes he had the authority to do what he did. But like the monarch it is how he uses his authority that is more important than what authority he has.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The dumb bit is, if you wanted to embarrass Trump, surely the best way would be to invite him to speak, and then there to be a derisory turnout.

Trump addressing a half-empty Chamber would be quite a sight!
  • Options
    Mr Dancer,
    It is not Foreign Affairs only though. As far as what goes on in HofC his word is LAW. He can lock people up after all.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    nunu said:

Most eastern europeans are Catholics aren't they?
    Catholic or Orthodox.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I honestly don't think it is humanly possible to embarrass Trump.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745

Does the POTUS usually address Parliament during State visits?

Reagan, George W Bush and Obama have all had State visits to the UK and both Reagan and Obama addressed the joint Houses of Parliament during those visits. GW did not.

Bill Clinton has also addressed the joint Houses but his was not a State visit.
    Therefore Bercow is way out of line.
    Oh and on the same subject, the only two Presidents since WW2 not to meet the monarch are Kennedy and Carter.
    Presumably Kennedy did not survive long enough, Carter was shortchanged by the extensive Silver jubilee celebrations.
    Carter visited Newcastle - much better than a trip to Windsor for a cu of tea with Liz.

I saw his motorcade. It was also the day our secondary double glazing was being fitted. I'm not sure which I found more exciting at the time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    rcs1000 said:

Plus the speaking bit. He is bound to make an arse of himself. But the Speaker is well out of order. May will be diminished if she does not respond to this.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

I loathe Trump, but Bercow should be stripped of the Speakership for this stunt.

Agreed. First order of business tomorrow should be a motion of no confidence in the Speaker.
    Don't you think the Conservatives government has learnt the lesson of their last bungled attempt to eject Bercow?

The fact is Bercow enjoys huge cross party support including a significant minority of Conservative MP's.
  • Options

Reagan, George W Bush and Obama have all had State visits to the UK and both Reagan and Obama addressed the joint Houses of Parliament during those visits. GW did not.

Oh and on the same subject, the only two Presidents since WW2 not to meet the monarch are Kennedy and Carter.
    Presumably Kennedy did not survive long enough, Carter was shortchanged by the extensive Silver jubilee celebrations.
    Carter visited Newcastle - much better than a trip to Windsor for a cu of tea with Liz.

I saw his motorcade. It was also the day our secondary double glazing was being fitted. I'm not sure which I found more exciting at the time.
    Carter still met the Queen and the Queen Mother though as I showed earlier
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Agreed. First order of business tomorrow should be a motion of no confidence in the Speaker.
    Don't you think the Conservatives government has learnt the lesson of their last bungled attempt to eject Bercow?

The fact is Bercow enjoys huge cross party support including a significant minority of Conservative MP's.
    He may have lost a bit of that support today!
  • Options
    Interesting that Tory MPs are now coming out in support of the Speaker. Theresa May is in danger of looking embarrassingly isolated. She really doesn't seem to have any idea of the man she's dealing with. Saying you can't separate the office from the man in this case doesn't make sense. He's behaving like a dictator.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow!

The state visit was flung out far too quickly by May, in particular I'm concerned that (from the subsequent soundings) the palace was pretty much bounced into Trump visiting..
    The haste of this state visit was a result of Brexit which the Queen supported. If she didn't want to be bounced into having to invite every passing despot for tea, she should have thought a bit harder about some of the advantages of being in the EU.
    Strange, I seem to recall her entertaining despots while we were in the EU.
  • Options
    Astonishing behaviour by Bercow - he has squarely lost all independence on anything to do with the US and Trump. Wholly compromised his position.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Interesting that Tory MPs are now coming out in support of the Speaker. Theresa May is in danger of looking embarrassingly isolated. She really doesn't seem to have any idea of the man she's dealing with. Saying you can't separate the office from the man in this case doesn't make sense. He's behaving like a dictator.

The President of China is a dictator and he got an invite. Who are these Tory MPs? The Tory MPs I am seeing on Twitter at the moment oppose Bercow
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, Trump has been overruled by a judge. That's not very dictatory.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The camera angles would probably be kind. And even if only half the MPs turned up, it would still look a full house to the American media - just because it is normally bursting at the seams.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    HYUFD said:

Woodrew Wilson visited Carlisle, and spent the whole day there..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited February 2017
    Standing back, objectively, I think it is fair to say that this state visit isn't going terribly well.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The camera angles would probably be kind. And even if only half the MPs turned up, it would still look a full house to the American media - just because it is normally bursting at the seams.
    It would be in Westminster hall, not the chamber. Still, you are correct about the angles.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

The President of China is a dictator and he got an invite. Who are these Tory MPs? The Tory MPs I am seeing on Twitter at the moment oppose Bercow
    I've just seen one on Channel 4
  • Options
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

The delights of Carlisle
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I've just seen one on Channel 4
    Ah, but you said "MPs"... ;)
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    JonathanD said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow!

Horsesh*t. We had Mugabe, Mobutu, Ceaușescu and Xi Jinping over for dinner and a speech while we were in the EU.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    rcs1000 said:

Well that is what would happen now - Bercow has just given the green light for every opposition MP to boycott the visit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

The delights of Carlisle
    Wasn't his family from Carlisle? Think there is a plaque in the town centre.
  • Options
    Anyone else seen this? It suggests that Trump is literally in the dark...
    https://nytimes.com/2017/02/05/us/politics/trump-white-house-aides-strategy.html?_r=1
  • Options

Mr. Roger, Trump has been overruled by a judge. That's not very dictatory.

Look at the rest of his actions, including his recent rather 'interesting' tweets about any terrorist attack being the fault of the judges who refused to lift the ban. Also witness his attacks on the 'bad' media (i.e. the bits that do not support him).

He's pretty much constantly attacking the judiciary. Then again, given the hysterical over-reaction by many on here over the A50 court case, perhaps false attacks on the judiciary are in vogue.

As I've said passim, you need to look at such actions in relation to the New Dictator's Handbook (tm). Worryingly, it's similar to how both Putin and Erdogan started. I hope he doesn't continue down the same path.
  • Options
    I have little doubt that the visit was being planned for the summer when Parliament is in recess. I think this is more likely than ever now.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Mr Dancer,
    It is not Foreign Affairs only though. As far as what goes on in HofC his word is LAW. He can lock people up after all.

No its not. He is a servant of the House, and hence has to follow any motion passed by the House instructing him.
  • Options
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

He must have been easily pleased. (Or maybe, it prevented him from having to go to Scotland?)
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Or gained some, although not really the point.

The Conservative government should not repeat their appalling misjudgement at the end of the last parliament that damaged William Hague's reputation,

Effectively supporting Trump over Bercow and trying to rid a Speaker on the issue would result in a humiliation for May.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, Trump comes out with some stuff that varies between unworthy and alarming. That doesn't make him a tyrant.

It's logically indefensible to sit down and listen politely to Xi Jinping, then claim Donald Trump is beyond the pale.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

tlg86 said:

However bad Bercow might be, we should think back ten years and thank (insert deity here) that he's not Michael Martin.

Given the history of Martin's resignation, an interesting question is whether today's announcement means he has enhanced or diminished the standing of the house.

We've been really unlucky to have Martin and now Bercow. Surely the next one will be half decent?
    Someone (I cannot remember who) said the other day that Bercow has said he was only going to serve a certain length of time as speaker (again, I cannot remember what the period was).

Since his last few predecessors lasted around 7-9 years in the role, it'd hardly be unusual for him to go around now. Could this be a cynical move to cement his legacy in the minds of the public? Or even one to create a great big row that would cause him to go, but one on which the majority of the public might agree with him?
    It seems rather inconsistent for someone who relies upon respect for the office he holds to bar a holder of a rather greater office because of personal qualities.
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

The Conservative government should not repeat their appalling misjudgement at the end of the last parliament that damaged William Hague's reputation,

Effectively supporting Trump over Bercow and trying to rid a Speaker on the issue would result in a humiliation for May.
    Yes I do agree that the attempted removal of him at the last minute was pretty underhanded.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

The delights of Carlisle
    Maybe
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Bercow has already humiliated himself quite enough with the hypocrisy of listening to the Emir of Kuwait and the President of China but not the President of the United States. The sheer sycophancy he gave the Obamas and the complete refusal to listen to his successor is a totally unwarranted interference in the domestic politics of our most significant ally, yes he may have preferred the Obamas personally but it is totally disrespectful of the office the American people have just elected Trump to
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Mr Dancer,

No its not. He is a servant of the House, and hence has to follow any motion passed by the House instructing him.
    He does indeed. But on matters of conduct, procedure and what gets debated, he has a wide range of powers.
  • Options

notme said:

HYUFD said:

He must have been easily pleased. (Or maybe, it prevented him from having to go to Scotland?)
    It has a very nice wall .... Seems to be a POTUS thing.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    JackW said:

But should Bercow be effectively saying that the democratically elected head of our closest ally is worse than the dictator of China?

This looks very, very serious to me.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Roger said:

Most Tory MPs are not representative. Liberals
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, Trump comes out with some stuff that varies between unworthy and alarming. That doesn't make him a tyrant.

It's logically indefensible to sit down and listen politely to Xi Jinping, then claim Donald Trump is beyond the pale.

Anyway, I must be off.

The problem is that (as two examples), neither Putin or Erdogan started off as they've ended up, and I rather doubt that either planned to. But he's making similar sounds to the ones they made after they'd been in power for a few years.

He's not a tyrant. But he could become one, and he's standing on that road. We have to hope he intends, and will, step off it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

The delights of Carlisle
    EDIT: Just Googled it. Woodrow Wilson's mother was born in Carlisle.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

But should Bercow be effectively saying that the democratically elected head of our closest ally is worse than the dictator of China?

Is it plain wrong, or simply outdated, to have higher expectations of and standards for a POTUS? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    dixiedean said:

Or from HM Government, who realise it is a step too far?
    The whole raison d'etre of his job is precisely not to do things on a nod from HMQ or HMGovt. so I doubt it.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

tlg86 said:

It seems rather inconsistent for someone who relies upon respect for the office he holds to bar a holder of a rather greater office because of personal qualities.
    Yes. I'm not necessarily in favour of this move for several reasons including past history and future precedent.

However, whether it's *right* or not will depend on conversations Bercow may or may not have had with others in the commons.

My post was just musing on Bercow's reasoning, if any.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    edited February 2017
    Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Is it plain wrong, or simply outdated, to have higher expectations of and standards for a POTUS? Genuine question.
    Well that's not for us in general (or Bercow in particular) to judge.

Look, I'd rather Trump hadn't become POTUS as well. If I'd had a vote I'd have held my nose and voted for Hilary.

But we are where we are and we've got to deal with Trump. The Speaker of the Commons insulting the POTUS so publicly like this is very, very serious.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Simply wrong. It's this kind of attitude that allows sexual abuse in Rotherham and election fraud in Tower Hamlets to go unpunished.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    It's not a binary choice: it's perfectly possible to say you dislike him and do not support him, and also not support and condemn some of the more egregious acts against him. "

Mr Jessop,

That's exactly the point. I think Jezza is a disaster overall, but he does make the odd good point. Rare, I grant you, but no one is all bad, even politicians. He does represent a viewpoint. Trump is honest, he says and tweets what he feels like. But there is a group who would criticise him even if he gave away his fortune to an LBGT charity and revealed himself as an angel from Heaven. For that group, it is was binary choice, and they made that choice on the basis of their version of Top Trumps.

If he's in any way racist or sexist, he loses on everything.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Yet if he was an actual dictator we'd have no problems not just inviting him but calling it an honour to do so?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

Astonishing behaviour by Bercow - he has squarely lost all independence on anything to do with the US and Trump. Wholly compromised his position.

I don't want him to be independent over the US; he is the speaker of the House of Commons. The question is whether his intervention was out of order or not.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Rumours that Diane Abbott and Barry Gardiner are pushing for Labour MPs to be allowed to abstain or have a free vote on Article 50.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Bercow is a self indulgent, extravagant person with public funds and likes to associate himself with the Left even though he was an extreme right winger in his younger days.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I don't want him to be independent over the US; he is the speaker of the House of Commons. The question is whether his intervention was out of order or not.
    I fail to see how his being Speaker supports your first sentence. The Speaker of the House of Commons is not a position that is meant to have a position over the US, he is meant to be impartial over foreign policy.
  • Options
    @GuardianAnushka: House of Lords spokesperson: “The Lord Speaker was not consulted by Mr Bercow... The Lord Speaker will make his own statement tomorrow..."
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

So lay a motion before the house requiring that Trump be permitted to speak before both houses, if the government can pass the motion the speaker will be put back in his box and have to follow the will of the house without having to actually dethrone him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Bercow has already humiliated himself quite enough with the hypocrisy of listening to the Emir of Kuwait and the President of China but not the President of the United States. The sheer sycophancy he gave the Obamas and the complete refusal to listen to his successor is a totally unwarranted interference in the domestic politics of our most significant ally, yes he may have preferred the Obamas personally but it is totally disrespectful of the office the American people have just elected Trump too
    It may has escaped your notice that President Trump doesn't yet have full rein of the Palace of Westminster and that thanks to the independence of the Speaker.

You may argue the merits of it but I'm content that the most powerful man on earth should know he's subject to the the writ of others be they the MP for Buckingham or "so called judges".

Rather refreshing.

• Options
    CD13 said:

It's not a binary choice: it's perfectly possible to say you dislike him and do not support him, and also not support and condemn some of the more egregious acts against him. "

Mr Jessop,

That's exactly the point. I think Jezza is a disaster overall, but he does make the odd good point. Rare, I grant you, but no one is all bad, even politicians. He does represent a viewpoint. Trump is honest, he says and tweets what he feels like. But there is a group who would criticise him even if he gave away his fortune to an LBGT charity and revealed himself as an angel from Heaven. For that group, it is was binary choice, and they made that choice on the basis of their version of Top Trumps.

There's extremists on both sides: look at the way certain people on here laud *anything* he does. They would acclaim him even if he was to drop his pants in the palace and mooned the Queen. In the Throne Room, perhaps? ;)

I'll criticise or praise Trump on his words and actions. Sadly he's giving me far too much ammunition to criticise him, and little, if any, to praise.

The only move I've supported has been his concentration on infrastructure, which is much-needed, long overdue and politically astute.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuardianAnushka: House of Lords spokesperson: “The Lord Speaker was not consulted by Mr Bercow... The Lord Speaker will make his own statement tomorrow..."

That will be interesting and what if he contradicts Bercow
  • Options
    One minor puzzle is the prominence of the SNP MPs in applauding Bercow. I am pretty certain their leaders would greatly prefer them to keep their heads down and say nothing. Except, possibly, "Och, a squirrel!" and "Menie Estate? What Menie Estate?"
  • Options
    The deluded dwarf is laughable. I've never seen such pomposity.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

As Bercow said, he is one of the other three keyholders.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Bercow has already humiliated himself quite enough with the hypocrisy of listening to the Emir of Kuwait and the President of China but not the President of the United States. The sheer sycophancy he gave the Obamas and the complete refusal to listen to his successor is a totally unwarranted interference in the domestic politics of our most significant ally, yes he may have preferred the Obamas personally but it is totally disrespectful of the office the American people have just elected Trump too
    It may has escaped your notice that President Trump doesn't yet have full rein of the Palace of Westminster and that thanks to the independence of the Speaker.

You may argue the merits of it but I'm content that the most powerful man on earth should know he's subject to the the writ of others be they the MP for Buckingham or "so called judges".

Rather refreshing.

Christ of a bike some people need to stop flaunting their virtue and look at the realpolitik.

Its not just Trump, what message are we sending to 65m Americans that voted for Trump, and many million more that didn't but respect the office of President ? That we respect the office of the President of People's Republic of China a party placeman elected by no one, with over a thousand political prisoners held in psychiatric facilities, and yet we dont respect the democratically elected President of the United States.

I guess if there is a fuss in the USA and they decided they dont want to do a deal with us any more that would suit you just fine.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209

Scott_P said:

War!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    edited February 2017

TOPPING said:

I fail to see how his being Speaker supports your first sentence. The Speaker of the House of Commons is not a position that is meant to have a position over the US, he is meant to be impartial over foreign policy.
    Is he? What if we were at war?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Is he? What if we were at war?
    Even then. The Speaker has no official view on policy, he is a functionary that chairs the meetings of the House and supervises the administration of its procedures.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Jessop,

There's extremists on both sides: look at the way certain people on here laud *anything* he does. They would acclaim him even if he was to drop his pants in the palace and mooned the Queen. In the Throne Room, perhaps? ;)

I'll criticise or praise Trump on his words and actions. Sadly he's giving me far too much ammunition to criticise him, and little, if any, to praise.

The only move I've supported has been his concentration on infrastructure, which is much-needed, long overdue and politically astute.
    There really is hardly anyone who "lauds anything Trump does," there's at most two or three posters who do or did, and less so than they used to. And if they do, you should answer their Trump-lauding posts as and when they are posted rather than making broad and unprovable general statements. There is, I hope, a coalition of the more-or-less sane who recognise that Trump is dangerous and unstable and that the practical question is how best to limit his potential to damage us. The very worst possible answer to that question, is to do things which have 0% chance of damaging him and 100% chance of enraging him and making him hostile to us - which is exactly what Bercow has done.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

Christ of a bike some people need to stop flaunting their virtue and look at the realpolitik.

Realpolitik is based on mutual interests, not friendship. That was May's fundamental mistake in rushing to offer Trump a state visit without having considered the implications of his agenda.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Hopefully Bercow has learnt the mistake of the Chinese visit.

I don't envy PM May's predicament. She has to flash her wares at Trump (oh dear) and retain her modesty for home viewers - taking the Elizabeth I of England option. Going to war with Speaker Bercow isn't an option.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

It is beyond laughable it is outrageous.

The man is also a first class hypocrite.

• Options
    @danbloom1: Source claims the Lord Speaker - who also holds keys to W Hall - was "irritated by the lack of consultation" over John Bercow's speech today
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

So lay a motion before the house requiring that Trump be permitted to speak before both houses, if the government can pass the motion the speaker will be put back in his box and have to follow the will of the house without having to actually dethrone him.
    Fuck it - dethrone him
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The Speaker, Lords Speaker and Lord Chamberlain each effectively have a veto.
  • Options

Realpolitik is based on mutual interests, not friendship. That was May's fundamental mistake in rushing to offer Trump a state visit without having considered the implications of his agenda.
    We are where we are. Is the interest of the country best followed by further pissing off the most powerful man in the world ? No dont answer that, we know you dont have the best interests of this country at heart.
  • Options

Roger said:

Yet if he was an actual dictator we'd have no problems not just inviting him but calling it an honour to do so?
    Exactly - this is virtue signalling gone mad and hypocrisy of the highest degree.

And nope, i'm no Trump fan boy
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

If Mr Bercow is a PB follower, perhaps he was just fed up of Brexit threads & wanted us to have something else to talk about.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Not what I heard in Bercow's speech.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Rather refreshing.

In theory a lovely point, but it depends on Trump having some knowledge of how the UK constitution works. His anti-judge tweets show beyond doubt that he hasn't the first idea of or interest in how the US constitution works, so why would he understand ours? He'll just think: can't these people make their minds up one way or the other?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Floater said:

It is beyond laughable it is outrageous.

The man is also a first class hypocrite.

A clasic example of small-man syndrome?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:
    Too late now really. A competent government would have closed down this avenue of embarrassment before Bercow drove down it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Well that's not for us in general (or Bercow in particular) to judge.

Look, I'd rather Trump hadn't become POTUS as well. If I'd had a vote I'd have held my nose and voted for Hilary.

But we are where we are and we've got to deal with Trump. The Speaker of the Commons insulting the POTUS so publicly like this is very, very serious.
    I couldn't have voted for either of them - but I agree with the sentiments
  • Options

Anyway, I must be off.

Not just Xi - there are others
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

One minor puzzle is the prominence of the SNP MPs in applauding Bercow. I am pretty certain their leaders would greatly prefer them to keep their heads down and say nothing. Except, possibly, "Och, a squirrel!" and "Menie Estate? What Menie Estate?"

We are very lucky to have such insights into the preferences of SNP 'leaders'.
This discussion has been closed.