Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three CON defences in the South West amongst tonight’s 7 by-el

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    AndyJS said:

"THE TIMES FRONT PAGE: "US election was hacked 'on Putin's command'" #skypapers"

http://www.scoopnest.com/user/SkyNews/809526191141031945

Now that may jump the shark.
    The election was not hacked, the russians may have hacked the DNC emails but not peoples minds or their votes, the Times has a misleading title.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

But that's not the result in Fife, surely there are transfers?

Yes, Labour nearly won.
    https://twitter.com/rae_sc/status/809542795040006144
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    AndyJS said:

"THE TIMES FRONT PAGE: "US election was hacked 'on Putin's command'" #skypapers"

How much connected technology was there in polling stations? My impression was that the machines which brought us hanging chads were the zenith of sophistication.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    test
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Back from a short holiday in Israel.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

The election was not hacked, the russians may have hacked the DNC emails but not peoples minds or their votes, the Times has a misleading title.
    Cue tweets from the Donald attacking Rupert Murdoch and the failing London Times?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    matt said:

AndyJS said:

How much connected technology was there in polling stations? My impression was that the machines which brought us hanging chads were the zenith of sophistication.
    I believe that they are talking about the DNC hacks.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    The Fife elections page makes no remark about whether the results posted are just first preferences. It says the SNP was elected without giving the reason why. Don't know why councils are so poor at explaining STV elections results.
  • Options

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Cue tweets from the Donald attacking Rupert Murdoch and the failing London Times?
    Trump won that argument against Murdoch when he defeated Fox News during the primaries.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Told you. My film recommendations are awesome.

You liked SPECTRE. Your reputation will never recover from that.

However Rogue One is not a terrible film.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

The Fife elections page makes no remark about whether the results posted are just first preferences. It says the SNP was elected without giving the reason why. Don't know why councils are so poor at explaining STV elections results.

Instead we have to rely on someones photograph of a printout of the results, showing only two of the stages. FPTP far superior... :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

matt said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks. Misleading headline then I guess. That they've tried doesn't surprise me - intellectually how is this different to funding, for example, certain trade unions or their leaders. That they're caught is more surprising.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Bury St Edmunds is Ind gain from Con

Ind 550 Con 213 LD 102 Lab 71 UKIP 47
  • Options
    Bang on target, I mentioned that there is a non zero chance of Assange getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Trump for his services to the GOP:
    https://twitter.com/allahpundit/status/809542466617704448
  • Options
    slade said:
    In fact the Independent was down about 1%.
  • Options
    matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks. Misleading headline then I guess. That they've tried doesn't surprise me - intellectually how is this different to funding, for example, certain trade unions or their leaders. That they're caught is more surprising.
    They are all kicking up a fuss in the run up to the electoral college vote on Monday.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    From the BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38336272

"White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest added that it was "pretty obvious" that Mr Putin was involved."

A open-and-shut case!
  • Options

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Presumably Rupert Murdoch is part of the so-called metropolitan liberal elite as well then. Who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

From the BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38336272

"White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest added that it was "pretty obvious" that Mr Putin was involved."

A open-and-shut case!

I've read worse, it was either NBC or the New York Times that reported "it may or may not be" about those russian hackers.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,095
    Slade Council by elections rarely symbolise much, Hague regularly made big council by election gains from 1997 to 2001. They provide some encouragement for opposition parties but little more
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Presumably Rupert Murdoch is part of the so-called metropolitan liberal elite as well then. Who'd have thought it?
    It's a much broader group than you'd expect!

It's also amazing how much some very establishment types are suddenly not establishment when the moment is right.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Slade Council by elections rarely symbolise much, Hague regularly made big council by election gains from 1997 to 2001. They provide some encouragement for opposition parties but little more

You are saying that the Lib Dems should stop preparing for government?
  • Options
    Blackdown result: LD 440, Con 139, Ind 39.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Taunton Blackdown was a 40% swing from Con to Lib Dem

LDem 440
    Con 139
    Ind 39
  • Options
    Portillo says May better than Cameron on This Week
  • Options
    Liberal Democrat GAIN Chudleigh (Teignbridge) from Conservative.
  • Options

In a Leave voting area - http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2016-06-24/taunton-deane-votes-to-leave-the-eu/

The Tories are in trouble across southern England because of Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Portillo says May better than Cameron on This Week

Don't think you can really judge such a thing for sure until the leadership ends, all political careers end in failure and all that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

It's also amazing how much some very establishment types are suddenly not establishment when the moment is right.
    Yep. Apparently former banker Nigel Farage and Billionaire Donald Trump are not part of the establishment....
  • Options

Lib Dems sweeping to a landslide in the West Country
  • Options

In a Leave voting area - http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2016-06-24/taunton-deane-votes-to-leave-the-eu/

The Tories are in trouble across southern England because of Brexit.
    But how much trouble? Not many Richmond's where enough trouble and other events to lead to actual losses, and not many such opportunities coming up either. The more trouble they're in, the more we'll definitely not get an early GE where such trouble would hurt them.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Yep. Apparently former banker Nigel Farage and Billionaire Donald Trump are not part of the establishment....
    I don't think you'd call them establishment candidates.
  • Options
    RobD The 14% they are currently on according to the latest poll is still lower than any result they obtained since 1979 bar 2015
  • Options

Cornwall going full yellow next year?
  • Options
    WG LDs winning a couple of council by elections in seats they hold is hardly symbolising 'Tories in trouble across southern England' indeed in the Powys by election tonight the LD vote was well down and that area contains Brecon and Radnor which also used to be a LD seat
  • Options
    K4 Indeed but this was on his comparison of the 2
  • Options

18% swing.
  • Options
    Chudleigh

LDem 680
    Con 470
    UKIP 89
    Lab 81
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think you'd call them establishment candidates.
    I think the relevant point is people define establishment however they like, like mainstream, elite and other such terms. Professional politicians and billionaires are, to many people, establishment by virtue of their positions, of who they associate with, but only when it is inconvenient are such excluded (either from opponents suggesting they are beyond the pale or themselves to suggest they are opposed by a nebulous powerful enemy.

Let us never forget Jeb godddamn Bush and Hillary bloody Clinton pitching, at various times, as outsiders. That's how silly the world is.
  • Options
    but that 14% HYUFD is responding to a polling question and not after voters being reminded constantly for 3 weeks on end that the LDs are now the only Remain party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

WG LDs winning a couple of council by elections in seats they hold is hardly symbolising 'Tories in trouble across southern England' indeed in the Powys by election tonight the LD vote was well down and that area contains Brecon and Radnor which also used to be a LD seat

Only because a Conservative stood.
  • Options

FFS

twitter.com/tompeck/status/809549345922097152

Tasteless, but I guess correct? :p
  • Options
    An interesting take on the purpose and therefore lessons of the Berlin Wall.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Ah, that explains a bit of the LD surge in that particular seat.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FFS

No, not correct.

Has Morris Dancer been tutoring you in history ? It would explain a few things.
  • Options
    Slade The LDs got 50% last time, 32% tonight
  • Options

RobD said:

FFS

No, not correct.

I thought the East Berlin army was particularly good at keeping people on one side? Maybe basing that view on too many films depicting people getting shot as they tried to cross a minefield.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Slade The LDs got 50% last time, 32% tonight

As I explained the Conservatives did not stand last time - they did this time and got the 18% which before went LD.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

FFS

No, not correct.

I thought the East Berlin army was particularly good at keeping people on one side? Maybe basing that view on too many films depicting people getting shot as they tried to cross a minefield.
    The wall was built by undemocratic odious fools and the wall ultimately came down.

Tear down this wall Mr Gorbachev.
  • Options
    Lib Dems gain Bovey , Teignbridge from Con

A clean sweep
  • Options
    edited December 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

FFS

No, not correct.

The wall was built by undemocratic odious fools and the wall ultimately came down.

I still wonder why Berlin was partitioned in the first place. I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing, and they had no idea what would happen when they were drawing up the maps in the middle of the 40s.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

FFS

No, not correct.

I still wonder why Berlin was partitioned in the first place. I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing, and they had no idea what would happen when they were drawing up the maps in the middle of the 40s.
    Because it was the capital. At that time there were 4 zones divided between the allied powers. It was several years later that the Russian zone became the DDR.
  • Options
    Vienna similarly divided as well.
  • Options
    Slade The LDs did not run uncontested last time so there was a clear loss of votes by them
  • Options
    Bovey , Teignbridge

LD 838
    Con 631
    Ind 169
    Lab 103
    UKIP 98
    Ind 68
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

FFS

No, not correct.

Because it was the capital. At that time there were 4 zones divided between the allied powers. It was several years later that the Russian zone became the DDR.
    Yeah, I wonder if they ever envisioned a scenario like the one that eventually played out.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,761
    RobD said:

FFS

Quite a lot of West Berliners secretly regretted the passing of the Wall. Although it wasn't built for them, of course.
  • Options
    Berlin Wall, built by Lefties.
  • Options
    RobD said:

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

AndyJS said:

They are all kicking up a fuss in the run up to the electoral college vote on Monday.
    Yes, watching the news here this evening, I had the misfortune to turn on Fox News. Although the actors urging EC college voters to switch votes were equally unsympathetic characters.
  • Options
    Something about a horse and a barn door comes to mind
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Not sure we should be trusting anyone outside of Five Eyes. (anyone used in the context of the spy world!)
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Coming back to the elections, has there been anywhere in recent months where UKIP have had a respectable showing (Sleaford aside)? Is it too early to write them off, or are they hibernating till A50 is possibly postponed or at least not hard enough for them, and the Express goes on the warpath with farage, Nuttall etc out on the streets again?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

Not sure we should be trusting anyone outside of Five Eyes. (anyone used in the context of the spy world!)
    Agree - of course 'Intelligence' is nowhere near as high on the priorities of the EU or the EC as it is for national governments.......so I suspect major ructions at some point down the line....during the Brussels attacks there were reports the Belgian police were getting more from the UK than their own intelligence services.....
  • Options
    Oh dear, Jeremy Corbyn does not make the top 10 of politicians searched in the U.K. In 2016: https://www.google.co.uk/trends/yis/2016/GB

Looks like the UK already knows all it needs to.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    While you shouldn't read too much, etc., etc., and it would be interesting to know the longer term history of these seats, it is clear that the LibDems are resurfacing. Real people are going out to real polling stations, and putting little 'x's in next to their candidates names.

Perhaps it's because Corbyn is so crap. Perhaps it's because Farron has managed to motivate the membership to go knocking on doors. Perhaps it's because there are quite a few Remain and/or Soft Brexit voters looking for a home. Perhaps it's a little bit of all of these, or something completely different.

But those who choose to deny it are putting prejudices before data.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

But those who choose to deny it are putting prejudices before data.

Never happens on this site!
  • Options
    @Charles, where are you? Or are you up early?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Charles, where are you? Or are you up early?

Up early. Insomnia sucks!
  • Options
    @rcs1000 any idea where the quote button has gone?
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    guilty concience, keeping you awake...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    I see it was a terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible night for the Tories. Does anyone keep a track of turnout in these local by elections?
  • Options
    PAW said:

No. I know I have to do something I that will be unpleasant for someone. I've spent 6 months giving them every opportunity to develop a collaborative approach but they don't want to play ball. I've no options left. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.
  • Options
    OT, but the Birthers are back.. and, suspiciously, the official who certified Obama's certificate several years ago died in a plane crash three days ago.

Now, what did Garak say about coincidences?
  • Options
    Charles said:

PAW said:

No. I know I have to do something I that will be unpleasant for someone. I've spent 6 months giving them every opportunity to develop a collaborative approach but they don't want to play ball. I've no options left. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Charles is a master assassin and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    I am trying to write a proposal, trying to make an impactful statement, while my brother talks continously to me about things I have no interest in...
  • Options
    PAW said:

I am trying to write a proposal, trying to make an impactful statement, while my brother talks continously to me about things I have no interest in...

Are you talking about this post?

Or something else...
  • Options
    No, just explaining why I am still working - brother dropped in.
  • Options
    PAW said:

No, just explaining why I am still working - brother dropped in.

Stateside?
  • Options
    No, in england, always work a little late in the evening, the day is full of interuptions...
  • Options
    @Charles

Having been through similar experiences myself, they are always deeply unpleasant. You have my sympathy.
  • Options
    Your colleague probably knows he has reached the end of the line. I have always been soft as butter and looking back it would have been better for everybody if I had been tougher.
  • Options
    Mind you, I think I would put it off to after Christmas.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Great pix to start the day - 2016 National Geographic Nature Photographer of the Year competition winner and runners up. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-38288359
  • Options
    Good results for the yellow peril last night.
  • Options
    Lib Dems gain all 3 Tory seats in the West Country, with percentage gains of 20%, 39% and 50%. Ind takes fourth Tory seat.
    Labour down except in Blackburn and UKIP fails to make impression

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 6h6 hours ago
    Bovey (Teignbridge) result:
    LDEM: 43.9% (+20.3)
    CON: 33.1% (-4.2)
    IND: 8.9% (-1.5)
    LAB: 5.4% (-7.4)
    UKIP: 5.1% (+5.1)
    IND: 3.6% (+3.6)

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 7h7 hours ago
    Chudleigh (Teignbridge):
    LDEM: 51.5% (+38.8)
    CON: 35.6% (+2.8)
    UKIP: 6.7% (+6.7)
    LAB: 6.1% (-8.8)
    Ind(s) and Grn didn't stand this time.

Blackdown (Taunton Deane) result:
    LDEM: 71.2% (+49.9)
    CON: 22.5% (-30.4)
    IND: 6.3% (+6.3)
    Other Ind and Grn didn't stand this time round.

Moreton Hall (St Edmundsbury) result:
    IND: 56.0% (+22.4)
    CON: 21.7% (-22.1)
    LDEM: 10.4% (+10.4)
    LAB: 7.2% (-15.4)
    UKIP: 4.8% (+4.8)

Welshpool Llanerchyddol (Powys) result:
    IND: 48.9% (+48.9)
    LDEM: 32.1% (-17.7)
    CON: 19.1% (+19.1)

Leven, Kennoway & Largo (Fife) result:
    SNP: 37.0% (-4.1)
    LAB: 28.4% (-6.9)
    CON: 18.5% (+11.7)
    LDEM: 14.3% (+4.3)
    GRN: 1.8% (+1.8)

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8h8 hours ago
    Higher Croft (Blackburn) result:
    LAB: 58.2% (+12.1)
    UKIP: 25.0% (-8.3)
    CON: 16.7% (-3.8)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383
    Plus ca change..

LDs have gone from being NOTA to then being one of the above, and now are back to NOTA as people judge that they don't pose enough of a threat actually to get into government.

It is not a good thing for the LDs.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,316
    The divergence between the pattern of actual votes in by-elections and the picture being painted by the national VI polls has never been greater. The last time I remember a pattern of local by-elections this good for the LibDems was thirty five years ago when the Lib/SDs were leading the Tories in the polls.
  • Options
    @Topping

The LibDems first priority is to avoid wipe out as the array count is reduced from 650 to 600. A recovery in local by-elections is a necessary but not sufficient condition for this.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    So a very good night for the Lib Dems, a terrible one for the Conservatives, and a poor one for Labour.

I'm amused that some on here are still loudly criticising Farron. It seems he's doing what is needed.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383
    rcs1000 said:

@Topping

The LibDems first priority is to avoid wipe out as the array count is reduced from 650 to 600. A recovery in local by-elections is a necessary but not sufficient condition for this.

I don't doubt it but they are unlikely ever to create the momentum that propelled them into government so people are more comfortable voting for them safe in that knowledge.
This discussion has been closed.