Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Night Hawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    RodCrosby said:

Just watched The King's Speech on Film4, bloody good film!

Not bad, although there really hasn't been a great film made in the past 30 years...

I know it's an obvious pick, but can I make the case for The Shawshank Redemption (1994)?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Quincel said:

RodCrosby said:

Just watched The King's Speech on Film4, bloody good film!

Not bad, although there really hasn't been a great film made in the past 30 years...

I know it's an obvious pick, but can I make the case for The Shawshank Redemption (1994)?
    Nope. Overrated maudlin drivel.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited July 2013
    21. Europe blocks "superfast" internet for 30,000 homes.

Is the answer to 21 across WIFIE?

Europe = E.

"superfast" internet = WIFI.

E blocks (blocks = limits, or goes at the end of the word) WIFI = WIFIE.

The word Wifie is dropping out of common parlance and is now only used in about 30,000 homes. I think?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2013
    Sorry for going off piste here, and excuse the pun. But the term wifie is not dropping out of use up here in Aberdeenshire stjohn, although it does have more than one meaning here. :)
    stjohn said:

21. Europe blocks "superfast" internet for 30,000 homes.

Is the answer to 21 across WIFIE?

Europe = E.

"superfast" internet = WIFI.

E blocks (blocks = limits, or goes at the end of the word) WIFI = WIFIE.

The word Wifie is dropping out of common parlance and is now only used in about 30,000 homes. I think?

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the comment fitalass. :-)

OK. One last stab at TSE's crossword clues, before I turn in.

12. Your polling station may be moving this autumn.

Is the answer to 12 across, 1898?

Your polling station = Booth. "Joseph Booth", the Welsh Rugby player moved to England in the autumn of 1898, after losing his place in the Welsh Rugby team.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    1486 comments at the time of writing. I might save them for later.
    Carola said:

tim said:

As I predicted, Dave overtakes Ed in the MORI ratings, enabling the PB Tories to rationally analyse a MORI poll for the first time in 15 months.

Of course for the last two months they believed the narrowing Labour lead with MORI was the issue.
    Oh dear, what chumps.

Anyhow it seems no one posted the biggest story of the day, whether xenophobia trumps logic in this country for the next few decades

Britain needs 7million MORE immigrants over 50 years to 'meet the cost of caring for the elderly'
    140,000 extra immigrants to the UK are needed every year until 2063
    Office for Budget Responsibility says foreign workers needed to raise tax
    George Osborne's spending cuts will be wiped out by ageing population

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2366934/Britain-needs-7million-MORE-immigrants-50-years-meet-cost-ageing-population.html#ixzz2ZKw9TO5r

The comments are brilliant.

Getting a lot of interest in the Telegraph too:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10185342/Britain-needs-millions-more-immigrants-to-reduce-strain-of-ageing-population.html

• Options
    Finally just caught up with PMQ's, and definitely an extremely strong and polished performance from David Cameron as he batted Ed Miliband out of the park. Was Cameron's retort to Ed Miliband that 'every day this country gets stronger, he gets weaker' a defining political moment in the mode of Blair's 'I lead my party, he follows his' and 'weak, weak, weak' to Major? I think it was.
  • Options
    I hope St Mary's is charging rent to the media who are camped outside.
    RobD said:
  • Options
    I guess that explains why Churchill won by a landslide in 1945 :)

Why Miliband's dismal approval ratings should worry Labour

Personal ratings are often a better predictor of the election result than voting intentions.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/07/why-milibands-dismal-approval-ratings-should-worry-labour

• Options
    Sounds like Midsomer without the murders.

They discovered who sent hate emails to a newly elected SNP councillor last year http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-23284113

it was the wife of the previous SNP Cllr defeated at the poll by the new lady

• Options
    edited July 2013
    And I see that Nick Robinson was ruling out a Conservative reshuffle, as hinted at by this anti tipster via twitter etc. :)
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Finally just caught up with PMQ's, and definitely an extremely strong and polished performance from David Cameron as he batted Ed Miliband out of the park. Was Cameron's retort to Ed Miliband that 'every day this country gets stronger, he gets weaker' a defining political moment in the mode of Blair's 'I lead my party, he follows his' and 'weak, weak, weak' to Major? I think it was.

Seeing as I doubt more than 5% of the population at most either noticed these 'moments' when they happen or afterwards, I doubt it.
  • Options
    I doubt that Blair had any bigger an audience for his PMQ's, but the fact that his comments resonated as defining moments in politics on hindsight still hold weight.
    Quincel said:

fitalass said:

Seeing as I doubt more than 5% of the population at most either noticed these 'moments' when they happen or afterwards, I doubt it.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I guess that explains why Churchill won by a landslide in 1945 :)

Why Miliband's dismal approval ratings should worry Labour

Personal ratings are often a better predictor of the election result than voting intentions.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/07/why-milibands-dismal-approval-ratings-should-worry-labour

Exactly the same reason why Callaghan won by a landslide in 1979 !!
  • Options
    My point is that I doubt more than a tiny slice of the population were ever even aware of his comments, either at the time or in hindsight, means that they weren't the defining moment. The situation they summed up was what won Blair the election, his ability to state it so eloquently made almost no impact.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Mick_Pork said:

fitalass said:

Fox, brilliant. :)

It doesnt sound as if Crosby is the old school tie sort.

His Aussie brashness does seem to have fired up the tories and scared the effete Labour front bench. They don't like it up 'em.

antifrank said:

I hope tim spotted this Telegraph article on Lynton Crosby. It has a quote in it that he'd love:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10183000/Can-Lynton-Crosby-cross-the-line.html

"Ironically, it was Mr Cameron’s friend, George Osborne, who did the formalities of the negotiation and hiring, but the Australian has since supplanted the Chancellor as the driving force of the Tory campaign. “He thinks that George has many skills but couldn’t strategise his way out of a paper bag,” says a friend."

Yes, brillliant!!! :D
    'Some will say PM's fixer is racist': Top Tory attacks Cameron's chief over foul-mouthed rant at Muslims

David Cameron’s controversial new campaign chief, Lynton Crosby, was in a fresh row last night after a leading Tory peer said his foul-mouthed rant against Muslims could be seen as ‘racist’.

Former Conservative deputy chairman Lord Ashcroft told friends that outspoken Australian Mr Crosby’s remark about ‘f****** Muslims’ was a major error of judgment.

‘The danger is that other people will see it as racist,’ Lord Ashcroft was heard to comment at the Spectator magazine parliamentary awards lunch at The Savoy in London. ‘Some people may assume he means effing Muslims, effing blacks and all effing immigrants and will not appreciate that Muslim is a religion not a race.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2238039/Some-say-PMs-fixer-racist-Top-Tory-attacks-Camerons-chief-foul-mouthed-rant-Muslims.html
    Or indeed not.

Of course, it was F***ing racist !!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If Ed Miliband's or the Labour party's poll ratings continue to decline over the next few months on the back of a continued Uk economic recovery. Then Cameron's claim that 'every day this country gets stronger, he gets weaker' is going to get repeated until it does resonate. Hence my query about this being a defining comment or slogan from David Cameron.
    Quincel said:

My point is that I doubt more than a tiny slice of the population were ever even aware of his comments, either at the time or in hindsight, means that they weren't the defining moment. The situation they summed up was what won Blair the election, his ability to state it so eloquently made almost no impact.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    surbiton said:

Of course, it was F***ing racist !!

How, as Muslims aren't a race? You might as well say it's sexist, or ageist, or any other made-up rabble rousing pot-stirring compensation-seeking free speech-suppressing "ist"/"ism" that takes your fancy. Most "isms" are just words designed by the Left to silence debate.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RodCrosby on The Shawshank Redemption
    Nope. Overrated maudlin drivel.
    It gives me a strange sense of spiritual contentment that we've yet to find *anything at all* I agree with Rod Crosby on.

This discussion has been closed.