Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dave might not have been so upbeat at PMQs if this Ipsos-MO

Comments

• Options
    I'm fascinated to note Rod Crosby's swingback take on 2015. Clearly the blues will want to monster Redward from here on in. The reds will be trying to ensure he gives Dave as little ammunition as possible.

Unfortunately for the reds we see that Labour 1997-2010 is a super fruitful ground for monstering fodder and the blues are developing a hearty appetite for having a go.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2013
    Charles said:

I've never heard of L&N before.

Would be interesting - if Mike was ok - to have a thread on different models (Baxter, L&N, etc) with a view on pros and cons? Perhaps something for the summer?

Baxter does quite well on predicting seats from votes (after he tweaked his model to remove his comedy results like LDs on zero seats.)

But he, Anthony Wells, Mike, and most everyone else is looking at the wrong inputs... Opinion polls, which should be ignored, as practically worthless predictors of the result in 2015. Opinion polls only become valuable in the last few weeks (perhaps months) before polling day.

Long-range forecasts are better derived from real votes, cast by hundreds of thousands of people, such as in locals and by-elections or, as L&N have discovered, in a proxy variable (PM approval), which gives a clearer view of what people truly think of the government...

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    4/1 Tory maj big value to my eyes
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Brian Moore (@brianmoore666)
    17/07/2013 14:12
    Gay Marriage is now legal - hooray, but having had three straight ones I don't think I can afford one
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    titter

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 58s

Tory Julian Morris writes to Ed Miliband over whether he has been lobbied by ex aide and now Philip Morris PR James Barge over policy.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    TGOHF said:

titter

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 58s

Tory Julian Morris writes to Ed Miliband over whether he has been lobbied by ex aide and now Philip Morris PR James Barge over policy.

he should follow that up by asking if he'd had a conversation.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    Where is tim today?

If he's suffering from depression, he probably should not check into hospital.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,708

Where is tim today?

Hungover.. Ed's crappness is enough to drive any leftie to drink.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    ... And it is Lord Borwick (conservative) winning the by-election after 16 rounds of transfers (losing only 15% of the total votes cast in the process due to partial completion of ballots). Viscount Hailsham (him with the moat) was the runner up.

Http://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-information-office/2013/Hereditary-peers-by-election-result-July-2013.pdf

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Where is tim today?

Complete the name of this well known 70's rock outfit:

Steve Miller ****
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

... And it is Lord Borwick (conservative) winning the by-election after 16 rounds of transfers (losing only 15% of the total votes cast in the process due to partial completion of ballots). Viscount Hailsham (him with the moat) was the runner up.

Http://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-information-office/2013/Hereditary-peers-by-election-result-July-2013.pdf

4 candidates with zero votes? Is there a convention that you don't vote for yourself?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Charles said:

4 candidates with zero votes? Is there a convention that you don't vote for yourself?
    Those four peers put Eds crapness in another light. ;)

Saying that, they could have been hugely popular in terms of second-preference votes, but we will never know.
  • Options
    Must say PB has been quiet over the past hour or so. Perhaps everyone is commuting from work (where they post on PB) back home (where they also post on PB)!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. D, it's horridly hot and humid.

I'm trying to get a little work done. I imagine those able to take themselves to cooler places have done so.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2013
    Well, with Ipsos-MORI published all is now clear on the polling front.
    As clear as a cup full of mud.
    The polls are all over the place.
    I blame the Heatwave: it's a well known fact that to much heat scrambles brains.
    Its SUMMER MADNESS.
    ----------------------
    Thank god the Open golf championship opens tomorrow. I have £10 on Els who I always back and have placed £50 on Mickelson; I fancy Phil to win this one.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    RobD said:

Must say PB has been quiet over the past hour or so. Perhaps everyone is commuting from work (where they post on PB) back home (where they also post on PB)!

Naaa it's the lack of provocation. As someone said at the last DD's do every oyster needs a little **it to make a decent pearl ;-)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,740
    "The government has shelved plans to introduce a minimum price for a unit of alcohol in England and Wales."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23346532

Good.

Let the Scots test market it first.....
  • Options

"The government has shelved plans to introduce a minimum price for a unit of alcohol in England and Wales."

Good.

After the trial run of the poll tax I wonder if that is such a good idea!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    When was the last time we heard from Ed Balls?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    TGOHF said:

Where is tim today?

Complete the name of this well known 70's rock outfit:

Steve Miller ****
    No no no,

I was sure it was Sensational Alex Harvey ****

Or is that the one for Scots Nationalists?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Plato said:

Michael Gove has hit out at Labour after it emerged that at a school built while Ed Balls was Schools Minister is set to shut due to a lack of demand for places.

The £24m Christ the King Centre for Learning in Knowsley is the first of the institutions developed under Labour’s Building Schools for the Future programme to close.

The Education Secretary said: “Ed Balls’ £55 billion pound building programme was hugely wasteful and ignored the huge need for new primary school places.

“Now one of his flagship schools costing £24million is shutting just a few years after it opened. This is what Ed Balls did with education spending. Imagine what damage he will do to your tax bill if he becomes Chancellor.”

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/36086/
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Those four peers put Eds crapness in another light. ;)

Saying that, they could have been hugely popular in terms of second-preference votes, but we will never know.
    I feel sorry for the peer with only 1 vote...

Now everyone knows he has no friends ;-)
  • Options
    "Dave might not have been so upbeat at PMQs if this Ipsos-MORI poll had come out two hours earlier"

Why not? It was accurately predicted on here, well in advance of PMQ's, what questions Ed would lead with. Ed has backed himself into a corner with his policy free zone and Cameron has the ammunition and the ability to use it to effectively neutralize any attack that Ed can launch. Cameron would have been perfectly content going into the chamber if this had been released in time for him to read.

Now is the time for Ed to start stating what he is for, rather than against. He's going to be absolutely trashed nearer the election unless he starts to rehearse some of his policies now to see how they are recieved by the public. The preferred option, of some on here, of keeping quiet until the last moment (IOS) is looking more and more wrong as the days progress.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

That's not a hand grenade, it's not even a rabbit.

The last IPCC report was up front about the uncertainties in mass loss from the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, so they left them out completely from their projections of 21st century sea level rise.

On sea level rise - without the contribution from ice sheets - the consensus is very clear: sea levels will continue to rise as heat penetrates the deep oceans and mountain glaciers melt.
    Not so. The IPCC report excluded the scaled up accelerated ice loss from their sea level calculations but included the standard predicted rate of loss.

You can see the graphs and discussion here:

http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/ch10s10-6-5.html

More importantly both the Register article and the original paper from Nature Geoscience make it clear that their argument is not with the IPCC but with the claims of alarmists that there will be accelerated sea level rise. So you are making rather a straw man of this as a means of deflecting from a finding that clearly you find difficult to stomach.
    Ah, okay, so AR4 left out the potential contribution from an acceleration of the mass loss from the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. My mistake.

I still think my main point stands - the study in Nature Geoscience is a no change on the existing IPCC consensus, with the [excellent] GRACE satellites not yet providing enough data. No-one would have expected that ten years worth of data would be enough to detect acceleration, so this is not a surprise either.

I have no difficulty with the finding, I'm just pointing out that it isn't a "hand grenade".
    My 'hand grenade' phrase referred to the angry conversations that occur when such reports are mentioned on here, one way or the other. :-)

It's like mentioning a report that shows Scotland will return to the stone age, or be a land of milk and honey, if they vote for independence.
  • Options

The preferred option, of some on here, of keeping quiet until the last moment (IOS) is looking more and more wrong as the days progress.

Ed is like Buddha (sic)

The Zen approach to policy making is to examine the blank sheet of paper and wait for the policies to form upon it...
  • Options
    Blimey - closing?! That's appalling waste of money.
    Scott_P said:

Plato said:

Michael Gove has hit out at Labour after it emerged that at a school built while Ed Balls was Schools Minister is set to shut due to a lack of demand for places.

The £24m Christ the King Centre for Learning in Knowsley is the first of the institutions developed under Labour’s Building Schools for the Future programme to close.

The Education Secretary said: “Ed Balls’ £55 billion pound building programme was hugely wasteful and ignored the huge need for new primary school places.

“Now one of his flagship schools costing £24million is shutting just a few years after it opened. This is what Ed Balls did with education spending. Imagine what damage he will do to your tax bill if he becomes Chancellor.”

• Options
    RobD said:

Good.

After the trial run of the poll tax I wonder if that is such a good idea!
    This time its their idea......in any case, not sure the Rates revaluation that would have happened instead of the community charge would have been popular either....

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Tbh, I'm mystified why Labour is pursuing this. Not a vote winner with current supporters or potential ones.

If someone needs a bootle of vodka or so many cans of cheap cider per day, they buy that first and use whatever they have left over for food etc.

Also, because someone drinks cheaper types of drink, it does not necessarily mean they have a problem with alcohol.

Good.

• Options
    Plato said:

Blimey - closing?! That's appalling waste of money.

Scott_P said:

Plato said:

This sort of thing will always happen; it is extremely difficult to predict demand, especially in local areas subject to changing populations, emigration and immigration. I'm not surprised it happened, and it'll happen again.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'This is what Ed Balls did with education spending. Imagine what damage he will do to your tax bill if he becomes Chancellor.”

Polls or no polls, there is undoubtedly a new mood of confidence in tory ranks. And, for the first time since I can remember, real aggression.
  • Options

Tbh, I'm mystified why Labour is pursuing this. Not a vote winner with current supporters or potential ones.

Good.

I think Labour are keen the government pursues it - for the reasons you mention.....expect much wailing about 'being in the pockets of big booze', followed by a deafening silence when asked if they'd do it....

This 'deck clearing' (or barnacle scraping) appears to be gathering pace - two potentially unpopular policies kicked into the long grass in one week.....

• Options
    @RichardBenyonMP
    Just 18 Labour MPs in Chamber for its own debate on NHS. Burnham looking very unloved by his own side
  • Options
    Brendan O'Neill is hot. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100226726/when-it-comes-to-finger-wagging-at-teenage-mums-and-other-moral-miscreants-labour-beats-the-tories-every-single-time/

"...If there is any difference at all between Labour and the Tories on the haranguing-poor-people front, it's that Labour's haranguing was worse...Certain Tories' proposals to put teem mums in hostels and limit what welfare benefits they receive are driven largely by financial considerations. It's mean-spirited, yes, not to mention daft (how much money do teen mums really use up?), but that's about it. Labour, by contrast, genuinely believed it had a moral duty to correct the antics of these fallen women of Britain's council estates. It pumped £60m – £60m! – into a Teenage Pregnancy Unit, which lectured teenage boys against having sex and peered into the the "family circumstances" of those at risk of becoming teen mums.

It contrasted teen mums against what Blair called "the decent majority". Blair also described his crusade against the scourge of teen motherhood as "tak[ing] a lead in defining a new moral purpose [for Britain]". Okay, so some Tories are bashing teen mums in an attempt to save cash; but Labour did the same in a vainglorious effort to save souls. Labour is scarier than the Tories because it really believes it has the right, and ability, to save the little people from their own dumb, junk-food-guzzling, non-condom-wearing selves.

So, if we're going to talk about the use of welfare payments, or the threatened trimming of welfare payments, to reshape the blob-like masses' behaviour, then let's talk about Labour. And whatever you do, dear reader, do not say that Labour's recent pontificating on the antics of teen mums and other morally lax tearaways was just a Blairite blip in the party's otherwise honourable track record of leaving folk alone or helping them when they need it. Right from its early days Labour used welfare payments, and welfare withdrawal, to try to control the throng..."
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,708
    taffys said:

'This is what Ed Balls did with education spending. Imagine what damage he will do to your tax bill if he becomes Chancellor.”

Polls or no polls, there is undoubtedly a new mood of confidence in tory ranks. And, for the first time since I can remember, real aggression.

Something which should have happened a long time ago.

Labour and their minions are terrified of it. That's why the 'get Crosby' message has gone out hard and fast.

The current labour strategy is based on the economy being crap, and the sell by date is passing on that, and they have nothing at all to replace it with.
  • Options

If someone needs a bootle of vodka or so many cans of cheap cider per day, they buy that first and use whatever they have left over for food etc.

Also, because someone drinks cheaper types of drink, it does not necessarily mean they have a problem with alcohol.

Good.

"Let the Scots test market it first....."

Exactly what the government is proposing with blank cigarette packets, except it is the Australians testing it.

As for tobacco, figure 1 in (1) shows that tobacco sales have been falling for a while now, mainly due to regulatory changes (the common market and the price escalator). Whether that equates to less usage (the fag trip abroad and the black market) is another matter.

Have there been any studies showing the effect of the ban on smoking in public places?

On a similar topic, I was just chatting to a 17-year old youth down the local (the joys of home working). He had a stroke a few months ago whilst bench-pressing, and the doctors claimed his intake of Red Bull and other energy drinks had not helped...

(1): http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/research/cig-consumption-uk.pdf
  • Options

taffys said:

Labour and their minions are terrified of it. That's why the 'get Crosby' message has gone out hard and fast.

The current labour strategy is based on the economy being crap, and the sell by date is passing on that, and they have nothing at all to replace it with.
    That's what I keep telling Mr Pole. Much better to stop the mindless ramping and watch Labour flounder in a policy free vacuum with a shot fired across their bows every so often.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Not a great day for Ed M it seems but at least young Owen saved the NHS with a trending tweet.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

taffys said:

I think you misread the Labour mood? MPs are in holiday mode, and non-MPs but would-be candidates are quietly confident. Tory aggression as a substitute for actually governing competently is a very good way of driving up our turnout - it's reminiscent of the good old "Are you thinking what we're thinking" days, but without the excuse that they're not in government. We will win a cut-throat fight - what would be more difficult is if people decided that the government was actually really good at something.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,695
    edited July 2013
    Two new Bundestag polls:

GMS:

CDU/CSU: 41%
    FDP: 5%
    --------------------
    SPD: 25%
    Green: 13%
    Linke: 7%
    --------------------
    Pirates: 2%
    AfD: 2%
    Others: 4%

Forsa:

--------------------
    SPD: 23%
    Green: 14%
    Linke: 8%
    --------------------
    Others: 7%

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm
  • Options

taffys said:

I think you misread the Labour mood? MPs are in holiday mode, and non-MPs but would-be candidates are quietly confident. Tory aggression as a substitute for actually governing competently is a very good way of driving up our turnout - it's reminiscent of the good old "Are you thinking what we're thinking" days, but without the excuse that they're not in government. We will win a cut-throat fight - what would be more difficult is if people decided that the government was actually really good at something.

Ho ho Nick, and through it all Burnham struggles in his debate while the holiday mood Labourites leave him high and dry. And what were Labour ever good at except wasting money ?
  • Options
    Ouch http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/07/pmqs-sketch-cigarettes-and-alcohol-and-lynton-crosby/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pmqs-sketch-cigarettes-and-alcohol-and-lynton-crosby

"...Labour’s backbenches returned to Lynton Crosby. Questioner after questioner tried to depict the PM as Mr Crosby’s corporate puppet. They failed because the format of PMQs is hopeless at exposing insincere or dishonest replies. The ramshackle and near-mutinous atmosphere allowed Cameron to turn every Crosby missile into an attack on Labour’s union links and the influence of Len McCluskey. Not that this stopped Labour from trying. Clearly they were under orders from the top to promote the Crosby connection.

Miliband’s hope is that Crosby will make Miliband more attractive to the people who’d vote for Miliband anyway. (Strange ploy but it’s all Ed’s got for now). Labour members would regard Crosby as a major sleazebag even if he weren’t a Tory consultant. He’s Australian and therefore optimistic; he’s a proven electoral winner; and he hobnobs with wealthy businessfolk. These values – prosperity, professional success and a positive outlook – belong to New Labour. And Miliband is on a bizarre mission to purge his Blairite past and to pursue the scorched-earth, core-vote strategy that worked so badly for Gordon Brown.

For Ed, the upside is that Crosby is unlikely to break his vow of silence and acquire a public profile. And as long as he remains unknown, his value as a hate-figure is infinite. With McCluskey the opposite is true. He rushes towards the cameras like a kid making for a candy-floss van. With each appearance he becomes more ridiculous and less threatening. After two weeks on our TV screens he’s emerged as a gobby but innocuous spiv with a cheese-grater voice and a set of political opinions that belong to the Teasmade era. Even his beer-gut looks a bit 1970s..."

• Options
    edited July 2013
    LOL Burnham now blaming Lynton Crosby for NHS failings. Bizarre.

Edit : and now he's back on to it's not fair.
  • Options

taffys said:

Have you seen the economic and employment figures? It's easy to argue (although it is arguable) that this government is governing competently, and on a very sticky wicket. Especially when you compare us to many European countries.

As for aggression: the get-Crosby line from Labour is about as aggressive as it gets. Sod the truth: just smear to try to get a good headline. Especially when this government (not the taxis-for-hire one you were a part of) is the one bringing in a much -needed lobbying bill.

As Labour have few, if any policies (and u-turn on the ones they do have), all they really have is aggression.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Andy_JS said:

Two new Bundestag polls:

GMS:

--------------------
    SPD: 25%
    Green: 13%
    Linke: 7%
    --------------------
    AfD: 2%
    Others: 4%

Forsa:

--------------------
    SPD: 23%
    Green: 14%
    Linke: 8%
    --------------------
    Others: 7%

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm

There is also INSA
    CDU/CSU 38%
    FDP 5%

SPD 26%
    Green 15%
    Linke 8%

Pirates 2%
    AFD 3%
    Others 3%
  • Options
    We will win a cut-throat fight -

Three months ago I would have agreed with you hands down.

Now, I'm not so sure.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    Bond_James_Bond

'Where is tim today?'

It's his monthly date at Jobcentre Plus.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    One of the things about Cameron is that he's at his best when his back is against the wall and he's at his worst when he's brimming with confidence.

Remember his wonderful performance in Oxtober 2007 when Brown was dithering over an election while LAB had double digit poll leads.

It will be interesting to see how voters respond to the new Tory hyper-agression
  • Options

WTF?
  • Options
    It's amazing how wise Burnham is after the event, shame he wasn't at the time.

• Options

It's a quite remarkable performance.
  • Options

I've had my curiosity piqued and now watching - its painful viewing for Labour.
  • Options
    One thing's for sure - Crosby will continue to be the story.

• Options

The tories have turned one of Labour's more capable and ambitious ministers into a grease spot.

The labour party resembles an international cricket dressing room when the team goes from 230 for one to 250 for four. An undignified scramble for pads and boxes and a setting of jaws.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,695
    edited July 2013
    I wonder whether AfD might be closer to the 5% threshold than the polls are currently recording. In Germany a lot of people are still embarrassed about admitting to being anti-European and it may be that there's a bit of a spiral of silence as regards support for AfD. So instead of being on 3% they could be on 4-5%.
  • Options
    Plato said:

WTF?
    It now seems he wants us to shovel a bank collapse load of cash into the NHS - no idea of where it is to come to just the usual spend more.
  • Options
    Keep on saying this to yourself - the Tories can NEVER win on the NHS

Best strategy is to shut up.
    taffys said:

The tories have turned one of Labour's more capable and ambitious ministers into a grease spot.

The labour party resembles an international cricket dressing room when the team goes from 230 for one to 250 for four. An undignified scramble for pads and boxes and a setting of jaws.

• Options
    taffys said:

That only 18 Labour MPs turned out in this *show of confidence* in Burnham speaks volumes. It's their emergency debate on Keogh FFS.
  • Options

Ed has shot his load

@SkyNewsBreak
    Ed Miliband writes to Cabinet Sec with concerns on lobbyist & Downing St adviser Lynton Crosby's influence on Govt tobacco packaging policy

When the Cab Sec says no, Ed will be left empty handed
  • Options
    I'm only just started following her tweets - some interesting stuff

Julie Bailey @curetheNHS
    @Toryhealth @andyburnhammp tactic was to fob us off with a independent inquiry which scuppered our chances of a judicial review against him
  • Options

Takes me back to the eighties and labour's obsession with the Saatchis.

• Options
    taffys said:

Lord Ashcroft has already complained that he got fewer mentions at PMQs than Lynton Crosby
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited July 2013
    Crosby is the Latvian Homophobes all over again. Something Labour activists, LibDems and assorted Guardianistas think is a huge story, but which is actually of precisely zero interest to anyone else.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Off topic, the Guardian's cif has a very odd article about sign-offs for emails:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/17/email-sign-off-etiquette

I was taught that you should only use anything with "regards" in or "best wishes" for someone that you'd actually met.

Otherwise, I usually write the body of the email and end with my name, with no intervening sign-off.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

taffys said:

Lord Ashcroft has already complained that he got fewer mentions at PMQs than Lynton Crosby

LOL
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Exactly this. The Tories need to just shut up about the NHS now. Labour have trashed their reputation and now won't be able to campaign on it, but neither should the Tories. It is now going to be one of those policy areas that voters will trust neither party on.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited July 2013

Remember his wonderful performance in Oxtober 2007 when Brown was dithering over an election while LAB had double digit poll leads.

Remember also that Ed Balls and wee Dougie were running around the media talking up an early election for all it's worth.

Bit of a mistake wasn't it?

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder whether AfD might be closer to the 5% threshold than the polls are currently recording. In Germany a lot of people are still embarrassed about admitting to being anti-European and it may be that there's a bit of a spiral of silence as regards support for AfD. So instead of being on 3% they could be on 4-5%.

What evidence have you got that there are a lot of Germans embarrassed about admitting they are anti European ?

• Options

I know, and I have been the first to point out that all conservative offensives to date have met with utter failure in the polls on the NHS.

The whole idea, I guess, is the narrow the gap.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @RichardNabavi Just wait till they find out about this:

http://www.pmi.com/marketpages/pages/market_en_lv.aspx

I'm unclear, however, whether Lynton Crosby has directly been involved in selling cigarettes to Latvians, or whether any of them are homophobes. But no doubt Owen Jones is on the case already.
  • Options
    I really don't understand what Andy Burnham thinks he's gaining from this or his many media outings since Saturday.

Given I didn't really mind him up to now, he's managed to sound toddlerish, self-righteous, feel-sorry-for-me and complained at length about evil Tories playing politics when he's done precisely that himself ad nauseum. And to top it off, he's barely mentioned the actual patients affected by it all.

He'd have been better advised to shut up - as I said the other day - he'd never have acted like this over Hillsborough.
  • Options
    @TelePolitics
    Twitter has spoken: the PM gave Ed M a shoeing this morning http://bit.ly/1dEXzHb
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    'The Tories can never win on the NHS" Maybe they just want it to become efficient and stop killing its client base.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

What evidence have you got that there are a lot of Germans embarrassed about admitting they are anti European ?

from FAZ this am. EU becoming more popular but still in negative territory by 2-1. CDU seen as most pro-EU.

The opinions are like the DT meets germans.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/europaeische-union/
  • Options
    Crosby is becoming the story only in the panic stricken world of Labour ..this fella is eating them for breakfast
  • Options
    edited July 2013

But the tea party tories think having communications and strategy chief Crosby as the story
    is no big deal and when have they ever been wrong?

LOL

LINK PROVIDED. :)
    David Cameron told to sack strategy chief over link to tobacco giants

Lynton Crosby must go, urges former Lib Dem health minister, as cross-party anger grows over U-turn on cigarettes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/13/david-cameron-lynton-crosby-tobacco
  • Options
    john_zims said:

Bond_James_Bond

'Where is tim today?'

Wrong. :)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

from FAZ this am. EU becoming more popular but still in negative territory by 2-1. CDU seen as most pro-EU.

Yes but are those people anti European embarrassed that they are ?

• Options
    Hollande is a blueprint for Ed...

@ITVLauraK
    Fitch downgrades major French banks including Credit Agricole and Societe Generale
  • Options

Crosby is becoming the story only in the panic stricken world of Labour ..this fella is eating them for breakfast

No, they are eating themselves.

Why on earth did Ed not ask about something sensible and of interest to voters, such as the fact that earnings haven't kept up with inflation?
  • Options
    You are totally wrong.

This is not going to go away - Sarah Woolaston will see to that.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes but are those people anti European embarrassed that they are ?

quite obviously not. The biggest sceptics will be working germans ( Bild readers) and particularist Bavarians. Germans tend not to be backward about coming forward.
  • Options

You are totally wrong.

Given your political leanings - I'm not sure the Tories would be wise to follow your advice ';^ )
  • Options
    Yes indeed.

A bit??
    Mick_Pork said:

Remember also that Ed Balls and wee Dougie were running around the media talking up an early election for all it's worth.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    OGH. We will see..you will be proved wrong. Crosby will eviscerate the Labour Party, he knows what he is doing, and they know it, but carry on with your wishful thinking..
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Interesting stat, if correct: Frank Dobson claims that a typical GP will only come across 1.5 cases of meningitis in a 35 year career.
  • Options

You are totally wrong.

with a 4000 majority there's only so far you will undermine your own reelection chances.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Off topic, the Guardian's cif has a very odd article about sign-offs for emails:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/17/email-sign-off-etiquette

I was taught that you should only use anything with "regards" in or "best wishes" for someone that you'd actually met.

Otherwise, I usually write the body of the email and end with my name, with no intervening sign-off.

An entire article that does not mention the proper term: 'valediction'. What is the Guardian coming to?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valediction#English

The salutation goes at the start:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salutation_(greeting)

The rules vary somewhat by country, and the email age has really confused things. But I use rules similar to the following:
    http://www.dailywritingtips.com/yours-faithfully-or-yours-sincerely/

Having said that, people who take offence at the incorrect salutation or valediction (as opposed to title or name) in informal documents really need to get a reality check.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Yes indeed.

A bit??

Mick_Pork said:

Understatement Mike, understatement. ;)

I see Hodges took as little time to jump back into his 'Ed is crap' comfort zone as I predicted after his brief infatuation.
    Murdo Fraser ‏@murdo_fraser 22h

Ed Miliband is crap, says Dan Hodges: http://bit.ly/10YCrsR
    *chortle*

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited July 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

john_zims said:

Bond_James_Bond

'Where is tim today?'

Wrong. :)
    Atos benefits assessment or Wrexham Cattle Market?

*snigger*
  • Options
    I haven't seen much discussion of Clegg's primary school policy about grading kids - it seems to be getting rather a lot of flack in the media.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,328
    Good moaning! I was bruising the threads and I brung you a massage. It licks like the Loobour Party had a torrible PooMQs!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    I think it dangerous and bad for politics for political parties to have matters which are off limits. The Tories may not win on the NHS but they have a perfect right to make sure that, when matters go wrong, as they have done, they are put right and to make the changes they think are necessary.

The NHS is not - and should not be - the private plaything of one political party. It's our health we are talking about and I - for one - want a health system that works for me and the rest of the population. Whether it helps or harms Labour or the Tories or any other party is of no concern, indeed, is monumentally trivial and self-regarding.

It's that attitude by Labour - the idea that because they "love" the NHS (as if the idea of loving a particular organisational structure isn't itself peculiar and a tad sinister - as opposed to loving the idea of what it provides - good quality care free at the point of use, whatever the structure) they and the NHS should therefore be immune to criticism which is so off-putting.

Good intentions are not the best way of assessing whether a particular course of action is good, wise or sensible. Labour's approach is to say that they have the best intentions on the NHS ergo we should trust them regardless of the outcome. I'd rather rely on the outcomes to determine whether a policy is any good or not.
  • Options

The Tories are being very Karl Rove with this. The importance is long-term. The importance is the next election. This is framing the argument for the election campaign. If Labour goes with "only we can save the NHS", "only x days to save the NHS" the rebuttal is there in the wider consciousness. If Labour put up Andy Burnham he's the guy who oversaw and covered - up NHS scandals. If Andy Burnham is sacked Labour imply his culpability. Either way Labour has a fight and has to put greater resources into the NHS part of their campaign which weakens their other fronts. This makes it good strategy.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Government lobbying proposals published. Time to play spot the booby traps

"Introduce a statutory register of lobbyists to identify whose interests were being represented by consultant lobbyists and those who were paid to lobby on behalf of a third party

Set a £390,000 cap on the amount any organisation - excluding political parties - could spend across the UK during elections

Set limits for organisations that campaign for or against a specific party or target their spending at a particular constituency

End self-certification of union membership numbers for all but the smallest unions

Enable an independent certification officer to check records and take enforcement action if necessary"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23346037
  • Options

If Labour put up Andy Burnham he's the guy who oversaw and covered - up NHS scandals. If Andy Burnham is sacked Labour imply his culpability. Either way Labour has a fight and has to put greater resources into the NHS part of their campaign which weakens their other fronts. This makes it good strategy.

Yesterday, Jeremy Hunt mentioned patients 19 times in his speech. Andy Burnham mentioned them twice.

This is the battle they think they can win. Labour are on the side of the producers, Tories on the side of patients.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Cyclefree said:

The NHS is not - and should not be - the private plaything of one political party. It's our health we are talking about and I - for one - want a health system that works for me and the rest of the population. .

Well said. Labour failed to properly regulate the Banks, failed to regulate the newspapers, failed to control the police and failed to regulate MP expenses. Its no surprise that they messed up the NHS as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Cyclefree said:

Well said. Dan Hannan has a rather pertinent piece making your point.

"Three years ago, at the very moment that he was presiding over the abominations at Mid Staffs – and, as we now know, several other hospitals – Andy Burnham, then Health Secretary, was calling me ‘unpatriotic’ for pointing out the poor performance of the NHS in international league tables.

I mention it, not to have a go at the poor fellow – the rest of the country is already doing that – but to explore the connection between the tendency to shout down any criticism of the NHS and the number of British hospitals which are, as the Keogh Report put it, ‘trapped in mediocrity’ ...For a fair chunk of the British Left, a state-run NHS is beyond criticism. It is not a question on which different parties may reasonably disagree (‘Stop treating the NHS like a political football!’) Rather, it is seen, as in Andy Burnham’s formulation, or in Danny Boyle’s Olympic opening ceremony, as a test of patriotism. The same people who are quick to deplore the sentiment ‘my country right or wrong’ often take precisely such an attitude to the NHS.

...The trouble is that a general attachment to the status quo has been twisted into a vicious, even violent, intolerance of any suggested alternative. When I pointed out that the NHS fared badly by most international comparisons three years ago, my since-deceased mother was harassed by Left-wing journalists. I suppose I should be grateful that her grave has not been vandalized – as happened to the mother of the woman who drew attention to the barbarities in Mid Staffs.

That, thank Heaven, was an isolated case. But listen to the language habitually used by those opposed to change. Consider the shrill, shouty way in which Labour MPs behaved in the House of Commons during the Health Secretary’s statement yesterday. A foreign observer would not have believed that this was a legislature assembled to debate tragic and unnecessary deaths.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100226912/by-howling-down-all-criticism-those-who-think-theyre-defending-the-nhs-are-making-it-mediocre/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This is the battle they think they can win. Labour are on the side of the producers, Tories on the side of patients.

I'm not sure they think it's a battle they can win, but it's a battle they need to fight in order to reduce the advantage Labour (inexplicably, given their record) gets from it.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    AlanBrooke

What Sarah is doing makes it far far more likely she will get elected. We all know the Tory brand is trash so winning votes on a personal level is what will keep her in.

The only two Tories I would vote for are her and Zac.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    On topic.

Great poll for Labour and Ed. Three 11% lead polls this week despite a rocky time.
This discussion has been closed.