Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @rcs1000

Though we had corruption long before we ever had a boom ;) I recently read a book about the history of corruption in Ireland since independence. It was a long book :(
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    Sun Politics Tweets: "YouGov/Sun poll tonight: CON 32%, LAB 38%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 12%. It's smaller than 6 months ago, but Lab still have a 6 point lead."

Cue posts 'Tory vote collapses from ICM poll'....
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Right. I know you've all been eagerly awaiting an update on my royal baby name bettings, so after a decent few days trading my net position is now:

Alexandra +-£0

Dorothy, Edith, Constance or Olivia +~£300

Any other girls name +£705

Any boys name = +£608

TBH, I'd rather have not greened out on my 'alexandra' lays but needed my float for other more profitable purposes. The name is still way overpriced IMO, even at 3/1. I've traded enough novelty markets to have a decent hunch of whether insider money is flooding in - and I think the royal baby name market (at least) is largely clean. Of course, I may be wrong.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    rcs1000 said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Just when the Spanish economy looked to be turning he is caught with his hands in the till.

They've all had their hands in the till though so they will let him carry on as PM for a while yet. The court case is better than pro wrestling though. And I used to think Ireland was the most corrupt country in western Europe...
    Construction booms, excessive leverage and corruption tend to go hand in hand. (See Ireland, Cyprus and Spain)
    It is when you add golf to construction booms and excessive leverage that corruption really takes hold.

It is why UKIP is so dangerous.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Sun Politics Tweets: "YouGov/Sun poll tonight: CON 32%, LAB 38%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 12%. It's smaller than 6 months ago, but Lab still have a 6 point lead."

Everything pointing to a narrowing gap.

We could dismiss ICM as an early swallow but sumer is icumen in.

• Options
    Pong said:

Right. I know you've all been eagerly awaiting an update on my royal baby name bettings, so after a decent few days trading my net position is now:

Alexandra +-£0

Any boys name = +£608

TBH, I'd rather have not greened out on my 'alexandra' lays but needed my float for other more profitable purposes. The name is still way overpriced IMO, even at 3/1. I've traded enough novelty markets to have a decent hunch of whether insider money is flooding in - and I think the royal baby name market (at least) is largely clean. Of course, I may be wrong.

How are you going to handle the stream of names given to Royals. Often the name used in public is not the first listed and neither is it the name used by the family, e.g. David for Edward VIII?

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I was just complaining about a lack of scrutiny in Scotland last night, go figure.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399

@DPJHodges

NHS debate again exposing how Labour does tactics not strategy. By my count just committed to hire about 2 million additional nurses
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    AveryLP said:

You forget about the Rowena boom that Labour will benefit from shortly.
  • Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

You forget about the Rowena boom that Labour will benefit from shortly.
    Don't worry, Neil.

I have ring-fenced Rowenna.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    edited July 2013
    surbiton said:

Peter Kellner: "If we compare YouGov and ICM on a like-with-like basis, the differences are not that great. We have Labour on 40% and the Conservatives on 31%. ICM’s ‘raw’ numbers are Labour 38%, Conservatives 33%."

Had ICM reported a five point lead, its poll would have passed virtually unnoticed. But, as usual, it made two adjustments. First, it counted only those whom they think will actually vote. Its Labour respondents were less likely than its Tory respondents to say they will actually vote. By adjusting for this, ICM reduced Labour’s lead from five points to two: 37-35%.

ICM then made a further adjustment. It looked at those respondents who said “don’t know”. Using information about how these people say they voted last time, ICM reckoned that this group contained more people who would, in practice, vote Conservative than Labour. This adjustment brought the two parties level, at 36% each."

I would like to make one more adjustment which ICM did not make. If all Labour voters thus reduced voted Tory, then the poll result will be: 72 - 0. Tory landslide ! But given the Tory organisation, I wouldn't bet on it.

Kellner may raise eyebrows at ICM, but the fact is, ICM's "adjustments" is what have made them so successful - And why for general elections they are regarded as the "gold standard" pollster.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

Pong said:

Alexandra +-£0

Any boys name = +£608

How are you going to handle the stream of names given to Royals. Often the name used in public is not the first listed and neither is it the name used by the family, e.g. David for Edward VIII?

For me, what's important is that betfair are clear in their rules, and they are - "This market will be settled on the exact spelling of the first given name. Any selection that does not exactly match the name in the official announcement will be settled as a loser."

Still room for argument if they name it "U V W X Y Z Cambridge" (presumably?), then announce to the world as "prince/princess W of Cambridge" But more of a problem for bookies than for me.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,025
    edited July 2013
    The Today programme will be fun from now on, with Mishal Husain joining John Humphreys. Humphreys asked Husain on Mastermind a few years ago whether she only got her job as a BBC newsreader because of her good looks.
  • Options
    {I'll post this again in case anyone missed it earlier}:

Forthcoming Labour selections:

18th July: South Ribble
    20th July: Battersea
    20th July: Brighton Pavilion
    20th July: Erewash
    21st July: Croydon Central
    21st July: Gravesham
    25th July: Morecambe & Lunesdale
    26th July: Burnley
    26th July: Lancaster & Fleetwood
    26th July: Norfolk South
    26th July: Thanet South
    27th July: Amber Valley
    27th July: Blackpool North
    27th July: Cambridgeshire SE
    27th July: Chelmsford
    27th July: Leeds NW
    27th July: Rochford & Southend East
    28th July: Forest of Dean
    28th July: Norfolk North
    28th July: Sittingbourne & Sheppey
    3rd August: Broxtowe
    10th August: Huntingdon
    19th August: Edinburgh West
    1st September: Dumfriesshire
    1st September: Finchley & Golders Green
    1st September: Rossendale & Darwen
    2nd September: Dunbartonshire East
    5th September: Chippenham
    7th September: Argyll & Bute
    7th September: Carmarthen West
    7th September: St Ives
    8th September: Elmet & Rothwell
    8th September: Pudsey
    15th September: Pendle
  • Options
    It's going to be tough sleeping in the London area tonight with the temperature not dropping below 21 degrees:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    surbiton said:

Peter Kellner: "If we compare YouGov and ICM on a like-with-like basis, the differences are not that great. We have Labour on 40% and the Conservatives on 31%. ICM’s ‘raw’ numbers are Labour 38%, Conservatives 33%."

Had ICM reported a five point lead, its poll would have passed virtually unnoticed. But, as usual, it made two adjustments. First, it counted only those whom they think will actually vote. Its Labour respondents were less likely than its Tory respondents to say they will actually vote. By adjusting for this, ICM reduced Labour’s lead from five points to two: 37-35%.

ICM then made a further adjustment. It looked at those respondents who said “don’t know”. Using information about how these people say they voted last time, ICM reckoned that this group contained more people who would, in practice, vote Conservative than Labour. This adjustment brought the two parties level, at 36% each."

I would like to make one more adjustment which ICM did not make. If all Labour voters thus reduced voted Tory, then the poll result will be: 72 - 0. Tory landslide ! But given the Tory organisation, I wouldn't bet on it.

TBF the Kellner write-up makes the adjustment they do with the don't-know voters sound a bit arbitrary, but if it's their normal "half the don't knows will probably do what they did last time" it's quite plausible, and has shown good results in the past.

The other side of this is that Labour probably shouldn't worry too much about certainty to vote dropping off a bit. They're doing some necessary things - lowering expectations, cleaning out positions that won't stand up in the general election, slapping around the unions to reassure centrists who are worried they have too much power - that will tend to demotivate the core. They should be able to get them to perk up as the election gets closer and the discussion focuses on the two or three symbolic things that they'll end up arguing with the Tories about in the campaign.
  • Options
    @edmundintokyo

How long have you been living in Tokyo now, IYDMMA?
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342

Dissagree completely.

The Tories can never win on the NHS and all today has done is lead to accusations that it is playing politics with what has become almost a religion.

Best strategy is shut up and talk about the economy or an area where it is strong.

I'm begninning to wonder if Crosby is applying an Oz template in a totally different culural environment.

currystar said:

@currystar
    In the absence of any evidence to the contrary the NHS remains a good issue for LAB and the LDs while a bad issue for the Tories.

The best strategy for the blues is to focus on areas where it is perceived to be strong where it has a message that resonates.

Surely the most important thing for the tories to try and do is resolve the problems with the NHS, which they are trying to do.

This situation really sums up labour for me. Throw wads of money at something and then produce statistics to show that the results are fantastic and its all down to labour, the reality is of no importance to them, public perception is. Thats what tomorrows debate is about, they want to spend three hours blaming the tories, They don't care whether the recommendations of this report are introduced, to them its all about the blame game and they have to persuade the public its the tories fault. Simple.
    I agree that Crosby should have learned from Oz approach and not copied things which short term look ok but long term come back to bite. "It's the polls and focus group results" is not always an answer.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Andy_JS said:

@edmundintokyo

How long have you been living in Tokyo now, IYDMMA?

Must be something like 17 years in Japan.
This discussion has been closed.