Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lib Dems could be making a massive mistake claiming they’r

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lib Dems could be making a massive mistake claiming they’re on target to win Richmond Park tomorrow

The Guardian

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    First, like the unlovely Zak?
  • Options
    Mahoosive mistake.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Terrible expectations management.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    edited November 2016

Mahoosive mistake.

possibly not

it could mean Farron gets replaced by a traffic bollard and LD chances will improve
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Eh, either way they're unlikely to win, at least maybe this way they get some bloody press, even if it is ridicule for overhyping?
  • Options
    I agree with OGH completely. It's an inexplicable move by the Lib Dems. As ever the question is Cui Bono ? And the answer is Zac.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Good expectation management by the Conservatives in Richmond . Dont stand a candidate so they can avoid finishing 3rd .
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
    So it'll be Zac by greater than 10 points then...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    I can't see how it'll damage the LDs at all. Better to be talked about than not etc. The LDs are seldom talked about.

A halfway decent showing, even if the press may point and laugh at their not winning, is massive. Coming second is big news anyway. They'll be showing re-runs of the 'Mummy's Return' all over Twickenham if that happens.

Whatever the result I'd suggest that the LD vote won't be much more than marginally positive about their current leader. Clegg and little Cleggs are what the LDs need.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited November 2016
    If those are the numbers, then those are the numbers.

But are those the numbers ?

Lib Dem commissioned

West Aberdeen and Kincardine, Hornsea and Wood Green polls were both out at GE2015...

I hope these numbers are an attempt at unvarnished truth
  • Options
    FPT: YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 1,435
    5:35PM
    May can't guarantee EU citizens their rights* here until our citizens in the EU are guaranteed theirs. Otherwise we'd be taken to the cleaners.

The EU can't do a deal on this alone and let the UK start salami slicing the negotiations or else it would be taken to the cleaners.

The reality is all ex pats on both sides are bargaining chips. Just as individuals jobs, rights and freedoms are bargaining chips. It's a negotiation about the future of people by people. Of course some of those people are bargaining chips. Pretending otherwise is ridiculous.

Any member has the sovereign right to leave so I don't " blame " the UK for this. Though as we are unilaterally withdrawing it is our responsibility. We should be honest about it. We voted for it.

*Is anyone suggesting EU citizens here should keep *all* there current rights ? Voting ? Non discrimination vis a vis UK Citizens ? Benefits ? In the later case that would be more generous than Cameron's deal which we rejected. The whole point of the referendum result was to restore our right to treat EU citizens differently than we can now. All else is bed wetting by the victors.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Agreed. I think OGH and Jr should give the LD leadership a lesson in expectation managements

It might also discourage voters....
  • Options
    Honestly, although his London campaign was disappointing to say the least in how it was conducted, I don't get the impression that Zac is inherently likable or unlikable enough for a LD to rally people to beat him. He's inoffensive, has in effect Tory backing, who won the seat big previously, so in the absence of people suddenly disliking the guy the LD chances never seemed fantastic against such a massive majority.
  • Options
    Jim Nicholson the last to lose a self-imposed by-election?
  • Options
    At some stage, any exposure is good for raising profile [says he who sent off many, many review queries]. I think this is fine for the Lib Dems. They need to remind people they aren't dead yet.
  • Options
    I predict Labour's vote holds up pretty well, such as it is.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    OMG I can now watch netflix offline. Other than Trump face planting from the top step of his jet into a pile of horseshit and hornets, today couldn't get any better*.

* I may have insufficient imagination
  • Options
    If th Lib Dems lose narrowly tommorow, then we will know that those may well have been the numbers

Sticking with +30 Lib Dem/+130 Zac odd.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The whole point of the referendum result was to restore our right to treat EU citizens differently than we can now. All else is bed wetting by the victors.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    edited November 2016

I agree with OGH completely. It's an inexplicable move by the Lib Dems. As ever the question is Cui Bono ? And the answer is Zac.

What if a huge number of people have told them they'd vote for her if she had a chance of winning? Perhaps it helps them to get those votes out.

Trump constantly talked up his polling and it didn't do him much harm.
  • Options
    I think the LDs have perhaps not adjusted their expectations since October 25th

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/25/the-richmond-park-battle-with-zac-is-an-absolutely-must-win-for-the-lds/
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

I predict Labour's vote holds up pretty well, such as it is.

Yeah in this type of constituency I should imagine the Labour voters are true believers.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Omnium said:

I can't see how it'll damage the LDs at all. Better to be talked about than not etc. The LDs are seldom talked about.

A halfway decent showing, even if the press may point and laugh at their not winning, is massive. Coming second is big news anyway. They'll be showing re-runs of the 'Mummy's Return' all over Twickenham if that happens.

Whatever the result I'd suggest that the LD vote won't be much more than marginally positive about their current leader. Clegg and little Cleggs are what the LDs need.

Even some of Geldof's reported comments today?

e.g. to Labour voters "the Lib Dems are tiny. they're not a threat to anyone"
  • Options
    I imagine thats its aimed at wavering Labour voters who may not believe that The Libdems have a real chance. All the survey does is to confirm that its too close to call.
  • Options

FPT: YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 1,435
    5:35PM
    May can't guarantee EU citizens their rights* here until our citizens in the EU are guaranteed theirs. Otherwise we'd be taken to the cleaners.

The EU can't do a deal on this alone and let the UK start salami slicing the negotiations or else it would be taken to the cleaners.

The reality is all ex pats on both sides are bargaining chips. Just as individuals jobs, rights and freedoms are bargaining chips. It's a negotiation about the future of people by people. Of course some of those people are bargaining chips. Pretending otherwise is ridiculous.

Any member has the sovereign right to leave so I don't " blame " the UK for this. Though as we are unilaterally withdrawing it is our responsibility. We should be honest about it. We voted for it.

*Is anyone suggesting EU citizens here should keep *all* there current rights ? Voting ? Non discrimination vis a vis UK Citizens ? Benefits ? In the later case that would be more generous than Cameron's deal which we rejected. The whole point of the referendum result was to restore our right to treat EU citizens differently than we can now. All else is bed wetting by the victors.

A rare point of agreement. Leaving the EU has changed everything and everything is up for negotiation. If we can agree reciprocal rights for existing migrants then that's fine, if we agree that existing migrants will have a transition deal then that's fine too, if, unlikely though it seems, existing migrants have to leave or apply for visas then so be it.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Omnium said:

Honestly, while a new leader would not have solved the issues the lDs faced come 2015, Clegg really seems tailor made to be a Coalition leader, and now recovery Leader (were he able to be taken seriously), just not for 2015 itself.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    What time are we expecting the declaration?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

What if a huge number of people have told them they'd vote for her if she had a chance of winning? Perhaps it helps them to get those votes out.

Trump constantly talked up his polling and it didn't do him much harm.
    Or maybe he would've won by even more if his supporters didn't think he was a shoo in.......
  • Options
    Evening all.

The Lib Dems claiming that they are ahead just a day before voting, rather puts them in an awkward position, should they come even a close second. Not a particularly clever move, imho.

Can’t quite put my finger on it, but there is something distinctly odd about Sarah Olney.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Can’t quite put my finger on it, but there is something distinctly odd about Sarah Olney.

She's a Lib Dem?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Even some of Geldof's reported comments today?

e.g. to Labour voters "the Lib Dems are tiny. they're not a threat to anyone"
    Yeah but the LDs have a secret weapon - we're all LDs but we haven't realised it yet. I have no idea how they manage to bugger up their consensual theme, but they do.

Actually maybe they steal the worst bits from the other parties - Labour economics and Tory care.

Clearly the stage is set for a great Liberal leader to emerge...
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Mahoosive mistake.

possibly not

it could men Farron gets relaced by a traffic bollard and LD chances will improve
    Or Norman Lamb as L.D. leader might improve on a traffic cone? Seems genuinely, er, liberal in his beliefs.

Surely liberty instead of the Nanny State must have the support of >8% of the population?
  • Options

Mahoosive mistake.

possibly not

it could men Farron gets relaced by a traffic bollard and LD chances will improve
    Or Norman Lamb as L.D. leader might improve on a traffic cone? Seems genuinely, er, liberal in his beliefs.

Surely liberty instead of the Nanny State must have the support of >8% of the population?
    You'd think so, but given the parties do leap over the political spectrum (parking their tanks, as people tend to say it now) as and when they feel it beneficial even if ideologically it can be torturous from their professed positions, whether the liberals are indeed liberal is I'd think secondary to gaining more approval as to whether they can appear credible, which is a far more intangible goal and one that may not be recognised even if you achieve it - people perceive parties one way, even if they are not particularly embodying it.
  • Options
    Eh? If LibDem/Remainers voters think their woman has won they might not bother to turn out (what is the weather forecast in Richmond tomorrow). Their leaked poll is within margin of error.

Bonkers.
  • Options

Eh? If LibDem/Remainers voters think their woman has won they might not bother to turn out (what is the weather forecast in Richmond tomorrow). Their leaked poll is within margin of error.

Bonkers.

Sunny, but cold.
  • Options
    Hindus and Sikhs not happy about the new fiver:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38160291
  • Options

Well, I've just learned how far my religious sensitivity stretches - not this far.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036
    Thinking about it, there are several lines they could take:

*) Not publicise their internal polling, but use the data (if applicable) to target GOTV.
    *) Not release the polling, but say that it's really close. Which is often said when it is not, and might get the Goldsmith vote out as well.
    *) Release the full poll data as if it was a normal BCP poll, so people can analyse it as usual.

This release information to the Guardian, but not the full information, and saying they're winning does not make much sense. For one thing, even if it's accurate it's so close that it might encourage lacklustre Goldsmith voters out who don't want a Lib Dem MP.

But the main thought: it's polling. Haven't we learnt anything yet?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well, I've just learned how far my religious sensitivity stretches - not this far.
    You can bet your bottom dollar it'd be changed if it was pork products in the note, though.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, do you mean you're a Hindu/Sikh that doesn't care about the fiver, or you're a non-Hindu/Sikh that doesn't care about the religious reaction?
  • Options

I promise I will never learn anything. Life is more interesting that way, so long as you do't worry about embarrassment at being wrong.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Do the LD's projections come from genuine but private polling or is it based on canvassing anecdata, gut feelings, etc?

I suppose if they believe they're in with this sort of chance, they'd want to announce it ahead of time to support all their other election claims - especially since the recognised pollsters haven't exactly covered themselves with glory recently.

But it is very reminiscent of the famed LD bar charts. Perhaps, just issuing numbers is trialling a departure from that established practice?

And good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    Good evening, Miss JGP.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, do you mean you're a Hindu/Sikh that doesn't care about the fiver, or you're a non-Hindu/Sikh that doesn't care about the religious reaction?

The latter. I err on the side of caution with these things, but I cannot help but think that if even touching something which has animal fat in it (or other prohibited substances) is a problem, there are probably dozens of common things they are unaware of that are the same.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, cheers for the clarification.

Be interesting to see how this goes.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I thought the Lib Dem campaign was pretty flawless until today.

Then we have claiming you're ahead and tramping around with Bob Geldof. I can only assume there's some good reason; to my simple mind these are both big risks the day before polling day.

• Options
    @Kle4 Zac's a hot DILF with excellent ecooikophillic reformist tendencies. In many ways I'd prefer him to be an MP than the smugband pixieish Ms Olney. BUT... #1 You have to understand how badly his explicitly racist Mayoral Campaign has played with small l liberal voters. It was a watershed. #2 You have to undrstand what the liberal mindset is like at the moment. BREXIT, TRUMP, TREXIT, the Golden Lift. It's like living in the Apocalypse of St John. Zac is now the Dragon and Olney is St Michael. At the moment I'm so f*cking freaked out I'd personally order a nuclear strike on Zac Goldsmith. My only regret is I can't use Balefire to erase Zac Goldsmith from the timeline for the last 7 years.

Everything is sui generis here and utterly out of proportion to whats at stake. A midterm by-election for an atypical seat perhaps for a few months only until #Mayday .
  • Options
    In the 1980s the Libs/SDP/SLDs whatever would have walked a by-election in these circumstances. They were party that didn't really stand for anything that people were going to take too great an exception to, and as such did not put off people who wanted to vote for the party best placed to give the incumbent party a good kicking as a protest. So claims that they were poised to take a seat, using the dodgiest of bar charts using spurious data, turned out to be self-fulfilling in the absence of substantive reasons not to vote "tactically".

It's a much sterner test for the LDs now, in particular because:
    1. There are still the lingering consequences that put off potential tactical voters from the left by virtue of their having allowed Cameron and Osborne to reign supreme for five years when they could at any time have pulled the plug.
    2. They have defined themselves so clearly as the most unashamedly Europhile of the political parties. With political debate still dominated by Brexit that's enough to put off many with even mildly Eurosceptic leanings (including those who may have voted Remain through gritted teeth while disliking what the EU has evolved into).

In local government by-elections, national stances that put off a significant chunk of potential support may not matter so much, but in a parliamentary by-election it probably does. Even in a context where the main opposition party is going nowhere they still cannot break out of single figures in national polls. I expect them to do respectably, but to fall significantly short on Thursday.
  • Options

This is not just any old polling, this is Lib Dem polling :D
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Then we have claiming you're ahead and tramping around with Bob Geldof. I can only assume there's some good reason; to my simple mind these are both big risks the day before polling day.

I doubt celebrity endorsements cut much sway in the rather grand suburbs of Richmond Park.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

She's a Lib Dem?
    :smile:
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    With the incumbent standing again, independent of the government (so no usual by-election anti-government protest) and no UKIP, I think it'd be pretty remarkable if the Lib Dems managed to win the seat. As it is, I think they'll lose by a few thousand and blame Labour.
  • Options

@Kle4 Zac's a hot DILF with excellent ecooikophillic reformist tendencies. In many ways I'd prefer him to be an MP than the smugband pixieish Ms Olney. BUT... #1 You have to understand how badly his explicitly racist Mayoral Campaign has played with small l liberal voters. It was a watershed. #2 You have to undrstand what the liberal mindset is like at the moment. BREXIT, TRUMP, TREXIT, the Golden Lift. It's like living in the Apocalypse of St John. Zac is now the Dragon and Olney is St Michael. At the moment I'm so f*cking freaked out I'd personally order a nuclear strike on Zac Goldsmith. My only regret is I can't use Balefire to erase Zac Goldsmith from the timeline for the last 7 years.

Everything is sui generis here and utterly out of proportion to whats at stake. A midterm by-election for an atypical seat perhaps for a few months only until #Mayday .

Mr Submarine, please could you expand on the Golden Lift? I haven't come across the term before & Google doesn't show me anything beyond stair-lifts.
  • Options
    The wording of the guardian article suggests it's canvas data not polling. Canvas data can be that accurate if it's processed properly. Both parties will have enormous sample sizes now. But as with everything it's garbage in, garbage out. It all depends on the quality of the canvas data. They may also have adjusted the canvas figure for the PV verification figures if there are any.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

I doubt celebrity endorsements cut much sway in the rather grand suburbs of Richmond Park.
    They are the most important factor in around 50% of the vote in that area I'd suggest.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Mr Submarine, please could you expand on the Golden Lift? I haven't come across the term before & Google doesn't show me anything beyond stair-lifts.
    It's Labour's plan to win the senior vote, by installing gold lifts at all public stairways.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Hello Anne, I hope you are well ? I was referring the picture of Trump and Farage in Trump Towers' Golden Lift.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

It's Labour's plan to win the senior vote, by installing gold lifts at all public stairways.
    Ok, I'll bite. That isn't a real plan is it?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    Unless the Lib Dems are beaten by Labour or something way out like that, they should be OK. There is always the next byelection to work towards. Funnily enough Lib Demsnow are like Trump and UKIP/Leave - they are all insurgents. You don't boost insurgency with expectations management.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    edited November 2016
    Just had a chat with a young Conservative researcher.

He phoned to ask how likely I was to vote for Caroline Johnson in the local by election. I explained I was a departing UKIP member who would be returning to voting Conservative for no end of reasons including the pointlessness of post-referendum UKIP, the specific UKIP candidate in Sleaford & NH and the fact I am generally (although not entirely) happy so far with the way May is handling the post referendum politics. Two votes back to the Tories as my wife feels the same.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036

The wording of the guardian article suggests it's canvas data not polling. Canvas data can be that accurate if it's processed properly. Both parties will have enormous sample sizes now. But as with everything it's garbage in, garbage out. It all depends on the quality of the canvas data. They may also have adjusted the canvas figure for the PV verification figures if there are any.

Ah, that's a very good point. Ooops.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Hello Anne, I hope you are well ? I was referring the picture of Trump and Farage in Trump Towers' Golden Lift.
    Thank you, I am very well and hope you are too. I remember the picture but had thought the background was just a golden door.

To comment further on your point (2); however awful recent events may seem to the liberal mindset, surely it's only real liberals who share it? I mean, the mindset you describe won't be a motivating factor for the majority of the electorate here.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Its a load of dross. Single constituency polls are very difficult anyway.. When was the last single constituency poll that got it right?. I certainly cannot recall one.. I am sure there is a number cruncher who can............
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

Now if you'd said Labour had a plan to win the senior vote by installing public conveniences at all public stairways, I'd say they might be on to something .....
  • Options
    5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and hurled it on the earth; and there came peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

https://goo.gl/images/M68Tld
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    If the entire LibDem Party Machine throwing the kitchen sink at Richmond can't beat a lone guy with no party machine, no constituency canvassing records and a rag-tag of volunteers in a vanity by-election, then it really is time to point and laugh at them.....
  • Options

If the entire LibDem Party Machine throwing the kitchen sink at Richmond can't beat a lone guy with no party machine, no constituency canvassing records and a rag-tag of volunteers in a vanity by-election, then it really is time to point and laugh at them.....

Bollocks. The Tories threw even more, as we've now discovered, at Rochester in 2014 and the incumbent, Reckless, still won.

• Options

5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and hurled it on the earth; and there came peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

https://goo.gl/images/M68Tld

Fancy using gold for something so functional.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Marque Mark. It is not a lone person, the local Cons are out in force for him. They know where his voters are. This has all been planned for a long time.
    So if the Lib Dems put on 25% of their vote they should laughed at. Come on. Get real.
    By the way I hope Mrs Olney wins but Goldsmith is the incumbent, that gives him a tremendous head start. I expect him to hold by 10%. If he does not then it will be a landslide for the Lib Dems by any calculation, which will inevitably impact nationally and probably propel them into second place at Sleaford..
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

Now if you'd said Labour had a plan to win the senior vote by installing public conveniences at all public stairways, I'd say they might be on to something .....
    Wkuld that be a piece of piss to implement, or a really crap job?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited November 2016

Are you telling us that Zac does not have access to Tory canvassing records from previous elections ? Really ? He is the Tory candidate for all practical purposes.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Marque Mark. It is not a lone person, the local Cons are out in force for him. They know where his voters are. This has all been planned for a long time.
    So if the Lib Dems put on 25% of their vote they should laughed at. Come on. Get real.
    By the way I hope Mrs Olney wins but Goldsmith is the incumbent, that gives him a tremendous head start. I expect him to hold by 10%. If he does not then it will be a landslide for the Lib Dems by any calculation, which will inevitably impact nationally and probably propel them into second place at Sleaford..

The Lib Dems have more chance of winning Richmond than 2nd in Sleaford.

Alot more chance.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Unless the Lib Dems are beaten by Labour or something way out like that, they should be OK. There is always the next byelection to work towards. Funnily enough Lib Demsnow are like Trump and UKIP/Leave - they are all insurgents. You don't boost insurgency with expectations management.

Hadn't thought of that angle.
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Rebellion_of_1857#Tallow_and_lard-greased_cartridges
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is not just any old polling, this is Lib Dem polling :D
    M & S = Mike and Smithson :lol:
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

One or two waspish comments about the physical appearance of the LD candidate - perhaps one or two of the anti-LDs are a shade rattled.

Seriously, I said on the day Zac resigned I thought the LDs wouldn't beat him in a straight fight. He had a significant personal vote which would transcend his "Independent" status and was well entrenched. Nonetheless, the LD campaign has thrown the proverbial kitchen sink at this and in a sense this is Farron's Eastbourne - victory here and the party is back in the game in a way it hasn't been since the 2015 GE.

On topic, is it a good move ? As a motivational tool for both sides and all sides, saying you are just ahead is better than saying you are well behind. It's canvass returns though which of course should be taken with a bucket of salt but those running the LD campaign will know the area and know the electorate well. The party has had a presence in Richmond for decades and even when not running the council has retained a strong local identity.

I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow and I suspect very few, if anyone, does.
  • Options

Bollocks. The Tories threw even more, as we've now discovered, at Rochester in 2014 and the incumbent, Reckless, still won.

Reckless had a new party machine behind him.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Horrible to see stumpy wee Sturgeon and her pot belly featured in the last thread. Scots must be embarrassed by her prominence.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Energy !!!! Unless you take thousands of solar panels where would the initial energy come from to split water ? Even when Mars is near to Earth, the insolation will be about 40% of earth.

On top of all that, they would need water just to live !

The plan behind taking H2 from earth is that you can then react with CO2 on Mars [ plentiful ] with a catalyst and produce CH4 [ methane ] and O2. Of course, H2 is less heavy than water [approx. 1/9th ].
    ---------------------------------------------
    That's right. But again you get to the problem that transporting the hydrogen will be massively expensive when it's available, with difficulty, on Mars.

A nuclear reactor would be ideal, but there's no way Musk, as a private individual, would get the money to do that, or permission. So it'll have to be solar panels and batteries. Now, can you think of anyone close to Musk with experience of solar panels and batteries? ;)

There are so many problems and pitfalls with Musk's grand plans. But I can't help but be drawn in by them. At least someone's trying.

Have you seen piccies of the carbon-fibre LOX tank they've been built and are testing?
    http://i.imgur.com/YW4hvJ5.jpg
    --------------------------------------------
    I am looking forward to super efficient batteries [ of course, lighter as well ] and super-conductive means of transporting electricity.

The first will take care of emergency spikes [ half-time during the world cup final ] and the second will enable the Sahara to light up Europe.

Both are on the way. After the 2022 nuclear ban, the Germans will have to bring electricity from the Baltic coast to the South.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

Wkuld that be a piece of piss to implement, or a really crap job?
    :smiley:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Ooooh, some touchy LibDems tonight....

Getting in the "well, he was REALLY the Tory candidate all along" excuses early I see.
  • Options

Even the Forsaken would know not to use that much Balefire.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

One or two waspish comments about the physical appearance of the LD candidate - perhaps one or two of the anti-LDs are a shade rattled.

Seriously, I said on the day Zac resigned I thought the LDs wouldn't beat him in a straight fight. He had a significant personal vote which would transcend his "Independent" status and was well entrenched. Nonetheless, the LD campaign has thrown the proverbial kitchen sink at this and in a sense this is Farron's Eastbourne - victory here and the party is back in the game in a way it hasn't been since the 2015 GE.

On topic, is it a good move ? As a motivational tool for both sides and all sides, saying you are just ahead is better than saying you are well behind. It's canvass returns though which of course should be taken with a bucket of salt but those running the LD campaign will know the area and know the electorate well. The party has had a presence in Richmond for decades and even when not running the council has retained a strong local identity.

I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow and I suspect very few, if anyone, does.

If LD loses by less than the Labour vote, I will be very unhappy.
  • Options
    @Stodge " Farron's Eastbourne " Yes that's a superb comparison. The similarities are strong in some senses. Eastbourne was held in the most horrific of circumstances. But if voters are angry enough they'll use even a terrorist murder to send a message. I remember staying up without my parents permission and sneaking down the watch the result on the telly. The party really was in a dire state at the time. Arguably no where near as dire a state as it is now but the momentum and narrative impact of a win in Richmond Park could be enormous.
  • Options

Even the Forsaken would know not to use that much Balefire.
    I feel like I'm living in a Balescream already !
  • Options

Well, they could campaign for the £5 note to be de-monetised. I think it has happened somewhere recently.

This could be a boost for digital money.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Omnium said:

If it is a loss, mockery is not good press. Yes, there's more to it than but even so.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

What I take from that is that you think Liberal is a synonym for Liberal Democrat. It's not.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Scott_P said:
    Good! She deserves a position in government, she was a very able governor of Alaska and knows how to run a department.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

"no animal by-product should breach the sanctity of a gurdwara"

Clearly nonsense. Plenty of people enter the gurdwara wearing leather belts and watchstraps, for example. I know I do.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MikeK said:

Scott_P said:
    Good! She deserves a position in government, she was a very able governor of Alaska and knows how to run a department.
    When people ask me why I read political betting I tell them it is the internet's number 1 comedy site.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I have extreme difficulty believing the LD internal poll numbers.

The last poll from Richmond Park had Goldsmith with a 27 point lead with the LD at 29%, going from 29 to 47 in just a single month is extreme given that Labour was already at 10% so not much to squeeze from.

They would have needed to squeeze every single last Labour voter and get 1/4th of the Goldsmith vote in 30 days time.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Serious betting tip, if anyone is interested.

Just put on a bet at 33/1 at Coral for Rob Johnson and the Corbynistas as christmas number 1. This is a charity record for the Tressel Trust. Its not actually that bad as far as novelty songs go, quite catchy, I could quite see it easily becoming viral. 2400 views so far on youtube, so some way to go.
    If you think that labour now have 500,000 members, if one in four bought the single it would sell more than the 127,000 that got the NHS choir to number one last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJmo2_a4RJ8
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I'm going to leave this here for others to judge:
    https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/804042923377442816
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Scott_P said:
    Fantastic. I think she's wonderfully talented and able.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Ooooh, some touchy LibDems tonight....

Getting in the "well, he was REALLY the Tory candidate all along" excuses early I see.

I don't really see how that is an excuse, he is a Tory candidate in all but name. That was the Tory choice by not putting up a candidate to oppose him, and I don't have a problem with it, but it definitely made unseating him very much more difficult. Whether many Tories are participating makes a difference, but not much to whether he is a Tory candidate in all but name.

I don't even see a reason anyone would care to deny it, even if they think the LDs are whining and they should have been able to win anyway.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Scott_P said:
    When people ask me why I read political betting I tell them it is the internet's number 1 comedy site.
    Agreed. On PB, white men have genuine grievances that must be heard, but minorities are just silly, stupid, delusional people who have a 'victim complex'. I've even read on here that Churchill's rather colourful views on race, for example, are just merely impolite. Not forgetting that there seem to be IIRC a few imperialist sympathisers on PB as well, presumably, they must think you're not British if you don't look back on Britain's imperialist past with fondness.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Please, please, please Zac to lose. I don't think it'll happen, but I would be so happy if it did!
This discussion has been closed.