Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Article 50 Supreme Court hearing will be a live televised

2»

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

taffys said:

''President-elect Donald Trump should shut down his personal Twitter account, American voters say 59%-35%, according to Quinnipiac poll. ''

Perhaps they don;t want a running commentary.....

Trump means Trump.
    Suck it up, Libtards.
    but what does Trump mean?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    edited November 2016
    test

Weird, no new posts for 15 minutes.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    DavidL said:

Anyone who thinks that Civil Court cases can be sold as entertainment was not in Court 8 of the Court of Session today...moving on the Faculty of Advocates is planning to livestream this event onto a large screen and possibly even provide some snacks so a chance to bet on the outcome would just add to the fun. Of course punters need to be aware that this case will almost certainly be taken to avizandum so the written decision will not come out until later.

We seem to be seeing a very rapid move from English courts in which photography is a crime to courts which are streamed and provide live entertainment ... just like US court cases but even more so as we have fewer restrictions on online betting.

Criminal cases would usually make better TV though. Most civil cases are just about money.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Just noticed this. Now why has George grassed up Philip?

Guido Quote of the Day
    Rachel Sylvester quotes a Tory MP on the relationship between Philip Hammond and Theresa May:
    “they really didn’t get on, he was forever telling George [Osborne] he couldn’t stand her”

Soon no one would have to do it, the way Ma'am is going. Apparently, the Great Repeal Bill is heading for the cliffs.
    Once again there is a serious lack of tactical co-ordination here. Anyone with half a brain would have realised that the Great Reform Bill (with added repeal of 1972 Act!!) really should be published before this case is heard so the point can be made that Parliament will have plenty of opportunity to debate and decide on these points and address all questions of rights that might arise from the various Acts repealed and amended.

I remain to be persuaded that the government is really trying here which makes the decision remaining undisturbed look quite tempting.
    I'm with you there one hundred percent
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,084
    DavidL said:

Anyone who thinks that Civil Court cases can be sold as entertainment was not in Court 8 of the Court of Session today...moving on the Faculty of Advocates is planning to livestream this event onto a large screen and possibly even provide some snacks so a chance to bet on the outcome would just add to the fun. Of course punters need to be aware that this case will almost certainly be taken to avizandum so the written decision will not come out until later.

"avizandum"

I thought you'd made up that word, but it does exist. And you used it in context. ;)
  • Options

DavidL said:

"avizandum"

I thought you'd made up that word, but it does exist. And you used it in context. ;)
    It is the sort of word that lawyers use to justify their extravagant fees. I am sure engineers have similar ones
  • Options
    DavidL said:

test

Weird, no new posts for 15 minutes.

For 15 minutes everybody actually doing some work!
  • Options

Just noticed this. Now why has George grassed up Philip?

Guido Quote of the Day
    Rachel Sylvester quotes a Tory MP on the relationship between Philip Hammond and Theresa May:
    “they really didn’t get on, he was forever telling George [Osborne] he couldn’t stand her”

But obama loved her when she visited him at the white house.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Does anyone think the Associated Press has just plain forgotten to call Michigan ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:
    Hugely unimportant decisions? I am not sure I would trust Carson with even that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Housing and urban development. We can only hope this is another joke.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Department of Housing and Urban Development, but Hugely unimportant decisions more apt.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    surbiton said:

If Trump wants to kiss and make up with Hillary maybe he should make her ambassador to the UK?

He might take your advice too literally.
    He probably wants her to run in 2020 . . .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,840
    nunu said:

taffys said:

''President-elect Donald Trump should shut down his personal Twitter account, American voters say 59%-35%, according to Quinnipiac poll. ''

Perhaps they don;t want a running commentary.....

Trump means Trump.
    Suck it up, Libtards.
    but what does Trump mean?
    Loud and Noisome Flatus ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:
    Housing and urban development. We can only hope this is another joke.
    Lets relive what Trump said about Carson just over a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQPmEq30WtE
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,840

Pulpstar said:
    Department of Housing and Urban Development, but Hugely unimportant decisions more apt.
    Hugely Unimpressive Delivery in Carson's hands.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"avizandum"

It is the sort of word that lawyers use to justify their extravagant fees. I am sure engineers have similar ones

Think Bleak House...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Housing and Urban Development
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    oh so he's giving him the inner cities.....
  • Options
    @Pulpstar If Donald Trump is going to recruit exclusively from the ranks of those who he has not been disobliging to or who have not been disobliging to him, the talent pool is going to be thin indeed.
  • Options

@Pulpstar If Donald Trump is going to recruit exclusively from the ranks of those who he has not been disobliging to or who have not been disobliging to him, the talent pool is going to be thin indeed.

But those who have been most loyal are getting the greatest rewards :)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Pulpstar said:
    Hugely unimportant decisions? I am not sure I would trust Carson with even that.
    Not so unimportant. I thought it was HUD decisions that led to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac policies, that led to the sub-prime lending crisis that led the world to the brink of financial collapse. Fortunately, Gordon Brown was there to save the world.
  • Options
    Jimmy Dore is way better than Cenk....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5K7UmYkD1I
  • Options

'Kin hell, then really will happen

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"avizandum"

Think Bleak House...
    I should but I get really bored with cases that run on and on and do my best to finish them.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    oh so he's giving him the inner cities.....
    Yes, well not just the inner cities. HUD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all, so the blurb goes, wherever they are.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:
    Not so unimportant. I thought it was HUD decisions that led to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac policies, that led to the sub-prime lending crisis that led the world to the brink of financial collapse. Fortunately, Gordon Brown was there to save the world.
    Yeah but apart from the worst financial disaster in history that almost destroyed our economy what else has HUD done?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I'd say the Scandinavians have the best balance of 'best' vs 'better than most'. Glad to see the UK in that sort of company.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

tlg86 said:

I reckon there's a Border Agency official that's an Arsenal fan

PSG 'stunned' as Serge Aurier barred from entering Britain for Arsenal clash

Aurier convicted of acting violently towards police in September

PSG believes decision ‘attacks the very integrity of Champions League’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/22/psg-stunned-as-serge-aurier-barred-from-entering-britain-for-arsenal-clash

Quite right too!
    You're an Arsenal fan aren't you?
    I am. Worth saying that, of course, Aurier can only be banned from the UK because he does not have an EU passport.
  • Options
    You know thinking back to those republican primaries we could have done so much worse than Trump. Carson, Cruz, that madwoman who wreaked the photocopier business, there were some real nutters out there.

We should just be grateful.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2016
    I think that relevant to the previous thread are the words
    barbarocracy, foolocracy and kakistocracy, none of which is recognised by my spell checker.
    Of the three I favour the third as best to describe the new dawn of US politics.

• Options
    Mr. Toms, rule by foreigners (non-Greeks especially), rule by jesters, and rule by the worst?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Whilst I don't have much time for this Farage for US Ambassador nonsense, I am puzzled by the argument that you have to be a Tory to get one of these jobs. Our current man in DC is a former adviser to Blair, but I suppose that makes him a David Cameron Tory.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Whilst I don't have much time for this Farage for US Ambassador nonsense, I am puzzled by the argument that you have to be a Tory to get one of these jobs. Our current man in DC is a former adviser to Blair, but I suppose that makes him a David Cameron Tory.

It's a silly argument, we're not like America where party donors and henchpeople are rewarded with Ambassadorships.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,615

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:
    Going to be a lot more angry people in America now!
    Only the ones who haven't thought it through (okay, just like on here that will be most of them)

Nobody is going to survive a Senate nomination hearing as AG, FBI Director etc if they go in with sharpened torches and burning pitchforks.

Dampen this down and make conciliatory noises about letting the doddery old crone go quietly senile on her own in her bathchair. Then in six months time the inquiry into the Clinton Foundation will spontaneously warm up and Trump will say it's the FBI acting independently.
    Removes any temptation that Obama might have to pardon her while he's still in office, as well. But we'll see.
    I fully expect to see Hillary investigated by every single federal agency. Including the Parks Service.

Given that the following agencies (among others) have SWAT teams -

Department of Agriculture,
    the Railroad Retirement Board,
    the Tennessee Valley Authority,
    the Office of Personnel Management,
    the Consumer Product Safety Commission

This could be fun....

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

tlg86 said:

It's a silly argument, we're not like America where party donors and henchpeople are rewarded with Ambassadorships.
    Isolated case but one I don't believe has been cited and that was the appointment of Peter Jay (then Callaghan's son in law) as Ambassador to the US in the late seventies.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, ferrero rocher?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

To put it another way, when was the last time that a UK Ambassador wasn't a Diplomatic Service pro? Peter Jay?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

tlg86 said:

Isolated case but one I don't believe has been cited and that was the appointment of Peter Jay (then Callaghan's son in law) as Ambassador to the US in the late seventies.
    Just remembered that one myself...
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:
    Going to be a lot more angry people in America now!
    Only the ones who haven't thought it through (okay, just like on here that will be most of them)

Nobody is going to survive a Senate nomination hearing as AG, FBI Director etc if they go in with sharpened torches and burning pitchforks.

Dampen this down and make conciliatory noises about letting the doddery old crone go quietly senile on her own in her bathchair. Then in six months time the inquiry into the Clinton Foundation will spontaneously warm up and Trump will say it's the FBI acting independently.
    Removes any temptation that Obama might have to pardon her while he's still in office, as well. But we'll see.
    I fully expect to see Hillary investigated by every single federal agency. Including the Parks Service.

Given that the following agencies (among others) have SWAT teams -

Department of Agriculture,
    the Railroad Retirement Board,
    the Tennessee Valley Authority,
    the Office of Personnel Management,
    the Consumer Product Safety Commission

This could be fun....

The railroad retirement board SWAT team...it just creates such an image.
  • Options

Mr. Toms, rule by foreigners (non-Greeks especially), rule by jesters, and rule by the worst?

Greek provenance acknowledged. I take the third as rule by the worst, somewhat more serious than jesters perhaps.
  • Options
    Mr. Toms, I knew of the barbaros/xenos divide due to recently re-reading Thucydides' account of the Peloponnesian War. I knew of kakistos via Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
  • Options
    Surely just getting into training for the new plain speaking Whitehouse.

Kind of confirms my suspicion that his views were not sought before Trump had his wind up though.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

tlg86 said:

Before my time :lol:
  • Options

Mr. Toms, I knew of the barbaros/xenos divide due to recently re-reading Thucydides' account of the Peloponnesian War. I knew of kakistos via Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

For some reason that comment made me think of the splendid movie "Abraham Lincoln: vampire hunter" That film was a topic of comments here some time ago. As I remember, it treated American blacks with great respect and had a humdinger of a train crash.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I miss Buffy, Thucydides not so much.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Toms said:

For some reason that comment made me think of the splendid movie "Abraham Lincoln: vampire hunter" That film was a topic of comments here some time ago. As I remember, it treated American blacks with great respect and had a humdinger of a train crash.
    The theory that the American Civil War was really a war on Vampires had the attraction of considerable novelty.
This discussion has been closed.