Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s majority reduced even further as another CON MP

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

MikeK said:

BBC says the US election polls tighten. Translation: Trump is now ahead.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37868209

Trump is not ahead where he needs to be ahead. Of course that could change, or the polls could be wrong, but on current polling he is behind.
    Not with LA Times, he still leads with them other polls show it neck and neck, others give a clearer Hillary lead
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

This just seems a bit weird. More to this than meets the eye?

He did threaten to resign once before, if the referendum didn't happen.
    The shame of the people who conspired to make this situation inevitable is something they'll all have to live with.
    Indeed.

Whilst I, like almost everyone, recognise that the die is now cast, there is little doubt in my mind that the UK will come in time to regret its decision to step away from the EU and that the bunch of cynical opportunists and extremists that have led us to this pass surely won't be around when the accountability for the consequences is going begging.

Boris - as the principal culprit - knows this; it doesn't matter whether his 'Titanic' reference was conscious or sub-conscious, it shows that he knows, deep down, how this will probably end.
    You want the UK to become part of a U.S.E.?
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Interesting - thanks. How does the EU avoid it common external tariff being circumvented via imports at lower tariffs coming via EFTA non-EU countries?

When exporting from (say) Norway to the EU, there is a form which the exporter has to fill in declaring the origin of the goods. Tariffs are payable if the goods came from outside the EEA. (That wouldn't apply for the customs union).
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

National Tracker - Rasmussen - Sample 1,500 - 1-3 Nov

Clinton 44 .. Trump 44

Note - 3 point move to Clinton .... Ras reverts .... :smile:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch_nov4

The swing-back theory in action?
    How could you possibly imply that following precisely the same pattern as 08 and 12 that this might happen again. Where is your evidence?

Shocking and disgraceful I tell you .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    HYUFD said:

Seaford and North Hykeham has elected die-hard Tory Europhiles before, Douglas Hogg and now Phillips it seems so it will probably be a Tory hold. However given North Kesteven district, if which the seat forms part, comfortably voted Leave UKIP will fancy their chances, especially if the Tories pick another Remainer as their candidate given Parliament now has a vote on Brexit

The Tories cant and wont pick a remainer - it was their referendum and they, of all parties, must now own the outcome. The future for remainers in the Tory Party is now bleak.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

CD13 said:

Mr Tyson,

Isaac Newton. Arguably the greatest scientist who ever lived (and as mad as a hatter).
    Tennyson.

Newton was a genius, but he was also a massive ass. His treatment of Hooke was disgraceful.
    Even though he was from just down the road from me I also think he was pretty dishonest and stole a lot from Leibniz
    biscuits?
  • Options
    On the basis of that poll they would trust Dr Liam Fox on Brexit most of all!
  • Options
    matt said:

MikeK said:

This is bad news for those who don't want a Hard Brexit.

The Tory Party and Parliament is losing a pro Single market not obsessed by immigration Leaver.

The Tories are losing a half-hearted MP, more interested in his profession than his constituents.
    Yes, he does look like a part timer.
    "He attracted criticism from some for spending around 1,700 hours annually working as a barrister whilst serving as an MP. Phillips described his own parliamentary attendance record as "excellent", asserting his outside work "doesn’t affect the way in which I perform as an MP", and accused his critics of "envy" over his yearly £750,000 second job earnings.[9]"
    I did a quick calculation and 1700 hours is 212 8 hour days. That is a lot more than just a job on the side.
    Indeed. He's barely even a part-time MP. I don't have a great problem with MPs earning from second jobs. I do have a problem when they are taking the p1ss.
    Given the times that the courts sit and those that Parliament sits, he must have been in parliament only in the late evenings. As with you, I don't have an issue with second jobs (in my view an MP's salary is derisory) but his judgement was lacking (which is interesting in both being at the bar and being an MP).
    How much committee work, constituency work or other Parliamentary work did he do? Of course, the local (and national) Conservative Party is to blame. They bloody selected him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

The Tory Party and Parliament is losing a pro Single market not obsessed by immigration Leaver.

The Tories are losing a half-hearted MP, more interested in his profession than his constituents.
    "He attracted criticism from some for spending around 1,700 hours annually working as a barrister whilst serving as an MP. Phillips described his own parliamentary attendance record as "excellent", asserting his outside work "doesn’t affect the way in which I perform as an MP", and accused his critics of "envy" over his yearly £750,000 second job earnings.[9]"
    I did a quick calculation and 1700 hours is 212 8 hour days. That is a lot more than just a job on the side.
    A lawyer died and was met by St. Peter at the pearly gates.
    “There must be some mistake,” the lawyer complained.
    “Why is that?” asked St. Peter.
    “Because I’m only forty-two years old!” exclaimed the lawyer.
    “Oh? According to your billed hours, you are eighty-seven!
    A lawyer died and went to heaven? What is this - some kind of joke?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The shame of the people who conspired to make this situation inevitable is something they'll all have to live with.
    Indeed.

Whilst I, like almost everyone, recognise that the die is now cast, there is little doubt in my mind that the UK will come in time to regret its decision to step away from the EU and that the bunch of cynical opportunists and extremists that have led us to this pass surely won't be around when the accountability for the consequences is going begging.

Boris - as the principal culprit - knows this; it doesn't matter whether his 'Titanic' reference was conscious or sub-conscious, it shows that he knows, deep down, how this will probably end.
    You do realise that titanic is an adjective don't you?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

Trump is not ahead where he needs to be ahead. Of course that could change, or the polls could be wrong, but on current polling he is behind.
    Not with LA Times, he still leads with them other polls show it neck and neck, others give a clearer Hillary lead
    The LA Times .... it's the way you tell em .... :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On the basis of that poll they would trust Dr Liam Fox on Brexit most of all!
    Unless they met him.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

LA Times seems to reflect trends on other polls i.e. d/dt(LA Times) = d/dt(Other polls) since d/dt(constant bias) = 0.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

fitalass said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    Wow, Tories finally developing a real base in rural north east and south Scotland now, as Labour lose one. Go Ruth!
    Twitter
    Philip Sim ‏@BBCPhilipSim 9m9 minutes ago
    One Tory gain from the SNP, one technical gain from Lib Dems (although former co-leader Martin Kitts-Hayes was sitting as an independent)
    Ruth is bringing the Scottish Tories off life support.

She'd be wasted at Westminster.

She's also a soft Leaver, so would have no chance of being anything other than a very backbench MP.

Fear not, not for the first time Ruth has enthusiastically embraced the new reality. The SCons are uniformly pro Brexit now (or pro whatever vague interpretation of Brexit May is making on any given day).
    Last night's 2 by-elections adjoined Scotland's most Brexit friendly region, which may not be entirely unconnected to the results.
    Oh I think the results have a lot more do with the increasingly unpopular domestic decisions and record of the SNP Government. Hiking up the council tax for higher bands, then skimming off the extra revenue raised to use centrally has gone down like a bucket of cold sick up here in Aberdeenshire!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790

PeterC said:

Labour's position has to be this:

1. We will respect the decision to leave the European Union
    2. We therefore need to negotiate the best deal for Britain outside the EU
    3. That deal is to become a member of the EFTA - access to the single market, freedom to conduct our own trade deals, freedom from CAP and CFP

The only stumbling block is free movement. But as we will have an open border with the EU in Ireland, that's never going to have an easy fix anyway.

If we campaign to stay in, we will be obliterated. And apparently saying that makes me racist...

Freedom to conduct trade deals implies leaving the customs union. This would lead to tariffs in trade with the EU as well as administrative burdens in respect of country of origin etc. A hard border in NI would also be difficult to avoid. Nissan must have been given assurances relating to the customs union I would have thought.
    Not so. EFTA members of the EEA do not have barriers to trade with the EU but are not in the Customs Union and are able to conduct their own trade deals.
    Strictly speaking EFTA members of the EEA don't have to pay tariffs on trade with the EU, but they do have to show compliance with content origination rules. I read somewhere that the cost of compliance was typically 3-4% of the goods, which is significant in a low margin business. This will be an issue for the Nissan deal for example. There are costs, which wouldn't apply if those EEA countries were in a customs union with the EU.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

I would rather my country were playing its part in shaping the institutions of the future than standing aside and opting out.

We live in a world where almost nowhere on the planet is within not much more than a day's travel and where information can be transmitted by a variety of means instantaneously. With an economy dominated by supra-national corporations. Yet we have politicians and many voters who behave as if it still took a month on board ship to reach Australia.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    Is there a book on which Tory MP will resign next week?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    Wow, Tories finally developing a real base in rural north east and south Scotland now, as Labour lose one. Go Ruth!
    Twitter
    One Tory gain from the SNP, one technical gain from Lib Dems (although former co-leader Martin Kitts-Hayes was sitting as an independent)

She's also a soft Leaver, so would have no chance of being anything other than a very backbench MP.

Fear not, not for the first time Ruth has enthusiastically embraced the new reality. The SCons are uniformly pro Brexit now (or pro whatever vague interpretation of Brexit May is making on any given day).
    Last night's 2 by-elections adjoined Scotland's most Brexit friendly region, which may not be entirely unconnected to the results.
    Oh I think the results have a lot more do with the increasingly unpopular domestic decisions and record of the SNP Government. Hiking up the council tax for higher bands, then skimming off the extra revenue raised to use centrally has gone down like a bucket of cold sick up here in Aberdeenshire!
    What's your prediction for the Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire councils in next year's election?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
  • Options
    FF43 said:

PeterC said:

3. That deal is to become a member of the EFTA - access to the single market, freedom to conduct our own trade deals, freedom from CAP and CFP

The only stumbling block is free movement. But as we will have an open border with the EU in Ireland, that's never going to have an easy fix anyway.

If we campaign to stay in, we will be obliterated. And apparently saying that makes me racist...

Freedom to conduct trade deals implies leaving the customs union. This would lead to tariffs in trade with the EU as well as administrative burdens in respect of country of origin etc. A hard border in NI would also be difficult to avoid. Nissan must have been given assurances relating to the customs union I would have thought.
    Not so. EFTA members of the EEA do not have barriers to trade with the EU but are not in the Customs Union and are able to conduct their own trade deals.
    Strictly speaking EFTA members of the EEA don't have to pay tariffs on trade with the EU, but they do have to show compliance with content origination rules. I read somewhere that the cost of compliance was typically 3-4% of the goods, which is significant in a low margin business. This will be an issue for the Nissan deal for example. There are costs, which wouldn't apply if those EEA countries were in a customs union with the EU.
    So be it. By the same logic currency variations can be more than 3-4% of the goods so surely we should be in the Single Currency?

Compliance costs are a cost worth paying to have our own trade deals.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

Most pollsters had Remain ahead in EU ref in their final polls but it was the minority who had Leave ahead who were right, until the results are in nothing is certain
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,144
    weejonnie said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

LA Times seems to reflect trends on other polls i.e. d/dt(LA Times) = d/dt(Other polls) since d/dt(constant bias) = 0.
    Yes their underlying data is consistent. Perhaps they're overweighting LATimos.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Is there a book on which Tory MP will resign next week?

Nostradamus?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    "A Bill which has shocked the conscience of every Christian community in Europe." -- Mr. F. E. Smith, on the Welsh Disestablishment Bill."

If only some of todays MPs could be satirised in the same way as F. E. Smith.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/smith.txt
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

I would rather my country were playing its part in shaping the institutions of the future than standing aside and opting out.

We live in a world where almost nowhere on the planet is within not much more than a day's travel and where information can be transmitted by a variety of means instantaneously. With an economy dominated by supra-national corporations. Yet we have politicians and many voters who behave as if it still took a month on board ship to reach Australia.
    The logical conclusion to your post is to back Brexit.

We need to embrace the whole globe, not one tiny fraction of it.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    john_zims said:

@RochdalePioneers

'Labour's position has to be this:

The only stumbling block is free movement.'

The only stumbling block is that free movement was the main reason voters rejected staying in the EU.

There is a big story that can be told on free movement - the large amount of net economic immigration we have been maintaining from outside the EU, the extra discretion EFTA members have in giving EU immigrants access to the welfare system (or not), the need for a certain level of (lower but still substantial) immigration to counter demographics and how that can be done whilst levelling off population rise. A soft-Brexit that fully engages with immigration concerns and their role in the Brexit votes is eminently possible, and the Labour party should be the people who are politically in a position to tell that story. I don't think that is going to happen, though.

Not a brick wall, needn't be a stumbling block, rather an opportunity to engage properly with the discussion in a way politics has failed to do over the last 20 years.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

The Devil and God were arguing over some technical matter. God grew impatient with the Devil's intransigence and in exasperation said 'OK, see you in Court.' The Devil raised an eyebrow. 'And where would you get a Lawyer?'
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

Recently so. However the main problem with the tracker is that as a panel based survey it was critical they got their sample correct from the get go .... Ooooopppps

Looking at the crosstabs makes the old "We Ask America" polls look like the gold standard. :smiley:
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

The Devil and God were arguing over some technical matter. God grew impatient with the Devil's intransigence and in exasperation said 'OK, see you in Court.' The Devil raised an eyebrow. 'And where would you get a Lawyer?'
    A rare PtP sighting! PfP was only yesterday lamenting your absence. Stick with us until Wednesday morning at any rate?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

This nonsense about embracing the whole globe is one of the most egregious dishonesties of the Brexit campaign.

The most successful exporter on the planet is Germany, right at the heart of the EU.

And many of the Brexit campaigners and many of their supporters cannot bring themselves to embrace the nearest parts of the globe, let alone the parts further away.

There is nothing in leaving the EU that will make us any more able to 'embrace the world' than we were so able by playing our role as part of the European family of nations.
  • Options
    One of Trumps senate supporters (who voted for him)

https://twitter.com/cathleendecker/status/794288937061720064
  • Options
    FF43 said:

PeterC said:

Rather misleading. Since we are already in the EU we have already met the compliance costs. Nissan already has to match those standards as a company trading within the EEA - albeit from an EU rather than an EFTA country. The additional costs if any would be tiny and certainly not the 3-4% you quote.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

You do realise that titanic is an adjective don't you?
    Of course, but its ancient usage sunk along with the ship, as Boris well knows.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Lawyer turned up at heaven and was given the guided tour. Harps, clouds, singing, the full works. Asked if he could visit Hell before making his decision on where to go - wanted to assess the options.

St Peter was slightly surprised, but said ok: the lawyer had a tour next day. Beautiful golf course; the sun was shining and a very enjoyable evening in the club house.

The next day St. Peter asked him to make his choice - and the lawyer selected Hell (much to St. Peter's surprise).

He went down to Hell - and it was a burning, noisome wasteland. Outraged, he turned to the Devil and complained.

"Ah", the Devil said. "Yesterday you were a prospect. Today you're a client"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

Most pollsters had Remain ahead in EU ref in their final polls but it was the minority who had Leave ahead who were right, until the results are in nothing is certain
    Quite what that comment has to do with the price of Ayrshire turnips futures I'm not quite sure but I dare say you and President of the Peoples Front for the Liberation of Judea know the answer and accordingly I bow to your superior knowledge in these comparative fields.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Currently your country plays almost no part in shaping the institutions of the future as they have ceded that right to the EU. As such they are at best holding 1/28th of a vote at most of the institutions which shape the rules and regulations that govern world trade. Leaving the EU and retaking those seats ourselves gives us more rather than less influence.
  • Options
    :+1:

Judging by the comments by media and public, we need an urgent programme of citizenship education as to how the UK actually works.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sean_Fear said:

tyson said:

General Election. TMay can get clear mandate for A50. Labour can get rid of Corbyn.

(a) Yes (b) How?
    He could get lost as he wanders away from Islington to places he didn't even know existed....like Lincolnshire for instance.

BTW....can someone please tell me if Lincolnshire has produced anyone of any note in the whole history of our great nation?
    Margaret Thatcher.
    Isaac Newton
    Tennyson
    John Wesley
    Tennyson kept his Lincolnshire accent, as demonstrated in this lofi Edison recording You assume the greats must have been declaiming in received pronunciation, but accents were a lot more diverse in those pre-homogenised days.
    George Boole (Boolean Algebra)
    John Harrison (Clockmaker)

After that you are down to the 'Famous Belgians" category. (The most famous of which is probably a fictional detective).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

A rare PtP sighting! PfP was only yesterday lamenting your absence. Stick with us until Wednesday morning at any rate?
    Yes, I'll be lurking, TP, as I have been for some time.

Btw, all is well here, just been doing other things. I understand you have too, or at least Mrs TP has. Congratulations on the family addition.
  • Options

You shameless hussy .... Welcome back !! .... :smiley:
  • Options

FF43 said:

PeterC said:

So be it. By the same logic currency variations can be more than 3-4% of the goods so surely we should be in the Single Currency?

Compliance costs are a cost worth paying to have our own trade deals.
    Are they? That's presented as an article of faith. Unlike matters of principle, suchas running our own affairs or control over immigration, trade deals seem to me an issue entirely of where our advantage lies. Leaving aside the potential loss of our BY FAR most lucrative trade arrangement, with the EU, why should our trading arrangements with third countries be better too? Who, specifically, is going to give us better deals than what have at the moment? In what specific ways will they be better?

I don't see it.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Yes, I'll be lurking, TP, as I have been for some time.

Btw, all is well here, just been doing other things. I understand you have too, or at least Mrs TP has. Congratulations on the family addition.
    Thank you! Bexit went very smoothly and she is now looking forward to engaging with the wider world.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Cameron couldn't even stick at that job for more than two months. The people of Northstead must be livid.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    You assume the Cons will want to kick this off ASAP rather than have it get too close to Christmas.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Currently your country plays almost no part in shaping the institutions of the future as they have ceded that right to the EU. As such they are at best holding 1/28th of a vote at most of the institutions which shape the rules and regulations that govern world trade. Leaving the EU and retaking those seats ourselves gives us more rather than less influence.
    Misguided sentiments, as history will, in time, come to record.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

dr_spyn said:
    Cameron couldn't even stick at that job for more than two months. The people of Northstead must be livid.
    :smile
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    edited November 2016

Rather misleading. Since we are already in the EU we have already met the compliance costs. Nissan already has to match those standards as a company trading within the EEA - albeit from an EU rather than an EFTA country. The additional costs if any would be tiny and certainly not the 3-4% you quote.

We could use a Swiss arrangement for re-exported goods where we collect the CET and pass it along to the EU. I'll use Honda as an example:

Honda UK imports an engine block from Japan worth $2500, the UK now has a common tariff of 5% with non-MFN countries so the government collects $125 per unit imported. Honda UK imports 20,000 engine blocks per month from Japan which yields $2.5m. Honda UK then exports 4,000 cars per month to the EU. For those 4,000 it would pay an additional $125 per unit as the EU CET is 10%, so $500k. The government gives the EU the full $1m CET rate for vehicles re-exported to the EU, but the vehicles are not subject to customs controls at the EU border in Rotterdam.

Honda UK would currently pay $5m per month for the CET anyway so they save $2m overall, we set a lower goods tariff which is more suitable for our economy and the EU still collects "their" share of the CET for re-exported goods without having to enforce customs controls on British goods.
  • Options

FF43 said:

PeterC said:

The costs are in doing the paper work to demonstrate the actual goods originate within the EEA to the threshold specified for that product. That doesn't just apply to the value added in Sunderland but to the components that are assembled there as well. if you don't meet those thresholds you will be liable for duties on the entire value of the car as it crosses into the EU customs zone.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Apparently that's in Scarborough. So their new representative will be a bit closer to local.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    They held a referendum on whether Cameron should REMAIN or LEAVE ....

LEAVE - 52/48
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited November 2016

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    Twitter

What's your prediction for the Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire councils in next year's election?
    Genuinely believe the SNP are going to take an electoral hit in these long over due Scottish Local elections. And because they will be far more focussed on SNP Gov's increasingly unpopular domestic record in North East rather than Indy or Brexit. Scottish voters are very canny when it comes to using these voting systems IF they want to send an unpopular incumbent Government a message.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    JackW said:

dr_spyn said:
    They held a referendum on whether Cameron should REMAIN or LEAVE ....

LEAVE - 52/48
    Wherever Cameron goes he leaves a stinking mess to clear up.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/david-cameron-s-favourite-cornish-cafe-given-zero-hygiene-rating/story-29864950-detail/story.html
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    MaxPB said:

Just to settle the FPT conspiracy theory, the picture of that woman is on The Times app and it's the same as the one from the Sun.

(Snip)

Looking at google image for her, it seems that her skin tone varies according to lighting conditions. Non-story. IMO.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

This nonsense about embracing the whole globe is one of the most egregious dishonesties of the Brexit campaign.

The most successful exporter on the planet is Germany, right at the heart of the EU.

And many of the Brexit campaigners and many of their supporters cannot bring themselves to embrace the nearest parts of the globe, let alone the parts further away.

There is nothing in leaving the EU that will make us any more able to 'embrace the world' than we were so able by playing our role as part of the European family of nations.
    Germany is successful in large part because it has managed to maintain an artificially low currency to the detriment of all the other users. If it had not been able to let other countries take the burden whilst it reaped the benefits it would be a very different matter.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Except the fact we will be able to negotiate our own trade deals that benefit us specifically rather than being scuppered by other countries.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Germany is successful in large part because it has managed to maintain an artificially low currency to the detriment of all the other users. If it had not been able to let other countries take the burden whilst it reaped the benefits it would be a very different matter.
    Wage dumping as well, until recently.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited November 2016

IanB2 said:

Sorry do you mean those who demanded an EU referendum or those who nominated Jeremy Corbyn for Lab leader?
  • Options
    Disgraceful from Mrs May and her staff

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/794532159172317184
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

PeterC said:

The costs are in doing the paper work to demonstrate the actual goods originate within the EEA to the threshold specified for that product. That doesn't just apply to the value added in Sunderland but to the components that are assembled there as well. if you don't meet those thresholds you will be liable for duties on the entire value of the car as it crosses into the EU customs zone.
    Actually, the importer is liable for duties, remember that. The Swiss currently act as an EU importer for goods which are re-exported to the EU. I don't see why we couldn't also adopt that arrangement.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Apparently that's in Scarborough. So their new representative will be a bit closer to local.
    Somehow I doubt Mr Phillips will continue to make his home in Lincolnshire.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

PeterC said:

Which already applies if those components are coming from outside the EU and is not an issue if they are coming from inside the EU.
  • Options
    Right - Nevada. Should early voting really be trumping [sic] the polls to this extent? The polls include the early voters! 9/4 on the Republicans (SkyBet) looks big to my mind.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/nevada

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/nevada/
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Except the fact we will be able to negotiate our own trade deals that benefit us specifically rather than being scuppered by other countries.
    Good luck with that!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Mike,
    Your arithmetic has gone awry! Zac's resignation reduced the Tory majority to 11 - it would only become 10 in the event of the seat being lost. The latest resignation reduces the majority to 10 - and only becomes 8 if both seats are lost.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Germany has been able to shape the EU, the Single Currency and the EU's trade deals to maximise their own advantages. They have an artificially low currency (something people keep whining we are now getting too) and agreements centred on their areas of comparative advantage.

If the EU's trade deals were centred upon our areas of advantage (eg putting free trade in financial services at the heart of deals) then we could be doing better too. But they're not. Out the EU we can embrace the whole world with our own terms.

We keep hearing how important the financial passport is to London but we export nearly as much in finance to the USA than we do the entire EU put together. The EU has no intentions of signing a financial passport deal with the USA - how much would one be worth to us if we could negotiate that?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Misguided sentiments, as history will, in time, come to record.
    Not sentiments, basic facts.
  • Options

Right - Nevada. Should early voting really be trumping [sic] the polls to this extent? The polls include the early voters! 9/4 on the Republicans (SkyBet) looks big to my mind.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/nevada

The polls were out last time, and last time the Dems early voting advantage in Clark County of 55,000.00 meant they won on early votes basically. This year, they have 60,000.00 so far in Clark County.

You are basically counting on Trumps non-existent GOTV operation to do better this year than Romney's did last time in a heavily Hispanic state with a strong Dem GOTV built by Harry Reid. It's not impossible, but there is a reason NV isn't looking good for Trump at the mo
  • Options

Which already applies if those components are coming from outside the EU and is not an issue if they are coming from inside the EU.

That's what I really don't think some people appreciate, anything we import from outside the EU at the moment is charged at 10% anyway. If we lowered our CET to 5% and had a tariff free agreement with the EU the best way would be to act as collection agents for the EU for any re-exported goods. That way domestic importers still benefit from lower tariffs and goods prices, UK goods aren't subject to customs controls at the EU border and there won't be any chance of double tariffs being applied if point of origin thresholds aren't met.

It really is an "everyone wins" solution.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mike,
    Your arithmetic has gone awry! Zac's resignation reduced the Tory majority to 11 - it would only become 10 in the event of the seat being lost. The latest resignation reduces the majority to 10 - and only becomes 8 if both seats are lost.

Give it a couple of weeks and two more Tory MPs will resign.
  • Options
    Georgia for clinton? second close poll in 2 days

https://twitter.com/MarkRountreeAtl/status/794534032910520320
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Our lord chancellor remains silen''t.

Soch b*ll*cks on here about lawyers.

The legal profession is highly politicised because they made it so.

Anybody who has read anything about Phil Shiner and the disgusting pursuit of our troops realises that some lawyers have an agenda that is nothing to do with the interpretation of the law.

Is that the case here? who knows, but the press are perfectly at liberty to speculate upon it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mike,

If Zac wins he will be an Independent MP.
  • Options
    619 said:

The polls were out last time, and last time the Dems early voting advantage in Clark County of 55,000.00 meant they won on early votes basically. This year, they have 60,000.00 so far in Clark County.

You are basically counting on Trumps non-existent GOTV operation to do better this year than Romney's did last time in a heavily Hispanic state with a strong Dem GOTV built by Harry Reid. It's not impossible, but there is a reason NV isn't looking good for Trump at the mo
    Sure, but early votes are only an advantage if they wouldn't have voted on the day anyway. Of course, many wouldn't. But I think this media fixation with early voting numbers is mostly because it's something tangible to report on as opposed to polls and speculation.
  • Options
    justin124 said:
    » show previous quotes
    ' Absolutely correct! The final two sentences are spot on. I would simply add that there is no requirement for Corbyn to bow to any plans May have for an election - particularly when his party is so far adrift in the polls.'

Tissue Price said:
    'You keep saying this. But the no confidence route around the FTPA will not make Corbyn Prime Minister, because no alternative government can be formed. And given this, Labour might as well vote for the GE under the FTPA. '

I don't think the constitutional position is anything like as clear as you imply.I note that David Herdson referred to the possibility of Corbyn becoming PM in his article today - and other commentators have expressed a similar view. At the very least , forcing May to table a No Confidence Vote would delay any election by 2/3 weeks.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

Good luck with that!
    Yes. As a member of the EU, we can demand approximately what we want and stand a good chance of getting it; outside the EU we can demand exactly what we want and stand very little chance of getting it.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    If Russia has built up as powerful an espionage and propaganda presence in the US as Kurt Eichenwald says in today's piece in Newsweek, where was the FBI? Eichenwald doesn't even mention the domestic security agency that is tasked with protecting the US against such activities by foreign powers. That agency appears to be helping Trump. Game over?

src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peVdsTglebA"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    weejonnie said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

No, their trends once reweighted follows the polling average. Not in its current state.
  • Options
    619 said:
    Not quite true: The number of people 'unemployed' fell by 150000 - but the number of people who hold jobs fell by 185,000 and the number of people who are not in the labour force increased by 425,000.
  • Options

Yes. As a member of the EU, we can demand approximately what we want and stand a good chance of getting it; outside the EU we can demand exactly what we want and stand very little chance of getting it.

That's based on what? Historically the EU has sacrificed services trade and investment freedom in favour of goods tariff reductions. That's unfavourable to the UK.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    You assume the Cons will want to kick this off ASAP rather than have it get too close to Christmas.
    He said: "I and many others did not exercise our vote in the referendum so as to restore the sovereignty of this parliament only to see what we regarded as the tyranny of the European Union replaced by that of a government that apparently wishes to ignore the views of the house on the most important issue facing the nation."
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:
    » show previous quotes
    ' Absolutely correct! The final two sentences are spot on. I would simply add that there is no requirement for Corbyn to bow to any plans May have for an election - particularly when his party is so far adrift in the polls.'

Tissue Price said:
    'You keep saying this. But the no confidence route around the FTPA will not make Corbyn Prime Minister, because no alternative government can be formed. And given this, Labour might as well vote for the GE under the FTPA. '

I don't think the constitutional position is anything like as clear as you imply.I note that David Herdson referred to the possibility of Corbyn becoming PM in his article today - and other commentators have expressed a similar view. At the very least , forcing May to table a No Confidence Vote would delay any election by 2/3 weeks.

There is no provision under our Constitution for HM appointing a PM who cannot command the House. We shall see...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

The global citizen thing throws up another question:

Dump trade deal with major developed bloc and all their associated deals.

Make deals increasingly with emerging economies, BRIC, MINT &c.

The risk is of UK business being forced to deal increasingly with 8 countries and more who are, yes, growing, but have problems of transparency and accountability almost across the board, to the exclusion of stable developed economies where the barriers have gone up.

What does this then do to the transparency, accountability and level of legal compliance of UK companies?
  • Options
    JackW said:

You shameless hussy .... Welcome back !! .... :smiley:
    The Devil/Lawyer joke I like is the one where the Devil promises a young trainee solicitor a glittering legal career, leading to a partnership in a prestigious firm, a £1m a year salary, and eventually a knighthood. All he wants in return is his soul, and the souls of his wife and child.

So, this trainee solicitor is nobody's fool. He thinks long and hard about this offer, before saying to the Devil "Okay, what's the catch?"
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2016
    I suspect Suzanne Evans is probably the perfect UKIP candidate for this seat. So it will be someone else...
    https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/794533160314933249
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

The global citizen thing throws up another question:

Dump trade deal with major developed bloc and all their associated deals.

Make deals increasingly with emerging economies, BRIC, MINT &c.

The risk is of UK business being forced to deal increasingly with 8 countries and more who are, yes, growing, but have problems of transparency and accountability almost across the board, to the exclusion of stable developed economies where the barriers have gone up.

What does this then do to the transparency, accountability and level of legal compliance of UK companies?
    Why would we put up trade barriers with developed nations? No one has suggested we exclude them. In fact the first major trade deal will probably be with Australia.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's based on what? Historically the EU has sacrificed services trade and investment freedom in favour of goods tariff reductions. That's unfavourable to the UK.
    Simple logic. As part of a large block, we are in a much better position to make favourable deals with third countries, even if they are not exactly the deals we'd aim for. On our own, we can aim for exactly the deals we want, but have less firepower to achieve them.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:
    » show previous quotes

Tissue Price said:

There is no provision under our Constitution for HM appointing a PM who cannot command the House. We shall see...
    If the Government 'resigns' HM has to appoint another PM - as did Edward VII in December 1905 when he appointed Campbell-Bannerman to succeed Balfour.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Not really. All trade agreements tend to concentrate on goods. That's because they are easier to get agreement on.

The idea that the UK can buck this historic trend is pure speculation - and probably wishful thinking. Are we, for example, really going into enter into a radical free-trade agreement in services with the US? That would mean opening up our healthcare sector to proper US competition, and vice versa. Whilst I personally would think that's a great idea, and I expect you would too, in practice the politics of it would be massively difficult.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,144
    edited November 2016

I suspect Suzanne Evans is probably the perfect UKIP candidate for this seat. So it will be someone else...

That's bold and I think it might pay off. She's the sort of Kipper that would go down well in a moderate Tory seat (if she avoids some of her rhetoric of the past few days.)
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Our lord chancellor remains silen''t.

Soch b*ll*cks on here about lawyers.

The legal profession is highly politicised because they made it so.

Anybody who has read anything about Phil Shiner and the disgusting pursuit of our troops realises that some lawyers have an agenda that is nothing to do with the interpretation of the law.

Is that the case here? who knows, but the press are perfectly at liberty to speculate upon it.

It's all about interpretation of the law.

• Options
    Dromedary said:

If Russia has built up as powerful an espionage and propaganda presence in the US as Kurt Eichenwald says in today's piece in Newsweek, where was the FBI? Eichenwald doesn't even mention the domestic security agency that is tasked with protecting the US against such activities by foreign powers. That agency appears to be helping Trump. Game over?

The FBI are trying their upmost to safeguard national security, but there were those within the state department who insisted on using private servers which leak like sieves and make the task harder.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Simple logic. As part of a large block, we are in a much better position to make favourable deals with third countries, even if they are not exactly the deals we'd aim for. On our own, we can aim for exactly the deals we want, but have less firepower to achieve them.
    Less firepower is still $2.4tn GDP. You might not want to hear it but the UK is still very powerful in its own right. As one voice in 29 we often saw favourable trade deals turn into less favourable trade deals, as one voice in two I think that's less likely. Unless we're talking about doing deals with China and the US (which frankly aren't that interesting) then we are going to be talking to most countries on an even or better footing. The biggest issue isn't out non-EU trade, it is getting a workable deal with the EU which we can build on.
  • Options

That's bold and I think it might pay off. She's the sort of Kipper that would go down well in a moderate Tory seat (if she avoids some of her rhetoric of the past few days.)
    When will the UKIP leadership be announced?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    MaxPB said:

And don't forget agriculture. As a country with a small land mass in relation to population size, and which is consequently heavily reliant on imported food, protectionist tariffs designed to please the French farming lobby are deeply unfavourable to us. The first thing that the Government should do if and when we are formally out of the Customs Union is to declare unilateral free trade in food, if nothing else.

The effects of falling prices would be like a stimulant tax cut for everybody, but should disproportionately benefit the poorest who spend the largest percentage of their income on food. Large agribusinesses and premium suppliers should be able to adapt to and cope with the increased competition. The cost of keeping smaller farmers going through increased subsidy of agri-environment schemes would amount, comparatively speaking, to loose change for the state.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    It's all about interpretation of the law.

Right across the legal profession? I completely disagree, citing the pursuit of our troops as evidence.

It may very well be the interpretation of law in this particular case, but the press is entitled to hold a different view, based on some of the activities of the modern legal profession.
This discussion has been closed.