Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Nearest-run Thing – the BREXIT result was tight but so hav

123457»

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    God bless case law.
    The Article 50 appeal is currently discussing lobster farming in the 19th century and OGH has just tweeted something about Henry VIII and the Privy Council.

Those tedious Eurocrats could never understand the wonderful tatterdemalion that is our constitution.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If anyone is going to bet on the Article 50 case, I suggest that you first carefully define what "win" means.

It seems quite likely to me (judging by the judges' questions of the barristers) that the current round will be decided on the basis that the royal prerogative continues to operate in relation to the decision but that the courts will have judicial oversight of how that decision is exercised.

Such a decision would please no one.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I'm not interested in a charity bet but I'll have a tenner with you directly at evens if you like, on the current High Court case.

I pay you if the decision is that parliament has to vote in order that Article 50 is invoked; you pay me if it's that parliament does not have to?

If anyone is going to bet on the Article 50 case, I suggest that you first carefully define what "win" means.

It seems quite likely to me (judging by the judges' questions of the barristers) that the current round will be decided on the basis that the royal prerogative continues to operate in relation to the decision but that the courts will have judicial oversight of how that decision is exercised.

Such a decision would please no one.

With reference to Alastair's warning, you appear to have defined "win" fairly clearly.

OK, you are on
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    Scott_P said:

Unfortunately, remaining in the single market appears to be politically impossible.

If inflation takes off, it will move from politically impossible to politically necessary very quickly
    Careful, a bit of drool went on the floor there.
This discussion has been closed.