Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joff Wild says the key to a Labour moderate fightback is un

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I see that the initial claim by FBI that they were looking for a Hispanic in the Mall shooting was miles off. The guy is Turkish.

To be fair: it's Florida, and man who looks a little darkish, but not Arab... what do you guess first Hispanic or Turkish? And even on the terrorism front, there are probably more Hispanic Muslims than Turkish Muslims in Florida.
    Wasn't Florida, it was Washington State.
    Yes, I realise know. I don't know why I thought it was Florida, but I was completely wrong

Hispanics very large in Florida - as everyone who boards a shuttle train to WDW from the carparks knows (messages are repeated in Spanish).
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Trump is now at an all time high at the betting markets, it's not just some polls this weekend are favourable for him, this is actually the true cause:

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/780079712345489408

If Trump doesn't have to fight the moderator his chances of victory at the debate rises, and if he wins the debate well you know the rest.

On the face of our this looks like a massive win for Trump (especially in light of the Trump lie-or-perjury revelation about the Republican debate) but I wonder if not having a distraction to argue with will work against Trump. This will be the first time he has gone 1-on-1. It all cones down to if Hilary is any good and been preparing for the right thing.
    it is absolutely ridiculous not to fact check outrageous lies from either candidate
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    tyson said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    It's been posted before but worth mentioning again. I'm gobsmacked. :o
    I too think that Brexit is not worth a debate at the moment, the referendum result is final and should be respected in my opinion.

It's a ship that has sailed.
    The only debate that has any consequence today is within the backbench Cameroons, vis a vis Brexit, grammar schools, or whatever else they choose. They hold alot of power.

Sadly, it makes no difference at all what the Labour party, or Lib Dems debate. The LD's should go back to legalising cannabis or reducing the age of consent to 2 years, perhaps allowing a spot of incest, and the Labour party to Zaire, and to decide whether it was worth it in retrospect to host the rumble in the jungle.
    Except the Labour was able to inflict some defeats on the government early in this Parliament. Debating these issues means that they have some say in the media narrative. If they say nothing, the Tories control the narrative totally.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

ydoethur said:

Well the other candidates in that constituency will be cheering. Pity the voters who have to put up with his campaign twaddle.
    Actually, it's a sensible move. You see, Labour don't have enough unfunny comedians with the intellectual sophistication of five year olds. Corbyn and Thornberry are feeling lonely and want someone to join them.
    At least he wouldn't be allowed to wear a beret in the chamber
    Won't he? Will he not claim discrimination if that is the case?
    I think the only time hats were permitted is when you wanted to speak during a division to raise a point of order and you had to put n a top hat. But that stopped in 1998
    They used to be able todo so on budget day I recall
  • Options
    619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Trump is now at an all time high at the betting markets, it's not just some polls this weekend are favourable for him, this is actually the true cause:

If Trump doesn't have to fight the moderator his chances of victory at the debate rises, and if he wins the debate well you know the rest.

On the face of our this looks like a massive win for Trump (especially in light of the Trump lie-or-perjury revelation about the Republican debate) but I wonder if not having a distraction to argue with will work against Trump. This will be the first time he has gone 1-on-1. It all cones down to if Hilary is any good and been preparing for the right thing.
    it is absolutely ridiculous not to fact check outrageous lies from either candidate
    Fact checking ain't the panacea it's made out to be:

https://i.sli.mg/7rUCyY.jpg
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tyson said:

@Hurst Lama and others
    My outlook on foreign policy is really quite pragmatic.

An intervention on Libya would be to support some kind of occupation of the Libyan Mediterranean coast to stop the dangerous trakkifing of migrants through the Med which has a direct impact on Europe. It is madness that we spend all our energies on salvage operations which encourages these poor souls to make this disastrous, life threatening journey.

A military occupation of, even a chunk of, a foreign country? Are you sure? I think I can see where you are coming from in terms of the desired result, but history suggests that such occupations do not end well and the UK no longer has the manpower to do any such thing. It would require a significant expansion of the defence budget before any such open ended commitment could be entered into.

Of course there are those that say that Europe's best interests would have been better served if Cameron and Sarkozy had kept their paws out of Libya to start with, or a the very least confined themselves to the UN authorised actions.

Occupying a port (Tobruk has a certain historical resonance) and landing migrants rescued at sea might work well.

I suspect that is the closest that we could get to an Australian solution to boat people.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

O/T what explains Trump's popularity in Maine? Another poll today has him ahead in Maine 2, and running very close Statewide.

Maine is split into two regions - one much more urban than the other. When you look at the USA map as a whole, the rural areas are by default republican and the heavily urbanised areas Democrat. Or: Trump owns the land, Clinton the people.
    nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

O/T what explains Trump's popularity in Maine? Another poll today has him ahead in Maine 2, and running very close Statewide.

Maine is split into two regions - one much more urban than the other. When you look at the USA map as a whole, the rural areas are by default republican and the heavily urbanised areas Democrat. Or: Trump owns the land, Clinton the people.
    Also Trump is outperforming with non college whites which Maine has much more than national average.
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

Voters there probably like the fact that he isn't religious, unlike most Republican candidates.
    Thanks. Trump leads by 14% in Maine 1, but is 22% behind in Maine 2. I suppose that's explained by the rural/urban divide.

But, even in 1, a 14% lead is the best by a Republican in ages. So, I guess 1 contains lots of fairly secular, but quite right wing, working class White voters. People who are perhaps not bothered by abortion, but are bothered by immigration?
    If I were a Democrat, I would be very worried at what the +14% in Maine 2 portends. There are a lot of working class white voters in the rust belt. Most of whom would not be regarded as regular voters. You know - the ones in the coal industry that Clinton said she would destroy on the altar of Global warming.
    Trump said he would destroy the coal industry too, just more obliquely by saying he would champion shale gas as the forefront of an energy revolution.
    You can do a lot more with coal than just burn it. No reason why you can't use shale gas for energy and coal for chemicals.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    ydoethur said:

Labour have been in a similar position before when George Lansbury lead the party. Ok, the specific circumstances were different as were party rules but he was a pacifist, "extreme" left-winger, popular with the party membership but wholly unattractive to the electorate at large. The Labour party managed to get rid of him and went on to win back power (though the war probably did delay that a bit).

Other way around Mr Llama, surely? As a result of the war, under the leadership of a distinguished former soldier, Labour returned to government in 1940 and remained in power except for two months until 1951. That would have been near inconceivable given they barely cleared 150 seats in 1935. Indeed, it seems very likely that 1950/51 would have been the earliest they could hope to return to power under normal conditions, although much would have hinged on who replaced Chamberlain.

It would also have been inconceivable had Lansbury or one of his ilk remained leader and (a) fully endorsed appeasement (which is of course why he was sacked - he was opposed to rearmament) and (b) presumably refused to serve in the war cabinet. (Although the opposite wasn't true either - few politicians were as consistent in their opposition to Nazi Germany and appeasement as Sinclair, and not only was his party more than halved in 1945 but he lost his own seat.)

Labour's problem at the moment, to get back to the thread header, is that there is no Attlee - even Watson would admit he doesn't measure up. And even if there were there is no Bevin to act as the assassin. And finally, Tyson is right that Labour's vacuity, which I commented on yesterday, means there is no big issue to rally the party around in any case.

The situation is desperate and it is hard to see how it improves unless as has been said, Corbyn dies. In fact, it's hard to see how things could be worse.
    Doc, I was thinking that had not the war intervened then there would have been an election before 1945 at which the Labour Party may well have achieved a majority.

Your implied point that currently Labour has nobody of the stature of Atlee or Bevin I accept totally. More is the pity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

Also Trump is outperforming with non college whites which Maine has much more than national average.
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

Voters there probably like the fact that he isn't religious, unlike most Republican candidates.
    Thanks. Trump leads by 14% in Maine 1, but is 22% behind in Maine 2. I suppose that's explained by the rural/urban divide.

But, even in 1, a 14% lead is the best by a Republican in ages. So, I guess 1 contains lots of fairly secular, but quite right wing, working class White voters. People who are perhaps not bothered by abortion, but are bothered by immigration?
    If I were a Democrat, I would be very worried at what the +14% in Maine 2 portends. There are a lot of working class white voters in the rust belt. Most of whom would not be regarded as regular voters. You know - the ones in the coal industry that Clinton said she would destroy on the altar of Global warming.
    Trump said he would destroy the coal industry too, just more obliquely by saying he would champion shale gas as the forefront of an energy revolution.
    Shale gas is already destroying the coal industry. Look at the extraordinary wave of bankrupcies of coal companies in the US, and the fact that Powder River Basin coal is $11.80/tonne.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    After the scintillating, incontrovertible, comprehensive finality of 'Brexit means Brexit', perhaps they felt there was nothing left to debate.
    Yeah, except the Tory party has a whole day on the matter IIRC.
    I think debating it prior to finding out what Brexit means is just setting up hostages to fortune, like the Lib Dems did.

Keeping the powder dry is probably wise.
    You mean Labour should not take part in the debate so that they can complain afterwards with clean hands.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2016
    Tech nerds....

Am thinking of getting an ultra-wide monitor, 21:9, 34" or 38" (they all seem to be curved these days), either LG or Dell...to replace some of my multi-monitor setup.

Does anybody have one, thoughts, etc?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

@Hurst Lama and others

An intervention on Libya would be to support some kind of occupation of the Libyan Mediterranean coast to stop the dangerous trakkifing of migrants through the Med which has a direct impact on Europe. It is madness that we spend all our energies on salvage operations which encourages these poor souls to make this disastrous, life threatening journey.

A military occupation of, even a chunk of, a foreign country? Are you sure? I think I can see where you are coming from in terms of the desired result, but history suggests that such occupations do not end well and the UK no longer has the manpower to do any such thing. It would require a significant expansion of the defence budget before any such open ended commitment could be entered into.

Of course there are those that say that Europe's best interests would have been better served if Cameron and Sarkozy had kept their paws out of Libya to start with, or a the very least confined themselves to the UN authorised actions.

I'm saying some kind of international coalition....... Even if Libya stabilises which doesn't seem likely, Europe is still hostage to that Govt. Gaddafi threatened to flood Europe with migrants. The only longer term solution strikes me as securing that area and controlling the sea traffic across the Med.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Tech nerds....

Am thinking of getting an ultra-wide monitor, 21:9, 34" or 38" (they all seem to be curved these days), either LG or Dell...to replace some of my multi-monitor setup.

My advice would be to get two :D

More seriously, one ultra wide, plus one normal which you can have in portrait orientation for reading sites like PB ;)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited September 2016

ydoethur said:

Labour's problem at the moment, to get back to the thread header, is that there is no Attlee - even Watson would admit he doesn't measure up. And even if there were there is no Bevin to act as the assassin.

Doc, I was thinking that had not the war intervened then there would have been an election before 1945 at which the Labour Party may well have achieved a majority.

Your implied point that currently Labour has nobody of the stature of Atlee or Bevin I accept totally. More is the pity.
    I apologise if my point appeared implied. It was meant to be plainly stated!

I can imagine many like Joff, Rochdale, Tyson etc would sympathise (in this respect only) with the Southern lady who wrote in 1865: 'Calhoun and Clay are gone and they have been replaced by fools and madmen who have led us to ruin.' (I paraphrase as I don't have the book to hand - it's at school for A-level coursework).

Many Americans are doubtless feeling the same way again.
  • Options
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    rcs1000 said:

@HurstLlama:

Do you think that (and let's choose them as whipping boys of the day) Goldman Sachs has the right to have its offices where it likes, and according to whatever conditions it likes?

(Bear in mind, of course, that the moral duty of the CEO of Goldman Sachs is to his shareholders.)

He - and it's almost always a he - is morally obligated to let governments know the consequences of their decisions. If he's lying to the government (as in, he has no intention of moving staff abroad in the event of Hard Brexit), that would be reprehensible.

But if he is merely explaining what he will do, that that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Certainly, it is no different to what I would expect the CEO of Nissan or GM to say to the government if it was proposed that the UK was about to put a 50% tax on imported steel.

If someone walks up to you after you leave a nightclub at 2am, pulls a knife on you and asks you to hand over your wallet or he is going to spread your insides over the pavement, is he explaining to you the consequence of your decision of whether to hand over your wallet or not, or threatening you ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

@HurstLlama:

Do you think that (and let's choose them as whipping boys of the day) Goldman Sachs has the right to have its offices where it likes, and according to whatever conditions it likes?

(Bear in mind, of course, that the moral duty of the CEO of Goldman Sachs is to his shareholders.)

He - and it's almost always a he - is morally obligated to let governments know the consequences of their decisions. If he's lying to the government (as in, he has no intention of moving staff abroad in the event of Hard Brexit), that would be reprehensible.

But if he is merely explaining what he will do, that that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Certainly, it is no different to what I would expect the CEO of Nissan or GM to say to the government if it was proposed that the UK was about to put a 50% tax on imported steel.

If someone walks up to you after you leave a nightclub at 2am, pulls a knife on you and asks you to hand over your wallet or he is going to spread your insides over the pavement, is he explaining to you the consequence of your decision of whether to hand over your wallet or not, or threatening you ?
    Moving office is a legal activity.
    Mugging someone is not.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Indigo:

I'm staggered, to be honest, at your comparison.

Goldman Sachs is doing what it has a moral and ethical imperative to do, to look after the interests of its shareholders inside the bounds of the law.

To compare that to a mugging is incredible. Absolutely astonishing.
  • Options
    It is beyond nasty, it is toxic. Momentum and their fellow travellers are poisoning politics in this country.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    RobD said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Fact checking ain't the panacea it's made out to be:

https://i.sli.mg/7rUCyY.jpg
    That is f****** hilarious. Thank you for sharing.
  • Options

It is beyond nasty, it is toxic. Momentum and their fellow travellers are poisoning politics in this country.
    No no no you have it all wrong, it is all Brexit's fault....
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

@Hurst Lama and others

I'm saying some kind of international coalition....... Even if Libya stabilises which doesn't seem likely, Europe is still hostage to that Govt. Gaddafi threatened to flood Europe with migrants. The only longer term solution strikes me as securing that area and controlling the sea traffic across the Med.
    I doubt you would ever get an international coalition to go and occupy the Libyan coast. Who would join in?

As for commanding the sea traffic in the Med the EU nations, even without Britain, can do that. Unfortunately what happens at the moment is that having intercepted a boat full of people desperate to make their way to Europe the navies then give them their wish by acting as a ferry service to make sure they get there safely. This I am sure acts as an encouragement to the people traffickers to cram even more people into even more unsafe boats, safe in the knowledge that the taxpayers of the EU will finish the job for them.

• Options
    Guido's timeline from Liverpool today is selective - but it paints a really unpleasant picture of life in Corbyn's Labour

9:46am: Corbyn tells Jewish peer who quit Labour over anti-Semitism to “reflect“.

9:56am: Corbyn says he backs war crimes investigations into British troops.

10:00am: Corbyn says he opposes giving more resources to MI6.

10:22am: McDonnell defends calling Esther McVey “a stain on humanity”.

10:40am: Yvette Cooper tells McDonnell to apologise.

11:06am: McDonnell doubles down, says “yes I do” think they were the right words.

11:15pm: Derek Hatton spotted in the conference hall.

11:52am: Ken Livingstone talks about Hitler on the BBC.

1:42am: Delegate rants about “Jewish MPs” and “Jewish plot to oust Corbyn”.

1:50pm: Fringe speaker compares Tory welfare policy to Nazis’ Arbeit Macht Frei.

5:00pm: Momentum host speaker who called for a Jewish man’s throat to be cut.

5:25pm: Anti-war merchandise mocking injured British soldiers on sale.

6:00pm: Jackie Walker says anti-Semitism in Labour is “exaggerated“.

6:30pm: Leaflets circulated: “Jewish Labour Movement does not belong in Labour”.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

Shale gas is already destroying the coal industry. Look at the extraordinary wave of bankrupcies of coal companies in the US, and the fact that Powder River Basin coal is $11.80/tonne.
    Well quite. But Trump is simultaneously saying he's going to revive coal whilst promoting its chief killer.
  • Options

Guido's timeline from Liverpool today is selective - but it paints a really unpleasant picture of life in Corbyn's Labour

9:46am: Corbyn tells Jewish peer who quit Labour over anti-Semitism to “reflect“.

11:06am: McDonnell doubles down, says “yes I do” think they were the right words.

1:50pm: Fringe speaker compares Tory welfare policy to Nazis’ Arbeit Macht Frei.

6:30pm: Leaflets circulated: “Jewish Labour Movement does not belong in Labour”.

Livingstone went one broadcast (This Week, thank god it is back!) without mentioning Hitler. Must have been quite a challenge.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Indigo:

Goldman Sachs is doing what it has a moral and ethical imperative to do, to look after the interests of its shareholders inside the bounds of the law.

You are a little transparent about your former loyalties ;)

The point I was making is that the difference is largely one of tone, and the point at which it ceases being "useful information" and becomes coercion. Why do they have to tell the government what they might be thinking of doing, why not wait to see what the government actually does, and then react to it, the only plausible reason would be to attempt to alter the outcome.

Compare and contrast Vodafone and Gordon Brown's Mixer Taxes.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/4454870/Brown-changes-message-on-mixers.html
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    After the vaguely racist mugs from GE 2015...I presume Labour will producing Antisemitic anti-Zionist ones for sale at the conference...
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    SeanT said:

Just realised that the new Corbynite Labour party reminds me of me, aged about 18 and a half.

A cocktail of insecurities and immaturities, symptomized by weirdly intense sarcasm, outbreaks of tedious sniggering, a constant, debilitating desire to strike a pose, and a generalised, aggressive wankiness where everyone else just sighs, and waits for you to grow up

Thing is, by my second year at Uni I was starting to grow up, and by the time I was 20 or 21 I was acceptable for human company.

I'm not sure we can have the same hopes for Labour

And by the time you were 30? ;)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

Well quite. But Trump is simultaneously saying he's going to revive coal whilst promoting its chief killer.
    Isn't that rather similar to Corbyn's policies of reopening coal mines whilst promoting green energy (or somesuch)?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Livingstone went one broadcast (This Week, thank god it is back!) without mentioning Hitler. Must have been quite a challenge.
    It was a real 'Kampf' so to speak.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Labour is now officially the party of cranks, fools and dangerous nutters. They make the old Lib Dems look mature and estimable. Fuck, they make Mebyon Kernow look statesmanlike

Doesn't this mean that the UKIP supporters should now migrate over TO Labour?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

There is no way to revive the fortunes of the US coal industry*, short of banning shale gas. When natural gas was $12/mmcf, coal mines in Wyoming and West Virginia were highly profitable. With natural gas under $2.50, the market for coal is much, much smaller**.

* Yes, some coal will still be mined. But a whole bunch less, and at a much lower price.
    ** Natural gas is simply better for power generation than coal. The operating (i.e. non-fuel) costs for coal are much higher, because you have to deal with ash, with conveyor belts, etc.
  • Options
    619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

That's the job for the other candidate - if they know their brief they should be able to pounce.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

After the vaguely racist mugs from GE 2015...I presume Labour will producing Antisemitic anti-Zionist ones for sale at the conference...

One would hope there's an entire unit at Conservative Central Office dedicated to gathering evidence of Corbyn Labour's manifold associations with and endorsements of Irish Republican violence, Islamist Jihadism and anti-Semitism. If there's not enough evidence to attempt a thoroughgoing and permanent destruction of the Labour Party now, then there probably will be by 2020.

The Tories ought not to be reticent about going in for the kill on this one. They would be doing the country a great service.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

There is no way to revive the fortunes of the US coal industry*, short of banning shale gas. When natural gas was $12/mmcf, coal mines in Wyoming and West Virginia were highly profitable. With natural gas under $2.50, the market for coal is much, much smaller**.

* Yes, some coal will still be mined. But a whole bunch less, and at a much lower price.
    ** Natural gas is simply better for power generation than coal. The operating (i.e. non-fuel) costs for coal are much higher, because you have to deal with ash, with conveyor belts, etc.
    Presumably the relative small amount mined will be used as the reason for keeping costs of coal for domestic heating ridiculously high, owing to the lack of economy of scale in the market, with the major generators moving away from coal it should be a bumper time for rural people wanting coal in their furnaces.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Tech nerds....

I have been looking at the Dell Ultrasharp range recently. I got a new machine. The graphics card has a Display Port out, but claims to support multiple monitors. Turns out it is Display port 1.2 which allows you to daisy chain monitors together if they also support 1.2 and have a display port OUT connector. The new larger Dell Ultrasharps do...

So depending on your graphics card you could get 2 (or more) and you can run them in different orientations
  • Options
    619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Its not the job of the media, it would be impossible to fact check completely and in an unbiased fashion in real time in the middle of a debate, all that would come out would be the moderators own prejudices.

Its the job of the candidates opponent to call them on any statement they feel is inaccurate, for which they should be properly briefed and practised.

Saying in effect that Hillary sucks at debates and so its the job of the moderator and the TV company to pick up the slack for her inability to hold Trump on the accuracy of his statements won't wash, if she wins she will have to do the same with Putin.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Labour is now officially the party of cranks, fools and dangerous nutters. They make the old Lib Dems look mature and estimable. Fuck, they make Mebyon Kernow look statesmanlike

Oi, Sean, lay off Mebyon Kernow. We all know customs barriers at the Tamar, a 500% tax on pasties and the compulsory flogging of Prince Charles are sound policies for a happier Britain.

Labour, on the other hand...
  • Options
    Discovered a LD Liz Leffman leaflet in my letter box today, first sign of the by-election in Chipping Norton, but then i've been stuck indoors all week with a sprained ankle.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412
    RobD said:

That was Robot Livingstone. The HilliaryBot eye issues were a Beta release issue.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup - though if Trump offers a government that isn't actively death-to-coal that will be an improvement from the point of view of the miners and mining companies.
  • Options
    Corbyn being congratulated by Adams and McGuiness on Twitter, I assume a card from Khaled Meshaal is in the post ;)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Hillary sucks at debates

Really? Has she been taking lessons from Bill?

Although it could be argued he blew rather than sucked :wink:
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

@Indigo:

You are a little transparent about your former loyalties ;)

The point I was making is that the difference is largely one of tone, and the point at which it ceases being "useful information" and becomes coercion. Why do they have to tell the government what they might be thinking of doing, why not wait to see what the government actually does, and then react to it, the only plausible reason would be to attempt to alter the outcome.

Compare and contrast Vodafone and Gordon Brown's Mixer Taxes.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/4454870/Brown-changes-message-on-mixers.html
    Former loyalties?

When I left Goldman Sachs they stole half a million dollars worth* of stock from me. They didn't need to. Plenty of other leavers got to keep the stock they gotten as part of their bonuses, or at IPO.

I could have written Citibank or Blackrock or anyone else.

A Finance Co Inc (AFC) may or may not choose to continue the same scale operation in the UK post Brexit.

A part of the decision will we determined by the terms of the relationship between the UK and the EU, because the London is the financial capital of Europe. It's where Italian cable companies come when they need to do a share offering, or to get advice on an M&A offering.

The management of AFC is not just within its rights, but morally obliged to tell the government how it is likely to behave under certain scenarios.

The government, on the other hand, answers only to its voters. It is within its right - nay, ethically obliged - to tell AFC to f*ck off if it believes that (a) AFC is lying, (b) it would not be the right thing to give in to pressure, or (c) etc., etc., etc.

Corporations are allowed to threaten governments. Governments are allowed to threaten corporations. There is nothing unethical in looking after the interests of your shareholders or voters.

* I'm using the high point of Goldman's stock price, rather than the value when I left, because it makes the story sound better. I'm also ignoring capital gains taxes. So, probably the loss to me was more like $50,000 or so at the time. But still...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's the OMRLP I feel sorry for, they now have to rebrand as the Sensible Party.
  • Options

If that summary is accurate I would have thought that there were numerous criminal offences disclosed, not least under laws introduced by the last Labour government. I am sure no action or even investigation will be taken, but what does that show us about the modern Labour Party?

If it is accurate of course.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Former loyalties?

When I left Goldman Sachs they stole half a million dollars worth* of stock from me. They didn't need to. Plenty of other leavers got to keep the stock they gotten as part of their bonuses, or at IPO.

snip

* I'm using the high point of Goldman's stock price, rather than the value when I left, because it makes the story sound better. I'm also ignoring capital gains taxes. So, probably the loss to me was more like $50,000 or so at the time. But still...

:o blimey! Did you get anything back?
  • Options
    While Corbyn is a sick joke, we know he will never be In government.

But what he has done is create an entirely new movement, masquerading as "Labour", which inherits de facto control of large swathes of local government.

Ow long therefore before we see the return of loony left controlled councils?

Corbyn and his ilk could wreak major damage on this country yet, even if at a national level the party is irrelevant.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Scott_P said:

Tech nerds....

I have been looking at the Dell Ultrasharp range recently. I got a new machine. The graphics card has a Display Port out, but claims to support multiple monitors. Turns out it is Display port 1.2 which allows you to daisy chain monitors together if they also support 1.2 and have a display port OUT connector. The new larger Dell Ultrasharps do...

So depending on your graphics card you could get 2 (or more) and you can run them in different orientations
    Could you explain that please, preferably in English
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Presumably the relative small amount mined will be used as the reason for keeping costs of coal for domestic heating ridiculously high, owing to the lack of economy of scale in the market, with the major generators moving away from coal it should be a bumper time for rural people wanting coal in their furnaces.
    It should, but you've just revealed the other reason why gas is fundamentally cheaper. Getting that coal to someone's furnace? That means loading it onto a railcart at the mine, moving it (on probably more than one train) to a destination terminal. Unloading it into a pile. Reloading it into a lorry. Unloading it at a local distribution centre. Reloading it in a smaller vehicle and getting it to the person's house.

Natural gas, on the other hand, will be piped in some places all the way to the home, factory or power station. And even if there is no piped gas, it only needs to get to the local bottling plant. Much, much cheaper than coal.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2016
    Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Not one living president has said they believe Donald Trump has what it takes to be Commander-in-Chief. hrc.io/2d1agpY

Why doesn't she mention that 39 out of 43 former presidents don't have a bad word to say about him?

Pft.

Yet another half-truth from Hillary.
  • Options

If that summary is accurate I would have thought that there were numerous criminal offences disclosed, not least under laws introduced by the last Labour government. I am sure no action or even investigation will be taken, but what does that show us about the modern Labour Party?

I would not be surprised if it is all entirely accurate. And nor would most people who have paid any attention to Labour's descent into madness, to say nothing of Corbyn and McDonnell's extremist associations and the behaviour of some of the Far Left fringe outfits like STW that they endorse.

Criminal behaviour though? Peddling conspiracy theories and offending most peoples' taste and decency are not the same thing as incitement to violence and/or racial hatred. Most likely there has been plenty of the former around the Labour conference, but the latter has been absent or restricted to quiet, dark and expletive-strewn mutterings. Probably no criminal cases to answer.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Not one living president has said they believe Donald Trump has what it takes to be Commander-in-Chief. hrc.io/2d1agpY

Why doesn't she mention that 39 out of 43 former presidents don't have a bad word to say about him?

Pft.

Also talk about small number statistics!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

That's the job for the other candidate - if they know their brief they should be able to pounce.
    Them the other person denies or blisters poor changes the subject.

This is what happened between Trump and Jeb. Jeb started a fact that made Trump look bad, in response Trump stone cold lied to make himself look good. It took too long for the media post debate to identify the lie.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    After the scintillating, incontrovertible, comprehensive finality of 'Brexit means Brexit', perhaps they felt there was nothing left to debate.
    I think debating it prior to finding out what Brexit means is just setting up hostages to fortune, like the Lib Dems did.

You mean Labour should not take part in the debate so that they can complain afterwards with clean hands.
    Pretty much!

Until May reveals what she has in mind we do not know. No point in commenting on a pig in a poke.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Them the other person denies or blisters poor changes the subject.

This is what happened between Trump and Jeb. Jeb started a fact that made Trump look bad, in response Trump stone cold lied to make himself look good. It took too long for the media post debate to identify the lie.
    If it took the media so long to do it, why would the moderator be any quicker?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

Its not the job of the media, it would be impossible to fact check completely and in an unbiased fashion in real time in the middle of a debate, all that would come out would be the moderators own prejudices.

Its the job of the candidates opponent to call them on any statement they feel is inaccurate, for which they should be properly briefed and practised.

Saying in effect that Hillary sucks at debates and so its the job of the moderator and the TV company to pick up the slack for her inability to hold Trump on the accuracy of his statements won't wash, if she wins she will have to do the same with Putin.
    No, the problem is the sheer volume of Trump's lies. If Hillary has to spend her allotted minutes directly calling out Trump each time, when does she get her own message across?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Tech nerds....

Could you explain that please, preferably in English
    Instead of requiring an output cable from the video card (computer) to each monitor, you can 'daisychain' them together: you can have a cable from the computer to Monitor A, then another cable from Monitor A to Monitor B, and another from Monitor B to Monitor C.

It *can* make configuration and cabling easier.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

You guys are joking - right?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

No, the problem is the sheer volume of Trump's lies. If Hillary has to spend her allotted minutes directly calling out Trump each time, when does she get her own message across?
    Yep, which means he has found a (probably) winning formula under the current system. TV debates clearly work best for blustering fibbers. But TV debates are too dynamic for real time fact checking in any way that would find bipartisan acceptability and be credible with the viewers. A new format needs to be found, but its unlikely to happen while the media are in love with live hand-to-hand political combat. In 2020 there will be two blustering fibbers at this rate as the formula apparently works.

Hillary has the secondary problem that her own credibility is shot and she has a reputation for telling whoppers, so the public are largely going to discount her attempts to call Trump out.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2016

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

Well, I am at least.

Btw, does anyone know when the next reuters poll dump is due? And - does anyone other than nate silver actually have access to the tables?

http://www.reuters.com/statesofthenation/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Pretty much!

Until May reveals what she has in mind we do not know. No point in commenting on a pig in a poke.
    Of course, Labour could show some leadership on the issue.

What am I saying? Scrub that.....
  • Options

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

The whole problem with Hilary and the reason she has not hammered Trump into the ground is that she has no message. Sanders did, even though it was a controversial one. So does Trump, for a given value of message: 'things are shit because Washington is in hock to big business and immigrants exist' (the fact that it is an inaccurate message is a routine detail).

Indeed, spending time calling out Trump on his lies would be a skilful thing to do, as she would then not have to explain her own dismal record on healthcare and foreign affairs, or explain why people should vote for her merely because she is a woman.
  • Options

SeanT said:

It's the OMRLP I feel sorry for, they now have to rebrand as the Sensible Party.
    :D
  • Options

Chair of Jewish Labour Movement points out poll showing just 8% of British Jews now support Labour. Audience member: "whose fault is that!"

— Adam Bienkov (@AdamBienkov) September 25, 2016
  • Options
    Floater said:
    This is just outrageous. I well remember the labour conference speech when Kinnock took on the militants and won leaving the way for Tony Blair's eventually taking and holding onto power.

Listening and watching today with ever increasing horror I never thought I would feel sorry for Yvette Cooper, Tristan Hunt, Chukka Umma and others as they are overpowered by the far left marxist party that Corbyn has turned labour into.

The moderates simply must declare non co-operation with Corbyn and create their own shadow cabinet and fight within the labour party for the survival of a realistic opposition to the government.

And I say this as a conservative party member who derives absolutely no pleasure in the destruction of labour. The conservative conference will give Theresa May the opportunity to demonstrate that there is only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military.

How has it come to pass that any UK party can actively hate the Country, the national anthem, it's soldiers, is mysoginic and anti semitic and is endorsed by Hamas and the IRA.

Just unbelievable and totally unacceptable. The labour MP's have a huge responsibility to fight against Corbyn, after all he voted against his own party over 500 times
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

The whole problem with Hilary and the reason she has not hammered Trump into the ground is that she has no message. Sanders did, even though it was a controversial one. So does Trump, for a given value of message: 'things are shit because Washington is in hock to big business and immigrants exist' (the fact that it is an inaccurate message is a routine detail).

Indeed, spending time calling out Trump on his lies would be a skilful thing to do, as she would then not have to explain her own dismal record on healthcare and foreign affairs, or explain why people should vote for her merely because she is a woman.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

Well, I am at least.

Btw, does anyone know when the next reuters poll dump is due? And - does anyone other than nate silver actually have access to the tables?

http://www.reuters.com/statesofthenation/
    I am too, in case that wasn't obvious!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

An earlier version;

Mao, Deng and Liang are on a boat. The boat sinks. Who is saved?

China.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Southern's resume above is interesting. For me, personally, this election was a watershed.

This was the first election since 1977 when I started to vote, internal or external, that I did not vote.

I did not forget.

I couldn't vote for Corbyn as I have distinct memories from the 80's in London [ not Militant Tendency ]. Though, I would not categorise Corbyn or McDonnell as Trots, my personal preference would be to call them Loonies. That is what distinguishes them from Ken Livingston. Ken knew where his votes were. He opened up constituencies which others had simply ignored.

I could not vote for Smith. Until a couple of weeks before the election was announced, I had never heard of him ! I probably know even less about him now.

I probably fall in the third of Southern's five groups above but I could not even bring myself to vote for Smith. I should make it clear that I also would not have voted for Angela Eagle. I would not vote for people who voted to bomb Syria [ "we must do something" brigade - only God knows what we have done so far ! ] even after the Iraq disaster from which a lot of today's troubles can be traced. I actually agree with Corbyn on Trident.

I could have voted for Cooper or even Burnham or Nandy if they had stood. Maybe, not enthusiastically but I would have voted for one of them.

I am 61. Unlike Kinnock, I am sure I will see a Labour government again. Probably in 2022 or a bit later. I am going nowhere. I am not cutting my card up.
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales

"... only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military ..."

Which party do you have in mind that will support our military? Surely not the one that has been in government for the last six years.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Southern's resume above is interesting. For me, personally, this election was a watershed.

This was the first election since 1977 when I started to vote, internal or external, that I did not vote.

I did not forget.

I couldn't vote for Corbyn as I have distinct memories from the 80's in London [ not Militant Tendency ]. Though, I would not categorise Corbyn or McDonnell as Trots, my personal preference would be to call them Loonies. That is what distinguishes them from Ken Livingston. Ken knew where his votes were. He opened up constituencies which others had simply ignored.

I could not vote for Smith. Until a couple of weeks before the election was announced, I had never heard of him ! I probably know even less about him now.

I probably fall in the third of Southern's five groups above but I could not even bring myself to vote for Smith. I should make it clear that I also would not have voted for Angela Eagle. I would not vote for people who voted to bomb Syria [ "we must do something" brigade - only God knows what we have done so far ! ] even after the Iraq disaster from which a lot of today's troubles can be traced. I actually agree with Corbyn on Trident.

I could have voted for Cooper or even Burnham or Nandy if they had stood. Maybe, not enthusiastically but I would have voted for one of them.

I am 61. Unlike Kinnock, I am sure I will see a Labour government again. Probably in 2022 or a bit later. I am going nowhere. I am not cutting my card up.

Labour members need to remain and fight for decency
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Speedy said:

An earlier version;

Mao, Deng and Liang are on a boat. The boat sinks. Who is saved?

China.
    Actually Deng saved China with a lot of help from Lee Kuan Yew.
  • Options

I made the same point up thread about the "stain on humanity" double down. Of course lefties are righteous and the normal laws that apply to other political parties and the proles don't apply to them.

Again had this been the outcome at a Tory party conference then Twitter would be off the scale and the BBC news team in complete meltdown for weeks.
  • Options

@Big_G_NorthWales

"... only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military ..."

Which party do you have in mind that will support our military? Surely not the one that has been in government for the last six years.

No other party will back the military better than the conservative party
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Presumably, the man who talked about Arbeit Macht Frei meant it as a compliment. I guess that tomorrow's Agenda is:-

10 a.m. Did Six Million Really Die? A panel discussion between David Irving, Nick Griffin, John McDonnell, and Ken Livingstone

11.30 a.m. The Eternal Jew. A presentation from former President Ahmedinejad of Iran.

12.30 p.m. Tory Women. Do we hang them, or do we shoot them? John McDonnell.

1.30 p.m. Break for Lunch.

2.30 p.m. British Soldiers, the Murderers Among Us. Gerry Adams and Phil Shiner.

3.30 p.m. ISIS or Al Qaeda? Open forum discussion about which is the more progressive movement.

5 p.m. Address from the Dear Leader.

• Options
    surbiton said:

Actually Deng saved China with a lot of help from Lee Kuan Yew.

The joke dates from the early 1970s.

Re Deng, brilliant at economics. Pity about Tiananman Square...
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

She used the word "living", in case you missed it. Two of them are Republican.
  • Options

Chair of Jewish Labour Movement points out poll showing just 8% of British Jews now support Labour. Audience member: "whose fault is that!"

I'm surprised it's as high as 8%.
  • Options

While Corbyn is a sick joke, we know he will never be In government.

But what he has done is create an entirely new movement, masquerading as "Labour", which inherits de facto control of large swathes of local government.

Ow long therefore before we see the return of loony left controlled councils?

Corbyn and his ilk could wreak major damage on this country yet, even if at a national level the party is irrelevant.

Good point. It won't be long as Derek Hatton was back in the fold today as well welcomed as a long lost comrade. Perhaps this is Labours strategy. As electoral success is beyond them at national level why not go for local level and then frustrate by will full non compliance anything the government tries to impose. A guerrilla war from the provinces. Hatton did this previously of course.

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the Kinnock household tonight.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Well the other candidates in that constituency will be cheering. Pity the voters who have to put up with his campaign twaddle.
    Actually, it's a sensible move. You see, Labour don't have enough unfunny comedians with the intellectual sophistication of five year olds. Corbyn and Thornberry are feeling lonely and want someone to join them.
    At least he wouldn't be allowed to wear a beret in the chamber
    Won't he? Will he not claim discrimination if that is the case?
    Uniforms cannot be worn in the Commons.
    "Parliament has been beret, beret good to me!"
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Presumably, the man who talked about Arbeit Macht Frei meant it as a compliment. I guess that tomorrow's Agenda is:-

10 a.m. Did Six Million Really Die? A panel discussion between David Irving, Nick Griffin, John McDonnell, and Ken Livingstone

11.30 a.m. The Eternal Jew. A presentation from former President Ahmedinejad of Iran.

2.30 p.m. British Soldiers, the Murderers Among Us. Gerry Adams and Phil Shiner.

3.30 p.m. ISIS or Al Qaeda? Open forum discussion about which is the more progressive movement.

"3.30 p.m. ISIS or Al Qaeda? Open forum discussion about which is the more progressive movement"

Presumably, AQ as they are now an US ally.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Sean_F said:

I'm surprised it's as high as 8%.

They are all probably the ones that have a weird lefty guilt over their Jewish heritage i.e the Noam Chomsky's of this world.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

Father and brother to one of Trump's beaten rivals.

Of the other two, one is her husband.

That leaves Carter.

It's really amazing this republicanism that means you get people on merit rather than on the basis of which family they're from.
  • Options

@Big_G_NorthWales

Which party cut military strength the most ? Ans: Blue is the colour.
  • Options

Floater said:
    This is just outrageous. I well remember the labour conference speech when Kinnock took on the militants and won leaving the way for Tony Blair's eventually taking and holding onto power.

Listening and watching today with ever increasing horror I never thought I would feel sorry for Yvette Cooper, Tristan Hunt, Chukka Umma and others as they are overpowered by the far left marxist party that Corbyn has turned labour into.

The moderates simply must declare non co-operation with Corbyn and create their own shadow cabinet and fight within the labour party for the survival of a realistic opposition to the government.

And I say this as a conservative party member who derives absolutely no pleasure in the destruction of labour. The conservative conference will give Theresa May the opportunity to demonstrate that there is only one party in the Country who will govern for all, protect us and respect and support our military.

How has it come to pass that any UK party can actively hate the Country, the national anthem, it's soldiers, is mysoginic and anti semitic and is endorsed by Hamas and the IRA.

Just unbelievable and totally unacceptable. The labour MP's have a huge responsibility to fight against Corbyn, after all he voted against his own party over 500 times
    I'd love to think the Conservative Party respect and support our military, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

But, the Labour Party is in the grip of awful people.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

And.......Which party sends them to an illegal war without adequate kit and protection and 6 rounds each?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I laughed, and then I realised this is not a laughing matter...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Remind me - which party indeed the only party - has committed to 2% defence spending and renewing Trident.

Also which party, indeed the only party, is backing the prosecution of UK troops, is objecting to increasing M16, and allows disgusting literature on our disabled troops at their National Conference
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

I'd love to think the Conservative Party respect and support our military, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

But, the Labour Party is in the grip of awful people.
    I think you will see that support for the military will be at the centre of Theresa May's conference speech
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

And.......Which party sends them to an illegal war without adequate kit and protection and 6 rounds each?
    Labour - the REAL Nasty Party?
  • Options

surbiton said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Remind me - which party indeed the only party - has committed to 2% defence spending and renewing Trident.

Also which party, indeed the only party, is backing the prosecution of UK troops, is objecting to increasing M16, and allows disgusting literature on our disabled troops at their National Conference
    Indeed and don't forget the appointment of those defence stalwarts Lt. Col. Nugee and Red Ken to undertake Labours defence review.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

This is a major political party that has gone quite mad.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited September 2016
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

This is a major political party that has gone quite mad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6hY_50Dh0

Cane't believe it's nearly 25 years since Freddie died
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Hillary Clinton
    @HillaryClinton

Pft.

Father and brother to one of Trump's beaten rivals.

Of the other two, one is her husband.

That leaves Carter.

It's really amazing this republicanism that means you get people on merit rather than on the basis of which family they're from.
    That jibe would be more effective if you'd not just typed "father and brother to ..."
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

"3.30 p.m. ISIS or Al Qaeda? Open forum discussion about which is the more progressive movement"

Presumably, AQ as they are now an US ally.
    Is this the latest belief among the far left?
This discussion has been closed.