Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn and the boundary review: not the disaster for LAB th

1235»

Comments

• Options

I see that the House of Lords has looked at the question who should pull the Article 50 trigger:

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2016/september/brexit-government-must-consult-parliament-before-triggering-article-50-says-house-of-lords/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+out-law-NewsRoundUP+(OUT-LAW+News-RoundUP)

It avoided the legal question and stuck to considering what was appropriate constitutionally. Its view?

"It would be constitutionally inappropriate, not to mention setting a disturbing precedent, for the Executive to act on an advisory referendum without explicit parliamentary approval—particularly one with such significant long-term consequences. The Government should not trigger Article 50 without consulting Parliament."

The only reason for saying this would for the MPs or the Lords to block triggering A50. That would be any even bigger constitutionally disturbing/inappropriate act as it would directly override the will of the people in the referendum.

Therefore, the government need to trigger A50 at a time of their choosing. Anything else is an insult to the people's decision.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

A bit of perspective on the presidential race. Trump certainly seems to have some momentum at the moment, but the electoral college is still a roadblock the size of a boulder in terms of his chance of getting to 270.

Hillary starts with 19 states that have gone Dem EVERY election since 1992. That's 242 electoral votes. She's only 28 away, which means she could lose every swing state and only win Florida, and she'd still be president.

Trump needs to break that wall, and do what McCain and Romney tried to do but fail, and bring Pennsylvania into play. Clinton has been consistently ahead here (she's up 6 according to RCP). He's very unlikely to flip this state (Bush Snr was the last GOP candidate to do it), and with Virginia and Colorado looking unlikely too he simply doesn't have a path.

I see 538 is predicting an 81.5% chance Trump is going to win states Obama won last time. Any idea which states are most likely to flip?

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#plus&stateorder
    Iowa, Ohio, Florida
    Ohio is more likely Trump after voting restrictions there. Last time 80,000 voted at the same time as registration, and they broke 5-1 for Obama. He only won it by 166k last time.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Wisconsin, New Hampshire & Pennsylvania look to me to be the three potential "swing states".

Indeed, though all voted for Kerry as well as Obama so I expect Hillary to squeeze home even if Trump wins all the George W Bush 2004 states except Colorado, New Mexico and Virginia (which he may well do)
    Of those, if we assume that this election is going to be most effected by the disenfranchised, PA should be The Donald's primary target. NH has been slowly drifting away from the GOP in recent elections.

On 538's current map, Trump needs Florida and one other. That is very doable, and he seems well and truly underpriced in the betting markets at the moment, unless your view is that this is peak Faintgate and that swing back to Hillary is inevitable from this point. I am unconvinced on this last.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

http://www.270towin.com/news/2016/09/14/poll-trump-within-3-in-maine-leads-by-10-in-2nd-congressional-district_371.html#.V9qMi6nTXqA

This showed me how little I know about U.S politics, I thought red Texas would be on favour of Trumps unworkable policies but not so.

Farmers in Texas use a lot of (illegal) migrant labour, and there are also a lot of naturalised US Latino citizens from past amnesties in Texas. Overall it won't outweigh the massive GOP vote though, Texas is going to vote for Trump.
    Rubio and Trump polling strongly from stuff I saw last night.
    Rubio ?
    http://postonpolitics.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/09/14/cnn-florida-poll-donald-trump-edging-hillary-clinton-rubio-leads-murphy/
    Paging @Cromwell

Rubio rising :D
    He'd be hosing up against Hillary. Probably.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,315
    edited September 2016
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Looking at Mori tables , it seems that Tory lead in England is 5% - compared with 9.5% in May 2015. They lead Labour by an unlikely 25% in Scotland!

The latest Scottish poll has May far ahe
    Major gained 1 seat in 1992 - Aberdeen South - and regained a seat lost to the Libdems at a by election in 1991. Whilst I agree that the Tories could pick up seats from SNP I am sure they are nowhere near 35% - or even 25%. Equally Labour is not on 11%.
    On Mori's England figures Labour would gain 18 Tory seats.
    Certainly May and Davidson are both making a good impression north of the border and of course Major started from a higher base in Scotland than May is so had less potential gains. 18 Labour gains in England would still leave Corbyn with fewer MPs than Brown after the 2010 election, especially if the boundary changes are introduced too

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Election Data
    Maybe the oddest question @PlatoSays

https://t.co/FSU1XlL2u3

Do you think Jesus would support or oppose
    renationalising the railways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xrNaTO1bI
  • Options

Ipsos Mori changes since last month in brackets

Con 40 (-5)

Lab 34 (nc)

UKIP 9 (+3)

LD 6 (-1)

Labour 34?

Must be an outlier :lol:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,050
    A certain punter with a decent track record on these sorts of things:

"One more stumble, and she's done, if it's not already over for her..."
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Con 40 (-5)

Lab 34 (nc)

UKIP 9 (+3)

LD 6 (-1)

Labour 34?

May be so -though Mori are consistent in tha previous two polls put Labour on 34 and 35!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited September 2016
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Wisconsin, New Hampshire & Pennsylvania look to me to be the three potential "swing states".

Indeed, though all voted for Kerry as well as Obama so I expect Hillary to squeeze home even if Trump wins all the George W Bush 2004 states except Colorado, New Mexico and Virginia (which he may well do)
    Of those, if we assume that this election is going to be most effected by the disenfranchised, PA should be The Donald's primary target. NH has been slowly drifting away from the GOP in recent elections.

On 538's current map, Trump needs Florida and one other. That is very doable, and he seems well and truly underpriced in the betting markets at the moment, unless your view is that this is peak Faintgate and that swing back to Hillary is inevitable from this point. I am unconvinced on this last.
    I've quite a lot of Trumpers in my timeline and they're tails up. The half dozen Hillary poolers are doing a lot of whataboutery and Look Squirrel.

I think Trump could do this - I really do. With trust in MSM very low - the media seems to be getting desperate a la Brexit. It's the GOP whose voters have lost the most.

"A major pollster has some stark news: “Americans’ trust and confidence in the mass media ‘to report the news fully, accurately and fairly’ has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32 percent saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year,” writes Art Swift, an analyst for the Gallup poll, which first asked the nation to weigh in on the press in 1972.

"The sentiment has fallen slowly and steadily, and has consistently been below a majority level since 2007.

“Republicans who say they have trust in the media has plummeted to 14 percent from 32% a year ago. This is easily the lowest confidence among Republicans in 20 years,” the analyst noted. Among Democrats, the number is 51 percent, among independents, it is 30 percent.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/14/gallup-poll-american-trust-in-news-media-falls-to-/
  • Options

Talking of swing states, have we heard from JackW recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-n_zk7e0ZU
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I see banning hasn't done anything for his delusions of omniscience :D
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Con 40 (-5)

Lab 34 (nc)

UKIP 9 (+3)

LD 6 (-1)

Labour 34?

May be so -though Mori are consistent in tha previous two polls put Labour on 34 and 35!
    Those could be outliers too :innocent:
  • Options

I see that the House of Lords has looked at the question who should pull the Article 50 trigger:

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2016/september/brexit-government-must-consult-parliament-before-triggering-article-50-says-house-of-lords/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+out-law-NewsRoundUP+(OUT-LAW+News-RoundUP)

It avoided the legal question and stuck to considering what was appropriate constitutionally. Its view?

"It would be constitutionally inappropriate, not to mention setting a disturbing precedent, for the Executive to act on an advisory referendum without explicit parliamentary approval—particularly one with such significant long-term consequences. The Government should not trigger Article 50 without consulting Parliament."

The only reason for saying this would for the MPs or the Lords to block triggering A50. That would be any even bigger constitutionally disturbing/inappropriate act as it would directly override the will of the people in the referendum.

Therefore, the government need to trigger A50 at a time of their choosing. Anything else is an insult to the people's decision.

52% of the people might be insulted. Don't present it as an overwhelming decision by 'the people'.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Pulpstar said:

The deplorables speech feels like Dave's little Englander speech. A last minute gamble because privately they know they are losing.

The similarities between June and November are becoming uncannier by the day.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2016
    weejonnie said:

A bit of perspective on the presidential race. Trump certainly seems to have some momentum at the moment, but the electoral college is still a roadblock the size of a boulder in terms of his chance of getting to 270.

Hillary starts with 19 states that have gone Dem EVERY election since 1992. That's 242 electoral votes. She's only 28 away, which means she could lose every swing state and only win Florida, and she'd still be president.

Trump needs to break that wall, and do what McCain and Romney tried to do but fail, and bring Pennsylvania into play. Clinton has been consistently ahead here (she's up 6 according to RCP). He's very unlikely to flip this state (Bush Snr was the last GOP candidate to do it), and with Virginia and Colorado looking unlikely too he simply doesn't have a path.

Latest LA Times: Trump +6 - this is the last one before the full effect of the CiC debate is felt (8 - 14 Sep) but includes 3 days before Clinton Collapse.
    There is no CiC effect. This is all Clinton Collapse.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,315
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, Pennsylvania is key for both, though Trump needs a big lead in rural areas to overcome Philadelphia
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

The deplorables speech feels like Dave's little Englander speech. A last minute gamble because privately they know they are losing.

The similarities between June and November are becoming uncannier by the day.
    Quite - I wonder what Assange has lined up next - the emails are getting gradually more embarrasing, the pitting of Dems against Dems is very clear. One staffer refers to donors as *clowns*.

I can't begin to imagine how effed off some of these people are right now. It's poisonous contempt for voters, donors and colleagues.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030

Con 40 (-5)

Lab 34 (nc)

UKIP 9 (+3)

LD 6 (-1)

Where the hell was I such that I missed a Tory 45% share poll :o
  • Options
    Hmm, it looks like the recriminations are starting already for the Clinton camp. A liberal forum I frequent which has a few prominent Clinton staffers as members have already started blaming Sanders for running her so hard during the primaries. They also blame him for the lack of support among young people who are now breaking for Johnson and Stein in the four way polling. Their view is that the Sanders camp filled the heads of young people with more of Obama's hopium knowing that Clinton will never be able to offer it in order to sabotage her run for the White House.

It feels like they know they've lost.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Con 40 (-5)

Lab 34 (nc)

UKIP 9 (+3)

LD 6 (-1)

On a plane?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Hmm, it looks like the recriminations are starting already for the Clinton camp. A liberal forum I frequent which has a few prominent Clinton staffers as members have already started blaming Sanders for running her so hard during the primaries. They also blame him for the lack of support among young people who are now breaking for Johnson and Stein in the four way polling. Their view is that the Sanders camp filled the heads of young people with more of Obama's hopium knowing that Clinton will never be able to offer it in order to sabotage her run for the White House.

I actually have no idea what any of Clinton's policies are. I have a reasonable idea what Sanders was suggesting and we know all about Trump, but Clinton I have bugger all idea.
  • Options

RobD said:

Con 40 (-5)

Lab 34 (nc)

UKIP 9 (+3)

LD 6 (-1)

On a plane?
    Quite possibly!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

MaxPB said:

I actually have no idea what any of Clinton's policies are. I have a reasonable idea what Sanders was suggesting and we know all about Trump, but Clinton I have bugger all idea.
    So far those are the replies from ordinary people, what the hell does your candidate stand for? Negative adverts against Trump don't tell us what Clinton stands for, just that she isn't Trump. Again, the similarities between Remain and Clinton are there for anyone to see.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ditto. She likes identity politics a lot though. What she'll do in office hasn't crossed my thousands of POTUS tweets.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So far those are the replies from ordinary people, what the hell does your candidate stand for? Negative adverts against Trump don't tell us what Clinton stands for, just that she isn't Trump. Again, the similarities between Remain and Clinton are there for anyone to see.
    I saw an angry Dems tweet about Hillary's childcare policy last night - how she'd got there first or somesuch. Well, that's fine and dandy - but if we haven't noticed, it didn't happen.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

WireSpy
    Exclusive: John McDonnell welcomed the financial crash and called himself a Marxist, newly found - The Telegraph https://t.co/jGOr4fd7PI

So he's on the record very recently describing himself as a Marxist. He is not a Marxist-Leninist since he has never been close to the CPGB. In which case he is most definitely a Trotskyite, or trot for short. So much for the accusations of being a trot being an insult. In his case it's a statement of fact.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

FPTP is broken, it has been for years.

Today the Tories have 100% of the power.

Because they have 50% of the seats

Because they got 37% support in an election of those that turned out

In total they were supported by 24% of the electorate.

Why would it be better to have a government with the explicit support of 0% of the voters?
    Because together they would speak for a majority.
    Another majority which doesn't necessarily support the said government's composition.

35% supporting A and 25% supporting B does not imply that 60% supports ( A + B ).
    So your answer is that we just get A who nearly twice as many people don't want? Marvellous.
    My answer is that 37% is better than nil, since you can't force a majority to exist.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    According to RCP Clinton is at 209-154 at the moment, a lead of 55. With no toss ups Clinton wins 293-245, a lead of only 48.

It seems to me that we are close to a tipping point where Trump is going to win more of the toss up states than Clinton. Not enough more yet but more. There are a number of toss ups that can swing in the 84 EC votes that Clinton is getting at the moment and it won't take much, probably only another 1-2% swing.

This is getting seriously close and Clinton is currently not on the trail. She really cannot afford to lose much more ground.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is getting seriously close and Clinton is currently not on the trail. She really cannot afford to lose much more ground.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-a-clinton-landslide-would-look-like/

titter.... :D
  • Options
    That's all right, then:

Q: [To McDonnell] You said as a Marxist you welcomed the crash. Do you stand by that?

It was a joke, says McDonnell.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/sep/15/may-approves-hinkley-point-but-with-new-safeguards-over-foreign-nuclear-investment-politics-live

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Nate's snake is an excellent infographic for spot checking state polls against.

Hell of a chat up line too.
    Heh.

I wonder if Trump could win with this:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/rDZw8
    Minnesota is a bit of a random reach, isn't it?
    Oops! Quite right, not sure why I didn't see that. Replace with Nevada + NH I guess. NH much more challenging.
    The fact that it could come down to ME-2 is great. And I wonder which way the House would actually jump if it was a tie - there must be a few Republicans who might be peeled off.
    No don't forget "mandatory reselection" is a feature of American politics and the House only has a two year term. Any (R) that peeled off would lose the next primary in 2018.
    Fair enough. And in any case, I had forgotten that the election is decided by each state delegation (i.e. all their Representatives) having one vote. That ought to make things much more secure for Trump.

Peeling off a member of the electoral college would be far more viable (for either side).
    Imagine if a faithless elector decided the result. It would be outrageous but its possible.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Latest LA Times: Trump +6 - this is the last one before the full effect of the CiC debate is felt (8 - 14 Sep) but includes 3 days before Clinton Collapse.
    The CiC debate was not a proper one on one debate so I doubt had much impact. The first proper head to head debate is on 27th September in New York
    The swing to Trump started before 11th September, but was masked as most polls seem to cover about a week. I do note that 538 is discounting the LA Times by 4, not 6.

If you look at 538s list of Pennsylvania polls then you won't see ANY that polled after September 8th, so the notional Clinton +3.3 is way out of date.
  • Options

That's all right, then:

Q: [To McDonnell] You said as a Marxist you welcomed the crash. Do you stand by that?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/sep/15/may-approves-hinkley-point-but-with-new-safeguards-over-foreign-nuclear-investment-politics-live

I've heard that excuse somewhere before....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

I don't think they know they've lost, they just know it isn't going to be an easy win like they were hoping and expecting.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2016

That's all right, then:

A terrible economic crash that affected people's homes and livelihoods, and McDonnell thinks it ok to joke about it?

• Options

new thread

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-a-clinton-landslide-would-look-like/

titter.... :D
    What a difference a month makes. A Clinton landslide is still a lot more likely than a Trump landside, indeed you wonder if a Republican landslide is any longer possible, but the chances of Trump edging it are improving all the time.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited September 2016
    There is a CBS poll out (which tends to favour Clinton) stating that the race is tied in a 4-way and Clinton +2 head to head. Poll conducted 9th to 13th - so partially before and partially after Clinton Collapse.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-and-hillary-clinton-locked-in-tight-race-nationally-cbsnyt-poll/

It was conducted to phone which may (not will) mean that there could be a shy Trumper effect.
  • Options

new thread

A true gent.
  • Options
    Why the SOD has May agreed to Hinckley? F
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Nate's snake is an excellent infographic for spot checking state polls against.

Hell of a chat up line too.
    Heh.

I wonder if Trump could win with this:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/rDZw8
    Minnesota is a bit of a random reach, isn't it?
    Oops! Quite right, not sure why I didn't see that. Replace with Nevada + NH I guess. NH much more challenging.
    The fact that it could come down to ME-2 is great. And I wonder which way the House would actually jump if it was a tie - there must be a few Republicans who might be peeled off.
    No don't forget "mandatory reselection" is a feature of American politics and the House only has a two year term. Any (R) that peeled off would lose the next primary in 2018.
    Fair enough. And in any case, I had forgotten that the election is decided by each state delegation (i.e. all their Representatives) having one vote. That ought to make things much more secure for Trump.

Peeling off a member of the electoral college would be far more viable (for either side).
    Imagine if a faithless elector decided the result. It would be outrageous but its possible.
    Isn't there one member of the GOP electoral slate in Texas that has already declared he won't ever vote for Trump?
This discussion has been closed.