Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Unite has grown too big for its own good

13»

Comments

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    TSE likes to live dangerously.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Lenny the Lions

Ed the Australian pack

This chap always reminded me of Liberace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrG45Vm3P34
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408

Anyone who doubted Warren Gatland should be exiled to conhome.

Although if there were fewer Welshmen playing today we'd have scored a century.

The Lions are even doing better than Scotland now.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Neil said:

@antifrank

Think how far ahead they'd be if O'Driscoll was playing! ;)

Warren Gatland must have brought O'Driscoll on to the field because the Lions are now leading 16-41.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    I am sooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Hopefully a presage of the Ashes.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    Warren Gatland is the greatest strategist and tactician in history since Julius Caesar and Rafa Benitez.

I mean Rafa won the European Cup with Djimi Traore.

• Options
    Beating Australia by 25 points in Australia.

Blimey. That truly is an epic defeat up there with Zama.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    TSE.Will we miss the Scottish players when they depart?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

God, I hope so!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    TSE.More to the point, wil the Scottish players miss being part of it?
  • Options

DavidL said:

God, I hope so!

Me too.

Well IT Botham is predicting a ten nil England victory over the two series

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    Congratulations to the British and Irish Lions on their series victory in Sydney!
  • Options
    Simply sensational. I will be taking alcohol.

This is what makes sport so compelling.

And there is just nowhere to hide on a rugby field.
  • Options

Well you will be waiting another 70 years for a wimbledon champion for a start.
  • Options
    DL.Do we have one already, and if it turns out to be Andy, when will he be scurrying back to Scotland
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well you will be waiting another 70 years for a wimbledon champion for a start.
    He's not won it yet.

Though I hope he does tomorrow.

I suspect he won't as that Djokovic can play.

• Options

DL.Do we have one already, and if it turns out to be Andy, when will he be scurrying back to Scotland

Do you doubt it?

And Salmond may not be willing to let him vote but Andy remains a Scot.
  • Options

Simply sensational. I will be taking alcohol.

This is what makes sport so compelling.

And there is just nowhere to hide on a rugby field.

Interesting choice of tense there. Not casting any aspersions or anything but...

• Options
    The big question if Andy Murray does win Wimbledon tomorrow, in 70 years time will the chavs be wearing Andy Murray branded clothing ?
  • Options
    For anyone who moans about others talking about film or tv shows - I cite this thread :^ )
  • Options
    In the space of the next few days we could have in addition to the Lions victory, a British Champion at Wimbledon and a new Royal Baby.

Patriotism will be through the roof and this union story will be soon forgotten.
  • Options
    DL No doubt about it A Murray is and always will be a Scot, Will the Scottish Rugby Players miss being part of the Lions Tours in the future, Post Freedom Day
  • Options
    edited July 2013

DL No doubt about it A Murray is and always will be a Scot, Will the Scottish Rugby Players miss being part of the Lions Tours in the future, Post Freedom Day

Ehh, do the Irish?

And anyway we are far too sensible to vote for independence.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,092

In the space of the next few days we could have in addition to the Lions victory, a British Champion at Wimbledon and a new Royal Baby.

Patriotism will be through the roof and this union story will be soon forgotten.

Don't forget a potential F1 victory in Germany as well ...

(Oh dear, I've jut jinxed Lewis, Jenson and co ... )
  • Options
    DL.The clue is in the name.. British and Irish Lions Tour
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

I wonder how many of them are happy about that?

Blocking the boundary changes will work out very, very well for the Lib Dems.
    So that explains why they broke their promises and then lied about it. And then lied again to try and blame someone else.

What a charming, principled and ethical bunch. Just the sort of people you want in government.
  • Options
    40 from 45 kicks from Halfpenny,
    Unlike Ed truly the full shilling.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Charles said:

Neil said:

Scott_P said:

So that explains why they broke their promises and then lied about it. And then lied again to try and blame someone else.

What a charming, principled and ethical bunch. Just the sort of people you want in government.
    Politicians, Charles, they're unbelievable.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

AW, Mr Miliband, what farce assails you now? Ed of that ilk, prospective leader of England and the Other Bits, is having a terrible week.

I’m sorry. I really am. But you couldn’t make this up. And I haven’t even mentioned Falkirk yet. It’s not Mr Miliband’s fault that matters are beyond his control. He tried vainly to stop Tom Watson’s resignation, and the ablutionary notes were part of a script written for him by the cruel, capricious gods of public life.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/the-plug-is-pulled-on-falkirk-campaign.21525895
  • Options
    The Quays area of Sydney might be a dangerous place to visit this evening.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    h1Unite has grown too big for its own good

And ed let it happen because of his weakness.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

MG You live in Scotland, what bullshine..Are you a member of a closed order.

Richard, just civilised , open season after 12 mind you , but chav territory if you are drinking before that. Would probably say a sophisticated refreshment whilst abroad in sunnier climes may be acceptable from 11ish
  • Options

Unite has grown too big for its own good

Unite is almost certainly smaller since Ed took over as leader.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is someone planning a bonfire somewhere
  • Options

Richard, you are getting yourself a bit mixed up, it is the British and Irish Lions , once independent we will still be part of Britain , so you do not need to worry we will still be the mainstay of the lions for a long time to come.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

Sky TV reporting that Ed phoned Livingstone for advice on Unite / Labour crisis last night.
    You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ehh, do the Irish?

And anyway we are far too sensible to vote for independence.

You sticking up for the minority there David
  • Options
    MG, Thats where I live, in warmer climes.Personally I never touch a drop before twelve but in my local village and small town there is much quaffing from 8am, and they aint chavs
  • Options
    Neil said:

Charles said:

Neil said:

Scott_P said:

Politicians, Charles, they're unbelievable.

No, in this case foolish.

Breaking your promise to the electorate can be worked around.

Breaking your promise to a partner undermines your future trustworthiness.

Basic game theory.
  • Options

DL.The clue is in the name.. British and Irish Lions Tour

LOL, Richard does not even know what Britain is, he thinks it is England.............geography not his strongpoint
  • Options

To be fair, Unite's size predated Ed.
  • Options

MG, Thats where I live, in warmer climes.Personally I never touch a drop before twelve but in my local village and small town there is much quaffing from 8am, and they aint chavs

for some reason the drunks abroad seem to be a bit classier and less offensive than UK. I may have been lucky but even when you see them drunk abroad you never see the yobbish violent behaviour that you see across the UK. Makes you wonder what the difference is.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Another PBers mentioned the collapse of Unite's balance sheet the other day - I can't find the details as my Google Fu is lacking, but the numbers quoted suggested that Unite is on a sticky wicket themselves in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    MG, The evening drinking begins at 5pm, on the terrace, with two large whiskies and then onto the local wine.but never reaching intoxication..all over by eight at the latest, then maybe a delicious gelati..It is approaching civilised and celebrates two great alcoholic beverages from two great countries
  • Options
    Being ordered to get the gardening done as it is not raining for a change
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    As UNITE seem to have a rather cavilier attitude to membership in general, i suspect that the UNITE membership figures may not be too accurate!

I think that DH is right, large unions get quite disconnected from their members. The BMA does little for us doctors and mostly is run by people interested in playing politics snd trying to ban all enjoyments in life. They were particularly spineless over the changes to medical training.

But all is not lost, there are Union organisations for Doctors unhappy with the BMA, such as the TUC affiliated HCSA. They are tough negotiators and much more membership focussed.
    Neil said:

Unite has grown too big for its own good

Unite is almost certainly smaller since Ed took over as leader.
  • Options

MG, The evening drinking begins at 5pm, on the terrace, with two large whiskies and then onto the local wine.but never reaching intoxication..all over by eight at the latest, then maybe a delicious gelati..It is approaching civilised and celebrates two great alcoholic beverages from two great countries

Sounds like perfection Richard, enjoy , I must dash speak later
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    On topic.

This is great for Ed.

There are no Unite Tanks in Baghdad the Labour Party.
  • Options

I fondly recall my time in Venice many years ago - the sherbet with licorice stick gelati was just too perfect.

It was like a Sherbet Fountain made sophisticated:^ ) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_v5HQSW-LL0g/SwRLTKL5V8I/AAAAAAAAC_I/v2II5Bh7s8g/s200/walking+sherbet.jpg
  • Options
    The idea that Blair would have consulted Ken Livingstone over the Unite matter just shows how far Ed has moved from Blair's approach.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I cant quite see how a decision that will probably be crucial in saving what could be a large proportion of their seats can be called foolish.
  • Options
    Poor Nico Rosberg.

Mercedes following the inept strategies of Hannibal
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2013
    The % of the ballots that the largest Unions "got" to vote for Ed Milliband.
    UNITE 4.5%
    GMB 3.3%
    UNISON 2.3%
    USDAW 0.5%

Move along .... nothing to see here ........
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Neil said:

Charles said:

I cant quite see how a decision that will probably be crucial in saving what could be a large proportion of their seats can be called foolish.
    If it makes it harder for them to form a trusting partnership and thereby participate in government, then yes, it's foolish.

EDIT: And if your point is more important (accept it's accurate - just a trade off) then they were foolish for making the bargain in the first place
  • Options
    @FoxInSoxUK

"The BMA does little for us doctors and mostly is run by people interested in playing politics snd trying to ban all enjoyments in life."

I always wonder about the sorts who pop up on R4/R5 et al and seem to want ban anything pleasurable.

I've never met a doctor who wasn't portly, or a lush, or a user of other things or a black humour cynic - none of them wished to make anyone else miserable or guilty for eating a bacon sandwich - yet somehow those at the BMA are the most dreary puritanical lot.

Ticking off everyone else is a very poor conversion strategy.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sorry about that,have a word with mr herdson,I took the thread header,take big for stronger,maybe we can agree on that ;-)
  • Options

The idea that Blair would have consulted Ken Livingstone over the Unite matter just shows how far Ed has moved from Blair's approach.

Frankly - that anyone would have consulted Ken about anything non-London centric amazes me. He's a hasbeen with knobs on.

Why would EdM even have him on the radar of *people to reassure* ?

I'm with Dan Hodges here - WTF was he thinking of even thinking Ken was important to call?
  • Options
    Where's seant,he's missing all the fun of ed's troubles and the British & I lions win ;-)
  • Options

UNITE 4.5%
    GMB 3.3%
    UNISON 2.3%
    USDAW 0.5%

Cripes - under 5%? Even allowing for a low turnout blah blah - no wonder MPs and Party members are bearing a grudge.
  • Options

UNITE 4.5%
    GMB 3.3%
    UNISON 2.3%
    USDAW 0.5%

Well done for exposing the fact that Ed did better with the members of the unions who nominated him than with the members of the union that didnt.

• Options
    It's too hot down here in Sussex to be outside much - so here's a Mastermind quiz from a decade ago - how will you do?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3046254.stm - I guessed most of them!
  • Options
    Miliband will want you to think that he’s broken from the unions – and Ken Livingstone to think that he hasn’t

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/leftwatch/2013/07/miliband-will-want-you-to-think-that-hes-broken-from-the-unions-and-ken-livingstone-to-think-that-he.html
  • Options
    Hamilton on pole. This could be a pretty special weekend of British sport.
  • Options
    @DavidL

Will Froome move into Yellow today as well?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Doctors are not unusual in having a miserablist streak, There are a few on here with similar attitudes. Doctors though have better platform to impose their views on others.

Plato said:

@FoxInSoxUK

"The BMA does little for us doctors and mostly is run by people interested in playing politics snd trying to ban all enjoyments in life."

I always wonder about the sorts who pop up on R4/R5 et al and seem to want ban anything pleasurable.

I've never met a doctor who wasn't portly, or a lush, or a user of other things or a black humour cynic - none of them wished to make anyone else miserable or guilty for eating a bacon sandwich - yet somehow those at the BMA are the most dreary puritanical lot.

• Options
    OT I seem to be tripping over trivia today. Fascinating social history stuff.

Jaws was the first *blockbuster* because people literally queued around the block to see it and to *shape-up* is actually a docker's mgt term that relates to the Mob, when to shape-up meant to be picked from one of their union controlled lines for work that day.

One of my favour books is Brewer's Phrase and Fable - but can anyone recommend another that covers more contemporary usage?
  • Options

Doctors are not unusual in having a miserablist streak, There are a few on here with similar attitudes. Doctors though have better platform to impose their views on others.

Plato said:

@FoxInSoxUK

Good point - I'm a sunny-side up sort so find this way of thinking very peculiar and probably more irritating than most.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@DavidL

Will Froome move into Yellow today as well?

I've seen the polling. The yellows are nowhere.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318

UNITE 4.5%
    GMB 3.3%
    UNISON 2.3%
    USDAW 0.5%

Yes, but of course the point is that they were still given a 33% weighting in the Electoral College.

So the views of less than 10% of Union members counted for the same as the views of the vast majority of Party members (and 100% of MPs).

Think about it - it's absolutely breathtaking.

And then remember that the ballot papers came inside envelopes saying "Vote Ed Miliband".

Incidentally the Conservatives badly need to get hold of one of those envelopes. The media hasn't made much of them but the Conservatives should use them prominently in the 2015 GE campaign to drive home the message that Ed only won because the Unions fixed it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,092
    Plato said:

OT I seem to be tripping over trivia today. Fascinating social history stuff.

Jaws was the first *blockbuster* because people literally queued around the block to see it and to *shape-up* is actually a docker's mgt term that relates to the Mob, when to shape-up meant to be picked from one of their union controlled lines for work that day.

One of my favour books is Brewer's Phrase and Fable - but can anyone recommend another that covers more contemporary usage?

I think that depends on how you define 'blockbuster'. The wiki page has more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_(entertainment)
    Before Jaws set box office records in the summer of 1975, successful films such as Quo Vadis, The Ten Commandments, Gone With the Wind, and Ben-Hur were called blockbusters based purely on the amount of money earned at the box office. Jaws is regarded as the first film of New Hollywood's 'blockbuster era' with its current meaning, implying a film genre.
    Although the dictionary appears to differ:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blockbuster

I must admit I'd always taken blockbuster to mean a very successful film, rather than a genre. Which probably shows what I know ...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    Plato said:

UNITE 4.5%
    GMB 3.3%
    UNISON 2.3%
    USDAW 0.5%

Cripes - under 5%? Even allowing for a low turnout blah blah - no wonder MPs and Party members are bearing a grudge.
    Depends on how many members actually pay the political levy of course.

Totally off topic, just had a very pleasant lunch in the sun at our local vineyard, with one of the better English reds I've drunk.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tykejohnno

'Miliband will want you to think that he’s broken from the unions – and Ken Livingstone to think that he hasn’t'

Pure comedy gold,sit back and enjoy the circus.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Today,anything posted about Shapps, as a diversion, is a total fail
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2013

Plato said:

UNITE 4.5%
    GMB 3.3%
    UNISON 2.3%
    USDAW 0.5%

Depends on how many members actually pay the political levy of course.

Totally off topic, just had a very pleasant lunch in the sun at our local vineyard, with one of the better English reds I've drunk.
    These % for Lab Leader election are the % of those who voted from the ballots issued, not as a % of their members.
  • Options
    So far as Labour is concerned you would need to have a heart of stone not to laugh. And tories are famous for their generosity of spirit.

But if Shapps is going to comment he could at least enter into the spirit of the occasion and try for wit. Maybe he should phone Boris. Or just be quiet. Wit is not an obvious strong point.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Like I said, a total fail..Now how about the call to Brother Ken..Ken who? one may ask.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Today,anything posted about Shapps, as a diversion, is a total fail

Even these Tories can see the amateurish mistake he's making

Stephen Pollard ‏@stephenpollard
    Tories - Shapps - should stop crowing and commenting on every twist in Labour crisis. Much more effective to sit back and watch implosion
    Retweeted by Iain Dale

Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole
    Shapps twisting knife again: "Miliband's response isn't now just weak, it's also two-faced". Probably best to just sit back with a cigar.

Particularly with his history and multiple identities.

Political Scrapbook ‏@PSbook
    NEW --> Tory chairman Grant Shapps 'still under investigation by police' over dodgy company http://read.ps/1aJCFJG
    I said the other day that Shapps is counter-productive. Take the mobile off him and send him out in the sun to play croquet or have a keys-in-the-ashtray afternoon with his fellow prefects. Or whatever else posh kids do when experimenting behind closed-doors.

Incidentally, I actually feel a bit sorry for Ed. He looks a bit isolated. Can you imagine how Labour would've reacted under opposition-era Blair?

Mandelson would've been on the phone threatening journalists with their careers. Alastair Campbell would have dirt on every single union boss. John Reid and Prescott would've been physically threatening to hurt the brothers. Blair would've been on every media outlet calling them dinosaurs and laughing them out of school. And Brown would've been hiding, hoping for the worst. Whilst Ed has got Angela Eagle and Jim Murphy in his corner. I like Murphy, but he isn't exactly Mandelson or Campbell, is he?

Meanwhile, the silence of Ed Balls has haunting parallels.

• Options
    Plato said:

It's too hot down here in Sussex to be outside much - so here's a Mastermind quiz from a decade ago - how will you do?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3046254.stm - I guessed most of them!

Very happy (and surprised) to get 15 from 17 without googling. Back to work.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    tim is right - shapps should just keep quiet, let his enemy struggle and be the story without any sign of competition with political rivals.

Afterall Ed Balls is doing exactly that and he's a master of this sort of stuff!!!
This discussion has been closed.