Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The NHS at 65: What do we really think of it?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Andy_Dutton
    "You want the roof? You couldn't handle the roof!"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Bloody bastard wordpress is being rubbish tonight, so there's not going to be a nighthawks tonight.

Was really proud of it, I had mentioned the following

1) Scotland's Andy Murray is struggling to get past a semi tonight, watch it here live.

2) And a headline story featuring the words pulls out, and siemens.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good evening, everyone.

Not been watching the tennis for the last hour or so. Perplexed by the closed roof.
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    We want a firmly class-based and left-wing general election campaign in 2015. We’ve got to say that Labour is the party of and for workers, not for neo-liberals, bankers, and the free market. That might alienate some people, but that’s tough.

Labour has to be a working-class party — a party for workers, pensioners, unemployed workers, single parents, the whole class.

It has to fight for positive rights for working-class people, and we want trade union activists out on the doorsteps of working-class households as Labour Party candidates making that case.

http://www.workersliberty.org/story/2012/07/11/how-unite-plans-change-labour-party

Bring it on.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Just watching Crime Inc - from Thames TV back in 1984 - its brilliant, I'm glued to it as a history/documentary about the Mafia.

I saw bits of it back then and liked it, but watching it now - it really shows how to make a great long form series about a subject that most Brits wouldn't have much knowledge of bar watching The Godfather.

Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    Andrea has pointed out on UKPR that Nadine Dorries has been re-adopted as Tory candidate for Mid Bedfordshire.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Andy_JS said:

Andrea has pointed out on UKPR that Nadine Dorries has been re-adopted as Tory candidate for Mid Bedfordshire.

Another UNITE influenced selection ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    tim said:

kle4 said:

tim said:

Blimey, one guy is shouting that the pole has broken, another is reinventing the English language and someones "gander is up"

Is that not the expression? *shrugs* I must have been using it wrong for years, or else Murray's pet goose is really pleased at his rallying. And "someone's" gander, please.
    Getting the gander up may be used in on stud farms for geese, if they exist.
    Is that on your CV?
    If it is I'd be tempted to take it off, like those blokes who mop out cubicles in Amsterdam peep shows.
    I'll leave it on just in case I feel like diversifying into a new industry.
  • Options
    What could possibly go wrong...

@GdnPolitics
    Ed Miliband to explore historic break with trade unions http://bit.ly/17SXS0c
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Probably lots of Easternders fans as well waiting to get their fix.
    Andy_JS said:

Murray incensed at the roof being closed at this juncture...

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited July 2013
    I will probably be banned for life for this (although TSE's post suggests it is Nighthawks time and it is certainly past the lagershed).

Here is a video showing how to get your gander up (parental advisory).

[Edited to say - oh bums, I just wanted to post a link, not a bloody picture]
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    Murray breaks Janowicz early in the fourth set!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Scott_P

"one member of the shadow cabinet worked with a trade union leader to try to unseat another frontbencher in a bitter re-selection battle, which has since been resolved"

Who was this? Andrea, can you say?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics

If he can pull it off, remarkable. The Tories would lose their favourite attack, and the union's core radical mouthpieces will always vote Labour anyway, as they hate the Tories too much to risk otherwise.

• Options
    F1: interesting. Hamilton's columns for the BBC F1 site have been good reads, and this one contains some useful info:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23195043

"The punctured tyre had broken quite a crucial part of the floor, where the exhaust blows on it to create downforce. The fact I was able to overtake all those people despite having that damage was a real positive. "

That's superior race pace compared to Alonso despite some damage to the car.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

the union's core radical mouthpieces will always vote Labour anyway, as they hate the Tories too much to risk otherwise.

I think you'll find that's very wrong. The unions created the Labour party, the reasons for having a political voice still exist, if that wasnt the Labour party it would be another seriously well organised and funded party.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Scott_P

"one member of the shadow cabinet worked with a trade union leader to try to unseat another frontbencher in a bitter re-selection battle, which has since been resolved"

Who was this? Andrea, can you say?

Can we engage in rampant speculation until Andrea confirms it.

I think it was Yvette Cooper trying to get Ed Balls unseated.

She knows if she was Shadow Chancellor, Labour would have 20 plus leads in the polls.
  • Options
    Doesn't Labour need funding?

Isn't Unite their biggest donor?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Neil said:

kle4 said:

the union's core radical mouthpieces will always vote Labour anyway, as they hate the Tories too much to risk otherwise.

I think you'll find that's very wrong. The unions created the Labour party, the reasons for having a political voice still exist, if that wasnt the Labour party it would be another seriously well organised and funded party.
    I don't think they have it in them to create a new party if Labour was lost as a direct link, so they wouldn't be as vocally as supportive, or financially, but they won't go anywhere I think. The 21st Century political reality and union reality is not the same as 20th. I don't think Ed M will take it as far as some would like, probably, but even with all their financial support, I think he is able to call their bluff and Labour still thrive.

For one thing, the unions may have created the Labour party, but that doesn't change the fact that the unions, despite Tory claims, run it now, they are just fighting additional marginalization, surely? So even with money they've already accepted it as a party which moved waaaay centre quite some time ago, even aping the Tories on some issues and still do, and they could not do a thing to stop it.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Never mind the tennis,the roses 20/20 match finished tied in front of a full house at headingley,brilliant match.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't think they have it in them to create a new party if Labour was lost as a direct link

I disagree.

But I cant quite believe I'm talking about what would happen if the link was broken. It obviously wont be.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Mohannad Sabry
    SINAI CONFIRMED: full curfew imposed by military in border region, shops closed, roads blocked, anticipated street battles in coming hours.

It looks like full lockdown for Egypt.

Meanwhile a couple of local UKIP wins that were overlooked last night as too small to worry about.
    http://www.ukiptelfordandwrekin.org.uk/two-by-election-wins-for-ukip/
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Neil said:

kle4 said:

I don't think they have it in them to create a new party if Labour was lost as a direct link

I disagree.

But I cant quite believe I'm talking about what would happen if the link was broken. It obviously wont be.
    Indeed. But when it comes to politicians or those seeking to influence politics, my general belief is people's fears of losing out by undermining their own tribe generally outweighs their dislike of the general direction their party might be taking, so they end up having spines like biscuits dunked in tea.

I think growing up in an age of weak unions has made me not regard them(unions) as having that much balls (not Balls).

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    @Neil

I was reflecting exactly on that. What's the timeline? Should we look to frontbenchers having seats next to each other going ahead to ahead for the redrawn seat? I guess we can rule out being something regarding 1997 boundary changes.....we have 2005 Scottish boundary changes, 2010 England and Wales boundary changes and the aborted 2012 changes...
    I suppose the 2 frontbenchers are current frontbenchers and not some from the past (John Reid/Helen Liddell's seats being merged together in 2005).

Khan/Chuka/Tessa after the aborted boundary recommendations?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Murray takes the roof off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

F1: interesting. Hamilton's columns for the BBC F1 site have been good reads, and this one contains some useful info:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23195043

"The punctured tyre had broken quite a crucial part of the floor, where the exhaust blows on it to create downforce. The fact I was able to overtake all those people despite having that damage was a real positive. "

That's superior race pace compared to Alonso despite some damage to the car.

It was an impressive drive. Like any of the top drivers (e.g. Alonso, Schumacher, Vettel), you may not like him, but you have to admit he's a blooming good driver.

With my speculation hat on, I wonder how difficult that would have made the car to drive? As the damage was on one side, did that mean the intact (right-hand?) side had more downforce than the damaged side? Or I wonder if altering the front-rear balance would have changed that much?

I need to talk to a friendly aerodynamicist ...
  • Options
    They used to do quite well funding wise with property developers, David Abrahams being a good example.

Doesn't Labour need funding?

Isn't Unite their biggest donor?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    If the surgeon said that they are likely to be in trouble. It is a very intemperate thing to say about a member of the team. If false it is potentially a disciplinary matter, if true then such a statement is no way to raise concerns about the competence of staff.

NHS nurses..my daughter who is a staunch labourite is taking legal action against the nurses at her local hospital for the dangerous and callous treatment she received last week after surgery..on the advice of the surgeon who did the op.. Merciful angels they were most definitely not..in her words.."Lazy and callous"

In the surgeons words "Incompetent and dangerous idiots"

• Options
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

"Andy, you're in the final. But admit it to the BBC, you're still crap really aren't you"...

So says the man who thought David Miliband was a shoo in to be leader of the Labour Party.
  • Options

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

"Andy, you're in the final. But admit it to the BBC, you're still crap really aren't you"...

So says the man who thought David Miliband was a shoo in to be leader of the Labour Party.

OGH told me to back Murray winning Wimbledon when Dan said Andy won't win Wimbledon

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Well that's our relationship with Iran getting worse, but I'm sure Andrew Mitchell would sympathise, from the Paywall

The newly elected Iranian President has called British police “rude, rough and heartless” after revealing that he was arrested by them when on the run from the Shah of Iran.

Hassan Rowhani was left banging with his fists on a cell door when he was wrongly seized by Scotland Yard while staying at a house full of militants. Although he was not charged with an offence, his fingerprints were taken.
  • Options
    @jcorrigangolf
    So Scotland will win Wimbledon, Wales will win the lions tour, any chance England, all 50m of them, can contribute to this glorious July?

Not expecting an ashes win, then.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jcorrigangolf
    So Scotland will win Wimbledon, Wales will win the lions tour, any chance England, all 50m of them, can contribute to this glorious July?

Not expecting an ashes win, then.

Technically that would be an England & Wales Ashes victory
  • Options
    Now that Ed has raised the prospect of breaking the union link, if he doesn't do it, some people are going to call him weak, and dithering...

The CiFers are NOT happy...
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    It said on Sky that Murray has won 7 out of 18 matches against Djokovic.

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

OGH told me to back Murray winning Wimbledon when Dan said Andy won't win Wimbledon

• Options
    Swift, decisive, 3 months late...

@michaelsavage
    Labour HQ raised concerns about a Data Protection breach linked to Unite in another constituency in April. See tomorrow's Times.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I couldn't post to PB via the politicalbetting.com domain earlier, accessing this thread via politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com

Anyway, a bit late, but congrats to our BRITISH tennis ace Andy Murray for getting to a second successive Wimbledon final! Hopefully this will be his year!
  • Options
    Paywall
    Labour officials feared Unite had been illegally given restricted information about party members in another constituency.

According to documents seen by The Times, Labour’s compliance unit sounded the alarm after party members in Chester complained that they had received an unsolicited e-mail about a Unite Facebook site.

Labour officials feared that their information had been passed to Unite by a candidate hoping to contest the Chester seat at the election. The selection was eventually secured last month by Chris Matheson, a Unite official.

In a note circulated to everyone contesting the selection on April 5, Labour officials revealed that they feared the law may have been broken.
  • Options
    Oh dear, Chuka on Newsnight has just disavowed Ed's latest wheeze
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    UKIP score is an outlier. I called it when it was low, I'm calling it when its high. I still think their actual support is around 14%.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

Scott_P said:

Ed Miliband, swiftly and decisively, looking weak, weak, weak...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxPknjQnCg&feature=youtu.be&a

Unite's Liverpudlian leader , Len McCluskey ,accuses Labour and Ed M of being amateur.

Amateur , weak , and crap. That's EdM.
    So ungrateful - biting the hand that feeds !
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2013
    Oh, we're back then?

Off-topic: Thanks for all the advice about the piano...

I went with the Casio in the end, and so far I'm very happy.

Now here's a beautiful old song to take you into the wee small hours....(dunno about the player. I think he needs more practice!)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13331381/Nancy.WAV

Does it sound like a piano? I think so, especially when played through a separate speaker system....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,879
    Website was down so long I thought Tim had finally gotten OGH shut down and carted off to the Clink. :^O
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics

blimey
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    I'm glad it was not just my computer that was having problems.

I really can't think what Ed thinks he is doing here. A head on clash with the leader of the largest donor was risky enough but to take on all the unions? At once? He is over reaching himself.

I would be seriously surprised if Labour could hang together in such a scenario. I wonder what Ed Balls thinks about all this. He used to be close to some of those involved.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Late 80s classic (which I just heard for the first time a few minutes ago on the Absolute 80s radio station) - Jane Wiedlin with Rush Hour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxScPP7CUk&amp
  • Options
    @Andy_JS

This was number 1 exactly 30 years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncWYydlK-LA

• Options
    The thread was accessible during the so-called "downtime" via politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com
  • Options
    Jane Wiedlin looks like a teenager in that performance but in fact she was 30 at the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Wiedlin

She was a member of The Go Gos, the girl band of which Belinda Carlisle was the lead singer.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2013
    FPT. Just caught up with the threads today, totally amazed that this little gem tucked away in the Henry G Manson's article got absolutely no attention in the last thread. Especially in light of the current scandal engulfing the Labour party and their biggest Union donor UNITE.

"One area that is less well known relates to the proposed boundary changes that have since been dropped. This would have involved a good number of Labour MPs facing a neighbouring Labour MP in an internal section vote across the new constituency boundaries. A good number of panicky MPs took part in their own large scale recruitment drives with all manner of favours offered on occasion to help save their skin. This is one reason why there was such a boost in Labour membership in late 2010 and 2011 – it was as much down to the survival instincts of these MPs as it was the enthusiasm of a new Labour leader."
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    edited July 2013
    Today has lots of anniversaries.
    30 years ago today, it rained. To be precise, it rained about 3 inches in about 40 minutes.
    80 years ago, the then-not-yet-but-eventually headmaster of my secondary school was born.
    20 years ago, the Daily Telegraph listed the abovementioned in its daily list of birthdays, because he was then the chairman of the Headmasters' Conference.
    9 years ago today, I shook hands with this person:
    http://oi42.tinypic.com/2a6vwy1.jpg
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

@Andy_JS

This was number 1 exactly 30 years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncWYydlK-LA

I don't remember that being number 1 when I was walking home from school getting soaked to the skin in the torrential downpour which coincided with going-home time. At the time, I was also unaware of the fact that it was the headmaster's 50th birthday.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

The thread was accessible during the so-called "downtime" via politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com

This is a useful trick for accessing PB during high traffic events.
This discussion has been closed.