Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time to put UK primaries to bed

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time to put UK primaries to bed

A colleague told me this week that she felt let down that she couldn’t vote in the Conservative leadership contest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Who said bed ? .... :smile:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    JackW said:

Who said bed ? .... :smile:

Damn you! :D

If elitism has it's place, how about we bring back the hereditaries? :D
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    edited July 2016
    Lol. The post is really a dip into the wider question of democracy, its benefits and pitfalls.

A bit difficult to maintain people won't join political parties after Labour's experience. Over 100k people joining a party in just a couple of days would have been considered impossible heretofore?
  • Options
    RobD said:

As a man once said .... "They haven't gone away you know" .. :smiley:

• Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

Waiting in the wings....
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited July 2016
    On the other hand, if you're an MP in one of the 400 or so safe seats, you'll probably never have to fight a competitive campaign again. And unless you've run for local office, or have had to fight off deselection, you have no experience of it. I think this lack somehow translates into an intangible loss for your party as a whole when it comes to general elections.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Very interesting David, thank you. On the point about MPs not covering the whole country, I wonder if there is a case for the party having a nominal member for a seat it doesn't hold for the purpose of leadership decisions?

I think the problem with the wider argument is the elites had control of who could enter the Labour Leadership contest. Furthermore, I also think the Democrats made a mistake in trying to help Hillary win the nomination. It has made her look weak and incapable of securing the nomination on her own merits. If I was a Democrat I'd want the nominee to come through a genuinely competitive process.

I appreciate that sometimes the nominee is obvious - and the Tories are probably happy with May as PM because it was a sensible decision - but in Bernie Sanders the Democrats did have a viable alternative who was clearly connecting with people. I don't follow it closely, but I don't think Sanders is comparable to Jeremy Corbyn. Right now I'm thinking that Sanders would have been a tougher opponent for Trump.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Is it cynical to suspect that Leadsom was promised Environment before dropping out of the leadership race?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/andrea-leadsom-who-is-defra-secretary-theresa-may-cabinet-prime-minister-climate-change-a7137101.html
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited July 2016
    Latest Yougov Scotland tables:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ihg707zgux/ScottishTrackers_25-Jul-2016_Indy_W.pdf

There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for:

a) An imminent referendum;
    b) Leaving the UK to be subsumed by the EU;
    c) Being part of the EU single market ahead of being in the UK.

The SNP vote is far from unified.

On voters' priorities:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/lbzcm2uume/ScotlandintheUnionResults_160725_ScottishIndependence_W.pdf

Separate deal for Scotland - ranked 6th;
    Second referendum - ranked 9th;
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    JackW said:

RobD said:

Indeed. They make up one-eighth of the upper house, a number not to be sniffed at.

I'm happy to keep them there though, until wholesale reform of the upper house finally occurs (which it will one day).
  • Options

Is it cynical to suspect that Leadsom was promised Environment before dropping out of the leadership race?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/andrea-leadsom-who-is-defra-secretary-theresa-may-cabinet-prime-minister-climate-change-a7137101.html

It really doesn't seem that great of a prize...
  • Options

Except that it was reported she wanted one of the top jobs with Boris, and only walked out to stand herself when he failed to come good on his previous promise to confirm the offer. Leadsom's star was rising thereafter, at least until she started to run into trouble, so it would imply some surprising self-awareness to settle for environment?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    IanB2 said:

Lol. The post is really a dip into the wider question of democracy, its benefits and pitfalls.

A bit difficult to maintain people won't join political parties after Labour's experience. Over 100k people joining a party in just a couple of days would have been considered impossible heretofore?

The LDs have gained 66000 since the Brexit vote too, without even the prospect of a say in the leadership, simply wanting to support the cause. I recall that the Greens gained loads last year too, and the SNP and Labour are well documented. We do seem to be having an explosion of party memberships of opposition parties, though how many convert to pavement pounding activists is unknown.

I haven't heard news of the same in the Cons. Has there been a surge? Or has the long term decline in membership continued?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Inevitably I guess that to join a political party in itself makes one distinctly different from your average Josephine and it is more important for a representative democracy to reflect voters rather than members. I think the Tory party power transition has been an exemplar in how to do this properly - in an earlier period they left it to members and we got IDS. Nuff said.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    chestnut said:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ihg707zgux/ScottishTrackers_25-Jul-2016_Indy_W.pdf

On voters' priorities:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/lbzcm2uume/ScotlandintheUnionResults_160725_ScottishIndependence_W.pdf

Well that's the SNP's 'Summer of Independence' off to a roaring start.

Interestingly the answer to 'UK vs EU' or UK vs Single Market is (virtually) identical - 55 for UK....
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    That's a very interesting, thought-provoking article, David, thank you.

I'm not a Conservative supporter and was perfectly satisfied with the way the new PM was decided. Even though members may have felt annoyed at not getting the final choice, it was timely at a moment of great uncertainty for the country.

What has happened with Labour is instructive, the whole mess having been initiated by that particular elite, the PLP, misunderstanding their proper role in the nomination process.

And good morning, everyone.

• Options

IanB2 said:

The LDs have gained 66000 since the Brexit vote too, without even the prospect of a say in the leadership, simply wanting to support the cause. I recall that the Greens gained loads last year too, and the SNP and Labour are well documented. We do seem to be having an explosion of party memberships of opposition parties, though how many convert to pavement pounding activists is unknown.

I haven't heard news of the same in the Cons. Has there been a surge? Or has the long term decline in membership continued?
    I think the LibDem figure is 16000?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I seem to recall an article saying there had been a modest uptick since the referendum, probably hoping for a vote at the election that never happened, but only on the order of thousands. Can't for the life of me find the link, so perhaps I am imagining it.
  • Options
    Politics was so dull yesterday. Next to nothing happened.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, just checked. 16000 increase to a total of 76000. My excuse is that my cat has not let me out of bed yet, so no coffee!
  • Options
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 75
    Gordon Brown decided on by political elite - enough said.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Looks better on this Bar Chart that I happen to have handy........
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

As I recall, HRC was nominated as the first female presidential candidate by a major party in US history. In other summers that would be news!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting article, Mr. Herdson. I'd slightly rephrase it, though. The problem isn't the width of the electorate for Labour's leadership, it's that it's too narrow for the electorate and too wide for the PLP. It's the antithesis of the Goldilocks Zone.

F1: there may be no pre-qualifying piece today. I'm unsure, but thought a heads up would prove useful in case there isn't one and people are confused and frightened. I wouldn't want wailing and gnashing of teeth on my account [it's nothing serious, just that I might have to be out for a couple of hours when I'd normally pay attention to P3 then making a guess, or not].
  • Options

IanB2 said:

As I recall, HRC was nominated as the first female presidential candidate by a major party in US history. In other summers that would be news!
    That was on Tuesday!
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Good article David, thank you.

As a member of the Party I was quite happy with the process and the result. Whilst I would quite have liked to cast my vote for May as PM the process was fine.

Most of the voices I heard complaining about the lack of vote were from non party supporters anyway.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    IanB2 said:

After all the excitement of the last few weeks, it does seem very tepid now. I flicked on the news twice all day.

Today the story leading on Sky is blinking plastic bags...
  • Options
    One thing that I do find odd about the Labour leadership election process is that the NEC apparently decides the rules after an election becomes necessary. Changing the rules is one thing, but to do it whilst an actual election is in view seems wrong.

And how could they have agreed that full members of some months standing (before ever the election cropped up) should not be allowed to vote, but any Tom, Dick & Harriet who likes to cough up money within a brief window once the election is announced should be able to do so? That is outrageous, to my mind.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

That was on Tuesday!
    She formally accepted yesterday, and gave her keynote speech.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

After all the excitement of the last few weeks, it does seem very tepid now. I flicked on the news twice all day.

Yesterday was the quietest day on PB since Easter. Let's have a nice low key. August before LAB splits in half
  • Options

My excuse is that my cat has not let me out of bed yet, so no coffee!

Dr Fox has pussy in bed ....

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

One thing that I do find odd about the Labour leadership election process is that the NEC apparently decides the rules after an election becomes necessary. Changing the rules is one thing, but to do it whilst an actual election is in view seems wrong.

And how could they have agreed that full members of some months standing (before ever the election cropped up) should not be allowed to vote, but any Tom, Dick & Harriet who likes to cough up money within a brief window once the election is announced should be able to do so? That is outrageous, to my mind.

Couldn't agree more. I hope the disenfranchised members get a vote - and their £25 back if they've double paid.
  • Options
    On primaries, ISTR it was generally agreed at the time that the primary which selected Dr Sarah Wollaston was a useful & valuable one. As far as I know, Dr Wollaston turned out to be a good choice.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Democracy...This has been done before, I cannot find Professor Marriot explaining it to Jim Hacker but his spad does here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6b2OT3C9KY
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sky News is almost "Hello!"" lite these days .... always some old bag as the main news ....
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

Which is a great news story. Plastic bags are an evironmental disaster. My own habits have changed, with a shopping bag always in my pocket. The key is to put it back there when unpacking.

I hope Hugh F-W has success with coffee cups next #wastenot

https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/758978306112794624
  • Options

Yesterday was the quietest day on PB since Easter. Let's have a nice low key. August before LAB splits in half

Phew .... time for you to let your hair down Mike ....

• Options
    JackW said:

My excuse is that my cat has not let me out of bed yet, so no coffee!

Dr Fox has pussy in bed ....

A delightful youngster curled up between my legs!
  • Options
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

I'm going in to have a joint fused in my ankle early September and will be laid up pretty much until Christmas. Have already ordered industrial quantities of popcorn for the fun and games from late September onwards.

I'll be an almost permanent guest on PB during the entertainment :grin:
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    AnneJGP said:

On primaries, ISTR it was generally agreed at the time that the primary which selected Dr Sarah Wollaston was a useful & valuable one. As far as I know, Dr Wollaston turned out to be a good choice.

Because she was a Dr?
  • Options
    From Ashcroft latest focus groups

"As for the Labour Party, “where do you start? I’ve never seen a party like it. It’s a farce.” Jeremy Corbyn “is the greatest thing for the Tory party that ever happened. He’s the gift that keeps on giving. Totally unelectable”. Labour voters thought him “unprofessional” and “too far to the left”, and the party “a right mess”, “a catastrophe”, and “a basket case”. The party was no longer representing its voters: “The membership is students, extremists, socialists, the far left;” “I hope May doesn’t call an election. We would be entirely wiped out.” Labour’s disintegration had left “a massive chasm at the centre of politics. If there was a new party, I’d give them a go.” Even Tories were worried: “It’s not good news that the party is so weak. I voted Conservative, but it means there is no debate about their plans.”

Nobody had an opinion about Corbyn’s leadership challenger (“Oliver something?”), though one said they had seen him on Newsnight: “He was good, but any of us would look good on Newsnight now that Paxman’s gone.” Even if he won and turned out to be competent, the party was such a mess that “it will take him some time to get it right.”

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/07/lord-ashcroft-my-latest-focus-groups-discuss-brexit-corbyn-cameron-and-may-the-new-iron-maiden.html
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    AnneJGP said:

Yes, they're a good idea in theory and can work in practice but I think that recent events have shown the risks run in opening the process to the general public.
  • Options

A delightful youngster curled up between my legs!

You and SeanT have much in common .... :smile:
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited July 2016

chestnut said:

On voters' priorities:

Interestingly the answer to 'UK vs EU' or UK vs Single Market is (virtually) identical - 55 for UK....
    It seems to have become accepted wisdom and conventional media narrative that the SNP vote both is pro-EU, pro-Independence, yet the poll yields;

2015 SNP Vote for SIndy: 65% (35% against or undecided)
    2015 SNP Vote for EU not UK: 61% (39% against or undecided)

They do look very much like English Labour numbers with a very sizeable minority that do not fit the pro-Indy, pro-EU narrative.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Democracy...This has been done before, I cannot find Professor Marriot explaining it to Jim Hacker but his spad does here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6b2OT3C9KY

Sounds a lot like the French system of local government, which has 36,000 communes (compared to our 7700 wards), each with their own Mayor and Council (we'd have a mega thread of by-elections each Thursday!)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

A good thread header would be a graph showing PB visits per day over the last couple of months!
  • Options

As a member of the Party I was quite happy with the process and the result. Whilst I would quite have liked to cast my vote for May as PM the process was fine.

Most of the voices I heard complaining about the lack of vote were from non party supporters anyway.

That was my experience too. But it is interesting that some people think they should have a right to vote in the internal elections of organisations they're not part of.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932
    I'd disagree that Trump's selection shows that primaries are a bad idea. Trump was plainly a far better campaigner than the other Republican candidates, and he might well win.

O/T I'm currently in County Antrim, which is stunningly beautiful, especially the Coast.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    This bit I thought was quite telling:

Despite the mid-term change at the top, there was very little appetite in any of our groups for an early general election. [...] And apart from anything else, it would hardly be sporting: “The Labour Party don’t know what they’re doing. It would be unfair to do one until they’ve sorted themselves out.”
  • Options
    F1: only the BBC gossip column (proper links, mind) but interesting Paddy Lowe (one of the two Mercedes' chiefs) appears to have criticised Hamilton for going directly to Charlie Whiting [race director] over Rosberg's yellow flags pole lap:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36887148

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Herdson,

An interesting thread header, but the status quo is fine.

If a party of loons want to vote in a loon as leader, then on their own heads be it. It shows they are unelectable.

Why should the Greens elect a sensible person as leader? It's an intrusion into their self-declared obsessions. Why should the SWP not elect the Labour leader if that's what the new ones want?

Gods in his heaven and all's right with the world.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Interesting article, Mr. Herdson. I'd slightly rephrase it, though. The problem isn't the width of the electorate for Labour's leadership, it's that it's too narrow for the electorate and too wide for the PLP. It's the antithesis of the Goldilocks Zone.

[snip to remove extraneous F1 stuff].

The two go hand in hand, though an even bigger problem Labour currently has is the unwillingness to compromise within its factions.

But Labour's selectorate has been skewed by allowing a highly motivated but unrepresentative section of their vote (and at times, not even of their vote) to play a disproportionate role because the theoretical voting base is now far wider than the actual one.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    AnneJGP said:

Morning all.

Indeed Ms JGP, the whole leadership situation is quite mind boggling, what amounts to selling votes, which is bad enough, but changing the rules once the match has started goes against every principle of fair play in my eyes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    Icarus said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Looks better on this Bar Chart that I happen to have handy........
    Twas ever thus.
  • Options

On the other hand, if you're an MP in one of the 400 or so safe seats, you'll probably never have to fight a competitive campaign again. And unless you've run for local office, or have had to fight off deselection, you have no experience of it. I think this lack somehow translates into an intangible loss for your party as a whole when it comes to general elections.

Boundary reviews every parliament will make a difference there, with the prospect of a great many more contested elections.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Very confused and confusing article David.

How can an elite be 'representative'? It's a nonsense.

And what does 'where the whole electorate cannot be engaged...' mean?
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

That was my experience too. But it is interesting that some people think they should have a right to vote in the internal elections of organisations they're not part of.
    It's part of a more general phenomenon:- people deriving self-respect by getting something for nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    A thoughtful piece, and I confess I'm not certain of my own thoughts in the matter. The American primaries were off putting, not so much for whom They have chosen, but for the presentation of full democratic engagement when In fact the state's all had their own bizarre ways of selecting delegates, which technically could be one unbound and so on. As David says though an expectation seems to have built up about democracy even in things which typically were more restrictive for a reason.

I
    The weird thing is I like the idea of open primaries, except if it was common, if that makes sense.again, America shows the dangers there - the impression is they sound their time either constantly fundraising, though I guess tears due to to ad costs needing to be raised, or constantly afraid of bring challenged on their left or right, rather than knowing they can act mostly as they think best, and while they may be challenged in such a fashion, they don't gave to worry about the public or wider party getting swept up In it when they may not have any inclination to consider the nuance if the issue in question.

And yet we argue the people's choice is always right, so why not involve them? But on the hand it's about the choice to put yo the people later, why would you do that before you're ready with the final choice if there is no guaranteed benefit. But in most places a very very small group names the selection and they might need the check of the public to not pick a fool, as doing so I a safe seat might, if bad enough, make it not safe.

I don't know. Maybe it's one of those things that is only a good idea in theory.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    runnymede said:

Of course elites can be representative. In thought. The current leaderships of both main parties are, as the ones who might or are running this country, clearly part of the elite. Not the aristocratic elite or the .1%, at least not all of them, but definitely the elite as they Hold power or potential power over us.

But they could still reflect the views and concerns of their members, or the wider elector ate despite that elite status..

To paraphrase a wise man, you don't have to be a man of the people to be a man for the people.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited July 2016

F1: only the BBC gossip column (proper links, mind) but interesting Paddy Lowe (one of the two Mercedes' chiefs) appears to have criticised Hamilton for going directly to Charlie Whiting [race director] over Rosberg's yellow flags pole lap:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36887148

Well Mr Morris with a lap time like that he must have lifted for about 0.1 microsecond.

At least though he wasn't running drivers off the track this time. I noted with interest the start of the Hungarian was very very much the same as the Hamilton overtake on Rosberg when Rosberg drove Hamilton off the track by not turning in. However even with a car on the inside Rosberg turned in and allowed ( Verstappen??) to come easily around the outside just like Hamilton should have expected.

Rosberg intentionally ran Hamilton off and it's not the first time this season as the last time Hamilton ended up on the grass and both cars went out. just like he didn't lift last week and took pole.

Rosberg had lots of form in bad racing manners. He also throws hats at his opponents.
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, disagree. Drying track = massive time fluctuations.

Over the course of one lap in Q2, Raikkonen went from fastest to 14th.

The Spanish collision was a racing incident. The car ahead on track has right of way. Hamilton repeatedly ran Rosberg wide in Bahrain 2014 (and at other times, though I forget the precise races).

The incident where Rosberg failed to turn and there was a collision (I forget where but it was quite recent) was 100% Rosberg's fault.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    kle4 said:

A thoughtful piece, and I confess I'm not certain of my own thoughts in the matter. The American primaries were off putting, not so much for whom They have chosen, but for the presentation of full democratic engagement when In fact the state's all had their own bizarre ways of selecting delegates, which technically could be one unbound and so on. As David says though an expectation seems to have built up about democracy even in things which typically were more restrictive for a reason.

I
    The weird thing is I like the idea of open primaries, except if it was common, if that makes sense.again, America shows the dangers there - the impression is they sound their time either constantly fundraising, though I guess tears due to to ad costs needing to be raised, or constantly afraid of bring challenged on their left or right, rather than knowing they can act mostly as they think best, and while they may be challenged in such a fashion, they don't gave to worry about the public or wider party getting swept up In it when they may not have any inclination to consider the nuance if the issue in question.

And yet we argue the people's choice is always right, so why not involve them? But on the hand it's about the choice to put yo the people later, why would you do that before you're ready with the final choice if there is no guaranteed benefit. But in most places a very very small group names the selection and they might need the check of the public to not pick a fool, as doing so I a safe seat might, if bad enough, make it not safe.

I don't know. Maybe it's one of those things that is only a good idea in theory.

When I first read DH's piece, I had similar thoughts to Runnymede (8.59am). Then I remembered why I'm opposed to the notion of charging a Poll Tax refundable with a chit showing you've voted. The problem is the paradox: a proper democracy must allow individuals the right to have no interest in politics, but that if sufficient people exercise that right, democracy itself collapses.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Boundary reviews every parliament will make a difference there, with the prospect of a great many more contested elections.
    I don't see why different boundaries should mean fewer safe seats? If anything the trend over the years has been towards a decline in the number of marginals. In part this is probably because of the effort both parties put into using and abusing the boundary review process to argue for boundaries that are safer, rather than more marginal.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Only those not part of the PB elite are "confused" .... :smile:
  • Options

Mr. Moses, disagree. Drying track = massive time fluctuations.

Over the course of one lap in Q2, Raikkonen went from fastest to 14th.

The Spanish collision was a racing incident. The car ahead on track has right of way. Hamilton repeatedly ran Rosberg wide in Bahrain 2014 (and at other times, though I forget the precise races).

The incident where Rosberg failed to turn and there was a collision (I forget where but it was quite recent) was 100% Rosberg's fault.

Maybes..... He did throw his hat at Hamilton though :wink:

Either way I still think Rosberg is an "Indifferential front end tit"
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, after Hamilton tossed him the second place cap after a very close race. Forgivable, if temperamental. Hamilton's underrated when it comes to psychological warfare. He's skilled at winding Rosberg up. Or Rosberg's feeble at dealing with it, as you like.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

She is independently minded, though, which from the public point of view is a great thing. Interesting to speculate to what extent the public sensed this and picked her for it, as against the fact that she might feel able to be and act more independently now because she has her own 'mandate' and wasn't selected by an internal party committee? Whatever, I sense that the Tory Party won't rushing out to do a lot more primary selections!
  • Options

kle4 said:

I

When I first read DH's piece, I had similar thoughts to Runnymede (8.59am). Then I remembered why I'm opposed to the notion of charging a Poll Tax refundable with a chit showing you've voted. The problem is the paradox: a proper democracy must allow individuals the right to have no interest in politics, but that if sufficient people exercise that right, democracy itself collapses.

There was a piece in the Guardian (I think) last week arguing that general public disinterest in politics should be seen as 'normal' and a good thing, as it means normal life goes on and when it comes down to it people don't have reason to be particularly bothered about it all. Whereas it is when lots of people start showing a lot of interest in politics that we should all start to worry. I thought it was a good point, within bounds - widespread apathy and distaste for politics surely isn't great, either?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    An interesting read regarding the world view of Trump supporters

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/backing-donald-trump/493619/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I don't see why different boundaries should mean fewer safe seats? If anything the trend over the years has been towards a decline in the number of marginals. In part this is probably because of the effort both parties put into using and abusing the boundary review process to argue for boundaries that are safer, rather than more marginal.
    At the least, there is likely to be an increase in contested nominations as MPs cannot simply be reselected if their seat changes enough, but the changes in boundaries will also affect which seats are marginals and so the dynamic of continually concentrating on a few which are both winnable and at risk will be broken.
  • Options
    eek said:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/backing-donald-trump/493619/

Yes, thanks for the share. Bloody Brexit revisited.

I thought this was telling: "We went to Iraq because you said it was better to fight them over there than fight them over here. Then you invited them over here anyway! Then you said that we had to keep inviting them over here if we wanted to win over there. And we figured out: You care a lot more about the “inviting" part than the “winning" part. So no more"
  • Options
    Corbyn Says it as it is:

This BBC News misrepresenation of Scientific fact on Climate and weather events is hyperbolic poppycock - as disgraceful as their misrepresentation of my brother Jeremy Corbyn and their extreme pro EU 'Remain-sulk' bias. Their talk of temperatures of 38C in Cardiff and 41C in London by 2050 is barmy and not founded on any scientific evidence-based argument

http://www.weatheraction.com/

Meanwhile over at Derry St, Oborne is looking forward to a Corbyn landslide victory:

it looks as if he will entrench his position as Labour leader and score an even more decisive victory in the forthcoming leadership election than he did last year when he won by a landslide with 59 per cent of the votes.....

For his part, I believe Corbyn should rise to the challenge by being more radical and incisive in his attacks on the Tory government.

I mentioned this to him when I met him this week — urging him to be more clinical in his critique of its foreign policies.

He agreed that the dismissal of Hilary Benn as shadow foreign secretary (who embarrassingly opposed him over intervention in the Syrian civil war) would allow him more freedom to speak up for Palestinian rights.

Corbyn told me that he plans to ask searching questions about the Government’s relations with Saudi Arabia.
    He will also support families of British military victims of the Iraq war if they mount a private prosecution against Tony Blair and others.

This is a refreshing approach, because for far too long there has been an unspoken consensus over foreign policy between the two main parties (i.e. pro-EU, pro-meddling in the Middle East), which, I believe, has been profoundly damaging to Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3715544/PETER-OBORNE-Lefties-loathe-truth-man-changed-history.html
  • Options
    Corbyn and Labour likened to the Spanish Armada and Smith a sailors life jacket.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/29/like-the-spanish-armada-labour-must-realise-it-too-has-been-defe/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

runnymede said:

Of course elites can be representative. In thought. The current leaderships of both main parties are, as the ones who might or are running this country, clearly part of the elite. Not the aristocratic elite or the .1%, at least not all of them, but definitely the elite as they Hold power or potential power over us.

But they could still reflect the views and concerns of their members, or the wider elector ate despite that elite status..

To paraphrase a wise man, you don't have to be a man of the people to be a man for the people.
    Sure, if you define 'representative' in a sufficiently diffuse way then anyone can qualify. But then, the point is devoid of meaning. As is the term 'elite'.

More generally I can't help feeling that lurking behind this article is the same distasteful attitude towards the ordinary voter/pleb that we saw throughout the EU referendum campaign - and which continues from Remain supporters now.

An elite has indeed got used to running a system they piously call 'democracy,' in their own interests, for several decades. But when the voters don't play their game, democracy is suddenly a problem for them and needs to be tempered/adjusted/ignored.

The possibility that the elite itself might be the problem, rather than the voters, never crosses their minds - beyond the usual platitudes about 'listening'.
  • Options
    Sky
    Update - Police in #Belgium have arrested two brothers suspected of planning a terrorist attack following house searches in #Mons and #Liège
  • Options

IanB2 said:

At the least, there is likely to be an increase in contested nominations as MPs cannot simply be reselected if their seat changes enough, but the changes in boundaries will also affect which seats are marginals and so the dynamic of continually concentrating on a few which are both winnable and at risk will be broken.
    I sense that there is a lot of wishful thinking in that!

The powerful well connected MPs with the safe seats won't (apart from Labour's little difficulty) have much problem getting chosen for the plumb seats again, wherever they are. And in much of the country it won't make much difference where the lines are anyway - carve up Surrey and Hampshire - or Liverpool and Manchester - however you like, Tory and Labour won't mind too much. And any new boundaries won't be good news for the LibDems.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

You need to think of it in terms of outcome.

Take the old Co-Op, for example. In theory, this was a wonderfully democratic organisation where all members could be involved right up to board level through internal elections. In practice, it was more an excellent vehicle for those with the time and inclination to foist private hobby-horses on a retail conglomerate because the majority who might otherwise have stopped them simply weren't interested in that degree of engagemet. The new, professional structure is far less 'democratic' but delivers much more for members in term of what they're interested in: value and quality.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Herdson,

An interesting thread header, but the status quo is fine.

If a party of loons want to vote in a loon as leader, then on their own heads be it. It shows they are unelectable.

Why should the Greens elect a sensible person as leader? It's an intrusion into their self-declared obsessions. Why should the SWP not elect the Labour leader if that's what the new ones want?

Gods in his heaven and all's right with the world.

What if all the parties go nuts simultaneously? Which is quite possible if you go round spraying power without responsibility and inviting those who have an interest in disrupting their opponents to do so.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    runnymede said:

kle4 said:

runnymede said:

Sure, if you define 'representative' in a sufficiently diffuse way then anyone can qualify. But then, the point is devoid of meaning. As is the term 'elite'.

More generally I can't help feeling that lurking behind this article is the same distasteful attitude towards the ordinary voter/pleb that we saw throughout the EU referendum campaign - and which continues from Remain supporters now.

An elite has indeed got used to running a system they piously call 'democracy,' in their own interests, for several decades. But when the voters don't play their game, democracy is suddenly a problem for them and needs to be tempered/adjusted/ignored.

The possibility that the elite itself might be the problem, rather than the voters, never crosses their minds - beyond the usual platitudes about 'listening'.
    You're not the least bit paranoid - it's obvious that the likes of David Herdson ARE out to get you. :)
  • Options

runnymede said:

Take the old Co-Op, for example. In theory, this was a wonderfully democratic organisation where all members could be involved right up to board level through internal elections. In practice, it was more an excellent vehicle for those with the time and inclination to foist private hobby-horses on a retail conglomerate because the majority who might otherwise have stopped them simply weren't interested in that degree of engagemet. The new, professional structure is far less 'democratic' but delivers much more for members in term of what they're interested in: value and quality.
    So I'm right then - you want to replace democracy with some kind of 'technocratic' government. At least we are getting to the nub of things now.

And who will choose this enlightened and disinterested group to lord it over the rest of us? 40 shilling freeholders perhaps, or their modern-day equivalent?

Or is even that too risky - perhaps the group should, to ensure a safe and 'professional' outcome, choose itself?

• Options
    runnymede said:

kle4 said:

runnymede said:

Of course elites can be representative. In thought. The current leaderships of both main parties are, as the ones who might or are running this country, clearly part of the elite. Not the aristocratic elite

How can we not define elite in such a diffuse way? Lacking an aristocratic class running us anyone can rise to the top. It's easier if you're rich and white, but still possible for all, so we cannot have such a rigid definition of elite even if you find my use of it too broad. Where's the middle ground?

And while I think you are right about an undercurrent of disdain for voters, this is a piece about democratic involvement in the affairs of what are in essence private clubs. They've never had an obligation to make their own processes democratic, and if they didn't involve their own members or the voters it wouldn't actually harm our democratic society, since we the people woukd get our chance to express ourselves later, and other parties can put up their candidates chosen with their own methods. So with no harm, the question is is there a benefit to the parties and us for them to make their choice who to present to us more democratic? I'm uncertain, but feel you may have conflated vague upset at our elites and the electorate, with the elites and how they run their own groups.

Additionally, and to be fair, disdain for voters is probably in part line teachers moaning about students and parents and doctors moaning about patients - we all Mosn about those whom we work for and with. There are more serious parts to it admittedly.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    edited July 2016
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

On voters' priorities:

It seems to have become accepted wisdom and conventional media narrative that the SNP vote both is pro-EU, pro-Independence, yet the poll yields;

They do look very much like English Labour numbers with a very sizeable minority that do not fit the pro-Indy, pro-EU narrative.
    Utter bollox
    PS: the poll I mean not your goodself.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

So I'm right then - you want to replace democracy with some kind of 'technocratic' government. At least we are getting to the nub of things now.

And who will choose this enlightened and disinterested group to lord it over the rest of us? 40 shilling freeholders perhaps, or their modern-day equivalent?

Or is even that too risky - perhaps the group should, to ensure a safe and 'professional' outcome, choose itself?

You seem to be very concerned the parties not being democratic in how they present their choice to us will mean the end of democracy itself. The parties could all be dictatorships, but we the people would still get to choose which candidate of theirs we wanted, and if we didn't like their choices we could stand ourselves or form new parties, which would force them to think again about how they pick their candidates. I started out reading this article being uncertain, but you are making me lean more and more to the view that a commitment to absolute internal democracy as it pertains to the selection of candidates is not a panacea for all ills and does not add as much value to the process as it seems.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

I thought this was telling: "We went to Iraq because you said it was better to fight them over there than fight them over here. Then you invited them over here anyway! Then you said that we had to keep inviting them over here if we wanted to win over there. And we figured out: You care a lot more about the “inviting" part than the “winning" part. So no more"
    And how many here are going to close their eyes and stick wax in their ears. You lost the EU referendum because for years you did not understand the problems of the common person.

Well just remember - each person usually only has one vote and there are a hell of a lot more common people in America than high-falutin self-styled 'elite'.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932
    eek said:

It's pretty much why I'd vote for Trump, if I were an American. If you're a White male (and to a lesser extent, a White female) who's not a member of the elite, what you could expect from a Clinton Presidency is no increase in your income, relentless demonisation for being a racist and bigot, and as much of an amnesty for illegal immigrants as she could get past Congress. Why would one want to vote for that?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I sense that there is a lot of wishful thinking in that!

The powerful well connected MPs with the safe seats won't (apart from Labour's little difficulty) have much problem getting chosen for the plumb seats again, wherever they are. And in much of the country it won't make much difference where the lines are anyway - carve up Surrey and Hampshire - or Liverpool and Manchester - however you like, Tory and Labour won't mind too much. And any new boundaries won't be good news for the LibDems.
    As a party, it's certainly true that the Conservatives won't worry too much about the outcome of the review in Surrey, or Labour in Gtr Manchester. An individual lazy MP in one of those seats might have more cause for concern though.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:
    Thanks - they're leaving lots of space for standing! At least the 'everything yellow' grab rails era appears behind us.....
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

And how many here are going to close their eyes and stick wax in their ears. You lost the EU referendum because for years you did not understand the problems of the common person.

Well just remember - each person usually only has one vote and there are a hell of a lot more common people in America than high-falutin self-styled 'elite'.
    Personally I would go for economic policies that significant redressed things in favour of your 'common people' and tackled the unaccountable and unacceptable elite that we now have, but am not willing to give up on my liberal social and international views. Maybe I should be backing Corbyn after all? Or maybe the LibDems need to get a lot more radical on the economy?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

On voters' priorities:

Utter bollox
    PS: the poll I mean not your goodself.
    In what way is a 1000+ base size poll 'utter bollox'?

One might form the impression that Nats were impervious to data and facts.....surely not?
  • Options
    Wow, looking over at the Aus vs SL test match, the current 9th wicket partnership has scored 4 runs in 138 balls, a run rate of 0.17 an over.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

kle4 said:

runnymede said:

Actually, it's the opposite. Where there's a turnout of 30 million or so, that's fine. But where 1-2% can hijack the system to their own ends then there's a problem and if the solution cannot be quantity because there isn't the willingness for enough people to engage, then it must be quality.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

You seem to be very concerned the parties not being democratic in how they present their choice to us will mean the end of democracy itself. The parties could all be dictatorships, but we the people would still get to choose which candidate of theirs we wanted, and if we didn't like their choices we could stand ourselves or form new parties, which would force them to think again about how they pick their candidates. I started out reading this article being uncertain, but you are making me lean more and more to the view that a commitment to absolute internal democracy as it pertains to the selection of candidates is not a panacea for all ills and does not add as much value to the process as it seems.
    A benign dictator who you agree with must be the best of all possible governments (which is of course proxy for being in charge yourself, without all the effort). The only two problems seem to be that you can't rid of them if/when the power goes to their head and they go mad or become less benign, and when they eventually die everything tends to fall apart and turn nasty.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

A benign dictator who you agree with must be the best of all possible governments. The only two problems seem to be that you can't rid of them if/when the power goes to their head and they go mad or become less benign, and when they eventually die everything tends to fall apart and turn nasty.
    Yes, absolutely. Democracy is the best longer term solution all around. But we have democracy even if one party decided it could only be headed by members of one family or something. Or if both main ones did. If we disliked their choices enough we have other options, or can create our own.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Belgium arrests over planned attacks
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36932227
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

It's pretty much why I'd vote for Trump, if I were an American. If you're a White male (and to a lesser extent, a White female) who's not a member of the elite, what you could expect from a Clinton Presidency is no increase in your income, relentless demonisation for being a racist and bigot, and as much of an amnesty for illegal immigrants as she could get past Congress. Why would one want to vote for that?
    You tell us we’re a minority now? OK. We’re going to start acting like a minority. We’re going to vote like a bloc, and we’re going to vote for our bloc's champion. So long as he keeps faith with us against you, we’ll keep faith with him against you.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    So what do SNP voters want?

Priorities for Scottish Govt (SNP vote 2015):
    NHS: 47
    Economy: 36
    Separate EU deal: 35
    Immigration: 29
    Sindyref2: 25

Among those who voted Indy in 2014 only 28% see SindyRef2 as a top priority......

Looks to me like Scotland is leaving the EU.....as part of the UK.....
  • Options

MaxPB said:
    Thanks - they're leaving lots of space for standing! At least the 'everything yellow' grab rails era appears behind us.....
    And hanging straps!
This discussion has been closed.