Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn remains on the ballot and doesn’t require nomination

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn remains on the ballot and doesn’t require nominations as Labour donor loses court case

Foskett's ruling says "natural impression" of party rules on members was without leadership vacancy, no need for MPs to nominate incumbent

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The Labour rebels should have dared him into finding nominations rather than heading to court.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    GO JEZZA!!!!!!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    TGOHF said:

The Labour rebels should have dared him into finding nominations rather than heading to court.

And he would have - quite rightly - refused.

For a challenge mechanism to exist, you have to have someone to challenge. That person must necessarily hold the office/position in order to be challenged.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Another victory over the establishment. #TeamCorbyn
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I remain totally amazed that anyone ever seriously thought this outcome wasn't bloody obvious from the start.

Months ago we talked about this, inspected the rules and most thought it was totally clear. IIRC our conversations first kicked off from almost the moment Jezza was elected Leader.

Still, some lawyers made a few quid from it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Smash him in the ballots?
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    The "unelectable" Mr Corbyn steamrollers on.

Next stop, court action, I believe next week, to decide whether NEC was right to disenfranchise 130,000 members signed up since January.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Unlucky, Mr Smith. - Suck it up, buttercup. :lol:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    From the details of the rules floating around, from a layman's perspective it looked pretty solid an interpretation that Corbyn did not need nominations. Corbyn will be loving it, this just fuels the passion of his supporters as someone really did go all out trying to stop him using technical points, and they lost to boot.
  • Options

Unlucky, Mr Smith. - Suck it up, buttercup. :lol:

I don't think Smith would have been automatically annointed Leader - the nomination process would have had to be restarted. And that would have opened things up again.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    BudG said:

Next stop, court action, I believe next week, to decide whether NEC was right to disenfranchise 130,000 members signed up since January.

A funny story on the freeze date according to leftist NEC member Ann Black. After succeeding in securing his place on the ballot Corbyn left the NEC meeting and was filmed outside celebrating with his supporters.

Meanwhile inside the NEC debated the various options which had been circulated in briefing packs 30 minutes before the start of the meeting. The usual 6 month freeze was in effect unless the NEC chose otherwise. A proposal to set a June freeze was tied 14-14. Had Corbyn not left early the motion would have carried and 130,000 would have a vote.

It was Corbyn's fault....
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    PlatoSaid said:

I remain totally amazed that anyone ever seriously thought this outcome wasn't bloody obvious from the start.

Months ago we talked about this, inspected the rules and most thought it was totally clear. IIRC our conversations first kicked off from almost the moment Jezza was elected Leader.

Including me. But only by laying Smith.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    So the choice is Corbyn or Smith. What a mess.

All of the PLP needs to get behind Smith 100% now. Confirm unequivocally that if they are asked to serve by him they will. Confirm that if Corbyn wins they will continue not to serve leaving Corbyn without the ability to draw up a shadow cabinet. Confirming that as the people who have had to work with him most and are best placed to assess him Corbyn is just not good enough and not up to the job. And they need to all be saying this every day.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    I noticed that Lord Deben had retweeted something from a twitter account and intrigued I had a look at what else they had written. This line about LEAVE = STUPID people seems to be a common view amongst the hardened REMAINers.

InForBritain ‏@InForBritain Jul 26
    Our SHOCKING poll finds number of thick, stupid Leavers has actually grown since #EUref. I despair. #brexitin5words
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I can name the person who started this nonsense:

HYUFD
  • Options

BudG said:

A funny story on the freeze date according to leftist NEC member Ann Black. After succeeding in securing his place on the ballot Corbyn left the NEC meeting and was filmed outside celebrating with his supporters.

Meanwhile inside the NEC debated the various options which had been circulated in briefing packs 30 minutes before the start of the meeting. The usual 6 month freeze was in effect unless the NEC chose otherwise. A proposal to set a June freeze was tied 14-14. Had Corbyn not left early the motion would have carried and 130,000 would have a vote.

Problem is, the "usual 6 month freeze" was not used in last years leadership election and not thought usual enough to make mention of it on the Labour Party website that most people signed up on. It simply said Join the Labour Party and take part in leadership elections.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

I noticed that Lord Deben had retweeted something from this twitter account and intrigued I had a look at what else they had written. This line about LEAVE = STUPID people seems to be a common view amongst the hardened REMAINers.

Our SHOCKING poll finds number of thick, stupid Leavers has actually grown since #EUref. I despair. #brexitin5words

Like hardened people of any political persuasion, it's if you were clever, you'd understand and agree; you disagree => you are not clever.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

All of the PLP needs to get behind Smith 100% now. Confirm unequivocally that if they are asked to serve by him they will. Confirm that if Corbyn wins they will continue not to serve leaving Corbyn without the ability to draw up a shadow cabinet. Confirming that as the people who have had to work with him most and are best placed to assess him Corbyn is just not good enough and not up to the job. And they need to all be saying this every day.

It won't work.

Momentum isn't listening.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RodCrosby was right again...
  • Options
    BudG said:

Unelectable is used to refer to his prospects among the wider electorate, not the Labour selectorate. We won't know the definitive answer to whether he is indeed unelectable in that sense until 2020, all evidence before then is not complete proof - however, one can certainly make an assessment as to whether victory among the Labour selectorate is a better indicator of his wider electability or if other evidence, like annual locals, polls, etc, are a better indicator. Reasonable people will differ on that front.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Hearing fictional rumours that the PLP are looking at sending Martin Brunt to the next Momentum meeting.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    A right-wing rag writes – “Owen Smith wanted to be a slick version of Jeremy Corbyn – but he's ended up as a dodgy sexist copy”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-owen-smith-labour-leadership-dodgy-copy-theresa-may-smash-her-back-on-her-heels-a7159621.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    DavidL said:

We will replace the PLP
  • Options

DavidL said:

We will replace the PLP
    But what will replace Labour? Do we really want a choice of the Tories or UKIP for the next government?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    "Not one step back, Comrades!"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    kle4 said:

From the details of the rules floating around, from a layman's perspective it looked pretty solid an interpretation that Corbyn did not need nominations. Corbyn will be loving it, this just fuels the passion of his supporters as someone really did go all out trying to stop him using technical points, and they lost to boot.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/summary-of-judgment-foster-v-mcnicol-and-corbyn-20160728.pdf

Looks pretty open & shut to me too....
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    DavidL said:

That's not going to work. It's the same type of mistake as the Remain campaign: telling your voters that you, the grown ups, know best, and how dare they think of making a different democratic choice.

The Labour Party as constituted is closer to a direct than representative democracy. If the MPs aren't happy with the results that produces they have to find better ways of convincing the membership they're right, rather than trying to impose a more representative democracy model through blackmail.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    DavidL said:

Fine, then what when Corbyn wins?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Time for those ex-shadow cabinet members who made complete and utter fools of themselves resigning to follow the example of Sarah Champion MP and return, tail between legs, to Jezza and beg forgiveness from Dear Leader.

Jezza isn't a vindictive man so I'm sure he'll allow some of them back in...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

I noticed that Lord Deben had retweeted something from this twitter account and intrigued I had a look at what else they had written. This line about LEAVE = STUPID people seems to be a common view amongst the hardened REMAINers.

Like hardened people of any political persuasion, it's if you were clever, you'd understand and agree; you disagree => you are not clever.
    Like gay marriage, Brexit has gone from being part of the lunatic fringe to the conventional wisdom in half a generation. Trying to overturn Brexit is now a lost cause.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It won't work.

Momentum isn't listening.
    Momentum is not a majority of Labour members. Even now. But a lot of not very active members need to be persuaded to vote.
  • Options
    BudG said:

BudG said:

Problem is, the "usual 6 month freeze" was not used in last years leadership election and not thought usual enough to make mention of it on the Labour Party website that most people signed up on. It simply said Join the Labour Party and take part in leadership elections.
    Angela encouraged her supporters to join Labour during her launch event. Those who joined during the last ten months had a reasonable expectation that they'd have a vote.
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259

Pagan said:

The solution is to stop as many people needing to commute.

A sensible government policy to promote companies to allow staff to work from home would do all of the following

1) reduce congestion of the transport network . Road and rail
    2) Allow staff to be more geographically widespread so allowing staff to live in cheaper areas
    3) Bring much needed income into the cheaper areas as wages were spent locally
    4) Give people an effective payrise while not costing the company anymore as they no longer have the cost of commuting
    5) Provide an employment boost to poorer areas of the country as people are enabled to move out of the south east
    6) It would also make infrastructure such as schools and hospitals potentially more effective as a better mix of people were in each area. This last is largely supposition on my part though as it seems fairly accepted that the poor and workless tend to have more health and educational issues so diluting areas with people moved from the south east may help
    7) Lower the housing crisis in the south east

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, Mr. Pagan. It would take not very much money (all of it from the employers) and provide huge benefits. It will however, really impact on middle managers (what are they going to do without employees in the office to "manage") and people whose jobs depend on meetings.

Hmmm, the more I think about it the better the idea becomes. HMG enacts legislation requiring a company to provide a guaranteed seat per ticket. The City (and the civil service) and their equivalents in Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh etc., are forced to reform their working practices. The worker bees get a better life and a whole level of pen pushers become redundant. Productivity will zoom, and it will shift employment out of London.
    In my old company it seemed to be the middle managers who worked from home all the time while the ground troops weren't allowed to on the whole. It probably wouldnt take much to bring in. A guaranteed right to ask to be able to work from home, much like the flexible hours right they brought in. Perhaps a small tax incentive initially to give companies a carrot. In these days where we have the like of video conferencing within the easy reach of most there really is little reason not to except for managers fearing they can't properly oversee things and that is a failing on their part.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    GIN1138 said:

Time for those ex-shadow cabinet members who made complete and utter fools of themselves resigning to follow the example of Sarah Champion MP and return, tail between legs, to Jezza and beg forgiveness from Dear Leader.

Who told you JC isn't vindictive?

• Options

DavidL said:

That is for the PLP to decide but as BJO points out they are going to be replaced one way or another in that scenario.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Is it permitted to say "I told you so"?

The number of people on here who were confidently asserting that the NEC/courts would rule against the natural interpretation of the wording was quite extraordinary
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    DavidL said:

The Labour Party is its members.

The parliamentary party is not the Labour party.

MPs should go join another party if they are out of line with the membership.
  • Options
    BudG said:

140K I understand. What happens to CLP hustings meetings that have taken place and nominated without the 140k, would need to be re run.

The way the NEC/PLP have gerrymandered the vote is a disgrace for any democratic party
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited July 2016

DavidL said:

We will replace the PLP
    Invasion of the Party Snatchers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alternatively, all of the PLP should persuade Mr Smith to pull out now and confirm that if they are prepared to do the job that they were elected to do and oppose the Tories. It would save the Labour Party the cost of holding an expensive election, save the cost of defending the court case regarding disenfranchising 130000 of their members and save the damage that a further two months of public in-fighting will do to the Party.

If the Party is to remain in one piece and if there is to be any chance of Corbyn being persuaed to relinquish the leadership ahead of the next election, this would be a better alternative
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pagan said:

Pagan said:

The solution is to stop as many people needing to commute.

A sensible government policy to promote companies to allow staff to work from home would do all of the following

1) reduce congestion of the transport network . Road and rail
    2) Allow staff to be more geographically widespread so allowing staff to live in cheaper areas
    3) Bring much needed income into the cheaper areas as wages were spent locally
    4) Give people an effective payrise while not costing the company anymore as they no longer have the cost of commuting
    5) Provide an employment boost to poorer areas of the country as people are enabled to move out of the south east
    6) It would also make infrastructure such as schools and hospitals potentially more effective as a better mix of people were in each area. This last is largely supposition on my part though as it seems fairly accepted that the poor and workless tend to have more health and educational issues so diluting areas with people moved from the south east may help
    7) Lower the housing crisis in the south east

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, Mr. Pagan. It would take not very much money (all of it from the employers) and provide huge benefits. It will however, really impact on middle managers (what are they going to do without employees in the office to "manage") and people whose jobs depend on meetings.

Hmmm, the more I think about it the better the idea becomes. HMG enacts legislation requiring a company to provide a guaranteed seat per ticket. The City (and the civil service) and their equivalents in Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh etc., are forced to reform their working practices. The worker bees get a better life and a whole level of pen pushers become redundant. Productivity will zoom, and it will shift employment out of London.
    In my old company it seemed to be the middle managers who worked from home all the time while the ground troops weren't allowed to on the whole. It probably wouldnt take much to bring in. A guaranteed right to ask to be able to work from home, much like the flexible hours right they brought in. Perhaps a small tax incentive initially to give companies a carrot. In these days where we have the like of video conferencing within the easy reach of most there really is little reason not to except for managers fearing they can't properly oversee things and that is a failing on their part.
    I work from home most of the time, but most of my work is solo work.

For teamwork, face time in the same room rather than over the internet, is important. So any work from home rule should still permit companies to require a minimum of on-site work too in order to build and maintain teams/culture.
  • Options
    Mr. Wheel, the PLP has only itself to blame. They put Corbyn on the ballot.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

GIN1138 said:

Who told you JC isn't vindictive?

Jezza is a man of peace, love and solidarity... The beardie leftie will show great mercy to those who have conspired against him...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

BudG said:

By not voting Corbyn has generated £2.5m in additional Labour Party revenue while being able to blame others for forcing those people to fork out an additional £25 each...

Another Win/win for Corbyn
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Well, duh. This has been obvious for weeks if not months...

(smug mode off) :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BudG said:

Unelectable is used to refer to his prospects among the wider electorate, not the Labour selectorate. We won't know the definitive answer to whether he is indeed unelectable in that sense until 2020, all evidence before then is not complete proof - however, one can certainly make an assessment as to whether victory among the Labour selectorate is a better indicator of his wider electability or if other evidence, like annual locals, polls, etc, are a better indicator. Reasonable people will differ on that front.
    Even 2020 won't be definitive... n=1 is not statistically significant!
  • Options

BudG said:

It is Corbyn's fault the Labour party has raised £4.5m from the £25 supporter payments.
  • Options
    Charles said:

The number of people on here who were confidently asserting that the NEC/courts would rule against the natural interpretation of the wording was quite extraordinary

@ChrisshipITV: Both Labour Party and Jeremy Corbyn have been awarded their costs. Not a great day in court for the applicant Michael Foster
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I noticed that Lord Deben had retweeted something from a twitter account and intrigued I had a look at what else they had written. This line about LEAVE = STUPID people seems to be a common view amongst the hardened REMAINers.

That has to be a spoof account.
  • Options

Charles said:

@ChrisshipITV: Both Labour Party and Jeremy Corbyn have been awarded their costs. Not a great day in court for the applicant Michael Foster
    I doubt they've got all their costs.
  • Options

A right-wing rag writes – “Owen Smith wanted to be a slick version of Jeremy Corbyn – but he's ended up as a dodgy sexist copy”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-owen-smith-labour-leadership-dodgy-copy-theresa-may-smash-her-back-on-her-heels-a7159621.html

"Smith seems to be having difficulty finding what he stands for. You read the morning briefing and it all seems as though he's very continuity-Corbyn. By dinner time, he's saying that the current Labour leader and Tony Blair have a lot in common. Yes, it's difficult to keep up with. He seems to move from one position to another with great ease. Smith will jump from suggesting Corbyn is part of a hard-left clique to arguing that he hasn't embraced radical policies in the space of an afternoon."
  • Options

DavidL said:

We will replace the PLP
    Invasion of the party snatchers.
    PLP trying to steal the Party back from the democratically elected Glorious Leader.

Party rescued by members.

If they will not serve Jezza under a new mandate. There is no option but to replace.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

DavidL said:

We will replace the PLP
    What will you do? Send Martin Brunt to report on their next meeting?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Corbyn already has a shadow cabinet functional enough that no one can tell the difference.

In fact it's more functional that the previous one, since it doesn't contain members who are constantly plotting.
    It's better to keep them out of the tent pissing in, than inside pissing in.
  • Options

Ma Beckett called nominating Corbyn 'the biggest political mistake of my life' - and that was many months ago......
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

DavidL said:

Two choices:

Force a split
    Crawl back behind Corbyn.

Falling back in line is what I expect they will do as they don't have the balls to force a split and set up a new party imo. So they will crawl back and try and kiss Corbyn's behind so they don't face deselection, but a lot are already doomed as I expect Corbyn and his momentum lot to go on a purge.

I think we might see a lot of the big names, people like Cooper for example perhaps stand down at the next election. A mindset of it's Labour or nothing for me, but I just can't work for Corbyn.

Some of these replacement choices from the resulting deselections and going to introduce some pretty colorful characters (and that's putting it mildly) looking at Corbyn's base support.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,437
    The full decision https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/judgment-foster-v-mcnicol-and-corbyn-20160728.pdf is interesting. The showman's guild case is specifically referenced. Para 52 is also important.
  • Options

They attach to the spine, so at least Burnham is safe.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Well, what a surprise. I don't think. It always seemed highly unlikely that the court would overrule NEC.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Actually this was the establishment (a judge) making a decision that meant Corbyn will continue as a candidate in the leadership election.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    BudG said:

DavidL said:

Alternatively, all of the PLP should persuade Mr Smith to pull out now and confirm that if they are prepared to do the job that they were elected to do and oppose the Tories. It would save the Labour Party the cost of holding an expensive election, save the cost of defending the court case regarding disenfranchising 130000 of their members and save the damage that a further two months of public in-fighting will do to the Party.

If the Party is to remain in one piece and if there is to be any chance of Corbyn being persuaed to relinquish the leadership ahead of the next election, this would be a better alternative

The Party will never be in one piece whilst Corbyn is leader. He is just too damaging and nonconsensus.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Ma Beckett called nominating Corbyn 'the biggest political mistake of my life' - and that was many months ago......
    Harriet Harman is the real culprit for her stupidity as Acting Leader a year ago. She should never be forgiven.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,321
    The membership won't listen. It doesn't matter that shadow ministers, our economic advisers and Corbyn's own chief of staff all quit saying he's impossible to work for. All those people have no idea what he's like, only the people who have never met him can really know what he's like.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, she's right. But the mistake is still inexplicable.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Speedy said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn already has a shadow cabinet functional enough that no one can tell the difference.

In fact it's more functional that the previous one, since it doesn't contain members who are constantly plotting.
    He's barely got a functional (in the sense of posts filled) Shadow cabinet. He's certainly not got a functional shadow front bench
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

RodCrosby was right again...
    Didn't he predict a Trump win? God help us.......
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

DavidL said:

Two choices:

Force a split

Falling back in line is what I expect they will do as they don't have the balls to force a split and set up a new party imo. So they will crawl back and try and kiss Corbyn's behind so they don't face deselection, but a lot are already doomed as I expect Corbyn and his momentum lot to go on a purge.

I think we might see a lot of the big names, people like Cooper for example perhaps stand down at the next election. A mindset of it's Labour or nothing for me, but I just can't work for Corbyn.
    That's the way I see it. Quite aside from the ballsiness required to split, who does it help. There are those who say Corbyn is incompetent but his ideas are ok, they will definitely stick around, and for those who think his ideas are crazy too, well, they think of themselves as true Labour, and they will cling to the idea that the only way Labour will save itself is if it comes to realise Corbyn will ruin them. So they will either not fight deselection, or play the long game and hope the membership wakes up after a GE defeat.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Artist said:

Actually this was the establishment (a judge) making a decision that meant Corbyn will continue as a candidate in the leadership election.
    Nonsense, MI5 tried to get to the Judge but the comrade bravely fought back against Tory intimidation.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    BudG said:

DavidL said:

Alternatively, all of the PLP should persuade Mr Smith to pull out now and confirm that if they are prepared to do the job that they were elected to do and oppose the Tories.
    The job they were elected to do is to represent their constituents.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

DavidL said:

We will replace the PLP
    PLP trying to steal the Party back from the democratically elected Glorious Leader.

If they will not serve Jezza under a new mandate. There is no option but to replace.
    I agree that the majority of the PLP needs to be replaced.
    People like Hunt, Kinnock, and Benn definitely have no place even in their own constituencies (who seriously thinks that Tristram Hunt is representative of his constituents? ).
    And are serial backstabbers that any sane party would have kicked out a long time ago.

But I disagree with the phrase "Glorious Leader", no leader should be called glorious.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

She's being too kind to herself.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

DavidL said:

Apparently the Speaker can.
  • Options

The full decision https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/judgment-foster-v-mcnicol-and-corbyn-20160728.pdf is interesting. The showman's guild case is specifically referenced. Para 52 is also important.

Far more interesting point is the ouster clause.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

DavidL said:

Two choices:

Force a split

Some of these replacement choices from the resulting deselections and going to introduce some pretty colorful characters (and that's putting it mildly) looking at Corbyn's base support.
    Corbynite MPs, as with SNP influx will be a breath of fresh air.

As far as i am concerned I would rather have 150 Corbynite MPs than 172 Tory Lite and 40 Corbynite ones any day
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

Pagan said:

I work from home most of the time, but most of my work is solo work.

For teamwork, face time in the same room rather than over the internet, is important. So any work from home rule should still permit companies to require a minimum of on-site work too in order to build and maintain teams/culture.
    I don't see a problem with that stipulation, however I remain unconvinced that facetime in the same room adds much if you are using the right online tools. Certainly there are many large open source projects that are successful such as Linux where team members are separated not only in geography but time zone that implies it is not important as some seem to claim.

In my experience when working in a team most meetings seems to be more about catching up some manager on a regular basis than the team actually getting much useful out of it. A standup meeting every morning for example can easily be done via skype using voice and webcam with little lost. As can communication between team members.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

BudG said:

DavidL said:

Alternatively, all of the PLP should persuade Mr Smith to pull out now and confirm that if they are prepared to do the job that they were elected to do and oppose the Tories.
    Details, details.

It's interesting how Corbyn must presumably believe he was opposing the Tories those 500 times he voted against Labour, if we are to accept opposing Tories is the primary purpose of a Labour MP.
  • Options

Well, duh. This has been obvious for weeks if not months...

(smug mode off) :)

ThreeQuidder - Have you not upgraded to TwentyfiveQuidder?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

BudG said:

140K I understand. What happens to CLP hustings meetings that have taken place and nominated without the 140k, would need to be re run.

The way the NEC/PLP have gerrymandered the vote is a disgrace for any democratic party
    Hardly! - CLP nominations for the leadership have no great significance anyway in that they cannot bind CLP members to vote a particular way.
  • Options

The membership won't listen. It doesn't matter that shadow ministers, our economic advisers and Corbyn's own chief of staff all quit saying he's impossible to work for. All those people have no idea what he's like, only the people who have never met him can really know what he's like.

Have you met him ?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

BudG said:

DavidL said:

Well quite. You can tell the extent to which Labour has lost the plot to the extent that the one thing they seem to be united on is that what their main purpose of existence is to oppose the Tories.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

BudG said:

The Labour party, at inception, did not win an immediate majority. Corbyn and his acolytes can simply say they are resetting the party and starting afresh.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    jonny83 said:

Two choices:

Force a split

On past form, they'll go for a third option:

Prevaricate and moan, hoping that something will turn up
  • Options
    edited July 2016

BudG said:

DavidL said:

The Party will never be in one piece whilst Corbyn is leader. He is just too damaging and nonconsensus.

Then the sensible thing, if they want the Party to return to being in one piece is to do their jobs, stop undermining him and use the time to negotiate for a successor that Corbyn is accepting of, to be put on the ballot for a leadership election before the next GE.
  • Options
    First Theresa now Boris - talking French in France:

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Well, what a surprise. I don't think. It always seemed highly unlikely that the court would overrule NEC.

That is to misunderstand the judgment. Para. 57 makes it very clear that the court would be absolutely fine with overruling the NEC, if it thought the NEC had got the law wrong.
  • Options

Charles said:

:open_mouth: How much is that? Isn't he a hairdresser?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

"The majority of baby boomers plan to spend their money rather than pass it on to their children, a study suggests.
    Two out of three baby boomers — the postwar generation widely seen as having profited from the huge rise in property prices as well as generous pension schemes — said that they did not plan to bankroll the future security of their children.
    Their offspring, however, are relying more than any other age group on being able to inherit their parents’ money and property in order to retire, the study found."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/baby-boomers-blow-their-childrens-inheritance-js5r72wp6
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    This sounds eerily like Owen Jones prediction on LEAVE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi_IipZVG8
  • Options

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Worse than voting for Iraq and abandoning the WWC

And that in a nutshell is wrong with the PLP
  • Options
    alex. said:

Speedy said:

DavidL said:

He's barely got a functional (in the sense of posts filled) Shadow cabinet. He's certainly not got a functional shadow front bench
    There's this assumption that you need to have a Shadow for every single post in the Cabinet.

I'm not sure that's actually right - a smaller team might actually be more impactful (not that I think Corbyn's team has sufficient talented people to make this model work)
  • Options
    Mr. JS, not a father, but that seems a really odd perspective to me. Even if I never have children, I hope to be successful enough to leave something to my nephew and niece.
  • Options
    Reason 156 there will be no split - the current fighting, unlike Corbyn's serial rebelling, is damaging to the Labour brand as a whole. However much most of the MPs may think Corbyn a disaster, forming a new party and making a success of it (a very unlikely scenario) would just make permanent the fighting on the left and prevent victory for the left. A bare handful, if that, will want to try that again when it worked so poorly the last time in the long run. The brand of Labour is so strong it can survive a Corbyn disaster, should it occur. Not survive well, but it would survive to fight on. So they will stay. Either keeping quiet or bowing out.

This is Corbyn country now. Only electoral oblivion has a chance of changing that, and we won't find out for awhile.
  • Options

@RodCrosby has trillions of smug points here.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited July 2016
    Speedy said:

DavidL said:

We will replace the PLP

I agree that the majority of the PLP needs to be replaced.
    People like Hunt, Kinnock, and Benn definitely have no place even in their own constituencies (who seriously thinks that Tristram Hunt is representative of his constituents? ).
    And are serial backstabbers that any sane party would have kicked out a long time ago.

But I disagree with the phrase "Glorious Leader", no leader should be called glorious.
    A Corbynite wouldn't be any more a suitable candidate for Stoke on Trent than Tristram Hunt is.
  • Options
    Charles said:

alex. said:

Speedy said:

DavidL said:

There's this assumption that you need to have a Shadow for every single post in the Cabinet.

I'm not sure that's actually right - a smaller team might actually be more impactful (not that I think Corbyn's team has sufficient talented people to make this model work)
    He could have axed positions, he hasn't. He still has the positions, people are double jobbing.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Worse than voting for Iraq and abandoning the WWC

And that in a nutshell is wrong with the PLP
    If she thinks nominating Corbyn means Labour will never be in government to help people, then even with those colossal mistakes her view makes sense, even if you think she is wrong.

Although a fringe of the left do seem to think parliamentary politics irrelevant, we've seen evidence that, contrary to claims from some on the Labour right, Corbynistas so care about winning power, they just think Corbyn can deliver it. Conversely, some on the Corbyn left claim what really frightens those on the right is that Corbyn will win. Now, they may also be a fringe who believe that. But the majority, I would suggest, really do think that Labour cannot win and help people under Corbyn. Right or wrong, that is what they think.

As with a lot of politics, both sides are not even attempting to understand each other, and in fact many take pride in not trying.
  • Options
    My long shot prediction is that after a couple more weeks Owen Smith will realise he has no chance of winning and withdraw.

He will use the excuse of too much abuse (from Corbynistas) and say he is withdrawing for the sake of the party - trying to leave the impression that he could have won if not for the intimidation of Corbyn supporters. Smith will not want to have to admit that the great majority of party members still support Corbyn because this undermines the PLP anti Corbyn position.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

BudG said:

The Labour party, at inception, did not win an immediate majority. Corbyn and his acolytes can simply say they are resetting the party and starting afresh.
    Well if the Party doesnt unite behind Corbyn

I for one and I suspect I will be in the majority will blame a defeat on PLP in 2020.

The left have the control of the party till 2025 IMO
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BudG said:

DavidL said:

Details, details.

It's interesting how Corbyn must presumably believe he was opposing the Tories those 500 times he voted against Labour, if we are to accept opposing Tories is the primary purpose of a Labour MP.
    The problem was never about backbench rebellions, it was the constant plotting inside the shadow cabinet to get rid of Corbyn from day 1.

Any leader has every right to remove those who he appoints to positions, and betray his trust.
This discussion has been closed.