Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladrokes offering evens that the SNP will increase the numb

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I must say that Tom Watson referring to Drenge in his resignation is quite eccentric. Ed Miliband should have responded in his letter by quoting Bruce Springsteen:

"So say goodbye it's Independence Day
    All men must make their way come Independence Day."

Not everyone has my rare talent for slipping in subtle musical references into letters and articles.

But today it is clear out of Ed and Tom Watson who is Master and Servant.
    I once slipped "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" into a formal letter of advice (subsequently reviewed by a QC). That remains my highpoint.
    Please tell me that the client or the QC was called Kevin Carter.

I once wrote a report which referenced songs inter alia, Westlife, Take That, Boyzone and New Kids on The Block.

That remains a high point for me.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    In the name of all that is good and decent on this Board, I wish to deplore and disassociate myself from those - and you know who you are - so cruelly and cowardly displaying such unfeeling schadenfreude at tim's obvious pain and discomfort. Everyone knows the restraint and generosity of spirit he would exercise were the positions reversed,
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    antifrank said:

I must say that Tom Watson referring to Drenge in his resignation is quite eccentric. Ed Miliband should have responded in his letter by quoting Bruce Springsteen:

"So say goodbye it's Independence Day
    All men must make their way come Independence Day."

Nah, this is more Ed's taste...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA7v0zknMCo
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,951
    Once upon a time, there was a very famous priest (Miliband) in a very old religion (Labour). He decided it was the right day to perform the ritual sacrificing of a goat. In his ignorance, he thought this was an offering demanded by his god. (the media)

He obtained an appropriate goat for the sacrifice (Watson). He ordered his servants (the Blairites) to take the goat to the holy river (Thames) and wash him and decorate him with flower garlands (left over from Glastonbury). Then they were to wash themselves, as part of the purification (putrification?) practice.

Down at the riverbank, the goat (Watson) suddenly understood that today he would definitely be killed (after trying career suicide the previous day). He also became aware of his past births and deaths and rebirths (under Blair/Brown/Miliband). He realized that the results of his past unwholesome deeds were about to finally be completed (or were about to be revealed). So he laughed an uproarious goat-laugh, like the clanging of cymbals (and then talked about music).

In the midst of his laughter, he realized another truth that the priest, by sacrificing him, would suffer the same terrible results, due to his ignorance. So he began to cry as loudly as he had just been laughing! (And we all joined in)

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/bt1_20.htm
  • Options
    This is from one of the pieces I linked to in nighthawks last night

Cameron’s attacks achieved one very obvious thing: they delighted the Tory benches who largely seem to hate unions with a passion.

But to be heard by voters, the prime minister is relying on people still viewing trade unions as a serious power in the country.

Having said that, given that those in their 50s and above are both most likely to remember that being the case and most likely to vote, this may be a well-calculated strategy.

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2013/07/pmqs-how-much-does-the-union-row-hurt-labour/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    JohnO said:

In the name of all that is good and decent on this Board, I wish to deplore and disassociate myself from those - and you know who you are - so cruelly and cowardly displaying such unfeeling schadenfreude at tim's obvious pain and discomfort. Everyone knows the restraint and generosity of spirit he would exercise were the positions reversed,

Like :-)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

JackW - Even if independence is defeated and Labour hold their own in Scotland or even increase their vote, the SNP will still hope to pick up some seats from the Scottish LDs, particularly in rural areas, if independence is defeated they may even get some Labour tactical votes to do so, and with the Union safe the Tories in those seats will hardly be perturbed by SNP gains

The position of the Scottish LibDems is most odd. It mirrors their colleagues south of the border but with knobs on.

Essentially their support is very weak, indeed almost vanished, in areas where they were previously polling mediocre to bad. However in those small pockets of traditional strength they are holding up better but still under severe pressure.

It'll come down to personal vote, local organization and perhaps a small general improvement in the polls. They may end up polling 8-12% and lose only a few seats aided perhaps by a split in the vote in some seats.

We earnestly believe that the noble Viscount Thurso and his follicular trimmings enjoy a safe return to the HoC.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JohnO said:

Deserves the return of the "Like" for that alone.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    Like.

Test.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

Tory tweeters still claiming Miliband is weak as he suspends Len McCluskeys girlfriend from the Labour Party.

What a load of crap,on sky news earlier it was said ed was begging Watson not to resign a few days ago = WEAK.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Jack W - Indeed, will be interesting to watch on election night, though like you I am fond of Viscount Thurso, who is both posher than Dave and the most famous non-Tory Old Etonian in the present parliament
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Imagine your worst nightmare - set in a dinner party

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/352848248584667136/photo/1
  • Options
    This is surely the perfect gift for someone :^ )

https://twitter.com/Vexedfoxy/status/352852760804347904/photo/1
  • Options
    Plato said:

I see owen jones up near the head table with ed ;-)

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Plato said:

Is that Jemima Khan seated behind Ed M ?

• Options
    JackW said:

JohnO said:

Deserves the return of the "Like" for that alone.
    Agreed - great stuff John.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Plato said:

Is that Jemima Khan seated behind Ed M ?

I think so - I assume that isn't Eddie Shah in the middle background!
  • Options
    John Rentoul @JohnRentoul

Tom Watson's resignation letter. Killer line: "I offered my resignation on Tuesday and you asked me to reconsider" http://www.tom-watson.co.uk/2013/07/independence-day-resignation-letter-3

= WEAK.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    JackW said:

How very dare you madam place Viscount Thurso on that squalid list.

It's not my squalid list Jack. It's Martin Baxter's:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_scot.html
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,811
    The SNP should be absolutely financially broke and exhausted after the Independence referendum.
    As a supporter of the Yes campaign, but not of the SNP, I will be disappointed if they hold anything back for the 2015 election.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Any local elections tonight?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Yes, five of them, Harry's piece will be going up in a bit.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

Yes, five of them, Harry's piece will be going up in a bit.
    Good, VOTE UKIP!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @JohnRentoul
    Found a visual representation of Labour's chances at the next election http://pic.twitter.com/TbYfL3mKV5
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Little Ed is making Lamont look even sillier than usual, which is no mean feat.

And of course wee Dougie and Murphy are involved too. That's a shocker. ;^ )
    Labour rocked by resignation and suspensions as Falkirk scandal escalates

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7683-labour-rocked-by-resignation-and-suspension-as-falkirk-scandal-escalates
    It certainly doesn't look like little Ed's "root and branch reform" was a roaring success.
    SLAB starting to run about like headless chickens yet again. How very, very sad. ;(

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,227
    Bit of a reality check.

Me to light of my life: "have you heard of Tom Watson?"
    LOML: Can you give me a context?
    Me: He is an MP and was campaign manager for the Labour party. He resigned today.
    LOML: oh, why?
    Me: well there is this big story about Falkirk and the rigging of the selection of the Parliamentary candidate there.
    LOML: It's not been in the Courier.
    Me (slightly desperate) It's all about Unite and Len McCluskey apparently getting lots of new members to rig the vote.
    LOML: Oh.

So fun although this all is don't expect a big move on Yougov.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bit of a reality check.

Me: He is an MP and was campaign manager for the Labour party. He resigned today.
    Me: well there is this big story about Falkirk and the rigging of the selection of the Parliamentary candidate there.
    Me (slightly desperate) It's all about Unite and Len McCluskey apparently getting lots of new members to rig the vote.

I suspect that is largely true of most. It's more the impact on the morale of the parliamentary Labour party and the narrative of Milliband's weakness that could have a longer term impact. Also we don't know if this represents the beginning or the end of the issue.
  • Options
    Paddy Power have just shortened their price on the Indyref turnout market - More than 64% - to 8/11.

Looks like free money to me as it is pretty much inconceivable that turnout will be weak come next September. Not unless it looks like a walkover for one side or the other, which looks unlikely right now. And even then, I'd still expect a strong turnout on the day.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,300
    Well, Watson has given us the most psychedelic resignation letter in British political history. Glastonbury? Merry-go-rounds? Buddha? When you consider McCluskey's statement of 'support' yesterday ('Ed Miliband is still leader of the Labour Party') it becomes clear that these people are just taking the p*ss out of Ed. I don't think they have Ed's interest at heart. I'm wondering if there will soon be moves to depose Ed.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW - Even if independence is defeated and Labour hold their own in Scotland or even increase their vote, the SNP will still hope to pick up some seats from the Scottish LDs, particularly in rural areas, if independence is defeated they may even get some Labour tactical votes to do so, and with the Union safe the Tories in those seats will hardly be perturbed by SNP gains

The position of the Scottish LibDems is most odd. It mirrors their colleagues south of the border but with knobs on.

Essentially their support is very weak, indeed almost vanished, in areas where they were previously polling mediocre to bad. However in those small pockets of traditional strength they are holding up better but still under severe pressure.

It'll come down to personal vote, local organization and perhaps a small general improvement in the polls. They may end up polling 8-12% and lose only a few seats aided perhaps by a split in the vote in some seats.

We earnestly believe that the noble Viscount Thurso and his follicular trimmings enjoy a safe return to the HoC.

I shall, in a few weeks be attending a family party with a Scottish Lib Dem councillor, a relation by marriage.
    I shall try and discuss the situation and report.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Bit of a reality check.

Very, very few things that animate PB posters animate normal voters out there in the big wide real world. Politicians and politics junkies are atypical, and are usually pretty useless at spotting the really important trends and stories.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Well, Watson has given us the most psychedelic resignation letter in British political history. Glastonbury? Merry-go-rounds? Buddha? When you consider McCluskey's statement of 'support' yesterday ('Ed Miliband is still leader of the Labour Party') it becomes clear that these people are just taking the p*ss out of Ed. I don't think they have Ed's interest at heart. I'm wondering if there will soon be moves to depose Ed.

Perhaps Watson fancies a go as leader?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,227
    edited July 2013

Paddy Power have just shortened their price on the Indyref turnout market - More than 64% - to 8/11.

Looks like free money to me as it is pretty much inconceivable that turnout will be weak come next September. Not unless it looks like a walkover for one side or the other, which looks unlikely right now. And even then, I'd still expect a strong turnout on the day.

Turnout for devolution in 1997: 60.4%.
    If 60% were willing to turn out to vote for that foregone conclusion you are probably right. Still think that those that voted yes should be getting sent invoices though.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    MikeK said:

This is a local election for local Buddhas! There's nothing for you here!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,562
    edited July 2013
    Fans of local by-elections may be interested in taking part in the VoteUK weekly prediction competition, which paradoxically is organised on a monthly basis.

I used to take part until my form hit rock bottom a few months ago:

http://vote-2012.proboards.com/post/87242/thread
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @DavidL conversely my unpolitical other half mentioned it unprompted within 10 minutes of me walking in the door. But he is likely to be unusual in having noticed.
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

Bit of a reality check.

I suspect that is largely true of most. It's more the impact on the morale of the parliamentary Labour party and the narrative of Milliband's weakness that could have a longer term impact. Also we don't know if this represents the beginning or the end of the issue.
    Depends mainly on how Ed handles it.

It's pretty clear that he's handled it very, very poorly. He should have bitten Watson's hand off when he offered the resignation the first time.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

You're assuming the whole of Scotland hasn't died of boredom by then . This has to be one of the dullest election campaigns of recent history from both sides and still 15 months to go.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    MikeK said:

yes
    1 Con-LD marginal in Broadland
    1 safe Labour seat in Swansea
    1 Lab-UKIP marginal in Newcastle under Lyme
    1 LD-Con marginal in Vale of White Horse
    1 safe Labour seat in North Tyneside

At least, on paper
  • Options
    How brilliant is this fight with Len for Ed?

@Dannythefink
    Hilariously McCluskey is calling for Miliband to have a full independent inquiry and Ed will say that a full independent inquiry not needed.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    I see the Cheshire Farmer is running the line that Watsons resignation and the Unite shenanigans are all part of a grand plan to make Cameron look bad.

You're beginning to look ridiculous Tim..
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013

tim said:

DavidL said:

Bit of a reality check.

It's pretty clear that he's handled it very, very poorly. He should have bitten Watson's hand off when he offered the resignation the first time.

Ed M didn't want Watson to go because it shows that Ed has lost the dressing room . And , of course , Watson knows where the bodies are buried.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ED looking v weak this evening. Not read the thread since 6ish but if Tim has offered a bet to anyone, then you KNOW it is BAD.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

DavidL said:

Bit of a reality check.

Perhaps you're right, lets see.
    But Camerons red faced spasming certainly cemented the view that the smarter Tories wish to dispel re the Unions and the Conservative party.
    I doubt the public will be shocked to find that the leader of the Conservative party isn't all that keen on Unite and the Trade Unions in general. I suspect most people (including Union members themselves) know that the Tory party and the Unions aren't exactly bosom buddies. It's quite clearly not the big political story this week.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    “The mishandling of this investigation has been a disgrace. I, however, am obliged to uphold the integrity of Unite, and I can no longer do so on the basis of going along with the activities of a Labour Party administration in which I can place no trust.'

Len McLuskey, Unite.

"Dear Len, we don't seem to have received your cheque this month"

The Labour Party treasurer.
  • Options
    Newcastle under Lyme is the sort of place where UKIP need to make it happen to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

“The mishandling of this investigation has been a disgrace. I, however, am obliged to uphold the integrity of Unite, and I can no longer do so on the basis of going along with the activities of a Labour Party administration in which I can place no trust.'

Len McLuskey, Unite.

"Dear Len, we don't seem to have received your cheque this month"

The Labour Party treasurer.

Time to call the Co-op

Oh wait.....
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The Watcher..What do you mean.."beginning to look ridiculous tim"....He has been ridiculous for years...
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:

@Dannythefink
    Hilariously McCluskey is calling for Miliband to have a full independent inquiry and Ed will say that a full independent inquiry not needed.

Ed not calling for a full independent inquiry on something? Well a first time for everything I guess.... :)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Andy_JS said:

Newcastle under Lyme is the sort of place where UKIP need to make it happen to be taken seriously.

This was a UKIP seat which they won in 2007 but they lost it in 2011 to Labour
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    tim said:

tim said:

DavidL said:

Bit of a reality check.

Perhaps you're right, lets see.
    But Camerons red faced spasming certainly cemented the view that the smarter Tories wish to dispel re the Unions and the Conservative party.
    And it makes the Labour charges about who he has chosen to be close to more dangerous for him.

Ed boots out the wrongdoers, Dave dines with them is a line you'll be hearing if Miliband plays this properly.
    Is that the same as the curse of cameron line you were wibbling on about yesterday? Chortle ....
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Not that anyone has been on thread for some time, but current prices on Ladbrokes on this market are:

Over 6.5: 4/5
    Under 6.5: 11/10

4/5 remains excellent value, in my view.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all. On thread, if Scotland votes YES on 18th September next year I would expect the Coalition government to bring forward emergency legislation to disenfranchise the 59 Scottish MPs when parliament rises in March 2015. How could 59 Scottish MPs be elected for 5 years to an institution in England when in 2016 Scotland would in effect become a foreign nation?

If Scotland votes NO ( and personally I think it a brave person who is confident of such an outcome) then either Scots would decide that a stronger SNP presence would be needed at Westminster and a few more SNP MPs would be elected or the bubble would burst as in 1979 after the first Referendum was defeated on a technicality and they would be reduced to a rump of 2 or 3 seats.

As for the Tom Watson situation, it really couldn't have happened to a more suitable person. Whether it will make any difference with the electorate or indeed the world outside the Westminster village and London chatterati, who knows.

The media agenda over the next week is likely to be whether Andy Murray is British or a plucky Scot followed by the exertions of the Countess of Strathearn.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@Dannythefink

Ed not calling for a full independent inquiry on something? Well a first time for everything I guess.... :)
    LOL - like.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    Just got back from the pub, and all people were talking about was the Labour Falkirk selection. The twenty somethings were having a heated debate about the Unite unions influence over local constituency parties. The three pissheads in the corner were mumbling their disgust at someone called Len and the barmaid didn't stop twittering on about, between pulling pints, of Unites furious operation....or....does 99% of the population not know or care about the issue and it is left to the 1% of political stato's and anoraks to get frothing at the mouth over it? School place shortages, NHS/111 mayhem, the economy etc etc maybe something only slightly more important eh?
  • Options
    @RedRag1

Sounds like my sort of pub.
  • Options
    Red Rag.. you are right absolutely nothing to see here..except perhaps some corruption.,electoral fraud, the split in the shadow cabinet, the GEC report..etc..absolutely nothing to see..move along now..maybe you should go back to the pub.. safer there
  • Options
    Is there a QT tonight or is it out-of-season?
  • Options
    Can Ed get any better press than this out of his fight with Len?
    Could it look any worse for Ed – losing control of his party to a public sector union that demands an end to cuts?
    Oh, wait...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @RedRag1

Can you post directions to this pub? The drinkers in my local would consider it a great favour.
  • Options
    @Scott_P

Unite is the biggest private sector union in the country.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Easterross, good to see you on.

You're spot on regarding the need for no Scottish MPs to be involved on the union side of theoretical separation negotiations. Such a position would clearly be absolutely deranged.
  • Options
    NEIL..If Labour get back in then it will also be running the country..
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

... if Scotland votes YES on 18th September next year I would expect the Coalition government to bring forward emergency legislation to disenfranchise the 59 Scottish MPs when parliament rises in March 2015. How could 59 Scottish MPs be elected for 5 years to an institution in England when in 2016 Scotland would in effect become a foreign nation?

Isn't it more likely that legislation would be aimed at restricting the term of the Scottish MPs to match the timescale of independence. No reason to disenfranchise the whole population of Scotland before they have no concerns at Westminster anyway.
  • Options
    @RedRag1

That same company won the right to run that hospital under a process initiated by the Labour government.
  • Options
    Red Rag I know its nothing new but according to some leftie PBers it only happens with the Conservatives..now reality is about to be exposed..bent halo's everywhere..
  • Options
    It's amazing to recall that when Spreadfair closed in early December 2008, just 17 months before the May 2010 General Election, I was able to make a tidy profit by agreeing with them a closure of my BUY spread bet of SNP seats at 13.5. Had things worked out differently and my bet bet had continued until expiry, I would have made a great thumping loss.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527

Red Rag I know its nothing new but according to some leftie PBers it only happens with the Conservatives..now reality is about to be exposed..bent halo's everywhere..

I am sure the same people from tonight will be talking about corruption and politics in September.....yeah right!!!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    That the swivel-eyed loons and scottish tory surgers are utterly clueless as to the timetable for negotiations that would follow a a Yes vote to independence is hardly a surprise.
This discussion has been closed.