Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Our thoughts this morning are with the people of Nice after

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Our thoughts this morning are with the people of Nice after another terrifying attack in France

"We heard gunfire, moments later 100s of people started to run from Promenade" – eyewitness https://t.co/e63qWMQ4b6 https://t.co/mnKTtpCR4t

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    A sombre first today :(
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Looking at the bullet holes in the windshield of the truck, it appears to be right hand drive - there are no bullet holes where a left hand driver would be.
  • Options
    If not already done, expect to see lots more heavy bollards along major streets and squares.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Animals in the name of Islamic religion.

Schengen should be dead. The EU needs not just national but regional borders and road blocks. Mandatory passports. Routine searches.

Much like the rest of the world in other words.

WAKE UP EUROPE before more innocent people die :(
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Time for all of us to wake up: France.
    https://twitter.com/hermannkelly/status/753727336827199489
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Tim_B said:

Looking at the bullet holes in the windshield of the truck, it appears to be right hand drive - there are no bullet holes where a left hand driver would be.

Possible that the shooter shot obliqely from the side. No doubt safer than standing in front of a moving lorry. But who knows.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    French media saying the driver was French-Tunisian.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Schengen should be dead. The EU needs not just national but regional borders and road blocks. Mandatory passports. Routine searches.

Why? Have there only ever been terrorist attacks in the Schengen zone? Grow up.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

If not already done, expect to see lots more heavy bollards along major streets and squares.

The trick here is to use fear of terrorism, an exceedingly low risk that you have a near-zero probability of being a victim of, to do things that can prevent road accidents, which are an actual serious threat to people's safety.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

The trick here is to use fear of terrorism, an exceedingly low risk that you have a near-zero probability of being a victim of, to do things that can prevent road accidents, which are an actual serious threat to people's safety.
    Newt Gingrich has already tried to parody Obama by saying the answer is to ban lorries.
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    Not really the time to make silly political points.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Just when they seemed to be getting over the last attack, my sympathies are with them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The only thing that gives hope is if at Friday prayers in every mosque around the world, it is made clear this person has not gone to heaven, with his side-order of virgins; but as an Enemy of Islam, has just started his first day of unimaginable torment in Jahannam - Hell.

Anybody who does as he has done will also certainly be an Enemy of Islam. No waiting for the Last Day. No judgement by Allah. Just immediate Jahannam.

Time for the religious, spiritual and political leadership of Islam to take a stand. They have a responsibility. Now.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    edited July 2016

Are you American? My guess is you are lol

This is nothing to do with Schengen or the EU or recent immigration. It's to do with a number of things coming together: global issues like the American led destabilisation of the Middle East, the uprisings throughout the Arab world, the struggle within Islam itself between those who want Islam to go back to the times of the Prophet, basically purify the religion and unify Muslims against everybody else and also social problems in Western Europe arising from 2nd generation Muslims.

France is the number one target in Europe because of three reasons:

1. Under Hollande, France is more active in waging war on Islamists around the world.

2. The ban on the burka/niqab has enraged and radicalised a large section of the Muslim population and France's aggressive enforcement of secularism is not working just causing more resentment, trouble, discrimination etc.

3. The most powerful group of non middle Eastern jihadis within ISIS are French.

Not my opinions but those of a French security expert speaking earlier on Sky news.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

From Nice.

Yet again, French people killing French people.

The solution to this can only come from inside the Moslem community.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

From Nice.

Which begs the question of how will that community be motivated to drive changes from within?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,419
    Just waking up to this. Absolutely horrifying. Whats more horrifying though is that unscrupulous politicians will use this as a stick to beat up on Muslims, thus adding to the pile of grievances that fuel this.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Not only that - it is reported that some of the dead are innocent Muslims, celebrating along with everyone else.

It's atrocious. I was thinking how lucky we were not to get some terrorist attack during the recent football tournament - then this. :frowning:
  • Options
    philiph said:

From Nice.

Which begs the question of how will that community be motivated to drive changes from within?

It does. I guess it requires real leadership from within and without. But they're French and they are not going anywhere, so somehow a solution has to be found. What won't work is retribution and repression, IMO. But I have no idea what will.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    felix said:

MikeK said:
    We should add your comment to the cartoon @felix.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Very sad scenes in France. And children killed too, which is horrifying.

I hope we can find a way to stop these attacks from happening.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    O/T but also sad. Jo Cox's funeral today.
  • Options

From Nice.

The solution to Nazism can only come from inside the Nazi community?

Sorry, but delusional and violent cults need to be suppressed in the way Nazism was. Destroy the means to act violently then compulsory re-education as was done with de-nazification in west Germany after world war two with any expression of symbols of the cult punishable by long prison sentences (as happens to this day in Germany if you go around hitler saluting.

It may yet come to internment camps on the Isle of Man as was done in WW2
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited July 2016
    The purpose of Terrorism is to cause Terror. So as an aside any political response that promotes fear is aidding and abetting the perpetrators. But this is such a low tech attack it's impossible to stop. Which is it's point. If lorries are now a terrorist weapon how can any government in any state let alone a free state stop this ? While voters will rally to the ensuing security theatre deep down they know this. Which is why it's such effective terrorism. It's truly terrifying.
  • Options
    No the Real Labour party has eacaped after decades of leaders trying to keep them hidden while welcoming their essential activism and votes. Saw exactly this in Lambeth and GLC in early 80s.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Such awful news. Dreadful. Terror-filled.

Has anyone heard from Roger? I can't remember whereabouts in the SofF he lives - it's not the Riviera itself is it? Hoping we hear from him ASAP!
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited July 2016
    I don't care what his passport said or where he was born, this person isn't French.

The clearly don't share the values of liberte egalite fraternite. They dispose French civilisation.

People like this should be expelled in their millions from the west
  • Options

From Nice.

Sorry, but delusional and violent cults need to be suppressed in the way Nazism was. Destroy the means to act violently then compulsory re-education as was done with de-nazification in west Germany after world war two with any expression of symbols of the cult punishable by long prison sentences (as happens to this day in Germany if you go around hitler saluting.

The Nazis were beaten by all out war and then substantial post-war re-education and investment (at least in West Germany), not to mention partition. They also had an identifiable leadership and organisational structure.

• Options

The purpose of Terrorism is to cause Terror. So as an aside any political response that promotes fear is aidding and abetting the perpetrators. But this is such a low tech attack it's impossible to stop. Which is it's point. If lorries are now a terrorist weapon how can any government in any state let alone a free state stop this ? While voters will rally to the ensuing security theatre deep down they know this. Which is why it's such effective terrorism. It's truly terrifying.

Many more are killed every year because 40 tonne lorries and streets full of cars bicycles and pedestrians are allowed to mingle together.

Maybe that root cause needs considering too and the Road Lobby which over the last seventy years by pressure and corruption persuaded the government to allow bigger and bigger lorries and virtually destroy the rail freight industry in the 60s and 70s held to account?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    felix said:

MikeK said:
    Actually now is exactly the time to make political points, the current system in France appears powerless to stop this sort of attack. Hoping it goes away simply isn't an option.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Then there is the argument that this *isn't* terrorism as the perpetrators have no negotiable political goals. We can't negotiate, compromise or stalemate them like we did with the IRA. It's a war fought by a low tech non state actor using terrorist tactics but not terrorism. That's an even more depressing prospect as we'll just become even more authoritarian as societies while waiting for it to just burn it's self out. Which could take decades.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016

I don't care what his passport said or where he was born, this person isn't French.

The clearly don't share the values of liberte egalite fraternite. They dispose French civilisation.

People like this should be expelled in their millions from the west

Yes the liberal legalistic idea that giving you a countries passport makes you as much someone of that country as people whos ancestors have lived there for hundreds of years is absurd.
  • Options

The only thing that gives hope is if at Friday prayers in every mosque around the world, it is made clear this person has not gone to heaven, with his side-order of virgins; but as an Enemy of Islam, has just started his first day of unimaginable torment in Jahannam - Hell.

Anybody who does as he has done will also certainly be an Enemy of Islam. No waiting for the Last Day. No judgement by Allah. Just immediate Jahannam.

Time for the religious, spiritual and political leadership of Islam to take a stand. They have a responsibility. Now.

Won't happen, I suspect you know it. I hear that Islam is the religion of peace, after every atrocity I expect to see a march/protest by "peace loving Muslims", as yet.......

Don't get me wrong, I believe the vast majority of Muslims find this as abhorrent as I do, I just wish they were more vocal to remove any doubt.
  • Options
    An excellent and depressing article.

• Options

Our home grown terrorists have tended to strive for the big showpiece event in London, involving a pallet of fertiliser and intricate planning. I've always been of the opinion that once they decided to think smaller, and in places that are definitely not London, then we'd be in trouble. I think we're in trouble now.
  • Options

From Nice.

Perhaps a better analogy would be that the solution to Nazism could only come from within the German community.

To equate the actions of this cultist with the whole of Islam is to equate the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church (or worse) with Christianity. Both are enabled by their respective religions, but they do not represent the whole. Or, more aptly for this site, to say that some recent racist attacks have been caused by Leave voters, therefore all Brexiteers are racists.

This is still a small cult. We have some time. No need for internment camps, no need for any kneejerk measures - let's enable our security services to cut off its head by targetting the recruiters and indoctrinators, and then let's help the moderate Muslim community ensure that it does not grow again.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Won't happen, I suspect you know it. I hear that Islam is the religion of peace, after every atrocity I expect to see a march/protest by "peace loving Muslims", as yet.......

Don't get me wrong, I believe the vast majority of Muslims find this as abhorrent as I do, I just wish they were more vocal to remove any doubt.
    When Jo Cox was shot by a white right-winger did other white right-wing supporters go on a protest march?
  • Options

felix said:

MikeK said:
    Actually now is exactly the time to make political points, the current system in France appears powerless to stop this sort of attack. Hoping it goes away simply isn't an option.
    I wasn't arguing to do nothing - hence the 'silly' prefix.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

An excellent and depressing article.

Indeed, that is the best article I've yet read about the state of the party.
  • Options

When Jo Cox was shot by a white right-winger did other white right-wing supporters go on a protest march?
    There were rallies and vigils all around the country, involving both right and left.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

From Nice.

Perhaps a better analogy would be that the solution to Nazism could only come from within the German community.

To equate the actions of this cultist with the whole of Islam is to equate the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church (or worse) with Christianity. Both are enabled by their respective religions, but they do not represent the whole. Or, more aptly for this site, to say that some recent racist attacks have been caused by Leave voters, therefore all Brexiteers are racists.

This is still a small cult. We have some time. No need for internment camps, no need for any kneejerk measures - let's enable our security services to cut off its head by targetting the recruiters and indoctrinators, and then let's help the moderate Muslim community ensure that it does not grow again.
    Wow, that must be the shortest time after one of these someone has taken to mention Christianity yet.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Awful stuff. I've said for years though that all the focus on protecting planes and airports was only addressing the morespectacular approaches to causing mayhem and that there are no end of ways of causing it in an everyday random lowtech way.

Shocking.
  • Options

From Nice.

Wow, that must be the shortest time after one of these someone has taken to mention Christianity yet.
    Come on, I waited until after the Nazis!
  • Options

From Nice.

Come on, I waited until after the Nazis!
    Like!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,325

From Nice.

I don't think this site is worse for the use of analogy.
  • Options

There were rallies and vigils all around the country, involving both right and left.

And there will be rallies and vigils across France involving moslems and non-moslems.

This latest scumbag had been a common criminal, it turns out. I think the same is true of most (if not all) of the other Moslem attackers there have been in France. The link between crime, prison and radicalisation looks like an obvious place for the various law enforcement and security agencies to start, though they probably are already. But ultimately, the Moslem community has to police itself. If you do not actively tackle, report and condemn advocates of violence and murder you are complicit with them.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

You do not defend liberty by crushing it. Sensible precautions at high-profile or large-scale public events such as in Nice, however, are a different matter.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    As things stand, today's time trial in the Tour de France appears to be going ahead as scheduled. I'm a little surprised that it's not being cancelled or replaced with a procession ride and a French rider from Nice being given the stage at the end.
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Went to sleep last night with the sound of fireworks resounding through the old town of Antibes just down the coast from Nice and within eyesight and have woken up to this. I have commercial appointments in the town this morning and will report later what I find.

Sadly this time, Bunnco Your Man on the Spot
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Not only that - it is reported that some of the dead are innocent Muslims, celebrating along with everyone else.

It's atrocious. I was thinking how lucky we were not to get some terrorist attack during the recent football tournament - then this. :frowning:
    I agree, although I'm sure it will be more than just luck. I also wonder if the focus by the security services on the football might have taken their eyes off other potential threats - though if this was a low-tech lone wolf attack, there's not much that could have been done other than physical security in the area itself.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    felix said:

MikeK said:
    On the contrary. We may or may not agree with such sentiment but now is the time to make such points, part of the problem we have is we don't address these things, we spout platitudes and move on.

I'm a naturally cautious person, prone to inaction rather than action, for good and Ill.but sometimes underreacting or not reacting is more unhelpful than overreacting, which at least sparks debate.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Many more are killed every year because 40 tonne lorries and streets full of cars bicycles and pedestrians are allowed to mingle together.

Maybe that root cause needs considering too and the Road Lobby which over the last seventy years by pressure and corruption persuaded the government to allow bigger and bigger lorries and virtually destroy the rail freight industry in the 60s and 70s held to account?
    This is getting rapidly off the sad topic, but I'm not sure the road lobby can be blamed for the decline in railfreight, and especially the small load freight (as opposed to bulk load). Lorries offer so many advantages for small, light loads - the old wagon load - that the railways were on a loser for that traffic.

A much bigger blame should be put on governments not lifting the railway's common carrier status until the early 1960s, forcing the railways to take on unprofitable loads when they should have been concentrating on bulk loads (as they did from the 1970s onwards).
  • Options
    I think of bjo at times like these, cant be easy to think about these things after his experience in Tunisia.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

No the Real Labour party has eacaped after decades of leaders trying to keep them hidden while welcoming their essential activism and votes. Saw exactly this in Lambeth and GLC in early 80s.
    The problem is Labour are damned if they do damned if they don't.

If they replace Corbyn then this will never be acceptable to a wide range of CLP's and their members despite what the PLP wishes to happen and a ground war ensures. Alternatively Corbyn remains and strengthens his grip and position within the party and there is a split. There is serious acrimony , threats and bricks through windows irrespective of either direction taken.

The real problem is that if Corbyn stays they are unelecttable. if Corbyn is removed then any other party just needs to keep pointing out that this party is always going to be a fag paper away from a similar takeover. Next time they could be in government and just like they are doing now at party level, change the rules ito ensure they can never be removed.

Labour are doomed either way. Ma Beckett and pals must have their head in their hands at these outcomes.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,325

And there will be rallies and vigils across France involving moslems and non-moslems.

This latest scumbag had been a common criminal, it turns out. I think the same is true of most (if not all) of the other Moslem attackers there have been in France. The link between crime, prison and radicalisation looks like an obvious place for the various law enforcement and security agencies to start, though they probably are already. But ultimately, the Moslem community has to police itself. If you do not actively tackle, report and condemn advocates of violence and murder you are complicit with them.

A comment was made to me some time ago that Belmarsh was virtually a madrassa.

Of course no one can police thought, or religion, or intent. But there are obvious places to start, and courses of action to take.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

From Nice.

Alas the situation is the equivalent of the US becoming an absolute monarchy under a royal family who are members of the Westboro Baptist Church and having spent the past 80 years propagating and funding the values of the Westboro baptist church throughout the world and turning it into a major strand of christianity with ever larger hordes of fanatical followers who believe the westboro baptist church to be a pure and uncorrupted christianity.

Small cult, my arse.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

MikeK said:
    I wasn't arguing to do nothing - hence the 'silly' prefix.
    Fair point, but there is never a good time for "silly" political points.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Just waking up to this. Absolutely horrifying. Whats more horrifying though is that unscrupulous politicians will use this as a stick to beat up on Muslims, thus adding to the pile of grievances that fuel this.

That would not be more horrifying, it woukd be a stupid and self defeating g response but not more horrifying.

The problem is that do nothing and these monsters still emerge, do something and they emerge. You crush them but lie a virus a few keep going and they find some new pretext and the idiots join them again. People still blame western actions post ww1 for this shit, which is bloody ridiculous. Such things and more recent actions fuel grievance, but these fools will always find something, and anyone who thinks it justifies their behaviour would have found something else to fuel their grievance.
  • Options

You do not defend liberty by crushing it. Sensible precautions at high-profile or large-scale public events such as in Nice, however, are a different matter.
    You can though take the sad decision to exclude from liberty those who decide to associate themselves with a dangerous cult.
  • Options

Which is my point, it appears that "white westerners" looking for solutions are not only clueless we appear to make it worse. The Muslim community, whatever or wherever it is, have to publicly state enough is enough and act accordingly. Until or unless they do they are open to accusations of complicity or sympathy.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Why does France face so many of these attacks? Or have the terrorists just got lucky there?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

That would not be more horrifying, it woukd be a stupid and self defeating g response but not more horrifying.

The problem is that do nothing and these monsters still emerge, do something and they emerge. You crush them but lie a virus a few keep going and they find some new pretext and the idiots join them again. People still blame western actions post ww1 for this shit, which is bloody ridiculous. Such things and more recent actions fuel grievance, but these fools will always find something, and anyone who thinks it justifies their behaviour would have found something else to fuel their grievance.
    Surely, the "something" that must be done is known. To ostracise Saudi Arabia and take out its entire royal family and senior clerics.

The problem is not that there is no answer to the problem, it's that the answer is not wanted by the West.
  • Options

From Nice.

The Nazis were beaten by all out war and then substantial post-war re-education and investment (at least in West Germany), not to mention partition. They also had an identifiable leadership and organisational structure.

It's also worth noting that the German people, including many who were active in the Nazi Party, were well aware of the shameful things that had been done in their name - or even by them - and consciously wanted to distance themselves from them as much as possible.

However, the problem with militant Islam is that there's no clean break on the scale down to individual secular practice. In the German case, had every Nazi been prosecuted, millions would have ended up behind bars or dead and there'd have been a lasting division and resentment (including towards those seen as having 'escaped'), but there was no need for that. It's all very well saying that we must shut down "delusional and violent cults" but what does that mean in practice? What counts as a "delusional and violent cult"?

To attack the freedom to practice religion within the law is as much an attack on our values as what took place in Nice. However, it's also the case that if there is sufficient sympathy or tolerance within a population for those who would subvert it then that population as a whole cannot stand. The toleration of intolerance is a mark of a civilised society and so it normally should be - it is usually better to have intolerant voices in the public domain both because it's easier to keep tabs on them and because they provide the warning of safety valves. But there also comes a point where the sheer scale of intolerance is incompatible with a civilised society. There is no easy place to draw the line but then simple solutions are for simple people - and simple people shouldn't be let near the levers of power.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited July 2016
    The truck driver reportedly had a criminal record but not any terror related convictions.

That doesn't quite tell if he was on a watchlist.

Given that police identified him quickly, there is no clear statement on the latter yet as far we can tell.

No claim through IS official channels yet either.
  • Options

From Nice.

It's also worth noting that the German people, including many who were active in the Nazi Party, were well aware of the shameful things that had been done in their name - or even by them - and consciously wanted to distance themselves from them as much as possible.

However, the problem with militant Islam is that there's no clean break on the scale down to individual secular practice. In the German case, had every Nazi been prosecuted, millions would have ended up behind bars or dead and there'd have been a lasting division and resentment (including towards those seen as having 'escaped'), but there was no need for that. It's all very well saying that we must shut down "delusional and violent cults" but what does that mean in practice? What counts as a "delusional and violent cult"?

To attack the freedom to practice religion within the law is as much an attack on our values as what took place in Nice. However, it's also the case that if there is sufficient sympathy or tolerance within a population for those who would subvert it then that population as a whole cannot stand. The toleration of intolerance is a mark of a civilised society and so it normally should be - it is usually better to have intolerant voices in the public domain both because it's easier to keep tabs on them and because they provide the warning of safety valves. But there also comes a point where the sheer scale of intolerance is incompatible with a civilised society. There is no easy place to draw the line but then simple solutions are for simple people - and simple people shouldn't be let near the levers of power.
    A powerful and depressing paragraph.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Why does France face so many of these attacks? Or have the terrorists just got lucky there?

It has a much bigger Moslem population that is very marginalised. There is a lot of history. One major issue seems to have been the secular French state has not been able to develop - up to now - ways of effectively policing and monitoring criminal acts rooted in religion.

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

' simple people shouldn't be let near the levers of power.'

So how did David Lammy become a minister?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited July 2016

Sean_F said:

It has a much bigger Moslem population that is very marginalised. There is a lot of history. One major issue seems to have been the secular French state has not been able to develop - up to now - ways of effectively policing and monitoring criminal acts rooted in religion.

Though the same could be said of parts of this country, eg East London, Luton, Bradford, Rochdale. Here in Luton, there are endless raids and arrests for terrorism. Perhaps a higher proportion of Muslims here are willing to tip off the authorities than in France, or perhaps it is just luck.
  • Options

You can though take the sad decision to exclude from liberty those who decide to associate themselves with a dangerous cult.
    Be specific. That proposal as you've written it could be taken to mean anything from an irrelevance to a gigantic internment of half or more of the population.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Surely, the "something" that must be done is known. To ostracise Saudi Arabia and take out its entire royal family and senior clerics.

The problem is not that there is no answer to the problem, it's that the answer is not wanted by the West.
    Yes, because creating chaos and political vacuums in the Middle East has worked so well, so far, hasn't it?!
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157

Border controls isn't "crushing liberty".

Border controls is protecting liberty within the country, by keeping out aliens who want to commit violence to "crush liberty".

Countries with strict border controls like Australia provide as much liberty for their own citizens as European countries.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Saw the beginnings of coverage last night, though at the time the death toll was only 30 (I think it's up to 84 confirmed now).

Terrible for France. They're still in the state of emergency imposed after the Bataclan[sp] attacks.

Mr. Observer, I think there might be a wider psychological reason (now) for attacking France. It's been hit with three attacks [grouping together the Hebdo and Bataclan incidents which had other terrorist attacks around or at the same time]. It's only a guess, but I do suspect the terrorists may be deliberately repeatedly targeting France to try and get a deeper impact on the people and politics.
  • Options
    vik said:

Border controls isn't "crushing liberty".

Border controls is protecting liberty within the country, by keeping out aliens who want to commit violence to "crush liberty".

Countries with strict border controls like Australia provide as much liberty for their own citizens as European countries.
    Firstly, border controls would have done nothing in this case. Those arguing for the closing down of Schengen are piggy-backing their own political agenda on an unrelated crime.

But you've also twisted the point. The original proposal from the laughably-named 'JennyFreeman' was "regional borders and road blocks. Mandatory passports. Routine searches." in addition to the international borders. Tell me that such police-state policies wouldn't be crushing of liberty (and the economy, for that matter).
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Though the same could be said of parts of this country, eg East London, Luton, Bradford, Rochdale. Here in Luton, there are endless raids and arrests for terrorism.
    France's Muslim population is double that of UK's, mainly Arab not South Asian in heritage, so anything happening in the Middle East and the Maghreb will cause more unrest. France is also very very different to the UK, due to the way it aggressively enforces secularism. For example the ban on the burka/niqab has been one of the leading causes of radicalisation of young Muslim men and women. Will McCants the terror/security expert produced a research paper on this very issue.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Yes, because creating chaos and political vacuums in the Middle East has worked so well, so far, hasn't it?!
    Iraq, Yemen, Libya and Syria are not funding terrorists which present a genuine threat to the West. Although all did in the past before they became chaotic, political vacuums. They may have become geographic hubs for ISIS and Al Qaeda but without the huge swathes of cash funding the groups, their ability to take over parts of these wastelands is lost.

It is the consolidated and stable Saudi Arabia which funds ISIS (and other terror groups) and I think it is unlikely that the NSA do not know exactly who it is in the Saudi regime who are the main players.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Iraq, Yemen, Libya and Syria are not funding terrorists which present a genuine threat to the West. Although all did in the past before they became chaotic, political vacuums. They may have become geographic hubs for ISIS and Al Qaeda but without the huge swathes of cash funding the groups, their ability to take over parts of these wastelands is lost.

It is the consolidated and stable Saudi Arabia which funds ISIS (and other terror groups) and I think it is unlikely that the NSA do not know exactly who it is in the Saudi regime who are the main players.
    I'm naive in all this, what does Saudi Arabia gain from funding ISIS?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

Good morning, everyone.

Saw the beginnings of coverage last night, though at the time the death toll was only 30 (I think it's up to 84 confirmed now).

Terrible for France. They're still in the state of emergency imposed after the Bataclan[sp] attacks.

Mr. Observer, I think there might be a wider psychological reason (now) for attacking France. It's been hit with three attacks [grouping together the Hebdo and Bataclan incidents which had other terrorist attacks around or at the same time]. It's only a guess, but I do suspect the terrorists may be deliberately repeatedly targeting France to try and get a deeper impact on the people and politics.

France is also of course the most aggressively secularist, indeed anti-religious, state in Europe since the collapse of the Communist regimes in the east. It was indeed the first explicitly atheist country in Europe, under the Revolutionary government of 1793-1804 (officially).

The anticlerical left, unlike in this country, also appears to have increasingly switched its attention to Islam from Catholicism in the last 25 years, meaning that there is already great tension that can be exploited.
  • Options
    Mr. Lowlander, and yet, removing the House of Saud could well lead to ISIS taking over that country.

ISIS in possession of Mecca would not be a positive step.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Rivière of blood.
    Horrific and predicted.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Wahhabism is core to the Saudi culture and its promotion (especially its promotion above other creeds of Islam) is fundamental to their stategic aims.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,592
    OT: Why does Theresa May have someone titled "Head of Features" in her team (source: Guido) - what do they do?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

The original proposal from the laughably-named 'JennyFreeman' was "regional borders and road blocks. Mandatory passports. Routine searches." in addition to the international borders. Tell me that such police-state policies wouldn't be crushing of liberty (and the economy, for that matter).

France had to get rid of substantial internal barriers in the nineteenth century precisely because they were throttling the economy.
  • Options

Mr. Lowlander, and yet, removing the House of Saud could well lead to ISIS taking over that country.

ISIS in possession of Mecca would not be a positive step.

ISIS can hold as much of the desert wastelands as they want. Without cash, it's meaningless. It is their level of funding which separates ISIS and Al Qaeda from any previous terror organisation and what makes them a genuine threat to the West.

There is no solution to this long term goal of the Saudis to promote Wahhabism and spread the poison throughout the world. I do not kid on for a second it will be easy or costless for the West to embark on this route. But there is literally no other option.

If you want to kill the snake, cut off its head.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Strong showing by the Lib Dems in last night's by-elections. Where else can the sensible anti-Tory go at the moment?
  • Options

Be specific. That proposal as you've written it could be taken to mean anything from an irrelevance to a gigantic internment of half or more of the population.
    You could posit that the root of it is Wahabbism and deal with Saudi in the way that we (western allies) dealt with Nazi Germany, in the years before and after 1945.

It might also be worth considering making Ahmadism the established Islamic faith in the UK and the only one permitted to organise.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Wahhabism is core to the Saudi culture and its promotion (especially its promotion above other creeds of Islam) is fundamental to their stategic aims.
    Such a complex situation, we trade with people that are trying to kill us.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    MattW said:

OT: Why does Theresa May have someone titled "Head of Features" in her team (source: Guido) - what do they do?

Features are what journos call the longer newspaper and magazine articles. So I suspect this person is responsible for these arranging these types of material.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Mental idea. The Saudi regime is undoubtedly awful, but our attempts at regime change have all resulted in worse outcomes.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Reward in heaven or so the Wahabbis think.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

They get religious backing for their corrupt state and lifestyles.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Reward in heaven or so the Wahabbis think.
    Leverage against Iran
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

And those trade agreements GUARANTEE that the West will not try to influence the Wahhabist creed in Saudi.

Adam Curtis "Bitter Lake" is far from his best work (sprawling, badly edited and far too long) but it's worth watching for some of the deeper background on just how much the US capitulated to the House of Saud after WW2.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Nice and Provence have had high levels of support for FN.

Awful news from Nice.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

What was it Lenin said about capitalists selling you the rope you hang them with?
  • Options
    Mr. Bedfordshire, that would see violence skyrocket. I appreciate the aim, but a state telling a religion what to do, especially when previously adherents have been indulged to the extent of having police protection for marches calling for 'Death to the West' will provoke more problems than it solves.

Mr. Lowlander, Mecca's the most important place in Islam and somewhere every healthy Muslim is expected to visit at least once during their life. It's not just some place in the desert [a desert, incidentally, still full of oil].
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

You could posit that the root of it is Wahabbism and deal with Saudi in the way that we (western allies) dealt with Nazi Germany, in the years before and after 1945.

It might also be worth considering making Ahmadism the established Islamic faith in the UK and the only one permitted to organise.
    Unless this sort of thing stops, the kinds of 'solutions' used by Ferdinand and Isabella or in the Reformation (to deal with Catholics) are going to become serious possibilities.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

That is as maybe but surely the lesson of Iraq and Libya (not Syria so much, which was an internally- rather than externally-collapsed state), is that failure to plan and execute a post-intervention strategy produced a worse outcome than doing nothing.

And leaving aside questions of legality, practicality and judgement, if we were to cut off the Saudi head (which would be a lot harder than you make it sound), who do you put in place to run things afterwards? If push came to shove, would you be prepared to station Western troops in Mecca? And how many billions would you be prepared to spend on the venture?
This discussion has been closed.