Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We are getting to a point where LEAVE could be the value be

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

First.... Lib Dems sometimes do come in first, you know!!!

Eight times as many as UKIP at GE2015 and six times as many in the 2016 locals.
    Also the LDs generally hold on in council by-election defences unlike UKIP which has only many scraped home in two of the nine defences since May last year.
    UKIP got one and a half times the votes though at GE2015
    UKIP´s weren´t being toxified by their assocation with the Tories.
    The LDs are no longer toxified and still trail UKIP in the polls
    But they win 5-8 times as many seats.

Almost all online polls overstating UKIP.

I doubt at the next election they will be winning 5-8 times as many seats as UKIP
    It will be infinity as UKIP wont win any at the next GE
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Betting Post

F1: eventually came up with a bet. We'll see how it goes. Race should be interesting*:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/monaco-pre-race-2016.html

*For Monaco.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    In the event of Leave UKIP will disappear, job done, in the event of Remain it will reinvent itself under a different name. As it stands it is skint, with no real structure and split into two camps. But that doesn't mean the country doesn't need a 3rd party, one will evolve in some shape or form.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

" How Hillary Loses - Donald Trump can actually win if Clinton makes these four mistakes. Spoiler alert: She’s already making all of them.

...So there you have it. Trump survives a Latino surge in the South and West; Clinton fails to bring home young voters in the Southeast and Midwest; Libertarians give Trump a foothold in the Northeast; the Rust Belt puts the nail in the coffin—and with somewhere between 274 and 325 electoral votes, Donald J. Trump becomes the 45th president of the United States. Yes, the specifics could vary. But it’s clear Trump can cross the 270 electoral-vote threshold even on the low end, with plenty of cushion on the high end to make up for a state that slips through his fingers here or there.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/2016-election-hillary-clinton-campaign-loses-defeated-donald-trump-213924#ixzz49y6w2bUJ

This analysis falls at the first hurdle.

Trump can't survive "a Latino surge in the South and West."

It implies Trump loses Nevada, Colorado and Florida. Even giving Trump Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina and New Hampshire leaves him at 254 and another even further away if Arizona falls to a Latino surge.

There's is nothing more dangerous to Trump than his Mexico wall.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

In the event of Leave UKIP will disappear, job done, in the event of Remain it will reinvent itself under a different name. As it stands it is skint, with no real structure and split into two camps. But that doesn't mean the country doesn't need a 3rd party, one will evolve in some shape or form.

They got £250k in donations last quarter IIRC.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As I said the Tories now do stand in Ulster anyway (you could also make a case Labour and the LDs do through their sister parties the SDLP and Alliance) but leaving that aside the point remains the Tories, the LDs, UKIP and Labour all stand in well over 90% of the UK, the SNP less than 10% of the UK on no plausible definition could a party which stands in less than 10% of a country ever be considered its third party!

Would you care for a shovel?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

As I said the Tories now do stand in Ulster anyway (you could also make a case Labour and the LDs do through their sister parties the SDLP and Alliance) but leaving that aside the point remains the Tories, the LDs, UKIP and Labour all stand in well over 90% of the UK, the SNP less than 10% of the UK on no plausible definition could a party which stands in less than 10% of a country ever be considered its third party!

Would you care for a shovel?

Well you clearly have run out of arguments, so I will leave it there
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2016

" How Hillary Loses - Donald Trump can actually win if Clinton makes these four mistakes. Spoiler alert: She’s already making all of them.

...So there you have it. Trump survives a Latino surge in the South and West; Clinton fails to bring home young voters in the Southeast and Midwest; Libertarians give Trump a foothold in the Northeast; the Rust Belt puts the nail in the coffin—and with somewhere between 274 and 325 electoral votes, Donald J. Trump becomes the 45th president of the United States. Yes, the specifics could vary. But it’s clear Trump can cross the 270 electoral-vote threshold even on the low end, with plenty of cushion on the high end to make up for a state that slips through his fingers here or there.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/2016-election-hillary-clinton-campaign-loses-defeated-donald-trump-213924#ixzz49y6w2bUJ

And Trump is energetic, unpredictable, clever, exciting, straight-talking, a master of the mind-f**k, who will create some momentum with a surprising but reassuring VP pick, whereas tired has-been Clinton will struggle on, ball-and-chained by her unsavoury history, in an election she thought was hers by right...
  • Options

It will keep the name, its brand already gives it 13% of the vote and plenty room to increase it after a close Remain vote
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

UKIP have more support than the Lib Dems overall, 24 MEP's to 1, 7 AM's to 1, 2 London Assembly members to 1.

But the Lib Dems have 8 MP's to 1, 2000 councillors to 500, and 5 MSP's to 0. So, I think the Lib Dems can still claim third party status, but there's not much in it.

Surely third party status belong to the SNP.

Not UK wide no, they have first party status in Scotland but are only 5th across the UK in voteshare (and all their MPs come from Scotland)
    Yes, I understand their MPs are clearly superior by dint of coming from Scotland but I don't understand how that helps your argument.
    They are Scotland's first party, the UK's fifth party
  • Options

Hillary could also pick a Hispanic VP like Castro and these state pick ups, a bare minimum of 5, effectively require Trump to run the table, only likely if he leads the popular vote
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

Also the LDs generally hold on in council by-election defences unlike UKIP which has only many scraped home in two of the nine defences since May last year.
    UKIP´s weren´t being toxified by their assocation with the Tories.
    The LDs are no longer toxified and still trail UKIP in the polls
    But they win 5-8 times as many seats.

Almost all online polls overstating UKIP.

I doubt at the next election they will be winning 5-8 times as many seats as UKIP
    It will be infinity as UKIP wont win any at the next GE
    They will most likely pick up Thanet South and Thurrock if Remain due to defections from Leave voters in the Tories and to a lesser extent Labour
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MP_SE said:

Leave stall by Britain First again in Leicester today, not being made welcome. Nice to see our Mayor taking the lead and working Saturday:

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/City-mayor-Peter-Soulsby-challenged-Britain/story-29331811-detail/story.html#ixzz49xczwsG6

https://twitter.com/DryWhit/status/736567249671233536

Is it a Leave stall or just a stall to promote Britain First? There is no mention of it being a Leave stall in the article or the article from when they previously turned up.
    It was a Leave stall, and campaigning for Brexit. I wuspect not one endorsed by the official Leave campaign.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Not UK wide no, they have first party status in Scotland but are only 5th across the UK in voteshare (and all their MPs come from Scotland)

With FPTP vote share is not directly relevant to party status. It doesn't matter where the MP's come from. Westminster is the UK parliament and you might recall a little referendum that secured that status.

I hold no candle for the Great Turnip Party but the SNP are clearly the third party of the UK and first party of Scotland.

Vote share at the 2015 General Election was

Con 36.9%
    Lab 30.4%
    UKIP 12.6%
    LibD 7.9%
    SNP 4.7%
    Green 3.8%

So the SNP were a poor fifth in the UK.

They gave the other parties a chance by only standing in 59 seats. Imagine what would happen if they stood UK wide?
    English voters are not going to vote for a Scottish nationalist party as the last election proved!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

UKIP have more support than the Lib Dems overall, 24 MEP's to 1, 7 AM's to 1, 2 London Assembly members to 1.

But the Lib Dems have 8 MP's to 1, 2000 councillors to 500, and 5 MSP's to 0. So, I think the Lib Dems can still claim third party status, but there's not much in it.
    UKIP came third in the 2013 county council elections (at least in the popular vote) and will be hoping to do even better next year. If they win the 2019 Euro elections again and increase their vote and win a handful more MPs in 2020 too I think they can then be confirmed as the third party
    UKIP will lose half their seats in next years CC elections including many to the Lib Dems , 3 in Eastleigh to start with .
    UKIP could double them and get nearly 30% of the vote
  • Options
    John Rentoul
    This week Theresa May overtook Henry Matthews (me neither) as longest-serving Home Sec since RA Cross (likewise) https://t.co/0zevHNlsmF

If she's still Home Secretary in February, she will be the 2nd longest-serving after Henry Addington, Viscount Sidmouth, 1812-22.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    Well this isn't good enough, there hasn't been a wicket for a good half hour.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,516
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

No they are not, to be the third party of the UK they would have to stand and win votes across the UK, they do not and have no intention to, they have not one MP south of Berwick. The SNP are a regional nationalist party who happen to have a large contingent of Scottish MPs to take to Westminster, they are not the UK's third party, they are Scotland's first party, there is a difference

By your logic at various times Labour and the Conservatives couldn't enjoy first or second party status in the UK because they didn't stand in Ulster and likewise the LibDems third party.

Frankly it doesn't matter where you stand in the UK. It's bums on seats for seats that count. A situation that is endorsed by the House of Commons where the SNP enjoy the status of the third party.

Scotland represents a little over 5% of the UK population so the SNP do not stand in 95% of the UK, a totally incomparable situation.
    I know the HYUFD red mist of stubborness has now descended wherein facts mean little, but it's actually 8.3%.
    I said a little over 5%, 8.3% really does little to change the argument!
    Underestimating a percentage of a total by almost 40% hardly adds to the veracity of an argument.
  • Options
    AFP
    #BREAKING Lightning strikes German football pitch, 35 injured, 3 seriously
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Miss Plato, earlier lightning struck a Parisian children's birthday party, also with serious injuries:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36405482
  • Options
    edited May 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

No they are not, to be the third party of the UK they would have to stand and win votes across the UK, they do not and have no intention to, they have not one MP south of Berwick. The SNP are a regional nationalist party who happen to have a large contingent of Scottish MPs to take to Westminster, they are not the UK's third party, they are Scotland's first party, there is a difference

By your logic at various times Labour and the Conservatives couldn't enjoy first or second party status in the UK because they didn't stand in Ulster and likewise the LibDems third party.

Frankly it doesn't matter where you stand in the UK. It's bums on seats for seats that count. A situation that is endorsed by the House of Commons where the SNP enjoy the status of the third party.

Scotland represents a little over 5% of the UK population so the SNP do not stand in 95% of the UK, a totally incomparable situation.
    I know the HYUFD red mist of stubborness has now descended wherein facts mean little, but it's actually 8.3%.
    I said a little over 5%, 8.3% really does little to change the argument!
    Underestimating a percentage of a total by almost 40% hardly adds to the veracity of an argument.
    I did not say 5%, I said 'a little over 5%.' When 8.3% still leaves 91.7% of the UK in which the SNP do not stand and when I also said they stand in less than 10% of the country as I said it does little to change the argument!
  • Options

AFP

Apparently a load of kids have been struck in Paris as well, with 6 seriously injured.
  • Options

They got £250k in donations last quarter IIRC.
    £ 187 K in 1st quarter 2016 compared to Lib Dems £ 747 K
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

And Trump is energetic, unpredictable, clever, exciting, straight-talking, a master of the mind-f**k, who will create some momentum with a surprising but reassuring VP pick, whereas tired has-been Clinton will struggle on, ball-and-chained by her unsavoury history, in an election she thought was hers by right...
    Historically it should be an election that is the Republicans by right after 8 years out of the White House, Trump ensures that is no certainty
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

UKIP came third in the 2013 county council elections (at least in the popular vote) and will be hoping to do even better next year. If they win the 2019 Euro elections again and increase their vote and win a handful more MPs in 2020 too I think they can then be confirmed as the third party
    UKIP will lose half their seats in next years CC elections including many to the Lib Dems , 3 in Eastleigh to start with .
    Dream On
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038

AFP

Apparently a load of kids have been struck in Paris as well, with 6 seriously injured.

Big storms right across Europe today, it looks like.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Well you clearly have run out of arguments, so I will leave it there

Probably wise on your behalf.

We're having difficulty in seeing you from the trench you dug. Oooppps .... where have you gone I can't see you any longer ....

ECHO .... ECHo .... ECho .... Echo

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Milliband

"Attacking Leave campaigners in his Remain speech, Mr Miliband said: "I think you see elements from the Leave campaign based on prejudice. "When Nigel Farage says on television to Peter Mandelson 'you are rubbing our noses in diversity', I think that's an offensive remark."

An offensive remark...prejudice? Huh?

It was you and your party that made the original remark and actually went out and did it in practice you utter fuckwit.

http://news.sky.com/story/1703571/miliband-flounders-as-he-fishes-for-youth-vote
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Tony Blair will not be accused of breaking laws in Iraq War inquiry

The report will not make any judgements on the legality or anything like that because it is not the purpose of the report, the source said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/28/tony-blair-will-not-be-accused-of-breaking-laws-in-iraq-war-inqu/

The old terms of reference get out....It is a good job the lady who reviewed the Rotherham child sex scandal didn't follow that approach, rather followed the evidence to the establish the whole truth.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well, we have had 20 years of governments secretly and not so secretly promoting mass immigration as a price worth paying (by the working class) to make the middle class richer. So let Corbyn have a go. I can't see anything wrong in killing buy to let investors off, it is immoral for rentiers to monopolise the bottom end of housing like they do. There isn't much wrong in higher tax rates. To paraphrase Nick Palmer - the middle class are too comfortable, too content, a bit of Corbyn class warfare will bring them into the real world. I think it is a necessary correction.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

With FPTP vote share is not directly relevant to party status. It doesn't matter where the MP's come from. Westminster is the UK parliament and you might recall a little referendum that secured that status.

I hold no candle for the Great Turnip Party but the SNP are clearly the third party of the UK and first party of Scotland.

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

I think you'll find they have a number of constituencies which are wholly or partially at lower latitudes than Berwick.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    PAW said:

Well, we have had 20 years of governments secretly and not so secretly promoting mass immigration as a price worth paying (by the working class) to make the middle class richer. So let Corbyn have a go. I can't see anything wrong in killing buy to let investors off, it is immoral for rentiers to monopolise the bottom end of housing like they do. There isn't much wrong in higher tax rates. To paraphrase Nick Palmer - the middle class are too comfortable, too content, a bit of Corbyn class warfare will bring them into the real world. I think it is a necessary correction.

And the overwhelming majority of us who aren't buy-to-let landlords? We just need to have our lives fucked up to add to the gaiety of the nation?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I just wish that Ali G would do a guide to the issues.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/736600166774542336
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Aussie 3rd umpire is on again...it really is like listening to fan watching the game...ohhhh yeeaahhhhh mate, lets rock n roll that one again...ohhhhhhh yeahhh...interesting...i better keep talking to keep the viewers entertained...if you are waiting for me to sing a song I not going to do it....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

Dream On
    With support from disgruntled Leave voters after a narrow Remain victory in its rural, coastal and market town heartlands entirely possible
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Crazy Bernie is doing a lot of Trump's spadework too.

I gather he's decided on Lyin' Liz for Warren.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT
    HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

No, they really are not. They are only won in the centre ground if you can keep your wing on board. If 20% of Tories, presumably those to the right of the party, peel off to the Kippers or stay at home, the Tories lose the next election. There might be more voters in the centre, but you are also competing with more parties for that vote.

Never going to happen. Anyone who votes UKIP may as well abstain.
    Can I quote you on that after a narrow Remain win ;)

If the rightmost fifth of the Tory voters stay at home, they still lose.
    Sure you can. I stand by my prediction that UKIP are more likely to win less seats next GE than they are to win more.
    Next to zero chance of that, if, as is most likely, the referendum is a narrow Remain I can see a result something like Tories 33%, Labour 31%, UKIP 17% in 2020. That would be a swing of 4% from Tory to UKIP and 2% from Labour to UKIP and would see them win Thurrock and Thanet South and come close in Hartlepool and Boston
    "I don't agree" doesn't mean there is next to zero chance. There is a very real chance that UKIP will win zero seats at the next General Election. A lot of things point that way:

1: UKIP have NEVER won a seat at a General Election not being contested by an incumbent.
    2: Their only incumbent looks distinctly unimpressed with the parties direction.
    3: As do many other party members who are not the leader.
    4: The party has no loyalty/career/better devil factor to tie people to the party despite not liking its direction unlike the Tories.
    5: The party has to many served its purpose already.

The fact you optimistically can see a result of 17% does not mean that's the only possible result. It could just as easily be 3% or 7% or 12%.
  • Options
    BTW for PBers new to US elections the site below is a very simple tool for building your own electoral college :

http://www.270towin.com/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

I think you'll find they have a number of constituencies which are wholly or partially at lower latitudes than Berwick.
    All in Scotland, the SNP are a Scottish Party not a UK Party and have no intention of being anything other than Scotland's Party in the UK Parliament, UKIP are a party fighting to win across the UK (the clue is in the titles!)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The dirty little secret of what is in many professional sportsmen kit bags...non-slip socks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/28/trusox-inside-the-secret-british-sports-brand-worn-by-gareth-bal/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

Dream On
    With support from disgruntled Leave voters after a narrow Remain victory in its rural, coastal and market town heartlands entirely possible
    102 UKIP MPs?

Now where did I hear that before?

On topic, I have long thought the value bet is on Leave. I have a decent sum on at 4.8 average. The odds on Remain under 45% are even better. My plan was to go all Green as the odds narrowed, but sadly they have been stubbonly resistant to budging.
  • Options
    All publicly funded scientific papers published in Europe could be made free to access by 2020, under a “life-changing” reform ordered by the European Union’s science chief, Carlos Moedas.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/28/eu-ministers-2020-target-free-access-scientific-papers
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

AFP

Big storms right across Europe today, it looks like.

Yup...the weather is also pretty bad.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

All in Scotland, the SNP are a Scottish Party not a UK Party and have no intention of being anything other than Scotland's Party in the UK Parliament, UKIP are a party fighting to win across the UK (the clue is in the titles!)
    But they are third in the UK Parliament, which is what actually counts.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

PClipp said:

The sudden conversion of LibDems to FPTP has illustrated that they are without principle.

Their complete betrayal of their pledge to abolish tuition fees, after being elected on exactly that pledge, illustrates the same.

The removal of the Lib Dems at GE2015 was a necessary bit of electoral hygiene.

UKIP, for all their many faults, at least stand for something and have the scars to prove it.

BTW, the last time the Liberals won a national election was 1908. UKIP did it in 2014.
    We did not have an election in 1908!
  • Options

FPT

HYUFD said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

No, they really are not. They are only won in the centre ground if you can keep your wing on board. If 20% of Tories, presumably those to the right of the party, peel off to the Kippers or stay at home, the Tories lose the next election. There might be more voters in the centre, but you are also competing with more parties for that vote.

Never going to happen. Anyone who votes UKIP may as well abstain.
    Can I quote you on that after a narrow Remain win ;)

If the rightmost fifth of the Tory voters stay at home, they still lose.
    Sure you can. I stand by my prediction that UKIP are more likely to win less seats next GE than they are to win more.
    Next to zero chance of that, if, as is most likely, the referendum is a narrow Remain I can see a result something like Tories 33%, Labour 31%, UKIP 17% in 2020. That would be a swing of 4% from Tory to UKIP and 2% from Labour to UKIP and would see them win Thurrock and Thanet South and come close in Hartlepool and Boston
    "I don't agree" doesn't mean there is next to zero chance. There is a very real chance that UKIP will win zero seats at the next General Election. A lot of things point that way:

1: UKIP have NEVER won a seat at a General Election not being contested by an incumbent.
    2: Their only incumbent looks distinctly unimpressed with the parties direction.
    3: As do many other party members who are not the leader.
    4: The party has no loyalty/career/better devil factor to tie people to the party despite not liking its direction unlike the Tories.
    5: The party has to many served its purpose already.

The fact you optimistically can see a result of 17% does not mean that's the only possible result. It could just as easily be 3% or 7% or 12%.
    1. They already have an incumbent who won a comfortable majority at the last election
    2. He is even more unimpressed with Cameron and Osborne
    3. Not half as much as Tory members are not happy with their leadership
    4. The party has an anti EU core which will be pivotal in attracting disgruntled Leave voters if Remain do narrowly win
    5. Only to the extent it has forced a referendum, if that Referendum is seen as lost by establishment dirty tricks the party is needed even more as a protest and to keep the flame of EU independence alive

Given the Tories will be seen as the establishment party in 2020 and Labour will likely be led by an ineffective leftwinger, UKIP will be the main party of protest so I believe I higher total than 2015 very plausible
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

They are third only because of Scottish MPs, they have not one MP outside of Scotland and were 5th in UK voteshare which is what really counts, they are the first party of Scotland at Westminster, the fifth party of the UK
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps not if the UK votes Remain!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

Dream On
    102 UKIP MPs?

On topic, I have long thought the value bet is on Leave. I have a decent sum on at 4.8 average. The odds on Remain under 45% are even better. My plan was to go all Green as the odds narrowed, but sadly they have been stubbonly resistant to budging.
    I never said they would get 102, 3 to 5 is more likely but that would at least be treble their present score. The key difference in 2015 to 2020 is that anti EU voters had to vote Tory to get the referendum, if the referendum is lost because of the Tory leadership they will have no qualms about voting UKIP in 2020 to maximise the pressure for another referendum
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Has there been polling on the hypothetical "if the UK votes leave how would you vote in a second indy ref"/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

They are third only because of Scottish MPs, they have not one MP outside of Scotland and were 5th in UK voteshare which is what really counts, they are the first party of Scotland at Westminster, the fifth party of the UK
    They are also the third party at Westminster.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Wanderer - plenty of working class people have had their lives turned to crap by the middle class - Mr Fox doesn't hide his satisfaction about it - he is doing an Emily Thornberry below. Look at how many comments say that a private education shouldn't be held against a man, but what about a crap education from a comprehensive? For 45 years I voted conservative, last year I found I couldn't vote for Tomlisson, and now I won't vote conservative again. I think Corbyn will shake things up.
  • Options

All publicly funded scientific papers published in Europe could be made free to access by 2020, under a “life-changing” reform ordered by the European Union’s science chief, Carlos Moedas.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/28/eu-ministers-2020-target-free-access-scientific-papers

How do you deal with a situation where a study was part publicly funded? It's somewhat moot (not surprising for the EU) given the popularity of arXiv, at least in some sciences.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

How do you deal with a situation where a study was part publicly funded? It's somewhat moot (not surprising for the EU) given the popularity of arXiv, at least in some sciences.
    From the article, I believe they are saying basically any public money involved, it must be freely available.

It is going seriously kill the business model of big providers of these libraries / journals. Google will be happy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Only because of Scottish MPs, they are fifth in UK voteshare and do not have an MP in 91% of the UK
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Has there been polling on the hypothetical "if the UK votes leave how would you vote in a second indy ref"/
    Not sure about that. I was thinking more in terms of the decreasing importance of Westminster.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not according to our resident JCB operative.

Apparently it only counts if you stand in all parts of the UK regardless of how many seats you get. All bow before Douglas Carswell - newly appointed "Third Party of the UK" .... That'll please Nigel .... :smile:

Someone better tell Bercow too. The poor sod seems to think it might be several dozen Scots who probably just pop down to Westminster for lessons on extra-curricula rumpy pumpy .... they're doing quite well at it too ....

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-scots-would-vote-for-independence-if-uk-votes-for-brexit-1-4066136
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scots-majority-oppose-second-indyref-8025005#k4pEKb39PkTzUfae.99
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,516
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

'Third, it appears that a Leave vote in the EU referendum could indeed tilt the balance in any second ballot on independence. For when Panelbase asked their Scottish respondents how they would vote if a majority across the UK as a whole were to vote to Leave, 52% said they would vote Yes, 48% No. In particular, whereas at the moment 49% of Remain voters would vote No to independence, that figure falls to 39% in the wake of a UK vote to Leave. So whereas a ballot held now would probably see the decision on independence made in September 2014 (narrowly) reaffirmed, a ballot held in the wake of a Leave vote might produce a majority vote for independence.'

http://tinyurl.com/zz56h9q

• Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Only because of Scottish MPs, they are fifth in UK voteshare and do not have an MP in 91% of the UK
    As opposed to UKIP who do not have an MP in 99.85% of the UK?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

'Third, it appears that a Leave vote in the EU referendum could indeed tilt the balance in any second ballot on independence. For when Panelbase asked their Scottish respondents how they would vote if a majority across the UK as a whole were to vote to Leave, 52% said they would vote Yes, 48% No. In particular, whereas at the moment 49% of Remain voters would vote No to independence, that figure falls to 39% in the wake of a UK vote to Leave. So whereas a ballot held now would probably see the decision on independence made in September 2014 (narrowly) reaffirmed, a ballot held in the wake of a Leave vote might produce a majority vote for independence.'

Just the one poll? Striking difference though.
  • Options

Do that include territorial waters around Clacton starting from the novelty rock emporium on the pier?

• Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

UKIP first in Clacton!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Of course it is also possible the UK votes Remain but England votes Leave
  • Options
    PAW said:

Wanderer - plenty of working class people have had their lives turned to crap by the middle class - Mr Fox doesn't hide his satisfaction about it - he is doing an Emily Thornberry below. Look at how many comments say that a private education shouldn't be held against a man, but what about a crap education from a comprehensive? For 45 years I voted conservative, last year I found I couldn't vote for Tomlisson, and now I won't vote conservative again. I think Corbyn will shake things up.

Cheering the good citizens of Leicester opposing the thugs of Britain First is not being snooty about the working class.

I should also point out that my education was entirely in state comprehensives. If you are looking for some champagne socialist set, then you are looking in the wrong place
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Yet they are the third party in the majority of the UK by voteshare
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks.

That polling should help boost Leave in England.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

Dream On
    102 UKIP MPs?

I never said they would get 102, 3 to 5 is more likely but that would at least be treble their present score. The key difference in 2015 to 2020 is that anti EU voters had to vote Tory to get the referendum, if the referendum is lost because of the Tory leadership they will have no qualms about voting UKIP in 2020 to maximise the pressure for another referendum
    It was MikeK's prediction of 102.

I predicted 2 UKIP MPs last time around, though did well betting in UKIP target seats by backing the opponent.

I think that UKIP will struggle to get more than the odd seat under FPTP. There are simply not enough votes in the policies that they favour.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That is going to make England a touch difficult to govern, Mr Cameron.... Scotland, Wales and NI can pay our membership subs.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks.

That polling should help boost Leave in England.
    Given the amount of times the SNP have said there'd be a second indy ref if there was a leave vote, I suspect it is somewhat priced in.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

Probably at least a 50% chance that they lose that record (That they've only just gained) at the next election.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

Dream On
    102 UKIP MPs?

On topic, I have long thought the value bet is on Leave. I have a decent sum on at 4.8 average. The odds on Remain under 45% are even bette
    It was MikeK's prediction of 102.

I predicted 2 UKIP MPs last time around, though did well betting in UKIP target seats by backing the opponent.

I think that UKIP will struggle to get more than the odd seat under FPTP. There are simply not enough votes in the policies that they favour.
    If Leave fail to win but win 45%+ of the vote that is a very large pool of voters for their core platform, even if only 40% of them vote UKIP that is still 18%
  • Options

PAW said:

Cheering the good citizens of Leicester opposing the thugs of Britain First is not being snooty about the working class.

I should also point out that my education was entirely in state comprehensives. If you are looking for some champagne socialist set, then you are looking in the wrong place
    Right-wingers who affect a concern for what they call the "WWC" tend to subject working class people to the tyranny of low expectations and imagine that to be working class is to be a bovine racist, so they think opposing bovine racism is opposing the working class.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That is going to make England a touch difficult to govern, Mr Cameron.... Scotland, Wales and NI can pay our membership subs.
    Yes, that would certainly be curtains for Cameron
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

Probably at least a 50% chance that they lose that record (That they've only just gained) at the next election.
    As it shows they are the third party in the UK and I cannot see the pro EU LDs overtaking them after the referendum
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hull Tigers City promoted...
  • Options
    @HYUFD

If Leave loses many will accept that democratic verdict, just as I would accept it should it go the other way.

In a General Election a lot of other issues will come into it, not just the EU and immigration, but we shall see. I still think that May 2014 was the highwater mark of peak kipper.

Of course events may change that, but my hunch is not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

As it shows they are the third party in the UK and I cannot see the pro EU LDs overtaking them after the referendum
    Except they're not third party by MPs. They're not even fourth, fifth or sixth. They're not even seventh or eighth. They aren't even ninth.

The fact you can't see the LDs overtaking UKIP doesn't mean it's impossible. They're already well ahead of them in both MPs and fundraising.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,906

Hull Tigers City promoted...

East coast of Yorkshire to have a Premiership derby next season then.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

@HYUFD

If Leave loses many will accept that democratic verdict, just as I would accept it should it go the other way.

In a General Election a lot of other issues will come into it, not just the EU and immigration, but we shall see. I still think that May 2014 was the highwater mark of peak kipper.

Scotland showed precisely the opposite, even if UKIP do not see anything like the boost the SNP got, if they got the boost the LDs got in 2005 after Iraq that would still force a hung parliament
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@HYUFD

Scotland showed precisely the opposite, even if UKIP do not see anything like the boost the SNP got, if they got the boost the LDs got in 2005 after Iraq that would still force a hung parliament
    No it would not.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,906

HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

You think that they'll overtake either Labour or the Conservatives?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Wanderer said:

PAW said:

Right-wingers who affect a concern for what they call the "WWC" tend to subject working class people to the tyranny of low expectations and imagine that to be working class is to be a bovine racist, so they think opposing bovine racism is opposing the working class.
    Bovine racism;
    https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_de_races_bovines
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

No I think they'll fall (even further) behind the fourth placed Lib Dems.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

PAW said:

Bovine racism;
    Imagine how you'd feel if you were a Charolais and someone posted that.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

PAW said:

Bovine racism;
    At least with ovine racism, we could make black sheep jokes :wink:
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,135
    As discussed earlier in the thread, the Tories do indeed stand in Northern Ireland.

They even got close to the psychologically-important 0.1 per cent threshold in Belfast West, though they didn't quite get there in the end.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    JackW said:

BTW for PBers new to US elections the site below is a very simple tool for building your own electoral college :

http://www.270towin.com/

Try http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/ also
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD

No it would not.
    Yes it would if Labour win a few seats because of Tory Leavers switching to UKIP even if their vote is static much as the Tories won a few seats in 2005 because of Labour voters switching to the LDs over Iraq
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

UKIP were 5% ahead of the LDs in the popular vote at the last election
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    JackW said:

1. Was I supposed to have missed Mike's enthusiastic endorsement of the 'super-encumbency' theory?
    2. The Lib Dems certainly ended up in the coalition Government, the only way they were ever going to be in government. The abandoned their flagship policy. They did the exact opposite.
    3. You're right, it was 1906. I was far too generous to the Liberals. My bad.

What you were supposed to have done was :

1. Accurately reflect Mike's comment and not place your prejudices upon it.
    2. Understand that the 2010-15 Coalition was what it said on the tin. Not a LibDem government.
    3. Reflect that you being "generous" to the Liberals is a contradiction in terms.

1. Yeah, and just ignore all his threads before GE2015. That sort of "prejudice".
    2. I think the British people showed exactly what they thought of the Lib Dems at GE2015. A coalition does not absolve a party from its manifesto commitments.
    3. Decreasing the time since winning an election is being generous.

And as we are being petty;it's 'your being'. It is being used as a gerund in this case.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

Yes despite that they still ended up in 10th place.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which matters how?

Yes despite that they still ended up in 10th place.
    No they ended up in third place in the popular vote
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Surely third party status belong to the SNP.

LOL , 8 beats 56 , counting lessons needed methinks.
    I never said the LDs were third, UKIP were third in voteshare in 2015 on 12.7%, the LDs were fourth on 7.9% and the SNP fifth on 4.7%
    It is MP's that count , no matter how many votes they have
  • Options
    nathannathan Posts: 1
    does anybody know of a bookie or betting house that will take a bet for obama have a 3rd term??? please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.