Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After the latest Trump-Cruz blow-up David Herdson suggests

Comments

• Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    Pulpstar said:

LondonBob said:

Pulpstar said:

"She almost always gets less votes than Trump"

Lets fact check this.

True except in:

Iowa
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    American Samoa
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    Georgia
    Massachusetts
    Minnesota
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Virginia
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Michigan
    Florida
    Illinois
    North Carolina

Caucuses and primaries cannot be compared, and you have to control for the crowded field.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/19/471102628/yes-clintons-gotten-the-most-votes-but-gop-has-more-overall
    "She has less votes than Trump" is just factually incorrect though !

After Rubio has dropped out, Trump has beaten her every contest, mind.
    I knew y'all were smart enough to understand the nuances, such as HRC piling up black votes in the deep south is pretty meaningless. Ohio, Florida and New Hampshire are interesting ones to look at. Pennsylvania should be a pointer to the likely outcome in that state.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    More on that dirtybomb story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/12204863/Brussels-terror-attacks-nuclear-isil-suspects-victims-latest.html
    This disturbing development, revealed by the newspaper Derniere Heure on Saturday and not yet confirmed by officials, follows concerns that the Brussels bombers wanted to build a radioactive dirty bomb — but apparently shelved the plan after security was stepped up at Belgium’s nuclear plants following intelligence warnings.

The security officer was murdered on Thursday evening as he walked his dog in the city of Charleroi, but news of the killing only emerged on Saturday. His pass was quickly cancelled, according to officials.

Investigators are exploring a theory that the man, who has not been named, was killed to steal his pass and gain access to a nuclear facility. Nuclear power plants are known to be targets for the terror network behind the Brussels bombings and the Paris attacks in November.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

If it comes to a contested convention it's numbers that will matter.

To a degree. Mandate and perceptions will also matter, not least with the delegates themselves, who'll be thinking ahead to November and how fixing the convention will play out with the public.

But - if Trump doesn't win outright then he has a fight on his hands. Much like Britain shrugs off UKIP winning one seat with 13% of the vote while the SNP get 56 off 5%, so the Americans accept their system.

There is a reason why the convention is a backstop selection process and why candidates need a majority of delegates, namely that a lot happens between Iowa and Cleveland, and if a clear choice hasn't been made, for whatever reason, then delegates should have the chance to consider what might not have been known back in February.

Trump might be the most popular GOP contender with Republican primary voters but he's (1) not more popular than the rest put together, and (2) *less* popular than any other contender vs Hillary. Both are legitimate reasons for passing over him.

He would of course scream blue murder if it's tried and if he is very close to 1237 then he may well be seen to have a point (for that matter, if he is very close to 1237 then he ought to pick up the difference anyway). But what's seen as legitimate is a matter of perception, and perception is a matter of debate. Undoubtedly, a 'stolen' nomination would set the GOP's campaign off to a bad start but that could be recoverable. Indeed, that may have to be exactly the calculation delegates will need to make.
    I think that Trump will win a convention that is only technically contested where he is within touching distance. However, the definition of "touching distance" is quite important. At what point would Trump be so far off 1237 that we enter a full-on brokered convention with multiple ballots (a scenario in which I think his support would ebb away and he'd lose).

Is 1200 an important number psychologically or does he need it to be closer?

As to how it would be perceived, it strikes me that American culture is far less accepting of the idea of the moral victor who didn't actually win.

Will be some serious drama if it actually happens. If. More likely he is over the line or very close to it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I know two people who credit surviving awful car accidents with not having their seatbelt fastened at the time.

Well my Grandfather spent a couple of months on the Somme as an infantryman without a scratch. It doesn't mean that it wasn't dangerous!
    Indeed. The trenches were infested with lice, for a start. They'd have made him scratch. One of Winston Churchill's big hits was his anti-lice campaign.
  • Options
    Lice being the background to the expression 'feeling lousy'

I know two people who credit surviving awful car accidents with not having their seatbelt fastened at the time.

Well my Grandfather spent a couple of months on the Somme as an infantryman without a scratch. It doesn't mean that it wasn't dangerous!
    Indeed. The trenches were infested with lice, for a start. They'd have made him scratch. One of Winston Churchill's big hits was his anti-lice campaign.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    LondonBob said:

Pulpstar said:

LondonBob said:

Pulpstar said:

Lets fact check this.

True except in:

Iowa
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    American Samoa
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    Georgia
    Massachusetts
    Minnesota
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Virginia
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Michigan
    Florida
    Illinois
    North Carolina

Caucuses and primaries cannot be compared, and you have to control for the crowded field.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/19/471102628/yes-clintons-gotten-the-most-votes-but-gop-has-more-overall

I knew y'all were smart enough to understand the nuances, such as HRC piling up black votes in the deep south is pretty meaningless. Ohio, Florida and New Hampshire are interesting ones to look at. Pennsylvania should be a pointer to the likely outcome in that state.
    Yes of course I understand the nuances. I hold no desire to see Hillary win, but just can't abide factually incorrect statements.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966

Anyone else think that the police across europe should be focusing on catching terrorists?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14382402.Hundreds_of_motorists_pulled_over_in_seat_belt_crackdown/

"The week of action was to part the first Tispol (European Traffic Police Network) seatbelt enforcement campaign of the year, and officers all over Europe carried out co-ordinated checks. "

Many will be focussed on catching terrorists. Police forces should be able to have more than one thing on at a time

I bet many times more people in the EU will die this year from not wearing seatbelts, of by others who are not wearing seatbelts, than will be killed by terrorists.

But what does that matter if it get in the way of just another mindless bash-the-EU comment.
    It is not even an EU initiative. TISPOL is a UK registered public limited company set up by various European police forces to coordinate traffic policing matters. Whilst it gets funding from the EU it is not an EU body, includes non EU members (Norway) and does not include all EU members.

Using what seems to be a very worthwhile initiative as a means of bashing the EU when it is not even an EU body seems rather short sighted.
    Traffic policing body is helping enforce traffic laws (rather than terrorism laws) seems about as shocking as finding out a bear has shat in the woods.
    Yarp.
    Is that the noise a bear makes when shitting in the woods?
    Narp?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    LondonBob said:

Pulpstar said:

LondonBob said:

Pulpstar said:

Lets fact check this.

True except in:

Iowa
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    American Samoa
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    Georgia
    Massachusetts
    Minnesota
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Virginia
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Michigan
    Florida
    Illinois
    North Carolina

Hillary could win North Carolina and Virginia though so in those 2 states the black vote could be significant
  • Options

And those bloody awful songs that have the word "whoops" in the title
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Pubgoer, what else would one sing when Mrs Miggins has sat on your artichokes?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016

More on that dirtybomb story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/12204863/Brussels-terror-attacks-nuclear-isil-suspects-victims-latest.html

This disturbing development, revealed by the newspaper Derniere Heure on Saturday and not yet confirmed by officials, follows concerns that the Brussels bombers wanted to build a radioactive dirty bomb — but apparently shelved the plan after security was stepped up at Belgium’s nuclear plants following intelligence warnings.

The security officer was murdered on Thursday evening as he walked his dog in the city of Charleroi, but news of the killing only emerged on Saturday. His pass was quickly cancelled, according to officials.

Investigators are exploring a theory that the man, who has not been named, was killed to steal his pass and gain access to a nuclear facility. Nuclear power plants are known to be targets for the terror network behind the Brussels bombings and the Paris attacks in November.
    Is there not a bit of a logic flaw in this story in terms of the guy being murdered? I presume as soon as the bombs hit early in the week that security got stepped up, as authorities knew nuclear power stations have been targets, so why murder the guy if you have shelved the plan?

TBH, I would have thought that murdering somebody for these pass, unless you aim to go straight away to the station, wouldn't be a huge amount of use. I don't think at power plants they have the attitude of anybody seen Bob today, no, has he called in sick, no, strange, well never mind....Also, surely you would be better kidnapping them and their families, than murdering them as they walk their dog...again if the plod find the body, I would think (well hope) they would be onto the nuclear power station straight away.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

ydoethur said:

I am a little unsettled by the anti-Trump meme from the lefties. Stopping the most popular candidate winning elections is a step on the road to becoming Syria.

Embrace the Trump

Welcome to PB, Conservative Boy. Good to see the spirit of Harry Enfield is still alive and well :wink:

Trouble is, we don't know that Trump is popular. If he isn't he'll lose anyway. At the moment, you've got the more centrist people agonising that he'll throw away the election to a dud candidate (Clinton). The lefties appear to be quite happy with the thought of those two slugging it out.

The candidate Trump resembles is Corbyn. I don't somehow think that either will prove the next Tsipras. Neither we nor the Americans are in the desperate straits as Greece - at least, not yet.

Edit - my autocorrect made 'Trump' into Trumpet. There could be a pun on Trumpet's Crumpet there given the stories about Cruz and Trump's undoubtedly colourful sex life! No charge TSE.
    Thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately the funniest comedians do tend to be left wing.

I disagree with your point. What Trump says and stands for is unpalatable for some but he does stand for American aspiration. That aspiration is threatened and I think he will be more popular in voting booths than polls suggest (I have no idea if this has already happened in the primaries). The "shy Trump" factor could swing it for him.

I personally believe there will be a one term Trump presidency where he sets the future tone for America followed by a more moderate Republican to follow through his work.
    If Trump wins he will definitely run for re-election, if he loses the GOP will likely pick an even more conservative candidate in 2020
  • Options
    Labour Paul
    Don't forget clocks spring forward tonight, unless you're on 'Labour Party Forum' where they turn back to 1973.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    edited March 2016

Is there not a bit of a logic flaw in this story in terms of the guy being murdered? I presume as soon as the bombs hit early in the week that security got stepped up, as authorities knew nuclear power stations have been targets, so why murder the guy if you have shelved the plan?

TBH, I would have thought that murdering somebody for these pass, unless you aim to go straight away to the station, wouldn't be a huge amount of use. I don't think at power plants they have the attitude of anybody seen Bob today, no, has he called in sick, no, strange, well never mind....

Some potential, but unlikely, options:
    *) Get hold of a pass to see what format they are in, and what security measures they include. Then roll your own, even if it only looks right.

*) Cause them to issue new passes, which will allow a person on the inside to create fake ones (or divert them). Even more unlikely as it means there is someone on the inside.

*) Just cause chaos and spread alarm.
  • Options
    Also, what would the aim of getting into a nuclear station site be? Drive a big bomb in to the waste fuel area? Cause a meltdown event?

Both of these might be rather difficult ...
  • Options
    edited March 2016

TBH, I would have thought that murdering somebody for these pass, unless you aim to go straight away to the station, wouldn't be a huge amount of use. I don't think at power plants they have the attitude of anybody seen Bob today, no, has he called in sick, no, strange, well never mind....
    *) Get hold of a pass to see what format they are in, and what security measures they include. Then roll your own, even if it only looks right.

*) Cause them to issue new passes, which will allow a person on the inside to create fake ones (or divert them). Even more unlikely as it means there is someone on the inside.

I am sort of get on board with that logic...but murdering somebody sets off alarm bells. I would have thought it would be easier to either steal one (especially if you steal temporarily) and/or comprise an employee in some way.

The Panorama programme suggested that the reason that many of the people doing the bombings have been used are that a) they have EU passports, but b) (and this is important) they are career criminals so they know how to go about getting illegal stuff in their home country.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

I've never worn the belt since the law came in, in 1983. I know that I am a better driver as a result, and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident.
  • Options

I am sort of get on board with that logic...but murdering somebody sets off alarm bells. I would have thought it would be easier to either steal one (especially if you steal temporarily) and/or comprise an employee in some way.

The Panorama programme suggested that the reason that many of the people doing the bombings have been used are that a) they have EU passports, but b) (and this is important) they are career criminals so they know how to go about getting illegal stuff in their home country.
    That's why I think the third is the most likely explanation.

If you wanted dangerous nuclear material, you just need to go to any large hospital ...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Also, what would the aim of getting into a nuclear station site be? Drive a big bomb in to the waste fuel area? Cause a meltdown event?

To steal the ingredients to build a so-called dirty bomb. Nick any radioactive (waste) material you can find then pack it round a conventional bomb in order to cover a wide area with radioactive material, so it becomes uninhabitable. A weapon of mass disruption, as the wags have it.
  • Options
    In 2014 there were 847 deaths in private and commercial (vans). Also 80 other vehicles (buses and coaches). I cannot find a breakdown in the 2009 seatbelt claim of 370 but does it include buses and coaches? Of the 847 deaths, circa 200 of the deaths are estimated to be due to drunk driving.

The RAC reported that in 2014 "98.2 per cent of car drivers were observed using seat belts in England and Scotland."

FYI Breaking a speed limit is cause of just 5% of all road deaths.
  • Options

To steal the ingredients to build a so-called dirty bomb. Nick any radioactive (waste) material you can find then pack it round a conventional bomb in order to cover a wide area with radioactive material, so it becomes uninhabitable. A weapon of mass disruption, as the wags have it.
    Yes, I know. The problem is that nuclear reactors might not be the best place to get nuclear material in handy containers. It'd be in reactors, containers in storage ponds, or massive flasks ready to be transported.

If you went for the latter, you'd be better off attacking en route.

There are much better places to get radiological material.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    11:57 GMT
    A suspicious package has prompted evacuation in Schaerbeek area of Brussels, Belgian media reported.

“Someone threw a backpack inside the tram …and fled,” police told RTL Belgium, adding that trams in the area were halted.

A helicopter has been seen patrolling above the area.
    https://twitter.com/rtlinfo/status/713691739186397185
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    This seat belts v terrorist thing, how does it compare with those killed by dogs I wonder.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    RodCrosby said:

I've never worn the belt since the law came in, in 1983. I know that I am a better driver as a result, and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident.
    You THINK you're a better driver, which isn't the same thing. But not unusual most people when asked claim to be good or above average drivers.

• Options
    I deployed an airbag on this whole discussion hours ago.

This seat belts v terrorist thing, how does it compare with those killed by dogs I wonder.

• Options
    Mr. 63, got to also include the good work of dogs. There aren't many mountain rescue terrorists, or guide seat belts.
  • Options

Mr. 63, got to also include the good work of dogs. There aren't many mountain rescue terrorists, or guide seat belts.

Brilliant!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    RodCrosby said:

Wouldn't you feel a bit miffed if a 'bad' driver drove into you and pinged you through your own windscreen?
  • Options
    As for radiological dangers, it is worth remembering this particular madness:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4725686.stm

Very, very lucky.
  • Options

Yes, I know. The problem is that nuclear reactors might not be the best place to get nuclear material in handy containers. It'd be in reactors, containers in storage ponds, or massive flasks ready to be transported.

If you went for the latter, you'd be better off attacking en route.

There are much better places to get radiological material.
    Sounds a bit too much like an episode of 24...tick tick tick...hour 22...the Islamic terrorists have seized radioactive material and are currently trying to construct a dirty bomb in the back of a van speeding into downtown Brussels...can Jack Bower get there before they finish making it.

I would agree much more likely an attack on nuclear power station is to cause damage to the power station. For a dirty bomb, there are other options.
  • Options
    I've been prosecuted for speeding, talking on a mobile and not wearing a seat belt. To the best of my knowledge none of my dogs have eaten anybody and I've never knowingly committed an act of terrorism.

I guess I'm just unlucky.
  • Options
    saddened said:

RodCrosby said:

You THINK you're a better driver, which isn't the same thing. But not unusual most people when asked claim to be good or above average drivers.

No, I know I'm a better driver, because I understand the concept of risk compensation.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I don't know how Rod copes with that horrible bleeping noise that bullies you to put your seat belt on

RodCrosby said:

Wouldn't you feel a bit miffed if a 'bad' driver drove into you and pinged you through your own windscreen?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    saddened said:

RodCrosby said:

Apparently 99% of all drivers are 'above average', which suggests they have a low opinion of the 1%!

But then it's not so long ago that Blair and Brown declared they wanted all schools and hospitals to be above average. Their problems with numbers extended to 45 minutes and Tier 1 capital ratios too of course...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RodCrosby said:

saddened said:

RodCrosby said:

No, I know I'm a better driver, because I understand the concept of risk compensation.
    Except seat belts and their absence isn't the only risk.

Though this reminds me of the theory that if you wanted to eliminate road accidents then ban seat belts and replace the air bag with a spike pointing at the drivers head instead. Drivers would know that if they were in an accident they'd be impaled and so drive more carefully.
  • Options
    I think we need to change the name "dog"- it really is out of date and derogatory to these wonderful creatures. If I was a dog I would be seriously pissed by the superiority "cats" get through their name alone. I too would spend my life barking at the little ungrateful bastards.

• Options
    Perhaps it should be illegal to travel in a car without wearing a fire proof suit and crash helmet. You know, just in case.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    tyson said:

I think we need to change the name "dog"- it really is out of date and derogatory to these wonderful creatures. If I was a dog I would be seriously pissed by the superiority "cats" get through their name alone. I too would spend my life barking at the little ungrateful bastards.

But cats also get called pussies, which must cause them some embarrassment.

Perhaps it should be illegal to travel in a car without wearing a fire proof suit and crash helmet. You know, just in case.

As they do in racing, although not so many years ago it was a leather cap and a pair of goggles.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyson, on the plus side, the double-nature of the term 'dog' made it perfect for Sir Edric's manservant.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Very good indeedy
    ydoethur said:

tyson said:

But cats also get called pussies, which must cause them some embarrassment.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Perhaps we should do away with oppressive driving tests. The controls only take a couple of minutes to master. Anyone can do it, no need for the state to be involved.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Perhaps we should do away with oppressive driving tests. The controls only take a couple of minutes to master. Anyone can do it, no need for the state to be involved.
    You make a fair point. At the moment one person arbitrarily decides if another is capable of driving. Perhaps if I'm killed by a car driver my family should sue the examiner.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

If it wasn't for those stupid dyslexic humans getting their names wrong, they'd do just fine...
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, not certain, but it's my understanding that in most other languages there's the same cat slang, but the male member is referred to in dog terms (rather than cock, as per English). I wonder if that's due to the phenomenal popularity of cockfighting in this country (in the past every village, I think, had its own cockpit).
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ydoethur said:

saddened said:

RodCrosby said:

Apparently 99% of all drivers are 'above average', which suggests they have a low opinion of the 1%!

But then it's not so long ago that Blair and Brown declared they wanted all schools and hospitals to be above average. Their problems with numbers extended to 45 minutes and Tier 1 capital ratios too of course...
    Its those bloody 1%ers spoiling it for everybody else again.....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Are we brushing under the carpet the 250 business leaders that want Brexit? I don't suppose anybody has heard of them but no matter.

Interesting if Meeks claims these people are mad, infantile and irrational.

Noted that there are a couple of big names from the mobile phone industry, where exploitation of consumers has been pinned back by the EU.
    Um no.

The scrapping of mobile phone roaming charges was devised by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). The charges could have been scrapped a lot sooner were it not for the EU delaying implementation until the end of 2018.

Nothing like taking all the credit for someone else's hardwork.
  • Options

In 2014 there were 847 deaths in private and commercial (vans). Also 80 other vehicles (buses and coaches). I cannot find a breakdown in the 2009 seatbelt claim of 370 but does it include buses and coaches? Of the 847 deaths, circa 200 of the deaths are estimated to be due to drunk driving.

The RAC reported that in 2014 "98.2 per cent of car drivers were observed using seat belts in England and Scotland."

In my opinion, 99.999999999999999% of RTCs are caused by one thing, and one thing only. Humans.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Corbynism sweeps the nation :) - two standing ovations for Jeremy at the NUT conference:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-nut-conference-condemns-government-plans-to-turn-all-schools-into-academies-a6952586.html

Incidentally, I see that with the closure of the Indie, they've put up the price of its much more successful younger brother, the "i", by 150% (from 20p to 50p).
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, not certain, but it's my understanding that in most other languages there's the same cat slang, but the male member is referred to in dog terms (rather than cock, as per English). I wonder if that's due to the phenomenal popularity of cockfighting in this country (in the past every village, I think, had its own cockpit).

I always assumed it was a reference to a gun - as in, you put the cock up before action/going off.

That is where the expressions 'cock up' and 'going off at half cock' come from as well.
  • Options

Corbynism sweeps the nation :) - two standing ovations for Jeremy at the NUT conference:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-nut-conference-condemns-government-plans-to-turn-all-schools-into-academies-a6952586.html

Incidentally, I see that with the closure of the Indie, they've put up the price of its much more successful younger brother, the "i", by 150% (from 20p to 50p).

Mr Palmer, if in the current state of education somebody could NOT get a standing ovation from teachers for attacking the government's policies, any bet that suggested the party he led was on course for zero seats would be a sure thing.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, as well as keeping powder dry and flash in the pan.

But other nations had guns to the same extent as us, whereas I'm not sure cockfighting was so overwhelmingly popular (of course, it could be from guns anyway).

I remember from a QI episode that apparently the word 'dog' came out of nowhere, and people are confused about its origin (unlike hound, which is basically the German Hund).
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Are we brushing under the carpet the 250 business leaders that want Brexit? I don't suppose anybody has heard of them but no matter.

Noted that there are a couple of big names from the mobile phone industry, where exploitation of consumers has been pinned back by the EU.
    Um no.

The scrapping of mobile phone roaming charges was devised by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). The charges could have been scrapped a lot sooner were it not for the EU delaying implementation until the end of 2018.

Do you have sources for that? I'm just wondering after yesterday's stupidity wrt the EU and mobile standards, where the EU *did* play an important role.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

GIN1138 said:

I am a little unsettled by the anti-Trump meme from the lefties. Stopping the most popular candidate winning elections is a step on the road to becoming Syria.

Embrace the Trump

Indeed. Much as we may all wish it wasn't happening Trump is clearly the most popular candidate on the Republican side and he should be the Republicans Presidential candidate.
    I agree. If the Republicans are bonkers enough to pick Trump fair and square then that should be accepted.

Hillary will be an excellent President.
    LOL.

Her actions over the last decade have shown exactly why anyone, either Democrat or Republican, would be better than her.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Glastonbury will only effect the result if it's close.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2016/03/will-glastonbury-decide-outcome-eu-referendum

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Not at all. That is the calculated risk every time I get behind the wheel.
    I cannot alter others' behaviour. I can only alter my own, and refusal to wear a belt makes me a more careful driver, reducing my overall risk, as well as the risk to others [I estimate.]
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The chairman of JD Wetherspoons,Tim martin was on radio 5 this morning,he is one of the 250 business to back the brexit campaign.

He was very good at putting his point across why we should leave the EU,Infact he was one of the best to do so.

Start at 02:17:30

Listen for a very good leave reply.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07428xg
  • Options

But other nations had guns to the same extent as us, whereas I'm not sure cockfighting was so overwhelmingly popular (of course, it could be from guns anyway).

I remember from a QI episode that apparently the word 'dog' came out of nowhere, and people are confused about its origin (unlike hound, which is basically the German Hund).

I'd be concerned about using QI as a reputable source of information ...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

I cannot alter others' behaviour. I can only alter my own, and refusal to wear a belt makes me a more careful driver, reducing my overall risk, as well as the risk to others [I estimate.]
    Do / would you wear a seatbelt if you are in the rear of a car, and someone else is driving?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015
    This bizarre to say the least.
    Girl sets her lady parts on fire in some bizarre dance off. (Via http://bit.ly/22AWtek )
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I know it's not infallible (and I recall the EU episode where it turns out everything bad about it is a myth), but I don't think there'd be deliberate bias when it comes to the etymology of the word 'dog'.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Well - yes, to an extent. Most other countries made rather more limited use of them though. For example, British success in the Peninsular War was based on rate of fire coupled to high-quality marksmanship. French, Russian and German tactics were based in weight of numbers and close fighting backed by artillery. In French formations, around 85-90% of soldiers often barely fired at all in battle situations. Hence also 'the thin red line' that the French couldn't get past as they'd all been shot.

I do not know for sure, and I'd be willing to be corrected.

The most amusing misuse of the word I know of was by Dorothy Murdock, an exceptionally dense conspiracy theorist. She suggested a Priapis in the form of a rooster must be a symbol of Simon Peter, because he was called 'the Rock' and 'rock' rhymes with 'cock'. Alas that the megaton discovery that the ancient Romans and Judeans spoke English had eluded scholarship for so many centuries!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Surely as you've never worn a seatbelt, and have such confidence in your abilities, you must be complacent now, and so are more at risk?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

The chairman of JD Wetherspoons,Tim martin was on radio 5 this morning,he is one of the 250 business to back the brexit campaign.

He was very good at putting his point across why we should leave the EU,Infact he was one of the best to do so.

Not really surprise he back BREXIT. He might be good on the radio, but I would have asked him WHAT ABOUT MY F##KING CHEAP SHITTY WEATHERSPOONS TRADITIONAL SUNDAY LUNCH...
  • Options
    tyson said:

I don't know how Rod copes with that horrible bleeping noise that bullies you to put your seat belt on

RodCrosby said:

I wrap the belt around the back of the seat to bypass the circuit. Officious bloody Germans! Great engineers. Useless libertarians...
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, that's an impressive degree of wrongness.

Not really my area, but the gun was used much earlier than that. Also, the other terms are based on animals. Not that that's proof either way, but worth noting.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Not really surprise he back BREXIT. He might be good on the radio, but I would have asked him WHAT ABOUT MY F##KING CHEAP SHITTY WEATHERSPOONS TRADITIONAL SUNDAY LUNCH...
    lol
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    ydoethur said:

Mr Palmer, if in the current state of education somebody could NOT get a standing ovation from teachers for attacking the government's policies, any bet that suggested the party he led was on course for zero seats would be a sure thing.
    It's safe to say that teachers and many other public sector workers will vote for Corbyn.

Now there's just the matter of the other 40 million voters.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Surely as you've never worn a seatbelt, and have such confidence in your abilities, you must be complacent now, and so are more at risk?
    Perhaps, but still not as complacent as wearing a belt would make me...
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I know it's not infallible (and I recall the EU episode where it turns out everything bad about it is a myth), but I don't think there'd be deliberate bias when it comes to the etymology of the word 'dog'.

... or the one where Fry suggested GPS units sent a signal up to satellites (something which has been commonly stated by tin-foil hatters, as it means a GPS unit could track you in real-time).

Of course, basic units only receive, not transmit (and the strength of signal to reach the satellites would be quite something).

It's not just intentional bias that gets me about it, but the way they simply for entertainment's sake.
  • Options
    Do people still watch QI?
  • Options

In my opinion, 99.999999999999999% of RTCs are caused by one thing, and one thing only. Humans.
    Road environment contributed to 7% of accidents. Some of that was human error!
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Do / would you wear a seatbelt if you are in the rear of a car, and someone else is driving?
    I'm seldom in that situation, but I would, I guess.
  • Options
    Thanx, tweeted that

• Options

Mr. Doethur, that's an impressive degree of wrongness.

Not really my area, but the gun was used much earlier than that. Also, the other terms are based on animals. Not that that's proof either way, but worth noting.

A fair point. Maybe it's a reference to the days when it was conventional to start the day with sex, so it was what got you up in the morning? That wasn't a deliberate pun, by the way.

The first handguns in this country were used I. The Wars of the Roses, although, we were late to get them. However, cocking mechanisms came much later - Civil War period, I think - and therefore it would not be surprising if the slang developed from them at a late date. In the 17th century, the slang words were 'member' or 'main'.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

One of the biggest drops in death on our roads occurred in 2008.

Due primarily to the downturn in the economy and fewer vehicles on the roads.

A depression can save lives.
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS: Mystery 'Man in White' pictured on Brussels airport CCTV moments before bomb attack that left 14 dead is arrested and charged with 'terrorist murder'
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Belgian authorities: Nuclear ID theft was made up, no particular terrorism angle to the murder of a security guard who worked at a nuclear power station.

http://mobile.lesoir.be/1163392/article/actualite/belgique/2016-03-26/meurtre-d-un-agent-securite-froidchapelle-piste-terroriste-dementie
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It's safe to say that teachers and many other public sector workers will vote for Corbyn.

Now there's just the matter of the other 40 million voters.
    Which is Corbyn's problem in a beautifully expressed nutshell.

Of course, if he got into power we'd quickly come to hate him too. All governments conspire to make our lives miserable. But it has to be said this one has been impressive even by the high standards set under Baker, Blunkett and Balls.
  • Options
    Incidentally, did anyone else watch the first episode of Blue Eyes on More4 last night?

It's a Scandinavian political drama.
  • Options
    He's visited UK too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3510125/Man-White-Brussels-bomber-wanted-Paris-attack-suspect-Mohamed-Abrini-travelled-Britain-year.html

BREAKING NEWS: Mystery 'Man in White' pictured on Brussels airport CCTV moments before bomb attack that left 14 dead is arrested and charged with 'terrorist murder'

• Options

Thanx, tweeted that

We have also had Lib Dem Lucy from BSE slagging them off for not running FTSE companies and not having the backing of their companies. Also Mike Rake from BT - not exactly dynamic.
  • Options

Incidentally, did anyone else watch the first episode of Blue Eyes on More4 last night?

Is that the one that was filmed a few years ago about an ultra far right party getting into power?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited March 2016

MP_SE said:

Um no.

Do you have sources for that? I'm just wondering after yesterday's stupidity wrt the EU and mobile standards, where the EU *did* play an important role.
    The EU did play the key role in this and it wouldn't have happened without the EU. MP_SE is wrong.

http://theconversation.com/international-roaming-charges-rip-off-the-itu-gets-involved-9663
  • Options
    The most amusing take on road safety was when the bike crash-helmet law came in, with an exemption for Sikhs, etc, a Tory MP tried to amend it so the exemption included "Calvinists, and other believers in predestination..."
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, I stopped a few series ago.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    edited March 2016

He's visited UK too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3510125/Man-White-Brussels-bomber-wanted-Paris-attack-suspect-Mohamed-Abrini-travelled-Britain-year.html

Different guy...

The federal prosecutor's office said in a statement today that a man identified as Faycal Cheffou, was one of six men detained in a police raid on Thursday.

The statement added that he has been charged with for 'involvement in a terrorist group, terrorist killings and attempted terrorist killings'.
  • Options
    Parris is vile today - nasty personal catty attack on Boris.

Ever since his Clacton snobbery, he's letting it all hang out.

Thanx, tweeted that

We have also had Lib Dem Lucy from BSE slagging them off for not running FTSE companies and not having the backing of their companies. Also Mike Rake from BT - not exactly dynamic.
  • Options

No. But I did watch Occupied on Sky about Norway getting invaded by Russia and shafted by the EU.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Mr. Urquhart, yes.

It may be the timing is a bit off, given Sweden's leftwing parties turning a deaf ear to legitimate concerns about the country's current state. Or perhaps that's a golden opportunity for a new series to be about such dangers (ahem).

Only 1/10 episodes in, so can't judge yet. I thought it was a bit slow, but that can be the case with a brand new series, so I'll probably watch one or two more before sticking or ditching it.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Betting, any good? Don't have Sky but it may drift to Pick at some point.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Best new show I have seen this year. Billions, with as many people refer to him, the posho British bloke out of Homeland, otherwise known as Damian Lewis.
  • Options

Thanx, tweeted that

Parris is vile, its his sneering arrogance that turned me away from the conservatives. Not just him of course, but he stands for everything I dislike about them, and I like a lot.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Um no.

The EU did play the key role in this and it wouldn't have happened without the EU. MP_SE is wrong.

http://theconversation.com/international-roaming-charges-rip-off-the-itu-gets-involved-9663
    Thanks.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

One of the biggest drops in death on our roads occurred in 2008.

Due primarily to the downturn in the economy and fewer vehicles on the roads.

A depression can save lives.
    When Sweden changed from driving on the left to the right in 1967, road fatalities and minor accidents plummeted.

For about six months, then started rising again...
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    ydoethur said:

LondonBob said:

The news media is talking about Trump’s problems with women,

To be mean and take your valuable point out of context, Trump's never had a problem with women. Quite the reverse, in fact. That's how he was able to wither a journalist who mocked his hairstyle with the words, 'Maybe you have better hair than me. But then I get more pussy than you do.'

Interesting question for a journalist to any of the lovely, sophisticated and above all young ladies who have married (or otherwise engaged with) Trump: 'What first attracted you to this elderly, promiscuous, strange looking billionaire?'

If that sounds like jealousy...
    https://twitter.com/DemsRRealRacist/status/713102654646456321

I see poor old Roger Stone is being blamed for the CubanMistressCrisis, would never do such a thing.
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, yes.

It may be the timing is a bit off, given Sweden's leftwing parties turning a deaf ear to legitimate concerns about the country's current state. Or perhaps that's a golden opportunity for a new series to be about such dangers (ahem).

Only 1/10 episodes in, so can't judge yet. I thought it was a bit slow, but that can be the case with a brand new series, so I'll probably watch one or two more before sticking or ditching it.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Betting, any good? Don't have Sky but it may drift to Pick at some point.

Occupied was pretty good in that it had some good ideas into how things would play out and good to see actors I had not seen before.Of course we have never heard of the EU forcing a country to do something its govt does not want to do. Ireland? Greece? Or force a change in that government's head, Italy?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    edited March 2016
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

You don't think there's a 'legislating for f**kwits' factor?
    I ride bikes and I'm fairly confident of my own abilities, however I accept I need to wear expensive & cumbersome protective gear because the roads are full of crap (mostly 4 wheeled) drivers with whom I will tend to lose arguments, regardless of my care and skill.
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, yes.

Occupied was pretty good in that it had some good ideas into how things would play out and good to see actors I had not seen before.Of course we have never heard of the EU forcing a country to do something its govt does not want to do. Ireland? Greece? Or force a change in that government's head, Italy?
    "some good ideas into how things would play out"

Is that because it played into your prejudices re. the EU?
  • Options

Thanx, tweeted that

Parris is vile, its his sneering arrogance that turned me away from the conservatives. Not just him of course, but he stands for everything I dislike about them, and I like a lot.
    Parris the man who outed Mandelson. I guess that sums up his own morals towards "friends".
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I think the piece by Matthew Parris is truly vicious. I would never vote for Boris as Leader and have said so repeatedly but he didn't deserve all this personal stuff being racked over again. I'm sure some of the personal lives of these so-called journalists wouldn't pass muster.

This just gives the media the green light to start racking all this up again but I get the impression some are not comfortable with it.
This discussion has been closed.