Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Osborne Supremacy might be over but the Osborne Legacy

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,996
    Had to check this, because I thought someone might have been pulling John Inverdale's leg (he mentioned this on the rugby yesterday), but England was once captained by Lancelot Slocock:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancelot_Slocock

His parents picked an interesting name.
    "Hmm. He may get ribbed at school because he's called Slocock. What name should we give him, darling?"
    "Something everyday. Innuendo-free. How about... Lancelot?"
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Wanderer said:

Btw on this "despite recent events the Tories still retain their blood lust for power" - you could have fooled me.

It's the corollary to 'despite recent events, Labour are committed to providing a credible alternative'
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why should Osborne abandon his leadership hopes just because Ian Duncan Shit wants him to ?

He shouldn't because of IDS.

But because he's unpopular with party members, and the electorate. Osborne as leader would be a liability. The Tories are unlikely to win a majority with him in charge. Not now, with the reputation he's acquired.

I'd almost prefer Corbyn. At least he's up front about fr@cking you over, rather than a devious Brown look-a-like.
    As has been said before, Osborne comes across as somewhat cruel and unfeeling. And if IDS resigns because he is, that only re-inforces such a view.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Surely Osborne's issue is that he doesn't have much to offer re patronage. He can give you a job or a few quid for your seat.
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why should Osborne abandon his leadership hopes just because Ian Duncan Shit wants him to ?

Not just because of that, but because it weakens his position with MPs, and in any case his ambitions rely on being lucky withinthe world economy, that is his position was already weak.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,949

watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

But because he's unpopular with party members, and the electorate. Osborne as leader would be a liability. The Tories are unlikely to win a majority with him in charge. Not now, with the reputation he's acquired.

I'd almost prefer Corbyn. At least he's up front about fr@cking you over, rather than a devious Brown look-a-like.
    It is hard to see who Osborne is popular with! Not going to gain votes from the centre either. Doomed even before it gets to a party vote.
    Several posters here made him between 1-3 and 1-6 to get to the final two. Now that may have moved out a little, but I'm not conceeding yet !
  • Options
    Tim Shipman columns in Sunday Times are excellent.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    This is a bit silly on the Marr show. Surely they should have just started with the IDS interview rather than get pundits to speculate further on the resignation. Why not just cut to the chase?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Wanderer said:

Btw on this "despite recent events the Tories still retain their blood lust for power" - you could have fooled me.

Lol, yes I thought this too.

Having been dragged into power in the coat tails of Cameron and Osborne, the Tory hard right seem to have deluded themselves that they are popular with the public and good at politics.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

This is a bit silly on the Marr show. Surely they should have just started with the IDS interview rather than get pundits to speculate further on the resignation. Why not just cut to the chase?

Builds the anticipation!
  • Options
    Mr. 86, pundits like hearing their own voices. Why they're being indulged is another matter, of course.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh
    Uh-oh. DWP minister Shailesh Vara texted IDS last night: "Ros’s recollection does not accord with mine". (h/t @ShippersUnbound)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2016

Personally, I think he will be a failure if the party shifts away from the centre ground towards the right. The core of his leadership has been an attempt to make the part electable, and there will be a black mark over him if the party shifts away from that. Note: that is not saying his successor has to follow Cameronism, whatever that is.

Centrists, rather unsurprisingly, continue to conflate sitting in the centre with winning, overlooking the elephant in the room of Fatcha, well off to the centre-right, massive landslide victory that Cameron can only dream of. At best you could say that given two equally crap leaders, the most centrist will probably win by default, but talent trumps Centrism every time.

I still personally struggle with the idea that Cameron is a massively successful leader for scraping a paper thin majority against someone as flawed as Ed Miliband, had he been facing Gordon Brown again (or probably either Mr or Mrs Balls) he would never have got a majority, and against someone with actual talent like Blair he would have been toast. "Not as crap as Ed" would be a more accurate description, but probably not going to be that popular with the tory brown-nose brigade.

• Options
    This all reminds me why I never watch it.

I'm waiting for IDS response then will turn off
    tlg86 said:

• Options
    100 MPs have written a letter to the US ambassador Matthew Barzun telling him Obama should stay out of EU referendum https://t.co/Hk0E7mrUCq
  • Options
    Grenades launched this morning

Tim Shipman
    BREAKING: Now Justin Tomlinson, junior DWP minister, backs IDS over Altmann https://t.co/M0yu9GVjNz
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Pulpstar said:

watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

It is hard to see who Osborne is popular with! Not going to gain votes from the centre either. Doomed even before it gets to a party vote.
    Several posters here made him between 1-3 and 1-6 to get to the final two. Now that may have moved out a little, but I'm not conceeding yet !
    Whoever was the Other, Osborne wouldn't beat them. I've always had grave doubts that Osborne would succeed Cameron, expressed freely on here. His recent pathetic showing on the Renegotiation and the PIP a cripple fiasco have indeed ended that slenderest of hopes.

I think for the succession, the Tories will do what they did with Cameron, and dip down a generation. The next leader is barely forty, is my guess.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Yuck. The site of Matt D'Ancona on Andrew Marr pinning everything bad on IDS
  • Options
    Steve Richards makes a good point that a lot of this is back to front. I suspect the anger directed towards IDS is that he's positioned himself to the kinder side of the Tories when he's supposed to be on the nasty side of the party.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tlg86 said:

Suzanne Evans was pretty lucid. Easy to see why Farage sees her as a threat.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, if Altmann[sp] wrote and released that with the agreement of Number Ten, then Cameron's taken the decision to deepen an already significant rift.

If not, Cameron needs to get the likes of Osborne and Gove to persuade their allies to calm things down.
  • Options
    He's a long standing Cameron friend, along with Ian Birrel.

Navigating the personal loyalty factor when reading journo stuff is key in spats like this.
    Millsy said:

Yuck. The site of Matt D'Ancona on Andrew Marr pinning everything bad on IDS

• Options
    edited March 2016

Tim Shipman
    BREAKING: Now Justin Tomlinson, junior DWP minister, backs IDS over Altmann https://t.co/M0yu9GVjNz

Just a question if the grenades start doing collateral damage beyond the department I guess. Directly that is, obviously the fact of them is damaging.
  • Options
    I really rather like her.

tlg86 said:

• Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268

kle4 said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

I've just googled Priti Patel. I suggest she'd have the male vote sewn up. Or am I just being shallow as usual?

I believe the acceptable way to not appear shallow would be to say she is telegenic. But I've heard she's actually pretty crap in interviews and the like. Running for leader would be a different experience and done of the other candidates aren't great at interviews either, Boris springs to mind, so maybe she woukd do ok on that score.
    Priti is not my cup of tea. Her political views aside, she has a cold persona that comes across very poorly in interviews. I am not too bothered by her views on capital punishment, as it would never get through parliament. Support for her does seem to arise from a desire for tokenism rather than any real star quality.

In terms of eye candy, I would commend Stella Creasy, or for those who travel on the other bus Stephen Crabb. Past experience of such fellows is that expressed views fade over time.
    I find Patel too right wing for my tastes, but completely disagree with your assessment of her. In interviews, she seems credible, serious and impassioned. The only time I have seen her undone was when she had to defend her capital punishment views on QT. She ended having to argue miscarriages of justice don't happen.

If she's smart she will "evolve" to just preferring long sentences and will turn a negative with Joe Public into an electoral asset.
  • Options
    George should probably be humanely shot if he can't make it to the final two.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, also key in history (one of the reasons so little is known of Lysimachus, one of the major Diadochi figures, may be because he destroyed the city of Cardia and moved its population to his new capital Lysimacheia. Hieronymus of Cardia was the prime historian for the period... [which may also explain the generally kind treatment of Eumenes of Cardia]).
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

As an example; a PM could stand up and say: "We will to enact a law to do x." They put a law in front of the house that more or less does x, and it gets voted down. The mistake there is to say "will", instead of "intend", but people who view the politician poorly will mix those up anyway.

A good leader ( with good whips ) should have the measure of their party, and know what they are going to be able to get past them, and what is going to be tough, and what is going to be impossible. They should also know what is in their power, and what isnt.

Saying you are going to bring immigration down to 10s of thousands then over 200,000 arrive every year under freedom of movement from within the EU is at best being disingenuous, if not outright lying, it claims you can do something you have no way of delivering.

Saying we will legislate to do X when you (should) know that 50 of your back benchers oppose it, and hoping you can brow-beat MPs at the last minute is at best foolhardy, if not downright dishonest.

Cameron appeared completely surprised that more than half his parliamentary party want to LEAVE, he plainly expected it to be the usual couple of dozen troublemakers, is that poor leadership, or does he need to sack his whips, and is employing incompetent whips actually just poor leadership. If a CEO went to the board and said the company wasn't making profits because the whipssalesforce sucked, the board would likely say getting the right whipssalesforce was part of his job.
  • Options

Watching MOTD waiting for Marr.

West Ham were robbed. That was never a penalty.

Refereeing must be worth 12 home points a season for Chelsea.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Wanderer said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

IDS is the living proof that Tories are a totally separate breed of sentient beings.

Could any other group anywhere ever have voted to make him their leader?

Be fair Roger, he was a better leader than Corbyn is. IDS comes across as faintly dim and rather useless, while Corbyn is just terrifying.

I know you are no fan of Corbyn, before you say it. But the implication that no other group could make such a cretinous mistake is one that was firmly disproved seven months ago.
    Similar to Corbyn in that it was an insult to the electorate to ask them to take him seriously as a potential Prime Minister.
    But so far as I know he has never made common cause with Holocaust deniers or South American fascist governments.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Her UKIP manifesto was far more professional than the previous one put together by Farage's mates in the Golf club bar.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Her UKIP manifesto was far more professional than the previous one put together by Farage's mates in the Golf club bar.
    I thought theirs was the slickest of the 2015 manifestos.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

Whoever was the Other, Osborne wouldn't beat them. I've always had grave doubts that Osborne would succeed Cameron, expressed freely on here. His recent pathetic showing on the Renegotiation and the PIP a cripple fiasco have indeed ended that slenderest of hopes.

I think for the succession, the Tories will do what they did with Cameron, and dip down a generation. The next leader is barely forty, is my guess.
    Rudd vs Crabb, with Fox and Boris as also-rans? Stranger things have happened (a certain Labour MP scooping 60% of the vote springs to mind).
  • Options
    Paul Waugh
    Lamont: 'In office but not in power'
    Howe: 'Bats hv been broken by the team captain'
    IDS? 'Not all in this together' https://t.co/lYYuzHI3th
  • Options
    F1: the new, and stupid, qualifying format has been axed:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35850766
  • Options
    If Suzanne Evans was UKIP leader they would be rinsing it up right now. I detest UKIP but still feel instinctively positive about her.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh
    This NHS story is extraordinary, especially claims that Simon Stevens was 'leant on'. Is Laws right? On another day this wd be the top story
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tim Shipman

Just a question if the grenades start doing collateral damage beyond the department I guess. Directly that is, obviously the fact of them is damaging.
    Giving Altmann is former New Labour, I'm guessing she is mainly being motivated by EU issue. They are trying to character assasinate IDS to distract from Osborne's anti-Robin Hood budget blunder.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    For all his claims to be a reformer, IDS has been a danger to the Tory Party. He tried to assassinate Major, is trying to do the same to Cameron, was a failure as Party Leader and did not demonstrate any real achievements at DWP.
    The Brexit Tory MPs are being very noisy because they believe that they are losing the battle on the referendum.
  • Options
    She's also been a Lib Dem apparently. Winston Mckenzie's political hero got a peerage :wink:

kle4 said:

Tim Shipman

Giving Altmann is former New Labour, I'm guessing she is mainly being motivated by EU issue. They are trying to character assasinate IDS to distract from Osborne's anti-Robin Hood budget blunder.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Tim Shipman

Yes, probably. He suggested Cameron and co are insincere about being fair to people (some may well agree) and undermined their entire argument on the cuts, they're trying to suggest he's insincere about his motivations for making that attack (again, some will agree) and a dishonourable cad to boot.

We'll see who takes this the furthest, escalates it the most, but in this fight no one started out on the high road, and cannot honestly claim shock or upset at the other side trying to hit them back. Whatever the rights or wrongs of the budget or the EU, in this IDS fight tactically at least they've acted the same.

Good day to all.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,454
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

IDS is the living proof that Tories are a totally separate breed of sentient beings.

Be fair Roger, he was a better leader than Corbyn is. IDS comes across as faintly dim and rather useless, while Corbyn is just terrifying.

I know you are no fan of Corbyn, before you say it. But the implication that no other group could make such a cretinous mistake is one that was firmly disproved seven months ago.
    For all his limited appeal at least Corbyn is a human being. For those ideologically on the 'left' he makes sense. Just an old fashioned lefty whose time has probably passsed.

IDS is an altogether different kettle of fish. We can all agree he's hopeless but beyond that to non Tories he's also as unpleasant and disloyal a human being as even Shakespeare could have dreamt up
    Your definition of a human being is someone on the political Left.

Like plenty of left-wingers, you think there's something morally and ethically defective with anyone who isn't.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Marr show.

What a load of shite
  • Options
    perdix said:

For all his claims to be a reformer, IDS has been a danger to the Tory Party. He tried to assassinate Major, is trying to do the same to Cameron, was a failure as Party Leader and did not demonstrate any real achievements at DWP.
    The Brexit Tory MPs are being very noisy because they believe that they are losing the battle on the referendum.

Why is everyone trying to turn this into an argument about the referendum? The only relevance of the EU debate is, I suspect, that it is the motivation for Osborne's giveaway. But whatever his motives, he has lost all credibility when it comes to deficit reduction.
  • Options
    I think that this is the watershed in the referendum. The obvious schism in the conservative party has rocketed to the top of the news agenda and may well motivate the remain campaign by all the pro parties as they now see how ruthless the brexit can be.
  • Options
    Here he comes IDS
  • Options

EPG said:

God bless TSE's puns and the subject of this thread, the heir apparent to the Baronetcy of Ballentaylor, in County Tipperary, and Ballylemon, in County Waterford

I was up until 2 am desperately trying to get in an Osborne Ultimatatum pun. I failed.
    Hasn't he already done that? "Do you want to vote Leave, or have a career?"

Good thread, btw.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Is the juxtaposition of the original Bunny Boiler with IDS deliberate or merely serendipity?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

perdix said:

Why is everyone trying to turn this into an argument about the referendum?
    Everything about Tory politics at the moment is connected to it. I've no reason to doubt IDS' primary motivation is about what he said it was, but without the context of the wider political debate and being permitted to express open dissatisfaction with the government, and with the timing of the referendum so close, would he have been as likely to resign? Possibly not. Would Osborne, as you say, have done dome of the things IDS says provoked him? Possibly not.

So it is hugely relevant.
  • Options

Here he comes IDS

Damn, and I really have to go too - I hope they've invited Osborne to pop up and the two start swinging at each other.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

For all his limited appeal at least Corbyn is a human being. For those ideologically on the 'left' he makes sense. Just an old fashioned lefty whose time has probably passsed.

IDS is an altogether different kettle of fish. We can all agree he's hopeless but beyond that to non Tories he's also as unpleasant and disloyal a human being as even Shakespeare could have dreamt up

Like plenty of left-wingers, you think there's something morally and ethically defective with anyone who isn't.
    You're talking about the right. No one does moral superiority like a right winger.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I may be in a small minority on here but I actually quite like IDS, and think he's a decent man.

He spent a lot of time back in 2002-2003 trying to get the Conservatives to focus on helping the poorest in our society, highlighting the plight of our roughest estates, and helped make social justice a policy focus that's now part of the conservative mainstream.

Ironically, I don't support him on this particular issue, and would side with Osborne (shock) instead, but I can understand why he's had enough, particularly since Osborne has zero respect for him and doesn't bother to hide it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Here he comes IDS

Damn, and I really have to go too - I hope they've invited Osborne to pop up and the two start swinging at each other.
    Osborne doesn't do hard interviews!!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

Rudd vs Crabb, with Fox and Boris as also-rans? Stranger things have happened (a certain Labour MP scooping 60% of the vote springs to mind).
    Amber Rudd makes Ken Clarke look eurosceptic.

One thing I will bet my mortgage on: there will not be two Remainers in the final two.
  • Options

Miss Plato, if Altmann[sp] wrote and released that with the agreement of Number Ten, then Cameron's taken the decision to deepen an already significant rift.

If not, Cameron needs to get the likes of Osborne and Gove to persuade their allies to calm things down.

Beyond the bounds of credibility to believe that Altmann's attack-dog-letter was not written with No.10's blessing .... since the "renegotiation", there's definitely been a return of powers to No.10.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    I like your piece TSE, but Matt Hancock will never be prime minister.

In the words of Clem, not up to it.
  • Options
    @Casino_Royale Don't overly worry, my annoyance with IDS and Osborne is 100% about the ton I put on George at 7-4 way back.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Anybody claiming Cameron lacks intelligence is plain silly, he's clearly highly intelligent. When his son died he handled enormous grief with great dignity, in public at least, and I admired him for that. Where he falls down is lack of judgement and a feel for ordinary people, he appointed Coulson to overcome that deficiency and it backfired spectacularly. Cameron might think that everybody goes skiing and has friends round for supper but they just don't, for the vast majority life is a drudge and Cameron and Osborne simply don't understand that. His PR stunts at football matches are pathetic.

Cameron inspires loyalty in certain people, look at the fawning sycophancy from some on here. But the inherent flaw is that sycophants are weak, they need to be led and guided, if you surround yourself with friends and sycophants you think you're strong but you are weak.

As for Hancock, the bloke epitomises everything the public loathe in politicians, he'd be a massive nail in the tory coffin.

I don't see fawning sycophants on here, just people who (in the large) agree with what Cameron is doing. Is that so unreasonable?
    You clearly don't read all of the posts. I won't name names but there are several people who have stated they favour Leave but don't want to see Cameron resign ib perceived failure.

Incidentally, what IS Cameron doing?
    I'm not a Cameron sycophant, but I don't want to necessarily see him resign even though I back Leave.

Overall he's the best leadership candidate the Tories have at the moment - better than Patel or Boris or Gove. I could see a Rudd or Truss getting it next time, which would be interesting (2 female Tory leaders vs 0 for Labour).

He certainly shouldn't handle the Brexit negotiations though: I'd probably look at Gove being foreign secretary (would move Hammond to Chancellor as I suspect he'd be good at that role) and having overall leadership for the Brexit negotiations.

Cameron should then stand down once the new relationship is sorted to allow a fresh start.

(I suspect he will resign immediately though)
  • Options
    It sounds to me like IDS thinks he was tolerated at DWP because he was seen by the Left as the bad guy.
  • Options
    Remarkably few interruptions of IDS by Marr this morning.
    Unlike when Boris was on recently.
  • Options
    "Bedroom tax" Marr using inaccurate language I see !
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

You're talking about the right. No one does moral superiority like a right winger.
    And your hyper-partisan reflex actions trump your brain, yet again.
  • Options
    Hmm IDS isn't just trying to damage Osborne here, he's trying to damage Cameron too !
  • Options
    "This is not some secondary attempt to damage the prime minister"

Lol.

Seriously ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    IDS is no Sir Geoffrey Howe
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Morning all.

I thought Mr Meeks thought Ms Altmann was a waste of space? No doubt he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Completely O/T: Professor Frank Furedi is talking a lot of sense about inquiries into historic child abuse and the way the justice system is being manipulated and the principle of innocence until proven guilty is being lost. On Radio 4. Worth listening to.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm IDS isn't just trying to damage Osborne here, he's trying to damage Cameron too !

Seems too wooden to strike any blow to me.

Either that or has been got at over the last 24 hours.
  • Options
    IDS - "we're taking money off a very narrow group of people because they will never vote for us"

Ouch
  • Options
    Well he's impressing me, genuine and passionate about what he's trying to do.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    edited March 2016
    People are writing off Osborne far too quickly. There will be value in that at some point. Maybe not just yet though.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Anybody claiming Cameron lacks intelligence is plain silly, he's clearly highly intelligent. When his son died he handled enormous grief with great dignity, in public at least, and I admired him for that. Where he falls down is lack of judgement and a feel for ordinary people, he appointed Coulson to overcome that deficiency and it backfired spectacularly. Cameron might think that everybody goes skiing and has friends round for supper but they just don't, for the vast majority life is a drudge and Cameron and Osborne simply don't understand that. His PR stunts at football matches are pathetic.

Cameron inspires loyalty in certain people, look at the fawning sycophancy from some on here. But the inherent flaw is that sycophants are weak, they need to be led and guided, if you surround yourself with friends and sycophants you think you're strong but you are weak.

As for Hancock, the bloke epitomises everything the public loathe in politicians, he'd be a massive nail in the tory coffin.

I don't see fawning sycophants on here, just people who (in the large) agree with what Cameron is doing. Is that so unreasonable?
    You must be blind , the "I'm all right Jack" well off goggle eyed right wingers on here are drooling sycophants for Cameron. Tories are like the tin man , no heart , greedy self seeking and would push their granny under a bus to get more money.
  • Options
    IDS -"I didn't know anything about these changes until the media rang up and told me"
  • Options
    'I want the Chancellor and Prime Minister to succeed' - really !!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,348
    And on topic if Hancock manages half an hour of fame in his career he will surprise me.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    DavidL said:

People are writing off Osborne far too quickly. There will be value in that at some point. Maybe not just yet though.

Well I'm not selling him off for a penny in the pound. IDS is bringing the bet back from "critical" to "stable" on the life support machine with this interview though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure he is actually.

I'll say it again: I think IDS really genuinely believes in welfare reform, and is genuinely frustrated he hasn't got anyway.

At worst, he hates Osborne, and is disappointed in Cameron, but I don't think he's scorched earth.

Sometimes the media hype and drama is just that.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

If no-one mentioned parties,how can you be partisan? Sick of right wingers blind to their own prejudice and political correctness.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited March 2016
    Good morning.
    IDS holding his own and laying it all out on Marr this morning. First time I've seen him talk with vigor and from the heart.
  • Options

'I want the Chancellor and Prime Minister to succeed' - really !!

Most amusing bit of the interview.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

And on topic if Hancock manages half an hour of fame in his career he will surprise me.

Hancock's half hour?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Morning all.

I thought Mr Meeks thought Ms Altmann was a waste of space? No doubt he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Completely O/T: Professor Frank Furedi is talking a lot of sense about inquiries into historic child abuse and the way the justice system is being manipulated and the principle of innocence until proven guilty is being lost. On Radio 4. Worth listening to.

He has written quite a bit on the subject, for example:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/operation-midland-treating-fiction-as-fact/17473#.Vu5yzBBFDqA
  • Options
    Thought IDS finished strongly.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well, Hancock's Half Hour was a great success in the sixties :smiley:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Casino_Royale Don't overly worry, my annoyance with IDS and Osborne is 100% about the ton I put on George at 7-4 way back.

And Matt Hancock? Strong words from you on him this morning too! ;-)
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    malcolmg said:

You must be blind , the "I'm all right Jack" well off goggle eyed right wingers on here are drooling sycophants for Cameron. Tories are like the tin man , no heart , greedy self seeking and would push their granny under a bus to get more money.
    Yawn. Keep playing the broken record..
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Remarkably few interruptions of IDS by Marr this morning.
    Unlike when Boris was on recently.

I noticed that too. Wondered if IDS had said he would walk out if he couldn't get his argument across without interruption....

The Marr show is a weird old curates egg. Much as I might love Natalie Merchant, why would I want to combine her on a show with IDS???
  • Options
    IDS on verge of tears there talking about his frustration and desire to help. I'm convinced.
  • Options
    @TSE

No, but he has laid out in no uncertain terms why he resigned. Not everyone is a treacherous, back stabbing killer, like Howe.
  • Options
    IDS sounded sincere and spoke from whatever he has instead of a heart. Marr said to him "disabled people will react with hollow laughter". Because whilst he seems to think he was acting to improve people's lives he really really wasn't. A man so disconnected with the impact of his reforms who then sits the moralising about the immorality if Osborne.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

If no-one mentioned parties,how can you be partisan? Sick of right wingers blind to their own prejudice and political correctness.
    Read my post again: I made no statement about right-wingers.

I was simply calling out Roger's prejudice calling into question the humanity of anyone not on the political Left, which I think is outrageous.

You saw that as an attack on your political philosophy, and the only instinct you know when you perceive that to be taking place is to counter-attack yourself in a partisan manner.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    MikeK said:

Good morning.
    IDS holding his own and laying it all out on Marr this morning. First time I've seen him talk with vigor and from the heart.

IDS giving a bullet through the heart of the theory that it was 'really' all about Europe.
  • Options

IDS on verge of tears there talking about his frustration and desire to help. I'm convinced.

Six years of incompetence laid out in a sentence. If that was his desire then he must be a candidate for least effective minister.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And Matt Hancock? Strong words from you on him this morning too! ;-)
    Pfft not wasting a penny on that joker.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Wow, that was absolutely brutal from IDS. And clearly heartfelt and genuine.

The basic charge was one that a few of us have been making for a while: Osborne is focused on feeding and looking after the Tory client state. Those who do not vote Tory are not worth bothering about. Savage.
  • Options
    Faisal Islam
    Just received three supportive statements from DWP ministers for Iain Duncan Smith re Altmann: Shailesh Vara first https://t.co/nqhdclBHAv
  • Options
    MikeK said:

@TSE

No, but he has laid out in no uncertain terms why he resigned. Not everyone is a treacherous, back stabbing killer, like Howe.

And that's what's really galling for some on here.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Yawn. Keep playing the broken record..
    I see you have nothing of value to add as ever, back under your rock.
  • Options

Wow, that was absolutely brutal from IDS. And clearly heartfelt and genuine.

The basic charge was one that a few of us have been making for a while: Osborne is focused on feeding and looking after the Tory client state. Those who do not vote Tory are not worth bothering about. Savage.

How true though, just unusual for a Tory to say it.
  • Options

I don't know why he gets such a hard time.

Yes, he's not the smartest Tory in the party, and he was a huge failure as leader, but, give him a break: he's not an unpleasant or nasty man.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Thought IDS finished strongly.

Yes, full marks for his performance this morning. Looks like he will bring whatever muscle he has got, to the Leave referendum campaign from now on.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    I've often said that Cameron's background as an account exec is poor training for a PM. As a profession they've been described as 'waiters who think they're chefs'. Their job is to deliver and SELL more talented people's ideas. And the good ones can be exceptionally good

Once in a blue moon you can say 'cometh the hour cometh the man'. if ever the stage has been set for Cameron to exhibit his particular talent this referendum is it.

I think many here will be surprised
This discussion has been closed.