Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why a brokered convention won’t stop Trump

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why a brokered convention won’t stop Trump

Let’s talk brokered conventions, always a topic to set the pulses of political anoraks racing. We can deal with the Democrats briefly. Bernie might take Hillary all the way to the convention but if he does, he’ll lose just as she did against Obama eight years ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    First! Encore!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Second like a good Scottish Tory! :D
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Woohoo!
    Bank Holiday weekend ... we get Commonwealth Day off here on Monday!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Where do all you early birds live?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Not as foggy a morn as yesterday but still plenty of vapour about.
  • Options
    It was time to come forth but I came fifth.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2016
    " He [Trump] cannot be stopped now unless he stops himself."

I agree with you David, yet the strange thing is that the likes of Kasich simply refuse to go away and accept that it's all over bar the shouting.
    Having weakened on Betfair from 10/1 out to around 18/1, he's back into 11/1 this morning. Is it simply a case of fools throwing their money at how they wished it could all have been?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    GeoffM said:

Woohoo!
    Bank Holiday weekend ... we get Commonwealth Day off here on Monday!

Just had an email from the local County Council (part of “Visit Essex” or something) to say that the Country Council will be flying a flag to celebtrate. Thought it was in May!
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I read something about Trump wanting free trade with us in the event of Brexit, sounds promising.

I do hope our campaigns don't become as unedifying as those in the US, but fear it's inevitable. Personality politics is here to stay, reading this site its actually the anoraks feeding it. People on here are always shooting or praising the messenger not the message.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    The maths for Kasich simply aren't there.

Cruz has had his one time Texas boost, Rubio is losing his home state.

I agree, Trump is all but home and hosed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @NinjaEconomics: Michelle Fields filed a criminal complaint against Trump campaign manager for battery @lawrightstech @LesgartCPA https://t.co/3RdBXNIe8u
  • Options

I read something about Trump wanting free trade with us in the event of Brexit, sounds promising.

I do hope our campaigns don't become as unedifying as those in the US, but fear it's inevitable. Personality politics is here to stay, reading this site its actually the anoraks feeding it. People on here are always shooting or praising the messenger not the message.

But are our garages large enough to house millions of Chevvies?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited March 2016

If you look in certain corners it is already here. Public meetings being prevented by "protestors" on University campuses, "peaceful protesters" invading public spaces and preventing the public going around their daily business and so on.

I'd put the campaigns of groups such as UKUncut in that category.

If you want to look at more serious violence, you can start with the terrorist links of some Animal Rights people, and the remainder of the movement who deny it, or Antifas, or relatively mainstream people defending those who attacked Prince Charles/Camilla in their car, or put forward political justifications for the "riots" a couple of years ago, or Green people trying to close down electricity supplies.

Or indeed the dodgy links of Mr Livingstone, Ms Abbott, Mr Corbyn and Mr McDonnell.

It is where we are. I'm sure that others will point to different examples from different viewpoints.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

I agree with you David, yet the strange thing is that the likes of Kasich simply refuse to go away and accept that it's all over bar the shouting.
    Having weakened on Betfair from 10/1 out to around 18/1, he's back into 11/1 this morning. Is it simply a case of fools throwing their money at how they wished it could all have been?

I suspect it's people who can't believe that the Republicans would nominate Cruz or Trump, as both have so many negatives - without realising that Kasich cannot win unless at least one front-runner drops out. I'd make him no shorter than 50/1.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MattW said:

If you look in certain corners it is already here. Public meetings being prevented by "protestors" on University campuses, "peaceful protesters" invading public spaces and preventing the public going around their daily business and so on.

I'd put the campaigns of groups such as UKUncut in that category, and Greenies trying to close down electricity supplies.

It is where we are.
    Hasn't that been true since the Sixties at least?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@NinjaEconomics: Michelle Fields filed a criminal complaint against Trump campaign manager for battery @lawrightstech @LesgartCPA https://t.co/3RdBXNIe8u

Anything goes to stop Trump. Professional protestors are coming out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited March 2016
    MikeK said:

Scott_P said:

Anything goes to stop Trump. Professional protestors are coming out of the woodwork.
    Can you elucidate?

I agree that the complaint is persnickety and seems trivial, and may be simple trolling. And that it will be jumped on to build a narrative (see "Hands Up Don't Shoot").

However she is a reporter for Breitbart News. What is their point?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    We don’t have anyone on here, do we, who dealt with Trump in his Scottish ventures? Just wondered what he was like “for real” rather than the public persona.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Politics seems to have been quite odd for a while now. I wonder if that will continue in France...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Maomentum_: All this talk about so called fiscal credibility is completely overshadowing more important issues like Trident and prostitutes.

@Maomentum_: My 6 votes in the leadership election cost me £18, and all I get is this sell out to capitalist parasite shit?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

I suspect it's people who can't believe that the Republicans would nominate Cruz or Trump, as both have so many negatives - without realising that Kasich cannot win unless at least one front-runner drops out. I'd make him no shorter than 50/1.
    I think people are overestimating the chances of a brokered convention and stitch-up.
  • Options
    I see that CNN, MSBC and the BBC are crowing with delight at the smashed Trump Rally in Chicago last night.

https://twitter.com/Anthony_Rocca/status/708545041447264256
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,012
    RobD said:

Second like a good Scottish Tory! :D

Rob, You are nothing if not optimistic, believing in miracles is a good trait though.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

I think people are overestimating the chances of a brokered convention and stitch-up.
    I'd agree. Even if there is a notionally brokered convention, which personally I'd make about 11/8 against (I'm using 'notionally' to mean that all unpledged delegates are counted as if they have no stated preference), the ability to stitch up the nomination for Kasich - past both Trump and Cruz - will be extremely limited.

Kasich's best route to the nomination is a rapid withdrawal / collapse in support for one of the front-runners - preferably Trump - allowing him to start winning states in his own right. But there's little reason to expect that now when Trump's been a known quantity for eight months and looks now to be playing relatively safe now by his standards.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Politics seems to have been quite odd for a while now. I wonder if that will continue in France...

I think that it is Germany that needs watching this weekend, Morris. AfD look to be gaining ground in locals.

Anyhow enough of that, hows your new book going and when do I get a copy?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Dull it will not be with the Trumpster as the GOP nominee .... :smile:

Overnight polling from Missouri as requested by @RodCrosby

Missouri - Fort Hays St Uni

Trump 36 .. Cruz 29 .. Rubio 9 .. Kasich 8
    Clinton 47 .. Sanders 40
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    I do realise that it sounds daft, but a question keeps coming to mind, why does the Donald want to be POTUS? He is not stupid, while he is not particularly successful as a business tycoon except for allowing his name to go on others business enterprises for lots of money for him, much like his present campaign.
    But, why? Nearly all the other potential candidates of both parties have had political experience, or have a long record of political ambition. Not the Donald.
    It is not because he has strong political beliefs, or if he has, he's managed to keep them well hidden. The money for the job is not that good compared with what he is getting now, dealing with the ego's of the beltway politicians is mind boggling boring and infuriating in equal measure, while dealing with an antagonistic Senate and Congress can easily lead to suicidal thoughts.
    The business games he has played in the past will be like baby toys compared to the actual lethal games political foes and leaderships around the world will be lining up to play with him.
    So, why? I could be cynical, like a lot of people in the US, and say that he is acting as a blind for Clinton in destroying the Republican candidates, but I won't.
  • Options
    My last word on Trump this morning:
    Why Trump’s rivals can’t catch him http://politi.co/1RFaWL3

Which agrees in the main with all that David Herdson has written this morning.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Agree with David Herdson.Trump was 1-3 to be GOP winner when I had my 2nd POTUS bet,doubling up with Bernie at 11-1.Pareto would make Trump 80-20.
    The demographics,however,mean he cannot win.There's simply not enough KKK supporting white supremacists in the USA.
    Historian makes comparison with Mussolini rather than Hitler.
    http://www.salon.com/2016/03/11/trumps_not_hitler_hes_mussolini_how_gop_anti_intellectualism_created_a_modern_fascist_movement_in_america/

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Analysis of Electoral Commission data by this newspaper shows that Labour’s 30 biggest individual donors gave more than £8.7 million to the party between 2010 and 2014.

However the same individuals gave only £74,109 between Mr Corbyn’s election on September 12 and the end of the year, with 24 of the 30 giving nothing at all. Figures for 2016 have not yet been released.

John Mills, Labour’s biggest donors under Mr Miliband, has not given to the central party since last September, though he has contributed to Sadiq Khan’s London mayoral campaign.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12190512/Labours-biggest-donors-abandon-party-and-pump-140k-into-leadership-challengers.html
  • Options

Analysis of Electoral Commission data by this newspaper shows that Labour’s 30 biggest individual donors gave more than £8.7 million to the party between 2010 and 2014.

However the same individuals gave only £74,109 between Mr Corbyn’s election on September 12 and the end of the year, with 24 of the 30 giving nothing at all. Figures for 2016 have not yet been released.

John Mills, Labour’s biggest donors under Mr Miliband, has not given to the central party since last September, though he has contributed to Sadiq Khan’s London mayoral campaign.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12190512/Labours-biggest-donors-abandon-party-and-pump-140k-into-leadership-challengers.html

Labour Party austerity donations cutbacks - I blame George Osborne.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

I do realise that it sounds daft, but a question keeps coming to mind, why does the Donald want to be POTUS? He is not stupid, while he is not particularly successful as a business tycoon except for allowing his name to go on others business enterprises for lots of money for him, much like his present campaign.
    But, why? Nearly all the other potential candidates of both parties have had political experience, or have a long record of political ambition. Not the Donald.
    It is not because he has strong political beliefs, or if he has, he's managed to keep them well hidden. The money for the job is not that good compared with what he is getting now, dealing with the ego's of the beltway politicians is mind boggling boring and infuriating in equal measure, while dealing with an antagonistic Senate and Congress can easily lead to suicidal thoughts.
    The business games he has played in the past will be like baby toys compared to the actual lethal games political foes and leaderships around the world will be lining up to play with him.
    So, why? I could be cynical, like a lot of people in the US, and say that he is acting as a blind for Clinton in destroying the Republican candidates, but I won't.

The same reason they all do , to be the most powerful person in the world, it is his ego and idea that it needs someone great like him to make the USA great again.He sees the turkeys that are up for the job and rightly thinks , I could wipe the floor and many other parts with these turkeys.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

I don't think he understands how frustrating the actual business of being a chief executive who cannot direct the legislature will be.

But why do it? I suspect there might be an element of wanting to do something for his country but mainly, it's the mother of all ego-trips - and if there's one thing Trump isn't short of, it's ego. After all, who remembers businessmen fifty years hence? Al presidents, good bad and indifferent, are built into immortality via the history books. It's the modern equivalent of making Roman emperors gods on their death.
  • Options
    Mr. K, the signed limited edition hardback can be pre-ordered here: http://shop.ticketyboopress.co.uk/index.php?id_product=97&controller=product

That and the e-book will be released on 31 March, with the paperback to come a little later [no pre-order just yet for the e-book].
  • Options
    MattW said:

MikeK said:

Scott_P said:

Can you elucidate?

I agree that the complaint is persnickety and seems trivial, and may be simple trolling. And that it will be jumped on to build a narrative (see "Hands Up Don't Shoot").

However she is a reporter for Breitbart News. What is their point?
    Hi @MattW I've found an answer for you:
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/03/breitbart-michelle-fields-video-220631
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    malcolmg said:

OchEye said:

The same reason they all do , to be the most powerful person in the world, it is his ego and idea that it needs someone great like him to make the USA great again.He sees the turkeys that are up for the job and rightly thinks , I could wipe the floor and many other parts with these turkeys.
    Your propensity to use food as a term of derision is well known. Indeed as the Scottish Cultural Attache For The Advancement Of Turnips you are in a class of your own.

However with the appalling crisis in the US with obesity might I suggest you not refer to American plonkers as "turkeys" as this is a lean meat, but that donuts might be more apposite?
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

OchEye said:

Your propensity to use food as a term of derision is well known. Indeed as the Scottish Cultural Attache For The Advancement Of Turnips you are in a class of your own.

However with the appalling crisis in the US with obesity might I suggest you not refer to American plonkers as "turkeys" as this is a lean meat, but that donuts might be more apposite?
    I fail to see why Turnips need advancing at all, especially in Scotland where Turnips are the norm. I personally find them delicious. Turnips for Trump is the motto.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr W,

Surely turnips fit the bill better? Large amounts of fibre and very few calories. It would take a determined porker to get fat on these.

And for Mr G, the added bonus of describing his political opponents in a cerebral manner (or non-cerebral if you like).
  • Options
    "We will grow the economy" Labour Mcdonnell on r4today.

The magic money tree.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The magic money tree.

Osborne currently harvesting the low hanging fruit of that tree.
  • Options
    We’ll take Merkel to court over migrant chaos’ Furious Sweden hits out at Germany http://shr.gs/80fsJwR

This is interesting if it actually takes place.
  • Options
    Mr. K, didn't Sweden also have an open door policy?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Someone needs to sue Sweden for Ikea. A more heinous crime perpetrated on the human race it is hard to imagine.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

McDonnell, Osborne, both charlatans.

Lets see if the latter hoses £billions more of our cash in face saving 'Operation Hinkley Point'.

• Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    Why is Merrick Garland on Obama's SCOTUS shortlist? He's 63!!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

Osborne is just a minor socialist similar to Darling as CofE.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Off-topic:

On phablet so cannae link but the lead article in this week's t'Economist was obviously written by a "head-banger". Anti-frank might get the metaphor; given HB's 'Nighthawk' efforts I would expect the following....

:Whoosh:
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Nothing wrong with 63. Lots of experience and plenty of time left to use it.
  • Options
    The BBC is undecided on whether Trump cancelling his rally is good or bad for him. I suspect that says more about the BBC than about Trump. It will encourage a few more protesters, but turn off many more.

I remember the mindset from the late sixties. The more trouble we cause, the more we will get our way because the watchers will see the justice of our cause and flock to our banner. The same reasoning that encourages no-platforming, safe spaces and calling speech 'free' only if they agree with it.

Sorry lads (and ladesses), it just looks like a scene from 'Lord of the Flies' . And 'Piggy' Trump gains. But, hey, you feel noble and better about yourself.
  • Options
    Mr. 30, quite. Was staggered to read here how much more capacity we could have if we built gas-fired power stations instead.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Just to add, I do think we should keep in the back of our minds the possibility of a Trump-Cruz independent ticket.

It won't happen because one of them, almost certainly Trump, will be nominated. But one of the reasons why one of them will be nominated is the threat that such a ticket would pose and the risk of it happening were there to be a stitch up.

There's been speculation about Trump bolting the convention if his mandate is denied but why would that apply any the less to Cruz? Sure, running-mate isn't that great a prize and he'd have to leave the Republican Party so there might be an effort to stop him running for re-election in Texas under the GOP in 2018 should Trump-Cruz lose (which they would) but he might well win there as an independent too, or he strength in his state might be enough for him to continue as a caucusing Republican anyway.

Nor should we get too carried away with any bad blood between the two. They worked together at the start because it was in their interests to do so (as events have proven); they could work together again should the need so determine.

None of which is to say it will happen but those thinking of ways in which the establishment might try to stitch up the nomination for, say, Kasich need to think about what the reaction would be from those passed over.
  • Options
    Chris Terry
    Conservatives ahead of Labour in Scotland. Albeit in 'tallest dwarf' style competition https://t.co/zdEwvUpNVZ
  • Options

That makes him a lot younger than Trump, Clinton or Sanders.
  • Options

God knows, Morris. The Swedes are in a right mess - mostly of their own making - and no mistake on that.
  • Options
    A very interesting thread header.

It strikes me that an anti-Trump convention carve-up will only be possible if Cruz supports it. Without that you are giving the middle finger to basically everyone that has voted.

I expect that Cruz (and many others) will be wary of getting involved in something that will, quite probably, become notorious. He's young. Why damage his future viability?

It's a different matter if Cruz himself is the beneficiary. That's a prize of infinite worth - his party's nomination in an open year.

So, I think that a stitch-up in favour of Rubio, Kasich, Ryan, Romney etc has to be done over the protests of both Trump and Cruz and anyone who hopes to be a candidate in the future.
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

OchEye said:

Top Class Jack, easily post of the day
  • Options
    Mr. K, my understanding was that the Swedes effectively let everyone who wanted to come (perhaps pre-dating Merkel's deranged pronouncement).

The control and censorship of reporting regarding serious crimes by those claiming to be refugees is deeply concerning.

Cameron's been very good on the migrant crisis.
  • Options
    David Cameron postpones plans to scrap Human Rights Act - report:
    http://polho.me/1UnixCO

Call me Dave, is now pulling up the drawbridge in more effort to avoid a Brexit.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

All we need now is Alanbrooke to post something negative about Osborne and the cry
    " House" will resound far and wide.
  • Options

MD is that posh turnips you are talking about , though how a turnip can open a door is debateble
  • Options
    .....Just think if I hadn't clicked on one of MikeK's links to the Daily Express I might have missed the real debate....

"Has Braless Albanian Newsreader had a Boob Job?"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/651217/Braless-newsreader-boob-job-claims?utm_source=traffic.outbrain&utm_medium=traffic.outbrain&utm_term=traffic.outbrain&utm_content=traffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Mr. K, my understanding was that the Swedes effectively let everyone who wanted to come (perhaps pre-dating Merkel's deranged pronouncement).

The control and censorship of reporting regarding serious crimes by those claiming to be refugees is deeply concerning.

I remember hearing the Swedish Education Minister insisting last Summer that "the problem is us not them" in response to complaints about the behaviour of some migrants.
  • Options

We disagree on Cameron:

Sir Dirty Politics ‏@HouseOfTraitors 1h1 hour ago
    ++ BREAKING ++. Immigration Figures

Noises from civil service indicate over 3 MILLION immigrants have not been recorded.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

God knows, Morris. The Swedes are in a right mess - mostly of their own making - and no mistake on that.
    He was talking turnips then
  • Options
    Mr. K, I was referring specifically to the migrant crisis, not migration overall, when praising Cameron.

Mr. F, that's a disgusting comment from the Swedish politician.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

All we need now is Alanbrooke to post something negative about Osborne and the cry
    Why would need to do that ?

Back in 2011 my view was seen as somewhat eccentric, now it's becoming the PB consensus. I'm just sitting back enjoying the popcorn.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Agree with David Herdson.Trump was 1-3 to be GOP winner when I had my 2nd POTUS bet,doubling up with Bernie at 11-1.Pareto would make Trump 80-20.
    The demographics,however,mean he cannot win.There's simply not enough KKK supporting white supremacists in the USA.
    Historian makes comparison with Mussolini rather than Hitler.
    http://www.salon.com/2016/03/11/trumps_not_hitler_hes_mussolini_how_gop_anti_intellectualism_created_a_modern_fascist_movement_in_america/

I find it very hard to see him winning. But, not impossible in such a racially polarised country.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Chris Terry
    Conservatives ahead of Labour in Scotland. Albeit in 'tallest dwarf' style competition https://t.co/zdEwvUpNVZ

I get the option to translate that tweet from Haitian.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    MattW said:

If you want to look at more serious violence, you can start with the terrorist links of some Animal Rights people, and the remainder of the movement who deny it, or Antifas, or relatively mainstream people defending those who attacked Prince Charles/Camilla in their car, or put forward political justifications for the "riots" a couple of years ago, or Green people trying to close down electricity supplies.

Or indeed the dodgy links of Mr Livingstone, Ms Abbott, Mr Corbyn and Mr McDonnell.

It is where we are. I'm sure that others will point to different examples from different viewpoints.
    Since time began every country in Europe has had protest groups that spill over to violence now and then and they are not limited to the left as you seem to be trying to imply.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Roger said:

.....Just think if I hadn't clicked on one of MikeK's links to the Daily Express I might have missed the real debate....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/651217/Braless-newsreader-boob-job-claims?utm_source=traffic.outbrain&utm_medium=traffic.outbrain&utm_term=traffic.outbrain&utm_content=traffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain

Perhaps the details of Osborne's tax increases could be overlooked if UK TV adopted this cunning plan.
  • Options

So? What's the average age of the Supreme Court?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Dull it will not be with the Trumpster as the GOP nominee .... :smile:

Overnight polling from Missouri as requested by @RodCrosby

Missouri - Fort Hays St Uni

Trump 36 .. Cruz 29 .. Rubio 9 .. Kasich 8
    Clinton 47 .. Sanders 40

The samples for those were 208 (GOP) and 145 (Dems). Joke really, sounds like it's someones's Pol Sci 101 term project. Still it's all we've got
  • Options
    Roger said:

Email Corbyn, get him to raise it at PMQs.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

In a word EGO
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Am looking forward to reading about Osborne's successful trip to Manchester in a his driverless official car.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/12/george-osborne-driverless-car-trials-budget
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    OllyT said:

MattW said:

Since time began every country in Europe has had protest groups that spill over to violence now and then and they are not limited to the left as you seem to be trying to imply.
    Name five recent violent left wing protests in the UK.
    Name five recent violent right wing protests in the UK.

I know which I'd find easy.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

Back in 2011 my view was seen as somewhat eccentric, now it's becoming the PB consensus. I'm just sitting back enjoying the popcorn.
    hmm. one eccentric attracts other eccentrics ;). The trouble with you guys is that the loathing of Osborne is so deep seated , you cannot consider or post about him it on any form of rational basis.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

We disagree on Cameron:

Noises from civil service indicate over 3 MILLION immigrants have not been recorded.
    30,000 for each UKIP MP?
  • Options
    Number Cruncher
    Turnout at European Parliament elections by country. UK has always been low, but now elsewhere too (HT @paul1kirby) https://t.co/WVptcU1pxm
  • Options
    I've just amended the header.

I previously listed Rubio as having a majority in one state. He doesn't. He has a plurality of delegates in Minnesota (17 out of 38) but not a majority in the American sense i.e. more than everyone else put together. His only majority is in Puerto Rico: a territory, not a state.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

hmm. one eccentric attracts other eccentrics ;). The trouble with you guys is that the loathing of Osborne is so deep seated , you cannot consider or post about him it on any form of rational basis.
    Au contraire. Most of my Osborne posts start when some tribal Tory says how good he is. It's just simple to point out how average he is and how he has missed just about every goal he has set himself.

• Options
    Mr Root,

"The trouble with you guys is that the loathing of Osborne is so deep seated , you cannot consider or post about him it on any form of rational basis."

Reasons to dislike him ...

(1) He's a Tory (even though some of my best ...etc)
    (2) Public schoolboy (even though that's not his fault)
    (3) Punchable face (I blame the genes)
    (4) Populist.
    (5) Flip-flopper par excellence.
    (6) Ambitious
    (7) No visible talent (but may be OK putting up wallpaper).

I expect his mother likes him, though.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

That's not even a saying. This post is bollocks.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Just to add, I do think we should keep in the back of our minds the possibility of a Trump-Cruz independent ticket.

It won't happen because one of them, almost certainly Trump, will be nominated. But one of the reasons why one of them will be nominated is the threat that such a ticket would pose and the risk of it happening were there to be a stitch up.

There's been speculation about Trump bolting the convention if his mandate is denied but why would that apply any the less to Cruz? Sure, running-mate isn't that great a prize and he'd have to leave the Republican Party so there might be an effort to stop him running for re-election in Texas under the GOP in 2018 should Trump-Cruz lose (which they would) but he might well win there as an independent too, or he strength in his state might be enough for him to continue as a caucusing Republican anyway.

Nor should we get too carried away with any bad blood between the two. They worked together at the start because it was in their interests to do so (as events have proven); they could work together again should the need so determine.

None of which is to say it will happen but those thinking of ways in which the establishment might try to stitch up the nomination for, say, Kasich need to think about what the reaction would be from those passed over.
    I hadn't really considered that. Is there enough in it for Cruz, I wonder.
  • Options

OllyT said:

MattW said:

Name five recent violent left wing protests in the UK.
    Name five recent violent right wing protests in the UK.

I know which I'd find easy.
    There is undoubtedly more violence on the left, I was just pointing out that it is not limited to the left - racist right wing groups have often been involved in violence, particularly in Europe which is what I was talking about.

It has also been going on for donkey's years and most of it is handbags stuff with a nasty flair up every so often.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

Au contraire. Most of my Osborne posts start when some tribal Tory says how good he is. It's just simple to point out how average he is and how he has missed just about every goal he has set himself.

I raised doubts on pb about Osborne from before GE 2010 starting with the madness of being the GE2010 campaign head and shadow CofE.
  • Options
    No way Cruz is Trump's running mate. The veep has to defend Trump's positions and Cruz is an ideologue who won't want to lessen purity. Also if Trump goes down in flames, which he will, Cruz will be next in line for 2020.
  • Options

I've just amended the header.

I previously listed Rubio as having a majority in one state. He doesn't. He has a plurality of delegates in Minnesota (17 out of 38) but not a majority in the American sense i.e. more than everyone else put together. His only majority is in Puerto Rico: a territory, not a state.

If theres to be a stitch up, those rules will be dumped before you can say "sod the electorate".
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Roger said:

Email Corbyn, get him to raise it at PMQs.
    'Nahezhda writes to me from Tirana'....or should I use my real name?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

That would be the question but it can also be flipped: if the nomination was taken from under him (even if also from under Trump in a better position), what is Cruz's incentive to stay and rally around that preferred nominee?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016
    dr_spyn said:

Am looking forward to reading about Osborne's successful trip to Manchester in a his driverless official car.
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/12/george-osborne-driverless-car-trials-budget

A classic example of Osborne meddling in another department just to steal the limelight. Always bad for a large Company when the Finance Director attempts to run the PR and the Operations at the same time.
  • Options
    Violent hard leftists so undermime the moderate left. Happens every time and they never learn.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I see that CNN, MSBC and the BBC are crowing with delight at the smashed Trump Rally in Chicago last night.

https://twitter.com/Anthony_Rocca/status/708545041447264256

I watched CNN and their bias was humongous. Not a fig given for freedom of speech and these are the same MSM people and assembled who assured us over many months that Trump had no chance, would implode any week soon etc. etc. MSBC and BBC, Chuck Todd/CNBC, similarly. It seems to me that the MSM are having a massive fail on all fronts.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

I don't have any loathing of him, but he's someone that has justified pulling the rug out from people on the breadline in name of deficit reduction, then turns around and gives tax cuts for the wealthy.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

dr_spyn said:

A classic example of Osborne meddling in another department just to steal the limelight. Always bad for a large Company when the Finance Director attempts to run the PR and the Operations at the same time.
    I haven't read the article but I am in favour of government encouraging the development of new technology. I we don't do it others will. We have become a nation of shopkeepers and estate agents - time to broaden our horizon.

• Options

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

I suspect it's people who can't believe that the Republicans would nominate Cruz or Trump, as both have so many negatives - without realising that Kasich cannot win unless at least one front-runner drops out. Ike him no shorter than 50/1.

There's been speculation about Trump bolting the convention if his mandate is denied but why would that apply any the less to Cruz? Sure, running-mate isn't that great a prize and he'd have to leave the Republican Party so there might be an effort to stop him running for re-election in Texas under the GOP in 2018 should Trump-Cruz lose (which they would) but he might well win there as an independent too, or he strength in his state might be enough for him to continue as a caucusing Republican

That would be the question but it can also be flipped: if the nomination was taken from under him (even if also from under Trump in a better position), what is Cruz's incentive to stay and rally around that preferred nominee?
    There is a middle ground between rallying round stitch up nominee and backing Trump. He would claim the outrage and try to channel it in 2020, without tarring himself with Trump. I think you don't realise how much hardline conservatives hate Trump. Go and read RedState.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Jonathan said:

The magic money tree.

Average? Can you name another MP who has cut real terms spending in more years than he has?

Some average lol
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MikeK said:

We disagree on Cameron:

Noises are not sufficient - wait to see the facts.
This discussion has been closed.