Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Results : March 3rd 2016

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Results : March 3rd 2016

Bloomfield (Lab defence) on Blackpool
Result: Labour 450 (58% +13%), Conservative 150 (19% -1%), United Kingdom Independence Party 118 (15% -10%), Green Party 32 (4% -5%), Liberal Democrat 31 (4%, no candidate in 2015)
Labour HOLD with a majority of 300 (39%) on a swing of 7% from Conservative to Labour

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    That should have been my first! I got that discussion ID thingy.

Lib Dem surge in May?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    tlg86 said:

That should have been my first! I got that discussion ID thingy.

Lib Dem surge in May?

Not necessarily. I see their vote fell in Rutland.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    So if Osborne isn't going to raid pensions, how will he balance the books?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    What is really sad is that as someone running a successful business I have really come to fear Osborne's budgets in a way I have never done before.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    BCC Director General suspended for saying in a personal capacity that Britain would be better off outside the EU. So confident in their position are remain, they have to silence Leavers under threat of their jobs...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cuts or the OBR finding £46 billion down the back of the sofa.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

What is really sad is that as someone running a successful business I have really come to fear Osborne's budgets in a way I have never done before.
    Absurd hysteria.
  • Options

You're not the only one to say something like that to me recently.
  • Options

BCC Director General suspended for saying in a personal capacity that Britain would be better off outside the EU. So confident in their position are remain, they have to silence Leavers under threat of their jobs...

He is head of the BCC of which 60% of his members are pro EU. In these circumstances he has to reflect the majority view or at the very least be neutral and he failed in this respect.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Yup lots of hysterical people about these days..
  • Options

Absurd hysteria.
    Really? And what the hell do you know? I the lead up to the autumn statement Osborne was seriously floating the idea of a proposal that overnight would have put me and tens of thousands of people like me out of business. It is still something they are apparently considering.

When you have built up your own business over two decades and face the threat of it being wiped out overnight then you might not think it us such absurd hysteria.
  • Options
    What an awesome last couple of laps by Jonathan Dibben to win the points race. Chapeau Sir!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited March 2016

tlg86 said:

This OBR "cash" that's constantly lost and found is the equivalent of finding the cashout value of a large Trump bet has gone up £200 in the morning, so heading out to buy swanky new shoes only to find it's gone by evening as Trump has drifted or something.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455

He is head of the BCC of which 60% of his members are pro EU. In these circumstances he has to reflect the majority view or at the very least be neutral and he failed in this respect.
    60% said they were minded to vote to remain, in a poll of 2% of the membership, before the renegotiation shambles. The organisation has agreed not to take a position either way, so I don't see why its staff can't share their personal views.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Absurd hysteria.
    Really? And what the hell do you know? I the lead up to the autumn statement Osborne was seriously floating the idea of a proposal that overnight would have put me and tens of thousands of people like me out of business. It is still something they are apparently considering.

When you have built up your own business over two decades and face the threat of it being wiped out overnight then you might not think it us such absurd hysteria.
    Genuine question: what was the proposal?

• Options
    edited March 2016

Absurd hysteria.

It may well be that your business is dependent on you getting an extra 15% tax relief on your pensions contributions compared to millions of normal people.
    The government published a consultation covering many issues some time ago. There was nothing secret about it. One option was to abolish reliefs altogether and to exempt pensions from tax.

Ah edit
    Looking at your comment you are not talking about pension relief but something else.
    Still something the govt were consulting about. It's tough I grant you but governments look at stuff all the time.
  • Options

60% said they were minded to vote to remain, in a poll of 2% of the membership, before the renegotiation shambles. The organisation has agreed not to take a position either way, so I don't see why its staff can't share their personal views.
    He is not staff - he is the head of the BCC and has a duty to remain at the very least neutral
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

This OBR "cash" that's constantly lost and found is the equivalent of finding the cashout value of a large Trump bet has gone up £200 in the morning, so heading out to buy swanky new shoes only to find it's gone by evening as Trump has drifted or something.
    You've nailed my betting and shoe buying strategy :lol:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,402

I misread that as the BBC.

But then I realised the idea that Auntie might take an anti-EU position was as far fetched as some of Osborne's budget plans.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

But then I realised the idea that Auntie might take an anti-EU position was as far fetched as some of Osborne's budget plans.
    Sky have just played his interview as head of the BCC and he was just simply out of order
  • Options

Absurd hysteria.

It may well be that your business is dependent on you getting an extra 15% tax relief on your pensions contributions compared to millions of normal people.
    The government published a consultation covering many issues some time ago. There was nothing secret about it. One option was to abolish reliefs altogether and to exempt pensions from tax.
    Nothing to do with pensions at all. That is just another normal budget swings and roundabouts. Taxes go up and down and we just put up with it. But when they decide to drive companies out of business it's a different matter.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

He is not staff - he is the head of the BCC and has a duty to remain at the very least neutral
    Not if it's clear he was acting in a personal capacity.

As a case in point, our family has agreed not to take an official stance (despite the majority being in favour of Brexit). This is a personal request of the (non-family) chairman, who would be reference and linked in any press coverage because of his past roles. But we are free to do what we like in a personal capacity.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

ydoethur said:

Sky have just played his interview as head of the BCC and he was just simply out of order

The BCC have Streisanded themselves nicely.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Absurd hysteria.

Anyone on a contract longer than 1 month would have to be employed by the company they were doing the work for.
  • Options

Absurd hysteria.

Nothing to do with pensions at all. That is just another normal budget swings and roundabouts. Taxes go up and down and we just put up with it. But when they decide to drive companies out of business it's a different matter.
    Is the increase in the National living Wage and the apprentice levies the cause of your concern as they seem reasonable policies
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Charles said:

As a case in point, our family has agreed not to take an official stance (despite the majority being in favour of Brexit). This is a personal request of the (non-family) chairman, who would be reference and linked in any press coverage because of his past roles. But we are free to do what we like in a personal capacity.
    Going a bit Don Corleone there.
  • Options
    Charles said:

He said it during an interview with Sky as 'Head of the BCC' and was an error in view of the position he holds
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974

You are wise to do so.

Osborne is, frankly, a piece of scum.
  • Options

I am minded to say that on that basis any opinion presented by the BCC is pretty meaningless. How can it know what it's members want or think.What is the BCC for?
    I think the same would apply to the IoD and the CBI etc.
  • Options
    Apols if previously posted.
    Spain seem to want to violate the Treaty of Utrecht.
    http://www.thelocal.es/20160304/spain-waiting-to-pounce-if-gibraltar-leaves-the-eu
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Cyclefree said:

Absurd hysteria.

Anyone on a contract longer than 1 month would have to be employed by the company they were doing the work for.
    Thank you.

• Options

ydoethur said:

God forbid that a businessman should think we'd be better off outside the EU.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Going a bit Don Corleone there.
    Family, God, Queen & Country is the order of loyalty...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

That is not the point. He said it as Head of BCC representing many businesses of which 60% want to remain
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

You are wise to do so.

Osborne is, frankly, a piece of scum.
    I thought 'near perfect' was the acceptable phrase.
    On a more serious note, agree with you 100% Sean.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Pah I've been telling you that daily since 2011.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,563

Charles said:

He said it during an interview with Sky as 'Head of the BCC' and was an error in view of the position he holds
    He IS (or was) head of the BCC. He was asked for his view. He gave it. Had he been asked for the view of the BCC as an organisation, I'm sure he would have stated that opinion was mixed. The extent to which a prominent business figure stating an optimistic economic case post Brexit has upset you is alarming. 'Calm down dear' as a noted politician once said.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....don't you know House of Cards is on....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

That is not the point. He said it as Head of BCC representing many businesses of which 60% want to remain
    If his contract stipulates that he must campaign for the UK to be part of the EU, then you're correct. If it doesn't, you aren't.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

I feel your pain.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    They didn't did they....

The warning to staff came as one viewer of the BBC1 bulletin tweeted: “Subtle of the BBC to show a clip of Savile introducing Cliff Richard on ToTP.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/6975556/Cliff-Richard-angry-at-BBC.html
  • Options

Charles said:

He IS (or was) head of the BCC. He was asked for his view. He gave it. Had he been asked for the view of the BCC as an organisation, I'm sure he would have stated that opinion was mixed. The extent to which a prominent business figure stating an optimistic economic case post Brexit has upset you is alarming. 'Calm down dear' as a noted politician once said.
    He is the Head of BCC and was asked for the BBC view. I am in the undecided camp but am seeking accuracy from both sides as the debate continues. The case has not been made to me yet but I do appreciate some respect for my views
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

If his contract stipulates that he must campaign for the UK to be part of the EU, then you're correct. If it doesn't, you aren't.
    As head his position should be neutral at best
  • Options

I'm more forgiving of Ozzy than you.

He was given a truly dire inheritance, and when he tried to do the right things, the country went batshit mental over minor things, cf Pasty tax or the undemocratic House of Lords breaking precedent and buggering up his budgets.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

I feel your pain.
    Heh, my book is too small for that effect and Cruz negated it.

Whats annoying is I did a "proper" cashout on Jeb, putting exactly £1.51 or w/e to bring him up to level the field. And now he's heading into the 200s or so !
    The Bloomberg Rep Nom price is something else I can't really get my head round either.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

He was given a truly dire inheritance, and when he tried to do the right things, the country went batshit mental over minor things, cf Pasty tax or the undemocratic House of Lords breaking precedent and buggering up his budgets.
    Nonsense the fact that you can only quote the trivia shows how little he has done.

He had a once in a lifetime opportunity to drive through major reforms and wasted it

• Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

Tried to do the right things.......lol
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,563

Charles said:

He is the Head of BCC and was asked for the BBC view. I am in the undecided camp but am seeking accuracy from both sides as the debate continues. The case has not been made to me yet but I do appreciate some respect for my views
    Then I'm sure you can quote the question asking him the view of the organisation, and him replying telling the interviewer that the view of the organisation was in favour of Brexit.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033
    "I'm a BBC journalist, but in a personal capacity, I'm now going to tell you why I support British membership of Europe."

Wouldn't go down so well here
  • Options

Charles said:

Then I'm sure you can quote the question asking him the view of the organisation, and him replying telling the interviewer that the view of the organisation was in favour of Brexit.
    I think we should agree to disagree and I wish you and everyone a restful night.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Absurd hysteria.

Please explain how your company will be driven out of business.

• Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    perdix said:

Absurd hysteria.

Please explain how your company will be driven out of business.

I already did to Cyclefree earlier in the thread.
This discussion has been closed.