Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » South Carolina goes as expected – an overwhelming victory f

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » South Carolina goes as expected – an overwhelming victory for Hillary

Hillary Clinton wins overwhelming victory in South Carolina. pic.twitter.com/k3wLjtmOI2

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Hillary is the nominee unless she gets arrested.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Nine years ago today, I went to the Gielgud Theatre and discovered that Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,109
    Better choice of outfit than after New Hampshire when she looked like she'd been wrapped in medical bandages.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2016
    Looks like turnout is down by about a third compared to 2008 when the last Democrat primary took place. Total then was 532,468. This time with 80% counted it's 290,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_South_Carolina,_2008
    http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/south-carolina-democratic-primary/
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Still counting in Eire...

"After count 11 in Wexford, no candidate has been elected, and nobody has been excluded..."

They'll be there another week, bless 'em.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

"After count 11 in Wexford, no candidate has been elected, and nobody has been excluded..."

That's a contradiction. Each count results in either a candidate being eliminated, or an elected candidate's surplus being transferred.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JohnLoony said:

RodCrosby said:

That's a contradiction. Each count results in either a candidate being eliminated, or an elected candidate's surplus being transferred.
    I know. The quote sounded so 'Oirish', I just couldn't resist!

They mean after count 11, specifically, I believe.

Or maybe they're posting from the pub...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    AndyJS said:
    It's amazing how STV can produce (possibly) the most diverse and fractured parliament in Europe on the one hand, while also producing the most monolithic, perfect two-party system on the other (in Malta)...

Even the district magnitudes in each country would suggest the precisely opposite outcome.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    RodCrosby said:

It's amazing how STV can produce (possibly) the most diverse and fractured parliament in Europe on the one hand, while also producing the most monolithic, perfect two-party system on the other (in Malta)...

I suppose that depends ultimately on whether the electorate is fragmented or not, and to what extent.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2016
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Even the district magnitudes in each country would suggest the precisely opposite outcome.
    You have to admire the Irish for having adopted this system nearly 100 years ago. Well, maybe admire isn't the right word. It's supposed to be fair but Labour could end up with half the number of seats their share of the vote would entitle them to under a strictly proportional electoral system.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RodCrosby said:

JohnLoony said:

RodCrosby said:

I know. The quote sounded so 'Oirish', I just couldn't resist!

They mean after count 11, specifically, I believe.

Or maybe they're posting from the pub...
    Sounds like the Irish Frankenstein, or as the Irish say - Begorrah
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    AndyJS said:

Looks like turnout is down by about a third compared to 2008 when the last Democrat primary took place. Total then was 532,468. This time with 80% counted it's 290,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_South_Carolina,_2008
    http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/south-carolina-democratic-primary/

With 98% it is 367k
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

You have to admire the Irish for having adopted this system nearly 100 years ago. Well, maybe admire isn't the right word. It's supposed to be fair but Labour could end up with half the number of seats their share of the vote would entitle them to under a strictly proportional electoral system.
    Erm, it was more or less at the point of a British gun...

History is full of ironies.

De Valera twice tried to get it ditched for FPTP in referenda in the 1960s, but the people demurred - thinking it was the 'British' system - when STV is in fact our original contribution to electoral systems (Thomas Wright Hill, and Thomas Hare.)

Sadly, the Unionists in the North succeeded in binning STV as soon as possible in the 1920s, leading to their apartheid state under gerrymandered FPTP for 50 years. Now they have STV again, and everyone seems to be doing fine...
  • Options
    Perhaps the USA should take a leaf out of Ireland's book. Each state's delegates to the Electoral College should be elected by STV. It is up to each state to decide whether to use the Newland-Brittan system, the Meek method, the Scottish system, the Irish system, the Northern Irish system, or other variant.

Then, the Electoral College elects the POTUS and VP by STV (2 vacancies, with a quota of 180), then chooses the POTUS by AV from those two.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    This evening I ended up watching about 20 minutes of WWE wrestling, and I was struck with the contrast between the spectacle of the presentation from 20k seat arenas and when Kent Walton used to emcee wrestling on ITV at 4 on a saturday afternoon, with characters like Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy.

It always seemed to be from public baths or assembly rooms.

I didn't realize at the time, but the UK in the 50s and 60s was a pretty austere place. When I went to work in London at the end of the 60s, there were still a few bomb craters around.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Nine years ago today, I went to the Gielgud Theatre and discovered that Daniel Radcliffe is Jewish.

Surely what you discovered is that DR is circumcised; you inferred he is Jewish.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

This evening I ended up watching about 20 minutes of WWE wrestling, and I was struck with the contrast between the spectacle of the presentation from 20k seat arenas and when Kent Walton used to emcee wrestling on ITV at 4 on a saturday afternoon, with characters like Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy.

I didn't realize at the time, but the UK in the 50s and 60s was a pretty austere place. When I went to work in London at the end of the 60s, there were still a few bomb craters around.

We thank Hermann Goering for our National Car Parks, as the old joke had it. Even in the 1970s there were bomb sites visible in London. Wrestling was indeed staged at assembly halls -- pun intended: a caretaker said he liked the wrestling because no matter what happened, the bill always ended right on time.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited February 2016

JohnLoony said:

Surely what you discovered is that DR is circumcised; you inferred he is Jewish.
    Interestingly Daniel Radcliffe appeared to appear in Sacha Baron Cohen's Film 'Grimsby' catching aids after sitting next to an aids sufferer who was shot and whose blood he accidentally swallowed.

At the end of the film the credits announced 'Daniel Radcliffe was played by a look alike' which answered the question which puzzled me for the second half of the film. Why would he accept a bit part in the most vulgar and tasteless film ever made? And raised another question; Don't actors have a copywrite on themselves?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited February 2016

Tim_B said:

We thank Hermann Goering for our National Car Parks, as the old joke had it. Even in the 1970s there were bomb sites visible in London. Wrestling was indeed staged at assembly halls -- pun intended: a caretaker said he liked the wrestling because no matter what happened, the bill always ended right on time.
    My Gran just would not believe the wrestling was staged. Even aged six, it was apparent to me there must be some reason the ref was having an extended telling-off of one half of a tag team in one corner, while the other half was knocking seven shades out of one of the other team. Until his tag team partner jumped in from the top rope to even things up. And how she cheered, as I shook my head.

But then, my Gran was easily taken in. Voted Labour all her life...
  • Options

And probably also after she gets arrested.

If it's not her, she's going to have the vast majority of the delegates, so they're going to pick a loyal Clintonista, preferably female. Kirsten Gillibrand?
  • Options
    Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Interestingly Daniel Radcliffe appeared to appear in Sacha Baron Cohen's Film 'Grimsby' catching aids after sitting next to an aids sufferer who was shot and whose blood he accidentally swallowed.

At the end of the film the credits announced 'Daniel Radcliffe was played by a look alike' which answered the question which puzzled me for the second half of the film. Why would he accept a bit part in the most vulgar and tasteless film ever made? And raised another question; Don't actors have a copywrite on themselves?
    The film was originally and punningly called The Brothers Grimsby, which was why the town got so much stick. The people of Grimsby seem more pissed off that it was actually filmed in Tilbury. Because it's not so grim up north?

Haven't seen the film yet, but if they didn't use the Grimsby FC supporters chant of "Feeeeesh", they missed some comedy gold.
  • Options

JohnLoony said:

Wikipedia confirms he is, indeed, Jewish, having a Jewish mother
  • Options
    Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

No, actors don't have copyright on themselves. You can't copyright a person.
  • Options
    The success of wrestling was due to giving women the thrill that men get from sport and giving to men the interest that women get from soap operas.
  • Options

The success of wrestling was due to giving women the thrill that men get from sport and giving to men the interest that women get from soap operas.

What fascinated me was that no one ever seemed to get hurt. Until the penny dropped...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030

And probably also after she gets arrested.

If it's not her, she's going to have the vast majority of the delegates, so they're going to pick a loyal Clintonista, preferably female. Kirsten Gillibrand?
    When is the last date for nominations?
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    It's essentially all over in the contest for the Democratic nomination, just like the boat race is usually over by Hammersmith Bridge. The only questions are who she is going face in November and whether he will win (and whether it would be good for the USA if she is trumped). I think that it is highly unlikely that she will be prosecuted for her e-mail "misdemeanour".
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

The film was originally and punningly called The Brothers Grimsby, which was why the town got so much stick. The people of Grimsby seem more pissed off that it was actually filmed in Tilbury. Because it's not so grim up north?

Haven't seen the film yet, but if they didn't use the Grimsby FC supporters chant of "Feeeeesh", they missed some comedy gold.
    When Leicester played Grimsby some years ago the Grimsby fans were singing "we only sing when we're fishing!"

Paradoxically they did not seem to be fishing at the time.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

That's interesting. I once was using a very well known actor as a VO from a very well who turned up drunk. After a short time we realized it just wasn't going to happen so at short notice we got Enn Reitel to do an impersonation which he did perfectly. Unfortunately the ad authorities said they couldn't pass it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

“Inside the room, a man and a woman were wrestling. They were both naked.”
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    edited February 2016
    Massive night for Hillary, +8 delegates over my forecast put her on Sanders.
  • Options
    BBC news headline: 'Hung parliament expected in Ireland'. They sound surprised. They sound ignorant.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

I don't know whether you'd have noticed that even if it had been in. It's not only the most vulgar and un PC film ever made it passes everything else several times over. Don't expect Borat or Ali G because this is in another league. The talk of insulting Grimsby I suspect was used as a distraction. I heard more gasps than laughter
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

That's interesting. I once was using a very well known actor as a VO from a very well who turned up drunk. After a short time we realized it just wasn't going to happen so at short notice we got Enn Reitel to do an impersonation which he did perfectly. Unfortunately the ad authorities said they couldn't pass it.
    Why should an actor have copywrite any more than anyone else? And if people could copywrite themselves that would make life very difficult for real life-based dramas.

It'd be interesting to know why the ad authorities were unhappy with an impersonator given that the original was clearly prepared to do what the imitation did.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Why should an actor have copywrite any more than anyone else? And if people could copywrite themselves that would make life very difficult for real life-based dramas.

It'd be interesting to know why the ad authorities were unhappy with an impersonator given that the original was clearly prepared to do what the imitation did.
    Although there must be an issue with passing off.

Let's say I was a perfect double of Meryl Streep with a stage name of Meryl Streap. If I acted in a lot of films that were absolute turkeys shouldn't she have some protection that her brand equity is being damaged?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

I don't know whether you'd have noticed that even if it had been in. It's not only the most vulgar and un PC film ever made it passes everything else several times over. Don't expect Borat or Ali G because this is in another league. The talk of insulting Grimsby I suspect was used as a distraction
    Something to offend everyone...does SBC manage it again?

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Good news: the Cabinet Secretary's going to be grilled over preventing ministers who disapprove of the EU from seeing documents relating to their own departments:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35680675

*Copyright, incidentally.

There's also an issue over someone's likeness in a digital sense. As CGI gets ever more impressive, we could see games with excellent likenesses of Marilyn Monroe, for example, and there was a minor fuss about Ellie (female lead in The Last Of Us) looking like Ellen Page.
  • Options

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

When Leicester played Grimsby some years ago the Grimsby fans were singing "we only sing when we're fishing!"

Paradoxically they did not seem to be fishing at the time.
    There are now no fishing boats operating out of Grimsby, only vessels registered elsewhere landing their catches.

For years now, the food processing industry has been far more important in the town. But I guess their fans aren't so fired up by a chant of "Peeeeeeeas"
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Just seen a film trailer for OBAMA...Played by Daniel Day Lewis.......Amazing..unless Speilberg is conning everyone
  • Options
    Charles said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Let's say I was a perfect double of Meryl Streep with a stage name of Meryl Streap. If I acted in a lot of films that were absolute turkeys shouldn't she have some protection that her brand equity is being damaged?

Exactly - it's not a copyright issue. It's a passing off one. See the Eddie Irvine case:

http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/Magazine/Issue/53/Country-correspondents/An-imperfect-image
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

I don't know whether you'd have noticed that even if it had been in. It's not only the most vulgar and un PC film ever made it passes everything else several times over. Don't expect Borat or Ali G because this is in another league. The talk of insulting Grimsby I suspect was used as a distraction
    Something to offend everyone...does SBC manage it again?

It starts off gently with SBC in a working mans pub in Grimsby doing a conga with a large firework in his bum....but when you get to him and his screen brother hiding in an elephants vagina as a queue of elephants service the elephant they're hiding in the walk outs start.... Be very circumspect before seeing it with any family member
  • Options
    Charles said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Yes. If there were intention and effect to mislead (but not parody), then there's a case to be had, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Tim_B said:

My Gran just would not believe the wrestling was staged. Even aged six, it was apparent to me there must be some reason the ref was having an extended telling-off of one half of a tag team in one corner, while the other half was knocking seven shades out of one of the other team. Until his tag team partner jumped in from the top rope to even things up. And how she cheered, as I shook my head.

A nice picture of wrestling in past days....
    http://i2.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/160227savilethatcher.jpg
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Tim_B said:

Yes - when I started canvassing in 1968, I was told that if I was caught short, the polite way to put it was, "Is there a loo that I can use?" rather than "May I use your loo?", since that would insensitively suggest that I assumed they had a private loo. It was good advice - once or twice I found myself directed to one of the joint loos for the block, or to a place in the garden. That really isn't case any more, even in the Glasgow tenements.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    VoteLeave
    We are delighted that respected MP Gisela Stuart has agreed to join our board
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Tim_B said:

http://i2.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/160227savilethatcher.jpg
    Tag team from Hell?
  • Options

VoteLeave

That's potentially very significant for the decision which Leave team gets official status.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030

Charles said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Yes. If there were intention and effect to mislead (but not parody), then there's a case to be had, I'd have thought.
    Hasn’t Equity got a rule to that effect?
  • Options

OchEye said:

Tim_B said:

Tag team from Hell?
    New Statesman picture comp coming up...

• Options
    edited February 2016

"He also called for the EU to introduce stronger employment rights to stop the exploitation of migrant workers undercutting wage rates."

Really looking forward to hearing the detail on how that works, Jeremy. Seems migrant workers have to be paid the full wage rates that would apply if there weren't migrants prepared to undercut those rates, huh?

Well, that will stick a nought on the number of migrants looking to come to the EU for a start....
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

There were still prefabs all over the place in the 1970s in London sitting on levelled out bombsites. Around where I lived there were two very magical overgrown bombsites that we used to climb over what seemed at the time to be very high walls to get into. I'm also pretty sure that when I worked in Blackfriars in the 1990s there was still a big bombsite just behind Ludgate Circus going down to Blackfriars tube station. It was a walled off green space that's now been developed.

• Options

"He also called for the EU to introduce stronger employment rights to stop the exploitation of migrant workers undercutting wage rates."

Really looking forward to hearing the detail on how that works, Jeremy. Seems migrant workers have to be paid the full wage rates that would apply if there weren't migrants prepared to undercut those rates, huh?

Well, that will stick a nought on the number of migrants looking to come to the EU for a start....

As if anything Jezza had to say about anything is going to change anything. Like the Labour party he leads the bloke is entirely irrelevant.

• Options
    So, we've had 3 Dem held state contests and 1 republican.

Or 16 Blue EC votes vs 9 Red ones.

Turnout estimates:

877,000 Democrat primaries/Caucus
    1,287,000 GOP primaries/caucus
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

A VO gets a studio fee and then repeats on that fee. A well known voice can command very high fees whereas a standard one doesn't. I imagine if the likes of Enn Reitel could do Ade Edmondson then it would potentially put Ade out of business. And for many big names they make more out of VO's than acting
  • Options
    Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Made the mistake of going to see this last night. A huge comic potential squandered. Just way too crass and unfunny for most of the time.

Definitly NOT recommended

The night before however I saw Deadpool which is a genuinely funny film and we'll worth watching.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Corbyn is also unaware of the Latin saying...Si vis pace para bellum.....If you wish for peace,prepare for war...The man is not only a cretin but a very dangerous one.
  • Options

VoteLeave

That's potentially very significant for the decision which Leave team gets official status.
    They're getting all the grown ups
  • Options
    Interesting typo (I assume) in this Beeb report:

"The counter-protests had been underway for hours before around six KKK members arrived, witnesses reported.

The Klan members held signs that read "White Live Matter" and carried Confederate flags."

Well, it's one way to describe KKK members, I guess. White live matter......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35680881
  • Options
  • Options

VoteLeave

Anyone know what other Labour figures, apart from Kate Hooey, does Grassroots.go have?
  • Options

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Made the mistake of going to see this last night. A huge comic potential squandered. Just way too crass and unfunny for most of the time.

The night before however I saw Deadpool which is a genuinely funny film and we'll worth watching.
    Agree on Deadpool - may even be worth seeing twice as some of the jokes fly by so quickly.

As for Gods of Egypt, as Variety observed Gerard Butler in full scenery chewing mode, if you could chew green screen...
  • Options
    Cameron and Osborne saying how risky and terrible leaving the EU would be makes me wonder why a journalist hasn't asked why, if it's such a risk to the UK, it was in the Conservative manifesto, and something they're allowing a vote on?

[The obvious answer is to outflank UKIP, but they probably won't say that].
  • Options

"The counter-protests had been underway for hours before around six KKK members arrived, witnesses reported.

The Klan members held signs that read "White Live Matter" and carried Confederate flags."

Saved by a Jewish man?

I'll never forget that recent documentary on the KKK which had the members saying Barack Obama was a secret Muslim wanting to convert America to Islam, and that Obama was also secretly controlled by the Jews.
  • Options
    2008 figures cumulative to this point:

Dem 1.145 million
    GOP: 850k
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Suzanne Evans
    500 new @twitter followers this week. Clearly getting sacked (again) has some merits #ThankYouNigel
  • Options

I hadn't thought of the Klan as a subset of albino guinea pigs, but on reflection...

• Options

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Funnily enough Deadpool is now in the 100 most popular films ever. I admired it and could see its attraction but it's really not my taste. The strange thing about Grimsby was that despite finding it not very funny and seriously offensive I couldn't get it out of my head and I found myself laughing at the strangest times and having to explain to people why I'd suddenly burst out laughing
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Jewish and Muslim conspirators are well-known for their close co-operation.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

OchEye said:

Tim_B said:

Tag team from Hell?

Oh! Goodie! Can I enter this one?
    http://i1.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/160227saviletories.jpg
  • Options

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Deadpool was awesome. I have never heard a cinema audience laugh so much during one film.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Wow - that should secure another 5 or 6 votes in Islington.

And lose another 5-600,000 in the Midlands marginals....
  • Options

VoteLeave

Anyone know what other Labour figures, apart from Kate Hooey, does Grassroots.go have?
    Not sure how they split between VL ans GO but there are 10 or so Labour LEAVE MPs. I suspect most will gave joined the VL campaign.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Jewish and Muslim conspirators are well-known for their close co-operation.

You will enjoy the next thread, goes up in the next hour or so.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

VoteLeave

She must think this country in EU is controlled by Germans !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Deadpool was awesome. I have never heard a cinema audience laugh so much during one film.
    Right from the opening credits too, a hilarious film throughout.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited February 2016
    Mr. Eagles, one eagerly anticipates the discovery of which historical event you've misinterpreted this time. ;)
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Tim_B said:

Tag team from Hell?

Oh! Goodie! Can I enter this one?
    http://i1.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/160227saviletories.jpg
    When I see Jimmy Savile, I just think: Respect....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jimmy-savile-death-tv-legend-88655
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

BBC news headline: 'Hung parliament expected in Ireland'. They sound surprised. They sound ignorant.

Surprisingly, we paid very little attention to this in the run-up.
  • Options
    F1: Test 2: Test Harder is the four days from the 1st of March (inclusive), then there's a fortnight from that to the season's start.

I plan on putting up a pre-season piece at enormo-haddock.blogspot.com.
  • Options
    If it is Osborne, he might not get many votes in 2020.

Corbyn will get even less.

9 mill vs 7.5 mill coming up.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,537
    edited February 2016

Mr. Eagles, one eagerly anticipates the discovery of which historical event you've misinterpreted this time. ;)

Bah, you'll soon find out again how awesome my classical history knowledge is.

It features, orgies, cannibalism, Monty Python and some hot EURef action.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Right from the opening credits too, a hilarious film throughout.
    I've seen it several times, and it just keeps on getting better.
  • Options

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Did you not see Airplane!

Might give Deadpool a look, is it really that funny, would a 60 year old bloke like me enjoy it or is it aimed at a younger audience?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Pulpstar said:

Not sure about Osbo, but convinced no more than 6.5m would wake up on polling day and think 'well, I know he is fond of dubious organisations, can't do up his tie, wants to think about giving away British territories, talks about joining up with other hard left European parties, refuses to sing the national anthem, is more concerned about launching nuclear subs without missiles and is basically the political branch of the STWC, but I'll vote for him today'.

This may be my Sion Simon moment, of course.....
  • Options

Roger said:

JohnLoony said:

Did you not see Airplane!

Might give Deadpool a look, is it really that funny, would a 60 year old bloke like me enjoy it or is it aimed at a younger audience?
    It is aimed for audiences of all ages. It breaks down the fourth wall, which helps.

You don't have to be a comic book fan/immersed in the X-Men universe to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,871

VoteLeave

Vote Leave have the major players on the Leave side, now.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I bet it doesn't have the hot lesbian cannibalism of Journey to Altmortis [written by me and available on Amazon].

Speaking of which, hoping The Adventures of Sir Edric (Volume One) will be out in the next month or two. It's crammed with frisky elves, daring deeds, and plots twistier than an anaconda contortionist.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Not sure about Osbo, but convinced no more than 6.5m would wake up on polling day and think 'well, I know he is fond of dubious organisations, can't do up his tie, wants to think about giving away British territories, talks about joining up with other hard left European parties, refuses to sing the national anthem, is more concerned about launching nuclear subs without missiles and is basically the political branch of the STWC, but I'll vote for him today'.

This may be my Sion Simon moment, of course.....
    Pol Pot & Hitler's love child would get 6.5 million with a red rosette.

We'll see the hard minima for Labour's vote anyhow.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

So, we've had 3 Dem held state contests and 1 republican.

Or 16 Blue EC votes vs 9 Red ones.

Turnout estimates:

877,000 Democrat primaries/Caucus
    1,287,000 GOP primaries/caucus

That framing's a bit misleading because you've got three small states won by the Dems by tight margins against one medium-sized state won by the GOP by a large margin. Add up the combined presidential votes in the four states combined and Obama and Romney got about the same. Not only that, two of the "Dem" states were caucuses that only attract 4 people and a dog, so what really matters is the primary sample consisting of NH + SC, which by population is actually quite heavily GOP-leaning.
  • Options

Suzanne Evans
    500 new @twitter followers this week. Clearly getting sacked (again) has some merits #ThankYouNigel

No love lost there.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: IDS sets down "red lines" to the EU under Brexit, no trade deals unless UK can hinder freedom of movement. Bold, minister. #Marr
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited February 2016

Remember though that it's on public record that the Labour leadership (ie Corbyn and McDonnell) don't believe in borders and think everyone should be allowed to move anywhere.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

VoteLeave

Vote Leave have the major players on the Leave side, now.
    And still a month in which to poach a few of the Grassroots players, before the EC decision. Some must surely be thinking "oooooops....." Farage and Galloway off in their own little play pen would be the ideal outcome.
  • Options
    Ian Duncan Smith says on Marr that once we are out the EU will agree a trade deal allowing us to ristrict free movement of labour but cannot show any evidence of this. This is wing and a prayer stuff
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @edmundintokyo The turnout figures are pretty much a reverse of 2008 though.

In fact Democrat turnout was higher in 2008 in South Carolina than the Republican turnout there !

2012 is not being used here as Obama had a virtual walkover.
This discussion has been closed.