Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » EURef Myth-busting: laying to death some persistent memes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » EURef Myth-busting: laying to death some persistent memes

Ipsos-MORI polled the public in November 2014 asking whether David Cameron would get a good deal for Britain in Europe.  69% said that they were either not at all confident or not very confident that he would do.  Only 26% were either fairly confident or very confident.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2016
    First......again!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second, like Leave!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Third, like UKIP!
  • Options
    At risk of generalising from a sample of one, I'm reasonably politically engaged but haven't the foggiest idea what David Cameron's negotiation was intended to achieve, so cannot really say to what extent he succeeded or failed.
  • Options
    Looking at 6m averages for 'Immigration' and 'EU' there also does not appear to be any strong correlation - despite the big jump in 'Immigration':

Going back in time: Immigration/EU
    49 / 10
    41 / 10
    38 / 9.5
    36 / 7

Although if you picked the first and last pairs.......

As to 'myths' - they defy logical dismissal.......(I did my MA on the role of myths in cinematic history...)
  • Options
    Yawn.
  • Options
    Seventh like the Lib Dems
  • Options
    Morning all.

Cheers Mr Meeks - Can I be the first to say: Lies, damned lies, and statistics" :lol:

• Options

Morning all.

Cheers Mr Meeks - Can I be the first to say: Lies, damned lies, and statistics" :lol:

Myths maybe false in reality, but since when has politics been about reality?

I cannot see this being a very edifying 6 months politically.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    LOL

a bit light on client work at the moment Alistair ?
  • Options
    FPT @Moses: I think Guido is a bit optimistic - and a few MPs may be messing with him, because he's Guido. 152 MPs being outers would mean almost 50% of the entire parliamentary party would declare as such:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vp6viBi5DA4avMgR2Y8lKrrAUqJp-0zL2LZB6iVD3uU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=450656551

Where's the evidence for Tracey Crouch, Nus Ghani, Robert Jenrick, Charlotte Leslie, Kit Malthouse, Caroline Noakes (daughter of big eu-phile) being for Out? I haven't googled it.

The note next to Mark Pritchard's name is funny. I'm surprised if James Wharton is still on the fence; I'd have thought he'd be for Out.

However, I do think a majority of the non-payroll vote will declare for Leave, just.

I need to write to Ranil Jayawardena (my local MP, who Dan Hannan has a lot of time for and is a huge patriot) if he hasn't declared yet.

My best is around 110-120 Tory MPs publicly declaring for Leave.
  • Options

FPT @Moses: I think Guido is a bit optimistic - and a few MPs may be messing with him, because he's Guido. 152 MPs being outers would mean almost 50% of the entire parliamentary party would declare as such:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vp6viBi5DA4avMgR2Y8lKrrAUqJp-0zL2LZB6iVD3uU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=450656551

Where's the evidence for Tracey Crouch, Nus Ghani, Robert Jenrick, Charlotte Leslie, Kit Malthouse, Caroline Noakes (daughter of big eu-phile) being for Out? I haven't googled it.

The note next to Mark Pritchard's name is funny. I'm surprised if James Wharton is still on the fence; I'd have thought he'd be for Out.

However, I do think a majority of the non-payroll vote will declare for Leave, just.

I need to write to Ranil Jayawardena (my local MP, who Dan Hannan has a lot of time for and is a huge patriot) if he hasn't declared yet.

I see Hertsmere's chap Oliver Dowden is down as ND.
    Would be somewhat surprised but delighted if he ends up in the OUT column.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Strait banana Myth: busted ( as explained by an expert)

http://tinyurl.com/ho4ohq5
  • Options
    Talking of myths & reality......Scottish 'Yes' voters in SindyRef believe that an independent Scotland would now be better off (net) +41 (unlike 'No' voters: -72), and that a further SindyRef in the next five years will be good for the economy at +41 (-75) and business +39 (-73).........

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/g3iiy275ch/ScotlandInUnion_160212_WebsiteV2.pdf
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,968
    Re Myth 1. If people expected a bad deal, you might have expected it to be " priced in" to the polling. Clearly it wasn't, as public opinion has shifted to Leave, in the aftermath.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited February 2016

At risk of generalising from a sample of one, I'm reasonably politically engaged but haven't the foggiest idea what David Cameron's negotiation was intended to achieve, so cannot really say to what extent he succeeded or failed.

Alot of technical stuff, some platitudes about being excluded from ever closer union - and an unworkable failure for child benefit.

It's gone over my head too. 99.9% of the public won't understand it either.

A negotiation for real reform would take much longer. Much much longer.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    "9% said that they were either not at all confident or not very confident that he would do. Only 26% were either fairly confident or very confident."

Well there's a difference between "not confident he will" and "confident he won't". Were there any polls which asked the question more directly?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited February 2016
    Interesting piece.

Personally I don't like the "otherwise intelligent people" bit as the implication is that the writer is intelligent in every sphere, which is slightly CiF-ish.

Secondly, I might not like immigration and might think the EU was responsible. if I was a normal human being and not a political geek and someone then asked me for a poll about my concerns I would allocate precisely enough attention to it to register my views on immigration. I would then not need to elaborate for the pollsters' benefit my first derivative views, or bother to be consistent in my answers because it would be logical to do so. I might even lose interest in the poll altogether after that.

So sorry Alistair, but I don't buy it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alot of technical stuff, some platitudes about being excluded from ever closer union - and an unworkable failure for child benefit.

I think that's a very good point. Such long lasting deals are not going to be done in a few weeks or months. The problem here of course is that the EU has stated that MEPs can overrule any agreement in a later vote which will only take place after the referendum. Apparently this is because they are "democratic". That makes any deal weak if not meaningless because it's not a deal but an aspiration.

However we have been here before. Tony Blair gave away some of the hard won rebate under the understanding and agreement that CAP would be reformed. France amongst others is one of the great beneficiaries of CAP due to their farming systems. As far as I am aware little or nothing changed with CAP to any noticeable amount after the rebate was surrendered.

It will be the same this time. Precisely the same promises and deals and when everyone looks the other way it will be all back on the gravy train at Brussels. History repeats.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I think the Bluffer's Guide is to look serious, possibly pained and say If Only He'd Stuck To His Bloomberg Speech.

I can't remember a word of it myself.

• Options
    surely calculating a correlation coefficient would give a better idea?
  • Options

Talking of myths & reality......Scottish 'Yes' voters in SindyRef believe that an independent Scotland would now be better off (net) +41 (unlike 'No' voters: -72), and that a further SindyRef in the next five years will be good for the economy at +41 (-75) and business +39 (-73).........

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/g3iiy275ch/ScotlandInUnion_160212_WebsiteV2.pdf

well, assuming the Sindy ref took place in the wake of Brexit, and being in the EU is important for the economy, Sindy ref -> being in the EU = good for the economy and business n'est-ce pas?

harder to argue for the "better off now" part
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I think the Bluffer's Guide is to look serious, possibly pained and say If Only He'd Stuck To His Bloomberg Speech.

I can't remember a word of it myself.

This was the original plan or key demands. I guess any agreement should be measured agains this keeping in mind this was a pretty weak starting point anyway IMHO with exception of point 1 perhaps?. Remember any agreement can also be voted down by MEPs after the referendum result.

"Cabinet sources have told the Telegraph they are confident they can find a way to keep Britain inside the EU with better terms of membership. Their plan involves:

Forcing Brussels to make “an explicit statement” that Britain will be kept out of any move towards a European superstate. This will require an exemption for the UK from the EU’s founding principle of “ever closer union”.

An “explicit statement” that the euro is not the official currency of the EU, making clear that Europe is a “multi-currency” union. Ministers want this declaration in order to protect the status of the pound sterling as a legitimate currency that will always exist.

A new “red card” system to bring power back from Brussels to Britain. This would give groups of national parliaments the power to stop unwanted directives being handed down and to scrap existing EU laws.

A new structure for the EU itself. The block of 28 nations must be reorganised to prevent the nine countries that are not in the eurozone being dominated by the 19 member states that are, with particular protections for the City of London"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11924603/David-Camerons-four-key-demands-to-remain-in-the-EU-revealed.html
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

I think that's a very good point. Such long lasting deals are not going to be done in a few weeks or months. The problem here of course is that the EU has stated that MEPs can overrule any agreement in a later vote which will only take place after the referendum. Apparently this is because they are "democratic". That makes any deal weak if not meaningless because it's not a deal but an aspiration.

However we have been here before. Tony Blair gave away some of the hard won rebate under the understanding and agreement that CAP would be reformed. France amongst others is one of the great beneficiaries of CAP due to their farming systems. As far as I am aware little or nothing changed with CAP to any noticeable amount after the rebate was surrendered.

It will be the same this time. Precisely the same promises and deals and when everyone looks the other way it will be all back on the gravy train at Brussels. History repeats.
    What I can't understand is that going into the GE there was a statement that if the Tories won, there would be a renegotiation of our relationship with the EU. This would not be rushed and negotiations would be substantive, taking up to 2 years. Why the rush to get a bad deal quickly?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

Re Myth 1. If people expected a bad deal, you might have expected it to be " priced in" to the polling. Clearly it wasn't, as public opinion has shifted to Leave, in the aftermath.

"shifted to Leave"? Surely that must be a myth?
  • Options

well, assuming the Sindy ref took place in the wake of Brexit, and being in the EU is important for the economy, Sindy ref -> being in the EU = good for the economy and business n'est-ce pas?

harder to argue for the "better off now" part
    I'm not sure having trade barriers with its single biggest (by orders of magnitude) trading partner would be good for either Scotland's economy or business......
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

What I can't understand is that going into the GE there was a statement that if the Tories won, there would be a renegotiation of our relationship with the EU. This would not be rushed and negotiations would be substantive, taking up to 2 years. Why the rush to get a bad deal quickly?
    Merkels open invite to the World? The illegal migrant situation probably will get worse certainly over the summer this year. Best to get a vote now before people pick up on it. It does go against the myth in the thread header though.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    When approximately 50% of our migration comes from the EU to suggest there is not some link between EU membership and immigration is frankly ridiculous. To take one example we now have approximately 1m Poles living in the UK and Polish speciality shops are commonplace in our towns and cities. As a middle class professional this has mainly been good news for me as the Poles in the main are hardworking, law abiding, low profile people who try hard to assimilate and provide good services. Of course if I had found building work, casual work or a trade a lot harder to come by in the last decade I may have a different view.

Those that are opposed to the EU repeatedly demand that we must get back control of our borders. Whether they can in fact do that or not is a complicated issue connected to where we would go next if we vote to leave the EU but there is no question that it is one of Leave's driving forces that has helped the polls swing in their direction of late.

As a supporter of membership of the EEA I find all this a bit awkward because any controls brought in in that scenario will be extremely limited but to suggest that the next 5 months are not going to be dominated by the immigration debate, rightly or wrongly, is just silly.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited February 2016
    "Myth 1: Cameron’s deal has been unexpectedly badly received"

Am I missing something? I can't recall anyone saying that the PM's deal being badly received was unexpected. I thought the accusation was that we were expecting the deal to be bad and that somehow this undermined the PM's efforts.

EDIT: That said, Sean F's point about the renegotiation being priced into the polls is a good one - I think it's fair to say that something's made the polls move towards leave in the last few weeks - Cameron's renegotiation has probably contributed to it.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

(snip)

This is actually another myth of sorts. The proportion of the EU budget which is spent on CAP has been falling since 1984 and is continuing on a downward trend: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/cap-post-2013/graphs/graph1_en.pdf

There have been numerous reforms of the CAP in recent years and the various lakes and mountains of the 80s are now a distant memory. Much of the support still given to agriculture is focussed on matters other than production such as conservation.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Cameron cannot possibly negotiate a satisfactory deal and we will leave..we should now be preparing for that event..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

On myth 1, the reception to the draft deal certainly threw Downing Street: they expected leads of 20+% after Cameron announced it and are baffled as to why that hasn't happened. But are mainly blaming it on negative press.

On myth 2, the ITV poll from yesterday shows the top concern (at 53%) of all respondents voting on the EU was control of our borders and migration

Myths: confirmed.
  • Options
    On the sharp drop in Cameron's rating, it must include some element of WTF to his great deal claims a la defence against North Korea, ISIS...
    tlg86 said:

Am I missing something? I can't recall anyone saying that the PM's deal being badly received was unexpected. I thought the accusation was that we were expecting the deal to be bad and that somehow this undermined the PM's efforts.

EDIT: That said, Sean F's point about the renegotiation being priced into the polls is a good one - I think it's fair to say that something's made the polls move towards leave in the last few weeks - Cameron's renegotiation has probably contributed to it.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Cameron could have benefitted from the low expectations. He could have produced a rabbit out of the hat. But, I think he completely misjudged what the reaction of the right wing Press, and public opinion would be, if he returned with little, and then completely oversold it.
  • Options
    Sky's Poll of Polls showing 42 Remain 42 Leave 16 DK
  • Options
    DavidL said:

When approximately 50% of our migration comes from the EU to suggest there is not some link between EU membership and immigration is frankly ridiculous. To take one example we now have approximately 1m Poles living in the UK and Polish speciality shops are commonplace in our towns and cities. As a middle class professional this has mainly been good news for me as the Poles in the main are hardworking, law abiding, low profile people who try hard to assimilate and provide good services. Of course if I had found building work, casual work or a trade a lot harder to come by in the last decade I may have a different view.

Those that are opposed to the EU repeatedly demand that we must get back control of our borders. Whether they can in fact do that or not is a complicated issue connected to where we would go next if we vote to leave the EU but there is no question that it is one of Leave's driving forces that has helped the polls swing in their direction of late.

As a supporter of membership of the EEA I find all this a bit awkward because any controls brought in in that scenario will be extremely limited but to suggest that the next 5 months are not going to be dominated by the immigration debate, rightly or wrongly, is just silly.

Just to clarify a point about the Polish.

In this area we have had Polish here since the late 1930's. They fled Poland on or before the German invasion to continue the fight from here. They helped build and then worked in local shadow factories throughout the war which made component parts for spitfires and there are road names now relating to that huge contribution. Some went home but many remained here after the war. I went to school with two Polish lads whose Grandfathers were amongst those that came over.

The local polish club they used still stands and is used to this day. The bar is adorned with photos of the men that came over and the Polish flags and military regimental flags they brought with them plus the factories they worked.

It Should be noted that the last military charge in battle by horse was the Polish mounted regiment who despite the odds and futility charged the German infantry which at the time were supported by Panzers. They also then formed spitfire squadrons during the Battle of Britain.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Cameron could have benefitted from the low expectations. He could have produced a rabbit out of the hat. But, I think he completely misjudged what the reaction of the right wing Press, and public opinion would be, if he returned with little, and then completely oversold it.
    Overselling it - then the panicked "Camps in Kent" when it went badly were possibly even more damaging than the deal itself....
  • Options

Sky's Poll of Polls showing 42 Remain 42 Leave 16 DK

I don't really trust the polls on this one :)

Who knows !
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

In this area we have had Polish here since the late 1930's. They fled Poland on or before the German invasion to continue the fight from here. They helped build and then worked in local shadow factories throughout the war which made component parts for spitfires and there are road names now relating to that huge contribution. Some went home but many remained here after the war. I went to school with two Polish lads whose Grandfathers were amongst those that came over.

The local polish club they used still stands and is used to this day. The bar is adorned with photos of the men that came over and the Polish flags and military regimental flags they brought with them plus the factories they worked.

It Should be noted that the last military charge in battle by horse was the Polish mounted regiment who despite the odds and futility charged the German infantry which at the time were supported by Panzers. They also then formed spitfire squadrons during the Battle of Britain.
    There was a well established Polish community in Fife as well but it has been completely dwarfed by recent movements. Polish speciality shops in Dundee have only sprung up in the last 10 years to meet the new demand. As I say I have no problem with them whatsoever but it is not my lunch they are eating.
  • Options
    If insider reports are to be believed, then Cameron's deal has been unexpectedly badly received if you are in Downing Street. Maybe the Prime Minister didn't see the same polls as Mr Meeks?

The 2015 Conservative Manifesto says this (together with my scorecard):

Real change in our relationship with the European Union FAILED

Our commitment to you:

For too long, your voice has been ignored on Europe. We will:

- give you a say over whether we should stay in or leave the EU, with an in-out referendum
    by the end of 2017

- commit to keeping the pound and staying out of the Eurozone

- reform the workings of the EU, which is too big, too bossy and too bureaucratic FAILED

- reclaim power from Brussels on your behalf and safeguard British interests in the Single Market FAILED

back businesses to create jobs in Britain by completing ambitious trade deals and reducing red tape. FAILED

"after the election, we will negotiate a new settlement for Britain in Europe, and then ask the British people whether they want to stay in the EU on this reformed basis or leave"

A new settlement for Britain in Europe. This is what the Prime Minister is being judged against. This is the bench-mark against which the Prime Minister's efforts are being judged. It is why the Prime Minister felt he had to insult our intelligence y lying that the deal he achieved was such a great more forward in our relations with the EU. And insulting our intelligence is why the media gave his efforts such a roasting.

Bear this manifesto commitment in mind when the final deal is unveiled. The only myth is that Cameron has achieved A New Settlement for Britain in Europe.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

That makes sense if you think that waiting will mean you get a worse deal.

I have to say, though, that on the topic of the EU Mr Meeks is rapidly reaching the "must read" status of Mr Brind.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Every time I heard Cameron say during the election campaign "the only way to get a referendum is to vote Tory" I chuckled thinking "you're not going to win a majority". It must have been at about 4am on May 8th when I realized that a Tory majority would mean this referendum would actually happen.

I wonder how much thought Cameron and his team put into how they would approach the referendum if they did win a majority? Maybe I'm being unfair, but given they weren't expecting to win a majority I don't think much thought went into the referendum.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

Out of interest, both the Germans and the Red Army had substantial cavalry forces in WWII.
  • Options
    I forgot that one, ridiculous. That sort of stupidity was beyond even a PB joke suggestion.

When claims so patently absurd are made, I find myself thinking WTF? Reading them again, still thinking WTF and wondering what sort of nitwit came up with them.

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Overselling it - then the panicked "Camps in Kent" when it went badly were possibly even more damaging than the deal itself....
  • Options
    Strange that Alastair Meeks dion't look into any of the myths painted by Remain side, like ever closer union opt-out existing or jungle camps in Calais or prices rising if we left based.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

I have to say, though, that on the topic of the EU Mr Meeks is rapidly reaching the "must read" status of Mr Brind.
    A low blow sir......but not entirely without merit.......
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

There was a well established Polish community in Fife as well but it has been completely dwarfed by recent movements. Polish speciality shops in Dundee have only sprung up in the last 10 years to meet the new demand. As I say I have no problem with them whatsoever but it is not my lunch they are eating.

Sorry MrD never meant to infer you did.

We also have a Polish shop and public signs in the local park are in Polish as well. The local surgery has an electronic booking system you have to self check in when you arrive for the appointment (very good it is too) . I do note that you can now select your language of choice on the screen by selecting one of the two flags shown , the Union Jack or the Polish flag. :lol:

• Options
    Well I laughed.

Blue_rog said:

Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

A low blow sir......but not entirely without merit.......
  • Options

And people complain about my claim that the Hard Right awards itself a monopoly of patriotism...

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited February 2016

If insider reports are to be believed, then Cameron's deal has been unexpectedly badly received if you are in Downing Street. Maybe the Prime Minister didn't see the same polls as Mr Meeks?

Our commitment to you:

- give you a say over whether we should stay in or leave the EU, with an in-out referendum
    by the end of 2017

- reform the workings of the EU, which is too big, too bossy and too bureaucratic FAILED

- reclaim power from Brussels on your behalf and safeguard British interests in the Single Market FAILED

back businesses to create jobs in Britain by completing ambitious trade deals and reducing red tape. FAILED

"after the election, we will negotiate a new settlement for Britain in Europe, and then ask the British people whether they want to stay in the EU on this reformed basis or leave"

A new settlement for Britain in Europe. This is what the Prime Minister is being judged against. This is the bench-mark against which the Prime Minister's efforts are being judged. It is why the Prime Minister felt he had to insult our intelligence y lying that the deal he achieved was such a great more forward in our relations with the EU. And insulting our intelligence is why the media gave his efforts such a roasting.

Bear this manifesto commitment in mind when the final deal is unveiled. The only myth is that Cameron has achieved A New Settlement for Britain in Europe.

Cameron has codified no greater political or economic union, no enforced membership of the euro or of the banking union, greater subsidiarity, no joint defence, a strong internal market and something (faffy) on benefits.

Are people, who might otherwise advocate EEA membership, really going to leave because we give the daughter of a Romanian plumber £20/week vs the £3-odd they'd get if the plumber was in Romania?

(yes, I'm heading back over to In-waverer)

Edit: I still think Cam has misplayed this.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Every time I heard Cameron say during the election campaign "the only way to get a referendum is to vote Tory" I chuckled thinking "you're not going to win a majority". It must have been at about 4am on May 8th when I realized that a Tory majority would mean this referendum would actually happen.

I wonder how much thought Cameron and his team put into how they would approach the referendum if they did win a majority? Maybe I'm being unfair, but given they weren't expecting to win a majority I don't think much thought went into the referendum.
    The ideal result would have been a renewed Coalition, with the Lib Dems blocking the Referendum.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

Out of interest, both the Germans and the Red Army had substantial cavalry forces in WWII.
    I think that they were deployed as highly mobile mounted infantry though.

I think that the British army in 1939 was the only one with fully motorised transport. The German infantry relied very heavily on horse drawn transport. Ditto the Red Army, though they became heavily motorised by the end of the war, particularly with American trucks.

• Options
    Republican Donald Trump will not be president because it's a "serious job", President Barack Obama has said.
    "I continue to believe that Mr Trump will not be president. And the reason is because I have a lot of faith in the American people," said Mr Obama

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-35592948
  • Options

Strange that Alastair Meeks dion't look into any of the myths painted by Remain side, like ever closer union opt-out existing or jungle camps in Calais or prices rising if we left based.

Prices could rise as I think the £ goes lower in the short-medium term on Brexit.

But my employer is an exporter so that's a positive for me.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Meeks,

An interesting read.

Could I add Myth Number Three .... The population voted in 1975 for eventual political union as stated by Dr Palmer and one or two others on here.

They did not, they voted for an economic and trading bloc - as admitted by Chuka last night. He also believes that Dave's negotiations will prevent political union. Naïve, or political expediency?

Former presidents of the European Union have stated that political union is the eventual aim, and has always been. We were lied to in 1975 and I think forty years is a reasonable time to nurse a grievance.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Meeks,

An interesting read.

Could I add Myth Number Three .... The population voted in 1975 for eventual political union as stated by Dr Palmer and one or two others on here.

They did not, they voted for an economic and trading bloc - as admitted by Chuka last night. He also believes that Dave's negotiations will prevent political union. Naïve, or political expediency?

Former presidents of the European Union have stated that political union is the eventual aim, and has always been. We were lied to in 1975 and I think forty years is a reasonable time to nurse a grievance.

How long before it becomes unreasonable?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

The ideal result would have been a renewed Coalition, with the Lib Dems blocking the Referendum.
    I don't think so. We are entering fantasy politics, but a referendum would have been part of any agreement. It is not something that Cameron could have dropped.

I think that he should have had a proper 2 year renegotiation to allow the deal to be thrashed out in detail by proper negotiators and agreed by all parties before being ratified by all, with ratification in the UK contingent on a referendum. Either that or a referendum on existing terms. Cameron has managed a terrible muddle, with half-arsed renegotiations that have offended both Leavers and Remainers. An uncharacteristicly incompetent performance by him.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Republican Donald Trump will not be president because it's a "serious job", President Barack Obama has said.
    "I continue to believe that Mr Trump will not be president. And the reason is because I have a lot of faith in the American people," said Mr Obama

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-35592948

Tis a serious job, says the Pres who's appeared in more films and TV shows than any other.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Meeks,

An interesting read.

My dad takes great pride in having seen through it in 1975. He voted No and has waited more than forty years for the chance to vote again.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,263
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

It was in my head that the last big cavalry charge was in the east but I thought it was carried out by the Red Army. In fact it was the Italians (so much for the old 5 reverse gears crack).

'With sabers drawn, about 600 Italian cavalrymen yelled out their traditional battle cry of “Savoia!” and galloped headlong toward 2,000 Soviet foot soldiers armed with machine guns and mortars. On August 23, 1942 (some sources say August 24), the cavalrymen—part of the Axis invasion of the Soviet Union during World War II— were attempting to close a gap that had opened up between the Italian and German armies along the Don River.'

http://tinyurl.com/ju2szaa
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562
    Skimmed the article. Same referring to things no-one has ever argued. I see 'straight bananas' even got thrown in at the end. Sure that always gets a laugh at Lib Dem rallies (or whatever the five of them get up to now).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Meeks,

An interesting read.

My dad takes great pride in having seen through it in 1975. He voted No and has waited more than forty years for the chance to vote again.
    So Cammo's performance is irrelevant to you. Your vote is an act of homage to your father...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited February 2016

I see 'straight bananas' even got thrown in at the end. Sure that always gets a laugh at Lib Dem rallies (or whatever the five of them get up to now).

Ouch! :smiley:

This article looks a little bit desperate I have to say...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    @Southam

I'm hearing PSOE + C coalition very close the announcement in Spain.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Abroad,

"How long before it becomes unreasonable?"

For politicians ... when the voters have forgotten their lies. I remember it well, and I was a Europhile in 1975. as were most people. The question was asked at the time and the questioners were dismissed as swivel-eyed conspiracy theorists. I too dismissed them as such.

In retrospect, the population was "unprepared" for the truth, so it happened on a piecemeal basis with the lie being perpetuated for forty years. These weren't evasions, these were direct lies. I'm not talking about political answers. If they are prepared to continually lie over that period (fair play to Chuka - although he wasn't born in 1975), why should we believe the project has suddenly been abandoned?

• Options
    edited February 2016

Sean_F said:

I knew the last big cavalry charge was in the east but thought it was carried out by the Red Army. In fact it was the Italians (so much for the old 5 reverse gears crack).

'With sabers drawn, about 600 Italian cavalrymen yelled out their traditional battle cry of “Savoia!” and galloped headlong toward 2,000 Soviet foot soldiers armed with machine guns and mortars. On August 23, 1942 (some sources say August 24), the cavalrymen—part of the Axis invasion of the Soviet Union during World War II— were attempting to close a gap that had opened up between the Italian and German armies along the Don River.'

Ok stands corrected. Beats my 1939 Polish charge then by a couple of years.

"At the beginning of the conflict, (WW2) Polish lancers purportedly attacked a German infantry battalion (but not tanks, as Nazi propaganda would have us believe) and suffered predictably disastrous results. "

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I wish I could locate the Telegraph article intv where this was confirmed. It was years ago and caused quite a fuss.

It was with one of the French big players saying that political union and currency union were obviously necessary, but voters weren't ready for it.
    CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

For politicians ... when the voters have forgotten their lies. I remember it well, and I was a Europhile in 1975. as were most people. The question was asked at the time and the questioners were dismissed as swivel-eyed conspiracy theorists. I too dismissed them as such.

In retrospect, the population was "unprepared" for the truth, so it happened on a piecemeal basis with the lie being perpetuated for forty years. These weren't evasions, these were direct lies. I'm not talking about political answers. If they are prepared to continually lie over that period (fair play to Chuka - although he wasn't born in 1975), why should we believe the project has suddenly been abandoned?

• Options
    Moses_ said:

Sean_F said:

I knew the last big cavalry charge was in the east but thought it was carried out by the Red Army. In fact it was the Italians (so much for the old 5 reverse gears crack).

"At the beginning of the conflict, (WW2) Polish lancers purportedly attacked a German infantry battalion (but not tanks, as Nazi propaganda would have us believe) and suffered predictably disastrous results. "

Shows how myths take hold, and slightly inconvenient truths get forgotten.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Our commitment to you:

by the end of 2017

Cameron has codified no greater political or economic union, no enforced membership of the euro or of the banking union, greater subsidiarity, no joint defence, a strong internal market and something (faffy) on benefits.

Are people, who might otherwise advocate EEA membership, really going to leave because we give the daughter of a Romanian plumber £20/week vs the £3-odd they'd get if the plumber was in Romania?

I'm spending this week traipsing round Europe, talking to a handful of Germans, Italians French and Dutch about this how mess we're in. The firm view is that the Eurozone *will* vote as a block. It just will happen - and that means Britain is automatically outvoted on every issue. Nothing else really matters - Cameron's got us nothing on the fundamental issue.

If the EU doesn't want to address our legitimate concerns, that's their right. But it shifts the balance for me away from partnership to friendship - and from Remain to Leave.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Meeks,

An interesting read.

So Cammo's performance is irrelevant to you. Your vote is an act of homage to your father...
    I think we're all influenced by those who bring us up. If Cameron had been serious about this he'd have spent more time on it. You can't rush through major changes in a matter of weeks. As far as I'm concerned Cameron is doing this for show, but really he thinks we should stay in come what may.

It is true that it would have taken a lot to get me to vote Remain, but I'm not to blame for Cameron's feeble effort.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    How do they measure this when they say a Vanilla latte had 20 teaspoonfuls of sugar in it. That would surely fill the cup you drank it out of with sugar on its own let alone any other ingredients. A coffee Thai has 26 !!
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Sean_F said:

Edit: golly, I'm almost on topic.
  • Options
    I'd love to read a thread penned by you on this.
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Our commitment to you:

Snip

I'm spending this week traipsing round Europe, talking to a handful of Germans, Italians French and Dutch about this how mess we're in. The firm view is that the Eurozone *will* vote as a block. It just will happen - and that means Britain is automatically outvoted on every issue. Nothing else really matters - Cameron's got us nothing on the fundamental issue.

If the EU doesn't want to address our legitimate concerns, that's their right. But it shifts the balance for me away from partnership to friendship - and from Remain to Leave.
  • Options

I wish I could locate the Telegraph article intv where this was confirmed. It was years ago and caused quite a fuss.

It was with one of the French big players saying that political union and currency union were obviously necessary, but voters weren't ready for it.

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

It was not an entirely serious question.

We have never had a referendum on the EU, as what existed in 1975 was the EEC.

I have just discovered that the EU is committed to equality as a core value, so perhaps the only surprise should be that any Tory or Kipper is prepared to support it.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

Wasn't that Giscard d'Estaing?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Sean_F said:

Edit: golly, I'm almost on topic.
    If it's any consolation I thought your comment was actually very good :wink:
  • Options
    Imagine how many spoons of sugar are in fruit juices...
    Moses_ said:

How do they measure this when they say a Vanilla latte had 20 teaspoonfuls of sugar in it. That would surely fill the cup you drank it out of with sugar on its own let alone any other ingredients. A coffee Thai has 26 !!

• Options
    TOPPING said:

You have a touching faith in these "codified" changes.

If the EU had TRIED to enforce greater political or economic union, we would have told them where to get off.

If the EU had TRIED to enforce the UK's membership of the Euro, or of the banking union, we would have told them where to get off.

Same with a European Army. These aren't "wins" by Cameron. They are just the EU admitting where we won't need to tell them to "Fuck off!"

It is not the promised New Settlement for Britain in Europe.
  • Options
    Oh, could be. Will have a hunt.
    Charles said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

Wasn't that Giscard d'Estaing?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

It's *not* latte.

It's *Chai* latte. A totally different drink - one, like many Indian drinks, is completely laced with sugar.

I occasionally have a small glass with a curry on a Sunday, but would never drink it in that quantity.

It's just a pressure group choosing the worst possible outcome to get headlines
  • Options

I'd love to read a thread penned by you on this.

Charles said:

Thanks - but too busy right now helping my friends spend money :)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    So Cameron and the EU have lived down to expectations resulting in a further shift to leave, followed by a lengthy, "I don't want to believe that my fellow citizens consider the EU to be part of the immigration problem."

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Quite! However, one thing is undoubtedly true: Alastair Meeks (on this very unimportant! matter) has not shifted.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

There is an app you can use on your phone that scans a products bar code and then informs you in spoons how much sugar it contains.
    As always blowed if I can find it now.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

The solubility of sugar in water is 180mg per 100ml at room temperature, more when it is boiling. If a teaspoon is 5mg then it is highly feasible to have 26 teaspoons in a 500ml drink.

Public Health England has released a great new app that scans barcodes and translates these to teaspoons of sugar called Sugar Smart. It is both Apple and Android and scans barcodes. Have a play with it in your pantry. It can be quite alarming. It covers branded products much better than supermarkets own though.

• Options
    I always thought chai tea would make a nice syrup to pour over ice cream. It's far too sweet for me as a drink.
    Charles said:

Moses_ said:

It's *not* latte.

It's *Chai* latte. A totally different drink - one, like many Indian drinks, is completely laced with sugar.

I occasionally have a small glass with a curry on a Sunday, but would never drink it in that quantity.

• Options

I always thought chai tea would make a nice syrup to pour over ice cream. It's far too sweet for me as a drink.

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

It's *not* latte.

Chai in India is generally served in tiny cups, and diabetes is extremely common there!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Moses_ said:

The solubility of sugar in water is 180mg per 100ml at room temperature, more when it is boiling. If a teaspoon is 5mg then it is highly feasible to have 26 teaspoons in a 500ml drink.

Public Health England has released a great new app that scans barcodes and translates these to teaspoons of sugar called Sugar Smart. It is both Apple and Android and scans barcodes. Have a play with it in your pantry. It can be quite alarming. It covers branded products much better than supermarkets own though.

There you go again, naively arguing with facts. Shame on you. Don't you know outrage Trumps facts these days?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited February 2016
    I'm more pro-EU than almost anyone here, but I'm not sure this article is quite right. On Myth 1, people were vaguely pessimistic about the deal without paying much attention, but days of the Tory press shouting THIS IS A CRAP DEAL has focused minds among their readers. My Guardian circle of friends say "Yeah, whatever" (we weren't sure we even wanted Cameron's demands) but they are not the people who shift with the Mail and the Sun. That's why opinion has shifted, as SeanF observes.

On Myth 2, roughly half the population is worried about immigration and they correctly identify EU free movement as being part of it, so it makes many of those more sceptical about the EU as a second-order effect, not something they highlight when asked about main concerns, but an association that comes to mind when specifically asked about the EU. Alastair points out that people who are less intensely concerned and worry more or less about one or the other move in different directions, but that's not really the point. People who worry a lot about the EU are often strongly motivated by immigration concerns, and they are largely already intending to vote Leave. The fact that leaving may not actually change much regarding free movement hasn't really sunk in.

Alastair is however right that this is much less true of floating voters on the referendum, so Leave banging on about immigration may not be their best strategy to win those over.

By the way, I'm not sure why CD13 identifies me as saying that people voted for full union in 1975. I don't think I've ever said that, and in general I don't think most people vote with a full picture of anything, ever. It would probably be fair to say that people voted for a trading arrangement with the vague possibility that it would later evolve to become more integrated, which is pretty much what has happened.

I was against in 1975, by the way, for the same reasons as Corbyn is not wildly enthusiastc now - it's altogether too dominated by commercial interests, in my opinion, though I've come round to the EU as the (in my view) best practical option for us in our globalised world.
  • Options

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

It's *not* latte.

you're sweet enough as it is ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Our commitment to you:

For too long, your voice has been ignored on Europe. We

IMHO this is the strongest argument for Vote Leave to use amongst the AB middle-class undecided.
  • Options
    I was brought up by a serious calories counting mother. We'd the entire kitchen wall covered in charts, everything from Maltesers to grapes. Literally thousands of items. I can't look at anything without this wall of shame springing to mind.

Not a healthy thing! Even 40 yrs later.
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

There is an app you can use on your phone that scans a products bar code and then informs you in spoons how much sugar it contains.
    As always blowed if I can find it now.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Moses_ said:

There you go again, naively arguing with facts. Shame on you. Don't you know outrage Trumps facts these days?
    The high solubility of sugar in hot liquids like coffee is easily demonstrated. It is very possible to dissolve 2 sugar cubes in an espresso.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Quite! However, one thing is undoubtedly true: Alastair Meeks (on this very unimportant! matter) has not shifted.
    He's making a bit of a fool of himself IMHO, and just keeps digging.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Moses_ said:

The high solubility of sugar in hot liquids like coffee is easily demonstrated. It is very possible to dissolve 2 sugar cubes in an espresso.
    I am sure there is a right wing conspiracy theory that provides an alternative explanation. Something to do with the govt genetically altering water to accommodate mind control drugs in coffee.
  • Options
    Best table from @LordAshcroft's Brexit poll in today's @TheSun. What on earth have we done to the Greeks? https://t.co/FFDZWRpS6g
  • Options

Sean_F said:

He's making a bit of a fool of himself IMHO, and just keeps digging.
    Nah he just disagrees with you.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You have a touching faith in these "codified" changes.

If the EU had TRIED to enforce greater political or economic union, we would have told them where to get off.

If the EU had TRIED to enforce the UK's membership of the Euro, or of the banking union, we would have told them where to get off.

Same with a European Army. These aren't "wins" by Cameron. They are just the EU admitting where we won't need to tell them to "Fuck off!"

It is not the promised New Settlement for Britain in Europe.
    If I was to be very generous to Cameron he has at best codified in some heads of terms (and it's worth pointing out this piece of paper has no legal force at the moment, and nor may it ever) the de-facto status quo in the EU, but he hasn't changed or reformed anything.
  • Options

Best table from @LordAshcroft's Brexit poll in today's @TheSun. What on earth have we done to the Greeks? https://t.co/FFDZWRpS6g

Holidayed there....
This discussion has been closed.