Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EURef campaign looks set to come down to Cameron versus

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:
    So do I. But we won't. We're going to have another 2008, a Lehman moment well before then. The OBR's view of 2.2% growth across the next few years is a fantasy. The coming crash will ruin Osborne's deficit plans and put our (and every other country's) politics into very difficult ground. What should be done when you're deep in recession, deep in debt and deep in deficit? The ammo has all been expended. We can't reduce interest rates any further!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    edited February 2016
    JohnO said:

Love or hate the Sun that is a fantastic front page.

MS mentions PMQs and this interests me, Corbyn has the opportunity to nail Cameron today but the Labour EU position probably prevents it. Its said that Corbyn isn't pro EU although reports aren't clear, he could make real headway here if he went on the attack.

What a strange world we live in, the Mail hammering Cameron, the Mirror appeasing him. Tells me all I need to know and what I've been saying for ages.

PMQs won't be that interesting but Cameron's statement at 12.30 will most assuredly be: how he responds to the hostility of a large number of his own backbenches and whether or not he conveys a sense that this is the final deal (or scope for substantive improvement at the summit) will be hugely important.
    I certainly hope someone will ask whether Cameron would ever be in a situation where he would vote/campaign for out.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

MS mentions PMQs and this interests me, Corbyn has the opportunity to nail Cameron today but the Labour EU position probably prevents it. Its said that Corbyn isn't pro EU although reports aren't clear, he could make real headway here if he went on the attack.

What a strange world we live in, the Mail hammering Cameron, the Mirror appeasing him. Tells me all I need to know and what I've been saying for ages.

The Sun's front page makes no sense. Unless you see the EU like Nazi Germany.
    Its not intended as a piece of great intellect, the Sun knows its target market. There is an assumption on here that tabloid readers are stupid, but they read headlines and vote. Cameron spent an awful lot of time with Mrs Brookes and Mr Coulson.
  • Options

@NickPalmer has this about right. Of the hostile papers shown above, only the Mail was potentially winnable.

Are the papers going to lead on this day in, day out? The Express presumably will, the Sun presumably won't (its readers aren't going to be looking for cerebral politics on a daily basis as their lead story). The Mail? That's two days running. Again, that will worry the Remainers.

Nice to see you off the fence at last.

I think the Sun is the one that could have been a winner for Dave. The Mail might have given a begrudging endorsement too.

Remain will probably win but beware condescension and hubris.
    I'm still very firmly on the fence. If this is it for the renegotiation, it's pretty unimpressive. I'm of the school that if the EU can't make a decent offer to Britain now, it illustrates its dysfunction.

The ravings of the Leave side do not attract me either though. As a Leaver, I hope you want to give some of your fellow supporters a hard slap. The EU is not populated by monsters.
    That was my position. I'm basically a centre-left chap and I don't want to line up with UKIP and Tory Right. But this deal is so weak and ineffectual at protecting non-Euro nations I don't have a choice.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2016

The Sun's front page makes no sense. Unless you see the EU like Nazi Germany.
    Well I hate to inform you, but I think there is a decent number of people who see it a bit like that (not myself I should hasten to add). I would think that front page plays very well to the Sun readership. Everybody knows Dad's Army and there is a significant number of people who feel the EU is basically Germany telling everybody else what to do.
  • Options

Unfortunately for Corbyn, Gary from Northampton will have written in about the high cost of stamps.
    Very good Sir
  • Options

Unfortunately for Corbyn, Gary from Northampton will have written in about the high cost of stamps.
    Very good Sir
    Thankee
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, you're taking it dreadfully seriously (and literally).

If I say Corbyn's as incompetent as Honorius that doesn't mean I think he'll literally have his best lieutenant executed after promising him safety.

It's a fascinating insight into the mindset of the hardened Leavers. The implied comparison between the EU and Nazi Germany is ludicrous the moment you think about it, yet it seems natural to those at the extreme end of the spectrum. It says so much about what Britain would be like if they had their way.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    A surplus by 2020? I hope so too, and I hope Dover Athletic win the Champions League, beating Spurs in the final.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JohnO said:

PMQs won't be that interesting but Cameron's statement at 12.30 will most assuredly be: how he responds to the hostility of a large number of his own backbenches and whether or not he conveys a sense that this is the final deal (or scope for substantive improvement at the summit) will be hugely important.
    I certainly hope someone will ask whether Cameron would ever be in a situation where he would vote/campaign for out.
    Why waste a question we know the answer to?
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, or it implies Cameron was meant to be defending our interest but has come across as a bit comical (as per Captain Mainwaring), which is why a comedy reference is used.

What do you think of the proposed deal?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Very good Sir
    After last week, does anybody believe the BS that Corbyn is only asking questions from normal people, when he pulled out a question supposedly from a member of the public which referred to a ruling that occurred less than 2 hours before PMQ's. You would have thought at least one journo might have thought that seems a bit suspicious....that Bob from Bognor managed to see a court ruling, think about the impacts of that and mail, it be vetted and passed on to JJ to be added to his list all in the space of less than a couple of hours.
  • Options

RobD said:
    A surplus by 2020? I hope so too, and I hope Dover Athletic win the Champions League, beating Spurs in the final.
    How much would you be willing to bet on either outcome? Would give a sense of the relative likelihoods ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

HYUFD said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

On benefits, politicians are going to have to bite the bullet and reform how you qualify for benefits. A four year residency qualification for British cirizens and disqualifying all children living abroad from child benefit would have done the job admirably.

Well that will go down well. Sorry but you have to wait 4 years before you get benefits because we are in the EU.
    I'd support such a change even if we left the EU. Benefits should be earned.
    Absolutely. We're practically the only EU country without a contributory element.
    Agree Ireland is the only other exception, indeed Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are the only other nations in the developed world who lack a contributory element to benefits. Although we do have contributory JSA for six months if you have paid enough NI
    There is also contributory ESA if you get ill. You get this whatever your income, if you have paid a certain level of NI in previous two tax years. If you haven't paid this, for whatever reason, then ESA is a means-tested, income-related benefit.
    Yes both that and contributory JSA paid regardless of savings
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, or it implies Cameron was meant to be defending our interest but has come across as a bit comical (as per Captain Mainwaring), which is why a comedy reference is used.

Do you see the EU as aggressive enemies?

As to the proposed deal, see below.
  • Options

@NickPalmer has this about right. Of the hostile papers shown above, only the Mail was potentially winnable.

Are the papers going to lead on this day in, day out? The Express presumably will, the Sun presumably won't (its readers aren't going to be looking for cerebral politics on a daily basis as their lead story). The Mail? That's two days running. Again, that will worry the Remainers.

I think the Sun is the one that could have been a winner for Dave. The Mail might have given a begrudging endorsement too.

I'm still very firmly on the fence. If this is it for the renegotiation, it's pretty unimpressive. I'm of the school that if the EU can't make a decent offer to Britain now, it illustrates its dysfunction.

The ravings of the Leave side do not attract me either though. As a Leaver, I hope you want to give some of your fellow supporters a hard slap. The EU is not populated by monsters.
    I have given out slaps many a time on here.

With respect I don't see any signs from you that you will do anything other than put a cross in the Remain box, however reluctantly.
  • Options
    Andy Burnham got trapped in the glass revolving door at Westminster tube yesterday apparently
  • Options

RobD said:

JohnO said:

Because it would put his response on the record? I suppose in your world there wouldn't be much point interviewing anyone, or questioning them in parliament/committees. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I don't think Graham Taylor has a turnip for a head either....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

City AM is the important one, along with Metro.

Amidst the endless frothing babble from demented europhiles, it seems to have escaped the attention of many on here (but not everyone in the City) that Cameron has acquired essentially zero protection against hostile caucusing by the eurozone. No protection for non euro members.

Apparently this is because of a late French intervention. Cameron was going to be offered a veto by Tusk, but Hollande stepped in and said Non.

This is the big stuff, hidden in plain sight. I predict that a few years after we vote REMAIN, this will become a huge issue and likely drive us out of the EU anyway, possibly via a second referendum, possibly not.

The French political elite will have a shock then next year when the anti Euro Marine Le Pen wins the first round if the French presidential election
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy Burnham got trapped in the glass revolving door at Westminster tube yesterday apparently

He was only trapped because he kept flipping flopping about which way he should try to get out....
  • Options
    Dave versus tomorrow's chip wrappers?

Interestingly the Dad's Army movie is out on Friday, so the country will see Dave as a slightly pompous, but utterly patriotic chap who would do anything to keep the country safe.

Dave won't mind that comparison, and is The Sun really comparing the EU to the Nazis?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He was only trapped because he kept flipping flopping about which way he should try to get out....
    Titter... for want of the like button.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I think our interest and the EU/eurozone interest is on a divergent course but we lack the protection and veto power to stop them imposing harmful (to us) measures.

Enemies? No. Different countries have different interests and putting them in straitjackets and trying to make one size fit all leads to idiocy like the eurozone.

We should leave because it is in our interest to do so (leaving aside the fact I think the EU will disintegrate and collapse during the course of my lifetime, and that leaving earlier will cause less pain when that happens).
  • Options

With respect I don't see any signs from you that you will do anything other than put a cross in the Remain box, however reluctantly.
    That's largely because Leave doesn't begin to address the question of what next if we vote leave. I'm not voting leave if that means turning our back on the 21st century.

What I'm deducing this morning is that lashings of xenophobia would be on the agenda, given the amusement the Sun front page is causing among the Leavers.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

If I say Corbyn's as incompetent as Honorius that doesn't mean I think he'll literally have his best lieutenant executed after promising him safety.

It's a fascinating insight into the mindset of the hardened Leavers. The implied comparison between the EU and Nazi Germany is ludicrous the moment you think about it, yet it seems natural to those at the extreme end of the spectrum. It says so much about what Britain would be like if they had their way.
    Hmm

How's it any different than the implied position of Remain ?

Remain's view that we need to stay in for "influence" is simply saying we need to control the dominant continental power by staying close to it. But the basic tenet is the same and has been UK policy for hundreds of years, we want to stop a dominant power telling us what to do. There is always a perceived dominant power, for centuries it was France now it's Germany in it's many guises.

Leave is simply more overt about stating it. Remain takes the sotto voce route.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Chris Grayling should defect to UKIP - he's clearly in the wrong party. At the very least he has to exit the cabinet, it's a europhilic circlejerk.
  • Options
    On the flip side, there's no protection for the City of London nor for the financial services industry.

So my intent to vote leave has gone up from 6 out of 10 to 8 out of 10.

Sorry Dave, you've left me unsatisfied, and I wasn't asking for much.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'I'm still very firmly on the fence'

Oh stop it please
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:
    How much would you be willing to bet on either outcome? Would give a sense of the relative likelihoods ;)
    If you read Patrick's informed post below you'll see how extremely unlikely a surplus in 4 years is. Dover winning the CL is impossible unless they qualify via winning the FA Cup, odds are about probability, the chances of a surplus are lower than my prediction of Dover's CL glory but only marginally. What price do you want?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Amidst the endless frothing babble from demented europhiles, it seems to have escaped the attention of many on here (but not everyone in the City) that Cameron has acquired essentially zero protection against hostile caucusing by the eurozone. No protection for non euro members.

Apparently this is because of a late French intervention. Cameron was going to be offered a veto by Tusk, but Hollande stepped in and said Non.

This is the big stuff, hidden in plain sight. I predict that a few years after we vote REMAIN, this will become a huge issue and likely drive us out of the EU anyway, possibly via a second referendum, possibly not.

Yet most of the media don't report it. Shows how lazy journos are. They just report what is put in front of them. No ability to step back and examine bigger picture.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

But the hardened europhiles spent DECADES caricaturing anyone sceptical of Europe - or, say, the euro - as mad, Fascist, bumbling, frothy-faced closet racists. Even when it was fairly apparent that most of them were perfectly lucid - and quite correct in their analysis of, say, the euro.

Only recently have europhiles grudgingly accept that their opponents have a case to answer, but you can still sense the sneering, just beneath the surface.

Both sides can be deeply unpleasant. But the sceptics have been proven right, more than their opponents.
    How on earth anyone could think Leave is populated by frothy-faced closet racists when they're comparing the EU with Nazi Germany is quite beyond me.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

JohnO said:

Because it would put his response on the record? I suppose in your world there wouldn't be much point interviewing anyone, or questioning them in parliament/committees. :p
    Yes and perhaps somebody could waste time asking him if he's ever fucked a pig. The answer to both is NO, as we all know.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    SeanT said:

Sat as I am up north rather than commuting into London from a cosy suburban semi I don't think the Metro and City AM are at all important. In London yes they will be but up north all we get is the usual papers and the Sun / Mail / Mirror will dictate the mood....

Oh the joys of being mid-contracts...
  • Options

I don't think Graham Taylor has a turnip for a head either....
    Some good humour on here today, bravo!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,508
    There are still some incredibly vague parts of "the deal" regarding the protection of UK interests from EZ dominance but other than that it appears to me that Cameron has largely got what he said he wanted. The problem he has, as shown by the headlines in the thread header, is what he said he wanted (or, more realistically, what he thought at the outset he could get) seems a very long way short of a new and different relationship with the EU.

As I said yesterday he has been hamstrung by the migrant crisis and there has been very little engagement with the broader themes of reform set out in his Bloomberg speech. Everyone on the continent is really focussed on more pressing matters.

So the choice is not really between a new, improved relationship with the EU and Leave. It is between what is for all practical purposes the current relationship with the EU and Leave. In my view Cameron should face up to that and acknowledge that is the case. An attempt to oversell his deal making it out to be more than it is would be seriously damaging to Remain because it is simply not credible.

In some ways this is the correct basis for the referendum. As some of the frothier Leavers have noted from time to time the EU does have a tendency to evolve over time and is not what we voted for in 1975. This process is not finished, it will never finish. The EZ in particular, having teetered on the brink in the last few years, needs more integration, control of budgets, taxation, etc if it is to avoid a repeat. I have always thought that the negotiation was something of a distraction from the real question of whether we want to stay in a Europe that will continue to evolve to ever closer Union (at least in large part) or not. Changes made today would not necessarily be there tomorrow; that is the nature of the beast.

I genuinely think that this decision is winnable for Leave and that we would be better situated in the EEA with a still close but looser relationship with the EU, what I have described on here as a form of "country membership". For Leave to win, however, it needs to start acting like adults and to engage in an adult discussion. The ranting against Cameron will prove counterproductive to those open to persuasion. There needs to be a clear vision of what Leave means and a commitment to the EEA. This means the "control of our borders" line needs to be substantially downplayed and a recognition that we will continue to be bound by a significant part of the EU's legislative output in the single market.

My suspicion is that Leave contains too many to whom this is unacceptable, to whom sovereignty is still some sort of 19th century ideal, where we could cut our own path in the world independent of all these entanglements. If so, there will not be a clear choice to Remain and if there is not Remain will win. Today has not increased my confidence that that kind of maturity will be predominant in the argument.

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

is The Sun really comparing the EU to the Nazis?

Er, yes. Yes it is.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2016
    For many people the issue with the EU is what they see in their children's schools, their GP surgeries, their quest for housing and the people they compete with for work. Comfy, cosseted Britain doesn't see or experience what those of modest means do.

If Cameron is seen to have failed on stemming the flow of people, along the welfare gravy train, Remain has problems.

The botch job with lunatic bureaucracy attached it - we now set pan European variable Child Benefit rates (idiotic) just sums the EU up.

The problem for leave is that it doesn't have a leader. Farage is a busted flush and should have walked away last May.
  • Options

On the flip side, there's no protection for the City of London nor for the financial services industry.

I have to agree with that. I was leaning towards remain for quite some time, but it's clear more and more everyday that the EU is at best disfuntional, and at worse a real danger for the European populus.
  • Options
    Time to start going balls deep on leave.

Montie: Personally, think Brexit unlikely this time. Ref=about keeping dream alive with 40%+ Scottish-type NO. Then electing Outer to succeed DCam.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    For someone who is supposedly undecided, Mr Meeks appears to be have lost all sense of humour when it comes to this mornings front pages. I think very few people would say the EU is remotely like Nazi Germany. The Sun's front page is mildly amusing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

SeanT said:

But the hardened europhiles spent DECADES caricaturing anyone sceptical of Europe - or, say, the euro - as mad, Fascist, bumbling, frothy-faced closet racists. Even when it was fairly apparent that most of them were perfectly lucid - and quite correct in their analysis of, say, the euro.

Only recently have europhiles grudgingly accept that their opponents have a case to answer, but you can still sense the sneering, just beneath the surface.

Both sides can be deeply unpleasant. But the sceptics have been proven right, more than their opponents.
    How on earth anyone could think Leave is populated by frothy-faced closet racists when they're comparing the EU with Nazi Germany is quite beyond me.

Probably just an exaggeration to make a point. I doubt anyone at the Sun thinks Merkel is a Nazi.

• Options
    The EU and the Nazis both:
    - would love to effectively abolish trade unions. It fits their crony corporatism.
    - would have the trains running on time. (think Postal directive)
    - have a single state governing the European continent.
    - have a democratic deficit.

Admittedly the EU doesn't have factories of death and didn't have to burn a parliament or declare war to takeover...
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

For someone who is supposedly undecided, Mr Meeks appears to be have lost all sense of humour when it comes to this mornings front pages. I think very few people would say the EU is remotely like Nazi Germany. The Sun's front page is mildly amusing.

Talk me through what you think the front page of the Sun is saying about the EU then.
  • Options
    Mr. Eek, the Metro's certainly available in Leeds, so it probably depends where you are outside of London as to whether you might see it.

Mr. Meeks, are you suggesting those of us who are likely to vote Leave are closet racists?

I must wonder if you'd be quite so relaxed about claims that some Remain voters want the UK to be subservient to the EU, and British democracy to become a mere town council to the nation-state of Europe [undoubtedly, a small minority of Remain voters do want that. But it'd be unfair to caricature the whole Remain vote that way, and suggesting Leave voters are racists doesn't necessarily dovetail with your insistence you're on the fence].
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    Pauly said:

- would love to effectively abolish trade unions. It fits their crony corporatism.

Admittedly the EU doesn't have factories of death and didn't have to burn a parliament or declare war to takeover...

Please don't make comparisons between the EU and the Nazis. I can't think of anything more likely to push me into the hands of Remain.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

is The Sun really comparing the EU to the Nazis?

Er, yes. Yes it is.
    Does that qualify under Godwin's law?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Probably just an exaggeration to make a point. I doubt anyone at the Sun thinks Merkel is a Nazi.

Exaggeration? Talk me through the points of resemblance that would justify the exaggeration.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Pauly said:

Please don't make comparisons between the EU and the Nazis. I can't think of anything more likely to push me into the hands of Remain.
    I was joking, don't worry. :D
    EDIT: But the idea that you would base your vote based of the ramblings of some idiot on the internet is even more infantile than my joke.
  • Options

I always thought you were a committed Remainer! This is interesting, Mr Meeks is a very intelligent man, perhaps you could inform me as to where this article is going wrong:

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/02/the-risks-of-remain-1-bigger-bills-eu-taxes-and-billions-in-bailouts.html
  • Options

SeanT said:

Exaggeration? Talk me through the points of resemblance that would justify the exaggeration.

Nazi Germany wanted to control Britain

The EU wants to control Britain.

(is the point they are making).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,189
    edited February 2016

*McDonnell breathes a sigh of relief....*

[edited for senior moment...!]
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Churchill was also in favour of a United States of Europe.

Churchill was also in favour of a democratic deficit all around the world.

Churchill sent in the troops to deal with trade unionist.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

You think he doesn't know this ?

He's just trolling the Outers.
  • Options
    Its fair to say I'm partisan but I'm not convinced the Leave campaign is as shambolic as people are painting it. You could argue there's no campaign, but stop people in the street and ask them to comment on it and 90% will stare blankly.

I live in a constituency that would be strongly OUT, perhaps that clouds my judgement.
  • Options

It's a while since I've seen it, but it strikes me that Dad's Army wasn't really about Nazi Germany - how many episodes actually featured Germans?
  • Options
    Off topic, thank Allah for Trump being all fart and no follow through.

From my trip to America I've gleaned that Cruz has the better ground game but the GOP establishment want to unify behind Rubio.

We might be headed for a brokered convention.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    I wrote this yesterday in response to Cyclefree. But as it was at midnight, many of you will have missed it. Therefore, I repost it for your interest:

---

The problem is this: as an island nation, with very different traditions of democracy and law, we are a poor fit for the EU. Unlike many of our neighbours, we are not subscale (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, etc.). Nor do we have fundamentally undefendable land borders (Germany, France). Nor do we have a history of fascism we'd like constrained (Portugal, Italy, Spain, Germany).

The countries of the EU have chosen a different path to us, and we will never be fully paid up to their vision. (And, contrary to the views of many on this site, support for the EU and the Euro is surprisingly strong on the continent.)

We need to leave with dignity, and offer our support to our neighbours. Our departure is good for us, and good for them, and needs to be framed like that. We must become, as we have been in the past, semi-detached.

This does not mean we hate them. This does not mean we wish them ill. It merely means the path they have chosen is not for us.

Too much Euroscepticism is just Eurohostility. We have different choices to a Belgium. We should not belittle their choices, because they are constrained by history, geography and numerous other factors.

This marriage doesn't work for us, and doesn't work for the EU. Let us leave with our heads held high, and in a spirit of constructiveness not in the hope that "we bring the whole edifice crashing down", as one PB commentator wrote.

It may be the EU and the Eurozone fall apart, thanks to Eurogeddon or the migrant crisis. But it should not be our obstructiveness that causes the collapse. Their future is theirs to make.

We must leave. But leave recognising we'll get on better, simply as "just good friends".
  • Options

It's a while since I've seen it, but it strikes me that Dad's Army wasn't really about Nazi Germany - how many episodes actually featured Germans?

"how many episodes actually featured Germans?"

Don't tell him Meeks.

• Options

Pauly said:

Churchill was also in favour of a United States of Europe.

Churchill was also in favour of a democratic deficit all around the world.

Churchill sent in the troops to deal with trade unionist.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, you've put forward a good argument for Churchill being equally flawed and fallible.
  • Options
    I'm afraid what we see from Mr. Meeks is the usual snobbishness we get from Europhiles. The notion that even if EU opponents may have a point now and again they really are rather small-minded, grubby and uncivilised people with whom one shouldn't really associate.

I remember years ago talking to a similar person at a dinner party in London who was baffled when I revealed I didn't like the EU. 'But you like opera', she said.

• Options
    Mr. Mark, I was wondering if you were making a subtle point.

Mr. Eagles, hope that, not unlike the Incredible Hulk, you're now all green.
  • Options

I always thought you were a committed Remainer! This is interesting, Mr Meeks is a very intelligent man, perhaps you could inform me as to where this article is going wrong:

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/02/the-risks-of-remain-1-bigger-bills-eu-taxes-and-billions-in-bailouts.html
    In the last year I've moved from Remainer to Leaver.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Curious. I thought the EU was something we are part of, not something that is done to us.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I wrote this yesterday in response to Cyclefree. But as it was at midnight, many of you will have missed it. Therefore, I repost it for your interest:

---

The problem is this: as an island nation, with very different traditions of democracy and law, we are a poor fit for the EU. Unlike many of our neighbours, we are not subscale (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, etc.). Nor do we have fundamentally undefendable land borders (Germany, France). Nor do we have a history of fascism we'd like constrained (Portugal, Italy, Spain, Germany).

The countries of the EU have chosen a different path to us, and we will never be fully paid up to their vision. (And, contrary to the views of many on this site, support for the EU and the Euro is surprisingly strong on the continent.)

We need to leave with dignity, and offer our support to our neighbours. Our departure is good for us, and good for them, and needs to be framed like that. We must become, as we have been in the past, semi-detached.

This does not mean we hate them. This does not mean we wish them ill. It merely means the path they have chosen is not for us.

Too much Euroscepticism is just Eurohostility. We have different choices to a Belgium. We should not belittle their choices, because they are constrained by history, geography and numerous other factors.

This marriage doesn't work for us, and doesn't work for the EU. Let us leave with our heads held high, and in a spirit of constructiveness not in the hope that "we bring the whole edifice crashing down", as one PB commentator wrote.

It may be the EU and the Eurozone fall apart, thanks to Eurogeddon or the migrant crisis. But it should not be our obstructiveness that causes the collapse. Their future is theirs to make.

We must leave. But leave recognising we'll get on better, simply as "just good friends".

Very good post. Or as I put it the other day...

Love Europe? Leave EU.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,047

MP_SE said:

Talk me through what you think the front page of the Sun is saying about the EU then.
    They're crow barring the leading line from the theme of a new film into the days top story without worrying too much about how it will play to firm undecideds?
  • Options
    The EU decision will mirror the Scotland one in many ways. I think William Cecil (Lord Burghley -Elisabeth I's chief adviser) had it spot on:

When rude Scotland vomits up a poison,must fine England lick it up for a restorative?
    (our Malc will love that one!)

So I ask you: When rude Brussels vomits up a poison, must the fine UK lick it up for a restorative?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

Ok shall we make predictions? Now we know the substance (I really don't think there's going to be a massive rabbit next week, but if you want to forlornly hope that, good luck)

Prediction 1. Will REMAIN get a boost in the polls? If so, how much?

I say Yes, but small. 3-4 points. Just by Cameron being on the telly and appearing reasonable.

Prediction 2. It's four months away, but what do PB-ers think will be the final score, as of this moment?

I'm going:

REMAIN: 56

LEAVE: 44

Strangely close to the indyref result.

A massive rabbit next week - well that will follow the massive turkey of a deal. In fact probably the only turkey that will be accepted by the French.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, I was wondering if you were making a subtle point.

Mr. Eagles, hope that, not unlike the Incredible Hulk, you're now all green.

I touched down back in Blighty at 8.30am and have been greening up my book ever since.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Curious. I thought the EU was something we are part of, not something that is done to us.
    Trip trap trip trap over the rickety bridge....

etc.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited February 2016
    Even if it's half this sum. Yowser. I'd run far away from such a deal myself, it'll ruin their brand and other trade.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3428520/Germany-spend-400-MILLION-multi-year-contract-housing-10-000-refugees-Holiday-Inn-hotels.html
  • Options

In the last year I've moved from Remainer to Leaver.
    Good for you!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,208
    Patrick said:

RobD said:
    So do I. But we won't. We're going to have another 2008, a Lehman moment well before then. The OBR's view of 2.2% growth across the next few years is a fantasy. The coming crash will ruin Osborne's deficit plans and put our (and every other country's) politics into very difficult ground. What should be done when you're deep in recession, deep in debt and deep in deficit? The ammo has all been expended. We can't reduce interest rates any further!
    Do a Japanese Patrick , get them negative, hand out more money , but don't give it to bankers this time , give it to the plebs and it will be spent in UK rather than salted away in tax havens..
  • Options

SeanT said:

That's where you are going wrong.
  • Options
    Very good. Might steal.

You may discuss terms with my agent...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

RobD said:
    Do a Japanese Patrick , get them negative, hand out more money , but don't give it to bankers this time , give it to the plebs and it will be spent in UK rather than salted away in tax havens..
    Negative interest rates is an outright admission of abject failure to control the money supply and deficit. Japan delenda est. Just don't go there. Do you REALLY believe the right answer for the UK's troubles is to charge people to put their money in a bank? Are you just another rude Scot vomiting up some poison for me to lick?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

@ Alistair Meeks

No of course it's not full of monsters. The Luftwaffe isn't going to mass in the Pas de Calais and start rumbling over Kent ( in fact from the bits I read I doubt more than a handful could get off the ground). Leavers are not all invoking 1940, or 1805, or 1588 for that matter. It's about the 21st century and is the EU fit for purpose in a world where Europe is going to get relatively smaller whatever we all do?

What it is full of is incompetent leaders and a political class that seems intent on making a total Horlicks of the world as it is now. In my view till about Maastricht it was doing ok in trying to improve the nuts and bolts of how several rich (or fairly rich) European nations mutually improved their lot in the world that existed as it did then. Since we seem to have slid into world where the salami slice drive to some faux unity has taken precedence over what actually works in the modern world:

The Euro - need we say more?

Freedom of movement - it's not 1957 where six rich (or with Italy getting there fast) countries were swapping a few tens of thousands of workers, and the internet and Easy Jet didn't exist. Opening to up tens of millions of crushingly poor people at a stroke (in our case) was always going to cause ructions. How many British brickies and sparkies are now earning less than they would have without E European immigration? I'm all right Jack - it all benefits me personally, but not millions of other UK workers I'm sure. Then we add in the insanity of Mutti Merkel's flinging open the borders to all and sundry last year. How many will get German passports one day and so have the right to come here? We simply don't control our borders, despite being uniquely well placed so to do..

European courts - ever more intrusive. Frankly I think just about anything will get circumvented in the long run by European judges whittling away at pushing down a one way street.

CAP- Set up so Germany could pay France war reparations without calling them that. 37% (I think was the last figure I read) of EU expenditure going on agriculture. Sounds about right for the economy of 1816 not 2016. Just farcical, and zero desire to reform from too many on the continent.

We had a chance to do something meaningful about all of this, set up a genuine semi detached relationship to both our benefits - they can crack on and integrate if they wish (and need to if the Euro is to work), and not have us constantly foot dragging behind. It seems (unless rabbits of a kangaroo size are to be pulled out at the last minute), to have flunked this totally and got waffle, and totally risible "emergency brakes".

It's all desperately disappointing stuff and will condemn us and the Continent to decades of more of the same rubbing along badly getting irritated with each other rather than actually having a genuinely more distant but (yes really!) friendlier relationship.

• Options
    Patrick said:

The EU decision will mirror the Scotland one in many ways. I think William Cecil (Lord Burghley -Elisabeth I's chief adviser) had it spot on:

When rude Scotland vomits up a poison,must fine England lick it up for a restorative?
    (our Malc will love that one!)

So I ask you: When rude Brussels vomits up a poison, must the fine UK lick it up for a restorative?

Patrick I know who has been administering that poison for 300 years , scoundrels.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ok shall we make predictions? Now we know the substance (I really don't think there's going to be a massive rabbit next week, but if you want to forlornly hope that, good luck)

Prediction 1. Will REMAIN get a boost in the polls? If so, how much?

I say Yes, but small. 3-4 points. Just by Cameron being on the telly and appearing reasonable.

Prediction 2. It's four months away, but what do PB-ers think will be the final score, as of this moment?

I'm going:

REMAIN: 56

LEAVE: 44

Strangely close to the indyref result.

Happy to stick with my 60/40 Remain prediction from the New Year. Remain has been worse than I anticipated then, but so has Leave.

Leave should read @rcs1000's post below carefully. I suggested several months ago that Leave should campaign under the slogan "let's just be friends". It doesn't need to attract the ranters and the angry (they'll be scooped up anyway), it needs to attract people who sincerely believe that Britain would be better with a more detached relationship with the rest of the EU, the people who don't think the EU is automatically evil, just inefficient and not geared to the UK's needs.

Revisiting the Second World War isn't going to do anything to impress them.
  • Options

That's largely because Leave doesn't begin to address the question of what next if we vote leave. I'm not voting leave if that means turning our back on the 21st century.

What I'm deducing this morning is that lashings of xenophobia would be on the agenda, given the amusement the Sun front page is causing among the Leavers.
    So you admit you'd vote Remain then. Thanks for clearing that up.

On your broader points, people like Robert Smithson, Sean Fear, Richard Tyndall and myself have laid out on here many times credible alternate models for the UK outside the EU.

If Leavers are frustrated today, I can't say I blame them given the degree of wool pulling and weaselling going on at the top of the Conservative Party whilst misrepresenting it as a great success.

The thing is, I think logically you have some sympathy with the Brexit PoV but you really don't like most of those who make it so are letting your heart rule your head.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, just for historical context, 'Carthage delenda est' was a phrase uttered by Cato at the end of every speech, meaning Carthage must be destroyed.

Reasonably sure you don't mean Japan must be destroyed :p
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

They're crow barring the leading line from the theme of a new film into the days top story without worrying too much about how it will play to firm undecideds?
    This.

There were similar Photoshop jobs when Star Wars came out. Just not on the front cover of a national newspaper.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I agree. I reckon around a 60/40 win for Remain, or possibly even more.

The only game-changer I can see is the migrant crisis, but I think that's an outside chance.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

RobD said:
    Negative interest rates is an outright admission of abject failure to control the money supply and deficit. Japan delenda est. Just don't go there. Do you REALLY believe the right answer for the UK's troubles is to charge people to put their money in a bank? Are you just another rude Scot vomiting up some poison for me to lick?
    I know what I would give you to lick my boy
  • Options

Mr. Patrick, just for historical context, 'Carthage delenda est' was a phrase uttered by Cato at the end of every speech, meaning Carthage must be destroyed.

Reasonably sure you don't mean Japan must be destroyed :p

Indeed. In Latin the literal meaning is 'Japan is ruined'.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

RobD said:
    So negative interest rates: Yes that should break anyone with a final salary pension scheme to finance (as values are discounted back from benchmark interest and gilt yields) - so a big chunk of the FTSE 250 will nose dive at warp speed, with predictable consequences for jobs.
    Still when Mark Carney gives me my own fresh £100 I shall skip with a light heart to the bank and change it (while I can) into something more likely to keep its value Swiss Francs, or Venezuelan Bolivars.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, ah, thanks for the correction. My Latin's shoddy and the translation I read was that delenda was a gerundive ['must be destroyed/is to be destroyed'].
  • Options

Delighted to have you on board TSE. Would appreciate your PoV on how we can help make the best centrist moderate case for Brexit possible.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    edited February 2016
    @Alistairmeeks I expect most people will see the Sun Headline for the light hearted, kitsch bit of humour it is.

I doubt it will persuade many either way.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    When people say they don't know what leave would mean... it would mean being an independent country - free to follow the model of any existing independent country (or chart our own course) and there are lots currently to choose from.
    We could start negotiations to join any trade bloc, customs union or start negotiations for free trade deals with countries that the government of the day chooses.
    Please don't be fooled by the economic doom-saying from the people who did exactly the same with the possibility that we might not join the euro.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

RobD said:
    I know what I would give you to lick my boy
    Are you a wee Jessie too? Hadn't figured you as that way inclined! ;-)
  • Options
    Pauly said:

When people say they don't know what leave would mean... it would mean being an independent country - free to follow the model of any existing independent country (or chart our own course) and there are lots currently to choose from.
    We could start negotiations to join any trade bloc, customs union or start negotiations for free trade deals with countries that the government of the day chooses.
    Please don't be fooled by the economic doom-saying from the people who did exactly the same with the possibility that we might not join the euro.

What about all the Better Together , Pooling and Sharing bollox , Europe will not negotiate with us , we will all lose our pensions , NHS , etc
    Bloody hypocrites
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

Was with you til that post. The EU ain't Nazi Germany but neither is Leave campaign closet racists. Don't even make any sense - how does seeing other people as Nazis make you a racist? Bit daft.
  • Options
    Ireland's general election campaign kicks off for Feb 26th polling day #GE16 https://t.co/OxowafoinZ
  • Options

SeanT said:

I really wouldn't take the front page of The Sun too seriously.

They've dressed up Cameron as a new born baby and Osborne as a strutting transvestite with high-heeled shoes in the past.
  • Options
    The Sun front-page is being used as a dead cat this morning...
  • Options

Delighted to have you on board TSE. Would appreciate your PoV on how we can help make the best centrist moderate case for Brexit possible.
    The last general election, like most elections, was won by economic security/stability, not about immigration.

Just keep on preaching it isn't in our economic interests to remain.

Cite things like this

Britain has been dragged into the eurozone’s efforts to rescue Greece through a Brussels legal manoeuvre that has angered London and complicated David Cameron’s efforts to renegotiate UK membership terms in the EU.

Disregarding strong objections from British ministers, the European Commission on Wednesday proposed using a mothballed EU-wide rescue fund — the European Financial Stability Mechanism — to give Greece the €7bn it needs to cover debt repayments on Monday.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6d92bbe2-2b04-11e5-8613-e7aedbb7bdb7.html#axzz3z62YPMOf
  • Options
    'If Leavers are frustrated today, I can't say I blame them given the degree of wool pulling and weaselling going on at the top of the Conservative Party whilst misrepresenting it as a great success.'

There's another point being missed here. If some people are angry about the EU it is because this deception has been going on for forty years.

The public have been treated with complete contempt by our political class and the upper echelons of the civil service (and the new 'deal' is just the latest edition of this). These are the people the ire of the tabloids would better be directed at - our European neighbours have only done what they always said they would do from the very start.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    malcolmg said:

Pauly said:

What about all the Better Together , Pooling and Sharing bollox , Europe will not negotiate with us , we will all lose our pensions , NHS , etc
    Bloody hypocrites
    I agree, the Scottish (as with the European) referendum is a question of political rule and governance rather than economics. Iceland with a population of approximately 300,000(2013) manages perfectly well, and so would Scotland or the UK.
  • Options
    And people who feel that are already voting Leave, where is the message for the rest?

Leave need to stop moaning and start converting.
    runnymede said:

'If Leavers are frustrated today, I can't say I blame them given the degree of wool pulling and weaselling going on at the top of the Conservative Party whilst misrepresenting it as a great success.'

There's another point being missed here. If some people are angry about the EU it is because this deception has been going on for forty years.

The public have been treated with complete contempt by our political class and the upper echelons of the civil service (and the new 'deal' is just the latest edition of this). These are the people the ire of the tabloids would better be directed at - our European neighbours have only done what they always said they would do from the very start.

This discussion has been closed.